Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E05: Disney Night

• Start Topic

Tom: *Reminds people that they're running over time*

Show: Let's take a few moments to show a clip package in which everyone states the obvious about how they don't want to go home yet. 

But of course, it was all moot in the end anyway, so... 

Anywho, Sailor, Ally, and Kate were definitely highlights tonight. And I love Kel :D. The pictures of him as a kid were really cute. Nice to see a few people getting some 9s tonight. 

• Love 6

What...what was Len smoking with giving Hannah that 7? Really? On par with Karamo? It's just as ridiculous as Carrie Ann giving Sean a 7. 

An 8 for James as well? And Ally gets a 9 from Len? I mean, Ally's dance was lovely, but so was James'. And Hannah's, for that matter.

Not to mention Lauren was definitely overscored. That dance didn't deserve two 8s. And Lauren's dance was NOT on par with Hannah's, in terms of Len giving them the exact same score. Bullshit.

I think I'm more annoyed with Len because he seems to be the one judging on the choreography that the celebs have no control over...so essentially, Len is judging the pro, not the celeb most of the time. 

I'm bitter there was no elimination tonight. Who cares if it's Disney Night? Get rid of somebody instead of waiting. 

And tonight, I was annoyed with Len. 

• Love 16

I'm always so conflicted about Disney night because you can have entertaining group numbers, but does that make it a good samba or paso or jive or whatever?  Then some people get free passes with contemp and jazz.  The non elim was obvious because the show was running super behind.

I wasn't in love with anything, but I guess I liked Kel's HSM number and maybe Ally's the most?  But Kel IMO had an easier task in the sense that he danced plenty, but HSM is essentially one big group routine with established choreo so all they had to do was put on a big HSM style routine and it fit Kel's energy.

Ally, I really liked how she danced her Beauty & the Beast number but I was confused why they danced a contemp to that song instead of a slow ballroom number.  Also I still have issues with Sasha's inability to let his partners breathe and leave breaths in the choreography.  He overstuffs his choreography always.  So props to how Ally danced it but didn't love the choreo.

I've always loved Riker's paso dance and can't figure out how I think James stacks up against that.  Hannah's number was lovely and flowy.

Neither of the sambas were particularly good as sambas, but maybe good as entertainment numbers.  Karamo continues to be stompy and Lauren has Gleb, so. Sailor's number was good, but I don't understand the judges inability to critique her.

I'm also torn on Kate's.  I thought it was cute, but I felt there wasn't enough content for Kate in the 2nd half. I thought putting in the quickstep part was a good idea cause that works for her, but the part when she was in the air lasted too long and I wanted to see more dancing.

Who I think may be in danger of B2 next week?  As of now, Kate and Karamo because we all know Spicer won't end up there.  Don't know who the judges would save either.  If Sailor ended up in B2 with Kate or Karamo they would save her even if I still don't totally understand why.

ETA: I don't mind Sailor getting some praise when she makes improvements and she's a lovely girl but I also think the judges giving her universal praise the last two weeks is odd when there were obvious small critiques.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 8

The non elimination must feel like such a waste of time for the dancers . It’s a competition That drags on a week longer because there’s no one going home . They don’t want everyone to be safe . 

I must be blind because I think karamo is good and am not seeing what everyone else is seeing with him . 

• Love 8

I thought Erin looked especially lovely tonight...I don't usually like her gowns, but the one she had on tonight was Beautiful!  I loved that she held out the sides, so viewers could see all the lovely embroidered birds on the fabric & her hair style was so soft & lovely.  On the other hand, Len was extra Grumpy tonight, sheesh, he was even annoyed with Tom!

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I must be blind because I think karamo is good and am not seeing what everyone else is seeing with him . 

I know it's all subjective, but I think Karamo is a pretty good performer with a good energy on the floor.  His technique is not great IMO and he is very stompy in the way he moves his feet, at least in the non hold dances.  It also didn't seem like his hip action was right, but I would need to watch it again.  I don't think he was worse than Lauren then in terms of technique.  Samba has to be one of the hardest dances for celebs and they both had issues.

