Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It seems significant that Carly brought Drew into the maternity question when it was just a possibility, then lied to him directly when she got the results. Hopefully he'll be pissed at her for at least an episode or two. 

Probably more like a scene, where he'll tell her (insert whatever issue comes up when the truth comes out) could've been avoided had she just told the truth.  Then he'll say he "gets it" and offer her a hug because...Carly.

And, of course, Carly is front and center on the "committee to save Mayor Collins" in the previews for the special episode, because god forbid Carly isn't in every single storyline.

• Love 9

I'm convinced that Frank has a lot of troll in him.  It's his personality; troll.  So the more people complain about Carly being in every story, the more he will find ways to put her in every story.  If everyone said they love Carly and need more Carly, we might get less instead.   Maybe we should start loudly complaining that Liz is on too much.  That could do it. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think LW is a bit delusional about her character, but no one can ever say that she phones it in.

She's playing the game well, as she's always been able to do. LW is a team player to the end.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Desperado said:

Unpopular Opinion 1: Anna is wasted on Valentin.

Unpopular Opinion 2: If Carly needs to be matched with someone, I’d like I to be Valentin to see if it can transform her character for the better. 

1: I wouldn’t call it wasted, since I like Valentin, but I have never been able to get into this pairing. I don’t know why; they just bore me.
2: As others have noted, it will take more than a new love interest to redefine Carly’s character. However, I do think this suggestion is an interesting one and might work— at least until he turns back into the moony-eyed sap who was panting after Anna before she reciprocated.

12 hours ago, Daisy said:

an ultimately. even though he falls on his face doing it [a lot], Spencer is willing to change. Michael. not so much at all. 

Spencer’s also smarter (not saying much), less stubborn (ditto), AND he has more than one facial expression.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

SB ruined the only halfway decent Carly story in years.* We should be in the middle of the messiest business (bidness?) war and personal divorce since Alan dropped a house on Rick and Monica. Instead Britt was dumped for nothing and somehow Nixon Falls is all about Millow now. 

Carly getting busted for insider trading would be soapy, so of course it won't happen.  I'm continually baffled by these writers. Carly is boring and sucks all the oxygen out of any room she's in. (She does have great hair though.) 

* Still grateful he's gone. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

at least until he turns back into the moony-eyed sap who was panting after Anna before she reciprocated.

Or the one who was sappy over Nina and later desperate to get her back.

The worst Valentin is the one who loses his common sense over the woman he wants. And since we know that any man that Carly gets involved with must constantly tell her how great she is while covering up her crimes, it would be the end of Valentin like it is the end of Drew right now. JPS is too good an actor and too charming to be destroyed at the feet of Carly.

14 hours ago, Daisy said:

i figure "the best colleges" kinda include PCU (which again I'll mock), but honestly I'd rather them GO to college. (and then even rapid graduate them) . not finishing (like Michael and I wanna say BLQ?) and even then BLQ is kinda more realistic than Michael, because she knew what she wanted to do - and she was doing it until the contract/throat slash - AND if she stops being a dipstick about it she still has her songwriting to go to fall back on.

I think all the anxiety of "Will I be able to get into PCU?" ridiculous because we know that everyone will get in no matter how badly they did in high school. I will even buy the need to submit a paper to get into a certain program. What I hate is when the rich kids, namely Michael and now Spencer, get handed the keys to the kingdom (CEO of ELQ and Aurora, now wherever Victor wants to put Spencer) without having any qualifications or doing the work. For all that I don't like Joss, at least she didn't finish high school and go straight into a management position in Jax's companies. (I know it's because they wanted to keep the actress on the show and in the teen scene but it worked in her favour.)

3 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

(It would be funny if someone finally uncovered Spencer's ballot shenanigans from his pipsqueak years. But given all the IRL chaos that occurred over similar accusations in the intervening years, I don't think we want that particular current events peanut butter in our entertainment chocolate right now.)

As much as I wanted Spencer to be punished for that as well as other actions, I don't think that the show can or should ever address that again.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I will even buy the need to submit a paper to get into a certain program. What I hate is when the rich kids, namely Michael and now Spencer, get handed the keys to the kingdom (CEO of ELQ and Aurora, now wherever Victor wants to put Spencer) without having any qualifications or doing the work.

to be fair. Victor doesn't want to hand Spencer anything. What he keeps saying is that he wants Spencer to be ready as the Cassadine heir. He has no say in Cassadine Industries (that's Nik and Nik hasn't said a peep about just plopping him at the top and saying "have fun either."), who the hell knows what project Demeter is (no one not even the shadow knows that).  And i don't know what work/qualifications one needs to be a prince of a title that... really doesn't mean anything except to the Cassadines  LOL. 

