Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Overall, strong episode!

You would think that with all the ranting the Carlys have done about how Nina kept Sonny away from his two young daughters, that Joss would at least factor that in to the scenario-running that she and Dex were doing. As in, "I hate Sonny and want him put away, but is that fair to Donna and Avery?"

I am still not sure whether to believe Heather. She definitely included interesting details, but it's also possible she made all this up just to get to see Esme. Once she's gotten that, not sure if she'll recant or not. Didn't she already hint at that?

One elephant in the room that I guess just isn't convenient for the writers to address -- where is Esme's lawyer? We the viewers know that Marty's hanging out with Lucy, of course, but I'm not sure why no one is getting suspicious, or at least talking about how she needs representation.

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 12
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Such a cutie--even if it's another 4-month old

I think I remember reading once that you have to be 6 months old before you can start working.

40 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

NAC, GF and MW were all  great today.   Felt so bad for Spencer today when he (wrongly) figured out that he's the reason Nikolas had left town. 

Well, he would have left town if Ava hadn't killed him, and it was because of the ultimatum Spenser gave him.  

5 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

One elephant in the room that I guess just isn't convenient for the writers to address -- where is Esme's lawyer? We the viewers know that Marty's hanging out with Lucy, of course, but I'm not sure why no one is getting suspicious, or at least talking about how she needs representation.

It'd be a conflict of interest for Scott or Diane, so I think they're out of lawyers.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It'd be a conflict of interest for Scott or Diane, so I think they're out of lawyers.

Right, but since Marty has already been hired to represent Esme, and she's got some pressing legal issues going right now (including a lot of questions she's been answering without counsel) -- the subject of where he is should have come up.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think I remember reading once that you have to be 6 months old before you can start working.

yeah they upped the age, and the paediatric board has pretty much nixed the notion of newborns on stage anyway. truthfully, i know the babies are are big etc, but i'd rather an active baby than a doll. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Yep, baby Cassadine is Steven Lars' nephew as well as Lucky Spencer's nephew, Aiden's cousin, and Spencer's brother. 

Baby Ace is also the nephew of Franco. He is related to the Davis coven, Sam and Lulu's kids. 

That child has a huge extended family.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

yeah they upped the age, and the paediatric board has pretty much nixed the notion of newborns on stage anyway. truthfully, i know the babies are are big etc, but i'd rather an active baby than a doll. 

I do recall, when Robin and Patrick had Emma, REAL infants were used. THOSE babies (if I recall, their names were Rose and Ruby)  were almost newborns. I recall reading at some public appearance that JT/KMc once had where JT talked about how scared he was of holding such a small baby when Patrick was holding Emma.

Obviously things have changed. Maybe the pandemic also had a role in using older babies, too (since they can have shots where true infants haven't yet!).

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

the baby playing Amelia is actually twin boys, so I'm wondering if the same babies are being used to play Ace.  They're both the same size and fantastically gorgeous and it's not like willow and Esme would be in the same room together with their babies that anyone would notice the likeness.  It would certainly save on having two different babies on set at the same time.  

• Like 4

I wonder if there will be any follow up to Joss lying to the cops. Heather admitted Joss was the target on New Year's Eve but Britt showed up. 

I'm still convinced that  the stupid Mildew wedding being the same day as the Pikeman shipment had got to be significant. Sonny will be elsewhere when the delivery happens, Dex will be there when shit goes sideways and will get hurt, Joss will find out Michael is Dex's 'employer' 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

I see this newer, softer Sonny still likes to collect the babies even if it is by proxy. Spencer being all possessive of Esme Jr. is not a good look and I hope he finally sees sense and stops wanting custody.

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Yep, baby Cassadine is Steven Lars' nephew as well as Lucky Spencer's nephew, Aiden's cousin, and Spencer's brother. 

2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Also Rocco and Charlotte's cousin.

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Baby Ace is also the nephew of Franco. He is related to the Davis coven, Sam and Lulu's kids.

I know that this is a soap but that's just straight up ridiculous. That baby is related to every family still living in Port Charles except the Robinsons including the Quartermaines via Michael.

5 hours ago, ffwbe said:

The Joss/Dex angst doesn’t particularly work if they are on the same side. Maybe he should have kept her in the dark so she could keep lecturing him on the mob. What’s the conflict exactly? 

Michael and Sonny don't approve. Horrors.

