Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

You could tell today was a min filler day for some. That Sam/Carly convo was pointless as well as the time spent with Willow giving Wiley pudding. That they decided to waste time with those scenes and haven’t circled back to Eddie meeting Lois for 3 episodes was a choice. The pacing on this show can be annoying. Seems like whenever there’s any SL involving Sonny or Carly, the days in PC get stretched out for eternity and you subsequently have to wait days or even weeks for the other SLs to pick back up again. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I’ve been out of the loop for over a month because life (don’t you hate it when life gets in the way?!). Deleted all the old episodes and started fresh today.  Thank you soaps for all the gratuitous backstory dialogue!  First thoughts:

I almost didn’t recognize Cody without the facial hair.  I’m not sure how I feel about it.

I’m glad Nina and Sonny actually got married.  I’m kind of surprised they actually got there.  This is giving me a sliver of hope that they may actually stay together once the truth comes out.  I think if Mo gets his way they will.  Here’s hoping he can actually use his clout for good.

I’m surprised Martin folded so quickly.  I thought he was tougher than that.  What a weenie.

I’m very sad Gladys is gone because I liked the actress and the character was great until they ran her into the ground.  But hopefully the “how can we torture Sasha” stories are over.

I missed this forum!  Can’t wait to read some comments 😊🍿🫖 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 11
8 hours ago, Artsda said:

Michael thinks the SEC would have walked away from Carly because she didn't make money. Really stupid business logic.  

Right? It is just as dumb as claiming that you shouldn't be in jail because the place you broke into didn't have any money for you to steal. The SEC rules don't specify that you have to make X amount of money for it to be illegal - the point is that you can't use non-public knowledge for your own transactions (whether they end up being profitable or not). Something a smart businessman would know. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I’m glad Nina and Sonny actually got married.  I’m kind of surprised they actually got there.  This is giving me a sliver of hope that they may actually stay together once the truth comes out.  I think if Mo gets his way they will.  Here’s hoping he can actually use his clout for good.

Yes, generally, if the marriage actually happens on a soap, the story is going to be more complicated than a simple severance (see Portia and Curtis, recently). If they'd done Carly dramatically entering to spill the beans when the officiant asked if anyone had any objections, and then Sonny calling Nina a bitch and ordering her out of his life, I'd be more likely to predict that Sonny and Nina really were done. At least they're setting it up for characters to be torn. I'd include Willow there as well. 

However, I have no illusions: this is going to be the pile-on to end all pile-ons. The viciousness will rival that when Elizabeth's affair with Nikolas became public. Nina will eventually get blamed for Ned's accident and his alienation from Olivia, because if he hadn't been rushing to the pool to break the news, blah blah blah. And of course she'll be held 100 percent responsible for Drew's imprisonment, prison beating, and ICU stay. It won't be like when Carly was outed for concealing Willow's maternity, and a couple people were mad for about a day and a half.  

At least Watros does angst well. 

I already had a brief summer barge stay, but curiosity about the replacement writers got me to look in again. 

• Like 8

I have very little interest in this SEC story. And that’s not just because I like Nina, but I’ve been over the Carly v. Nina wars for a long time now. They’ve been hating each other for a few years now, and I’m over it! The rivalry btw Carly and Nina is downright boring because the writing isn’t balanced. Everything Nina does is awful, and everything Carly does is completely understandable. Ok. That’s not a good soap rivalry. It’s just Carly prevailing all the time. How fun?! RME! I was completely done after no one cared about Carly’s lies re: Willow. I realized then that this show doesn’t give you - the viewer - any return on your investment unless the character is one that’s not favored by the writers. The minute Nina made that call, I knew where this story was headed. I actually don’t see SoNa ending but I’m not interested in seeing the fallout with more angry Michael, Willow, Carly, Olivia, etc. 

Unless you love Carly and hate Nina, that’s nothing to watch! So, I’ll definitely be muting/FFing all this Nina crap or will just skip the show entirely and keep up with my faves via YT and Twitter! There’s not too much I’m interested in right now anyway. 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 4
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

However, I have no illusions: this is going to be the pile-on to end all pile-ons. 

