Type keyword(s) to search

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Do they really show two days of camping? It wouldn't shock me if they stayed until dark, packed it all up and went home, but made it appear they stayed over night.

It looked very fake, I think you are correct that they set up, filmed, went home. Carlin’s voice when Evan was awake at 2 am was not the voice of someone in a tent in the rain trying to sleep. She sounded way too calm and we all know Carlin is usually very loud.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I couldn't even make it through the most recent video. They were building stuff for the reveal, but they withheld the actual reveal. 🙄

Carlin did say she has two weeks until they find out the gender, so that video was kinda pointless.

• Useful 1
On 11/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, cereality said:

What is this family's obsession with camping IN THE COLD?? Last week it was J&K - all bundled up sitting out there in the freezing cold, though I think his family at least sprang for cabins or rented RVs so they weren't outside. This weekend (or at least last night), it was Evan and Carlin. Uh night time temps in Knox are down to the 40s, some nights even the 30s. And then of course there was the video of Evan complaining at 230 am bc it was cold and starting to rain and all they had to keep out of the elements was their tent - which looks set up on the side of a pond that you'd drive by off a road someplace -- i.e. not even a camping spot where there was some set up or other families; like just the 2 idiots + a baby alone on the side of a road. Hope Evan packs heat like his brother does - you never know who could be out there. I assume J&K went camping because Kelton told Josie she wasn't saying no to his family's vacation, and E&C - I guess they need YT material for next week? But I mean if both of these families couldn't get around to camping while the weather was still at least 50-60 degrees+, the ship has sailed, save it for spring.

we camp year round, however we do have a camper, with a furnace lol.  Last year when we were camping after Thanksgiving in Pigeon Forge there was several tents set up in the same campground. On the day we left it was snowing....not for me, I enjoy camping as much as anyone else but I do draw the line with comfort lol ;) 

• Love 6

Josie posted on Instagram that Effortless Beauty had a belated Christmas party last night. She posted a picture of the stylists and while I can't tell how many are stylists and how many are their partners or dates it seems she and Grace have really grown their business. Good for Josie pursuing a career. So refreshing in this family. Also if my eyes didn't deceive me it looked like someone had a glass of beer. Not saying it was Josie or Kelton. But at least she didn't try to edit it out. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Josie posted on Instagram that Effortless Beauty had a belated Christmas party last night. She posted a picture of the stylists and while I can't tell how many are stylists and how many are their partners or dates it seems she and Grace have really grown their business. Good for Josie pursuing a career. So refreshing in this family. Also if my eyes didn't deceive me it looked like someone had a glass of beer. Not saying it was Josie or Kelton. But at least she didn't try to edit it out. 

I remember Josie saying they'd booked something like 170 weddings last year, so she must be doing really well. I think the wedding business was a smart move for her. She's not tied to a salon, having to pay chair rental, and she can work as much or as little as she wants to. Unlike Katie, for whom I think cosmetology was a place-holder, Josie is really passionate about what she does.

• Love 11
On 1/5/2022 at 10:04 AM, 3 is enough said:

I noticed the beer too. Good to see they are ok with others having a drink.

Probably freaks them out and they pray for their soul.  
I dated a religious fellow, not a fundie, but he said it hurt his soul when i drank (one drink) and cussed.  I imagine them being that way.  

• Love 3

Josie posed pictures of Kelton's company Christmas party. I am really impressed at the size of his company. I have to hand it to him. He has  done well. For being a young couple they seem to have their priorities straight. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Josie posted on her stories that they are still going to Colorado with her family.

Could it be because the trip was already paid for even though it won’t be filmed? It’ll be interesting to see how many of the married children go. 

• Love 3

Watching Josie get ready for this Colorado trip is ridiculous.  Yes, I know it's winter and clothing takes up more room, but jfc you had to go out and buy another large suitcase?!?!   Imagine when there are more kids to pack for.  No thanks!

She/they are so concerned about how they look they will drag all that shit along and spend more time with packing and unpacking than having fun.  Just so they can "look good".  Which, in my opinion, they won't.  They will be boring.  The same neutral, boring winter clothes.  

• Love 6

To be fair they do have an extra person this year.  But having said that, of course they overpacked.  How many winter coats does one person need , especially living in Tennessee?

When I lived in Montreal I had two winter coats at any given time- a parka and a dress wool coat.  And I usually wore the parka for 2-3 winters before I got a new one.  But people didn't feel the need to have multiple coats back then.

• Love 4

Josie has kind of lost her mind over this vacation. The sheer amount of stuff they're taking as if they're going to live in Colorado and now their precious suitcase that they bought new and overstuff cracked. Driving to Nashville from midnight to 3 am, kids walking thru the airport at 3 am for a 5 am flight. Like WTF - what vacation is worth this?? G&K are there with all their kids who live with them and Trace/Law are featured at the rental house. This very much screams last hurrah bc it was already booked at UPTV rates so we are going to squeeze every last minute of fun out of this bc we likely aren't going to be able to afford a house that IRL rents for $1000/wk ever again. Wonder what other married couples are going - if any. So far none have been pictured. Interesting that Katie and Trav aren't going - no kid responsibilities and bored in their marriage/or awkward - but she has a friend in town all week.

