Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: We're The Howards

• Start Topic

As Rome and Regina continue to move forward with the adoption process, they are thrown into helping Delilah with a troubled Sophie. Meanwhile, Gary confronts Eric about his past, and Eddie pursues a new career in music.

Airing Thursday, January 30, 2020.

This episode had some very frustrating moments, but also some really good ones. So...a mixed bag for me. 

Gary's arc is...not great to watch. I get he's spiraling and all, but goddamn, dude. Over a girl? I kind of get it, and it's somewhat good to get to see Gary's personal arc take a hit, but it's hard to watch when all I feel is rage when Gary does something awful. He definitely needs help, and I'm glad he got called out by Rome and Katherine. 

Finally! Something interesting about Theo happens! I was totally fine with watching him actually deal with all the stuff he's had to go through since the series started. It's good to get confirmation that it has, indeed, affected him. As for Eddie, I'm glad he's got an actual 9-5 job, especially if Katherine keeps missing work for Theo. I'm actually kind of afraid that she may get fired because of it. All of these mentions about missing meetings, coupled with the idea that women can't have it all, and I'm totally thinking they could head down that route. I hope not, but it's a plot I could see them exploring, even if it's an outdated concept.

The Regina/Rome stuff was decent enough, although mildly irritating at times. The Sophie stuff at least felt realistic, and I kind of got a kick out of her hungover self trying to play baseball. 

As for Eric...a wrongful death on his fiancee definitely makes him look shady, but since I figured that he caused the accident that killed her anyway, there's still more to it that I think will help us sympathize with him. Again, it's hard to hate Jason Ritter. He sold Eric's guilt well, although he has a lot to make up for if he sticks around. I'd actually hate to see him disappear after all of this buildup. 

• Love 6

Eddies going to be attracted to Dakota, she even looks like a young Katherine. 

Gary’s a jerk thru and thru. Delilah and her on and off accent bug.

All that drama over Wesley and poor dog doesn’t even get a walk anymore.

Clearly none of these people have a life, if they’re showing up at a teens softball game (practice?). 
Regina is NEVER at her restaurant. She should be there 24/7 practically, since Delilah is never there. 

Katherine and Eddie need to stop talking when Theo’s in earshot. He seems the type to listen at the doorway when they’re whispering. 
And Katherine was an idiot to bring Theo down  to the garage when they heard the noises (Sophie busting things up)

Her getting all lawyer-ry when called to the school, before she even knows what the heck happened, I laughed when she found out her perfect kid is the problem. 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Her getting all lawyer-ry when called to the school, before she even knows what the heck happened, I laughed when she found out her perfect kid is the problem. 

Me, too. Sometimes the smallest kid is the bully (not that Theo was bullying anyone; he just got angry and pushed a kid. Bullying is a pattern, not a one-off). Though I'm surprised she didn't immediately ask, "well, why did he push the kid?" Maybe the kid said something to instigate it that the teacher didn't hear. A good lawyer should think of all the possibilities to get their client off. 😉

• Love 2

Yes, does anyone think  Dakota wont be more than eye candy for Eddie? He'll resist at some point down the road and then .....a kiss, a touch? I really cringed when I saw her and complimenting Eddie who needs the stroking so much. It was so obvious (will he be drunk?) that they SHOULDN"T do it. ; )

I hated the Gary stuff, making him such an unlikable jerk, and that is who he is. This isn't under the influence. Anything wrong in his life and he acts impulsive. He needs therapy more than the others. I don't see a miracle seeing his mom but this is TV, it can happen.

Bored with Eric story, there will be a "he killed someone" but not vested in his character. Ritter is fine, but the story just didn't grab me. I also don't understand how a real organ donor site would mix this up, she trusted an informal forum. ; )

I liked the Rome/Regina video and laughed at Rome saying "Hi I'm Regina" in the beginning. I don't like the flip with her wanting a baby but you knew it was coming. I'm also glad he set up thick lines with Gary, he could have caused Rome more than physical harm. It was good show for them.

I found myself shocked Jon's shirt was still on wall of Charly's room. Are they not telling her Eddie is her dad?

I also am miffed being on the Colin should be with Edna wagon, Gary is all over the place, sleeping over at strangers homes, out all day, and he isn't shown. Sure dogs are like babies, but Charley is shown once in a while, he's been missing since that show and I wish they said he gave him back while he gets straightened out. He's never worried about him, even a throw-a-way line. Ok, I'm a big dog lover. 😉

Edited by debraran
  • Love 8

Gawd, why do shows think that they should crank a song up to 10 and then continue having dialogue/voiceovers? FFS. That is one of my pet peeves because it's so annoying.

