Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E07: We're in the Majors

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Some winners sprint their way to an opportunity to gain an edge over the other castaways. One tribe employs a different strategy in a rigorous immunity challenge.

Original airdate 3/25/20

Please don't post in this thread until the episode has aired.

NICK AND MICHELE YOU ARE DEAD TO ME!  *cries* So bummed to see Yul go. (Also, screw you Wendell for making your team lose by 1 second because you couldn’t keep your mouth shut!)

Awwww Sandra, I still love you! I don’t read spoilers so boy, was I wrong about her not leaving EOE! She noped on out of there as soon as humanly possible lol. It was sad seeing all the old schoolers there. Those are the people I really wanted to see play. I’m also sad we didn’t get to see the players still in the game react to Parvati and Sandra getting voted out. 

I know I’m in the minority but I love Adam. He’s who I’m pulling for now. (Which probably means he’s doomed. Sorry, Adam.) I don’t know why but I just have a soft spot for that kid! And not just because he reminds me of Joey McIntyre. I really hope they merge soon, I’m tired of having to root for Ben in order for Adam to be safe.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16

Well, poop. The old school sweep is complete. This didn't hurt as bad as some because I wasn't a HUGE Yul fan, but it stinks nonetheless.

It was so close to being a perfect episode, with some classic Rob shenanigans and cocky charm (or charming cockiness) and some relatively light-hearted, no harm no foul gameplay on two out of three tribes. The only sour note was Wendell (and I don't think you can pin all of his sourness on being around Michele anymore).

I still continue to be impressed by how much they're packing into these episodes, though, with 3 tribes and EoE to touch on. So I'm still enjoying it.

1 minute ago, LanceM said:

Probst has really got stop with the "the game is too fast" for the old schoolers nonsense. No Probst the old schoolers are getting voted out because they are outnumbered. Simple as that. The new schoolers are also much closer to each other outside the game because they ahve all played recently and are still trying to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

I feel like if the new schoolers had to play an old school game, they would have a harder time.  But I agree, the old schoolers were out numbered to begin with (castings fault, because you can't tell me they couldn't get more old schoolers than they did).  I remember this was the argument Stephenie and Tom made during HvsV, that the older seasons were more outnumbered by people who played together, and recently.  They weren't exactly wrong.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I hope keeping Wendell around comes back to bite Michele.  I don't know when he got to be so unlikable.  I barely remember him from his first season, so maybe he was unlikable then but they protected him with the edit. 

I think Wendell benefited from Domenick being there in his first season. They were the dominant pair, but Domenick was more...out there, I guess, and drew most of the negative attention, right or wrong.

4 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I know I’m in the minority but I love Adam. He’s who I’m pulling for now. (Which probably means he’s doomed. Sorry, Adam.) I don’t know why but I just have a soft spot for that kid! And not just because he reminds me of Joey McIntyre. I really hope they merge soon, I’m tired of having to root for Ben in order for Adam to be safe.

I'm digging Adam, too, strangely. The show isn't missing any opportunity to show him messing up or being wrong, which makes me pull for him.

6 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I'm not going to watch tonight's episode - at least not now.  It would be too painful!  Would someone be able to fill me in on how fire tokes were gained or bequeathed tonight?

I believe Yul split his between Sarah and Sophie. There were four up for grabs on EoE: Tyson got one and Rob got 3 XD

Or maybe what LanceM said below.

Edited by tracyscott76
Too many tokens to keep track of
Just now, Jextella said:

I'm not going to watch tonight's episode - at least not now.  It would be too painful!  Would someone be able to fill me in on how fire tokes were gained or bequeathed tonight?

Lets see...

Tyson found 1 on EOE

Rob fund 3 on EOE

Michelle stupidly gave 1 to Wendell

Yul bequethed 2 tokens to Sophie

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Lets see...

Tyson found 1 on EOE

Rob fund 3 on EOE

I missed Michele giving one to Wendell, probably because I find them irritating.