We don't even know what Spencer wants to do. (other than get his trust fund [has], nail Esme for hurting Trina [on going], repair relationship w/Nik [gonna crash when he learns about the sexy times], and that's it). Like i don't even know if he cares about being the future Prince of Cassadineness. 

as for the whole separate application process for programmes. that is a thing.  i mean. it really just depend on the school and what not, like i know for some concurrent programmes (mostly Ed + Whatever you wanna study). you need to do a lot of extra application work  (it was ages since i remember what it entailed but my roommate had to do it). so esme having to do it to get into the undergrad didn't surprise me. it was more of course this programme is the most renowed in the land. PCU is the Grey Sloan Memorial of education. EVERYTHING is the best.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

(Also also, I am going to say - big UO here, but I don't really mind that Spencer wants to act like an 18 year old who has a big trust fund - as long as they continue to write him as someone who wants to at least be more than a big rich kid with a trust fund. if he's willing to grow and evolve and work hard - then that's okay with me. 98% of the issues i have with Michael being CEO at anything is that he never works. He's never even shown  "doing" work. he always wants to jetset etc. same with Valentin. like Ned Flat out said he's the only one who actually goes and does work.  AND - not only does he not work, he's just instantly good. why is he instantly good? how is he instantly good? i mean again. just show (SHOW) us not tell us. Nicholas and Victoria Newman struggled for YEARS before they were aces at their job. same with Jack Abbot and anyone who works for Jabot or Newman Enterprises). Michael is just a whiz kid and that's what vexes me more than anything else because nothing other than Carly saying how brilliant he is ever showed us he was this business whiz wunderkund)

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Chiming in that I also can’t stand Carly anymore, not even a little bit, but still really like Laura Wright.  She shows up for work each day and she does her job, totally commits, and never sleepwalks through her lines.  I just wish she wasn’t being written as such an irredeemable shrew.

Now as for pairings, well Drew is awful.  Valentin might call her on her shit, but I’m pretty sure he feels she’s beneath him.  He’s too much of gentleman to say that of course, but you know it’s true.  Oh… what about Victor??  That might be fun.  Or maybe that new Dex guy.  She could get all hurt and offended when Sonny, instead of getting jealous is just like eh, they’re happy, what are ya gonna do?  Since he’s all zen(ish) now and shit.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

As much as I wanted Spencer to be punished for that as well as other actions, I don't think that the show can or should ever address that again.

I don't think the show was ever going to return to Spencer's ballot stuffing, and now they really can't, I agree. UGH. That turd needs more than 30 days in baby jail.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Like i don't even know if he cares about being the future Prince of Cassadineness. 

He does only as it pertains to money. Right now his trust fund is separate from everything else, but I'm sure Victor is shoring up the family bank account, which eventually will be Spencer's responsibility/inheritance.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Or the one who was sappy over Nina and later desperate to get her back.

The worst Valentin is the one who loses his common sense over the woman he wants. And since we know that any man that Carly gets involved with must constantly tell her how great she is while covering up her crimes, it would be the end of Valentin like it is the end of Drew right now. JPS is too good an actor and too charming to be destroyed at the feet of Carly.

I think all the anxiety of "Will I be able to get into PCU?" ridiculous because we know that everyone will get in no matter how badly they did in high school. I will even buy the need to submit a paper to get into a certain program. What I hate is when the rich kids, namely Michael and now Spencer, get handed the keys to the kingdom (CEO of ELQ and Aurora, now wherever Victor wants to put Spencer) without having any qualifications or doing the work. For all that I don't like Joss, at least she didn't finish high school and go straight into a management position in Jax's companies. (I know it's because they wanted to keep the actress on the show and in the teen scene but it worked in her favour.)

Victor will want 19 year old Spencer to be an executive Vice President at Cassadine Industries.  By the way, why do big companies in soaps always have to be named after the founding family?  Never anything like Exxon, Apple, Microsoft, 3M, Verizon, etc..

1 minute ago, Suicidy said:

By the way, why do big companies in soaps always have to be named after the founding family?  Never anything like Exxon, Apple, Microsoft, 3M, Verizon, etc..

