Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Losing Jason means nothing when everyone knows it’s temporary

(The characters in the show don't know that.) For me, Carly losing Jason isn't that tragic because the rest of the town lost him as well. Carly isn't the only one deeply affected, whereas losing the MetroCourt is specific to her.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

(The characters in the show don't know that.) For me, Carly losing Jason isn't that tragic because the rest of the town lost him as well. Carly isn't the only one deeply affected, whereas losing the MetroCourt is specific to her.

which doesn't matter because the entire town was prepared to buy it back.  i feeel when people [not us] here "lose" they think okay. yeah like. she lost Sonny, or she lost the hotel. but I know for me I mean like fundamentally lose. like. at the wedding when Jason set off the bomb? Josslyn shoulda been killed (or she shoulda been harmed by that mobster or something). Willow and Michael should hate Carly for hiding something that big from them. Drew should have  cut her out when he found out she lied. and that loss should last for years. and completely change the dynamic of the relationship. I don't think Carly's ever suffered that kind of loss (and I am including Morgan in this because before that, even michael being shot in his damned fat head should have been her come to jesus moment and nope. nada. just #teammob) and everyone lurrves me

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

"I know you're not just here for Donna." That made me LOL.  How right you are - it's your other ex-husband who has a history of being a devoted dad to your elder daughter. What a shit that he couldn't even be bothered to say good-bye to his little girl.  She was riding by herself, not going to get distracted from "having too much fun."  Referring to Jagger/John as a "punk with a badge" - also shows the real Sonny. 

The use of flashback of Rena Sofer as Lois with Lila about the wedding dress was well done. Also Jane Elliot showing Tracy trying to cover her pain as she acknowledged that she had rejected her mother's wedding dress when offered. 

Karen's grave used as a plot device to revisit the Jagger/Karen/Sonny history with Scott would be more meaningful if the actor at least resembled OG Jagger. 

Good lord Joss is insufferable. And having sex five minutes after you find him when you've been apart such a short time, is not convincing of great love. There is nothing romantic about these two. 

Hey @GHScorpiosRule Today's episode was unusual in that there were Robin (via Maxie), Ric, and Karen mentions.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3

I find fights surrounding pre-nups to be antiquated. It doesn’t mean you are assuming that you’ll get divorced or that you think your spouse only wants you for your money.  But it’s all for naught since I’m sure we’ll get an eye roll inducing speech from BL tomorrow about how she’d never ask for one because they are soulmates and Tracy will get shamed for being the only practical one in the room. 

• Like 5

I have no patience for Wagger (White Jagger), his Manson eyes and his weak attempts thus far to talk about Karen, Stone, etc. I do hope the dialogue is sharp again as it was for a fair portion of yesterday's segments.

• LOL 8
On 2/26/2024 at 12:07 PM, Desperado said:

MW looked amazing in that red coat and so did CW in her black dress. Ava, Nina, and Sonny acting like characters in a YA novel though - really not my cup of tea.

It’s nice to see Eva LaRue back on screen, but I think I’m going to have a hard time with her character.

CW should continue to wear her hair up like she did last week.  She has the neck, jawline and cheekbones to pull it off.  And I always appreciate a woman with an exquisite jawline and good cheekbones.

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Hey @GHScorpiosRule Today's episode was unusual in that there were Robin (via Maxie), Ric, and Karen mentions.

So I can take a break from my rewatch of Murder, She Wrote (a LOT of GH and other soap veterans who appeared; but Genie was Jessica's Niece!) just to get my crumbs, eh? Ayah.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ugh, Dex. I knew he wasn't gone for good, but he could have been absent longer. Like months and years longer. LOL at how easily Joss found him. 

It was fun to watch Michael scramble to explain to Dante how he didn't go through with turning Sonny in, as if that mattered to Sonny.

5 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Jane Elliot showing Tracy trying to cover her pain as she acknowledged that she had rejected her mother's wedding dress when offered. 