Hmm, I thought Yul gave one each to Sophie and Sarah, but it happened fast so I might have seen wrong. I hope he did give both to Sophie, actually.

6 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Lets see...

Tyson found 1 on EOE

Rob fund 3 on EOE

Thank you!  I hope Yul and Nick are cool outside the game.

• Love 1

The Winners at War wiki entry already has Sarah and Sophie getting one each, and as we all know, that's gospel XD

I loved when the debate about who had an idol was going on, and Sophie just casually said "I think we should stop the idol talk, because soon it's going to come out that I have it it's dividing us."

4 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

The Winners at War wiki entry already has Sarah and Sophie getting one each, and as we all know, that's gospel XD

I loved when the debate about who had an idol was going on, and Sophie just casually said "I think we should stop the idol talk, because soon it's going to come out that I have it it's dividing us."

My favorite part of that was when Sarah, Sophie, and Ben were sitting on the log eating peanut butter and jelly, and Sarah was all "go through my bag."  But I just loved how Ben looked like he didn't have shit to worry about it and was in the best spot possible.  Like it didn't even dawn on him that he's just as disposable as Adam is to Sarah and Sophie (and clearly getting played by those two as well).

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Oh Yul Yul Yul.

But isn't Kim  "old school?"  She is still there, has not yet been targeted by anyone, and I am rooting for her.  Failing her, Sophie or Sarah.

Oh my beloved Ethan.  Looks like he will have to go out on a medical evac.

And Rob, can there be any more of a signal that he will come back in?  I hate it.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, LanceM said:

I stand corrected. I must get my eyesight checked. So Sophie and Sarah each got a token from Yul. I guess that awnsers the question on whether or not you can split up your tokens when you get voted out.

Am I the only who is more interested in the players on EOE? lol. I especially liked the scene between Ethan and Parvati. I wish they had focused more on that duo while they were still in the game.

In fairness, he didn't go "plunk...plunk", it was more like a simultaneous plunk, and their bins were right next to each other, so it was easy to miss.

I don't think you're even close to the only one more interested in EoE. The Ethan/Parvati convo was great, the token hunt was great, even Sandra leaving was interesting...she made no bones about it, no excuses, just "I'm never gonna get back in, I've done all I can, I'm happy with it."

I did notice that when the Edgers all took off running for the tokens, and Parvati (I think) exclaimed "are we just going to leave the rice on the fire??"...you could see someone hanging back, which I think was Amber. It tickles me to think that the mom of 4 instinctively removed the rice while everyone else just booked out of there XD

1 minute ago, princelina said:

And then that little chin tickle she gave him after they voted off Yul?  Barf. 

Yeah, that was ick. He ate it up, too. And yet earlier, she was indignant when he was talking down to her, when he thought SHE was talking down to him. That is a weird dynamic they've got going there.

3 minutes ago, princelina said:

I hope so too!  Clearly he's a dick and she's the kind of girl who likes to chase guys who are dicks.  She gave him a fire token to make him happy with her? And then that little chin tickle she gave him after they voted off Yul?  Barf.  I don't mind Adam.

By a mile!  I'd love to see the new-schoolers win a slice of pizza for a reward 😄 

Add me to the list of peeps who would like to see a different challenge than "bag of puzzle pieces" - how about a good old fashioned "how well do you know your tribemates" quiz, or one where they get to break each others urns?

Yeah, her whole 'I just wanted to see you shake in your boots' was stupid.  I think she's looking for something from Wendell, and that's why she doesn't want to vote him off.  Whether it's an apology or what I don't know.

I'd like the new schoolers to play without idols, advantages, twists, and minimal scrambling.  I also miss the days of skimpy rewards.  Even when castaways got blankets and pillows it was like two, not a whole bedroom set.  And their food rewards were usually gone within a couple of days (besides the chickens).  Now food rewards last them longer.  

I really want a throwback coconut chopping challenge.  That totally turned the tide of the game in Marquesas.

