Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly should really hold a mirror up to her face when she talks about Nina. You know what would have been a way to not antagonize Nina, Carly? Letting her keep her job at Crimson.

Carly couldn't let Nina keep her job at Crimson because she was not Nina's boss. Drew fired her. 

Carly took the job to get back at Nina and she agreed to stay on the job because Drew talked her into it.

All the other confrontations have been between Drew and Nina. This petty war is continuing between both of them as they both are plotting against each other.

• Like 1

It’s interesting how Carly lashed out at Ava nonstop for Iike 6 years for killing Morgan but now that Ava’s in the inner circle, she doesn’t get a passing mention and Carly puts the blame solely on Olivia Jerome. 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

That said, I think that Gregory and Tracy make a very handsome couple.

Hey, maybe Nina should write about how Finn was sued by a woman whose husband died of cancer because he wouldn't get treatment because what happened with Aurora made him lose his money. A serious article about how what Carly did was not a victimless crime.

Gregory and Tracy have good chemistry, as do Finn and Alexis. If/when Finn and Elizabeth break up (in part because she is bored and needs more out of a relationship), I think Finn and Alexis would make a great couple. In addition to their friendship, neither one was complaining after their ONS!

Nina should absolutely do that!!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

That is definitely, as the Fug Girls would say, a scroll down fug. From the waist up I thought it was going to be a dress which would have been cute but then it turned into a jumpsuit. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

The wardrobe people definitely have their faves because there’s a small handful of characters who always look amazing while the rest are in boring/ill fitting if not downright hideous outfits most of the time. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

Even if CM wasn’t playing things completely unhinged, I’ll never feel sorry for Drew. He chose to go to prison instead of Carly because it was more important for Carly to be there for her kids than for Drew to be there for Scout even though the insider trading scheme was 100% her idea and against his wishes. He also chose to snitch for Sonny while in prison, which was the only reason he got beaten up.

Since getting out of prison, he spends all his time either with Carly or ranting about Nina, save a single scene with Scout where he was trying to force her to go to a school she didn’t want to attend. Hell, he took over for Michael on a business deal in Australia because he wanted Michael to be able to spend the holidays with his kids even though, again, it would mean he’s away from Scout despite his constant complaints that his prison stint caused him to lose time with her. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 12
(edited)

Karoke night is back but the actors were clearly lip synching to a recording instead of live singing like before and the show didn't want to sell out the funds for popular songs that most of us would recognize so I’m assuming it’s from the collection of random licensed music we hear in the background of scenes. 

Is Stone an anvil? I know Jagger’s son is named Stone but it was also Morgan’s middle name. 

Dan/Chris already knew that were being canned when they wrote this stuff and no one can convince me otherwise. This show has been at an all time low post Bobbie’s death. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 4
(edited)

Every six to twelve months there is Twitter speculation that often gets drummed up into 'rumors' Morgan is back and every time it's always false. I don't think that's changing. Assuming we eliminate Drew and Shawn Butler (and we can), the only person who would know Sonny's security well enough to get on the island/his Puerto Rico stronghold/wherever and operate that effectively is Jason.

It still frankly baffles me that they've left Morgan dead for so long when his death always screamed fakeout to me, but I am not exactly aching for his return. He was an exhausting person.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, jsbt said:

I am not exactly aching for his return. He was an exhausting person.

Morgan can stay dead. Sonny losing a son, even if it wasn't directly connected to his business, was a logical extension of his lifestyle. He needed a really big loss, even if it hasn't changed anything.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

He chose to go to prison instead of Carly because it was more important for Carly to be there for her kids than for Drew to be there for Scout even though the insider trading scheme was 100% her idea and against his wishes.

oh no - it's even better than that.  It was more important for him to go to jail because Donna would live with Sonny and Nina. and Carly agreed that would be horrible. both of them suck

• Like 4
  • Love 9

I said my feelings about Spinelli/Maxie yesterday but while it’s partially fan serve, I also think it’s mainly happening because they’ve lost interest in Maxie as a character so they’re pairing her off just to say she isn’t single anymore. I’ll be shocked if they actually get storylines together and we see them sharing a lot of scenes outside of the holidays and events like weddings or funerals. Spinelli will likely spend most of his limited screen time with Jason once he returns like always. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Morgan can stay dead. Sonny losing a son, even if it wasn't directly connected to his business, was a logical extension of his lifestyle. He needed a really big loss, even if it hasn't changed anything.