I'm glad they had the line that Lila knew her dress wasn't right for Tracy, because I think it's really unfair to guilt Tracy about that. A bride should be able to wear the dress she wants, not one she feels obligated to wear.

That first dress BL tried on was dowdy, I thought.

1 minute ago, ffwbe said:

I find fights surrounding pre-nups to be antiquated. It doesn’t mean you are assuming that you’ll get divorced or that you think your spouse only wants you for your money.

Same. As long as both parties are treated fairly (which doesn't necessarily mean equally), what's the big deal? It's protection for everyone and can save some grief later on. Why is that so offensive? Besides, prenups can always be renegotiated if/when circumstances change. But this show loves its antiquated/lazy ideas.

My Spectrum service has been very spotty for the past two days, so I couldn't watch a lot of the episode, but from what I did see, I didn't miss much.

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I can take a break from my rewatch of Murder, She Wrote (a LOT of GH and other soap veterans who appeared; but Genie was Jessica's Niece!) just to get my crumbs, eh? Ayah.

Yes. The wedding dress scene(s) involving Tracy, Lois, Maxie and BL were well done, connecting the show's history to the present at a time when OG Lois is part of the cast and Tracy has returned (again). The flashback with Sofer's Lois and Lila took me by surprise in a good way. And not a single mention of Sonny, Carly, or Jason by any of the four!

Style-wise: Maxie looked better than she has in quite a while. The wedding dress BL tried on was what I think of as no bueno, and the same for that weird frontal hair style on Lois. Sofer has lovely hair, so I don't know what people were thinking. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

What the hell was up with Lois’ hair? And I agree with others. The dress BL tried on ugly. 
Donna did not look like she was having any fun, let alone to much fun for Sonny to not say goodbye.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

NuJagger is HOT.  I don't care what anyone says, PLUS this show needs a moral counterbalance to murderer Sonny.  And I want Nina to check out his ceiling. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 13
(edited)
17 minutes ago, ciarra said:

But they're practically twins!

spacer.png

I still can't get over how some of his first lines were literally "Don't you recognize me, Anna? It's me, Jagger!"

9 minutes ago, CeChase said:

PLUS this show needs a moral counterbalance to murderer Sonny.

We can do better than Random Acts of Wagger!

Edited by jsbt
  • LOL 10
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Losing Jason means nothing when everyone knows it’s temporary and the hotel was always a meh loss. She only got half of the already successful hotel because she traded those ELQ  stocks that Lorenzo randomly gave up in the settlement of their short marriage. The “controlling interest” in ELQ that the show forgot about as soon as they mentioned it since Jax was never shown to be involved in the company after that happened and a few years later, somehow Edward had all the stocks and could redistribute them in his will. When she lost it because of her own get rich quick scheme, like 5 people offered to buy her the hotel back and it was only her own pride that kept her from getting it. 

In the real world, there was probably enough collateral between her devalued Aurora shares and the hotel to justify a long term loan at a reasonable interest rate to purchase her Metro Court shares.  But these writers appear to have no knowledge of how the real world works in any way.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

As a Brooklyn girl born and raised, I’m getting more and more insulted by Lois’ wardrobe. Is this really what they think women dress like in NY? Even in the 70s and 80s, most of us dressed better than this! I mean what in the holy hell was she wearing today??????

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

A day behind, but just wanted to say that there was something about how Kirsten Storms played her scenes with Spinelli yesterday that was different.  For the first time in a very long time, Maxie made sustained, prolonged eye contact, and in the process, she looked vulnerable (before she kicked Spinelli out, of course).  And that helped me remember why I like her and root for her.  To my eye, she has developed a shell that keeps others at a distance, and Spinelli penetrated it.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I had to FF thru the Jex scenes once she found him. There’s only so much suffering I can endure in one show and I had my fill of it with Michael and Dante, as well as Sonny and Carly. Such a great dad that Sonny. Couldn’t even bring himself to say goodbye to his daughter. 🙄