I disagreed with Regina not letting Delilah yell at Sophie after she got drunk with her friend Jess. Delilah is still her mother and Sophie did something that is not only against the rules but illegal.

Sophie is lucky that Delilah didn't use that as a reason to order her to come home. As her mother, she had every right to yell at her kid for taking advantage of the situation and breaking the rules. Yes, it would just push Sophie further away but there are times when kids should hear their parents say, "What you did was not okay and will not be tolerated."

I'm glad that Katherine and Eddie finally know that Theo has ears and normal hearing. I don't know why some parents act like their kids don't hear everything they say. Newsflash: THEY HEAR EVERYTHING.

But yay for the return of Carter!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Sophie is lucky that Delilah didn't use that as a reason to order her to come home. As her mother, she had every right to yell at her kid for taking advantage of the situation and breaking the rules. Yes, it would just push Sophie further away but there are times when kids should hear their parents say, "What you did was not okay and will not be tolerated."

Eh, Delilah is busy complaining to infant Charlie that mommy needs sleep and ignoring Charlie while she cries, and joking with Maggie about the affair with Eddie.  So it's now funny to Delilah that she had no self-control with Eddie while married to John. I kind of wish Katherine had heard their conversation and slapped Delilah across the face  because she deserves it. UGGHH, Show. 

Sophie is in a place where she is going to say in return "and you lying and conceiving a child with my father's best friend will also not be tolerated."

The best moments were Rome's words to Gary while they were in the back of the police car, and Katherine telling Gary off. Hey Gary, do you even remember there is a (now unseen) dog in your apartment that you have basically stolen from the old lady widow? 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, does anyone think  Dakota wont be more than eye candy for Eddie? He'll resist at some point down the road and then .....a kiss, a touch? I really cringed when I saw her and complimenting Eddie who needs the stroking so much. It was so obvious (will he be drunk?) that they SHOULDN"T do it. ; )

I hated the Gary stuff, making him such an unlikable jerk, and that is who he is. This isn't under the influence. Anything wrong in his life and he acts impulsive. He needs therapy more than the others. I don't see a miracle seeing his mom but this is TV, it can happen.

Bored with Eric story, there will be a "he killed someone" but not vested in his character. Ritter is fine, but the story just didn't grab me. I also don't understand how a real organ donor site would mix this up, she trusted an informal forum. ; )

I liked the Rome/Regina video and laughed at Rome saying "Hi I'm Regina" in the beginning. I don't like the flip with her wanting a baby but you knew it was coming. I'm also glad he set up thick lines with Gary, he could have caused Rome more than physical harm. It was good show for them.

I found myself shocked Jon's shirt was still on wall of Charly's room. Are they not telling her Eddie is her dad?

I also am miffed being on the Colin should be with Edna wagon, Gary is all over the place, sleeping over at strangers homes, out all day, and he isn't shown. Sure dogs are like babies, but Charley is shown once in a while, he's been missing since that show and I wish they said he gave him back while he gets straightened out. He's never worried about him, even a throw-a-way line. Ok, I'm a big dog lover. 😉

I think in a way Delilah is happy the truth is out there about Charlie. Now she can dump her on Eddie and Katherine as needed. Let’s see if things change when he starts working with Dakota. Also, she had better come clean  with Charlie and right from the start, otherwise Charlie IS going to find out from some one else. Danny or Sophie in an argument will blab, Theo  is a possibility also. That kind of secret always comes out. Too many  others know the truth. 

Regina and Rome practice parenting on Sophie? My bet is they decide NOT to adopt. 

Grow up Gary... I’m shocked he’s finding so many women that are willing to fuck him. He’s not even charming,  just a bitter, jealous unemployed asshole, 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Still waiting for the reveal about no chest scar on Eric.  Wrongful death suit does not explain that at all.  Not a fan of the Eric character and wish this storyline would end.  Felt really bad for Rome that those people accused him of something bad.  Never saw that coming.  Gary is just a jerk these days.  So far Delilah's kids are the only ones doing things that command the whole group showing up in support, wonder if we will see Theo play a tree in a school play where everyone will be in attendance.  Eddie/Dakota hook up is going to be trouble. Delilah continues to be annoying and where was Danny when Charlie was crying for all that time?  I guess in his room listening to "Summer Lovin'"  Don't like that kid he is as annoying as his mother. Continue to love Katherine.  On the Maggie front, I guess the Mom fell off the earth. 

