Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Body Glitter and a Mall Safety Kit

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon learns to listen when an emotional Paige struggles with her parents' divorce; George is furious when Georgie tries to buy his way out of chores.

Airdate: Thursday, January 16, 2020

As always, please do not discuss events of The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

36 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Loved the shout-out to his wife being in labor!

I loved that too!  I hope that they'll throw a few of those in there from time to time.

37 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

If an adult can hire a lawn service, why can't Georgie pay Billy to cut the grass?

As a parent, I agree with George.  They are a family and they each have chores to do.  Working or not, Georgie needs to do his part.  It's a matter of respect that Georgie do what his Dad told him to do.  Georgie is not the one calling the shots in the house.  He needs to respect his Dad's authority.  To me, that's what it boils down to.  It was an 'eff you' kind of move by Georgie by undermining his Dad's authority.   

• Love 15

I’ve been enjoying this season but this is the first episode I’ve loved. 

Paige episodes always throw Sheldon in a way that makes him more sympathetic. 

The George and Georgie plot was good because I can understand and sympathize with both of their points. 

I loved Sheldon’s calling Dr. Sturgis for help. I laughed throughout their entire conversation. 

Sheldon: Do you ever wish that you weren’t smart?

John: So I would be short, lonely and stupid? Now that seems worse.

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ah, the beginning of the "hot beverage" as therapy.

I loved the juxtaposition of Paige, sad and lost and meriting a hot beverage, with the supremely confident Missy getting her cold beverage from the fridge. 

• Love 5

I actually heard Amy's voice telling him to throw the hot beverage in his face. 

George's face when Missy walked through the kitchen with that body glitter all over her face was perfection.

I see both sides of the son/father argument. But I have to side with George. Georgie was behaving very rudely. 

I laughed through this whole episode though. Especially the John/Sheldon chat. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Mystery said:

I loved the juxtaposition of Paige, sad and lost and meriting a hot beverage, with the supremely confident Missy getting her cold beverage from the fridge. 

I didn't even think of that!

• Love 6

Missy looked so gross with all that glitters on her face and arms but I love how happy she was, lol. And yes, George's facial expression was awesome, lol. 

I also really enjoyed the scene where Paige opens up to Sheldon. I was expecting Sheldon to be tone deaf when Paige opened up but he was surprisingly appropriate and I loved him offering her a hot beverage.

I also enjoyed Georgie telling George that he offered Billy Sparks two dollars but he only wanted one dollar. Oh Billy Sparks, lol.

• Love 23

I think a lot of sitcoms would have played the shoplifting for laughs, with Sheldon getting caught or almost caught and then shenanigans ensue for most of the episode.  I'm glad the writers are creative enough to have that be a jumping off point for the Paige/Sheldon interaction, not the main focus. 

It's a little sad to see Missy so nonchalant about it, although watching her swan around the kitchen with stolen body glitter all over her was priceless.

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Missy looked so gross with all that glitters on her face and arms but I love how happy she was, lol. And yes, George's facial expression was awesome, lol. 

I also really enjoyed the scene where Paige opens up to Sheldon. I was expecting Sheldon to be tone deaf when Paige opened up but he was surprisingly appropriate and I loved him offering her a hot beverage.

I also enjoyed Georgie telling George that he offered Billy Sparks two dollars but he only wanted one dollar. Oh Billy Sparks, lol.

I agree. Missy did look gross. But that is the difference between adult me and kid me. Kid me would have thought that looked FANTASTIC and a half!

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Bali said:

I actually heard Amy's voice telling him to throw the hot beverage in his face. 

George's face when Missy walked through the kitchen with that body glitter all over her face was perfection.

I see both sides of the son/father argument. But I have to side with George. Georgie was behaving very rudely. 

I laughed through this whole episode though. Especially the John/Sheldon chat. 

My mental image of this had me laughing so hard that I need to rewatch that part of the episode because I didn't hear the next set of dialogue. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

My mental image of this had me laughing so hard that I need to rewatch that part of the episode because I didn't hear the next set of dialogue. 

IIRC, that's when it went to commercial, then came back for the last little bit.   I loved hearing older Sheldon say that he learned that the best way to listen to somebody was to sit there, and when you feel like leaving, don't!!  How many of us have ever been in that situation with a co-worker who won't shut up, but you can't walk away because then you'd be rude.  Raising my hand as I think of 2 co-workers who don't know when to end their stories.  I will now recite Sheldon's advice in my head and when that smile breaks out on my face, they'll wonder what I'm so happy about.   😉 

I also love Billy's happy-go-lucky attitude.  He's so oblivious to things around him, but bless his heart, he's just so adorable and loveable!  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

well, obviously if you're saving up for a jetski (really, Billy, a jetski), you wouldn't want two dollars because with that much cash, you're likely to blow it.  1 dollar is much easier to save.