Also would have to rewatch because the camera work in Karamo's number was bad, but I think he got off time a tiny bit at one point.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

He's very...stompy, I find. He doesn't really flow with his steps. He has some issues with his footwork as well. He's gotten marginally better but he doesn't really have a whole lot of hip action either. He can move his upper body, but it doesn't connect with moving his hips. I think that's my issue, and that was only highlighted with tonight's dance. 

Is he a good performer? Yes. Is he a good dancer? He's average, at best.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

What...what was Len smoking with giving Hannah that 7? Really? On par with Karamo? It's just as ridiculous as Carrie Ann giving Sean a 7. 

An 8 for James as well? And Ally gets a 9 from Len? I mean, Ally's dance was lovely, but so was James'. And Hannah's, for that matter.

Not to mention Lauren was definitely overscored. That dance didn't deserve two 8s. And Lauren's dance was NOT on par with Hannah's, in terms of Len giving them the exact same score. Bullshit.

I think I'm more annoyed with Len because he seems to be the one judging on the choreography that the celebs have no control over...so essentially, Len is judging the pro, not the celeb most of the time. 

I'm bitter there was no elimination tonight. Who cares if it's Disney Night? Get rid of somebody instead of waiting. 

And tonight, I was annoyed with Len. 

Let's see....does Lauren have a new single out...yes.  Overscoring her might be their way of guaranteeing she remains for max p.r. for her new music.

• Love 1

Small voice, spicer actually danced instead of walked.  I think Karamo and Kate (and spicer) had the roughest dances, Kel, Hannah and James the best.  I really wanted to see Hannah as Rapunzel though.  I like that everyone left wants to be there and seems to be having fun. I loved how all the other dancers jumped up and down and clapped for singer chick getting those 9 s.  They really seem to like each other.

and I have to give a shout out to “Tramp” leaning on Erin during that little spiel.

edited because “Trump” and “Tramp” are 2 very different animals

Edited by Riplet68
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Alley probably doesn't have as much fan base support.  Remember Normani came in 3rd place.   I can't see a scenario where James won't make the finals. 

Alley also comes closest to being a ringer.  She's obviously had training in choreographed dancing.  Even if it wasn't ball room, it was still dance experience.

Edited by tealeaves
  • Love 5

It really annoys me that all these married pros only dance with their spouses in pro numbers. I always liked the way they mixed it up in the old days so you got to see all different twosomes throughout the season, despite there being two married couples in the pro lineup.

Can we please see one pro number that doesn't feature Jenna front and center? I thought we'd get a break from that when Mandy Moore left.

Speaking of Jenna, I said it last week and will say it again this week -- she's a lousy teacher. I don't think she knows how to choreograph a routine where the spotlight is on her partner rather than her. I barely saw Karamo in that routine.

WTF is up with them giving Gleb such a pass this season? That number sucked, yet they got 8s for it? And he's so damn cocky about everything. I wish they would've let him stay gone.

I don't think Christie faked her injury at all. But I am starting to wonder if her plan all along was to pull out for some reason and have Sailor step in to take her place. She's definitely a stage mom and what better way to get her daughter exposure? 

Erin gown was really pretty but I would've liked it much better without that navel plunging neckline. Not only is it not her look at all but it was very distracting and took away from how pretty the dress was.

My favorite moment of the night was Tom and Erin sitting on the floor with the dogs from Lady and the Tramp. That's what I would've done if I was there LOL. And points to Erin for being so in love with the dog that she didn't bother picking up her microphone to introduce the next dance.

Kate has become one of my favorites but that dance did absolutely nothing for me, especially being that it was Jazz, which gives them a lot more leeway. I just found it boring and uninspired.

I did love Kel and James's dances and don't know why Len is being so nitpicky with James.

I don't think the changes in voting, scoring or eliminations is changing anything about this show having turned into a popularity contest. I'm afraid we're going to start losing good dancers now while Sean sticks around.

