Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

On 12/7/2023 at 11:29 AM, mostlylurking said:

And he delivered Bailey Lou, but Maxie barely remembers her never mind who helped bring her into this world.

I agree.  Adam needs help dealing with his issues, but that doesn’t make him Joss’ responsibility.  On the other hand, it’s pretty easy for Joss to tell Adam he should be doing what he wants and not worry so much about his parents.  She has safety nets and privileges money can buy so these are things that don’t really cross her mind.  

I thought Spencer’s goodbye was sweet.  Even though they will be close by, they will not be under the same roof and it’s not the same.  Especially with Spencer’s feelings of abandonment I can see why this would be hard for him.  It is for the best though (and will be healthier for everyone).

I also wanted to comment on Jeff Kober’s performance a couple days ago.  This guy is so good.  And he speaks a lot of truth.  Laura is a hypocrite.  She cavorts with criminals constantly.  I understand if she doesn’t want to add another to her roster, but at least acknowledge that.

I lost all respect for Martin after he folded like a cheap suit because of Michael out of all people.  He and Alexis were being ridiculous, they weren’t giving Finn any constructive criticism or telling him what he should be saying, they were just looking down on him.

I know this has been mentioned many times but I have to join in and say Jake is such a mini Jason!  Great casting there.  He reminds me so much of Jason when he was young with the spikey hair.

Very little crosses Joss’s mind that isn’t all about her.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, MarciNJ said:

you know who would make a great PC power couple?  Cyrus and Ava.  Mainly because they are the two strongest actors on the show and their scenes would sparkle. So..... I'm not holding my breath.....

Marci, don’t you understand?  We can’t have nice things.

• LOL 1
On 12/7/2023 at 12:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

Is there nothing Marshall can't do? He plays a mean clarinet, he remembers everything about Curtis as a toddler, he makes a mean turkey gumbo, he decorates trees with every ornament known to mankind...

I was unmoved by his breakdown, mostly because he was such an asshole when he first returned to Port Charles. That is all on him.

This show, man. Having babies is supposed to be the goal of every woman, but becoming a grandmother is something to dread because it means you're old and a dried-up crone. UGH.

I know I'm supposed to be thinking "Oh, noes! Carly is flirting with the bad guy!" but instead I'm hoping he takes her hostage and goes incommunicado for a while.

LOL that the Pikeman/WSB guy sort of hides from Robert. Not all Australians know one another, Show. 

Gregory is as obstinate as his son when it comes to the malpractice lawsuit. How many times does Alexis have to explain how things work to these dummies?

Wow, Portia, way to obliterate Curtis's privacy and boundaries by submitting his medical records without his knowledge.

It might be an Australian thing.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, TVbitch said:

Agreed. I don't get it. Because of a strong family history of ovarian cancer, I am supposed to have an ultrasound every 6 months. Often they find a little growth or something and the doctor (of course) says to come back for another scan or biopsy or whatever. But sometimes I don't. (I choose to see if it will just resolve.) What is the doctor supposed to do, call all of his patients who are not following up as directed and convince them to come in? Not his job, and it would be impossible time-wise to track hundreds of patients. ...having said that, if my doctor looked like ME and talked like Batman, I'd probably go in more often.

His is why doctor’s practice defensive medicine.  Because of lawsuits like this one.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, Desperado said:

I thought the same thing. As much as I love Jane Elliott, I’m not sure why we had scenes of her mourning Luke, outside of making it the reason why she’ll be a grinch to Olivia and Lois.

And I’m a grinch to O&L too because man that was a boring convo. 

An essentially boring episode that felt like Dec. 23 when we have weeks to go before then, so weird.

Its only redeeming quality is that Anna and Valentin, the world’s biggest doofus, are finally done. Suffering through Valentin’s ridiculous arguments was a pain though.

That’s completely unfair!

Drew is a much bigger doofus than Valentin.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 12/12/2023 at 3:32 PM, statsgirl said:

The Tracey/Ned reunion was really swet. Two old pros who hae been working together forever.

So long that I still remember WK/JE playing lovers on Days of Our Lives just before they became mother/son on General Hospital.

