Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watch Lottery Dream Home with David Bromstad so I'm used to the tattoos; although they usually turn me off, I like David well enough to get past his.

I also dislike open shelving.  Not only dust, but random grease which makes dust stick, and pet hair.  When our dog was still alive, we had dog hair everywhere, no matter how much I cleaned.  Looks good in a magazine, but in reality, no way.

• Love 14
On 3/11/2021 at 5:03 AM, Shelbie said:

I can’t even imagine cleaning all that brick around the stove.  It didn’t seem designed for a real family to cook in but a kitchen to wow your friends with while you order takeout.

I agree. Cook on that stove and then try cleaning splattered grease and spaghetti sauce off those bricks. I thought the judges' critique of Nate and Jeremiah's open shelving was spot on - not functional for families with children. But that brick is not functional for anyone who cooks. And I agree with whoever said it was a bad decision to put the shelves over the windows in David and Tiffany's design.

I love David but he has overdone it on the tattoos. 

And I love Jeremiah. Nate and his then-partner were in Thailand when that big tsunami hit and his partner died. When Jeremiah and Nate were in the process of getting their baby boy through a surrogate, Jeremiah suggested to Nate that they name the baby after Nate's ex (they used his middle name). They also had a photo of Nate's ex on display with their other family photos. Jeremiah said Nate's ex was an important part of Nate's life and should be remembered. Nate said something like, "Now you can see why I married Jeremiah." I honestly don't know that if I were in a position like that, whether I would be confident enough to want my husband's ex's photo around, much less name a child after her. Jeremiah is a good soul.

• Love 18

I liked all of them, but I liked the Florida couple's kitchen the best.  It was elegant, family friendly and the pantry cabinets were a nice touch.  IMO, their only con was their design was unoriginal and "safe".  I would expect to see it in a high end home.  I loved that the Design Star team flipped the spaces and added the window in the dining room.  I didn't care for the green cabinetry or the shelves blocking the windows.  I think the lack of upper cabinets and all the crap on the open shelves made the walls looks too busy and distracted from the backsplash.  I love Nate and Jeramiah as people, but I think their designs are a bit out of touch with reality.  The island top was beautiful, but I can totally see a child hitting their on head on those custom corners.  The open shelving was ugly and I didn't care for the lighting attached to them.  I felt like they could have made better use of the area and it wasn't practical as Tarek had pointed out.  And finally, Allison...I did like the brick archway, but that was about it.  I think it felt out of place because it didn't tie into the rest of the room.  Also, the ceiling beams closed in the space.  The dining room looked completely forgotten and looked like they tried to throw something together at the last minute. I'm so glad Mike insisted on not painting the brick.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, buttersister said:

The open shelves and the brick by the cooktop were non-starters for me. Because, I cook.

But then, as judges, Tarek and his fiancé don't exactly impress (me, anyway).

Couldn't agree more.  Tarek , what are you thinking?  

19 hours ago, Kip1 said:

I agree. Cook on that stove and then try cleaning splattered grease and spaghetti sauce off those bricks. I thought the judges' critique of Nate and Jeremiah's open shelving was spot on - not functional for families with children. But that brick is not functional for anyone who cooks. And I agree with whoever said it was a bad decision to put the shelves over the windows in David and Tiffany's design.

I love David but he has overdone it on the tattoos. 

And I love Jeremiah. Nate and his then-partner were in Thailand when that big tsunami hit and his partner died. When Jeremiah and Nate were in the process of getting their baby boy through a surrogate, Jeremiah suggested to Nate that they name the baby after Nate's ex (they used his middle name). They also had a photo of Nate's ex on display with their other family photos. Jeremiah said Nate's ex was an important part of Nate's life and should be remembered. Nate said something like, "Now you can see why I married Jeremiah." I honestly don't know that if I were in a position like that, whether I would be confident enough to want my husband's ex's photo around, much less name a child after her. Jeremiah is a good soul.