Damn that wedding dress was hideous! It’s clear Brook Lynn wants to wear Lilia’s dress, so just come out and ask Tracy to find it! Otherwise find another one that you love. Or better yet, do us all a favor and elope! She and Chase are so completely devoid of chemistry, and he’s been reduced to a nothing character. When was the last time we even saw him working? and now he’s all upset because she wants a prenup? She’s a Quartermaine ffs! A trust fund baby who doesn’t have to work a day in her life. She’ll inherit millions more some day. It would be preposterous for her NOT to want some sort of legal arrangement to protect her assets. Doesn’t mean she’s looking for a way out!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Such a great dad that Sonny. Couldn’t even bring himself to say goodbye to his daughter.

Seriously. It's not like she was all the way on the other side of the playground. She was literally mere feet away.

Also, the danger to baby mama Carly is non existent as she plays in the park with her daughter but the danger to baby mama Ava is so great that she has to move in with Sonny? Make it make sense, show.

2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

She’ll inherit millions more some day. It would be preposterous for her NOT to want some sort of legal arrangement to protect her assets

Except the prenup wasn't her idea it was Tracy's.  

• Like 6
25 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Except the prenup wasn't her idea it was Tracy's.  

Yes but Chase doesn’t know that. And it should have been her idea.  Since it wasn’t, I’m glad Tracy thought of it. Even if it was bK’s idea, it’s stupid for chase to get bent out of shape by it.

I had a news interruption and I missed the Lila flashback, but I also missed the Jex sex, so I'm considering it a win.  Sorry, Lila.

Why was Brooklyn trying on a Duggar family style dress?  Modest doesn't have to be fug, show.  Speaking of fug, what in the holy hell was going on with Lois's head?  It looked like a felt hairpiece.

Sonny calling an FBI agent a punk was very on brand.  Once an asshole, always an asshole.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
11 hours ago, CeChase said:

NuJagger is HOT.  I don't care what anyone says, PLUS this show needs a moral counterbalance to murderer Sonny.

I'd be with you on this, but we've all been on this ride so many times. For anyone who is introduced or reintroduced hating Sonny, there are three possible outcomes: (1) They'll get villain writing and will have a short shelf life. (2) They'll be ineffectual in opposing Sonny. (3) He'll save their lives or help them in some other way, and they'll come to grudgingly accept that he's "the good mobster" because he operates by a "code" and all that crap.  

Even Taggert was drinking the Kool-Aid 15 minutes after his 2020 return, which is something I hoped never to see. I know that soap enemies joining forces against a more immediate threat is a reliable trope, but still: blech.

At least Jagger seems unlikely to fall in love with or have sex with Sonny, like Hannah, Claire, Ava, et cetera. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I'd be with you on this, but we've all been on this ride so many times. For anyone who is introduced or reintroduced hating Sonny, there are three possible outcomes: (1) They'll get villain writing and will have a short shelf life. (2) They'll be ineffectual in opposing Sonny. (3) He'll save their lives or help them in some other way, and they'll come to grudgingly accept that he's "the good mobster" because he operates by a "code" and all that crap.  

Even Taggert was drinking the Kool-Aid 15 minutes after his 2020 return, which is something I hoped never to see. I know that soap enemies joining forces against a more immediate threat is a reliable trope, but still: blech.

At least Jagger seems unlikely to fall in love with or have sex with Sonny, like Hannah, Claire, Ava, et cetera. 

I know.  This is my fear.  I know I'm dreaming that they can commit to a countervailing moral force, but it's a fine dream.  Did Patrick ever cave?  I think he was the one who never did, no?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

or 4) his ineffectualness will end up getting him killed and his last words will be to apologize to Sonny for ever going after him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, CeChase said:

Did Patrick ever cave?  I think he was the one who never did, no?