Likely for copyright/clearance reasons.

24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

He does only as it pertains to money. Right now his trust fund is separate from everything else, but I'm sure Victor is shoring up the family bank account, which eventually will be Spencer's responsibility/inheritance.

Where does that leave Valentin who seems to be working with Victor these days. I'm assuming that he framed Jennifer Smith on his behalf.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think the show was ever going to return to Spencer's ballot stuffing, and now they really can't, I agree. UGH. That turd needs more than 30 days in baby jail.

To be fair, the character is 19.  Most 19 year old guys are into chicks, partying, activities (sports, cycling, outdoors stuff, etc.), and generally having a good time with whatever bandwidth they have left after work and school.

4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Where does that leave Valentin who seems to be working with Victor these days. I'm assuming that he framed Jennifer Smith on his behalf.

I had the impression that Valentine does not trust Victor, which is why he's hidden Charlotte away and has been away, rounding up information. I'm trying to remember the point of his Jennifer Smith scenes -- did he steal the Ice Princess but not know the authorities were after her for Luke? It's all very fuzzy, either because of my memory or because the show is planning to reveal all... in about six months.

• Useful 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Suicidy said:

To be fair, the character is 19.  Most 19 year old guys are into chicks, partying, activities (sports, cycling, outdoors stuff, etc.), and generally having a good time with whatever bandwidth they have left after work and school.

Yeah, Spencer is entitled, but at least he’s entitled in a way that’s consistent with his age. I can handle that. It’s much better than precocious, isn’t-he-cute-acting-like-a-gwown-up entitled little turd Spencer.

Re. Carly love interests: Pickings really are slim, aren’t they? We have
1. Drew (gag- outrivals Millow for bland and boring)
2. Valentin (maybe, but he’s with Anna)
3. Austin (no, been there/done that with Franco, and personalities don’t even semi-mesh)
4. Finn (can you imagine? Good, because I don’t want to)
5. Cody (already targeted for Britt, and also, yuck)
6. Nikolas (nope, related)
7. Curtis (not gonna happen)
8. Taggert (too much bad blood)
9. Victor (actually makes sense…hmm)
10. Sonny (you know we’re getting back there eventually, but not now)

I would put her with one of the V-Cassadines, but the show doesn’t seem to be going in that direction. So unless she explores her sapphic side, or the show brings in yet another new male character, it’s going to be Drew. Yawn, snore, and ptui. Wake me when it’s over.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

6. Nikolas (nope, related)
7. Curtis (not gonna happen)

Not by blood, is he? Connected by marriage is nothing on this show. Though Curtis might be fun, mainly because he already annoys me. 

I vote for a recast Jax.

• Love 2

As much as I want Carly to to get punished for her actions, at the same time I don't want it because it would lead to more Carly screen time. Same with the rest of their clan, punish--yes! More screen time-NO!!!

I loved Monday's episode so much because not once did I need to fast forward. Characters I like we're talking about things I'm interested in, such a radical concept. I'm sure I'll be punished soon with endless Carly/Drew, Millow, Hatman, Nina/Sonny, Linc, Cody, Spinelli etc. But I can always look back on a special day when my soap was irritant free.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Not by blood, is he? Connected by marriage is nothing on this show. 

Oh, I guess you’re right. Honestly, I think I need a flow chart to keep track of the relationships on this show. I can never keep it straight.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

And, of course, Carly is front and center on the "committee to save Mayor Collins" in the previews for the special episode, because god forbid Carly isn't in every single storyline.

Just the optics Mayor Collins needs, a longtime mob moll slash interim mob queen on her side! #eyeroll

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I had the impression that Valentine does not trust Victor, which is why he's hidden Charlotte away and has been away, rounding up information. I'm trying to remember the point of his Jennifer Smith scenes -- did he steal the Ice Princess but not know the authorities were after her for Luke? It's all very fuzzy, either because of my memory or because the show is planning to reveal all... in about six months.

The first part, I agree with you. Especially after Valentin was drugged and dumped in a dumpster over the Peter stuff. Speaking of which, Drew's storyline with Victor seems to have been stalled as well. 

Circling back to Valentin, he planted the ice princess in Jennifer Smith's room, then she got arrested and the ice princess was used against her as proof that she had something to do with Luke's death IIRC, which then would have deflected the attention away from Victor.

