Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, superdeluxe said:

That’s where I’m at.  I’m like, “but she bullied your brother”.  In reality, he shouldn’t want anything to do with her.  I wouldn’t date anyone who bullied my siblings.

Or calls the same woman Grandmother.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
58 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

Or calls the same woman Grandmother.

Yes, but I think if Jake calls Laura "grandmother" it's out of respect more than anything.  I think originally Lucky's name was on the birth certificate but when Jake came back from the dead and everyone realized being Jason's son was no more dangerous than anything else, I think they changed the birth certificate to Jason.  I don't think he sees Laura as his grandmother anymore and I don't think we've seen them in any situation recently where they interacted as Grandmother/grandson.  Aiden does because he's actually her gandson and Cameron does because he has no other grandmother and would have spent the most amount of time as her "grandson" but Jake really doesn't.  

Ironically, despite this show giving babies to anyone with (or without in Molly's case!!)a working uterus, there are very few kids in that mid teen range.  Rocco, who is Charlotte's brother, Aiden who is her first cousin and Jake.  That's it.  

Georgie was born onscreen in 2013 so the character should only be 10 yrs old, though Eden Harker who is now playing her is 14 in real life.  So we'll see if they're about to age Georgie so she can be in that group.  She's not related to any of those boys.  

• Useful 1

I'm hoping Willow feeing so good is an anvil she'll have a terrible relapse, but I doubt that will happen.

The conversation Willow had with Wiley was way above what I'd think his comprehension level would be at this point.

Michael can spare me his guilt over wanting to take Sonny down. Ugh. He's such a turd.

I liked that Sonny made Michael work a bit for the apology. Well, it wasn't overt, but that's what Michael was saying.

"People let people down. That doesn't mean you have to destroy them." We'll see how strongly Michael believes that when it comes out that Nina told the SEC about Carly and Drew and insider trading.

OMG, Nina, Sonny was in custody for 72 hours. That's all. He was in a cell, not working in 100 degree weather on a chain gang. And now he's out and charges were (provisionally) dismissed. Sonny is fine. Behold your future, because this will happen again. Get a grip. She says she's okay with his life, but her actions say otherwise.

I can understand why Sasha might not want to eat anything, but not drinking water? Is that really so painful while detoxing?

Finn really needs to start parenting Violet. Willow shouldn't be trying to explain the concept of privacy to Violet.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The conversation Willow had with Wiley was way above what I'd think his comprehension level would be at this point.

Hey.  this is a kid, who at the age two was devastated, DEVASTATED I TELL YA, to hear his grandmother make a comment about Willow not being his real mother when 99.9% of kids that age woudn't have understood what the eff Grandma was talking about and would have been busy not giving a crap and playing with their toys.  He's a highly, highly intelligent child.  How dare you defame him in such a way. 

• LOL 16
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Michael can spare me his guilt over wanting to take Sonny down. Ugh. He's such a turd.

I hate him; he was more upset with Sonny for choosing Nina than he was for killing AJ.  Then again, Nina is much thinner.....

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought he was going to tell Sonny about the first flashdrive and potentially seal Dex' death warrant, but no, he just nattered on for what felt like 8768 hours and pussied out.  MB's expression was very much "where are you going with this".  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

So two stories are moving on hopefully to be wrapped up -- Sasha tortured by Dr, M, and Michael hating Sonny (at least until it's shown that Nina told the SEC)* and both of those things are way past time to end. I have to admit though, Duell did a good job with those scenes.

I like the relationship of Dante and Sam -- he knows that she can do shady things but that's all right with him.

I also like Charlotte and Jake working together to make a graphic novel, so much better than "You're cute, let's get together".  Yes, she bullied his brother but she was 9 years old at the time, I don't think that we should have to be responsible all our lives for what we did when we were 9. Also I most blame Michelle Stafford's Nina for giving Charlotte that entitlement.

Nice try Willow but someone needs to give Violet much more of a setdown than that.

* It just occurred to me that Carly must have had someone buy the Aurora shares for her, I can't see her knowledgeable enough to make that kind of purchase. In that case, whoever made the purchase for her should have asked questions about why suddenly such a large purchase of stock.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And way past the time he should have been in bed and asleep.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm sorry that the writers haven't been able to come up with a viable story line for NC before he leaves.  As a fan, I find it frustrating to have had his talent come to light on GH, then gain him a non-soap role---only to have the writers send him into an endless loop of the same dialogue about his little brother, just because he won't be there forever. (Note to writers---none of them will.)  Good actors like acting challenges.  Giving NC nothing to do is a great way to make sure he never wants to come back.