5 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Grow up Gary... I’m shocked he’s finding so many women that are willing to fuck him. He’s not even charming,  just a bitter, jealous unemployed asshole, 

Yes!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Even though Gary is spiraling, he is going to be the one to discover Erik’s secret. And no one will believe him.

I was amazed when Erik's shirt did not rip during his scuffle with Gary in the music store. I was 100% certain that's where it was going.

Gary is my favourite character (by a country mile) and I hate what they are doing to him. Couldn't we have one likeable guy in the group? And I cannot overstate how very much I resent the Regina "I just needed to be shown how wrong I was about myself" baby story line. Ergh.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Even though Gary is spiraling, he is going to be the one to discover Erik’s secret. And no one will believe him.

Preview shows Maggie seeing shirtless pic in his room when she goes to his apartment.  Eric was ignoring her .

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, debraran said:

Speaking of eye candy, David Giuntoli  looked particularly hot in that scene, imo. But yeah, it's clearly a set up for the next drama.

As for Gary, I was amused that they've lined up his acting out arc with Theo's. That seems about right - Gary's acting like a child.

2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Eh, Delilah is busy complaining to infant Charlie that mommy needs sleep and ignoring Charlie while she cries, and joking with Maggie about the affair with Eddie.  So it's now funny to Delilah that she had no self-control with Eddie while married to John. I kind of wish Katherine had heard their conversation and slapped Delilah across the face  because she deserves it. UGGHH, Show.

For me, what stood out, is that Delilah is trying to keep Charlie awake, but drove her over to Regina and Rome's place.  In my own personal experience, that was the way to make darn sure the kids fell asleep. So it seemed counterproductive.

And yes, the "last time I kissed, I got pregnant line" was a weird joke - and made me feel for her husband.

• Love 6

The biggest "oh snap" moment for me was when Rome was yelling at Gary about how he didnt think about his punching that asshole guy would affect Rome, as a black man in a mostly white space, and Gary said how he was half Mexican and Rome yelled that he passes as white. Did we know that Gary was biracial, the same as James Roday (real name James Rodriguez) is? Is he actually trying g to hide his Hispanic side, or does he just let people assume he’s white? Does it just not come up? See, this could actually be interesting, more than just watching him flail about a jackass.

Gary is just such a mess, such a mess that its inevitable that when he finds Eriks secret, people will dismiss it as the ravings of a jealous angry jerk. Of course I dont think Eric actually murdered his fiance and I am sure that he has some sob story about lying about the heart and that Maggie will stupidly forgive him (because people on this show are super chill about people doing shockingly awful things) but I am curious. 

Deliah should have told the truth ages ago, now she can dump Charlie on Katherine and Eddie all of the time! I've kind of been waiting for Theo to start acting out or being affected by all the drama with his family, Eddie and Katherine really need to start lowering their voices when they talk so that he doesent hear all of the gory details. God I hope Eddie doesent get tempted to cheat on Katherine with that singer, please please please dont let this happen!!! 

Rome and Regina making their adoption video was cute, and I think they are doing ok with Sophie. I know Sophie is acting out and being bratty, but this is such a messed up situation, and she was so close with Eddie AND her dad, I can understand why this is so hard for her. If anything, its nice to see someone actually upset about this whole mess! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13
19 hours ago, iwasish said:

Katherine and Eddie need to stop talking when Theo’s in earshot. He seems the type to listen at the doorway when they’re whispering. 
And Katherine was an idiot to bring Theo down  to the garage when they heard the noises (Sophie busting things up)

Didn't they have a story last season where Theo was overhearing things? He definitely seems like the kind of kid who listens in on everything, but then worries about it instead of having an outburst.

5 hours ago, iwasish said:

I think in a way Delilah is happy the truth is out there about Charlie. Now she can dump her on Eddie and Katherine as needed. Let’s see if things change when he starts working with Dakota. Also, she had better come clean  with Charlie and right from the start, otherwise Charlie IS going to find out from some one else. Danny or Sophie in an argument will blab, Theo  is a possibility also. That kind of secret always comes out. Too many  others know the truth. 

