Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Follow-Up Day

• Start Topic

To air on March 8, 2020:

Nolan is given some life-changing news and invites Grace over for a home-cooked meal in his newly remodeled kitchen. Each unit is tasked with following up on dormant cases in the hopes they can uncover new leads.

Having big trouble believing that Nolan didn't reply, "HALF-brother cop..." but instead went with something mature and loving.  Shows he doesn't really feel the relationship IMO.

I don't want to see Nolan's love life.  I don't like Grace although she's a better pick than whatsherface.  

I also don't want to see Lucy and Bradford.  I just don't, no matter how cute they are together.

• Love 1
(edited)

Smitty is living in a trailer in the police parking lot, for 2 years he is "Mr. Irrelevance" and now picking up orders for donuts. It takes real courage for him to walk around the station proudly.

The lawyer could tell Pete he had a half brother but couldn't tell Nolan?

Not a big fan of Pete Davidson. I was hoping Nolan threw him in jail for the entire episode. It almost seemed he wanted jail time but Nolan disappointed him.

Chasity accepted a "scratch off" instead of cash (was it already scratched and she had time to properly inspect it before the lap dance or did she have a quarter in her thong and scratched it during the lap dance?), then lost out on the winnings and had to suffer being with Pete the clown. She was the real loser of of the episode. Enjoy stripping in Arizona (I hear the customers there hand out IOUs).

Only on TV there is a big prize in the roll of 500 tickets. My store never has it.

West taking down by a sprinkler was funny.

Bradford turns down a chance being a sergeant to continue train Chen. I hope Chen respects him for this decision.

Edited by mxc90
6 minutes ago, break21 said:

Pete Davidson wasn't as awful as I thought he would be.

I would love to know how awful you thought he would be.  He basically played the whole thing like an extended Chad skit from SNL.  

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I would love to know how awful you thought he would be.  He basically played the whole thing like an extended Chad skit from SNL.  

He's a comedian, not an actor.  IMO, he didn't embarrass himself.  Stunt casting for sure.

• Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Bradford turns down a chance being a sergeant to continue train Chen. I hope Chen respects him for this decision.

Maybe it's because I'm Bradford's mother's age, but: Bradford, my son, that is a terrible choice. Opportunities only knock once. Go be a sergeant in North Hollywood. You and Chen can still meet up and bond over donuts or whatever. And give Chen the opportunity to have another trainer's point of view.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

Worst episode ever and I absolutely HATE Davidson and his not funny antics.

They better do better than this or it's gonna be cancellation for sure (this time).

• Love 1

Ali Larter was almost unrecognizable under all that makeup for date night, ugh.

Another vote to never see Pete Davidson. What a douchebag.

I really hope they don’t write off Richard T Jones so Bradford can take over.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Msample said:

Ali Larter was almost unrecognizable under all that makeup for date night, ugh.

Another vote to never see Pete Davidson. What a douchebag.

I wouldn't doubt it.  They seem to be having a hard time coming up with storylines for Grey.  I'd hate it but the cast is getting bigger every day so someone is going to have to go.

(edited)

I know the whole dynamic between Bradford and Chen is cliche and been done before, but gosh darn it...if they can slow burn them, I’ll be here for it. And yeah, I know Chen has already did the whole thing with Nolan. But Eric/Melissa have that certain chemistry that just pops on screen. Plus, seeing Bradford go from hard ass towards everyone, and softie only to Lucy is kind of aww.

Bu biggest gripe with this show is always presenting Nolan as this Captain Save a Ho/Super Rookie. He does t need to be the hero at the end of every episode. It’s so tiresome. And good job on Pete Davidson, expanding his acting by playing a character named..Pete.

i don’t think they are getting rid of Grey, if anything, I think they’ll be getting rid of Armstrong before the season ends. Grey is just a big part of the show and I love him. And as much as I love Bradford too, I don’t want him to take over as Watch Commander.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, CheetaraThunder said:

i don’t think they are getting rid of Grey, if anything, I think they’ll be getting rid of Armstrong before the season ends. Grey is just a big part of the show and I love him. And as much as I love Bradford too, I don’t want him to take over as Watch Commander.

