Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Picard in the Media

• Start Topic

"Star Trek: Picard," "Grammys" Drive CBS All Access to New Record Highs

In addition to the record month for subscriber sign-ups, STAR TREK: PICARD's premiere also marked a new record for total streams and drove the highest volume of subscribers streaming a CBS All Access original series to date, up more than +115% and +180% over the previous record set by STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, making the series the service's most-watched premiere ever.

• Love 1

Will Wheaton was on CBC Radio's Q this morning. Towards the end of the interview he talks about the after-Picard show he hosts as well as the possibility of Wesley returning as a guest (even though the character transitioned to a higher plane of existence as I recall). It sounds like he would be glad to do it, especially since it would give him an opportunity to interact with some former colleagues as an adult now. Obviously, at the time of ST:TNG he could not partake in after-shoot libations and other late night celebrations or discussions.

Wesley was seen at the wedding reception in Nemesis wearing a Starfleet uniform.  There was no explanation of when or how he returned.  The novelization had him returning specifically for the wedding, stating that he popped back from his higher plane naked and someone provided him the handiest piece of clothing, which was a uniform.  

• Useful 1

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. This panel hasn't been assigned a time slot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website for the schedule.

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows), and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist). 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. This panel hasn't been assigned a time slot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website for the schedule.

I believe the entire cast (or most of them) are also doing a panel together to discuss season one - that one will also be listed on the Comic Con website, once full details are available

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't see it on the list that was released yesterday but it's obvious that they haven't set everything in stone yet. Hopefully there will be more info about the cast panel soon!

According to the official Star Trek twitter and CBS, the Star Trek panels are on July 23 at 10am PST - back-to-back virtual panels with the casts and producers of Star Trek Discovery, Star Trek Lower Decks, and Star Trek Picard.

Emmy Award win!

OUTSTANDING PROSTHETIC MAKEUP FOR A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES, MOVIE OR SPECIAL - Absolute Candor
James Robert Mackinnon, Special Makeup Effects Department Head
Vincent Van Dyke, Prosthetic Designer
Richard Redlefsen, Special Makeup Effects Artist
Alexei Dmit riew, Special Makeup Effects Artist
Neville Page, Prosthetic Designer
Michael Ornelaz, Makeup Effects Artist

• Love 4
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I'm not surprised they've pushed it back, given the state of LA at present, although it's a shame since they are already almost a full year behind schedule. I know Discovery is already back in production for its 4th season, but Discovery doesn't have an 80-year-old lead!

The plan for Picard, as I understand it, is to shoot seasons 2 and 3 back-to-back, so I hope they manage to achieve that aim while also protecting their cast and crew from this wretched plague. And at least they've had plenty of time to write and refine the scripts, in theory! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for greater development of the crew, rather than the same kind of narrow focus on Picard seen in S1.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Wasn't "last, best hope" the Babylon 5 tag line?

Pretty sure the phrase has been used many times in many contexts, long before B5 😉

That's a good price for the book - I paid more than that when I bought it last year. Took me right back to my teenage years, buying a Star Trek tie-in novel! Una McCormack did a really good job, really developed the backstory devised for the show and did loads of intricate worldbuilding.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, statsgirl said:

Wasn't "last, best hope" the Babylon 5 tag line?

On 3/3/2021 at 10:20 AM, Llywela said:

Pretty sure the phrase has been used many times in many contexts, long before B5

But B5 used "last, best hope" in it's intro every week, so that's what I associate the phrase with. 

• Love 2

Speaking of books, there is also one coming out in August about Rios called "Rogue Elements." Synopsis:

Starfleet was everything for Cristóbal Rios—until one horrible, inexplicable day when it all went wrong. Aimless and adrift, he grasps at a chance for a future as an independent freighter captain in an area betrayed by the Federation, the border region with the former Romulan Empire. His greatest desire: to be left alone.

But solitude isn’t in the cards for the captain of La Sirena, who falls into debt to a roving gang of hoodlums from a planet whose society is based on Prohibition-era Earth. Teamed against his will with Ledger, his conniving overseer, Rios begins an odyssey that brings him into conflict with outlaws and fortune seekers, with power brokers and relic hunters across the stars.

Exotic loves and locales await—as well as dangers galore—and Rios learns the hard way that good crewmembers are hard to find, even when you can create your own. And while his meeting with Jean-Luc Picard is years away, Rios finds himself drawing on the Starfleet legend’s experiences when he discovers a mystery that began on one of the galaxy’s most important days…

I hope we find out how his holograms came into being!