The most functional kitchen was Brian and Mika's.  It also left  it so you could accent with any color you wanted.  

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Well that was unexpected.  That was an ugly entrance.

Yes, it was. But, I think by adding a bedroom with ensuite bath and a mud room, David and Tiffany did add the most value to their home.

• Love 10

I figured David and Tiffany’s extra bedroom and full bath would put them over the top, but I really hated the entryway with the black paint and peacock wallpaper. 

So far, the only house I’d want to live in is Brian and Mika’s. I like their style. All the others look like magazine showplaces to me instead of places I’d want to live in. 

• Love 18

That hallway was 🤮but the reconfiguration won it with added value. OTOH, I still don’t understand how melting glass jars into a bowl, ADDED VALUE to a house, Tarek.

I'm disappointed in Mika and Brian, their rooms were a snooze.

I know this is subjective, but Nate and Jeremiah’s place is stunning. Complete with warm-looking, cozy places to sit. Move me in. Well, first, move that house off that block. Then I’ll change the kitchen glass shelves into cabinets.😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

That hallway was 🤮but the reconfiguration won it with added value. OTOH, I still don’t understand how melting glass jars into a bowl, ADDED VALUE to a house, Tarek.

I'm disappointed in Mika and Brian, their rooms were a snooze.

I know this is subjective, but Nate and Jeremiah’s place is stunning. Complete with warm-looking, cozy places to sit. Move me in. Well, first, move that house off that block. Then I’ll change the kitchen glass shelves into cabinets.😂

I am not big on the black and white marble floor of N&J and there shelving in the kitchen was a no go for me.  It was shelving that sat on counters. To tell you the truth none of the living spaces blew me away tonight at all.  

• Love 2
On 3/13/2021 at 11:52 PM, tinderbox said:

I despise open shelving.  I just can’t imagine having all of our dishes, glassware, etc. sitting out on an open shelf for the world to see while getting dusty if not used frequently.  They are so impractical.

What do people think of open shelving in the bathroom? I'm thinking about adding four 24 in shelves in my bathroom, two on each side of the bathroom mirror.

I loved that David and Tiffany added the mud room and made the reading nook in the living room and especially the mother in law suite.  That being said... just no to the peacock and black entrance and definitely no to the way they decorated the living room. 

Mostly no to the way Tiffany was acting.  I'm not a fan of OTT people ..she reminded me of the nurse on Tough as Nails.  My goodness Tiffany you didn't win the lottery for crying out loud.  

Mike and Allison - snooze fest and I hated that dark green.  Mike should have pushed for a different color.

Mika and Brian are just too boring.  They need to step it up.  I like them a lot and enjoy their show.

Nate and Jeremiah - beautiful!  But they design for themselves and their house would be for a professional couple without children.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I loved that David and Tiffany added the mud room and made the reading nook in the living room and especially the mother in law suite.  That being said... just no to the peacock and black entrance and definitely no to the way they decorated the living room. 

Mostly no to the way Tiffany was acting.  I'm not a fan of OTT people ..she reminded me of the nurse on Tough as Nails.  My goodness Tiffany you didn't win the lottery for crying out loud.  

Mike and Allison - snooze fest and I hated that dark green.  Mike should have pushed for a different color.

Mika and Brian are just too boring.  They need to step it up.  I like them a lot and enjoy their show.

Nate and Jeremiah - beautiful!  But they design for themselves and their house would be for a professional couple without children.

N&J definitely design for themselves.  The black and white floor did nothing for me except remind me of a 50's diner and flashbacks of my Grandmother's kitchen.  The expensive fireplace looked like it was all show and wasn't a working fireplace.  That is a waste.  The powder room sink was way too small and deep.  I just want to wash my hands.  Totally impractical.  They also had no side tables in their living space.  and M&A used logs.  Boo for both of them.  They all used white and tan furniture with pillows and throws the same color.  Boring.  M&A had zero storage.  Should have been some by fireplace.  I wasn't blown away by any of the living spaces.  I just expected more.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, nb360 said:

What do people think of open shelving in the bathroom? I'm thinking about adding four 24 in shelves in my bathroom, two on each side of the bathroom mirror.