• LOL 6
32 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

this is a soap but that's just straight up ridiculous. That baby is related to every family still living in Port Charles except the Robinsons including the Quartermaines via Michael

I'm getting a headache trying to connect Michael to Baby Ace. Help?

• Like 4
Just now, tessaray said:

Via adoption, Michael is cousins with Spencer who is Ace's brother.

Or

Via adoption, Michael is brother to Kristina who is cousins with Nikolas who is Ace's father.

Or

Via adoption, Michael is cousin to Molly who is cousins with Nikolas who is Ace's father

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

I haven't been to a hospital nursery since I was born, but I would think these days they don't allow just anyone to wander in and visit the babies.  Isn't there some sort of security now?  And they don't let anyone but the parents visit. 

please-take-one-signtext-design-1213.png.685b8705c19e5ec021ca563ce97aefe5.png

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 2
Just now, nilyank said:

Or

Via adoption, Michael is brother to Kristina who is cousins with Nikolas who is Ace's father.

Or

Via adoption, Michael is cousin to Molly who is cousins with Nikolas who is Ace's father

Ah, I was thinking direct relations. Sharing relatives, that I can grasp.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Ah, I was thinking direct relations. Sharing relatives, that I can grasp.

Ace is not related directly to any Corinthii (except Molly and Kristina) or any Q or Spencers who don't have any blood relations to Laura.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 2

Gotta love Heather all, "I killed this person, this person, this person, but no I didn't kill that guard!" I mean really Heather, it's kinda like once you've already got 4 cats it's not really that big of a deal to adopt one more.  

Does Scotty not read the news, get news alerts on his phone, have whatever Port Charles's answer to Twitter is? (For some reason I really hope it's called something ridiculous, like "Chuckles", but then again I also don't because the joke would get run into the ground real quick). 

The collective brain trust of Dex and Joss is as dumb as ever so this should go well.  

I'm not a baby person, but man that incredibly large "newborn" baby is adorable! 

Sonny, I inexplicably like you now but stop with the stupid threats towards a deranged lunatic who is already in policy custody! You're much better as wise old sage Sonny than stompy tantrum "don't mess with my fambily" Sonny. Now if Jordan forgets to lock the cell door or the handcuffs, or really just forgets that Heather's supposed to be in custody entirely then maybe you can make good on some threats.  

• Like 6

NAC and MW were awesome again today. Spencer's realization that he was Esme and Ryan's tool, and that he helped drive Nik further into crazytown, was so well played. I'm still hoping that Nik is alive, that Austin suspects it, and that Ava doesn't yet have a clue.

Is Cameron still keeping it secret that he and Joss broke up because she's a cheating cheater who cheats and lies? Joss is and will always be a hypocritical jerk. I sincerely doubt there will be any consequence for her lying about Britt's death, but wouldn't it be great if Liesl took care of her with a pillow? Or poison? Or whatever? One less Carly on this show would be great.

38 minutes ago, sashabear21 said:

Gotta love Heather all, "I killed this person, this person, this person, but no I didn't kill that guard!" I mean really Heather, it's kinda like once you've already got 4 cats it's not really that big of a deal to adopt one more. 

Ha ha, this is exactly how I ended up with all my foundlings!

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Kitty Redstone said:
54 minutes ago, sashabear21 said:

Is that kinda like "I shot the Sheriff, but I did not kill no Deputy. Oh, no."

• LOL 10
9 hours ago, MarciNJ said:

Also, FIVE mental hospitals local to Port Charles?  Damn, thats a lot of crazy....

As Winston Wolfe noted, that’s about half the hospitals these dimwits need.

4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

the baby playing Amelia is actually twin boys, so I'm wondering if the same babies are being used to play Ace.  

Unlikely, depending on age. Babies under 6 months can only be on set for 20 minutes at a time. Older babies get a couple of hours, so I guess it’s possible if the twins are old enough and the scenes are short enough. (Which would also explain why the newborns always look too big.)

Sam, opening the door to Ponyboy: “Yes, Dante’s home. He’ll be right down. We were in the shower.” Ew, ew. Nobody needs to know about your shower sex, Sam.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

the baby playing Amelia is actually twin boys, so I'm wondering if the same babies are being used to play Ace.

I thought it looked like the same baby, it is hard to really tell  but the cuteness, the size, the cheapness of GH pointed to same babies for me.