Oh yeah, it certainly feels like we’re headed for an extended aftermath. It seems like that’s what users of other social media want but…just not entertaining for me.

And of course this means Ava will get shipped back to pariah land since she knew. Maybe she and Selina or Tracy can become drinking buddies.

I honestly don’t know how MEK kept a straight face in the scenes where Michael was “bullying” him. Aside from the writing, CD doesn’t do tough guy well. At all.

JK looked SO different yesterday. 

Edited by mbluecpa
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Right? It is just as dumb as claiming that you shouldn't be in jail because the place you broke into didn't have any money for you to steal. The SEC rules don't specify that you have to make X amount of money for it to be illegal - the point is that you can't use non-public knowledge for your own transactions (whether they end up being profitable or not). Something a smart businessman would know. 

This plus the stock tanking due to her manipulation would have had negative impacts on other people, not just Carly. Other shareholders would have also lost money and a stock crashing like that would have likely led to layoffs, selling off assets, etc. 

• Love 5

The writing for the Martin/Michael confrontation is atrocious.  Any lawyer would know enough to walk out and make plan.  He could have said he needs an hour to think about it.  He should have recorded Michael threatening him.  He could have went to his sister, Laura, who is back in town and tight with Sonny.  Martin had so many choices here and they made him a weasel, which is fine, but what's not fine is they made him a truly incompetent idiot.  That just isn't good storytelling.  

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 8
  • Applause 11
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

Michael saying Carly did the insider trading to help him is not what I remember. I remember her going on and on about how she was going to make a killing with the stock. 

oh it was like always the after thought "I got to help you and Drew and let's party with my millions!" like it was always going to be a major benefit to her.

3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

and the thing is people have made this example (not as black and white) but everytime someone whinges like "omg why do people care, it's drew and carly, and we lost." someone like Dante would point this out and it was like. "but it's still not faiiirrr." they can't get it through the thick skulls. Forget a smart business man. an entry level businessman would know that. 

28 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

This plus the stock tanking due to her manipulation would have had negative impacts on other people, not just Carly. Other shareholders would have also lost money and a stock crashing like that would have likely led to layoffs, selling off assets, etc. 

which is like everyone else seems to forget too. other people were impacted.  but who cares. about that. 

Honestly. this is basically  once again people not doing their homework. They didn't know that Carly/Michael/Drew were committing insider trading and stock manipulation until people were screaming at them that this was what it was. there is no way that the CEO fo the compan would be exempt from this kind of investigation (esp when the perpetrator is his mother).

and again. Michael and Carly and Drew go out of their way to crap on Nina. why the ever living hell should Nina keep that secret for you? that's a secret you keep for friends and family. she's neither to you. and you don't get to pull out the card "But Willow." either because Willow only treats her well when she wants something too. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

Martin shouldn't have let the twerp threaten him. 

Martin could have threaten the twerp back.   Did he forget he has a brother named Cyrus?  "Sonny comes after me, Cyrus will go after him."  Don't think Martin is aware that Cyrus would love to oblige.

• Like 10
14 hours ago, Sake614 said:

And of course Drew doesn’t want scout to see him in the hospital. He also didn’t want her visiting him in prison. He’s barely spent any time with her since hooking up with Carly so I’m surprised he even remembers who she is.

That whole exchange cracked me up. Drew hasn't been interested in his daughter in ages. Sam sucks for not pushing him harder to make an effort to see Scout. She just nods and goes along with his benign neglect, no problemo. 

12 hours ago, susannah said:

I dislike that Sasha is leaving. I like her.

Has there been anything in the soap press that SM is leaving the show? The show seems to like her—and Sasha is obviously there for Cody as a possible love interest. Maybe SM is finally taking her mat leave, heh.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That whole exchange cracked me up. Drew hasn't been interested in his daughter in ages. Sam sucks for not pushing him harder to make an effort to see Scout. She just nods and goes along with his benign neglect, no problemo. 