There was that whole trip that Anna and Felicia took to Europe and that dude who swallowed a pill of cyanide and talked about some cause or something. 

I can't believe they expect us to remember this stuff months later. I'm pretty sure I have half of this wrong.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

3. Austin (no, been there/done that with Franco, and personalities don’t even semi-mesh)

If they would have brought back RoHo as Dr Stephen Lars;

we would still have a Dr

Liz would have some family support

Carly and Dr Webber had a brief flirtation at one point didn't they, plus I think RoHO and LW were good together, not the Franco RoHo but before that (Todd?)

We wouldn't have to suffer with Austin and Maxie

and there wouldn't be the wasted Q storyline, They could have brought back Dillon and maybe he and Maxie could have got together

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 6/21/2022 at 10:41 AM, Auntie Velvet said:

(It would be funny if someone finally uncovered Spencer's ballot shenanigans from his pipsqueak years. But given all the IRL chaos that occurred over similar accusations in the intervening years, I don't think we want that particular current events peanut butter in our entertainment chocolate right now.)

I do. Maybe she keeps it private in order to protect Spencer and guilt for not raising him better. Keep it at the end of her mayoral term when she gets another competitor. Bring back Lomax. To bad Saidah Ekulona (but good for her)  is busy with A League of Their  Own because I liked her, she had more energy than Shari Belafonte. Heck, they went to to trouble of getting Shari Belafonte, maybe bring her back. Having a Stacy Abrams type character wouldn't be terrible.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

The first part, I agree with you. Especially after Valentin was drugged and dumped in a dumpster over the Peter stuff. Speaking of which, Drew's storyline with Victor seems to have been stalled as well. 

Circling back to Valentin, he planted the ice princess in Jennifer Smith's room, then she got arrested and the ice princess was used against her as proof that she had something to do with Luke's death IIRC, which then would have deflected the attention away from Victor.

There was that whole trip that Anna and Felicia took to Europe and that dude who swallowed a pill of cyanide and talked about some cause or something. 

I can't believe they expect us to remember this stuff months later. I'm pretty sure I have half of this wrong.

I'll give the show this -- it's hard to keep talking about the project if both the father and son actors are on leave for different reasons. But it's clearly going to be a climate control thing, so you could have had Laura or someone looking into either what Victor's been up to, or why it got so damn hot last winter.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Except Lomax was also the mayor who tried to ban breast-feeding in public, and we had that inane story for too long. This show is terrible enough without adding in social-issue stories.

If she is like any politician, she will flip flop and come up with some bullshit excuse for it. 

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

9. Victor (actually makes sense…hmm)

Victor might finally be someone who doesn't constantly tell Carly how wonderful she is and prop her worst impulses.

But what would Victor see in her? After the style of Helena and moving in the first circles of wealth and sophistication,, what would attract him to Carly? There seemed to be a spark of interest on Victor's part in Ava but Ava is sharp and moves in international art circles.  Carly is someone who got where she is by marrying up.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

But what would Victor see in her? After the style of Helena and moving in the first circles of wealth and sophistication,, what would attract him to Carly?

Nothing. Carly is straight up trash.

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1

News Article saying how PC has a lot of crime, strife etc and Laura does nothing about it.  - true. 

Everyone says that it sucks.  - well no. she's too busy kissing boots of the mob to actually stop it. lol

why is Carly there? geeze "Im not known for being tactful, but i can do it on a special occasions." NO YOU CAN'T.  And she waltz into Monicas house, calls them all that has no honour and claps Ned about being the one trying to recall Laura. geeze I hate this woman. And now she's wearing an ELQ baseball cap. ...unamused

Lisel and Scotty are awesome.

i was expecting more flashbacks and stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Wow Cyrus PREACH!

(most he said was not wrong)

Genie looked absolutely stunning in the first scene.

BTW did I miss something or was that random that Sonny and Violet at the hospital.

wardrobe alert: in mid winter everyone walks around in summer wear and on  a "beautiful summer day" everyone is wearing long sleeve sweatshirts  for the ball game

Too bad Cam wasn't there for his grandmother today, but I guess he isn't on contract.

It was great to see the old scenes, I guess those were the only ones with current actors. I did laugh at Scotty walking in to a room with 3 of his exes and his current girl friend. Felicia thought it was pretty funny too.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I’m disappointed. I wanted a Laura/Genie centric episode but that was a GH patting itself on the back episode. I’m sure it must’ve been incredibly hard to coordinate (Genie said her scenes were filmed all in one day), but the result… meh.