It's very weird that it's always felt like such a nonevent to me. I chalk that up to the show probably not being committed to his long-term death at the time, but it's stuck for now for whatever reason. Michael's shooting in the 2000s and the events that followed were far more impactful for years after.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What interesting timing that Carly gets the "moral victory" in quitting Crimson and dumping Drew in 3...2...1 just in time for the twin she always wanted to return. 

I saw that happening from a mile away and while Drew having egg on his face is mildly entertaining, in the end Carly wins. Drew was always nothing more to her than a Jason stand in who we all knew she would forget existed the moment Jason returned. Having Drew acts this way shields her from that criticism because now she can claim it was all because he’s toxic. And hey, bonus because the show hates us, Carly will be able to rant about Nina ruining Drew. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, ciarra said:

My eyes are still burning from this:

ME TOO!!!!!!

And seriously, who walks around their house wearing high heels??

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

The wardrobe people definitely have their faves because there’s a small handful of characters who always look amazing while the rest are in boring/ill fitting if not downright hideous outfits most of the time. 

They don't seem to hate Maxie as much as they used to....

• Like 3

Grand opening grand closing! I do wonder if the immediate 180 on Crimson is a new team choice or not.

25 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

They don't seem to hate Maxie as much as they used to....

I don't think that has anything to do with the wardrobe team tbqh.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I hate Drew and I can't stand CM's acting, especially when the writing has him spewing lines like "I hear you," which is such a couples' therapy line, but I feel sorry for CM who is getting shafted because of Jason's return. Man, SBu comes back to the show, and the character who is in Carly/Sonny's orbit just gets kicked in the teeth. Never mind that the writers twisted Drew into a pretzel and sucked the things that made him a pretty good character in service of Carly, for him to become unhinged so that she has a free pass to dump his dumb ass. The writers really suck ass and they never fail at being predictable. 

I really could care less about Maxie and Spinelli. I still find it shocking that Spinelli is part of the show. I FFed that whole karaoke business. I saw that they kissed, but it seemed like Spinelli planted one on Maxie without her consent because women just love that.

Anna and Dante really need to stop acting so smug with their investigation. The whole plot is incredibly stupid. And Dante sounds like an idiot when he talks about people having a vendetta against Sonny. Be pretty and take a seat, Dante. Your papa is a career criminal and the job of law enforcement is to toss him in jail. Never mind that the FBI investigation is about mob bosses being taken out one by one.

I don't even know what to make of the whole "Stone" business other than to sic Sonny on Jagger. Mo always takes me out of his scenes when he uses his shrill voice. I just can't take Sonny seriously at all. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 14
(edited)

Drew, if you're so concerned about your daughter, stop trying to take revenge on Nina and spend some time with Scout. He's such an idiot. He's also been a big enough asshole that I'm enjoying him get all bent out of shape about Nina. He brought all of this upon himself but refuses to admit, so, karma's a bitch, pal.

This mob boss thing is so boring. I know they're treading water until Jason returns, but that doesn't mean the story can't progress.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5
21 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Mo always takes me out of his scenes when he uses his shrill voice. I just can't take Sonny seriously at all. 

He's been particularly awful lately. He doesn't really convey what he's supposed to convey -- it's like instead of sounding angry, he sounds like what he thinks angry should sound like, if that makes sense. Combine that with the character tics he's developed over the years, and he's coming off as more of a caricature than a character. 

JMO.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Makes me wonder if they’re clearing decks with various tiresome dangling threads in more ways than one lately by having Curtis come clean to Portia re: Selina Wu, in addition to the Dex/Michael business, etc.

• Like 2

I muted the “torture” scene because it was just too ridiculous so I missed the “Stone” info. 

Maybe Jason doesn’t know who he is and thinks he’s Stone? I know it makes no sense but I’m hoping against hope that I won’t have to see the Jason character again. 

Why was Cyrus meeting up with a total stranger? I understand the rational but it’s so boring.

Dante was right though, I think “John” is acting sus.

Everybody on screen looks better dressed, so there’s that. 

• Like 1

I will say I've wondered if a few scenes recently - specifically Curtis and Trina talking about grief, and Nina and Diane and Valentin and Scorpio's dual clashes and one other that's just now escaped my memory - got touched up by the new writers. All of them seemed a bit smarter than the average dross. But it's hard to say, and I couldn't pinpoint them clearly as a new/old voice.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Maybe Jason doesn’t know who he is and thinks he’s Stone? I know it makes no sense but I’m hoping against hope that I won’t have to see the Jason character again. 