I don't think they are keeping anything secret from Charlie. Obviously, she's a baby so she doesn't understand, but it seemed like the whole point of telling the other kids was because they wanted Charlie to know. Wasn't she even staying at Eddie's one night last episode?

Gary is really unlikable since the break up. Which is weird because when he was with Maggie, I just thought she was unlikable. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Gary’s last name is Mendez. I believe he’s mentioned his mother was Mexican.

Wouldn't that make his father the Mexican one?

I saw an article earlier that said Marcia Gay Harden will play his mother.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

But how old is Theo supposed to be? He acts like he’s seven.

He's ten (they had his birthday party earlier in the season). He's simultaneously too old and too young for his age, somehow.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't think they are keeping anything secret from Charlie. Obviously, she's a baby so she doesn't understand, but it seemed like the whole point of telling the other kids was because they wanted Charlie to know. Wasn't she even staying at Eddie's one night last episode?

Gary is really unlikable since the break up. Which is weird because when he was with Maggie, I just thought she was unlikable. 

I felt the exact same re Gary. But I feel equally the same this year. Sometimes you can rise above the script with great acting, sometimes not.

I don't get the Jon's shirt in Charly's room, she points to it one day at 6 months and Delilah says, Oh that's Jon's, your brother and sisters dad's shirt, your dad is Eddie? Why have it there? Sophie did it to honor her dad. No way would an angry teenager leave that up there unless they were planning on not telling her until she was much older, grade school up, but that wouldn't make sense.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The biggest "oh snap" moment for me was when Rome was yelling at Gary about how he didnt think about his punching that asshole guy would affect Rome, as a black man in a mostly white space, and Gary said how he was half Mexican and Rome yelled that he passes as white. Did we know that Gary was biracial, the same as James Roday (real name James Rodriguez) is? Is he actually trying g to hide his Hispanic side, or does he just let people assume he’s white? Does it just not come up? See, this could actually be interesting, more than just watching him flail about a jackass.

11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Gary’s last name is Mendez. I believe he’s mentioned his mother was Mexican.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Wouldn't that make his father the Mexican one?

I saw an article earlier that said Marcia Gay Harden will play his mother.

Yes, Gary's last name (Mendez) has been mentioned on the show throughout the show (the first time was S1.E2) so they were letting the audience make that inference. In S1.E16, Maggie's mother asked if he was religious and he said, "My father is Mexican. I was raised Catholic."

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I had no idea Roday was biracial.  Never even entered my mind.

12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She's being raised with Eddie as her father and Theo as a brother, so I think there won't be a confusion in the future.

• Love 5

Delilah was trying to sleep train Charlie, she wasn’t ignoring her crying. She drove to Rome and Regina’s because they called her and said Sophie had been drinking. And she is not just dumping Charlie with Saints Eddie and Katherine. Eddie filed for paternity so he could co-raise Charlie, he is taking care of her like a parent should.

No idea what’s going on with no scar Eric but I’m guessing some kind of sob story will ensue. I’m not a fan of Gary and his childish behavior is so unappealing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Eddie misses his career as a rock star. He’s tired of being a stay at home dad. 
I don’t get how his music contact wasn’t interested in his songs but wants him to, I guess mentor or guide Dakota in her career. I see trouble on the horizon with that relationship. 

• Love 6

I have forgotten why Rome and Regina are adopting.  Did they find out that either one of them was unable to have a baby?  Was Regina ultimately talked into/emotionally manipulated into agreeing to raising a child, but doesn't want a pregnancy?   Are they trying for a baby or an older child?  For all that they spent the episode making a video about it, I feel like I understand very little about their sudden desire to adopt.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, izabella said:

Was Regina ultimately talked into/emotionally manipulated into agreeing to raising a child, but doesn't want a pregnancy?

Pretty much.

IIRC, she changed her mind after the episode with Rome talking PJ off the ledge their rooftop. I forget what she said, exactly, but my impression was that she wanted to help a kid who really needed it (not sure if she specified but to me that would lean toward a slightly older child, but the video seemed to be aimed at a pregnant person looking to choose adoptive parents for a not-yet-born infant).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, ams1001 said:

Pretty much.

IIRC, she changed her mind after the episode with Rome talking PJ off the ledge their rooftop. I forget what she said, exactly, but my impression was that she wanted to help a kid who really needed it (not sure if she specified but to me that would lean toward a slightly older child, but the video seemed to be aimed at a pregnant person looking to choose adoptive parents for a not-yet-born infant).