5 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

NAC and MW were awesome again today. Spencer's realization that he was Esme and Ryan's tool, and that he helped drive Nik further into crazytown, was so well played. I'm still hoping that Nik is alive, that Austin suspects it, and that Ava doesn't yet have a clue.

I am hoping so.  Then (recast) Nik, Spencer, Esme, baby, Ava can all live on Spoon Island as one big happy family 😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

They were. But I'm really bothered by this whole let's hide Nikolas in a closet inside the stables. The island is swarming with cops. Ava was at the hospital, not remotely worried about a single thing while standing there by the nursery.

Unless Austin moved him, in which case he would know if he was actually alive, then the cops should find Nikolas. 

And with Elizabeth's confession that she and Nikolas were holding Esme prisoner, they should be issuing some kind of an arrest warrant for him. I guess they will say he skipped town because he felt the walls were closing in on him.

I don't know why I'm thinking so hard about this.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

I'm so curious to find out if Nicholas is really dead, if he's alive but gone, or, if he's alive and not gone.  I can't really recall the details of MC being fired.  Did they say the character was being written off?  Because I feel like this could go either way...they knew they were killing off Nicholas, or, they knew they weren't killing him off, but thought this storyline would be a great time to do a recast.    

So that's bothering me, like what the hell is going on?  Other than that, to me, this whole Esme storyline is riveting.  I totally  love it!  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Friday was really good overall, though I think Dax and Joss wasn’t that interesting. The best part was Ava telling Spencer that his relationship with Esme was a setup by Ryan from the beginning, as was the Heather confession stuff and Laura with Esme. I also liked Elizabeth’s conversation with Cameron. They seem so natural as mother and son and their conversations, both on Friday and in past episodes, are so interesting to listen to and feel so realistic 

• Like 7

The stuff about the actor being fired makes me think that they were not going to write Nikolas off but then had to change course to write him off for a while.  Naturally he had to "die," not just disappear for a time.  These writers make it harder for themselves, or choose to make things more absurd, figuring that is more entertaining than something more realistic.  

It is a bit refreshing that there is no baby switch.  Two pregnancies at the same time nearly always signaled that.  

• Like 8

Once Ryan, Heather and Esme were found and killed or arrested, there was no reason to keep searching Spoon Island and run into Nik. He has only been dead a day in show time so he wouldn't have started  to smell much yet. Although granted, this is the PCPD.

The cops will probably go back to Spoon Island if there is an arrest warrant for Nik but he no longer lives there as Ava will tell them.

10 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Is Cameron still keeping it secret that he and Joss broke up because she's a cheating cheater who cheats and lies?

Joss asked Cameron not to tell anyone because Sonny will kill Dex if he finds out.

And Cameron, being a better person than I am, is keeping the secret.

• Like 7

I'm kind of okay with Esme's being redeemed, the actress is believable with her sweeter personalty and genuine fear of Ryan and Heather's evil actions.  Esme's now being seen as one of Ryan's victims--it was Ryan who ruined Ava and Nicholas' life and Ryan who destroyed Spencer and his dad's relationship.  Also, Esme and her baby are now being tied to existing families and I'd love to see her and Spencer form a real bond over caring for the baby and if Esme and Trina could become true friends it would be worth it to watch Joss' head explode,

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I will just sigh and live with what feels like a very quick retcon if it turns out that Heather really was The Hook, but it really did seem like she was genuinely surprised when Ryan filled her in on the who/what/wheres of Esme (this was already after some of the attacks, and Esme was Nik's prisoner at the time, IIRC). 

Anyway, the TV guide for the coming week says both that 

Spoiler

Heather has an outburst AND that Dante develops a theory

which makes me think there's still a possibility there's still more to the story. 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, Blackie said:

I thought it looked like the same baby, it is hard to really tell  but the cuteness, the size, the cheapness of GH pointed to same babies for me.

That's what I was thinking as well.  Why go out and hire a second set of twins when you hired the ones that are already playing Amelia.  Put a pink hat on Amelia and a blue one on Ace and you're good to go. 

12 hours ago, nilyank said:
12 hours ago, tessaray said:

Or

Or

Via biology: Michael is Jason's nephew.  Jason is Susan Moore's son.  Susan is Heather's cousin.  Heather is Ace's grandmother.  Four degrees of seperation.  

Michael is the one who's related to 3/4 of the town via biology and adoption (except the Scorpio-Jones trees and now the Robinson-Taggert-Ashford trees).  But I think Ace might have him beat.