To bad Billy wasn't my grandmother's neighbor, in the 2000's (the decade not the century), she was trying to hire kids to mow her lawn for a quarter.  Surprisingly, she had no takers.

Edited by Katy M
  • LOL 6
19 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I loved that too!  I hope that they'll throw a few of those in there from time to time.

As a parent, I agree with George.  They are a family and they each have chores to do.  Working or not, Georgie needs to do his part.  It's a matter of respect that Georgie do what his Dad told him to do.  Georgie is not the one calling the shots in the house.  He needs to respect his Dad's authority.  To me, that's what it boils down to.  It was an 'eff you' kind of move by Georgie by undermining his Dad's authority.   

I understand and agree with do chores because you're part of the family, but the truth is George doesn't appear to do much in the way of chores. He's outsourced the lawn care to Georgie, and probably the auto maintenance too. (I would, if I were him.) So what exactly does he do to set an example? Still, I can see how being disrespected bothers him, though he lets Sheldon do it all the time.

He should have talked to Georgie about not ripping off dumb younger kids, though. Oh, Billy Sparks, you poor, sweet, gullible thing.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I understand and agree with do chores because you're part of the family, but the truth is George doesn't appear to do much in the way of chores. He's outsourced the lawn care to Georgie, and probably the auto maintenance too. (I would, if I were him.) So what exactly does he do to set an example?

George is the father and ultimately responsible for his family and keeping a roof over their heads.  He has a lot of responsibility on himself as a parent.  He sets an example by being a good husband and father, and by going to work everyday to a job he seems less than enthused about, but he's there to support his family, so he does what he has to do.   

I don't see it as a Dad outsourcing a chore to his kid either.  Back in the 60's & 70's when I was growing up, my brother and I had specific chores around the house and I never felt like my parents were outsourcing their work to me! They worked hard themselves!   Every kid I knew had to either help inside the house or mow the lawn, and if you were lucky enough to have a pool, then you helped maintain it too.    If any of us had talked to our Dads the way Georgie did to his, OMG, there would've been hell to pay!  Georgie still lives at home and goes to high school.  He's not in the 'barking out orders' stage of his life, but rather the 'I still have to ask permission and do what my parents tell me' stage!  

I work in a dental office, so I see plenty of kids.  I try to make small talk with the kids & teenagers so as to put them at ease.  It's really disheartening to me that a lot of them I talk to have no chores or any responsibilities at home.  One mom told me that she'd rather do things herself because she's so particular about how things get done.  That's sad to me.  IMO, kids need to learn how to do things around the house.  It'll help them so much later on in life.  

• Love 15
21 hours ago, anna0852 said:

My heart broke for Paige. Whoever wrote those lines has experienced divorce for sure.

Either the writer experienced divorced or did a ton of research.

18 hours ago, Dani said:

Paige episodes always throw Sheldon in a way that makes him more sympathetic. 

That's a facinating point. Paige brings out a side of Sheldon we don't see often. When he's around an intellectual equal, he acts more like a kid and less like a stuck-up genuis. Sheldon really cares about Paige, and it's rare to see him care that much about someone he isn't related to. 

Also, Sheldon will listen to Dr. Sturgis and take him seriously. This makes sense when you remember that Sheldon thinks he is smarter and knows better than most of the adults around him. Dr. Sturgis is the exception. 

15 hours ago, GSManiac said:

The fact Amy was in labour completely went over my head. 

I could have sworn in an voice-over earlier in this series Sheldon mentioned his own children. 

13 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I don't see it as a Dad outsourcing a chore to his kid either.  Back in the 60's & 70's when I was growing up, my brother and I had specific chores around the house and I never felt like my parents were outsourcing their work to me! They worked hard themselves!   Every kid I knew had to either help inside the house or mow the lawn, and if you were lucky enough to have a pool, then you helped maintain it too.

I agree with you. Parents assigning children age-appropriate is not outsourcing the chore. It is teaching the children about responsibility and that everyone in the family has to help out to make sure everything is taken care of.  Even though Georgie may not need an allowence for spending money, he is still living at home and his parents are providing most of his needs. 

• Love 8

McKenna Grace is good!  She played that scene with Sheldon listening perfectly.

I loved Missy swanning around the kitchen in her body glitter, even though her face looked plastic and immobile.  George's expression was priceless, as was Meemaw's when Georgie walked away from her house.