When she told Rome she changed her mind, she specifically said she wanted to adopt a baby.

I remember thinking it was weird, because if the logic was to help someone who really needed it, finding someone older would be an option. And having an older kid would give the writers more sources for drama because he/she can get actual lines and storylines. But she said baby and that seems to be what that are going for with the video.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And yes, the "last time I kissed, I got pregnant line" was a weird joke - and made me feel for her husband.

Yeah, her affair is just one big joke now, huh?  I hate her.

• Love 10
On 2/1/2020 at 8:26 AM, Clanstarling said:

I had no idea Roday was biracial.  Never even entered my mind.

She's being raised with Eddie as her father and Theo as a brother, so I think there won't be a confusion in the future.

Is that just within the little circle of family and friends or is it going to be public knowledge? 

I know Eddie sent birth announcements out. I   can only imagine people’s reaction to it. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:22 PM, cinsays said:

Why wouldn’t it be a joke to her? The husband she was cheating on and about to leave, killed himself and saved her the messy divorce. All his friends rallied, including the one being cheated on by her lover, and made sure she kept her house and doesn’t seem to have any financial  problems. They all drop everything to run to her side and hold her hand and attend every insignificant event in her or her kids lives. Even now, she makes herself the victim of Sophie’s anger and resentment over her betrayal of her father. She really thinks she’s special. How Katherine even allows her in her home let alone looks at her is beyond me. Katherine’s  own son is being affected in a negative way, but Delilah (and Eddie) get to escape the worst of the backlash. 
I’m looking forward to Eddie’s next slip into adultery and possibly breaking his sobriety. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, cinsays said:

The writers have decided that Delilah is the one to be always forgiven, to be understood and all that. It is annoying and I don't care much about the character either. But that part didn't bother me. The conversation was private, as in two confidants trusting each other. I can imagine someone with a complicated situation like this one would attempt to "lighten up" the whole thing (even if the writers want to write everyone holding hands in harmony when it comes to Delilah). It doesn't mean that it is sensitive or right. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done/said. But it is human and it is actually the only reaction in the whole story that I don't find unrealistic.

Having said all that, I think the writers would keep that line even if she was in public, with all her friends. It happens that, in private, it is something I believe would help anyone with processing the consequences of their mistakes.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

The writers have decided that Delilah is the one to be always forgiven, to be understood and all that. It is annoying and I don't care much about the character either. But that part didn't bother me. The conversation was private, as in two confidants trusting each other. I can imagine someone with a complicated situation like this one would attempt to "lighten up" the whole thing (even if the writers want to write everyone holding hands in harmony when it comes to Delilah). It doesn't mean that it is sensitive or right. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done/said. But it is human and it is actually the only reaction in the whole story that I don't find unrealistic.

Having said all that, I think the writers would keep that line even if she was in public, with all her friends. It happens that, in private, it is something I believe would help anyone with processing the consequences of their mistakes.

I see your point, but cringed when I heard it. You were cheating and got pregnant at 40, not something I'd point out, Charley is the obvious outcome.

MLT took it off the main site but when I watch the two of them, Eddie and Delilah in the restaurant and on the phone during that day before show, she was leaving this family with Jon for the time being and doing something with Eddie. He was unemployed and she'd have alimony at some point. She pointed out she packed the fridge with stuff (so poor Jon didn't have to shop) everything was in order, suitcase packed, but of course things changed fast.  I realize Jon's death was life changing and residual effects will go on with his kids (Sophie the most right now) but she still was planning on doing that. Eddie was leaving Kathryn. I never feel for her because she wanted Eddie more than her kids, it wasn't Jon leaving, she was leaving.

• Love 4
On 1/31/2020 at 7:18 PM, tennisgurl said:

There's a whole bunch of stuff that could be interesting plots on the show, but they're too human and not sensational enough, so they don't get brought up. Like how Maggie's recurrence should not be dealt with with "Oh, okay, I'm cured now" but rather, "If I got one recurrence, the odds go way up that I'll have another and I might not be so lucky next time." Or the fact that she is that weird no man's land where people with breast cancer with non-metastatic recurrences live, where there really is no support group for you (you scare the people who didn't have recurrences and you depress the people who have metastatic breast cancer). 

But nope, who needs real human drama when you can have Eric faking a heart surgery!