Not gonna lie: It took me some time to stop being kinda squicked out.

But they managed to overcome it for me! LOL!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
On 12/12/2023 at 8:23 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

Or talking/bitching about Sonny

So say us all.  And of course it's sad, complete with victim blaming.  I can't wait until he ~surprises Joss with a huge tree, complete with a zillion ornaments, as he tearfully tells her she's shown him the true meaning of Christmas.  God bless us all.

I hate the way Olivia and Lois acted towards Tracy.  I know she gives as good as she gets, but they were downright awful.  Yes, how DARE Tracy return to a house she's considered home for decades.  Not to mention when she left she never said she wasn't returning.  Assholes, the both of them.

Eden McCoy is gorgeous and has an awesome body, but somehow her character manages to make her sex scenes with Dex off putting.  I dread them.  

• Like 5
On 12/5/2023 at 7:01 AM, Sake614 said:

Drew doesn't even work for ELQ. Why is he going to Australia to close a deal that Michael brokered? And don't give me the 'Michael doesn't want to leave Willow and the kids' BS.

What kind of business sends someone who doesn't actually work for them to finalize a deal, especially a big one on an international scale?  How would Drew have the authority to make agreements and negotiate on the behalf of ELQ? What if something goes wrong somewhere down the line? What kind of legal liability exists?

On another topic, Joss's classmate - does anyone think that a person with these kind of issues shouldn't be a doctor? If he's getting so upset during pre-med classes, how much worse will it be when he takes actual med classes? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Leslie Charleson looks frail, but she is nearly 80

Fans have been clamoring for months for the show to bring Monica back and why wasn't she in the Thanksgiving episode and what not, which I'm assuming is why they brought her in for these scenes.  But she does look so fragile, that I wish they hadn't.  I felt badly for LC.  

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

What kind of business sends someone who doesn't actually work for them to finalize a deal

I'm planning on going into McDonalds later and telling them that I'm there from the head office and can I get all the earnings for the day, that I'll deposit for them.  Because that's how businesses work.  

• LOL 10

If TJ is that convinced Kristina is too flaky, then why not just tell Molly that they should look for a different non related surrogate? It’s not like Kristina is the only option. They could also opt to do that later on if Kristina does change her mind because it’s too much for her. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Why is Kristina talked about Iike she’s a perpetual screw-up? She hasn’t done anything questionable since getting involved with Dawn of Day, which was over 4 years ago. Even with DOD, she first involved in it because she thought it was a volunteer group and she wanted to do charity work. Since then, she’s worked at a stable job, manages to support herself, and has been single so she didn’t even have relationship drama unlike the rest of her family. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
16 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Why is Kristina talked about Iike she’s a perpetual screw-up? She hasn’t done anything questionable since getting involved with Dawn of Day, which was over 4 years ago. Even with DOD, she first involved in it because she thought it was a volunteer group and she wanted to do charity work. Since then, she’s worked at a stable job, manages to support herself, and has been single so she didn’t even have relationship drama unlike the rest of her family. 

Her past is constantly used against her in the Davis Coven, unlike Sam the Con Artist who never has that thrown in her face.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I know Amy is the town gossip, but why would she openly ask the COS about Finn's malpractice suit????

I think she explained that when she told Elizabeth that she worked on that case and was being called to give a deposition.  She actually  just wanted to check if that was still going to be necessary, not getting fodder for gossip.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

to check if that was still going to be necessary, not getting fodder for gossip.

Then if they wanted it to be about the deposition and not about gossip mongering, they should have used Deanna and not Amy.  Amy is known as the gossip girl so having her ask the question certainly made it seem that that is why she was asking.  If it was supposed to be for serious reasons, than having Amy ask didn't work.  Or the talk with Liz about the deposition should have come before the question to Portia.  

Also Carly needs to shut her pie hole.  Or Ava needs to punch her in the throat.  