Note to the show: if you're going to try to "surprise" everyone with no elimination, don't run stupid montages after you've said you're pressed for time and don't start running the credits before the first couple is called safe. Although I'm not sure why Disney Night requires that no one go home. Haven't there been eliminations on Disney Night in the past?

• Love 9

I loved Disney movies and Disneyland as a kid so I always have mixed feelings about Disney week. Will they do a tribute worthy of my childhood memories? Or will they do something super lame that doesn't come close to measuring up to how awesome the movies were?

I loved that they did the opening number at Disneyland, but as I was watching I got distracted because I was wondering if they closed the park early (which sucks for park guests) or if they filmed after closing (which local residents would probably hate because of all the fireworks).

Sailor's Cinderella Viennese waltz was...fine. Just like every week, she learns the choreography well enough not to make major mistakes and she does it competently if not beautifully.   As with many celebs, where she really gives herself away is in her arms and her carriage which can be awkward and not graceful or precise.

Karamo's Lion King samba was definitely not his strongest dance this season. It didn't help that he was hampered by trying to look sexy doing hip rolls while dancing to this song.

Kate's Mary Poppins routine was cute but I feel like Pasha wasted being assigned jazz to do a decidedly non-jazz routine.

Ally's Beauty and the Beast contemporary is in the same category with Sailor. She's memorized the steps but her execution is what shows that dancing is not her thing (the flaily arms, the lazy unpointed feet, etc.)

Lauren's Little Mermaid samba was okay but I could have done without all of the facial expressions.

Kel's High School Musical jazz was exactly what I expected so good on Witney for taking advantage of getting jazz during Disney week to let him show off what he's good at.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

My favorite moment of the night was Tom and Erin sitting on the floor with the dogs from Lady and the Tramp. That's what I would've done if I was there LOL. 

I loved that, too :D. Such cute dogs!

Although I'm not sure why Disney Night requires that no one go home. Haven't there been eliminations on Disney Night in the past?

Yeah, I was sitting here wondering the same thing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Can we please see one pro number that doesn't feature Jenna front and center? I thought we'd get a break from that when Mandy Moore left.

Speaking of Jenna, I said it last week and will say it again this week -- she's a lousy teacher. I don't think she knows how to choreograph a routine where the spotlight is on her partner rather than her. I barely saw Karamo in that routine.

Now I feel like I need to rewatch because I remember being relieved that Jenna wasn't front and center in the pro number and thinking it was nice having different choreographers coming in that didn't play favorites the way Mandy did.  I saw Val featured more than I saw Jenna.

I just rewatched and there are a couple of Jenna close ups in the end group part, but I don't think she got featured at all.  Daniela/Pasha got featured more at the beginning over Val/Jenna and Lindsay/Alan had a whole solo part and even in the entire group dance, Lindsay and Peta were in the front and Jenna was in the middle.  Plus I saw several Emma close ups too.  Cheryl is the only one I didn't see at all.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that they did the opening number at Disneyland, but as I was watching I got distracted because I was wondering if they closed the park early (which sucks for park guests) or if they filmed after closing (which local residents would probably hate because of all the fireworks).

They didn't close the park early.  They filmed overnight, two nights in a row.  The pros were there from like the time the park closed until about 5am, two nights running.  The celebs  I think were only there one night.  Which the routine was nice and I like opening numbers but I also felt like it probably cut a lot into the celebs rehearsal times and just extra stress.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, spanana said:

Now I feel like I need to rewatch because I remember being relieved that Jenna wasn't front and center in the pro number and thinking it was nice having different choreographers coming in that didn't play favorites the way Mandy did.  I saw Val featured more than I saw Jenna.

I just feel like every time there's a pro routine she's all I see LOL

• Love 5
Just now, Toonces464 said:

I just feel like every time there's a pro routine she's all I see LOL

I generally do as well, but this time she really wasn't.  Lindsay/Alan and Daniela/Pasha had like actual solo parts and Jenna wasn't even in the front at the group parts.  The only time she was in the front was at the very end when they hit their final poses with their celebs.  I also saw a lot of Peta and Emma.

