Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Picard in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/16/2021 at 2:01 PM, mammaM said:

Here I go, into the shallow end of the pool, damn, John DeLancie looks good.  I'll be in my bunk😎

Let me join you in that pool. I was NOT expecting that. But damn.

Edited by marina to
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, marinw said:

In less thrilling news, I fear a crossover with STD because Time Travel.

Doesn't Discovery film in Canada and Picard in Los Angeles? I don't think a crossover between the two shows is all that likely - both have enough to be going on with in their own storylines. All the spoiler titbits I've seen for Pic S2 suggest the focus will be on exploring alternate possible timelines/lives for the main cast. I don't see much room there for zipping into the far future to meet the Discovery crew - it just isn't that kind of show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, paigow said:

She is not really an "old adversary"... additional years of adaptation and assimilation should make her smarter and stronger than previous Queens

Old adversary just means an opponent Picard has faced before, which is factually true however much she has changed and adapted since. 

I just finished reading the Rios tie-in novel, which whetted my appetite for season two! 

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, AnimeMania said:

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Season 2 Adds Annie Wersching as Borg Queen

Annie-Wersching-e1630617008224.jpg?resiz

“Star Trek: Picard” Season 2 will see Jean-Luc squaring off against an old adversary: "Annie Wersching" who is playing the the Borg Queen.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:20 AM, starri said:

Good casting.  She's got a similar vibe to Alice Krige and Susanna Thompson, and she's a good actor.

I just did a binge re-watch of The Vampire Diaries. I can't see her as anyone but the Salvatore brothers' mama...but I'm sure the makeup/costume for ST: Picard will help with that.

• Love 1

John De Lancie looks great. I'm glad they didn't cast a younger actor, I can't imagine anyone else in that role. I like that they didn't do some creepy Uncanny Valley CGI de-aging thing. John can be his handsome, mature self.

The usually gorgeous Annie W looks terrifying.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

Does seems like a rehash of First Contact. I know Season One was flawed, but I did like the quiet tone (by Trek Standards) and gentle pacing. I am ready for Dowton Abbey in Space. Not evrything needs to be about saving the Unverse or Timeline.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Unless Q is not following canon?

Q makes up his own Canon. Also, who gets to decide which version of the Timeline is the right one? The Department of Temporal Investigations? That's a LOT of power for one organization.

If you find yourself in a timeline that objectively sucks compared to the timeline you remember coming from, does that make the sucky timeline "Wrong"? There are things with this timeline I would like to change.  In "Yesterday's Enterprise" Picard asks Guinan how she knows that his time line isn't the "Correct" one. Good question.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, marinw said:

Does seems like a rehash of First Contact. I know Season One was flawed, but I did like the quiet tone (by Trek Standards) and gentle pacing. I am ready for Dowton Abbey in Space. Not evrything needs to be about saving the Unverse or Timeline.

Season one, the generally quiet tone of which you appreciated, ended up being about preventing genocide and saving the universe, so there no reason they can't manage both again for season two. 

• Love 4

Okay, so season two hasn't aired yet, but I'm getting very curious lately about season three. Almost no plot information has yet been revealed, but showrunner Terry Matalas has been tweeting lots of teaser pics that seem to indicate a Starfleet vessel, rather than La Sirena - handily collected together here.

I'm also curious to know if the entire cast will still be together in season three, given that Santiago Cabrera has worked on another project (a guest role on The Flight Attendant) while season three is still filming, at a time when you would expect covid restrictions to prevent set-hopping. Isa Briones did an in-person convention at about the same time, which again you wouldn't expect to be permitted during filming, given covid restrictions and with an 80-year-old actor starring in the show. Now, not every character appeared in every episode of season one, so it is possible that both were simply taking a break for a couple of episodes, and were able to squeeze other projects into that break. But Cabrera shaved his Rios beard and cut his hair for the Flight Attendant role, and instagram posts since show that he still doesn't have the Rios hair and beard now, several weeks later. As things stand, my best guess is that either he has left the show completely, or that Rios will disappear for at least a couple of episodes and then return with a new look. So does that mean no Holo-Squad, or will make-up have to replicate their appearance, if La Sirena is still around? Would Rios really be written out, given that Cabrera was the first actor signed onto the show after Stewart, with the character of Rios crafted specifically for him, a new breed of Star Trek ship's captain? 

So many questions!

• Useful 2

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Production Paused After More Than 50 Test Positive for COVID-19 (Exclusive)

More than 50 members of a staff of over 450 people of ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Production tested positive for COVID-19 Monday, which was the first day back to work after the Christmas break. Production on the series was immediately shut down Monday, but could possibly resume as early as next week. Picard films in Los Angeles and was in the process of filming seasons two and three back to back to reduce costs and to better accommodate production schedules.  Season Two was originally intended to premiere sometime in February, it's unclear if the production shutdown will cause a delay in Season 2's release.