Sam never said much about Jason treating Danny like an afterthought either and was always campaigning that he was a good father because he occasionally remembered Danny existed. I don’t think it’ll ever get more than a passing mention because it makes Carly look bad for being with a deadbeat dad. There’s a reason that they have Carly bring up Scout to Drew so they can make it look like she cares about them being close and thereby get a pass. She would do the same thing with Jason re Danny/Jake even though we knew she never wanted Jason to prioritize anyone over her. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Why? The kid is an afterthought. He went to jail to save his girlfriend and was going to sell the company he founded so that his daughter have something of him to bail the asshole he's apparently in love with.

If I'm Sam, I'm glad Scout is away from JasonLite and by extension Carly. Dante is probably a much better father anyway.

I'm sure Drew will go sniffing around Scout and Sam whenever Carly drops his ass to get back with Sonny, and profess how much he loves and wants to be with his daughter when he couldn't even stick around to be with her.

Fuck him and the cow he rode on.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

someone like Dante would point this out and it was like. "but it's still not faiiirrr." they can't get it through the thick skulls.

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone in prison thinks that it isn't fair that they were convicted. Granted there are some people who were incorrectly convicted, but they are in the minority. If they (Carly, Drew, and other convicts) had real objectivity, they would admit that they tried to get away with something and got caught, so they have to pay the penalty. 

As for C & D's friends and family who still think it isn't fair? Guess what? That's the way the cookie crumbles, folks. The law isn't based on what you as an individual thinks is "fair" to you. Cheating is cheating, even if you think it is for "a good reason". 

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm sure Drew will go sniffing around Scout and Sam whenever Carly drops his ass to get back with Sonny, and profess how much he loves and wants to be with his daughter when he couldn't even stick around to be with her.

Fuck him and the cow he rode on.

as I said before, never had i wanted a SORAS so badly as Scout's and she obliterates Drew and never wants nothing to do with him ever. 

19 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

As for C & D's friends and family who still think it isn't fair? Guess what? That's the way the cookie crumbles, folks. The law isn't based on what you as an individual thinks is "fair" to you. Cheating is cheating, even if you think it is for "a good reason". 

and everyone is going to go poor poor you Nina is the evul because you broke the law. yeah. i'm over that one

• Like 10

Is the actress who plays Sasha leaving the show? Or just going on maternity leave?  Yesterday made it feel like the character was leaving.

I'm so bored/annoyed with the SEC dram-ah that I'm ignoring it, except for how it's going to affect Nina.

Michael and Stepford Wife Willow need to break up, STAT.

• Like 5

Aww, I loved seeing Lois!  The flashbacks were great.  I remember her god awful pixie cut.  Everyone was wearing that cut for a while, Vanessa Marcil had it and so did most of the women on 90210.  And those babydoll dresses that made everyone look pregnant.  I partook in that one.  So bad.  What were we thinking??

And she’s been rocking those nails for what, 20 years?  That’s commitment!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Wait, so now the story isn't just that Nina was the one who turned in Drew and Carly to the SEC, but that she "pressed for the investigation to go forward?"  And that the SEC wouldn't have cared about fucking insider trading with an outside force harassing them? 

Im not sure that's what they were saying. I think they were saying that Nina brought it to their attention but  while they might have dismissed it, the fact that it was Carly "Corinthos" then the DOJ got involved and were pushing the SEC to build a case.  (to get to Sonny, which is what happened, that Carly was being pushed to give up info on Sonny and she refused so then she got the fine and Drew stupidly fell on his sowrd.  

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Drew: “The FBI twisted it and made us look guilty.”

Oh so we are still going with that narrative, huh?  God.  These people are idiots.

Shocking that these losers are always rejecting any wrongdoings and blaming everyone else for their "misfortunes."

Someone should work on finding a cure for the Carly virus.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Oh so we are still going with that narrative, huh?  God.  These people are idiots.