• Love 3

I think this has been mentioned before but what has Lindsey done to her face? Not that she doesn't look good but just different! At one point I thought I was looking at Witney! She just doesn't look like herself!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I liked that Hannah's costume wasn't a straight up copy from Aladdin. Sometimes the show gets really caught up in reproducing the original Disney stuff as much as possible so I liked that we got the carpet ride vibe without the same costumes.

A pirate paso doble was perfect for James because he got to really get into character, which I think is his strongest suit (even more so than his dancing which ends up looking better because he is so committed to his characters). Those boots run the risk of making an amateur dancer look stompy, but that wasn't much of an issue since the floor was covered in fog most of the time.

Ugh, non-elimination weeks drive me crazy - ESPECIALLY when there is an obvious gap between the worst celebs and everyone else.

• Love 10

I can't tell if I am not paying close enough attention or this cast mostly bores me (except for a couple).  I can't seem to know who most of the men are, other than James.  And as for the women--I think a few of them stand out more, and then some I just don't care for--Ally.

Sailor's dance looked really weak to me.  Maybe I missed something that the judges saw.  There were some other dances like that--they seemed like first night dances versus how they usually start to look this part of the season.

• Love 3

Is anyone else just not into this season? I feel like I'm not connecting with this cast, and I'm not a fan of the new elimination format. I would prefer if the judges are deadlocked they revert to America's vote. I just think once we get two decent dancers in the bottom, people will be unhappy with the judge's choice. Plus this format does nothing to eliminate bad dancers if they don't end up in the bottom 2.

• Love 9

It drives me nuts when Tom and Erin say that we are on a serious time crunch and so they have to hurry up with things, yet they pack so much fluff into the show , and give the person who goes home 1 second of air time to say what they want to say. Why not just cut some stuff down and have a proper interview instead of the music playing and them saying, ok sorry to cut you off but we have to go.

Also, I feel that the camera work is really bad. They hardly show us the dances, instead they film them from what seems like 10 miles away and you can hardly see anything.

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, bealled said:

Is anyone else just not into this season? I feel like I'm not connecting with this cast, and I'm not a fan of the new elimination format. I would prefer if the judges are deadlocked they revert to America's vote. I just think once we get two decent dancers in the bottom, people will be unhappy with the judge's choice. Plus this format does nothing to eliminate bad dancers if they don't end up in the bottom 2.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about Len as tiebreaker. (Or the judges pick in general. If you want the viewers to vote, then go by the viewers' vote. I have the same problem with the "Dunkin Save" on America's Got Talent.)

I'm rooting for Kate and Pasha. She's not the best dancer ever, but she's good (I'm not familiar with her as an actress; just seen her on stuff like Hollywood Game Night and maybe a late-night interview or two) and has put her comedic talents to good use in some of her routines, and Pasha is so adorable and always smiling and watching them just makes me happy. I really hope he sticks around as a pro. I've always loved Sasha but I'm meh on his partner this season (and honestly don't remember at the moment which one she is).

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

What...what was Len smoking with giving Hannah that 7? Really?

I often watch most of this show on mute because between Bruno's crazy antics, Carrie Ann yelling, the crowd screaming, Erin yelling to be heard over the crowd, etc. it's all too much. So I didn't hear the judges' comments to Hannah and was surprised by the 7 from Len. Did Len give any specific comments on what about the dance he disliked?

Because that's my biggest gripe with the judges. Even if I may not agree, if they at least say what problem they had with a dance and what they think the celebrity needs to work on, that's fine. But when they give some low/middling score but never clearly articulate the issue they had with the dance, that annoys me. 

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I actually agreed with Len about James and I adore him. As soon as the dance started, I thought he needed more sharpness and stiffness in the upper body to truly nail the matador stance. It did seem a wee bit floppy and hunched at times. Still a great number though. 