Also disappointed not to have had a visit from Cam by now.  I wonder if the fact that they don't know what to do with Spencer has had fallout for Cameron.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

* It just occurred to me that Carly must have had someone buy the Aurora shares for her, I can't see her knowledgeable enough to make that kind of purchase. In that case, whoever made the purchase for her should have asked questions about why suddenly such a large purchase of stock.

Yeah, but Carly just steamrollers over everyone.  They could ask questions, but she was determined to buy the stock.

• Like 4

Michael is such an asswipe. Me think Sonny thinks that Michael is the one who turned the evidence against him.

Violet is one of the most obnoxious TV children out there. The worst part is that they will send her from child to preteen/teenager who is dating without allowing her any growth in between.

What this show has done to Sasha is pure torture. I don't understand why they have it out for the character like that.

• Like 5

I liked the Sonny/Michael conversation. I also thought Michael was gonna confess but he wimped out at the end. I think Chad does better when Michael likes Sonny than when Michael’s angry with Sonny. CD’s acting skills are quite limited so I’m glad his anger arc is wrapping up . . . . at least until the truth is revealed. I hope Sonny already suspects Michael and Dex. Dex was way too eager to join the organization back then, and I thought Sonny was on to him. 

I love Nina but it shouldn’t have taken a text to get her to leave Sonny and Michael alone for a minute! If Gladys hadn’t texted, was she really just going stand there? 😂 

The Cody/Sasha scenes were good! I hope that story is wrapping up as well. Gladys needs to be in jail for what she’s done to Sasha. Dr. Montague too! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Me think Sonny thinks that Michael is the one who turned the evidence against him.

Didn't Sonny tell Nina that he thinks the drive that Brick worked up was what the feds used as evidence against him, and they figured out it was fake?

2 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I love Nina but it shouldn’t have taken a text to get her to leave Sonny and Michael alone for a minute! If Gladys hadn’t texted, was she really just going stand there? 😂 

That cracked me up. Read the room, lady! And then they had Michael awkwardly say Nina couldn't get away fast enough. Not exactly!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Didn't Sonny tell Nina that he thinks the drive that Brick worked up was what the feds used as evidence against him, and they figured out it was fake?

He did. But that was also before Michael showed up and started yapping.

• Useful 1
50 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Me think Sonny thinks that Michael is the one who turned the evidence against him.

Yes.  I thought at one point, Mo was definetely playing it that way.  Sonny spoke up and said "Michael...."and I thought he was going to come right out and ask if he had done something, but then he said something else.  

43 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:
51 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Sonny set up Betty to give Austin the drive to give to the Pautauk boss.  Sonny doesn't know who the boss is yet.  which is why for a minute today, it looked like Sonny might be thinking Michael was that person.  The Feds only realized everything was a fake when they opened the Pikeman cases and found coffee and not weapons like they thought would be there.  

Makes the Feds look like idiots that they arrested, held and brought Sonny to court before even opening the crates to confirm what they had.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
31 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Makes the Feds look like idiots that they arrested, held and brought Sonny to court before even opening the crates to confirm what they had. 

It really does. They should have opened the cases there in the warehouse to see what they are instead of transporting them and opening them a day later.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

Gladys is sickening, need her gone permanently.  She let the doctor pump an addict of drugs to point of withdrawal and ages blaming Cody? Then gonna spew her crap to Nina that Cody is working with the doctor? 

Michael suddenly cares about how he would have faced his family? Like he cares about anyone but mommy. Suddenly he realizes the horror he is?  He's his mother's son he'll still treat him and Nina bad. 

Sonny spent 75 hours in lockup? What happened to his claustrophobia? 

They talk to Willey about trials? 

What's Jake's last name? Was he not legally a Spencer? 

• Like 3

A bit awkward when Chase told Kristina that her sister's softball skills made up for her brother not being there ~said brother and sister being a couple and all. 

Why did Cody not arrange medical care for Sasha? The evil doctor was clearly giving her repeated high doses of some kind of downer/benzo and you can die coming off those cold turkey. I guess they need the alone time to fall in luv or something.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yes, she bullied his brother but she was 9 years old at the time, I don't think that we should have to be responsible all our lives for what we did when we were 9.

Same. I'm not sure if the two kids' ages have been kept consistent, but even in our world, it was almost five years ago. Soap opera little-kid (mis)behavior is only a strike against them to me if it carries over and tells us something about the character when older. 

Plus, I think 9-year-old Charlotte thought she had good intentions, didn't she? I remember her saying something like she tries to get Aiden to act the "right" way. I'm not disputing that it was bullying, but I don't think she really was trying to hurt him. Now, her behavior toward Ava (planting the snake and all that) was malicious...but, again, soap little-kid stuff.  