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Probst has really got stop with the "the game is too fast" for the old schoolers nonsense. No Probst the old schoolers are getting voted out because they are outnumbered. Simple as that. The new schoolers are also much closer to each other outside the game because they ahve all played recently and are still trying to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

I wonder how things would have gone had they made this season an Old School vs. New School season and so had an even number between the two. Old School could have been anyone from the first 15 seasons for example and New School from the latter seasons. I wonder if that would have played out significantly differently. So you would have Sandra and Parv, Rob, Yul, etc. all on the same tribe from the start. 

8 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think Wendell and Michelle are in the "broken up, but still kinda sorta like each other and want to push each others' buttons" stage. Which when you're out on the island together means they totally want to shag.

I don't know, maybe for Michelle but I get nothing but plain dismissive and irritation from Wendell's end towards Michelle. 

• Love 21

As Yul's name appeared on the radar I could almost hear the groans of worry across TV Land. I'm guessing a lot of viewer interest just dropped exponentialy. 

Sandra thumbs her nose at the triple crown and checks out for a vacation on CBS's dime.

Clever editing with Rob and finding the fire tokens. Appreciated them doing something different.

Wendall/Michelle relationship drama is tiresome and I thought we'd be rid of it tonight. I always felt these ex-survivors were a little too incestuos with there "wine and cheese" clubs and televised poker games. It'd better when they are strangers.

I don't even remember Wendall from his season. Could he have been popular then because now he just seems like a tool.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I wonder how things would have gone had they made this season an Old School vs. New School season and so had an even number between the two. Old School could have been anyone from the first 15 seasons for example and New School from the latter seasons. I wonder if that would have played out significantly differently. So you would have Sandra and Parv, Rob, Yul, etc. all on the same tribe from the start. 

I don't know, maybe for Michelle but I get nothing but plain dismissive and irritation from Wendell's end towards Michelle. 

I'd still go for a season like that.  As long as they do old school challenges.  But I really don't know why they didn't get more old school winners.  I'm curious what made them dump Tina, unless it was the last minute addition of Amber.  But why Sophie, Sarah, Denise, Kim, and Michele over her?

I also think dividing the tribes into tribes of 3 doesn't help.  I wish they'd just go back to two tribes.  That also could have helped Parvati, Sandra, Rob, and Yul.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

and the thing is, i find it very hard to believe that they couldn't get

Vecepia 
Chris
Aras

to play. 

and ditch out

Ben
Michelle
Tony/Adam/Whomever

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I'm digging Adam, too, strangely. The show isn't missing any opportunity to show him messing up or being wrong, which makes me pull for him.

I've said it before. He's playing the same game he did in his original season - blunder after blunder but somehow he stumbles his way to the end because as the numbers dwindle, bigger threats emerged to the other players. And of course at the end he had the dying mother story. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Daisy said:

Vecepia 
Chris
Aras

to play. 

and ditch out

Ben
Michelle
Tony/Adam/Whomever

Vecepia has had a very low-profile life since winning Survivor. Chris -- I think he and Probst still have some bad blood. Aras just had two little kids with his wife.

As I said, the issue with old school survivors is that they might not necessarily want to spend 39 days away from their family and kids. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

I don't even remember Wendall from his season. Could he have been popular then because now he just seems like a tool.

I adored Wendell in his season and was elated when he won.  Not sure why he’s acting cocky this time around — though he does seem just plain annoyed by Michelle — because I got zero cocky vibe from him on his winning season.  He’s talking back to Propst (which is kinda fun to me but cost them that second or two tonight) and he’s using absolutely no personal finesse in his conversations and Tribal Councils.  Not wise but I still am a Wendell fan.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Vecepia 
Chris
Aras

to play. 

and ditch out

Ben
Michelle
Tony/Adam/Whomever

I'm curious what the situation is with Todd and Jenna now.  I know both have struggled with alcohol and substance abuse issues, but last I checked Todd seemed like he was doing very well.  It could be both said no, but I'd be curious if they were seriously considered.  Hatch claims he was asked and then dumped a few days before filming (he blamed the whole Dan S39 issue), and that Tina was replaced last minute.  I know there's probably other reasons why the pre-S20 crowd is underrepresented, but you can't tell me at least one or two more didn't want to do it.  We already know Tina was on board, and Vecepia said she would love to go back and play.