He did NOT. And that's one of the things I love about him. He was pissed, while deeply grieving Robin's "death" that he dared to show up at her funeral and make it about his sorry, narcissistic self. While Robin forgave him (of course she did) when she returned from her captivity, Patrick remained steadfast in his hate against Jason and the Michael Corleone wannabe who's really Phillip Tataglia. I think while he was with Sam, he didn't actually voice his hatred of Jason, but he never ever sought him out or ever caved. I wish I could say the same about my darling Robert, but he caved and went to Sam and Jason for "help" which made me want to bash my head into a wall (see below). But at least he still hasn't caved with the wannabe Michael Corleone. Silver linings, I guess?

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He did NOT. And that's one of the things I love about him. He was pissed, while deeply grieving Robin's "death" that he dared to show up and make it about his sorry, narcissistic self. While Robin forgave him (of course she did) when she returned from her captivity, Patrick remained steadfast in his hate against Jason and the Michael Corleone wannabe who's really Phillip Tataglia. I think while he was with Sam, he didn't actually voice his hatred of Jason, but he never ever sought him out or ever caved. I wish I could say the same about my darling Robert, but he caved and went to Sam and Jason for "help" which made me want to bash my head into a wall (see below). But at least he still hasn't caved with the wannabe Michael Corleone. Silver linings, I guess?

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

That's how I remember it but I have missed things along the way.  Patrick Drake is sorely missed by me. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

so Kin posted a video of Scott confronting Sonny after Karen’s death, and Sonny’s bodyguard threatened Scott with a violation of the national security act! What the holy fuck? And they’re still using that sorry trope 20+ years later!

• Sad 1

I enjoyed the cemetery scenes with Wagger and Scott. Not because of Wagger but because of Scott. In those scenes he was Scott, not Scotty, if that makes any sense. 

Plus, he looked damn fine with darker hair and clothes that actually fit.

• Like 6

Sonny is forever a hypocrite. Judging Jagger for being a bad husband to Karen. At least that man was in his early 20s when that happened and not still repeating the same patterns at 60. Plus referring to Karen by her stripper name was vile. He knew what he was doing 

• Like 9
  • Love 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Sonny is forever a hypocrite. Judging Jagger for being a bad husband to Karen. At least that man was in his early 20s when that happened and not still repeating the same patterns at 60. Plus referring to Karen by her stripper name was vile. He knew what he was doing 

Are they writing him this way purposefully to show that Sonny was a better man after Nixon Falls and being Mike?  And now is reverting to the absolute low life scum he was before hand?  OR, are we supposed to be rooting for this  Sonny?  I never can tell. 

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Remember when Sonny told Karen she must have wanted to be abused by Ray Conway as a child? Just to make her feel dirty and ashamed and unworthy of anything good because she was trying to resist his abusive controlling self? BECAUSE I FUCKING DO!

I cannot, cannot, CAN NOT deal with Sonny being self-righteous about Karen with Scotty or Jagger (even if I don't buy this dude as Jagger). If Sonny has actually grown any bit of a conscience in the years since then, if he actually loves his daughters the way this show insists he does, if we are supposed to buy that he is not an utter piece of vile, misogynist shit; he doesn't get to be snippy about Karen. Not to the people who actually cared about her, because he never did. He needs to be ashamed, he needs to accept their scorn and anger as deserved.

Animated GIF

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Like 4
  • Fire 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

He knew what he was doing 

and

18 minutes ago, CeChase said:

And now is reverting to the absolute low life scum he was before hand? 

He told Dante that he needled Jagger on purpose so that JustJohn would take a swing at him, get into trouble and the FBI would real him back in.  I guess in Sonny's mind, that would mean the end of the FBI investigation into the murdered mob bosses.  Because he's that stupid.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Remember when Sonny told Karen she must have wanted to be abused by Ray Conway as a child? Just to make her feel dirty and ashamed and unworthy of anything good because she was trying to resist his abusive controlling self? BECAUSE I FUCKING DO!