The GF/JK scene was great, but why no flashback scenes with Anna and Robert,  Kevin and/or Liz. Maybe a scene when Nikolas was a dying baby? Something to show the character over the years, even if it was a scene with MB.

Why the scene with Liz and Maxie and Finn and poison ivy?? And Scotty’s proposal?

And surely we could’ve had another pretext for the whole gang being there than a softball game?? 

I’m sorry I took the time to watch this live.

• Like 3
  • Love 7

Appreciate that they tried to make this an ensemble thing with Laura at the center of it. But I was expecting better, I guess?

And yes, I know it's a tall order for these writers.

The final scene at Charlie's looked like a bunch of friends having a good time together, which was nice.

But it was an all around underwhelming episode. JK's talents were 100% wasted on the show and I don't know why he keeps coming back.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

JK's talents were 100% wasted on the show and I don't know why he keeps coming back.

He said in interviews he really enjoyed his experience on the show and especially working with GF. He gave enough details that it was easy to see he meant it. I’m not surprised he wanted to participate. Their work was the highlight of the episode for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I was expecting a Laura-centric episode from the p.r. but I guess that for the 15,000th one, they made it a Port Charles-centric one.

All in all, not bad. They managed to squeeze most of the cast in, even Elizabeth.Some very nice scenes (the opening with everyone coming together to help Laura, the flashbacks (wow GF and KS were young), Laura and the Cassadines (where was Valentin?), Scot proposing, Kevin supporting Laura, and the last group scene at Charlie's. Worst scene was Carly storming into the Quartermaine house demanding Ned fess up.

JK tearing up when Laura told Cyrus she forgave him was 💯

If Bobbie thought that she was signing a "Save the whales" petition and it was stolen for the anti-Laura petition, doesn't that invalidate the whole thing?

35 minutes ago, Blackie said:

BTW did I miss something or was that random that Sonny and Violet at the hospital.

Violet was there because she got into  patch of poison oak camping. Sonny was there because he overdid it boxing.

And here is where I roll my eyes at this geriatric softball gang. I can see Felicia and Anna still able to hit and run the bases, but some of the other older people? Nope. And why didn't they make Epiphany the ref instead of a player? On the field, fiftysomething diabetic Pip is a heart attack waiting to happen. They need to stop pretending that Epiphany is decades younger than she is.

18 minutes ago, Desperado said:

And surely we could’ve had another pretext for the whole gang being there than a softball game??

It was a fund raiser for the Stone Cates AIDS wing. I guess this replaced the Nurses Ball.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I can’t understand why Laura kicked Mac out of that group meeting but not Robert. He is the DA after all and the meeting was political not criminal

Because the District Attorney is a political job-one is elected as the DA. It’s the ADAs who apply for the job to work in the DA’s office.

Probably an unpopular opinion (I don’t care), but there should have been clips with LUKE. He was a HUGE part of Laura’s life, as well as Lucky and Lulu-you know, her children.

But Frank is a passive aggressive cheap ass bastard.

• Love 9

I am like way behind and not avoiding this board, but also not reading everything, and I was pretty shocked to find out Michael hired Dex to infiltrate Sonny.  I don't know that I necessarily care, but if Michael is going to do this, nice that he's actually putting in some effort.

This was kind of a weird episode. They made it sound like Laura’s life was in danger but it was just about an op-ed saying to recall her as mayor. Everybody seemed to be overreacting to me, though it’s possible I missed something

As for DVRs missing shows due to preemptions, I ended up setting my season pass to catch repeats as well so we’ll see if that helps

• Like 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Hater said:

Were Lucky or Lulu mentioned at all?

Maxie went with Laura to visit Elizabeth, saying that while she and Liz don't get along, she went because Lulu couldn't. But Liz remained prickly with her through the visit. No mention of Lucky.

I forgot to mention above that I appreciated the business that when Scott went down on one knee, Lucy helped him up. Yay for playing one's age.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Baron Shaughnessy’s hip surgery may have created some short term plotting problems for the writers.

11 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t think Sam or Carly fit in this episode but other than that, it was cute. 

No, especially since the mystery who wrote the oped was solved within two segments, by Sonny and Ms. Wu.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Suicidy said:

Baron Shaughnessy’s hip surgery may have created some short term plotting problems for the writers.

Why do they replace some actors and not others?  Case in point, NLG.