Jason was buried under a rock slide or something similar in Greece, so amnesia wouldn't be totally out of nowhere.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I will say I've wondered if a few scenes recently - specifically Curtis and Trina talking about grief, and Nina and Diane and Valentin and Scorpio's dual clashes and one other that's just now escaped my memory - got touched up by the new writers. All of them seemed a bit smarter than the average dross. But it's hard to say, and I couldn't pinpoint them clearly as a new/old voice.

Whether or not a new/old voice, those scenes stood out for me, too. Definitely a step above what we usually get.  I thought the Nina/Diane scene might have been there partly to serve as exposition to people like me, who weren't watching at the time referenced. I know almost nothing about Nina's past life, nor her arrival to Port Charles. 

Speaking of exposition, does it strike anyone else that it has become Felicia's primary role?     

• Like 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, JMO said:

I thought the Nina/Diane scene might have been there partly to serve as exposition to people like me, who weren't watching at the time referenced. I know almost nothing about Nina's past life, nor her arrival to Port Charles. 

I also appreciated it, as I have never forgotten just how bugfuck crazy Nina was when she first came to town. I may have almost zero tolerance for Diane on a good day but nothing she said about Nina was wrong.

It seemed like they were about to bring up Ava's long and very ugly criminal history with Sonny beyond just her connection to Olivia yesterday, which I also appreciated.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, rur said:

He's been particularly awful lately. He doesn't really convey what he's supposed to convey -- it's like instead of sounding angry, he sounds like what he thinks angry should sound like, if that makes sense. Combine that with the character tics he's developed over the years, and he's coming off as more of a caricature than a character. 

JMO.

I wonder  if it we are  getting Carson again, because that would explain Mo's demeanor.   He doesn't want it.  And I think he wanted to continue working with Cynthia.  IMO he was very, very clear about that on Twitter.  So I don't know.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
(edited)

I am really pissed! I was sooooo looking forward to Drew getting dumped by Carly the minute Jason resurfaces. I wanted to see Drew's stupid "Charlie Brown with the football" loser face when he realized he was duped, again. BUT NOW they are making him derranged to the point he is even willing to let Carly go so he can focus on his Nina revenge --denying me my prize!!!!! And letting Carly off the hook as the dumper! ...I guess I am the real Charlie Brown when it comes to expecting anything satisfying from this show. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 11
  • LOL 6

CM was really working the bug-eyed insane and his crazy version of jazz hands.  Even Carly's weirded out, and usually everyone who adores her can do no wrong.  Operation Make Drew An Asshole is just about complete, right on schedule for the Winning Twin to return. 

• Like 13

Stone?  A redirect at Jagger but real person is Stone Cold?

Carly suddenly wants Nina out of her life but had no problem walking into the office and gloating, or not having an issue with Drew's punishing her by firing her for no work reason.  So now his magazine has no editor. Lol. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CeChase said:

I wonder  if it we are  getting Carson again, because that would explain Mo's demeanor.   He doesn't want it.

Dude sounds congested.  I think he has a cold.

Karaoke was painful.  You're supposed to sing something fun, Spin.  Otherwise, it's a good thing Charlie's is at ground level because people would be jumping out the windows to get away. 

Previews:  Not the embryo, again.  I was hoping it would be born for May Sweeps.  Then everyone can ignore its existence, like when was the last time Bailey Lu was on screen?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Carly suddenly wants Nina out of her life but had no problem walking into the office and gloating, or not having an issue with Drew's punishing her by firing her for no work reason.  So now his magazine has no editor. Lol. 

Carly doesn’t care anymore because she won- Sonny wants to divorce her. She got the main thing she wanted. She’s claiming the higher ground now but god knows she was smug as hell when Micheal bribed an official to charge Nina with a fake crime, when she realized that she had the Willow secret when she lost the MC, and like you said when she took over Nina’s job. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

That’s where I think they’re headed, a la the “AJ” that Connie wrote after being shot. I noticed the immediate cut from the garden shed “Stone” scene to Jagger.

That karaoke stuff was top-shelf cringey. I kept hoping Ava or Tracy would unsuspectingly walk into Charlie’s just for their non-verbal reaction.

Yesterday’s theme was really caricature characters: threat-y Sonny, rage-y Drew, and Spinelli. 

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

I think Carly was willing to swan into Crimson and pretend to be the new editor as a final dig at Nina, and then when Drew decided he needed more than just a pound of Nina's flesh, she noped out. I don't find that hypocritical, actually. Carly seems to have drawn a line under wanting to get back at Nina. That's pretty reasonable, IMO. Especially for Carly.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jsbt said:

That's that Lavery Rage!

