Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Picard in the Media

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, paigow said:

Some sites have Episode 5 title: Imposters

Description:

Caught by Starfleet and facing court martial, paranoia grows as Picard struggles to uncover whether a prodigal crewman from his past has returned as an ally or an enemy hellbent on destroying them all.

Aha

So this is interesting:

Even Stewart himself has admitted that by the time the credits roll on Picard's finale, fans will be desperate for more stories. "I'm thrilled about that because it leaves a question mark hanging over his head," Stewart explained. "Now, I'm not saying in three years' time or 10 years' time, there will be another series and I'll be back again tending in my grapes in the vineyard," Stewart continued. "But I've had some fallings out with some of our people, because they look on this as a closure that is coming up, and I don't."

Are the "our people" among the showrunners? Are they some of his fellow cast members who want to be done with Star Trek? 

On the one hand, if Patrick Stewart hadn't agreed to Picard back in 2018, the series never would have happened. So it might seem that whatever he wants is whatever will happen. 

On the other hand, and I say this as someone's who has been a big enough fan to have seen him on Broadway,* he comes across as awfully frail and weak on the show, and he's just not able to lead a series anymore. 

*I mean, he's an awesome performer, so I didn't go to 'support' a TNG cast member, I was in New York on a trip, and I knew I would be blown away by a powerhouse performance, and I was. 

(edited)

Turns out there were Riker and Worf and Raffi scenes in Episode 7, but all their scenes were cut:

https://collider.com/star-trek-picard-season-3-episode-8-riker-troi-terry-matalas-comments/

Matalas explained: "We initially had them in seven, as well, but cutting between the Rikers and Vadic's monologue was killing Vadic's monologue, and killing the Rikers. It was breaking up the stories in ways that [were] not helping either one of them."

"We had Raffi and Worf's story in seven and it was hurting Raffi and Worf to cut back to Vadic. So, at some point, you have to say, ‘We have to just pick a story.’ So, we decided seven was going to be the Vadic story. That was going to be Amanda Plummer's swan song. It's so hard, because [there are] so many great ideas and so many great things that go, but you don't have all the time and money to do it."

So, yeah. I also noticed while the article tries to downplay that the scenes were cut and describes it as the story being "paused," if one reads closely, one can see they're talking about scenes being cut. That's why episode 7 ran so short too. 

Edited by Francie
  • Useful 1

This has gotten a little bit interesting, in not being able to look away from something horrible kind of way

Terry Matalas, on the future of PS3 follow-up Legacy show: 

These shows are expensive to make. They currently have two shows, with Strange New Worlds and Starfleet Academy [beginning production in 2024] and I think Paramount would have to financially justify a third one. I think the way they look at it is that they’re well-stocked. So unless fans can convince them otherwise, that’s certainly the point of view at the moment.

So, basically TM is calling on his fans to complain loudly about Starfeet Academy in the hopes of getting it derailed in favor of his show. So, tear down one show in order to get yours greenlit?

And there is a sci fi nerd debate going on right now on twitter about it. Lines are being drawn. Threats not to watch one or the other being made. 

This won't end well. Both shows might end up getting send to bed without supper. 

On 4/24/2023 at 6:13 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

This show has been so bad, Paramount already shuffled the first two seasons over to PlutoTV - FREE streaming.

Cool -- I can still watch Nepenthe after my paramount+ subscription expires in a few days. Yay me! First break I've caught with this d@mn show all year. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

The only problem with Pluto is they sandwich it in between showings of Voyager - you have to wait for the series finale for them to start Picard. They run Picard 24/7 (it's not "On Demand" - it's "Live") and when that's over, they go back to Voyager.  Fortunately, it only takes a little more than a week to get through the VOY series.

ETA: Endgame, part 2 is starting in 5 minutes - so Picard will probably start showing at 1 PM today (Thursday, 04/27) EDT.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The only problem with Pluto is they sandwich it in between showings of Voyager - you have to wait for the series finale for them to start Picard. They run Picard 24/7 (it's not "On Demand" - it's "Live") and when that's over, they go back to Voyager.  Fortunately, it only takes a little more than a week to get through the VOY series.

ETA: Endgame, part 2 is starting in 5 minutes - so Picard will probably start showing at 1 PM today (Thursday, 04/27) EDT.

Thanks. When you mentioned it was on free tv, I was confusing Pluto with one of the streaming channels like tubi or freevee. I did look up Picard's availability on free tv last night, and the second season of Picard is available, but not the first. So second season episodes are available, on demand, for free. 

I'm going to mix sci fi franchises and say people should warned, it's a trap!