Also why was Avery in bed already, but younger than her, Donna, was at dinner with Sonny and Kristina?  why not say that Avery was doing homework in the other room rather than that she was already in bed.  Oy!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Not enough to be in the Pikeman/WSB/Anna storyline, why is Carly being inserted into Ava's storyline about Austin's death? It's none of Carly's business what Ava tells Sonny (not to mention she's already told him about 'killing' Nicholas). I'm just waiting for Carly to corner Kristina and tell her all the horror stories about being pregnant.

Poor Robert. Diane wants "dessert". Also, it's not picking out your own tree if you order it from a florist.

2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

On another topic, Joss's classmate - does anyone think that a person with these kind of issues shouldn't be a doctor? If he's getting so upset during pre-med classes, how much worse will it be when he takes actual med classes? 

A psychologist once told me that about half of therapists getting into the job to understand their own problems. If Adam can get through med school, he will be a better doctor for being able to understand how patients feel.

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

TJ is such a judgey McJudgerson (this is why Adam will be a better doctor). He's acting like Kristina will decide at 6 or 7 months pregnant "Nope, I've changed my mind. I'm not going to go through with this." I fear for that baby weighed down with his expections,

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Why is Kristina talked about Iike she’s a perpetual screw-up?

Because she's working at Julian's gastropub. Even though he's no longer involved with it (and dead), the stink of him clings to the bar and was passed on to Kristina.

Just now, perkie1968 said:

Then if they wanted it to be about the deposition and not about gossip mongering, they should have used Deanna and not Amy. 

I think you misread things. Amy helped Finn on the case, so that's why she was asking Portia about it. Of course she didn't tell Portia that, so it came across as gossiping.

When Donna opened her menu and Sonny started laughing, that looked like Mo more than Sonny. It was very cute.

Leslie Charleson looked propped up in the chair—the camera was very carefully blocked when it showed her. It was nice to see her, but I wish they'd figure out a way to gracefully write off Monica. I hate to see her become a prop who's trotted out for five minutes to prove she's still around. LC and Monica deserve better.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think she explained that when she told Elizabeth that she worked on that case and was being called to give a deposition.  She actually  just wanted to check if that was still going to be necessary, not getting fodder for gossip.

yeah I hadn't gotten that far yet. But I also think she's going to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing by testifying that Finn actually did overlook something. That's the only reason i can see for this whole thing, especially with the hospital now backing Finn.

• Useful 1

From last Friday: 

One thing that I found odd was that when the plane Tracy was an hour before landing, the flight attendant announced that there would be beverages for the First Class passengers. Really, this is about the time that they stop providing beverage service and start getting people thinking about turning in their glasses and trash before landing. 

• Like 1

I agree that LC looked super frail and I was very annoyed that her presence was linked to the the boring Finn plot instead of something more worthwhile.

[If  it was a request from LC to have scenes with JE/ME, than I take it back.

• Like 1

I was always a fan of LC in the past but now, it was very upsetting to see her so small and fragile. I would have appreciated just remembering her the way she was rather than seeing her how she is now. Was this some kind of farewell?

• Sad 2

It irks me that they continued having Carly essentially be Avery’s 3rd parent and let her use that as an excuse to be in Ava’s business at all times. While it may happen IRL, on soaps, ex step parents usually move out of each others lives after the divorce since they get married so often unless that person adopted the kid, which we know Carly didn’t. It especially annoys me because I think they only do because Carly has so little going on herself that they need to give her an excuse to insert her into other people’s stories. Turning her into the new Ruby hasn’t exactly been all that interesting. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, ffwbe said:

It irks me that they continued having Carly essentially be Avery’s 3rd parent and let her use that as an excuse to be in Ava’s business at all times. While it may happen IRL, on soaps, ex step parents usually move out of each others lives after the divorce since they get married so often unless that person adopted the kid, which we know Carly didn’t. It especially annoys me because I think they only do because Carly has so little going on herself that they need to give her an excuse to insert her into other people’s stories. Turning her into the new Ruby hasn’t exactly been all that interesting. 

Carly barging into other people's stories is the best visible evidence that, post strike settlement, we're up to the old writing crew's stuff again. One might even say these appearances are "Korte-ordered."

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Carly barging into other people's stories is the best visible evidence that, post strike settlement, we're up to the old writing crew's stuff again. One might even say these appearances are "Korte-ordered."

