Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

For the first couple of weeks after the new writers took over, I was optimistic and engaged. Then... I don't know what happened, but I'm so bored!  I just don't care about any of these storylines. It's all a big yawn.

Meanwhile, I'm team Molly & TJ with this surrogacy nonsense. I totally get why they're so concerned about Kristina's emotional state, thanks to here less than reliable history.  But that said, I don't really care about this either. It's all clearly going to end up with Kristina trying to keep the baby. Yawn.

• Like 4

I've fallen a day behind, so the most recent episode I've watched is the Friday one. 

Seeing Jason and Sonny in the same scene (which has only happened a few times since Burton's return) is depressing, because their scenes are the same as they ever were. Except for changes to both guys' appearance to give away that it's 2024, I could be watching an episode from 20-25 years ago. Those two characters never grow. I know, one of them has permanent brain damage and the other one has a chronic condition he has to manage, but still.

They're at odds now, but it isn't as though that's much of a novelty. Bob Guza had them at each other's throats over Jason's relationship with Courtney and Sonny's with Emily, respectively. We were hearing about bipolar disorder and medications back then too.

Everyone else who goes back decades on GH has grown. Alexis is investigating a return to the law, but she's had a lot of ups and downs in the intervening years and has surprised us once in a while. Liz isn't the same person she was in 2004. Neither is Maxie. Neither is Sam. Neither is Tracy. Neither is Laura. I loathe Carly, but she hasn't completely stood still over 20 years, and it isn't solely because she's been played by three actresses in that time.

All of these characters have traits that have stayed consistent, but they've learned lessons and tried things. They're all reasonably dynamic characters. Jason and Sonny are static.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, norahs99 said:

Meanwhile, I'm team Molly & TJ with this surrogacy nonsense. I totally get why they're so concerned about Kristina's emotional state, thanks to here less than reliable history. 

And I can also see Blaze's mom's concern, although it has nothing to do with being a gay couple.  I would be concerned about any new couple with one being a surrogate (esp for a family member) without extensive counselling. It could be too easy to get into the "playing family" mode.

• Like 1

I will never be Team Molly/TJ for the surrogate because a) they never had an honest conversation with themselves or Kristina about what using a family member as the surrogate could mean for them and the baby; b) their requirements are awfully restrictive; and c) they treat Kristina like absolute crap, automatically assuming the worst in every situation.

No wonder Kristina is avoiding their phone calls and keeping them out of medical appointments.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

Both of my parents were cremated, and we spread their ashes in the lake across the street from our house (along with the ashes of our soul dog; all probably illegally, whoops). I don't live in my hometown anymore, so it doesn't make any difference if they had graves. I kind of get where Chase is coming from, but he's talking about the physical remains of Gregory. The memories are what matter, IMO. I do like that BL is being supportive toward Chase but is also gently being the voice of reason and not letting him spiral.

LOL that Anna needed to explain to Jason why Valentin might want him dead. Yes, it's certainly a stumper.

Everything Wagger said to Sonny about Jason was correct, but I wish it hadn't been in the context of Wagger thinking he'll be Sonny in prison anytime soon.

• Like 3
On 6/2/2024 at 6:14 PM, JMO said:
On 6/1/2024 at 4:27 PM, YaddaYadda said:

I feel like Laura is doing this because she has no family left outside of Ace.

She still has a husband.  And I would like to see more of him, especially in this storyline

She also has 2 other grandkids - Rocco and Charlotte (though Charlotte comes with a whole other set of issues....)  But, Rocco is local and an easy enough kid.

• Like 2
On 6/3/2024 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

I know Diane loves money, but she's supposed to have strong legal ethics,

I never saw her that way - she lives in the gray area....

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

She also has 2 other grandkids - Rocco and Charlotte (though Charlotte comes with a whole other set of issues....)  But, Rocco is local and an easy enough kid.

Charlotte is at boarding school in Europe and Rocco is a non entity, plus he still has one parent, so Laura is not required. I mean Sam had to ask Laura to go see her grandson after Dante was shot.

30 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:
On 6/3/2024 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

I know Diane loves money, but she's supposed to have strong legal ethics,

I never saw her that way - she lives in the gray area....