The best bit, though, was the conversation between Sheldon and Dr. Sturgis.  

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I work in a dental office, so I see plenty of kids.  I try to make small talk with the kids & teenagers so as to put them at ease.  It's really disheartening to me that a lot of them I talk to have no chores or any responsibilities at home. 

I know this is beside your point, but if you’re trying to put kids at ease in a dentist office by chatting about chores, I’m not sure you’re accomplishing what you’ve intended. 😞

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I agree with you. Parents assigning children age-appropriate is not outsourcing the chore. It is teaching the children about responsibility and that everyone in the family has to help out to make sure everything is taken care of.  Even though Georgie may not need an allowence for spending money, he is still living at home and his parents are providing most of his needs. 

Okay, maybe outsourcing was the wrong word. I don't think there is anything wrong with kids doing chores. I've said before that the kids on this show should be doing more chores around the house. I guess George just reminds me of my own dad. While my mom worked very hard keeping house for 11 people and all of us kids did chores, my dad mostly sat around and drank beer when he was home; something the show has shown George doing quite a bit.

Yes, they had/have jobs and provide for the family financially. But there is more to being a full member of the family than that.  I think it would benefit the entire family to have George wash an occasional dish and that being seen as we're a family and we all pull together. Actions speak louder than words.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I guess George just reminds me of my own dad. While my mom worked very hard keeping house for 11 people and all of us kids did chores, my dad mostly sat around and drank beer when he was home; something the show has shown George doing quite a bit.

My dad didn't sit around drinking beer but he sure didn't do anything around the house and I agree this sounds a lot like the way they are portraying George.  

I don't have a problem with kids being expected to do chores, I do have a problem with the "we're all part of this family and that means we all do our bit" argument when it's obvious at least one senior family member isn't really buying into that!  I don't care if George works outside the home or not - Mary does too - and the kids all go to school.  George shouldn't get a pass on doing some stuff around the house just because his paycheque may be bigger than Mary's!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I know this is beside your point, but if you’re trying to put kids at ease in a dentist office by chatting about chores, I’m not sure you’re accomplishing what you’ve intended.

I ask them about all sorts of things (sports, school, etc!)  Sometimes the topic of chores comes up when they've been on a long break from school.  I'll ask them what they've been up to, and most of them say "nothing."  So I'll nicely ask if they have stuff to do around the house, and again, "nope."   It just sort of comes up randomly.  Most of them I talk to seem to be lazy and have zero motivation, and I find that sad.  Their parents expect nothing out of them, so they do nothing.  At least with this show, George expects more out of Georgie, and whether he understands that or not, his Dad really does care about him.   

I'm glad that Georgie has some get up and go and wants to work, and I admire that, but he still has to respect his Dad's authority.  

2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

My dad didn't sit around drinking beer but he sure didn't do anything around the house and I agree this sounds a lot like the way they are portraying George.  

But we have seen George fixing things around the house.  He was under the sink when Missy asked him to show her how to play catch.  He's not a do-nothing Dad!

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I ask them about all sorts of things (sports, school, etc!)  Sometimes the topic of chores comes up when they've been on a long break from school.  I'll ask them what they've been up to, and most of them say "nothing."  So I'll nicely ask if they have stuff to do around the house, and again, "nope."   It just sort of comes up randomly.  Most of them I talk to seem to be lazy and have zero motivation, and I find that sad.  Their parents expect nothing out of them, so they do nothing.  At least with this show, George expects more out of Georgie, and whether he understands that or not, his Dad really does care about him.   

I'm glad that Georgie has some get up and go and wants to work, and I admire that, but he still has to respect his Dad's authority.  

I guess it’s a matter of knowing your audience. I know that I, either now or as a kid, wouldn’t be put at ease by someone trying to chat me up about random topics. 

But I think we can all agree that these kids need to get off of our lawns!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess it’s a matter of knowing your audience.

That's true, and since I see most of them every 6 months, I do know most of them very well!   For a lot of them, having people ask how they're doing and what they've been up to is actually a welcome thing.   You get them chatting about something that's important to them, and they light up like a Christmas tree!  It's better to win them over before you have to nag them about brushing their teeth!!  Of course if they don't want to talk, then I don't say much.   

Bringing this back to the show, I understand Georgie's angst and his mood swings, but I'm glad that MeeMaw helped him understand that he insulted his Dad by offering him money.  Georgie meant well, but as she said, he'll truly understand it if he ever has kids.   George has been very patient with Georgie, but in this episode, he crossed a line.   A teenager can have their moods, but I draw the line at disrespecting a parent.  YMMV. 