Perfection! Lavery Rage is rooted not just in anger but in self-righteousness. And enhanced by bad acting!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
On 2/22/2024 at 11:55 AM, Bringonthedrama said:

If/when Finn and Elizabeth break up (in part because she is bored and needs more out of a relationship),

I agree.  Elizabeth has always had a thing for bad boys/men.  And with Jason returning…..

I get that Elizabeth/Finn is boring as hell, but wishing Jason on her is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jason is gross, she deserves better. She'll play second fiddle to Carly and the Carlys, her sons will have zero stability and she'll go back to that place where she is pathetic trying to hang on to that dumbass. Ditto Sam.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

I can't see Elizabeth and Jason getting back together at this point. There will always be warmth between them, but I think the romantic flame is long extinguished. Or at least I hope it is, because that's a re-pairing that is really unnecessary, maybe even more so than Spin and Maxie, also completely unnecessary.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

It would be great if Ava was proven to have orchestrated a lot of Sonny’s isolation, for instance by counselling Nina not to tell him she was the leaker, knowing he would see it as an unforgivable betrayal.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Desperado said:

It would be great if Ava was proven to have orchestrated a lot of Sonny’s isolation, for instance by counselling Nina not to tell him she was the leaker, knowing he would see it as an unforgivable betrayal.

That was my first thought the other day when I saw her eavesdropping on Sonny and Wu. And Ava has done it before.

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I get that Elizabeth/Finn is boring as hell, but wishing Jason on her is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jason is gross, she deserves better.

I never said Elizabeth would want Jason back, although I could see Jason wanting her back. I would like to see Patrick's brother finally return (from prison) and for him to be Elizabeth's love interest. They had great chemistry and he was good with her then-little boys.

I think the whole audience must have head trauma from the "Jason is returning" anvils across almost all the scenes. Sheesh!!  Sam, that bridge was Jason and Robin's special place, not "Jason's place to think." And I don't believe for one second that Danny knows about that bridge or has spent significant time thinking about/missing Jason while talking to a friend. I'm sure Danny's friend has a relationship with the dad who was deployed; Jason was an absentee dad. Also, Sam and Jason rode motorcycles together. That was their bond. Her talking about feeling close to Jason on that bridge is a total retcon!

"This baby/pregnancy has nothing to do with Kristina" She responded to the doctor in the moment without thinking; she didn't try to demand anything. TJ is an asshole. No matter what happens in the future, he's going to think the worst of his surrogate/SIL.  At least someone was thinking of Kristina's feelings. But I'm legit shocked there was a gay love scene during a pregnancy. Seems way too controversial for GH, a show which backburned the gay son from a legacy family for most of the time he was a part of the cast.

The Elizabeth-Sam scene was good though. Kudos to Becky Herbst. Sam knows zero about teenagers, clearly. And again, Jason's brain was compromised when you met him.

I guess Gregory is starting to develop feelings for Tracy?

Again, why is a serial killer allowed to walk around and attack someone? First in the cemetery, now in Pentonville? I had to roll my eyes at Heather's screaming.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 4
  • Applause 4
2 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I never said Elizabeth would want Jason back, although I could see Jason wanting her back.

I was responding to the post right above mine. Honestly, I'm not even sure why Jason would want Elizabeth back. When he "died" he was allegedly in love with Carly. And now she's going to be single.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Jason was buried under a rock slide or something similar in Greece, so amnesia wouldn't be totally out of nowhere.

is it too much to ask that he comes back thinking he is Jason Quartermaine?  And wants nothing to do with Sonny or Carly?  Kind of like Sonny/Mike in Nixon Falls, except interesting.

16 hours ago, ciarra said:

Carly found out how much work editing a magazine was, and needed an excuse to quit.

she must want to get back to the "salt of the earth people" who frequent Kelly's Bobbie's

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I get that Elizabeth/Finn is boring as hell, but wishing Jason on her is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jason is gross, she deserves better. She'll play second fiddle to Carly and the Carlys, her sons will have zero stability and she'll go back to that place where she is pathetic trying to hang on to that dumbass. Ditto Sam.

I totally agree with all of this except the Sam part.  I think that bottom-feeder is a perfect match for Jason.  The only problem is that they would never write that story:  Two shitty people who deserve nothing better than to be miserable together so that the rest of the world can be spared being subjected to either of them.  Instead if they do pair Jason and Sam together again they will shove them down our throats as The Golden Couple.  Hard pass.

• Like 6