And I know the pandemic is fake/is over/blah blah but why does Kelton even bother with a mask? She's posted hundreds of clips of her honey thru the airport/on the flight - mask is below the nose in every single one; he's carrying Willow who is masked properly, he goes ahead and pulls the mask down below her nose. I guess he's keeping up the theater bc you're supposed to in airports/on a flight - whereas asshole Warden, Gil, etc. don't even bother - walking thru the terminal and baggage claim and don't even have one on their chins that they could pull up if needed. Remind us - how many times has your sister gotten covid and how much has it limited her ability to pop out more kids?? Maybe someone should let them know that it's now known that covid affects MALE fertility . . . they've all had covid before, do they want to risk a new variant too??

Edited by cereality
  • Love 10

I don't get it.  If you know you have an early flight and the airport is a 3 hour drive why on earth would you not stay at a hotel by the airport the night before? I did a quick check and the Hampton Inn at Nashville airport has rooms for $112/night. She probably spent more on the suitcase and snacks.  If you are that strapped for funds maybe you shouldn't be going on vacation at all.  

• Love 12
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

I saw that, it was really cute. Willow is such a character.

And she has her own money that she keeps in her own wallet. 😂😂😂😂 That got me because SGirl was into money way before she should have known its value. Also good to see Willow excited about strawberries, unlike G&K, it seems J&K have fresh fruit at home. 

• Love 4

Willow is an adorable little girl. Seems to have a cute personality. Josie posted a video on instagram of Kelton cooking a meal. Josie is lucky that he likes to cook. The meals always look healthy and well presented. 

• Love 5

Aside from the fact that all of his meals are really heavy on the onions and garlic (a big no in my house since my husband is allergic), they do look like tasty meals.  And there appears to be enough food for everyone. 
Willow is adorable.  I just love that age when they talk nonstop.  

• Love 7

I was just coming to post about this. The idea is cute but the flowers are white and the accent wall is cream? That's a lot of work for minimal effect. I guess Willow and Hazel will be living their best beige lives. 

Full disclosure, most of the rooms in my house are a similar cream colour.  But I have a spare room where my granddaughters sleep when they come to visit.  I painted it pale pink for them.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Full disclosure, most of the rooms in my house are a similar cream colour.  

Mine are as well. I just can't believe Josie and Co. spent an entire day making these flowers only for them to blend into the wall when it was all said and done. I get that she's allergic to color, but even muted pastel tones would've had more pop than white-on-white.

• Love 5

I think the flowers are cute. This is her style very neutral. She pointed out in her instagram that the chlldren have lots of colorful toys that they play with. Willow is not an infant and she doesn't need colorful walls to stimulate her. I have seen Willow and Hazel on the floor playing with colorful blocks and trains etc. This is more stimulating than the color of their walls to me anyway.   I doubt that Josie pays much attention to how others think she should decorate her children's room. Thats what I find appealing about Josie. She knows what she wants and is not easily swayed.

24 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I think the flowers are cute. This is her style very neutral. She pointed out in her instagram that the chlldren have lots of colorful toys that they play with. Willow is not an infant and she doesn't need colorful walls to stimulate her. I have seen Willow and Hazel on the floor playing with colorful blocks and trains etc. This is more stimulating than the color of their walls to me anyway.   I doubt that Josie pays much attention to how others think she should decorate her children's room. Thats what I find appealing about Josie. She knows what she wants and is not easily swayed.

Willow isn't a baby who needs color on the walls for stimulation, but she is a very verbal preschooler who probably has an opinion about the color of the decorations on her bedroom walls.  Maybe Josie could've asked her and made at least a few of the flowers her favorite color.  Kids Willow's age like to feel part of things and it is her room, after all.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Josie has an IG story about filming a commercial for Kelton’s business. Lydia is the home owner in need of a reliable plumber. I wonder why he didn’t use Josie. Kelton had to recreate a backed up sink. He actually has a sense of humor about what he does. Too much for Josie though, it grossed her out. I found it funny. 

About a month ago they did a story about Kelton brainstorming about billboards to advertise his business. Now he’s working on a TV (?) commercial. The business must be doing well. If they don’t have kids in the double digits the Balkas appear on track to increase their standard of living above that of fundie couples their age. Still horrible beliefs, and Josie will continue to shill products. 

• Love 3

Kelton seems like a really sharp kid when it comes to business. He's always looking for opportunities to expand and promote. I also think he gives zero effs about saying "no" to Josie's family when they expect him to do free or low cost work. I'm sure he'd help if there was an emergency, but he's not going to take time away from paid jobs to do the umpteenth million Bates house renovation. 