And as for Ally, as soon as I realized she was dancing contemporary, I knew the high scores were coming, same with Kel for the Jazz. Contemporaries and Jazz numbers are often over scored on this show. 

11 hours ago, spanana said:

I know it's all subjective, but I think Karamo is a pretty good performer with a good energy on the floor.  His technique is not great IMO and he is very stompy in the way he moves his feet, at least in the non hold dances.  It also didn't seem like his hip action was right, but I would need to watch it again.

I think you nailed it. Karamo is clearly working his butt off and you can tell how much he wants to be there and how much he enjoys the performance and all that goes with the show.

Unfortunately, the show isn't won solely on enthusiasm and yeah, his technique doesn't match his passion and drive. The hip action is the thing that stands out to me the most. And for a Samba, it was very noticeable in how much it was lacking and it was in fact a little painful to watch at times. 

11 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I don't think Christie faked her injury at all. But I am starting to wonder if her plan all along was to pull out for some reason and have Sailor step in to take her place. She's definitely a stage mom and what better way to get her daughter exposure? 

Well that was Wendy Williams' theory and people judged her for it. But you gotta admit, it sure worked out perfectly for Sailor who otherwise would not have gotten on the show since as Wendy put it, sure she's a "model" with a famous mom but let's face it, girl was no Kendall Jenner or Gigi Hadid. 

11 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Kate has become one of my favorites but that dance did absolutely nothing for me, especially being that it was Jazz, which gives them a lot more leeway. I just found it boring and uninspired.

Agreed and I feel like that Jazz may have exposed Pasha's one weakness as Pro. Seems he may not be so adept at choreographing routines that aren't ballroom specific, which I mean, to be fair, ballroom is the man's wheelhouse. I think it's just that we've gotten used to so many of these Pros being cross trained in many different styles, like Witney and Jenna. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I wasn't super impressed with any of the dances this week -- is the length of dances getting longer? Because I felt like a lot of the dances had "fluff" breaks where the troop took over and I was wondering if it was so that the stars had less choreography to learn. There were at least two dances where a bunch of pros stood in a line and did some kind of wave thing and the star wasn't even visible (to the camera) for at least 8 counts. Usually that's to hide a costume change or something but it just seemed like straight-up filler. 

I agree that Karamo's passion is much stronger than his dancing, and I thought his costume tonight seemed to weirdly emphasize that. He had that band/wide belt thing around his waist and I couldn't tell if the material was actually less flexible there or if he just wasn't moving his midsection. It seemed like the opposite strategy of when pros put their female celebs in costumes with a lot of fringe so that it looks like there's more motion.

I have to say, while I have mixed feelings about her celeb (to say the least), I am SO IMPRESSED with Lindsay. She really does an excellent job at teaching, choreographing, and taking her partners through the dance without obviously overdancing them. I used to really like Witney but I think both she and Jenna are actually holding their partners back. Witney had some weird choreography where she put herself diagonally in front of Kel for no good reason as far as I could tell, instead of being equally side to side. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bealled said:

I'm not into this season either.  I also hate the new elimination format.  It doesn't help if the worst dancer is not in the bottom.  It wouldn't have helped last season.  And now, people in the Mountain and Pacific time zones can't vote.

46 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And as for Ally, as soon as I realized she was dancing contemporary, I knew the high scores were coming, same with Kel for the Jazz. Contemporaries and Jazz numbers are often over scored on this show. 

I think you nailed it. Karamo is clearly working his butt off and you can tell how much he wants to be there and how much he enjoys the performance and all that goes with the show.

Unfortunately, the show isn't won solely on enthusiasm and yeah, his technique doesn't match his passion and drive. The hip action is the thing that stands out to me the most. And for a Samba, it was very noticeable in how much it was lacking and it was in fact a little painful to watch at times. 

Agreed and I feel like that Jazz may have exposed Pasha's one weakness as Pro. Seems he may not be so adept at choreographing routines that aren't ballroom specific, which I mean, to be fair, ballroom is the man's wheelhouse. I think it's just that we've gotten used to so many of these Pros being cross trained in many different styles, like Witney and Jenna. 