I have hanging cabinets above and behind the toilet that hold all my toiletries and misc.  My sink is also a cabinet and drawers so I never had open shelves in a bathroom but I would think steam from shower would make them and whatever you have on them dirty.  You might have to wipe them down frequently.

• Love 1

I loved the black and white tile in Nate and Jeremiah’s house, and I LOVED the iron and glass doors.  I couldn’t live there (not my colors), but I really thought it was beautiful.  Brian and Mika’s rooms looked cheap next to everyone else’s.  So glad Alison lost.  I didn’t mind the black paint, but I couldn’t live with giant birds greeting me at the front door.  They won because they added the bedroom with the attached bathroom...the wallpaper could always be stripped.

• Love 8

I loved that David and Tiffany changed the half bath into a full bathroom, and added the in-law suite.   I thought the bird wallpaper was nice, not that I'd want it in my house (I loathe wallpaper).

M & A's living room was awful with the bookcases in that green, and the arches.    She did the same look in the 2 story condo she did in Chicago (sold at a big loss too).   The green bookcases didn't coordinate with anything in the rest of the room, and I hated the corbels.

Mika and Bryan's office was awful, and they entire design this week looked cheap.  It looked like staging for a model home, and as if it was done on the 

Nate and Jeremiah's was elegant, but did it have a purpose?    It looked like a room planned to be photographed for a magazine, but never used.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

Mika and Bryan's house looks too cheap and builder grade. I loved Tiffany and David's entrance, book nook area and main floor suite. Iron doors seem to be a Nate and Jeremiah go to design, though I can totally see why. Mike was right that the front room's shelving needed to be a different colour. Those corbels were stupid and they wasted money on the iron newels. I was disappointed with all the boring powder rooms. 

• Love 5

Welp, there wasn't much suspense in this episode. Once the Design Stars team outlined their plans to add a mother-in-law suite, with full bathroom, and a mudroom, short of having some sort of construction disaster, they were going to win. They were the only ones adding usable, valuable space. The rest were just... decorating. Didn't the other teams learn anything from Jasmine's win in Season 1?

I do think they should've won, as they were the only ones who really transformed the space and made it better, structurally. That said, wow. That entry... Yikes. I think that $2000 should be given to anyone who might actually buy this house - Are these houses meant to last beyond production? They seem obviously built just for this show. - so they can fix that entryway. Mind you, I love color and am really tired of the white-gray-black palette (Get over it, Tarek.) so over-used on HGTV. But, geeze, that entryway was an assault on the eyes. That judge called out one of the other teams for using a color that made their work, perhaps, too customized - I think it was Alison and Mike for the green shelving. What is it with these judges and green? I love green! - so I think some stronger words to the wise on that point to the winning team would've been in order. We get it, guys, you like color and boldness. No need to smack us in the face with it.

I actually liked Nate and Jeremiah's best this week. That was beautiful and high-end, but, still, not practical for most families. These guys and, really, the other two losing teams, need to up their game in terms of really transforming and adding value to these spaces. They're not gonna win just by decorating.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Mika and Bryan's house looks too cheap and builder grade. I loved Tiffany and David's entrance, book nook area and main floor suite. Iron doors seem to be a Nate and Jeremiah go to design, though I can totally see why. Mike was right that the front room's shelving needed to be a different colour. Those corbels were stupid and they wasted money on the iron newels. I was disappointed with all the boring powder rooms. 

Agree.  Nobody had a "wow" powder room. Disappointing.  The corbels for M&A looked out of place.  I also didn't like how everyone  used all beige and white furniture and accented it with the same color.  It was blah.  N&J are clearly out of their comfort zone.  Every piece they keep buying is something ancient, something imported from God knows where.  Sorry I wasn't impressed.  The doors were nice but the checkered floor gave me flashbacks of Grandma's.  I also do not like stone fireplaces, like D&T and B&M.  Well there is always next week.