Bradford's character needs to be out on the street. I doubt he's going anywhere.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Bradford's character needs to be out on the street. I doubt he's going anywhere.

Yeah, even if he was offered it, he loves Patrol and the action too much. He even previously stated how much he hates the politics and paperwork that comes with that kind of job. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Worst episode ever and I absolutely HATE Davidson and his not funny antics.

They better do better than this or it's gonna be cancellation for sure (this time).

Actually, without football, the ratings have been up. So I think Sunday - despite my initial feelings of this getting killed - has been good for the show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Actually, without football, the ratings have been up. So I think Sunday - despite my initial feelings of this getting killed - has been good for the show.

Yeah, with it being on Sunday and in the time spot, they are doing really good. I believe I read that they are certain for a renewal. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have to admit, I thought the move to Sundays was the kiss of death too for this show and have been pleasantly surprised at the ratings so far. ABC must be pleased too. It's been performing really well in the ratings for it's time slot with the demos easily winning the night for ABC at 10 p.m.. Hopefully last night's ratings is inline with the last 2 episodes. 

ABC should have given the Rookie's old time slot to Whiskey Cavalier. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I've never heard of Pete Davidson, and I'm guessing that this is a good thing?  He seems very annoying, and I got the impression that he was just being himself.  He looked like a cross between Adam Goldberg and Steve Buscemi to me. 

I'm not usually a fan of co-workers (especially when one is supervisor to the other) getting involved, but I would kind of like to see Lucy and Bradford get together.

I like what Nolan has done with his house. The main rooms were dark so it was hard to see, but the style looked mid-century to me.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it's because I'm Bradford's mother's age, but: Bradford, my son, that is a terrible choice. Opportunities only knock once. Go be a sergeant in North Hollywood. You and Chen can still meet up and bond over donuts or whatever. And give Chen the opportunity to have another trainer's point of view.

Eh, big police department like LA will have opportunities over the years. Heck, our little bitty one has had several guys move up (and move out). I think the bigger issue is that Bradford likes where he is, and that training Lucy was more an excuse than anything else.

I have no opinion on Pete Davidson and don't really get the hate. I think he worked for the role.

I did have issue with the half-brother vs brother thing from Harper's pov. But that's more personal, having had both (half siblings I grew up with and one I reconnected with). Makes no difference to me at all - they're my siblings, period. But my opinion may not be the norm.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I've never heard of Pete Davidson, and I'm guessing that this is a good thing?  He seems very annoying, and I got the impression that he was just being himself.  

I appreciate your unbiased observations, @BooksRule. He is also known for his suicidal ideations posted on social media, which is why I personally would not feel comfortable criticizing him on social media, and, anyway, which made it impossible for me to objectively evaluate his performance here.

• Love 2

The stunt casting of Pete Davidson was just dumb.  Especially in a role that has the potential to be a reoccurring character.  And why didn't they make the character's first name literally anything else?  And in what world could Nathan Fillion and Pete Davidson be siblings?  Even half siblings?  The entire thing was just...blech.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

Do you mean the regular cast or the recurring cast? I don't think the regular cast has gotten bigger.

Recurring - they've got Wesley, Armstrong, the Doctor, Nolan's kid, Nolan's kid's girlfriend,  West's boyfriend, I'm sure I'm missing a few.

they've got Wesley, Armstrong, the Doctor, Nolan's kid, Nolan's kid's girlfriend,  West's boyfriend, I'm sure I'm missing a few

A series that goes on more than one season is going to have a growing cast of recurring characters.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, FinnishViewer said:

A series that goes on more than one season is going to have a growing cast of recurring characters.

Not necessarily, Castle stuck with the same recurring characters for it's duration.  Usually after Season 3 they start to eliminate them to save money.  Also, the recurring characters on The Rookie get their own storylines.  On Castle, for example, Lainey showed up at the beginning with the dead body and usually had a scene in the middle at the autopsy - that was it for the most part.

Some episodes on The Rookie, you can tell they are trying really hard to work people in because they've got so many different storylines going on.  For example, they REALLY tried hard to find a way to work Wesley into that Serial Killer finale.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have no opinion on Pete Davidson and don't really get the hate. I think he worked for the role.

Me, too. I have the luxury of only knowing PD from his controversial comments about a guy with an eye patch. I thought he was humorous.