I feel somewhat robbed they didn't bring JT back.  The idea of him, Ben, and Adam on a tribe feels like a weekly 3 Stooges episode.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 13
  • Love 10

Anyone else think the praying mantis eating the other praying mantis..or was it a grasshopper...was a prelude to Michelle taking out Wendell. It didn't play out that way but I thought for sure that was a sign!!

How in hell did Rob find three and Natalie didn't get any? She ran up and down that cliff numerous times during the earlier challenge. I smell something fishy or maybe I'm just rooting for her and not him.

Edited by Maggie Mae
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Vecepia has had a very low-profile life since winning Survivor. Chris -- I think he and Probst still have some bad blood. Aras just had two little kids with his wife.

As I said, the issue with old school survivors is that they might not necessarily want to spend 39 days away from their family and kids. 

Anytime i hear Vee talk, she said that she's just waiting for the phone call, (she just never gets one). to be fair - I didn't realise Chris/Probst and an Issue (or Aras and his new babies). 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Out of curiosity, what's the issue with Chris/Probst?  I've never heard that before.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I feel somewhat robbed they didn't bring JT back.  The idea of him, Ben, and Adam on a tribe feels like a weekly 3 Stooges episode.

That might have been fun, but I feel like JT is a classic demonstration of the law of diminishing returns, so I shudder to think what he might have been like on a 4th go-round. Besides, I'm enjoying the dynamic of Sophie and Sarah coolly having the upper hand while Ben and Adam flail unwittingly.

At the time of Vanautu Probst and Julie Berry were an item. Probst was open after the show that he held it against Chris for backstabbing Julie. During the reunion it was real awkward with Probst being a real dick to Chris. By this time Probst and Julie's relationship was well known. I don't blame Chris is he doesn't want to come back.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

Yul seems like a really nice, smart guy but to be honest, his season was so long ago ( in my mind, anyway) that I can't really remember it. But I sure as crap would rather watch him play than Wendell. who just seems like a real ass this season. I long ago stopped picking people I wanted to win, but they usually didn't & I was just always disappointed. Hopefully, we will have a decent winner, but since the Extinction twist worked so badly last time, I don't have a lot of faith.

I don't blame Sandra for quitting. But that just makes me think even more than she Rob weren't really roughing it when they were advisers. Or she got paid really, really well for her time !

• Love 7

This is really small potatoes to what went down in this episode (losing Yul has been the most painful vote-out yet for me), but someone on Twitter pointed out that in the middle of the immunity challenge, there's a weird shot where Sophie is suddenly wearing shorts when before/after she isn't. I checked and he's right! Is it a weird edit? Did they CGI shorts onto her for that shot? Or make them re-enact the game for more camera coverage?

It's an interesting editing goof in an episode where they already edited out the reward challenge (confirmed by EW's Dalton Ross) - which was unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the tribes' reactions to Parvati and Sandra being voted out.

image.png.4679caa6d43becae4e91218d60011bb5.png

image.png.ce1bd1eba21844fa1dd6613b9f41c404.png

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

At the time of Vanautu Probst and Julie Berry were an item. Probst was open after the show that he held it against Chris for backstabbing Julie. During the reunion it was real awkward with Probst being a real dick to Chris. By this time Probst and Julie's relationship was well known. I don't blame Chris is he doesn't want to come back.

Really, that's it?

I feel like this is why Probst shouldn't be allowed to make decisions with this show, especially when it involves bringing back former players.

It's an interesting editing goof in an episode where they already edited out the reward challenge (confirmed by EW's Dalton Ross) - which was unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the tribes' reactions to Parvati and Sandra being voted out.

I wondered why there was no reward at the challenge.  I would have loved to have seen their reactions to Sandra/Parvati getting voted out.  I feel like it was a double whammy-not seeing that, plus losing Yul.  

• Love 14