• Love 1

I don't remember the original budget, but the Design Stars team must be outspending everyone else with the addition of the full bath and mudroom this week and flopping the entire kitchen/dining room last week. Thankfully, it will be easy to repaint the hideous ombre stairs and the peacock wallpaper can be removed. Will they have any money left by the time we get to guest bedrooms and curb appeal?

• Love 1

Maybe Mika and Brian are saving their dough for a knockout move. 😂 Like a pool. Or a she shed. Or adding 3 new rooms, because so far, zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Not sure what show they think they’re on.

Our lobby has white and grey marble tiles, I like them. But I like classic and elegant, as long as there’s a warmth and coziness involved. Not mutually exclusive, mmv.

Hard pass on corbels, glass shelves  and peacocks, though. 

• Love 8
On 3/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, justdoit10 said:

It was overload with horrible peacock wall paper.

I loved the peacock wallpaper! I want that cheetah painting from their living room. I’m glad they won although I loved Nate and Jeremiah’s place, too. The sun room opening into the butler’s pantry was beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I didn’t mind the peacock wall paper but the black wall was awful. Also thought David and Tiffany’s living room was not decorated nicely. The MIL suite added value but looked kind of too much in a small space. Where are Nate and Jeremiah getting money for antiques from France? There rooms are lovely but too fancy for most families.

Mika and Brian had a nice kitchen but their living room was boring. 

• Love 3

The peacock wallpaper was not my taste but it was all right - until they put those big black and white pictures over it! The added space won it for them. Why did the garage open into the living room anyway?

That soapdish in Nate and Jeremiah's powder room - yeah, that was going to be fun to keep clean. All the antique stuff seemed to be not something to waste money on.

Brian was in TAR 15??? Being in Florida, I like their stuff, even if it is very model house. I have one of those weird front rooms that you can't do anything with and it's a waste.

• Love 5
On 3/14/2021 at 12:45 AM, LittleIggy said:

I can’t watch Pit Bulls and Parolees because of those women (the main women’s daughters, I think) covered in tattoos, particularly on the neck and chest. I can’t stand men or women covered in tattoos.

Yes!  I tape and watch this show and her neck tattoos are so distracting and awful. She was wearing some lovely outfit with off the shoulder sleeves the last time I watched and it just accentuates the ugliness.

David's are bad too, they're just everywhere. 

• Love 3

Is it just me noticing that they're all in the same clothes in every scene in both episodes so far? David in the pink track suit, Allison in the beige v-neck sweater, etc. Do they each have a closetful of the same outfit for the entire show? Assuming that at least some of these scenes are filmed on different days, what gives? Not an earth shattering observation on my point, but still odd!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Booney said:

Is it just me noticing that they're all in the same clothes in every scene in both episodes so far? David in the pink track suit, Allison in the beige v-neck sweater, etc. Do they each have a closetful of the same outfit for the entire show? Assuming that at least some of these scenes are filmed on different days, what gives? Not an earth shattering observation on my point, but still odd!

I thought they wore the same thing for editing purposes and filming on the same day.

• Love 4

N & J - their designs are so taste specific.  They don't really add value to a home, they add design.  I wasn't impressed with their front room.  It looked like a converted porch with way too much stuff.  On the flip side, their living room was very underwhelming with the exception of the French doors and fireplace.  I was surprised nothing was done with the spindles. 

B & M - I wish they would have done something more with every room.  The office and powder room looked like something you'd see in every model home.  I liked the fireplace, ceiling and French doors in their living room, but again, it just seemed to be missing originality or a "wow" factor. 