• Like 2

I can’t figure out if the writers love or hate Sasha. On the one hand, her SLs are depressing as hell and she never gets a win. On the other hand, she joined the cast in 2019 and got an immediate story as a con artist pretending to be Nina’s daughter, an drug addiction in 2020, dead baby in 2021, relapse, mental breakdown and murdered husband in 2022, and being scammed out of her money and drugged in 2023. She’s led more SLs than some who’ve been around for decades and though they haven’t panned out for the actress, a lot of those are classic Emmy bait stories. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

It really does! Who arrests someone on such charges before they even open the crates!

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Why did Cody not arrange medical care for Sasha? The evil doctor was clearly giving her repeated high doses of some kind of downer/benzo and you can die coming off those cold turkey.

I agree but how could he have done that, with being a fugitive from the law? It was pretty rich hearing Gladys accuse Cody of doing every single thing to Sasha that she herself has done. Can't wait to see her and Dr M in jail.

• Like 7

Why would Jake show up to Charlie's with Charlotte like that? I guess he actually wants his family to know they're dating, but he could have kept it quiet.

Maybe the writers are trying to toughen Sasha up by throwing so many obstacles in her way.  If it means that the character continues to grow and evolve, then it might be worth it in the long run.

I really dislike how they have mishandled the Esme character.  I was hoping that she would regain her former memories and personality at some point, but now it just feels like they don't know what to do with her or are dragging their feet with this storyline.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Good thing Elizabeth cheated on Lucky or Jake and Charlotte would be cousins.  So, an almost-Spenser and a Cassadine/Spenser.  

Yes, good thing Elizabeth had a one night stand after she caught her abuser cheating on her twice in the same day.

• LOL 1
On 9/7/2023 at 5:45 AM, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

I don't know whether it was a retcon or the replacement writers not knowing the history, but that scene of Michael and Kristina was weird. She said M must have realized by 10 years old that his father wasn't a coffee importer, and then he said something about Dad always keeping his business hidden from his kids. That's not how I remember it. Wasn't there a scene where Tamara Braun explained to the little red-haired Michael that Daddy and Jason have to kill people sometimes but they're still good people, like soldiers in the armed forces? Then, wasn't Michael always very aware and pleased about being part of a mob family, even trying to order someone killed once? 

The Michael/Sonny scene yesterday was more of the same. Michael now "always suspected" Sonny might have something else going on besides coffee importing, but he didn't know the full truth until he was in high school.

They're really going hard on the retcon, although I don't know why. Are there are a lot of new, younger GH viewers [insert laughter] who would find this revised version more palatable?

Michael wasn't even in high school yet when he took the bullet to the head, was he? 

Whatever, I was like Annie Wilkes, yelling, "That's not what happened!" 

6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I can’t figure out if the writers love or hate Sasha.

I think it's the actress, not the character. They like Sofia M. because she does "suffering" well, like Rebecca Herbst, and she's glamorous enough to be believable as a model. If they didn't like her so much, Sasha would have been gone long ago. There have been several good spots to write her out, and she's not exactly the most connected character on canvas. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I can’t figure out if the writers love or hate Sasha. On the one hand, her SLs are depressing as hell and she never gets a win. On the other hand, she joined the cast in 2019 and got an immediate story as a con artist pretending to be Nina’s daughter, an drug addiction in 2020, dead baby in 2021, relapse, mental breakdown and murdered husband in 2022, and being scammed out of her money and drugged in 2023. She’s led more SLs than some who’ve been around for decades and though they haven’t panned out for the actress, a lot of those are classic Emmy bait stories. 

That is very true about her leading her own storylines. Unlike say Carly who gets shoved into other people's stories.

I'm actually surprised that she isn't in on Sasha's rescue.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I really hope they are not going to try and redeem Gladys.  I want her in prison or dead.  I don't want her on the screen anymore screeching and lying about Cody.  I have a terrible feeling they are not writing her out though. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
7 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

The Michael/Sonny scene yesterday was more of the same. Michael now "always suspected" Sonny might have something else going on besides coffee importing, but he didn't know the full truth until he was in high school.

They're really going hard on the retcon, although I don't know why.

Probably to fold him back into the Carlys web once the whistleblower truth comes out and Nina is given life in prison without parole for that indefensible crime.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

IMO, they backed off Michael trying to take down Sonny because they weren’t expecting people to hate it as much as they did and since they don’t know how to write him out of it if he’s exposed, they’re going to keep a secret between him, Carly, Joss and Dex.