This is coming from a guy who has a meltdown every time Deke is mentioned.

• Like 11

That was sure the whiplash with the BL/Chase scenes. He blames her for how the ELQ lawyers sent him the prenup; then he says he calmed down and realized it wasn't so outrageous to have a prenup. Then why fly off the handle in the first place?

Sonny is acting like a peevish 7-year-old (qual surprise), but since it's aimed mostly at Michael, I'm enjoying it more than I'm aggravated by it.

News flash, Joss: Just because Sonny might not do anything to Dex if he returns to PC doesn't mean one of Sonny's enemies won't. How about you think outside of your selfish sex haze and consider the bigger picture?

Finn's reaction to Violet's "wedding" was absurd. And painfully stupid. I had secondhand embarrassment for ME having to play that.

Gross how everyone thinks Tracy wouldn't let BL wear Lila's wedding dress. And I still hate how Tracy is feeling guilty about not wearing it for her first wedding. If she didn't like it then, she didn't like it. It doesn't make her terrible or selfish.

I will die laughing if Joss brings Dex back to Port Charles to "save" Sonny, and Jason shows up at the same time and those two end up having a slap fight over who's going to protect Sonny.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
25 minutes ago, jqdeco said:

I’m sorry, but Lois/Lila’s wedding dress was ugly in the 90’s. It’s not going to be any better now.

Tracy did say she could alter it any way she wanted and now that actors are better dressed on the show (excluding Lois), something tells me that if this wedding ever happens, it will be quite different looking.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Joss: Sonny is a criminal! He is vile and evil and I hate him and will never forgive him. ... ...That was Michael, you need to come back to Port Charles to protect Sonny!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
11 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

That was Michael, you need to come back to Port Charles to protect Sonny!!

Joss's only concern is getting Dex back to Port Charles. The reason is irrelevant. She's thinking only about herself.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I cannot, cannot, CAN NOT deal with Sonny being self-righteous about Karen with Scotty or Jagger (even if I don't buy this dude as Jagger). If Sonny has actually grown any bit of a conscience in the years since then, if he actually loves his daughters the way this show insists he does, if we are supposed to buy that he is not an utter piece of vile, misogynist shit; he doesn't get to be snippy about Karen. Not to the people who actually cared about her, because he never did. He needs to be ashamed, he needs to accept their scorn and anger as deserved.

Animated GIF

My favorite part is years later, when Karen return to work at General Hospital, they had that f*cking scene where dumbass Jason said that a SAed 17 year old girl had a choice and was totally not coerced or groomed by an older male criminal, and then Karen thanking the asshole Sonny. Guess Sonny can't take any responsibility for any of the things he does and everyone has to excuse his shit. If you want to know what ended messing with Karen more, Sonny getting her to strip at his club and plying her with pills or Jagger cheating on her and her marriage breaking up, I'll settle. Karen moved on to other relationships and barely mentioned Jagger, but the whole drug addicted stripper haunted her once in the pilot storyline on Port Charles (where she was forced by gun point do it again) and later when she got hooked on pills again and Scotty and Lucy nearly lost custody of their adopted daughter because Karen watched her while high. I was more angered by the scene between her, Sonny, Jason and Robin on the docks in 1997 than the stripper storyline because it was dangerous to excuse Sonny grooming a teenage girl, especially as there were a far amount of teen girls watching at the time. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3

Jagger. it's okay if you don't keep Sonny alive.  just look the other way. just let him get shot in the head like God, Ian and Claudia intended. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

That dress Brooklyn tried on was horrible.  No shock Tracy will end up giving her Lila's dress.  

Lois is going to judge people for meddling?

Then Sonny judging anyone else's cheating is a joke.  Or calling anyone a bad husband. 

Dante should have a little more anger to Michael for what he's done. He should have a little bit more to say than it's not his business.  He accused him before and was right, he should be telling him I told you so. 

Joss sure found Dex fast.  Did she take that pill? 

• Like 6