A & M - I liked that they changed the stair spindles.  I wish Mike would have put his foot down about the dark green bookcases matching the dark green walls.  The room was too dark and looked twice as small.  And no one wants a "bourbon room." It would have looked better if it was staged as an office.  I liked their powder room and their living room sans the furniture.  

D & T -  Just like Nate and Jeramiah, their designs are way too buyer specific.  The peacock wall paper was so ugly! I liked the MIL suite and I loved that they added the mud room!  I didn't care for the living room, decor or furniture.  But, they definitely deserved to win.  They did add the most value because of the added bedroom, 3/4 bath and mudroom.  Thankfully, the ugliest parts can be changed with paint.

• Love 5

I liked the peacock wallpaper when I saw it connected to the color of the kitchen cabinets but I hated the black wall and ombré stairs.  Way too much.  

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, LBS said:

I liked the peacock wallpaper when I saw it connected to the color of the kitchen cabinets but I hated the black wall and ombré stairs.  Way too much.  

I totally agree. I think any one of the peacock wallpaper, the black wall or the ombre stairs would have been fine. David and Tiffany need to learn how to edit.

• Love 13

I hated the ugly sink in N&J’s powder room.  Actually, I hated the entire design of their powder room.

I can’t figure out where and how T&D acquired the space to add the Mother in Law’s suite and mud room without cutting the other original spaces down to practically nothing.  I guess I’d have to see it, in person, to understand.  

So, where exactly did B&M put the door they “stole” from Allison?  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Lilacly said:

I thought Alison's kitchen looked familiar and it came to me that it was nearly identical to Selena Gomez's kitchen. Especially if Alison had chosen to paint the brick.

image.thumb.png.9b287ac831398bdeabdfe6a7eb8ec2da.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.1cee5d0086c21a62798f5a05a3981bef.jpeg

I didn't like this kitchen at all.  I hate the monstrosity pizza oven look.  It looks dated and there is no working space next to the oven.  I don't know how Tarek pick this to win.  It is also connected to their living room space  that has the sleek white fireplace so they don't go together at all.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, justdoit10 said:

I didn't like this kitchen at all.  I hate the monstrosity pizza oven look.  It looks dated and there is no working space next to the oven.  I don't know how Tarek pick this to win.  It is also connected to their living room space  that has the sleek white fireplace so they don't go together at all.  

Selena’s brickwork looks as if it was done by someone she hired off a street corner! 😬

• Love 2
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Selena’s brickwork looks as if it was done by someone she hired off a street corner! 😬

Oh, I'd say it was definitely intentional. All those nicks and chips and gouges to make it seem rustic and authentic, but only make it seem more inauthentic.

• Love 5

I love watching this show, but, after the first season, we all know that they are going to pick everyone instead of one who wins 3 or 4 rooms.  Don't want to dis any of the HGTV Stars.  🙂

• Love 1
On 3/19/2021 at 12:15 AM, tinderbox said:

I hated the ugly sink in N&J’s powder room.  Actually, I hated the entire design of their powder room.

I can’t figure out where and how T&D acquired the space to add the Mother in Law’s suite and mud room without cutting the other original spaces down to practically nothing.  I guess I’d have to see it, in person, to understand.  

Agreed. I hate all bowl sinks. 

Tiffany and David’s 2nd living room/family room was much smaller after the renovations. I thought that would count against them, but obviously it didn’t. 

• Love 5

In some of the big houses, OK McMansions, the 'living room' is tiny, and only for a few people sitting in there.  The main area is the great room/family room attached to the kitchen, or dining area, and with the family room off of it.  It's where the family really lives, and the living room is just for occasional use. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

In some of the big houses, OK McMansions, the 'living room' is tiny, and only for a few people sitting in there.  The main area is the great room/family room attached to the kitchen, or dining area, and with the family room off of it.  It's where the family really lives, and the living room is just for occasional use. 

Also whichever room has the television... I don't know if I'm in a tiny .0000001% that doesn't spend lots of time in my kitchen or if there is a silent majority out there.