• Love 1
On 1/17/2020 at 8:41 AM, Frost said:

It's a little sad to see Missy so nonchalant about it, although watching her swan around the kitchen with stolen body glitter all over her was priceless.

I've never actually seen anybody wear body glitter.  Is it supposed to go all over one's face like that?  

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I've never actually seen anybody wear body glitter.  Is it supposed to go all over one's face like that?  

I took it as just the kids not knowing exactly where to put it and so they put it where they thought it looked pretty—or they did know and thought it looked pretty anyway. 😀

I found myself more on Georgie’s side while Mr. HouseofBeck leaned more toward George’s. To me, George and the other coach’s conversation really showed the unfortunate aspects of George’s upbringing and where he still hasn’t gotten away from it to do better. He could have handled Georgie offering him money much better, as the adult in the situation, and if his pride was really that injured, turned it into a teachable moment. At least Connie helped after, though I don’t agree it was an altogether dumb move on Georgie’s part. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, HouseofBeck said:

He could have handled Georgie offering him money much better, as the adult in the situation, and if his pride was really that injured, turned it into a teachable moment. At least Connie helped after, though I don’t agree it was an altogether dumb move on Georgie’s part. 

I think part of the problem was that George was trying to bond with Georgie, and he was being pissy from the start (something was wrong with each restaurant George chose.)  Then in the truck, George told him he was proud of him, but Georgie barely acknowledged that and only focused on how hot it was.  By the time he waved his money in his Dad's face, tensions were high, so there wasn't much chance that things would end on a good note.  

If Georgie were a little more mature, a better approach would've been to say something like "I know you'd never want me to help pay for the A/C, but just know that I wouldn't mind pitching in and helping out."  Georgie's heart was in the right place, but his approach was all wrong!  The best thing he can do is to mow the lawn like his Dad asked him to do, and to lose the attitude.  That would mean a lot to any parent.  Some kids think that when they start driving and/or get a job that they're suddenly grown up and can live a life independent of their parents all the while living under their roof.   It doesn't work that way.   Maybe Georgie's attitude will calm down.  I like him as entrepreneur Georgie rather than pissy Georgie!  

• Love 12

I don't like the attitude but I understand where it's coming from. Georgie has been butting heads with Senior since he quit football to work at the garage last year. Junior clearly has work ethic and is a talented salesman, with an eye for opportunities. Like the snow globes or the candy at school. And until now Senior has either ignored or grumbled about it. Even if he can't vocalize it, I'd bet in Junior's head he feels too little too late. And that before you get in to the fact we hardly see Mary interact with her eldest outside the dinner table. 

If I'm Georgie I'm probably thinking that I can't win anyway, might as well just do what I want. Mom will still put her attention on Sheldon and Missy (in that order) while Dad and Meemaw will snap/snark at anything I say. So why not pay Billy to mow the lawn?

• Love 4
On 1/17/2020 at 5:06 PM, SpiritSong said:

I understand and agree with do chores because you're part of the family, but the truth is George doesn't appear to do much in the way of chores. He's outsourced the lawn care to Georgie, and probably the auto maintenance too. (I would, if I were him.) So what exactly does he do to set an example? Still, I can see how being disrespected bothers him, though he lets Sheldon do it all the time.

Not to mention, the twins are now a good way through their 10th year, definitely old enough to do some kind of chores, and yet it doesn't seem as though they have any.

3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

If it’s so hot and the A/C is broken-here’s a thought- open up the car windows people!!

If it was so hot that Georgie was drenched from having to walk home, then why the heck was Mee-Maw outside in a three-quarter sleeved blouse??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

If it was so hot that Georgie was drenched from having to walk home, then why the heck was Mee-Maw outside in a three-quarter sleeved blouse??

Because old people are always cold?

I loved the Whataburger shoutout as the third fast food burger option. It’s a local Texas chain. Although, it really should’ve been the first suggestion, it’s way better than McDonald’s and Burger King. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Maybe she stepped outside from an air conditioned house where that blouse would've been comfortable.  Or maybe she's just cold-natured.  

4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Not to mention, the twins are now a good way through their 10th year, definitely old enough to do some kind of chores, and yet it doesn't seem as though they have any.

We know that Sheldon keeps his bed in perfect order and that he likes a tidy room!  I'm guessing that he and Missy have to keep their room neat & orderly.  Sheldon wouldn't have it any other way, so I guess that's not really a chore to him!  😉  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Because she burns?

On 1/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, Frost said:

I think a lot of sitcoms would have played the shoplifting for laughs, with Sheldon getting caught or almost caught and then shenanigans ensue for most of the episode.  I'm glad the writers are creative enough to have that be a jumping off point for the Paige/Sheldon interaction, not the main focus. 