There’s not that many Michael and Carly fans who also hate Sonny and those were the only ones really siding with him. They probably thought it was going to be like when Michael went against Sonny for murdering AJ but they missed the fact that the Qs had a lot of fans who hated Sonny/Carly and he was going against both Sonny and Carly during that SL. Trying to send Sonny to jail because he cheated on his mother and they split up for the thousandth time made him look childish and having him act like he was doing it because he’s always been anti-mob flies in the face of decades worth of writing for Michael. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, katie9918 said:

Man, they really trashed Lucky to justify that bit of sleaze, didn’t they?

6 hours ago, lilabennet said:

Nope.  He's been abusing her since he came back from the dead.  No trashing involved, Lucky was in character that entire arc.

Disagree. Guza was trashing Lucky since JJ first step out of the role in 1999 and Jacob Young took over, often to prop up Jasus if he was involved. After Lucky and Liz broke up, she went on to marry Nic Lansing, slept with Zander again (where Cam was conceived), got remarried and later divorced from Ric and was a single mother for nearly a year before Liz and Lucky got back together when he was GV. Then they decided to have Liz/Jason get back together, but Lucky was in the way, so they turned Lucky into a drug addict solely to make Jason blameless when he slept with Liz and allowed Lucky think that he was Jake's bio dad. I'll take my proof of Lucky being trashed vs "in character" to the history thread in a few hours. If it Jason vs anyone, "anyone" would get trashed. And if his character wasn't getting ruined, then in theory, not character can get ruined in service to another. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Trying to send Sonny to jail because he cheated on his mother and they split up for the thousandth time made him look childish and having him act like he was doing it because he’s always been anti-mob flies in the face of decades worth of writing for Michael. 

Yep.  This could have worked with better motivation, or some sort of character growth beforehand.  The way it is now, it's just a petty son throwing a temper tantrum. 

• Like 6

MMV but I like Violet. She is a tiny bit precocious, but IMO not obnoxious. Her question to Willow was a good one, about why anyone would come to a busy restaurant to have privacy. The kid I do not like is James. He comes off as too entitled just for being him, and everyone treats him that way. Example is the episode where Sam brings wine and ice cream to Maxie's. James and Georgie are fighting. Maxie sends Georgie to her bedroom, and not only allows just James to be rewarded with ice cream, but then Maxie told him he would have the bedroom to himself, and James thanked her, as though it was his room all along. I do not like to see parents favoring boys over girls, and that happens often with Maxie. I get the vibe she doesn't even like Georgie. I have heard them refer to a third child, but I have never seen her. I also like Avery, and how she didn't let Betty push her around.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

I liked Gladys before they threw her under the bus to facilitate this Cody/Sasha "romance".

The only reason Gladys hates Cody, though, is because he knew she was siphoning off Sasha's money to pay her gambling debts. That's why she set him up with that whole stupid bracelet thing at the Nurse's Ball. I don't think she'd be against Cody and Sasha otherwise.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, susannah said:

I do not like to see parents favoring boys over girls, and that happens often with Maxie. I get the vibe she doesn't even like Georgie. I have heard them refer to a third child, but I have never seen her.

Maxie's third child is Bailey. She had her with Peter/Heinrich after a very, very long pregnancy. It seemed she was pregnant for a year and a half, but the COVID shutdown might have been part of the reason.  

I guess Bailey isn't on much because she's in the awkward range. She's two, so not a baby (like Ace, who's on all the time) and yet not old enough to be played by a kid who can take direction.

Edited by NotMySekrit2Tell
Embarrassed I "misgendered" Bailey!
  • Like 2

Yeah . . . I'm not sure if I said it on this forum but Michael - or rather CD's portrayal of Michael - works better when he's Sonny's ally than when he's Sonny's enemy. I didn't even like him when he was angry about AJ though that made much more sense than this recent temper tantrum. Plus, if the FD is found and somehow put back together, they would need Michael and Sonny (and Dex) to be in a good place for the "betrayal" story to work.

-----------------

Anyway, Maxie was on fire today! I loved it! I picked a fairly decent day to watch the show. LOL! I always thought the blackmail Tracy had over Brook Lynn was lame. Who cares if Chase learns some strings were pulled to get him a second interview? Big friggin' whoop! Brook Lynn had no faith in Chase to let herself be blackmailed w/that nonsense, and if Chase had dumped her for that, then screw him! And Maxie is better than me b/c not only would Brook Lynn be fired, but I would be speaking to an attorney about corporate espionage and if she could be criminally charged! 