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

There's a whole bunch of stuff that could be interesting plots on the show, but they're too human and not sensational enough, so they don't get brought up. Like how Maggie's recurrence should not be dealt with with "Oh, okay, I'm cured now" but rather, "If I got one recurrence, the odds go way up that I'll have another and I might not be so lucky next time." Or the fact that she is that weird no man's land where people with breast cancer with non-metastatic recurrences live, where there really is no support group for you (you scare the people who didn't have recurrences and you depress the people who have metastatic breast cancer). 

But nope, who needs real human drama when you can have Eric faking a heart surgery!

My sister was like Maggie with 2 breast cancer occurrences 4 years apart but luckily not metastatic. You read a lot that is uncommon but it doesn't always mean you can't be "cured" again for lack of a better word. It is an odd place. I always thought showing Gary helping other men with breast cancer, even over the phone, would have been nice but he's too messed up now to help himself.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's those human moments, I think, that keep me coming back, even if I cringe at the soap opera drama they prefer to create. There are so many good storylines they drop because they don't really want to spend time on them - they just want a PSA-ish statement.

The incident with Gary and Rome was an excellent moment, but it will be dropped in favor of some baby adoption drama.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2020 at 8:29 AM, Clanstarling said:

It's those human moments, I think, that keep me coming back, even if I cringe at the soap opera drama they prefer to create. There are so many good storylines they drop because they don't really want to spend time on them - they just want a PSA-ish statement.

The incident with Gary and Rome was an excellent moment, but it will be dropped in favor of some baby adoption drama.

Yep, that's it exactly. They give us just enough human moments and most of the actors are so good that I can't quite give it up.  But it really sometimes seems like the authentic stuff is almost accidental than anything. 

On 2/2/2020 at 7:38 AM, debraran said:

My sister was like Maggie with 2 breast cancer occurrences 4 years apart but luckily not metastatic. You read a lot that is uncommon but it doesn't always mean you can't be "cured" again for lack of a better word. It is an odd place. I always thought showing Gary helping other men with breast cancer, even over the phone, would have been nice but he's too messed up now to help himself.

Oh, it's TOTALLY realistic to have a cancer recurrence and then live a cancer-free life and I certainly hope that for your sister. But I'm sure it's also never absent from her mind, right? That's the hacky part of Maggie's plot. There's real human emotion here that they're glossing over for traditional soap opera shit.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Oh, it's TOTALLY realistic to have a cancer recurrence and then live a cancer-free life and I certainly hope that for your sister. But I'm sure it's also never absent from her mind, right? That's the hacky part of Maggie's plot. There's real human emotion here that they're glossing over for traditional soap opera shit.

Yes, I've seen a little of everything over the years. Many people beat cancer more than once. She is going strong 10 years later. When Nash said last year, "It's a soap" I was sad. I guess I was hoping for serious things with comedy mixed in, not dumb plots and sacrificing intelligent scripts for soapy things. He made a big thing about Jon's suicide, but that was made into this LONG 911 mystery that ended up with silly conversations and contrived meetings and DNA. No real after effects of Jon's suicide, everyone moved on but Sophie. He jumped out a balcony in broad daylight and landed on a car (all to pull in viewers) and then the biggest issue was will Delilah lose her precious big house. His apartment languished for months before anyone cared to look in it, no one spoke to anyone about him, no one  looked at his computer or phone, just very odd reactions. They had great moments, I agree to do something with Rome and Gary as you put it, and I hope they do later. They had great moments to explore why Regina might want to be child-free and it's okay. There were moments for Gary to help others outside of his friends and to show the kids getting counseling or mentioning it. They had a moment to have Gary do the right thing with Colin but they brought ageism into it.  Eric's story is more "General Hospital" than a drama.

I look forward in an odd way to Jon's return, whether a dream, a flashback or whatever because even in his disturbed state, he was more sane than the lot of them.  It know it dropped in ratings, I know I'm the only one left in my family or coworkers that still watch. Time will tell if they don't improve scripts what will happen.  The new time slot was NOT a hit. From ratings report:

"Unfortunately, A Million Little Things returning to a later slot is bad news. The latest episode did 3.8 million total viewers and a 0.6 rating in the demo. "

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 12:22 PM, debraran said:

I look forward in an odd way to Jon's return, whether a dream, a flashback or whatever because even in his disturbed state, he was more sane than the lot of them.  It know it dropped in ratings, I know I'm the only one left in my family or coworkers that still watch. Time will tell if they don't improve scripts what will happen.  The new time slot was NOT a hit. From ratings report:

"Unfortunately, A Million Little Things returning to a later slot is bad news. The latest episode did 3.8 million total viewers and a 0.6 rating in the demo. "

Yeah, those ratings aren't good.  I can't believe ABC is happy with it losing the Grey's lead-in.  I used to watch live last year, this year I am so desperate for a Jon flashback I look at the opening credits for Ron Livingston's name.  If he's not there , I figure no Jon this episode and watch it on hulu later in the week.