Yes, jazz and contemporary numbers always score high on this show.  I really liked Kel's jazz.  Ally was o.k.  I didn't like the choreography.  It didn't flow and seemed posey.  Ally was too stiff and not fluid enough and it could have been the choreography.

Karamo is a good performer.  I think he's had difficult dance assignments between the quickstep, jive, and samba.  His best dance was last week and it could be because he had the cha cha.  Jenna also doesn't really know how to teach.  His feet was a mess in the jive.  Then it was highlighted because he wore white shoes.  Jenna should have realized that would happen.  She also doesn't dumb down choreography to match her contestant.  Pasha is good at doing that with Kate.

Pasha's weakness is definitely the non ballroom specific dances.  He might have trouble with contemporary too unless he just makes it look like the rumba.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bealled said:

Yeah, they took the dullness of last season and made it worse. I’ve only watched since the Meryl/Amy/Charlie season, and I can’t tell if it’s just bound to get repetitive after a while or if the choreography has gotten more boring. Highlighted by Disney night, how many pirate pasos and Cinderella waltzes can you do? They all look the same. James and Kel are both nostalgia castings for me, and while I like them both I don’t care. Something about this cast isn’t gelling, and Spicer is hanging around like a fart in an elevator making everything feel Bad.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't blame Pasha if he's not great with jazz because even our cross trained pros often punt their jazz routines on this show.  Jenna was responsible for the hot mess that was Rumer's jazz and most jazz routines aren't really jazz routines.  They were hired to be ballroom pros so let them be ballroom pros.

I think I'm meh on this season because there is nobody that is blowing me away week to week and I don't need that to be a ringer, but I need a consistent celeb to root for and get behind and be excited over most of their dances.  I LOVE Kate and Kate/Pasha together, and I was super into her week 2 and week 3 dances but less so the last few weeks.  I also just love Kate as a person but I fear she may be toast next week unless she has a killer routine.

As for the others, I guess it's a meh.  I don't dislike anyone besides Spicer, but I'm not excited about any of them either.  Everyone is sort of on fairly equal footing, but it's not an equal footing that makes for fun and exciting dances week to week. 

I will say I think Disney week may have suffered a bit because dances were suddenly longer and the weird all night Disney shoots on top of filming at Disney during the day may have cut into rehearsal time for all.  At least next week is no theme again.

The only thing I do need the judges to do is stop pretending the sun shines out of Sailor's ass.  She's a cute person and I like her enough but she needs to get some actual constructive criticism.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 10

Sasha and Ally should have had a waltz or V waltz to Beauty and the Beast. I didnt really care for the contemporary to that song but it was danced well but again I like last week, I felt like Ally was overscored. U can tell even tho Carrieanne pointed it out that Ally is def. not trained as she had no pointed toes and her lines werent that good but I guess they r scoring based on emotion when it comes to contemporary but I thought 3 9s were a bit much, I still love ally and sasha as a couple and she is def. a frontrunner now.

Kel and James were my fav dances of the night and I hate that they both got lowballed by Len. I mean I knew Len wasnt going to give Kel 9 because of most of his dance was filled with hiphop and we all know how Lens feel about any kind of hip hop even if its in jazz that  can be freely choreographed without restrictions.

Im still not feeling Hannah and I doubt that will ever change but a 7 for her dance was ridiculous from Len.

I really hate that karamo hasnt had his wow moment yet but I have no idea if he will at this moment in the competition. That samba wasnt good and keep wondering how karamo would have done with another pro. JJ only does well when she has someone who is a dancer already, I think she struggles with teaching for beginners or someone who isnt a natural.

If Sean got 7 tonight then everyone should have got 10s and that is all I got.

• Love 2

Is it weird that I just liked that someone actually wore shoes for a contemporary?

Also amused that Sean's character is a doll with a pull string to make him talk. I feel like someone picked that on purpose.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

.If Sean got 7 tonight then everyone should have got 10s and that is all I got.