Thank goodness this horrific Sasha/Gladys/Dr. Montague plot seems to be coming to an end. It's been an awful and disgusting story. I don't mind soaps pushing the limits but Gladys has been pretty much ruined by this story. She's a trash human being. This storyline is sick and needed to end! But then I also thought Ava switching Morgan's meds was sick, and Carly drugging AJ and making him think he had relapsed was sick. I guess if those stories are anything to go by, Gladys is going nowhere! Ugh! Well, I still hope she goes after this! She's not needed, esp. not now!  

I didn't mind the CarSon scenes. 

This could be an interesting story for Dante w/the FBI suspecting him. I wonder if Chase will say anything to him? 

Can someone explain me why Jordan was yelling at Mac about the convicts and the Sonny thing? Why is a failed FBI bust Mac's fault or problem? All they can do is look for the escapees. What more does Jordan want? 

• Like 4

Yesterday's show... SM may not be the world's best actor but have to give her credit, when it comes to crying, screaming and all that - she goes all in and doesn't hold back. 🙂

I could like Sasha and Cody but they need to get the paternity thing out in the open. They can't really redeem Cody until he comes clean. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

So, an almost-Spenser and a Cassadine/Spenser.  

A Webber/Quartermain and a Cassadine/Spencer.  

17 hours ago, Artsda said:

What's Jake's last name?

Dr Google has both Jake Webber and Jake Spencer.  

35 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Anyway, Maxie was on fire today!

Except for her clothes.  She looked like she got out bed, didn't bother to shower, just threw her hair up, grabbed a sweater from the bottom of the laudry basket and went out in public.  I don't know why wardrobe thought that was good choice.  

36 minutes ago, lala2 said:

What more does Jordan want?

Eh, it was a plot point to have Jordan and Chase in the room when the FBI said he has his suspicions about Dante.  i mean, I get thatJordan is the ex commisioner but as the deputy mayor she doesn't really have any business at the PCPD anymore.  

37 minutes ago, tessaray said:

SM may not be the world's best actor but have to give her credit, when it comes to crying, screaming and all that - she goes all in and doesn't hold back

She did some good work today too, when she was trying to understand how long Monty's been drugging her.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Can someone explain me why Jordan was yelling at Mac about the convicts and the Sonny thing?

They have to give Jordan something else to do besides wait for an egg to be possibly fertilized.

The Maxie/BL scenes were very well done, I thought. 

How many times do the characters on this show need to be blackmailed to learn that it never stops with the first payment? It's so frustrating to watch them be shocked—shocked!—that the blackmail is ongoing. Of course it is! 

I really didn't like Dante ranting about how terrible a person Gladys is when he's just fine with his father, the mob boss and killer. I hate this show.

3 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

[Sofia Mattson] did some good work today too, when she was trying to understand how long Monty's been drugging her.  

I agree. I also like that it was written so that Cody wasn't just telling her what happened; she had time to absorb the whole thing.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
58 minutes ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

Maxie's third child is another boy, Bailey. She had him with Peter/Heinrich after a very, very long pregnancy. It seemed she was pregnant for a year and a half, but the COVID shutdown might have been part of the reason.  

I guess Bailey isn't on much because he's in the awkward range. He's two, so not a baby (like Ace, who's on all the time) and yet not old enough to be played by a kid who can take direction.

Bailey Lu is a girl child. They're easy to ignore.

• LOL 1

Whatever happened to miracle child Bailey?  Mac and Flea couldn't be watching her, because they were with Maxie, Georgie and James.  Did they forget her somewhere (Port Charles Zoo)?  Or was she at an endless sleepover? 

• LOL 3

I have only been watching GH again, not since the 80s, from this summer, so don't know the history of Bailey Lu or any of Maxie's kids, for that matter! I said in an earlier post that wardrobe is not being kind to Maxie, she always looks like she has been sleeping on the street, ratty clothes, unwashed hair, etc. I do like how she had a come to Jesus meeting with Brook Lynn today, and no mistake!

Also that the ranks of all who care about Sasha are gathering around her to help her. I like Sasha. I don't know if Cody is a good or bad guy but I love how he is rescuing Sasha.

Jane Elliott is pure fabulousness. That is all!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Lucy/Tracy and the quartet of Dante/Sam/Sasha/Cody were probably the most interesting part of the show for me. Maxie/BLQ wasn't bad either, although I think that Maxie will be eating crow at some point since it seems like the whole deceptor thing was stolen and Tracy will be just laughing in several faces about it.

Lucy would rather keep the 1% from ELQ than have 49% of her company. Tracy was not wrong when she called her a grifter.

And here comes Carly in the Pikeman storyline to tangle with Cyrus and Austin while Nina sits in a corner and seethes with jealousy. Exactly what this show needs.

• Like 1