Oh, you're right. 

• Like 2

Why can't Ava hire her own guards?  Why must she go running to Sonny to beg for help all the time?  Why must wimmen stand there in their own homes, nervously turning deadbolts? 

And why would anyone stick a desk there, in the hallway to the bedrooms?

Edited by ciarra
  • Applause 5

I know they've ~allegedly come to an understanding, but I wish Ava would've told Carly she hasn't forgotten the years she actively worked with/lobbied Sonny to cut Ava out of Avery's life and it's pretty fucking rich to now act like all she's concerned with is how devastated Avery would be if something happened to Ava.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 7

I never saw RobertFucking!Scorpio as needing reassurance about his sexual prowess. What has Diane done to him?

With all of this recent talk about Mike, I hope we don't get a ghostly visit from him.

Mo really lights up with the little actor who plays Donna.

Cody teasing Sasha about the gift was pretty charming. I can't help it; I loved Cody darting around the stable trying to find Sasha.

I'm confused: Didn't Cody tell Sasha he hadn't gotten her a gift? But then before she left he said he'd ordered something. Which is it?

Maxie was never a financial genius, so the loss of Deception merely added to her problems. BLQ shouldn't feel that's her fault.

Good for Alexis for telling Jordan to MYOB about the surrogacy.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Mo really lights up with the little actor who plays Donna.

She's really cute, is better at acting than some adults. Her interaction with Mo reminds me of his scenes with Kali Rodrigues' Kristina.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I was actually very happy to see LC, and felt like Monica hadn't missed a beat.  I don't know if she has the energy or the desire for it, but if they would write her mobility issue into the script, I think she could still play a key role for both the hospital and the Quartermaines.  If we can only see her now and then, I'll take that, too.

Ugh to Robert with Diane.  Every meaningful relationship I can remember him having was one he was actively resisting until he could resist no longer, and that approach seemed to suit his personality.  Nothing about Diane, nor their relationship, does. Diane is entirely too pushy, especially in demanding precedence over people he still considers to be family.  Just ugh.

On the other hand, I am seeing a stroke of brilliance in giving Gregory a terminal illness.  With long-term romance apparently (who knows?) off the table, the illness has allowed him to grow into a deep platonic relationship with Alexis, and a developing one with Tracy, and I think the show has been sorely missing these kinds of relationships.  We just don't see too many organic friendships on GH any more, and I miss them.  But now they'll have to find a way to save Gregory, lest his friendships disappear too.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Desperado said:

I don’t know where to put this because there’s no dedicated thread, but watching the Daytime Emmys and Stephen Nichols spoke a tribute to Tyler Christopher and 😭😭

I used the media thread for the show wins if you want to discuss further there

• Like 3

My daughter always used to grumble about WGWG (white guys with guitars) littering her college campus, so I had to laugh when what's-his-name turned up in strumming the dorm hallway, all "Oh, I...didn't see you there."

And I genuinely wondered if the ensuing scenes were all in his head, because you just know how many of these guys genuinely think that's what SHOULD happen -- hot girls falling all over themselves to take them out to lunch and tell them how incredible they are.  

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

My unpopular opinion: I like Robert and Diane together. It gives TR a storyline and more screen time plus I like Diane. Holly will always be his true love but unless Emma Samms comes back full time, I’ll take Diane.

Really surprised NAC didn’t win a daytime Emmy. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Maybe he made the mistake of submitting all those "My baby brother" scenes. I once heard Susan Lucci's submission reels were bad because she liked to choose comedic scenes which just couldn't compete with all the dramatic stuff the other Best Actress contenders were submitting. That's why she didn't win until her 19th try.

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, jqdeco said:

My unpopular opinion: I like Robert and Diane together. It gives TR a storyline and more screen time plus I like Diane. Holly will always be his true love but unless Emma Samms comes back full time, I’ll take Diane.

Really surprised NAC didn’t win a daytime Emmy. 

On paper Diane might be too sensible to seem like an exciting partner, but for whatever reason she really makes TR spark.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Some people are always first name–last name. I had a friend like that. There was something innately pleasing about how her names went together that we rarely called her by just her first name.