No way are they going to give him the scores he deserves when 45 tweets his support for him right before the show. Spicer and his politics have pretty much ruined the show for me this season. I'm not watching a live broadcast until his ass is gone.  I've been watching all the dances except for his on the FB page.

For me, Hannah and James are still the top two and I hope they duke it out for the win. I really don't care less who gets third place as long as it's not the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, jhummerbird said:

I have to say, while I have mixed feelings about her celeb (to say the least), I am SO IMPRESSED with Lindsay. She really does an excellent job at teaching, choreographing, and taking her partners through the dance without obviously overdancing them. I used to really like Witney but I think both she and Jenna are actually holding their partners back. Witney had some weird choreography where she put herself diagonally in front of Kel for no good reason as far as I could tell, instead of being equally side to side. 

I just dont think kel and whitney have much chemistry, atleast it doesnt seem authentic and natural like it did with her other partners. I feel like they mostly dance apart than together and I wish the judges point that out esp. Carrieanne since she is the chemistry guru of the table. I did love his jazz but honestly I thought he had more chemistry with the boys he was dancing with than whitney.

• Love 1

Well, Disney night is always a bit too sugary for me, this time as well. And the no-elimination thing was blah as well. Who cares if it's Mickey Mouse time...

Tbh, I was scared when I saw that Kate had jazz since it's likely that Pasha with his pretty hardcore ballroom/latin credentials isn't cross-trained. And boy, that lift in the middle of the routine went on wayyyyy too long, LOL. We're not fooled, dude. 😉 Saying that, I thought he did a decent enough con job and the routine held more or less together as a piece of performance. Had to laugh that he threw in Quickstep and Polka, since he's more familiar with that. Song/movie suited Kate. And it would have been better as a Quickstep or Polka. Saying that, she got decent scores. Now she's at least in with a fighting chance if she manages another good-scoring dance next week.

The longer it goes on, the more it becomes obvious how hampered Lauren is by her partner. I thought she was totally overscored for that mess. Not that any of that is her fault, she did the best she could with it. Val is doing well with Sailor. She's not the most talented, not the most versatile, but she keeps improving and he gives her suitable dances. I thought Kel was really good, though HSM is such a weird group number... With James, though I like Emma, I sometimes wonder what someone like Karina or Anna might have done with him. It often seems, like his movements need to be sharpened and cleaned up a bit. Emma seems a bit too lenient in that aspect.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, katha said:

Tbh, I was scared when I saw that Kate had jazz since it's likely that Pasha with his pretty hardcore ballroom/latin credentials isn't cross-trained. And boy, that lift in the middle of the routine went on wayyyyy too long, LOL. Had to laugh that he threw in Quickstep and Polka, since he's more familiar with that.

I wasn't paying close attention so didn't know it was a jazz routine. I saw the quickstep and thought, "Oh, it IS a quickstep." Then the background crowd lifted Kate up for an eternity, and I thought,"Oh, call the Lift Police."

Yeah, I didn't pay a lot of attention to this episode, except to note that those Disney characters with their OTT mugging make me cranky.

I do like Kate with her saying each week that she has a real boyfriend and a Russian boyfriend. That's a breath of fresh air from the manufactured showmances I hate.

• Love 6

I meant to mention, I wonder how far in advance they decided there would be no elimination tonight.  It was definitely planned by the start of the show because the packages were really long but one thing that makes me wonder a bit is Trump tweeted out his support for Spicer earlier in the day about how people shout vote for him on DWTS.  Which really weird when the supposed ruler of your nation has a vested interest in DWTS so I have to imagine he would have been nowhere near the B2 with that extra MAGA push.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So the next episode will be on our MeTV affiliate instead of ABC is because of Monday Night Football.