Pluto IS free streaming, like FreeVee, owned by Paramount (so there are LOT of Paramount+ commercials.) And, holy cow, I can't tell time.  And forget what I said about Picard coming on after Voyager...they're starting Voyager all over again. I wish they'd bring back DS9.  At least Sisko had "prophet" reasons for any goofy decision making. Janeway has no excuse.

• Like 1

Cross-posting since there isn't a general Star Trek media topic:

2024 in Star Trek history:

A lot—a lot—happens historically in Star Trek’s 2024, crucially important events that go on to not just shape Earth as it is in the early 21st century, but form foundational pillars for the contemporary Star Trek timeline. It’s a year we’ve heard about, and visited, multiple times across several Trek shows. So what’s exactly wild about it? Well, let us take a look through Trek’s past to find out... and perhaps, our future?

• Useful 1

Star Trek: Picard won 4 Saturn Awards (Best Science Fiction Television Series, Best Actor in a Television Series, Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series, and Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series)...

Star Trek Wins Big At The 2024 Saturn Awards
BY MARK DONALDSON    FEBRUARY 5, 2024
https://screenrant.com/everything-star-trek-won-saturn-awards-2024/ 

Star Trek: Picard season 3 won the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Television Series. Showrunner Terry Matalas took to the stage to accept the award, alongside various members of the cast and crew of Picard season 3. In his acceptance speech, Terry Matalas said that he accepted the award on behalf of Sir Patrick Stewart, CBS Studios, the cast, crew, and the Picard writers. He also honored those who "inspired the next generation of Star Trek." Watch Terry Matalas' acceptance speech below:
Star Trek: The Next Generation producer Rick Berman once reflected that Patrick Stewart never winning an Emmy was "criminal". The Star Trek: Picard actor wryly referenced this in his acceptance speech, noting that his win was "a long time coming". Patrick Stewart's award for Best Actor in a Television Series was richly deserved, and the Shakespearian actor delivered a moving speech that honored his Star Trek: The Next Generation co-stars for making him a better actor. Watch Patrick Stewart's moving acceptance speech below:
Jeri Ryan took home the Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series at the 51st Saturn Awards for her role as Commander Seven of Nine in Star Trek: Picard season 3. Ryan's win feels like an acknowledgment of Seven of Nine's emotional journey across three seasons of Picard, which has displayed every facet of Jeri Ryan's considerable skills as an actress. Ryan had fierce competition for the role from Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' Jess Bush and Celia Rose Gooding, which is a testament to the rich material being written for female characters in modern Trek.
Sadly, scheduling conflicts prevented Jonathan Frakes from picking up his award for Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series. However, it's great to see Star Trek director Jonathan Frakes being honored for possibly the greatest performance of his career. Frakes' portrayal of a grieving Captain William T. Riker was deeply affecting. Remarkably, Frakes was able to give such an emotionally nuanced performance in Star Trek: Picard season 3, episode 3, "Seventeen Seconds" while also steering the ship as a director. That alone is proof that Jonathan Frakes' Saturn Awards win was well-deserved.

Star Trek: Picard, "The Last Generation," got a nomination for the WGA Award for Episodic Drama...

WGA Awards: ‘Air,’ ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘May December’ Among Film Screenplay Nominees
BY HILARY LEWIS   FEBRUARY 21, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-writers-guild-awards-nominations-nominees-list-1235831599/ 

The 2024 Writers Guild Awards nominations have been revealed.
In an unusual move this year, the WGA Awards will take place after the Oscars, with the WGA winners awarded on April 14, more than a month after the March 10 Academy Awards.

(edited)

Patrick Stewart received the ICG Publicists' Television Showperson of the Year Award...

“BARBIE” AND “AHSOKA” TAKE HOME TOP HONORS AT THE 61ST ANNUAL ICG PUBLICISTS AWARDS
International Cinematographers Guild   March 8, 2024
https://www.icg600.com/Portals/0/Awards/Publicists/2024 ICG Publicists Awards WINNERS.pdf?ver=2024-03-08-165840-113

LOS ANGELES – The Publicists of the International Cinematographers Guild (ICG, IATSE Local 600) announced the winners of the 61st Annual ICG Publicists Awards at a luncheon at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel today, Friday, March 8, 2024.
Sir Patrick Stewart accepted the Television Showperson of the Year Award, celebrating his illustrious television career, including the recently-completed final season of CBS Studios/Paramount+’s “Star Trek: Picard,” in which he reprised his signature role as Jean-Luc Picard, originated in 1987 in “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Brent Spiner, who played Data in the Star Trek universe, presented Stewart with the award during the ceremony.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1