I think sociologists call this LIz Lemon Syndrome 😉

• Like 3
20 hours ago, ljr said:

Why is everyone saying Austin gatlin Holt? There was only one Austin 

It always bugs me because I don't know why that's his last name in the first place. Gatlin is not his mother's maiden name.   It's his mother's first husband's last name. That would be like Mac and Felicia having a kid and the last name being Jones-Scorpio.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2023 at 5:45 PM, statsgirl said:

TJ is such a judgey McJudgerson (this is why Adam will be a better doctor). He's acting like Kristina will decide at 6 or 7 months pregnant "Nope, I've changed my mind. I'm not going to go through with this." I fear for that baby weighed down with his expections,

This is why the S/L bugs. If TJ has such a low opinion of Kristina he shouldn't let her carry his child. And he shouldn't be constantly bitching about her, it's his sister-in-law for fuck's sake. The A-hole gene seems to be strong in those Ashford men.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1

And just like that, Esme's memories are back.  Will she turn evil again, or just continue to co exist

Temp Joss was ok, though didn' have the same snarky feel as Eden does.  I'm assuming this was filmed when Eden's mother passed.

Why did we have a new ob/gyno doctor for the Tolly scenes and not our very own Dr Navarro?  Also, I get the baby rabies, but do these two not understand that getting pregnant takes time, even more so when it's with a surrogate.  Geez Doctor TJ, read a book or two.

Blaze dropping Kristina's hand when Brace showed up should have Kristina running for the hills.  That's not kosher.  

Oh look, Carly is now in the Dante/Anna/WSB story.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eden McCoy must have taken some bereavement leave for her mom; hence the temp. LOL at Spencer's gift to Joss. 

Ugh, more misplaced guilt from BLQ about Maxie's financial problems. 

Soccer mom Carly gives off a "distinctly unconventional vibe"? LOL.

Anna's story is so boring. A complete snore.

TJ and Molly are so stupid. Did they really think that just because they had a new surrogate lined up that the usual protocol didn't have to be followed? Do they want a good chance of having a baby that way or not? Gah. I really hope this doesn't mean they decide to take matters into their own hands.

Isn't the WSB supposed to be a semi-secret organization? So why is there a press release about its new director? Such a blatant plot point.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I love that Gregory used the term 'defenestration'. But given Alexis' osteoporosis and brittle bones (did the writers forget?) jumping out of a plane may not be the best idea,

Conflict in the Blaze/Kristina relationship. I get it, Blaze cannot be out, will Insecure Kristina be unable to take feeling rejected in public?

You have a Super Sekrit file that the bad guys are killing to silence.  Do you

1. Have only the original copy and take it with you to the deserted waterfront? OR
  2. Make multiple copies, digital and hard copy, and send it to everyone you know so that killing you won't do them any good.

I'd pick option 2 so clearly, I'm not WSB or PCPD material.

Interesting that the show ended on Esme remembering rather than EvilWSB stalking Anna and Dante. Esme remembering is a more subtle story than this show usually goes for.

On 12/17/2023 at 5:00 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

If TJ has such a low opinion of Kristina he shouldn't let her carry his child. And he shouldn't be constantly bitching about her, it's his sister-in-law for fuck's sake.

If TJ cares at all about genetics, and he does since he's using his sperm, Kristina is Molly's half-sister which means that there is a 37% genetic match to Molly. For that if nothing else he should be glad. I'd be skipping the egg donation.

17 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Why did we have a new ob/gyno doctor for the Tolly scenes and not our very own Dr Navarro?  Also, I get the baby rabies, but do these two not understand that getting pregnant takes time, even more so when it's with a surrogate.  Geez Doctor TJ, read a book or two.

You'd think that they're 67 instead of 27 with the "We can't wait. A. Single. Moment. Longer".

TJ tends to baby Molly a lot, as if she's a fragile flower. It gives me the icks.

16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Soccer mom Carly gives off a "distinctly unconventional vibe"? LOL.

That should have been her 346th clue that he's shady. But Carly's narcissism is a powerful shield in itself.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2