Everyone related to Heather (Steven Lars, Franco, Susan Moore--Drew and kids, Jason and kids)

Everyone related to Ryan though he only has Kevin since neither have bio kids as far as we know.  

Everyone related to Nikolas (the Davis coven plus Sam's kids) (Lucky/Lulu and their kids) (Valentin and Charlotte, plus Victor and any other kids he might have floating around out there)

Everyone related to Courtney (Sonny--Michael and his kids, Kristina, Dante and Rocco, Ric and Molly)

Did I miss anyone?!!

edited to add: Martin and Cyrus via Laura 

Edited by perkie1968
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Joss asked Cameron not to tell anyone because Sonny will kill Dex if he finds out.

Which he wouldn't, but do go on with how you are the center of everyone's universe, you hypocritical, insensitive Carly clone.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

I always thought they did a good job with the quantum entanglement of Jason, Drew and Franco, although it might have been subconscious on the writers' parts. Once it was revealed that Franco wasn't a twin, but a second cousin, they didn't mention these ties as much, even though it turned out Franco and the other twin had been "brothers" as toddlers.

• Like 1

If Sonny didn't do anything to Shiloh or Nelle for what they did to Kristina and Michael, he's not doing anything to Dex for fucking Joss. Only in Joss' self-centered view of the world would banging in secret be a worse crime than luring a child into a cult and all the stuff Nelle did. 

Dex's backstory makes no sense. Do private security companies take on commissions to investigate organized crime? I can see them taking on a job where they have to protect someone from organized crime but I do not think they'd be investigating it. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Kim0820 said:

The stuff about the actor being fired makes me think that they were not going to write Nikolas off but then had to change course to write him off for a while.  Naturally he had to "die," not just disappear for a time.  These writers make it harder for themselves, or choose to make things more absurd, figuring that is more entertaining than something more realistic.  

It is a bit refreshing that there is no baby switch.  Two pregnancies at the same time nearly always signaled that.  

Here's my theory. The bald guy-Mason?-witnessed either the "murder" of Nikolas or the movement of the body, and stepped in and has Nikolas secreted somewhere to use as leverage against Ava and Austin. Nikolas can't just disappear, or there's no custody fight. No self respecting soap opera would pass up that dramatic opportunity. I'd like to know what they're putting in the PC water to make two women give birth to four month old babies. I'm also spending way too much time thinking about this. 🤣

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
Just now, Mirabelle said:

If Sonny didn't do anything to Shiloh or Nelle for what they did to Kristina and Michael, he's not doing anything to Dex for fucking Joss. Only in Joss' self-centered view of the world would banging in secret be a worse crime than luring a child into a cult and all the stuff Nelle did. 

I think Joss and Dex are correctly assuming that Sonny would want to have Dex killed for working undercover to set him up, a la Dante. HOWEVER, I think it's also true that if Joss personally asked Sonny to let it go, he would. Not only does Sonny have that "Mike side" now, but he historically has done his best to relent in those situations. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

if there is an arrest warrant for Nik but he no longer lives there as Ava will tell them.

The last time Nik "disapeared" they thought he was dead, out the window on Cassadine island.  But now, they assume that he took off.  Is no one going to wonder why he hasn't used his passport or taken any money out of the bank or am I overthinking this and applying real life logic rather than Jordan is the commisoner logic to it.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, Bunnyto4 said:

Here's my theory. The bald guy-Mason?-witnessed either the "murder" of Nikolas or the movement of the body, and stepped in and has Nikolas secreted somewhere to use as leverage against Ava and Austin. 

Yeah, I've definitely spent too much time wondering whether the Mason phone threat Austin overheard was just a plot device to get him over to the mansion in time to get involved in helping Ava -- or if there's more to come with that, like your theory. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Mirabelle said:

When Sonny eventually does go after Dex for being a snitch, I’m sure Joss will twist herself into a pretzel to say he’s only doing it because Dex was dating her. Tbh, they’re only keeping it a secret because Joss is incapable of dealing with people judging her like she judges everyone else. We saw how she acted with Cam when he found out.