I was very impressed and very relieved that they didn't go for that standard sitcom plot. AND they didn't have Sheldon freaking out about whether to tattle or even have him try, but find that keeping the secret was too hard for him.

I'm against shoplifting, but for Sheldon it was a big deal to be able to be emotionally present for Paige more than for him to be rules-driven.

• Love 5

Did they say they went to Hot Topic at the mall? I don't think Hot Topic was a thing then. Would have been Spencer's Gifts. 😉

Thought it was funny when Mary was talking to Paige's mom and told her that she looked good. Paige's mom thanked her and said "Yeah, I started smoking again."  (I guess implying that smoking helps keep weight off.

George telling Georgie (and Sheldon? I forget) that he is proud of them.  Awww

10 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Did they say they went to Hot Topic at the mall? I don't think Hot Topic was a thing then. Would have been Spencer's Gifts. 😉

I looked it up. Hot Topic started in 1988.  I think show is up to 1991, or at least 1990, so it's kosher.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

George telling Georgie (and Sheldon? I forget) that he is proud of them.  Awww

He was proud of Sheldon for making a hot beverage for Paige!  Although it was such a random thing for his father to say, Sheldon appreciated it throughout his adulthood.  It's the little things like this that kids remember.  I'm glad that George realized that he should tell his kids he's proud of them from time to time.  I'm loving all of the back stories on things like serving someone a hot beverage when they're ailing.  It makes this show that more enjoyable to me.  

• Love 5
On 1/18/2020 at 9:01 PM, HouseofBeck said:

To me, George and the other coach’s conversation really showed the unfortunate aspects of George’s upbringing and where he still hasn’t gotten away from it to do better.

I really liked that scene.  You don't see this often on sitcoms but it's reality.  We are the people we are today because of everything that came before us.  George is the man he is, the parent he is, at least in part because of the way he was raised.  It was great to see him being brought up short by someone outside the immediate family pointing out where he was going wrong.

I also liked that the other coach didn't let himself be cowed by George telling him he couldn't understand because he doesn't have kids.  He works with teenagers every day, he has an educated opinion, he wasn't just mouthing off in a 'bachelor's children are the best raised" way.

And speaking of reality I appreciated that there was no pat solution to Paige's problem.  She was still upset after her conversation with Sheldon but hopefully being able to talk it out helped.  We don't have a magical moment where suddenly everything falls into place for her and she embraces her 'smartitude' again.

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, PennyPlain said:

I also liked that the other coach didn't let himself be cowed by George telling him he couldn't understand because he doesn't have kids.  He works with teenagers every day, he has an educated opinion, he wasn't just mouthing off in a 'bachelor's children are the best raised" way.

Not to mention the other side of the coin: someone may not have kids but they have parents. There’s plenty of advice to be mined from fails from someone else’s parents

I also liked how the other coach chastised George for harshing on his relaxation at the driving range, one goal of which was to “make white people uncomfortable.” ::snort::

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

She was still upset after her conversation with Sheldon but hopefully being able to talk it out helped. 

It was helpful that Dr. Sturgis advised Sheldon that sometimes people (especially women) just want to be heard.  We don't always want a solution to our issues, we just want our spouse/significant other to offer support by listening.  Sheldon will always believe that a hot beverage will soothe whatever ails a person!  That and Soft Kitty certainly help him!  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5
On 1/17/2020 at 6:36 PM, Browncoat said:

McKenna Grace is good!  She played that scene with Sheldon listening perfectly.

I loved Missy swanning around the kitchen in her body glitter, even though her face looked plastic and immobile.  George's expression was priceless, as was Meemaw's when Georgie walked away from her house.

The best bit, though, was the conversation between Sheldon and Dr. Sturgis.  

Is this actress related to the Kiernan Shipska (sp?),John Hamm's daughter on Mad Men? They look identical. 

• Love 1

Georgie showing his budding capitalist skills! Though I loved him saying "I tried to pay him $2 but he only wanted $1!" so while he has an eye for the dollar, he still knows not to take (too much of an) advantage of Billy's simple mindedness.

All the family discussions felt very real. And Sheldon was actually sensitive!

Loved Missy asking Paige to marry her. Not for 3 decades (and definitely not in Texas)...!

Spoiler

Since Sheldon considers himself the "glue that holds the family together", it's going to be crushing when his parents divorce.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:36 PM, Browncoat said:

I loved Missy swanning around the kitchen in her body glitter, even though her face looked plastic and immobile.  

Maybe she has a future as a trophy wife? She'd fit right in!