Type keyword(s) to search

Season 17: Last Chance Kitchen and What Would Tom Do?

SailorGirl
  • Start Topic

On 5/13/2020 at 5:16 AM, biakbiak said:

They have done that in the past as well. Once they reboot LCK the chefs from the first half don’t have to show up. This is probably based on how they film LCK in big batches. 

Kevin confirmed on IG and during distribution of his take home dinners last week that LCK was basically a really long day of filming at certain points. Someone said they noticed two ousted chefs before Karen got back in had switched shirts. He said that was possible but that he wasn't in it at that point so he couldn't confirm that. 

By the way, his country captain is really good.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

ETA I don't watch LCK but come here to see the outcome. What happened this week? Was the winner not shown

Kevin won. (Tom said he had one more to beat)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Thanks. If I am understanding it correctly you are saying that he still has one more person to beat next week? I think my post was confusing when I asked because I thought last week's episode is when it was posted that someone said Kevin would have one more person to beat not this week's episode. 

yeah- I know what you're saying. I thought last week Tom said "just one more," and that was discussed here. But then this week he said the same thing! Maybe we all heard it wrong last week. I still don't understand the numbers. There are 6 now left in the main competition? So after next week 5? That's early for the LCK person to go back I think? And I guess that means whoever of that 6 gets cut is out for good? Or good lord are they going to do ANOTHER LCK?

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

yeah- I know what you're saying. I thought last week Tom said "just one more," and that was discussed here. But then this week he said the same thing! Maybe we all heard it wrong last week. I still don't understand the numbers. There are 6 now left in the main competition? So after next week 5? That's early for the LCK person to go back I think? And I guess that means whoever of that 6 gets cut is out for good? Or good lord are they going to do ANOTHER LCK?

Last week Tom said one more to beat and then you'll be in the LCK finals - whatever that means. This week he said one more to be back in. So whatever that means...

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Last week Tom said one more to beat and then you'll be in the LCK finals - whatever that means. This week he said one more to be back in. So whatever that means...

HA HA. That explains everything!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just re-watched the final minute of LCK. This is Tom's actual quote:

"Kevin, you have one more chef to beat before you get the opportunity to get back into the competition."

Sounds like, one more actual LCK challenge and then perhaps something like a sudden-death quickfire in the main competition? Just a guess.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

"Kevin, you have one more chef to beat before you get the opportunity to get back into the competition."

so we had the sort-a seimi-final then the sort-a final and then maybe a couple more "challenges." LOL.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

IIRC, this scenario was from a season before the debut of LCK, but I remember that they somehow brought back Jeff McInnis (blonde chef from Miami) just before the finale episodes and he had to win the elimination challenge in order to make it to the finale. He did well, but didn't win the EC, so he didn't make the finale. Anyway, that's another scenario from a past season. 

Who knows what they're going to do this time. 😕 

• Love 2

I can't believe how much I dislike Kevin after having loved him previously. On the other hand, as much as I used to love Lee Anne, she definitely turned me off this season. Oh well.

I didn't see any love lost between Kevin and Lee Anne. 

• Love 7

I still like Kevin. He certainly effed up Restaurant Wars (and did the first time as well) and has a blind spot for the inequities of the romanticized South, but I think he's a fine fellow.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, buttersister said:

Ugh, Humble Kevin strikes again---wow, I don't do eggs but I made a better egg dish than the Egg Girl. 

I think it's interesting that some of the LCK challenges seem designed to either be a softball for or test the alleged special skill of the most recently eliminated chef - for example, sauces for Jen Carroll and eggs for Leanne. Both of them failed to crush the challenges that should have been in their wheelhouse.

It could be nerves, it could be that they are just tired. But they sure can't say that the challenge was somehow unfair.

• Love 3
On 5/18/2020 at 6:29 AM, Ashforth said:

It could be nerves, it could be that they are just tired. But they sure can't say that the challenge was somehow unfair.

Leeanne managed to blame Tom for distracting her when she cut herself. Everything's someone else's fault!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So they accidentally posted the Season Finale on YouTube, and basically: Kevin had to beat 2 out of the 3 chefs still in the competition to make it back into the game. He chose Malarkey (beat him), Bryan V (lost), and chose Gregory (beat him).

Which means Kevin is back in. 

• Love 2

Malarkey: "I don't need no wooden spoon!"

The entire peanut gallery: "Yeah, you do. . . "

I have so much admiration for Kevin and his funky soup. The dude was seriously committed to the theme.

• Love 8

Gregory volunteered.  I found Kevin smug in this episode.  Of course none of chefs wanted him back.  It’s another person they have to complete against.  Stephanie was the most honest about it. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, tribeca said:

Gregory volunteered.  I found Kevin smug in this episode.  Of course none of chefs wanted him back.  It’s another person they have to complete against.  Stephanie was the most honest about it. 

Yeah, but going through LCK and beating 2 of the 3 chefs still left in, I would be smug too, 🤷‍♀️ but that’s just me.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Yeah, but going through LCK and beating 2 of the 3 chefs still left in, I would be smug too, 🤷‍♀️ but that’s just me.

I found him smug the whole episode.  I liked him better in his season.  

• Love 5

LCK Part 1: As I said in the episode thread, when you're told to PYKAG, not just once, but twice in the same competition, you should stay eliminated. Bye Karen. 

LCK Part 2: Malarkey's crazy to try to serve updated risotto to Tom and expect a win out of it. Skillet risotto, not stirred and with broth added at the end? Yeah, that was NEVER gonna win. Kevin's seafood risotto looked amazing!