That and a secret relationship kept secret for no reason seem to be the only drama the Carlys can have. See Carly/Drew’s relationship that not a single soul gives a damn about and Michael/Willow keeping their relationship a secret from Chase because apparently he would lose the will to live if he couldn’t be with Willow.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
Just now, ffwbe said:

That and a secret relationship kept secret for no reason seem to be the only drama

Secret relationships are always far more exciting.  Joss just came out of a relationship with the boy next door, literally, who's only excitement was when Heather broke free and showed up for a BLT.  She's going to want to keep this "relationship" on the down low as much as possible to keep the excitement going.  

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think Joss and Dex are correctly assuming that Sonny would want to have Dex killed for working undercover to set him up, a la Dante. HOWEVER, I think it's also true that if Joss personally asked Sonny to let it go, he would. Not only does Sonny have that "Mike side" now, but he historically has done his best to relent in those situations.

It is only when Sonny find out by surprise then he goes half-cocked e.g. wanting to kill Ethan when Kristina was beaten up or when he placed a bomb to kill Johnny when he thought Kristina was involved with him.

Also except for plot armor Sonny would have tried to kill Franco, Peter, Shiloh, Nelle, Valentine, Victor....

• Like 3
11 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

If you're going for the insanity plea, you might as well shoot the whole village.

I hope Heather goes away for a while, because I can use a break. Ally Mills is fine, but her Heather doesn't have the necessary menace that Robin Mattson's did. 

7 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

She's going to want to keep this "relationship" on the down low as much as possible to keep the excitement going.  

Excitement for Joss does not equal excitement for the viewers, alas.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
28 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Everyone related to Ryan though he only has Kevin since neither have bio kids as far as we know.  

It is a miracle that Kevin has been on the show this long and no kids have popped up.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

It is a miracle that Kevin has been on the show this long and no kids have popped up.  

Well on Port Charles the soap, we were introduced to his long lost daughter Livvie Locke who was played by Kelly Monaco.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Heather confessed to all the hookings including Nik's but she was on the prison van back to Darkham before the crash when Nik as attacked.  No way could Heather have done it.  So did the writers forget that or don't care since they need the hooker to be Heather no matter what.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Via biology: Michael is Jason's nephew.  Jason is Susan Moore's son.  Susan is Heather's cousin.  Heather is Ace's grandmother.  Four degrees of seperation.  

But Michael and Jason's connection is thru AJ, and AJ has no bio connection to Susan except that she is his half-brother's mother. So Ace is only loosely connected to the Qs.  

• Like 2
Just now, tessaray said:

But Michael and Jason's connection is thru AJ, and AJ has no bio connection to Susan except that she is his half-brother's mother. So Ace is only loosely connected to the Qs.  

The only Qs that baby related to is Drew, Scout, Danny and Jake. Everyone else is shared relatives but if you use that, you’d find connections between the majority of the town. Also, someone mentioned Courtney and I think they forgot that Nik is the father, not Spencer, so he’s not related to the Corinthii other than the ones who are also Cassadines, which also made me realize how many are in both families. 

• Like 3

Michael and Jason's connection is through Alan who is Jason's father and Michael's grandfather.

But yes Ace will be able to date Amelia since their connection is through Heather and Susan, neither of whom are connected biologically to Michael.

2 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

Dex's backstory makes no sense. Do private security companies take on commissions to investigate organized crime? I can see them taking on a job where they have to protect someone from organized crime but I do not think they'd be investigating it. 

I can see that Michael could go to the agency to hire someone to infiltrate Sonny's organization and bring him down. But in that case, Michael would be paying the security organization, not Dex directly.

2 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think Joss and Dex are correctly assuming that Sonny would want to have Dex killed for working undercover to set him up, a la Dante.

Joss didn't know that Dex was working undercover when she asked everyone to keep her relationship to Dex a secret. Sonny told his employee to stay away from his stepdaughter and from that everyone (meaning Joss and Carly) jumped to "Sonny is going to murder Dex if he finds out".

Edited by statsgirl
comment I was responding to was edited.
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Also, someone mentioned Courtney and I think they forgot that Nik is the father, not Spencer,

You're right.  I was thinking of Courtney being the grandmother since she's Spencer's mother but that's not right.   So there is no connection between Ace and any of the Corinthi (minus Kristina since she's  related via the Cassadines) 

49 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

GH will be on the air 10 days from now so we'll get to see Ace and Amelia's first date.

Ok, who do I have to pay to see a playdate with those two adorable babies!!  (Unless they're played by the same baby actors, then it would just be twins playing!!)

Edited by perkie1968
  • LOL 2