I see her as willing to use every trick in the book, but she won't do anything illegal, like suborn perjury or hold back evidence.

• Like 1

🙄 Is this where they start to turn John into the loser law eforcement agent who  gets everything wrong?

Why is Jason trusting his freedom to a woman who breaks down more than Holly Hunter in Broadcast News?!

I am so very tired of BLQ and Chase and their Couch Of Deep Thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Finn walking with his father's cane had me in tears. ME is bringing his best to this storyline. 

While I understand Elizabeth's concerns, could her question, "Do you want me to stay?" have been more lukewarm?

• Like 3

Good Grief. Has Diane started taking stupid pills now? Law enforcement does NOT NEED PROOF when arresting suspects or people they believe have committed crimes-of they have evidence that is probable, they get a warrant and arrest. It’s called Probable Cause.

What Diane was smugly spouting is what is needed in court. Innocent until Proven Guilty doesn’t mean Jagger or the PCPD (HAH!) can’t arrest someone they suspect.

And I just 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂 at Mooby saying JAGGER!”” as if it’s some insult to Jagger. I loved and will continue to love all his truth bombs he levies on Mooby forever and ever. I especially loved that he told Mooby he turned a brain damaged Jason into a killer and his enforcer. And I cackled at the look of rage on Mooby’s face as Jagger left.

What the FUCK is WRONG with Anna?! ROBERT is who should be her back up in her FUCKED UP plan. No way THIS version of Anna can get any proof against Valentin. I hate Show for making me be on Jaysus’s side here. Refusing to file assault and attempted murder charges against Mooby because he won’t do enough time; don’t go after Valentin because you won’t find the proof like I can. Riiiiight.

Robert SERIOUSLY needs to be here to give Anna a reality check and get someone to actually do the job of police commissioner since all she can do is cry and confide in a mob hit man, instead of working with Jagger.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I wonder about Anna's special access by being invited into Valentin's house. Does she think he has hidden Pikeman secrets in his sock drawer?

• LOL 4
(edited)

The apartment buildings outside Finn's window returned.  Last week, there was a water tower.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 21-43-56 General Hospital 6-4-24 FULL NEW 720HD ABC GH - General Hospital 4th June 2024 - video Dailymotion.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 21-41-15 General Hospital 06-3-2024 FULL NEW 720HD ABC GH - General Hospital 3th June 2024 - video Dailymotion.jpg

Edited by ciarra
  • LOL 11

Of course Carly's first reaction to why a person would run for Congress is "power, money and influence."   And Drew says he's doing it partly for his family.  Yeah, so he can be away from Scout even more than ever.

We got a big box of my mother's ashes to scatter but also 3 smaller pretty urns for each of us kids.

And I didn't know "clipboard guy" was a job title.  How do I apply?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, graight said:

Of course Carly's first reaction to why a person would run for Congress is "power, money and influence."   

Now I'm imagining Carly herself as a member of Congress, testifying in an ethics inquiry. "I didn't even benefit from that influence-peddling!" 

• LOL 10

You know for all their talk about Diane being the most amazing lawyer ever, whenever they show her lawyering, she comes off like just as big a clownish, ambulance chaser as Scott. The transitive property of Sonny, Jason and Carly’s massive plot armor where they never pay despite being obviously guilty does the heavy lifting for Diane since those are her main clients. 

• Like 7
11 hours ago, tessabq said:

I wonder about Anna's special access by being invited into Valentin's house. Does she think he has hidden Pikeman secrets in his sock drawer?

Anna has been so dumbed down that this is entirely possible. And Valentin has been so stupid he probably has the envelope marked "Secret Info: Do Not Read."

• LOL 16

The cover for the program for Gregory's memorial was kind of tacky. But it was a nice, realistic touch to show the guy picking up the medical equipment he used. 

I liked Tracy's remembrance, but of course you can miss what you don't have. You don't miss what you don't want. They whiffed that and should have left things at "make your own opportunities."