For me, there were several chuckles in this episode, so I enjoyed it--maybe more than most--because it wasn't trying to be serious.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Eh, big police department like LA will have opportunities over the years. Heck, our little bitty one has had several guys move up (and move out). I think the bigger issue is that Bradford likes where he is, and that training Lucy was more an excuse than anything else.

Yeah, is there any option for Bradford to keep doing what he does as a Sergeant? Be in charge of the boot program. something? He really doesn't seem like an administrative or desk jockey kind of guy, He seems like someone who needs to be on the streets and is good at it. And he's not a bad trainer.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Yeah, with it being on Sunday and in the time spot, they are doing really good. I believe I read that they are certain for a renewal. 

The ratings were great last night.  .8 in the demo and 5.1 million viewers (2nd largest).  It beat all scripted shows for the night.  It's really doing well in that time-slot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I keep mentally comparing this episode to the episode of Monk in which Steve Zahn guest starred as a previously unknown half brother from Monk’s father who also abandoned the family when he was about that age. Monk’s half brother was also sketchy, and Monk was a police consultant/former police detective. The show “Monk” was also a dramedy, but with more comedy. So this was basically the same story. But Monk won many Emmys for acting and writing. No matter who guest starred, it was going to be “the poor man’s version of” the episode, “Mr. Monk's Other Brother,” in large part, IMO, because the writers were stellar on Monk and Tony Shahloub is an actor’s actor. 

So, considering all of that (I did, y’all don’t have to) one thing that might have helped this episode was if NF’s character had been given more comedic bits when interacting with his half brother, because NF is better as a funny guy than a straight man. Maybe something like when West slipped on the wet grass from the sprinkler. The punching did not add anything to the story, IMO, and if it was supposed to be slapstick humor, it was not. 

4 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I've never heard of Pete Davidson, and I'm guessing that this is a good thing?  He seems very annoying, and I got the impression that he was just being himself.  He looked like a cross between Adam Goldberg and Steve Buscemi to me. 

I'm not usually a fan of co-workers (especially when one is supervisor to the other) getting involved, but I would kind of like to see Lucy and Bradford get together.

I like what Nolan has done with his house. The main rooms were dark so it was hard to see, but the style looked mid-century to me.

Pete Davidson is the poor man's Jon Cryer. 

ugh, please don't make Lucy & Bradford a thing.  What happened to the social worker girlfriend she fixed him up with?

Nolan's house is like the Tardis - bigger on the inside!  Even with major rehab, there's no way he'd ever be able to afford that house.  I do love the design/decor, though.

The dead dad/half-brother plot line was stupid and served no purpose.  I don't like Pete Davidson at all, hate the half-brother character, so I really hope they just let it die.  Of all of Nolan's friends/relations, the only one I've liked is the original rich friend from season 1.  I wish they'd bring him back. 

• Love 2

There are a million actors they could of used instead of that no-talent POS Pete Davidson. He can’t act and stands around with an ironic self-satisfied look like a baby that just dropped a particularly big turd in his diaper. Plus what stripper in their right mind would find this jerk off attractive? I know he dated some high profile women but that was because they wanted the notoriety on social media and they dropped him as soon as they could. Please do better show.

• Love 6

Anyone else yell at the screen "Nobody carries cash anymore!" when Nolan had money in his wallet to give to half-bro? Twice!?!

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Nolan's house is like the Tardis - bigger on the inside!

Exactly!

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

there's no way he'd ever be able to afford that house

I didn't yell this^ at the screen, but I was thinking it very loudly.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else yell at the screen "Nobody carries cash anymore!" when Nolan had money in his wallet to give to half-bro? Twice!?

Just call me nobody. Don't carry a lot, but I still do.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else yell at the screen "Nobody carries cash anymore!" when Nolan had money in his wallet to give to half-bro? Twice!?

Heh.  
But is it enough to pay for dinner?
I’m pretty sure for at least the last decade on TV, we’ve seen countless scenes in which someone’s credit card is declined when they attempt to pay for dinner, at which point the character will offer another credit card and/or the character will offer to wash dishes and/or another character might offer to pay and/or something else will happen, but never anymore do they whip out that much cash? Right?