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Production Paused After More Than 50 Test Positive for COVID-19 (Exclusive)

More than 50 members of a staff of over 450 people of ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Production tested positive for COVID-19 Monday, which was the first day back to work after the Christmas break. Production on the series was immediately shut down Monday, but could possibly resume as early as next week. Picard films in Los Angeles and was in the process of filming seasons two and three back to back to reduce costs and to better accommodate production schedules.  Season Two was originally intended to premiere sometime in February, it's unclear if the production shutdown will cause a delay in Season 2's release.

This shutdown shouldn't affect season two's release, I wouldn't think, as they wrapped on that way back last summer and are currently shooting the final episodes of season three. Season two is already in the last stages of post-prod ahead of next month's scheduled release date. Most of the question marks I've seen around the season two release date revolve around Discovery's mid-season hiatus and return date, and whether or not Paramount are willing to have two Star Trek shows overlapping, which they haven't done yet. If Picard gets pushed back, that'll be the reason, rather than this temporary shutdown.

Sounds like this was the initial testing for everyone to come back into the show bubble after the Christmas break, and it did its job. Hopefully the delay shouldn't be more than about a week.

(On this same note, and further to what I noted up-thread about Santiago Cabrera and his side gig, he was photographed in Chile over the Christmas/New Year break, visiting his family - what are the quarantine rules for returning to California from overseas currently? I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with his place in the show in season three...)

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Superclam said:

With the exception of Voyage Home, I've never really liked it when Star Trek goes (comes?) to current times.

Yes, It always seems like an attempt to save money. Also, they keep retconning World War 3 and "The Post Atomic Horror" 😬

I am looking forward to our new Borg Queen! Hope Annie Wersching is in more than one epsiode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, marinw said:

Also, they keep retconning World War 3 and "The Post Atomic Horror" 😬

This might be a retcon, but it's not this show's retcon.

We've already seen 2024 in DS9.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I think that by placing this season in 2024, they are travelling to a time before World War 3, rather than retconning it. My understanding is that Star Trek lore places WW3 in 2026-2053, which is a heck of a long time for the world to be at war!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to the new season. Can't wait to see the characters again and find out how it all unfolds!

• Love 5

The bigger issue is the Eugenics War, since Voyager visited a 1996 that didn't appear to be a smoking crater.

There were a series of books that found an effective way to handwave it, involving just about every 20th century character that was introduced, from Roberta Lincoln to Rain Robinson to Gillian Taylor.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2022 at 1:37 PM, starri said:

The bigger issue is the Eugenics War, since Voyager visited a 1996 that didn't appear to be a smoking crater.

There were a series of books that found an effective way to handwave it, involving just about every 20th century character that was introduced, from Roberta Lincoln to Rain Robinson to Gillian Taylor.

I remember that pair 9f novels, the Eugenics War was a "Secret" war or something

Maybe World War 3 happens in Secret.🙃

Edited by marinw
On 2/16/2022 at 8:35 AM, Llywela said:

There is a very spoilery new trailer just popped up on the Star Trek Argentina page: https://www.startrek.ar/nuevo-adelanto-de-la-segunda-temporada-star-trek-picard

The last new trailer released got deleted again a bit later, so watch this one while its available!

24 hours later and this one has disappeared too! I'm glad I nabbed a few screencaps first. Between this and the Strange New Worlds fandango, Paramount seem very bad at this marketing malarkey.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Llywela said:

24 hours later and this one has disappeared too! I'm glad I nabbed a few screencaps first.

We got a good look at Queen Annie.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1

The Picard cast have been on the pre-season press junket:

Ware spoilers - the interviewer makes a few very spoilery slips of the tongue, from the very start of the interviews, which give away quite a few details about how much time has passed and where everyone is going into the new season.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
(edited)

TVLine has an article about how this will be the season of ‘romance’ for Picard. 

https://tvline.com/2022/03/01/star-trek-picard-season-2-spoilers-patrick-stewart-john-de-lancie-interview-q/

There’s a mention of who one of his romantic partners might be, so if you don’t want spoilers, don’t read it. 

Fingers crossed that this season is way more than just Q messing with Picard as in ‘Tapestry’ or creepy faux-romantic dream sequences like ENT’s ‘A Night In Sickbay’. I have such high hopes for this show.

It was interesting that the theme of the TNG movies was less dealing with the themes of aging, loss, brotherhood and death, as in the TOS movies series, and more about Picard coming to terms with the idea that he would never be able to have a stereotypical close family life, with a wife and children, while Riker and Troy finally got their plan for that back on the road. In the end it seemed like perhaps Data, dead or alive, or at one point perhaps even B4, would fill the emotional place of a son in Picard’s life, and last season certainly didn’t rule that out with his love for Data and fight for Data’s ‘children’. But that is a closed chapter now and from an ongoing narrative standpoint it makes sense that the dream of finding a true romantic partner would be something that he has still never resolved or let himself give up hope for.

BTW, apart from Gabriel Bell and all that, wasn’t 2024 also the year of Irish Reunification? That episode was censored in the UK for years…

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 3