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Ugh I liked Finn's dialogue yesterday about not being an alcoholic so I was bummed that they had him doing shots today. Yes lying and drinking are what alcoholics do, but I don't believe he is an alcoholic just because he had a drug problem before. Not interested in that story.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

With all due respect to Gregory, whom I liked as a character, I had to FF the crap out of today's episode. Between his service and after service, Blaze's song emoting, and Kristina and Molly talking in circles again, I had to eat some ginger cubes to stay awake! Plus, I am still pissed that Alan didn't get a fraction of the post mortal attention that Gregory is getting.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

I feel like the last few weeks have been a taunting FU to those of us who have complained that the writers never let scenes breathe or that they rarely play out the beats of stories. Be careful what you ask for, I guess. 

• Like 2
(edited)

There was something nice about the intimacy of Gregory's funeral, but I did have to wonder why Ned, Lois and Olivia weren't there to support their daughter and brand new son-in-law, and Tracy.  Each character's words were appropriate to both them and their relationship with Gregory.  Kind of felt bad for Jake and Aiden, who were clearly there to be seen and not heard.  Not the most amazing funeral, but....nice, like Gregory.  I will greatly miss his relationships with Alexis and Tracy, and the sides of their characters that he brought out so well.

The rest was a snooze.  

Edited by JMO
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I have a feeling (as probably a few of you do) that Kristina is going to end up wanting to keep the baby and I don’t think TJ and Molly made a legal contract to keep that from happening, which was Alexis’ nightmare scenario

Gregory’s memorial was really nice and heartfelt

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The beginning with the montage funeral. Chase not leaving the ashes in the car, Violet kissing the box was well done.

Interesting they brought out Jake for Gregory funeral but not his the wedding of the year when she's his cousin. 

• Love 1

I thought Gregory’s funeral would be off screen. It seems to me GH has had too many character and actor deaths over the last years, it must be hard on the cast.

Where’s the pool and the fun?

I recently saw a mention that said GH was turning UK soap type tragic and I agree.

• Like 1

While I adore Gonzo-Gregory Harrison, I, too, got bitter that Alan wasn't given the same amount of time when Guzarsehole killed Alan off-and Stuart was still with us. Just as Gregory is. And sorry, but Alan had been a staple of this show for over 30 years; Sonia almost as long and she got gypped as well.

So, after promising Elizabeth and swearing he was going to drink no more, we get a scene of Finn, downing shots, one at a time. I guess I should be grateful it was Chase that saw him and not Elizabeth. Because I'm not seeing any warmth from her end toward Finn, and for someone who says she loves him, it's been lacking. As others have also stated, Alexis has shown much more warmth and support. And yes, I remember what she went through with Lucky's addiction, but the two relationships are different.

If I had watched this show for the first time yesterday, I never would have guessed that Kristina and Molly were sisters. Such...again, lack of warmth between these two. And Molly doesn't even attempt to ask how the baby is? If she can put her hand on Kristina's belly to feel the baby? No interest whatsoever. But from the last lines, did they all agree Kristina would be part of the baby's life? Either way, I see another custody fight looming.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

Interesting they brought out Jake for Gregory funeral but not his the wedding of the year when she's his cousin. 

I'm not sure Jake has ever met/shared a scene with BLQ. The only time I've ever seen HW's Jake with multiple Quartermaine family members was for Scout's birthday party. BLQ was not there.  However, it's well-established that Violet has spent a significant amount of time with her cousins at Elizabeth's house and that Elizabeth and her sons have spent a lot of time with Finn and Violet to do family things like have dinner together. Gregory attended Spencer's funeral/memorial with Finn, to be a support to Jake's elder brother Cam, and Elizabeth and his own friend Alexis as well. 

I also remember Jake and Violet talking to each other at a table in Kelly's (now Bobbie's) and Willow talking Violet out of interrupting Jake and Charlotte's date at Charlie's. It makes sense to me that Jake and Aiden would both accompany their mother to her niece/their cousin Violet's grandpa's funeral/memorial. 

• Like 2

Oh, and just a leeeetle nitpicky thing from last week:

If a lawyer comes to the police station, to see/speak with their client, the cop has to let them. That stupid line day player uniform telling Anna that he "couldn't stop her"  from coming in-her being Diane, to see Jason, was so eyeroll worthy. If it had been Cujo demanding to see him, and stomping through, I could understand. But not when it's the guy's lawyer.