17 hours ago, Msample said:

It's unrealistic to think an actor of his ability would stick with this show indefinitely. 

16 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

I think they’ll be getting rid of Armstrong before the season ends.

Probably because he virtually non-existent in the show.

5 hours ago, chaifan said:

What happened to the social worker girlfriend she fixed him up with?

She was ugly AF, that's what.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Nobody carries cash anymore!"

Uhm, I usually have a couple of Grantleys in mine....

(edited)
17 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

I know the whole dynamic between Bradford and Chen is cliche and been done before, but gosh darn it...if they can slow burn them, I’ll be here for it. And yeah, I know Chen has already did the whole thing with Nolan. But Eric/Melissa have that certain chemistry that just pops on screen. Plus, seeing Bradford go from hard ass towards everyone, and softie only to Lucy is kind of aww.

Couldn't agree more! I don't normally ship couples but they are so much fun to watch that I would be disappointed if they didn't go there.  

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

YES! Still mad about that cancellation.

Me too. Seeing some of the low ratings this season for other scripted shows for ABC, I can't help but wish they would have given Whiskey another season.  I wonder if the ABC execs have 2nd regrets now (probably not!).  I thought the cast was fantastic and oh those wonderful opening credits too. I was able to catch recently the French translation on TV and watched most of the series again.  It was still as much fun this time around.     

Edited by Thomas Crown
spelling and revised thoughts
  • Love 3

I have a cute little antique mesh coin purse filled with toonies and loonies. Ready for the apocalypse!
(Do zombies accept Canadian Tire money?)

The good thing about cash is no one knows where you got it, and no one knows where you spent it.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not following you.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I did have issue with the half-brother vs brother thing from Harper's pov.

I didn't think she was saying half-siblings aren't siblings, just that while this person shared DNA he was a stranger.  When she said siblings are people you grow up with, I took it to mean people you know and interact with - not just people you lived with full time or had the same mother and father. 

• Useful 1
On 3/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, shapeshifter said:

The thing is they already preloaded the decision. Number 8 on the list a spot will open up in a few months or I think I can pull strings and get you an immediate opening in North Hollywood Division somehow by passing 1-7. 

I got a feeling come season 3 Sergeant Bradford will be a field supervisor like Athena on 9-1-1 with the three no longer boots. Where that leaves Officer Lopez and Detective Harper I'm not sure. Harper's Gold ticket could get a continuing assignment with one of the three as a partner. Perhaps a Sergeant Bradford would have a driver

• Love 1

19 HOURS AGO, NETFOOT SAID:

ON 3/9/2020 AT 12:35 PM, CHAIFAN SAID:

What happened to the social worker girlfriend she fixed him up with?

She was ugly AF, that's what.

Not nice.

Or accurate.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Add me to the list of nobodys. I know many people who still carry cash for tips, valet, emergencies, etc.

I read an article a while back that you could judge someone's age by how much cash they carried lol. The younger the person, the less cash. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I didn't think she was saying half-siblings aren't siblings, just that while this person shared DNA he was a stranger.  When she said siblings are people you grow up with, I took it to mean people you know and interact with - not just people you lived with full time or had the same mother and father. 

I took her comment the same someone feeling their "father" is more the man who actually raised them as opposed to their biological father. Just because Pete had some of the same DNA doesn't automatically earn him the distinction of being a real "brother".

• Love 5

A reminder: Snarking on the show - including the characters - is permitted. Attacking fellow posters is not. Now let's get back to debating the episode. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:
On 3/9/2020 at 3:27 PM, Clanstarling said:

Add me to the list of nobodys. I know many people who still carry cash for tips, valet, emergencies, etc.

I read an article a while back that you could judge someone's age by how much cash they carried lol. The younger the person, the less cash. 

Well, I guess I'm the older-n-dirt exception that proves the rule, heh.
I do keep a small wad of ones in the console of my car, and I have a little cash in a drawer at home; it just surprised me that Nolan had That. Much. Cash. on hand.
But:
The money in my car is for my now-rare (old) car wash tip jar, and for panhandlers-for-the-poor at traffic lights at Christmas. 
So maybe a cop in LA would keep somewhat larger amounts of cash on his person for CIs? Or homeless people?

• Love 1