• Love 9
On 3/18/2021 at 11:15 PM, tinderbox said:

The Mother in Law suite was already there.  It was originally presented as a flex space.  N & J used it a living area, M & A used it as a "bourbon room" and the other couple staged it as an office/spare bedroom.  If I remember correctly, T & D closed off the huge entry and then moved it over.  I believe they took a bit of space from both the powder room and the flex space so they could add new entrances to each of those room.  As for the mudroom, that space was taken from the oversized living room.  I don't think the mudroom was as big as it looked on TV.  Remember, the camera adds 10 pounds! 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 3/16/2021 at 12:51 PM, MartyQui said:

I loved the black and white tile in Nate and Jeremiah’s house, and I LOVED the iron and glass doors.  I couldn’t live there (not my colors), but I really thought it was beautiful.  Brian and Mika’s rooms looked cheap next to everyone else’s.  So glad Alison lost.  I didn’t mind the black paint, but I couldn’t live with giant birds greeting me at the front door.  They won because they added the bedroom with the attached bathroom...the wallpaper could always be stripped.

The black and white tile reminded me of a 50's diner and the movie Beetlejuice.  My grandmother had it and other than play hop scotch on it, I just don't care for it.

• Love 1
On 3/19/2021 at 12:15 AM, tinderbox said:

I *think* (because I'd have to see the floor plan and study it) that because they moved the kitchen, what should have been the pantry was now some unused space off the dining room. I think that got incorporated into the main floor suite. Like in N&J's room, they connected it to the pantry and kitchen but for D&T, that was the closet...I think.

Hated the peacock wallpaper. The yellow in it was too big a contrast to the other colors and the pattern was too small for the space. It would have been okay in a powder room, but in a main room, it was too much pattern and too much in your face.

ETA: Belgian farms, french mantle, and a turkish bowl...not exactly a cohesive voice (the belgian and french can at least be a bit related to each other but the turkish sink looked like a fountain which kinda went with the Clue Conservatory vibe of the front room... they do come off as very pretentious though. ETA2: on the rewatch, I hate, hate, hate that their "beams" in the living room have such obvious seams right in the middle. Like could you *be* any more obvious that they are fake? Put in an effort, yo. Brian and Mika's was dull and Allison and Mike were too much in the bourbon room but then they were under designed in the living room--lots of empty corners.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 3

Tonight it's the primary bedroom and bath.    And Egypt Sherrod (spelling?) and her husband are judges, but the competitors won't be able to pitch their design plan to her.     Unfortunately, N & J are going to do the marble checkerboard floor in the bath again.  

Who only put a giant shower with two rainhead fixtures, and no shower heads?    If I was looking at houses to move into (I could never afford, or need a huge house like the show houses), I wouldn't even consider that house, or N & J's black and white floors.    I thought M & A's bedroom and bath were OK, but not the winners.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I like Egypt but she choose the wrong winner,  Mika and Brian got screwed, Mika and Brian deserved to win, I do not blame Mika for being pissed but I do think Mika and Brian will win next week since they are going to add a bowling alley in the basement 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight it's the primary bedroom and bath.    And Egypt Sherrod (spelling?) and her husband are judges, but the competitors won't be able to pitch their design plan to her.     Unfortunately, N & J are going to do the marble checkerboard floor in the bath again.  

And I thought  you were kidding about the marble checkerboard until I saw you weren't.  Ugh.

• LOL 2
43 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

I like Egypt but she choose the wrong winner,  Mika and Brian got screwed, Mika and Brian deserved to win, I do not blame Mika for being pissed but I do think Mika and Brian will win next week since they are going to add a bowling alley in the basement 

Why would a bowling alley help?  Surely I can think of a hundred things I want before a bowling alley.  It doesn't seem like the type of thing most people would be yearning for in their basement.  BTW I would have chose B&M  bathroom also.  I like white walls.  That ombre just doesn't give off the same clean look.

• Love 5