Same with Jagger. Dude! If Diane wants to talk with her client, Mooby, they both have that right, even if it wasn't at the PCPD. And you had every right to take his self-pitying, raging ass down for questioning without all of your evidence. You had enough for probable cause.

And then I noticed yesterday, that Korte's name showed up above Mulcahey's, when it's been the opposite ever since he took over.  Grrrr.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Jake and Aiden being at the funeral sort of makes sense but they get left out of funerals of people they are much closer to all of the time. Aiden had 2 actual relatives die this year and wasn’t at either funeral. Seems to me that they were only there because Gregory wasn’t a long term character and only had ties to a few people so they needed extras to fill out the room. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Jake and Aiden being at the funeral sort of makes sense but they get left out of funerals of people they are much closer to all of the time. Aiden had 2 actual relatives die this year and wasn’t at either funeral. Seems to me that they were only there because Gregory wasn’t a long term character and only had ties to a few people so they needed extras to fill out the room. 

It's true that Bobbie was his great aunt and Spencer was his cousin. Yet the audience never actually saw Aiden with Bobbie. Aiden has never mentioned "Aunt Bobbie" and Elizabeth would reference that Bobbie was babysitting the boys for the night, but Bobbie was never seen them dropping them off atX Elizabeth's, leaving hospital day care with them, etc. Baby Aiden was in a scene or two with little NB-Spencer, but SORAS-ed Spencer never was. Once NAC took over the role, Spencer would refer to Elizabeth as "Cam's mom" and "practically family" but never acknowledged his cousin Aiden directly. That is weird considering that when he was a boy, he thought Aiden was his brother for X number of months. 

I figured the writers forgot that Aiden is/was related to Bobbie and Spencer.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I asked for the pool and got the pool - yeah!

All that’s missing is the fun.

To paraphrase Meatloaf, "One outta two ain't bad," these days on GH. 

• LOL 4
22 hours ago, Blackie said:

Ugh I liked Finn's dialogue yesterday about not being an alcoholic so I was bummed that they had him doing shots today. Yes lying and drinking are what alcoholics do, but I don't believe he is an alcoholic just because he had a drug problem before. Not interested in that story.

Even if Finn isn't an alcoholic, as a doctor he should be aware that after not drinking for a while, alcohol will hit him harder than it did before. He did have that sip of champagne and at least one drink of bourbon (?) but doing shots like they showed is bound to make him buzzed. He shouldn't be driving or taking care of Violet at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

So Trina sees Gio coming out of the pool and her mind immediately goes back to Spencer. I can understand that. The kid is cute and seems like a decent actor so I won’t be mad if that was a chem test. Just as long as it doesn’t end up a triangle because Joss does NOT need another man fawning over her.

not sure I get Chase’s anger toward Finn. Hurt, sure. Disappointed absolutely. But just because the guy slipped isn’t a reason to be angry. Especially since he wasn’t even around when Finn was hooked on drugs in the past. I’d expect him to be more understanding and want to help.  Brook Lynn’s reaction is what I expect from Chase. 

I like TAWP violet and she can act when they write her as her age instead of like a 5 year old. I still don’t need the show to revolve around her. She was good with both Finn and Maxie today. 

Surprisingly, I didn’t even mind Spinelli today. There was no childish from him, no nicknames. Just actual adult behavior.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Even if Finn isn't an alcoholic, as a doctor he should be aware that after not drinking for a while, alcohol will hit him harder than it did before. He did have that sip of champagne and at least one drink of bourbon (?) but doing shots like they showed is bound to make him buzzed. He shouldn't be driving or taking care of Violet at this point. 

Besides that, I’ve read several times that an addict who has stopped using might be advised or themselves decide to refrain from an addictive substance they haven’t misused before because of the existing addictive behavior that might happen with that substance

https://www.gatewayfoundation.org/addiction-blog/substitute-addictions/

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Desperado said:

I asked for the pool and got the pool - yeah!

All that’s missing is the fun.

If Lifeguard Joss continues to sit and chat with people with her back to the pool, I imagine something will happen . . . 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

That was a nice chem test, and I could get into a little Trina/Gio romance this summer.  I find that I like Trina better away from Spencer, and she has really grown on me as one of the better formed characters, with her consistent interest in and talent for art, her growing maturity and the wisdom she's gained from tragedy.  She's much more specifically formed than Joss at this point, which is a big reason why I like her.