I loved that Kevin picked Bryan V. to go up against in challenge 2. As long as he won the first challenge against Malarkey, he could afford to take a loss in the middle challenge and give both himself and Bryan the chance to go head to head against each other as they both have wanted, possibly their only opportunity to do so, but I'm still hoping that challenge was a preview of the finals.  Although Bryan had the winning soup, I really wish I could try Kevin's stinky soup. That looked yummy to me.

I didn't think Gregory's rice dumplings showcased the dough enough and I don't think Tom thought so either. Kevin took the risk that he wouldn't have enough time for his cornbread topper to bake and was, I believe, properly rewarded with the win when it turned out well. I wanted to eat that too!

I'm delighted that Kevin's back in the competition.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, SweetSable said:

It sounds like the contestants who are still in the competition are competing in Last Chance Kitchen.  

They were competing against Kevin to keep him out of the main competition; there was no danger of one of them being eliminated.

Kevin beat Karen in the first round of LCK, so she is out.  Then the remaining contestants from the main competition (Gregory, Melissa, Bryan, Stephanie & Malarkey) were brought in to cook against Kevin - if he beat 2 out of 3 he would get back into the main competition, which he did do.  Anyone of the 5 remaining competitors who did not beat Kevin were not in danger of being eliminated; they were only cooking against him to keep him out.  Now there are six competitors in the main competition, since Kevin got back in.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, raven said:

They were competing against Kevin to keep him out of the main competition; there was no danger of one of them being eliminated.

Kevin beat Karen in the first round of LCK, so she is out.  Then the remaining contestants from the main competition (Gregory, Melissa, Bryan, Stephanie & Malarkey) were brought in to cook against Kevin - if he beat 2 out of 3 he would get back into the main competition, which he did do.  Anyone of the 5 remaining competitors who did not beat Kevin were not in danger of being eliminated; they were only cooking against him to keep him out.  Now there are six competitors in the main competition, since Kevin got back in.

Thank you for the explanation.  It's early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet - my brain wasn't making any sense out of what I was reading!  

Hoping Kevin doesn't win though.

• Love 5

Malarkey: "I don't need no wooden spoon!"

The entire peanut gallery: "Yeah, you do. . . "

That was delightful editing. The resigned "yeah...you do" was a great window into how the chefs seem to see Malarkey as a bit of a clown.

Bryan's laugh makes me smile, every time.

Ultimately it felt like a foregone conclusion that Kevin was going to make it back in. It would seem to defeat the purpose of LCK if no one actually made it back into the competition, right?!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SoCal Mema said:

Anybody but Kevin for the win.  California - land of fruit & nuts, really?

Yeah, really???

So, Kevin's back. Yuck. Guess they're going to go the Chopped sob story route and give the win to him. A disappointing end to a mostly good season, if that's what happens.

• Love 3

It literally never crossed my mind that Kevin's "Land of Fruit and Nuts" comment was anything but referring to California's agriculture sector, which produces some ungodly percentage of the nation's output. Like, more than half.

• Love 10

It seemed as if that’s how everyone in LCK took it, or at least there was no reaction and no tittering in response that we saw. And it’s true that a ton of the domestic crops of both are grown here in California. 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

It literally never crossed my mind that Kevin's "Land of Fruit and Nuts" comment was anything but referring to California's agriculture sector, which produces some ungodly percentage of the nation's output. Like, more than half.

Nah. It's a rather tired old put-down. Very insulting. I haven't heard it used in years, but you used to hear it a lot from people who looked down on California and Californians as "different" and "not like us."

And California is the agricultural center of the nation, but that's not what this insult was inspired by.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I lived in the Bay Area in California in the 80s, and "land of fruit and nuts" was a common put-down of California culture from some parts of the rest of the country. It was not very funny then, and it REALLY has not aged well. I haven't heard it in decades, because, you know, it's just not cool to call gay people "fruits."

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I lived in the Bay Area in California in the 80s, and "land of fruit and nuts" was a common put-down of California culture from some parts of the rest of the country. It was not very funny then, and it REALLY has not aged well. I haven't heard it in decades, because, you know, it's just not cool to call gay people "fruits."

Yeah, said with a sneering tone about "Hollyweird," too.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Kevin's "Land of Fruit and Nuts"

So what with this, and his "plantation cooking" from restaurant wars, has Kevin revealed himself to be a bit of a .... well I don't want to use another stereotype word, so I won't. But he stood facing away from the sun for too long.

I also thought EVERYTHING was preordained. From him beating Karen (I think she was doomed before she started), to him splitting the fist two competitions, to winning the third.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 11

No surprises, although I don't like this twist.   Why have the active chefs come in to try an keep him out? The rest of us knew there was no way that they didn't bring Kevin back....and why did he get to choose who to cook against? 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, carrps said:
4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Nah. It's a rather tired old put-down. Very insulting. I haven't heard it used in years, but you used to hear it a lot from people who looked down on California and Californians as "different" and "not like us."

And California is the agricultural center of the nation, but that's not what this insult was inspired by.

At first I thought it was an insult. Then I thought Kevin probably didn't mean it that way. Then I thought about Kevin's comments re: plantation cooking. If it were the "fruit and nuts" comment by itself I might give Kevin the benefit of the doubt, but in combination with the apparent lack of understanding of why "plantation cooking" might be unacceptable, I just have a gut feeling that he meant it as an insult.

• Love 9

Not sure what to think about Kevin’s, um, unfortunate choice of words.

It was impressive, however, that he had to do four straight QF’s.  That must have been exhausting.

The rest of us knew there was no way that they didn't bring Kevin back

Do you really think Tom wouldn’t have given Gregory the win if he thought his was better, catrice2?  It seemed to me that it was set up to be winnable for Kevin if he had picked the “lesser" chefs, but Kevin didn’t play along and chose two opponents who absolutely could have taken him out.

• Love 2