This is actually insulting to the viewers.  Hell, Drew and Carly themselves were so worried they were going to get caught that they did that "we have to avoid each other" bit.  Fuck off, show.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
25 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Am I missing something, when did the FBI become involved?  Or is the Department of Justice and the FBI and the SEC all the same poeple???

Drew: Whoever turned us in to the SEC knew that they would twist what we did into something bad.  (Drew, it was illegal. They don't have to twist it into something bad, it is bad.)

Carly: "That man is walking around free while you're going back to Pentonville for insider trading that you lost money on."  (As if that should absolve them of it. Well, you did something illegal but you didn't benefit from it so it's totes okay.)

59 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Shocking that these losers are always rejecting any wrongdoings and blaming everyone else for their "misfortunes."

Add to that Michael saying that Nina used her influence with the SEC to make them go after Carly and Drew (!!!) and i have to give the show credit for knowing how to write narcissists.

Of course it's Joss and Dex who save Ava. sigh

Why is Mason still alive? He should have been gone long ago. Cyrus better take him out now for going against orders.

21 hours ago, Daisy said:

for what?

Martin rolled on Nina after promising her that no one would know that she informed to the SEC; Lucy offered Sasha's job so someone else without telling Sasha that she was fired. They're a fitting pair yesterday.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Lois’ sweater hurts my eyes. I know being a little tacky was part of her character but I don’t remember her outfits being this garishly ugly before. She looked ok in the flashbacks 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Martin rolled on Nina after promising her that no one would know that she informed to the SEC; Lucy offered Sasha's job so someone else without telling Sasha that she was fired. They're a fitting pair yesterday.

no i mean. what was Sasha fired for? i'm assuming her stint in Fernclif?

4 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Rena Sofer was gorgeous back in the day and still is. Her blue eyes are so striking with her dark hair. 👩🏻

she really is

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Am I missing something, when did the FBI become involved?  Or is the Department of Justice and the FBI and the SEC all the same poeple???

it might have just been a mistake on Cam's fault. and they didn't want to bother w/a retake. 

Carly and Drew clearly need to go back to kindergarten and get a refresher what right and wrong is. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Daisy said:

no i mean. what was Sasha fired for? i'm assuming her stint in Fernclif?

I assume stabbing Cody, her breakdowns and the bad publicity. Lucy doesn't want Deception associated with that.

But it would have been ethical to tell Sasha that they are dropping her before offering the job to someone else.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

The name Sonny Corinthos probably gets flagged whenever it comes up, so it's feasible (to me) that multiple agencies get involved where appropriate.

12 minutes ago, Daisy said:

what was Sasha fired for?

She hasn't been fired per se; Lucy wants to replace her as the Face of Deception to distance the company from all of the bad press Sasha has had. What's gross is neither Lucy nor Maxie has the guts to tell Sasha they want to replace her. I doubt it will send Sasha reeling, given she wants a clean start.

Or, what @statsgirl said above.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I assume stabbing Cody, her breakdowns and the bad publicity. Lucy doesn't want Deception associated with that.

But it would have been ethical to tell Sasha that they are dropping her before offering the job to someone else.

18 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What's gross is neither Lucy nor Maxie has the guts to tell Sasha they want to replace her. I doubt it will send Sasha reeling, given she wants a clean start.

ah i see. . I don't blame Lucy for that - but yeah. at least fire her first. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Drew: Whoever turned us in to the SEC knew that they would twist what we did into something bad.  (Drew, it was illegal. They don't have to twist it into something bad, it is bad.)

Carly: "That man is walking around free while you're going back to Pentonville for insider trading that you lost money on."  (As if that should absolve them of it. Well, you did something illegal but you didn't benefit from it so it's totes okay.)

Dumb and Dumber. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, jacourt said:

Lucy seems to think that they have blaze in their pocket. Meanwhile she is going to talk to her manager Brooklyn. Who they dumped. 

Brookly Lynn is t going to harbor any I’ll will. She knows she was wrong and deserved to be fired.