This whole Finn relapsing storyline feels like an exit ramp.  If it had been a planned arc, we'd have had more overt connection of the precipitating stressors, like his malpractice suit, the gradual debilitation of his father, the changes within his home.  We'd have had a focus on his relationship with Elizabeth, and we'd be seeing more of her distress over his relapse, and even some overt connecting of the dots within her past that have made her withdraw.  Instead, the casual viewer is left to wonder why Elizabeth is in Finn's life at all, let alone why she's pulling away from him.  

This is a soap, guys.  People tune in and out.  Don't make the watchers dot all of the 'i's and cross all of the 't's.  Pick a story, build it slowly so that we will invest emotion when it reaches its fruition.  But don't make us do all of the work.

• Like 4

I'm so tired of GH trying to make singers happen. I don't care how good their voices are (or aren't).

My dad died unexpectedly when he and my mom were on vacation, and it took her five months to even open his suitcase and empty it. It took her a few months more to go through his closet and drawers.

1 minute ago, JMO said:

I like Trina better away from Spencer

Same. IMO she subordinated herself too much to him, despite her occasional attempts to assert herself. I know she's young and he was her first big love, and you have to figure out how to be in a relationship, so I can cut her some slack. I think the writing for Spencer was fault, as he continually downplayed her ambitions, despite his lip service to the contrary.

47 minutes ago, rur said:

If Lifeguard Joss continues to sit and chat with people with her back to the pool,

But she was on a break! (LOL, she actually said that.)

I like how Maxie talked to Violet (and I agree with @Sake614 that she's much better when they write to her actual age). It was truthful and respectful.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
1 hour ago, rur said:

If Lifeguard Joss continues to sit and chat with people with her back to the pool, I imagine something will happen . . . 

Well, if someone starts to drown, they can always tell them to stand up.

spacer.png

• LOL 12

Wow, Joss was so over the top telling Gio he was basically the greatest violinist who ever played and he should be performing at Carnegie Hall. He played a nice, but simple piece at a wedding girl, keep it in your pants. 🙄 No way will they allow Trina to beat out Carls Jr. for this guy. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

No way will they allow Trina to beat out Carls Jr. for this guy. 

Probably not. Because she's a Carly. But I thought he and Trina did have good chemistry from their little interaction. 

And this guy is a crazy talented violinist. 

• Like 5

Olivia made Gio actually interview for a job and he's on probation.  Joss probably got her lifeguard swimsuit designed specifically for her from a contact Carly kept from her one-month stint at Crimson.  One of these things is not like the other.  /that was a cute swimsuit/uniform, though.

Gee, do you think Finn is using alcohol as a coping mechanism to deal with Gregory's death?  The writers are being so subtle about  it. /sarcasm

• Like 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, Joss was so over the top telling Gio he was basically the greatest violinist who ever played and he should be performing at Carnegie Hall. He played a nice, but simple piece at a wedding girl, keep it in your pants. 🙄

That's probably a wink because Gio played Madison Square Garden IRL. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, Joss was so over the top telling Gio he was basically the greatest violinist who ever played and he should be performing at Carnegie Hall. He played a nice, but simple piece at a wedding girl, keep it in your pants. 🙄 No way will they allow Trina to beat out Carls Jr. for this guy. 

I thought the flirty scenes were clearly the start of a Joss-Gio-Trina love triangle, esp. since Joss 'isn't sure' she wants to get back together with Dex. This guy Gio's smile does remind me of how Spencer would grin at Mikayla's Trina. But Joss bringing up Tracy irritated me because she barely knows Tracy!

The scenes involving Maxie, Finn, Chase, BLQ and the kids were all well done. It's also amazing how much the now-tween actress who plays Georgie looks like the late Georgie Jones!! I was actually impressed by both the lines for Violet and how a child actress was able to convey that something is wrong with dad, but she can't quite understand and explain what's going on with him.

It was a good episode to watch because as far as I'm concerned, a day that does not involve Carly, Sonny, Jason, Sam, Drew, Molly and TJ, Michael and Willow, and this version of Anna is a win! 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2