I looked at next Monday night's schedule and DWTS is on at its regular time and ABC channel here. Maybe your schedule will change back to no football?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, spanana said:

I meant to mention, I wonder how far in advance they decided there would be no elimination tonight.  It was definitely planned by the start of the show because the packages were really long but one thing that makes me wonder a bit is Trump tweeted out his support for Spicer earlier in the day about how people shout vote for him on DWTS.  Which really weird when the supposed ruler of your nation has a vested interest in DWTS so I have to imagine he would have been nowhere near the B2 with that extra MAGA push.

Ugh. Where's the "rolling my eyes" reaction?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I do like Kate with her saying each week that she has a real boyfriend and a Russian boyfriend. That's a breath of fresh air from the manufactured showmances I hate.

I liked when she said something to the effect of, 'I'm only going to be here one season, he needs to be here forever!" They seem to genuinely get on well, it's sweet. 

3 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Spicer is hanging around like a fart in an elevator making everything feel Bad.

Actually laughed out loud at this :D.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I liked when she said something to the effect of, 'I'm only going to be here one season, he needs to be here forever!" They seem to genuinely get on well, it's sweet.

Daniela did a long interview on Kristyn Burtt's show and while it was filmed a few weeks ago now, she was saying how she and Pasha really wanted Pasha to get paired with Kate from the second they saw the cast.  First because they are both huge Office fans but also because at GMA they were talking to Kate a lot and they felt she had a really nice vibe and they got along well so Daniela told Pasha he had to make sure to her as his partner, as if he has a say.  So I do think he was genuinely happy when he got her.  Which that in itself made me like him since he didn't come in and immediately gun for wanting all the 20 something women like the rest of the men, but wanted to be paired with the less typical DWTS winner type.

Daniela also says Pasha is very zen and fairly unflappable which is why they have never even had a huge fight in over 10 years.  But if he is really that easy going then he's perfect for DWTS and dealing with celebs.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, spanana said:

I think I'm meh on this season because there is nobody that is blowing me away week to week and I don't need that to be a ringer, but I need a consistent celeb to root for and get behind and be excited over most of their dances.  I LOVE Kate and Kate/Pasha together, and I was super into her week 2 and week 3 dances but less so the last few weeks.  I also just love Kate as a person but I fear she may be toast next week unless she has a killer routine.

There is no obvious ringers, that is why this season is just meh. People get mad with contestants who have obvious dance training but hey it helps keep u entertained. We have people that have natural rhythmn and ability like kel, ally, hannah and james but noone who is just a mindblowing dancer from previous seasons.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, spanana said:

Daniela did a long interview on Kristyn Burtt's show and while it was filmed a few weeks ago now, she was saying how she and Pasha really wanted Pasha to get paired with Kate from the second they saw the cast.  First because they are both huge Office fans but also because at GMA they were talking to Kate a lot and they felt she had a really nice vibe and they got along well so Daniela told Pasha he had to make sure to her as his partner, as if he has a say.  So I do think he was genuinely happy when he got her.  Which that in itself made me like him since he didn't come in and immediately gun for wanting all the 20 something women like the rest of the men, but wanted to be paired with the less typical DWTS winner type.

Daniela also says Pasha is very zen and fairly unflappable which is why they have never even had a huge fight in over 10 years.  But if he is really that easy going then he's perfect for DWTS and dealing with celebs.

All the celebs (and pros) say their partner is who they hoped to be paired with, you ever notice that? And did you notice last night that almost every single celeb got music from "my favorite Disney movie"? LOL

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

All the celebs (and pros) say their partner is who they hoped to be paired with, you ever notice that? And did you notice last night that almost every single celeb got music from "my favorite Disney movie"? LOL

I realize this but this was a much longer interview (an hour long) in a relaxed setting not for TPTB and Daniela gave a whole story behind it and etc.  It's a little different than just a soundbite for an edited clip for the tv show.  Also they are huge Office fans and had been watching it right before GMA, so I think they were a little starstruck.  Daniela had no reason to lie about the story since it was information she volunteered.  She could have used the time to talk about something else.

Fun fact but she was also mentored by Shirley Ballas, though she didn't really know Derek.  I think she had been around Mark more.

• Love 3