• Love 2

I first predicted that Sophie and Alex were going to drink. Then when Sophie came in drunk, I actually predicted that it was a fake-out, that she actually had the flu, and all the adults would feel bad for judging her.

Speaking of fake-outs, the wrongful death suit might be one. When there is an accident and someone dies, it's normal for the decedent's family to sue the one at fault for the accident for wrongful death, usually just to get to the perpetrator's insurance. Even family members will do this (e.g. husband at the wheel in car accident where wife dies, husband as executor of wife's estate will sue husband and husband's insurance for wrongful death benefits). Eric doesn't look like he has much money, so likely the plaintiffs would settle for the insurance amount. Waiting for Katherine to explain this.

No way would the cops cuff everyone involved in Rome's camera scuffle. They'd separate the two sides, find out what happened, and then tell them to calm down. Okay with taking Gary in since he did hit the other guy, but only if the other guy wanted to press charges, which the cops would likely have discouraged seeing as he grabbed Rome's camera without good reason.

I echo everyone else wondering about these people showing up for a daytime softball game. At a minimum, Regina should be at the restaurant, which was all about her being the chef and her and Delilah being the owners.

I liked Maggie's hair better when it was long and pink.

Stopping by because my brain works in a weird way to say that I really hope that Regina and Rome are rejected as parents and give up in adopting. At least it will make for interesting plot, maybe even a more realistic one - I don't know if agencies have race bias or not, MA is a pretty white state - and we don't fall into the cliche of the need for a couple, or at least for a woman, to want children. The way they did it is like Oprah and atheists: you just don't know you want children. Every woman is born to be a mother (Oprah is dismissive of atheists as clueless people who just don't know they believe in god, but will get there somehow because god is everything)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Stopping by because my brain works in a weird way to say that I really hope that Regina and Rome are rejected as parents and give up in adopting. At least it will make for interesting plot, maybe even a more realistic one - I don't know if agencies have race bias or not, MA is a pretty white state - and we don't fall into the cliche of the need for a couple, or at least for a woman, to want children. The way they did it is like Oprah and atheists: you just don't know you want children. Every woman is born to be a mother (Oprah is dismissive of atheists as clueless people who just don't know they believe in god, but will get there somehow because god is everything)

The worst way they are handling it is by having Regina wanting to adopt a BABY. They were set up PERFECTLY and (and I know that this is a dirty word on this show) AUTHENTICALLY for her and Rome to want to adopt an older child, but nope, it's baby time instead!

I actually bet we'll see them struggle with getting a baby and they eventually WILL go for an older kid, but that won't be for a while, when they realistically should be there right now. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, smartymarty said:

No way would the cops cuff everyone involved in Rome's camera scuffle.

Maybe it was implied that there was some off-camera shouting and posturing after the cops arrived (I'm looking at you, Gary).  I could see them cuffing everyone up until they got some independent stories.

• Love 1

I'm trying to decide whether the previous episode was so unentertaining that I accidentally stopped the recording early thinking it was over.  The last I remember from last week, Gary had a gun pointed at him.  I was expecting to see what became of his road rage incident, and instead he was rolling out of bed with a random woman.  What did I miss?  Clearly he didn't get shot.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, QueBueno said:

I'm trying to decide whether the previous episode was so unentertaining that I accidentally stopped the recording early thinking it was over.  The last I remember from last week, Gary had a gun pointed at him.  I was expecting to see what became of his road rage incident, and instead he was rolling out of bed with a random woman.  What did I miss?  Clearly he didn't get shot.

Nothing, guy drove away. Then Gary got into altercation at softball game, got arrested and bailed out by Katherine. Colin said No. ; )

• Love 1
On 2/3/2020 at 1:09 PM, smartymarty said:

No way would the cops cuff everyone involved in Rome's camera scuffle. They'd separate the two sides, find out what happened, and then tell them to calm down.

Yeah, maybe in an all white America. The police will always see the "dangerous" black man, whenever there is a black man in any dispute. 

• Love 4