Here are some links to various sellers for pre-order: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Star-Trek-Picard-Rogue-Elements/John-Jackson-Miller/Star-Trek-Picard/9781982175191

I've been a trekkie since the TNG days, but never read any of the books. Then recently I decided to try the Janeway Autobiography read by Kate Mulgrew. It was great! Now I'm spending all of my Audible credits on Star Trek books. It's a never-ending rabbit hole of nerd heaven.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Starla said:

Speaking of books, there is also one coming out in August about Rios called "Rogue Elements." Synopsis:

I hope we find out how his holograms came into being!

Here are some links to various sellers for pre-order: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Star-Trek-Picard-Rogue-Elements/John-Jackson-Miller/Star-Trek-Picard/9781982175191

I've been a trekkie since the TNG days, but never read any of the books. Then recently I decided to try the Janeway Autobiography read by Kate Mulgrew. It was great! Now I'm spending all of my Audible credits on Star Trek books. It's a never-ending rabbit hole of nerd heaven.

We already know how the holos came into being, don't we? They came with the basic install of the ship, and Rios accidentally selected the self scan option when he bought the ship and set it up for himself, which overlaid his face and memories on their baseline programme - according to the Hospitality Holo, anyway. That said, the holos will play a part in the novel, the author has said, so hopefully the book will delve into the set-up in more depth.

I already pre-ordered. Between this and Last Best Hope last year, I feel like I've been transported back to my teens, spending my pocket money on Star Trek tie-in novels! 😄 I had so many of them back then - and now, 30 years later, kind of regret that I only kept a handful.

41 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Just to note that for international viewers like me, who can't see the video above because it is region-locked, there is a region-free version here on Twitter.

I'm Canadian and I found it on You Tube. Ditto for STD and Lower Decks.

21 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Excited until I saw "Coming in 2022". ☹️

Inevitable, unfortunately, since they didn't start filming until mid-February and are shooting under covid restrictions, plus have months of post-production to complete even when filming wraps - S1 was just barely finished in time. And there are other Trek shows ahead of Picard in the production schedule, and those will air first, so it has to wait its turn.

On the brighter side, they are supposedly filming seasons 2 and 3 back to back, so we might get S3 a little faster 🙂 

• Love 5

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Sci-Fi / Fantasy Television
The Mandalorian: "Chapter 13: The Jedi" – Shawna Trpcic
Snowpiercer: "Access is Power" – Cynthia Summers
Star Trek: Picard: "Absolute Candor" – Christine Bieselin Clark
Westworld: "Parce Domine" – Shay Cunliffe
What We Do in the Shadows: "Nouveau Théâtre des Vampires" – Amanda Neale

For those who enjoy Star Trek novels or wish to start, Simon and Schuster puts a selection of them on sale every month for $.99. It's usually a mixed bag from all the various series but at $.99 a piece you can't go wrong. Last Best Hope has gone on sale twice now. And while it says US only, I'm in Canada and these deals appear on the Canadian sites as well.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/startrekbooks (click the banner "ebook deals", I'd link to it but they change every month)

• Useful 1

There's a photo of Ryan and Heard on what looks like a bus in San Francisco floating around (I saw it in a video, not a still).  So apparently this has sparked speculation that time travel is involved in Season 2.

Wait. Found it. 

hzqik4bizvv61.jpg

I've also been thinking about the fact that Q will know Seven already, not just Picard. 

I note, no eyepiece on Ryan.  It could be it's off between shots, it's hidden intentionally in the past, or it's gone for good now. 

• Love 2
On 4/5/2021 at 7:55 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Finally, Q is back !!

That certainly sounds like John DeLancie in the teaser, but how will they explain why Q has aged?  Can't an Omnipotent Being take on any age/appearance he wants?

On 5/3/2021 at 1:55 AM, Kromm said:

There's a photo of Ryan and Heard on what looks like a bus in San Francisco floating around (I saw it in a video, not a still).  So apparently this has sparked speculation that time travel is involved in Season 2.

Based on the teaser (Picard speaking about the nature of time, sand flowing up through an hourglass), I'd say time travel is a lock.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

That certainly sounds like John DeLancie in the teaser, but how will they explain why Q has aged?  Can't an Omnipotent Being take on any age/appearance he wants?

Yes, he can change his appearance. Knowing Q, he'll probably say that he has chosen to look aged because Picard is now aged!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Yes, he can change his appearance. Knowing Q, he'll probably say that he has chosen to look aged because Picard is now aged!

Pretty much. I believe John has already said as much. 

• Love 3

ok so Picard and his new crew has to fix the time stream. Ok yet another must watch show for me. I did notice that none of these trailers had Whoppi in them and since we all know she's coming back could it be that Guinan is somehow the key to fixing the problem?

• Love 1

For those like me who need a region-free link, try here

I'm excited already! Shame there's at least another six months to wait. Timey-wimey shenanigans, ahoy! I'm especially intrigued by the way both Rios and Seven seem surprised by their own appearance/outfits/surroundings, as if they literally just dropped from one timeline into another, or something.

• Love 2