• Like 1

Awww the Ned and Lois flashbacks made this episode. Loved seeing them and Ned and Lois scenes.

Also made me remember when the show was so amazing, location shoots to Puerto Rico, Brooklyn wedding and NY sites. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Awww the Ned and Lois flashbacks made this episode. Loved seeing them and Ned and Lois scenes.

Also made me remember when the show was so amazing, location shoots to Puerto Rico, Brooklyn wedding and NY sites. 

I loved the flashbacks too.  Wow, I forgot WK had abs!  RS is still beautiful.

I also really enjoyed the scenes with Tracy and Gregory.

I'm glad to see Cyrus out of jail!  Unfortunately, he had a scene with Carly so I couldn't fast forward, otherwise all things Carly (and her adjacents) get the FFWD button.

I hope Sasha doesn't leave for good.  I hate when GH introduces a character and they're storyline just kinda peters out.  Like someone said above, we endured all that torture porn, just to see her leave?  I know it's a stretch, but after Nina and Willow's "relationship" blows up over the SEC nonsense, I'd like to see Sasha and Nina get closer and maybe even Willow eventually get jealous of their relationship.  Eh, I know, wishful thinking on my part.  

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Daisy said:
5 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

it might have just been a mistake on Cam's fault. and they didn't want to bother w/a retake. 

That’s what I’m thinking.  It’s the SEC, but I could have sworn I heard Drew say the FBI.  Either I heard wrong or Cameron said the wrong thing and they just rolled with it.

21 minutes ago, Jenxee said:

I forgot to mention this!  They were great.  Very good chemistry.  This is how adults interact.  Miles better than Alexis and her manic school girl routine.  I hate when they make her so juvenile when it comes to relationships.

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, Jenxee said:

So did I. JE and good writing bring such layers to Tracy. I really like how she shows sympathy and friendship to Gregory without pitying him. I liked how she said she was going to wipe the floor with him when she won again. That is treating Gregory like a regular person and not an invalid.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I forgot to mention this!  They were great.  Very good chemistry.  This is how adults interact.  Miles better than Alexis and her manic school girl routine.  I hate when they make her so juvenile when it comes to relationships.

I don't know if Alexis is juvenile in relationships, but I haven't seen her in any before now. It seems to me that she and Gregory are having a friendship relationship with playful attraction around the edges, and so it's different from his friendship with Tracy. .

Why couldn't Avery go to the wedding again, and please clue me in about the barge?

27 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

The barge is a holdover from the TWOP days. It basically means taking a break from watching the show. I

Thanks! I also apologize to all for double posting. I was trying to merge them but it didn't work. I was on the barge since the days of Holly, Robert, Anna, Luke, Sean and Tiffany, Robin and Stone. Nice to be on land for a bit!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Yes, GH's Golden Age! Welcome back Susannah!

Thank you, and it really was, wasn't it! I started watching again this summer to see Emma Samms. I know she has health issues but hopefully she will be able to visit again soon!

• Like 2

Arrrggghhh!!! 

Yesterday's episode: Drew says that whoever reported him and Carly to the SEC knew that the SEC would "twist what we did and make us look guilty" (my bolding). WHAT??? You don't "look" guilty, you are guilty! No "twisting" involved. Drew and Carly aren't Jean Valjean, stealing a loaf of bread to save someone from starvation. The only miscarriage of justice is that they were the only ones investigated and only Drew got convicted. This cognitive dissonance in the face of rules that anyone could look up is insane. I understand that many people rationalize their bad (or even criminal) behavior, but once you've been convicted, surely you have to consider that breaking the law even for "good" reasons is still punishable. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

surely you have to consider that breaking the law even for "good" reasons is still punishable. 

but, but, but Carly didn't make any money on the deal! She actually lost her hotel! And had to pay a $5 million fine! I mean, come on. How much more indignity can she be expected to suffer? And none if this, NONE! would have happened if that vengeful, husband-stealing harpy Nina hadn't reported them to the SEC. It's all HER fault! <sarc>

• Like 7
  • LOL 2