With regards to Josie, she had rough pregnancies and deliveries, not to mention PPD with Hazel, so I really hope they limit their family size. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but common sense has to kick in at some point. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

The thing is, she is 22.  She could easily take a 5 year break and still have a couple more babies before she turns 30.  Will it play out that way?  I doubt it.  But at the very least, with Kelton having lost his mother due to complications of childbirth I can see him being ok with a smaller family, especially if they have a boy next time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Kelton seems like a really sharp kid when it comes to business. He's always looking for opportunities to expand and promote. I also think he gives zero effs about saying "no" to Josie's family when they expect him to do free or low cost work. I'm sure he'd help if there was an emergency, but he's not going to take time away from paid jobs to do the umpteenth million Bates house renovation. 

With regards to Josie, she had rough pregnancies and deliveries, not to mention PPD with Hazel, so I really hope they limit their family size. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but common sense has to kick in at some point. 

YES to all of the above, especially the working for free. Kelton had his plumbing license when he was eighteen. He added a business degree, although not accredited. In addition, he worked in both capacities in his uncle business. A licensed trade and an education have paid off for him. This is why the Bates boys are such duds, they have neither. Zach gave me hope until he blew it for Jesus. 

Kelton is fundie enough to be approved as Josie’s suitor. Why is he so different than the Bateses?

This also made me think of Chad. I realize he has five kids, but he seems (to my untrained eye) capable in construction. Is the lack of credentials the reason why his construction business doesn’t seem to be doing as well? It can’t be having help, because Kelton has several employees. I guess I’m full of questions today. Sorry about the long post. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 6

I'm not fan of Kelton's - nor Josie really as she strikes me as a snob. I think he's a controlling asshole type [and ugly to look at one top of it] and I really don't get it when their fans go on about -- ooooh he adores her, I just don't see it. I see it as - she fits into how HE wants to live and as long as she continues to live how he wants/doesn't talk back to him etc., he'll continue to pat her on the head and provide the lifestyle. And I think she's fine with it bc hey she's fundie, she had to marry someone and get away from her fam who she doesn't love all that much, hey at least he provides her a lifestyle she didn't grow up with and does the cooking. He has said he wants 5 kids - not shocking as he's one of 5. Make no mistake, it WILL be how he wants it; if he wants 5, she's having 5 - clotting or PPD or whatever, that's her problem. The only way they won't have 5 is if they run into a Michael/Brandon type problem and can't conceive, and if that happens sorry but I don't see her being as nice to her has Brandon is to M.

Yet for all his controlling asshole fundie qualities, he has the one quality fundie men don't have - ambition. I think he's always had a VERY specific vision of how his life would be and he was anxious to make it happen ASAP. That's why he started pursuing Josie when she was 14. Got his plumbing license before 18. Worked with his uncle to learn plumbing hands on + business mgmt from 18-22 while going to unaccredited college for business classes, so he could launch his own business like a year after college. I think he is VERY into the idea of NOT working for anyone else, ever. In order for that to happen + have the lifestyle he wants [as I think he grew up with $$ as Michael Balka wasn't clearing drains for a living but has his own IT business and went to a real college - Baylor], he knew he needed a large-ish business. He learned and understood that if the business only relies on YOU as the skill, there's a cap on what you can earn as there's only 24 hrs/day. So he learned really quick about scaling up - i.e. have 15-20 guys working for you, they produce income for the business and you only give away a % of that income as salary for them but you keep the lion's share of it. And Kelton has taught Josie the same thing - sure she works weddings etc. but she also seems to have like 5-10 stylists who work other weddings/events and likely those people work every weekend, not just once a month or whatever Josie does.

As for Chad - I think it's a combo of being unlicensed + not having any business training or acumen. He did attend one of those unaccredited colleges as well but it was for youth ministry so I doubt he took even one business class. I think he doesn't get that if you have guys out doing jobs for you, you're getting the majority of what they are earning for the business. I also think he doesn't have the confidence do expand his business like that [i.e. what if I take on these guys and we can't get jobs etc. - while Kelton probably gets, take them on as 1099 employees until there's a steady flow of jobs], so Chad just relies on - if God wants me to expand my business, he'll send me a sign etc. Since there's no sign - well it's one bathroom tile job at a time with Warden or Isiah or Trace helping him when it's too much for one person.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
(edited)

Chad being unlicensed is 99% of the reason his business doesn't thrive. Most homeowners are wary of hiring unlicensed contractors because there's little legal protection if a job goes awry and they could be held liable if a worker gets injured on their property. Chad is talented, but I suspect a lot of people say "thanks, but no thanks" when they call him for jobs and find out he doesn't have a license. I imagine most of the work he does is for like-minded friends and church members, and he probably feels pressured to low-ball his estimates. His Instagram page shows surprisingly few completed projects, especially when you subtract Bates homes, so yeah, I don't think business is great. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

What would it take for him to get licensed? 

In Tenn it actually doesn't take all that much to become a licensed contractor. It's basically just taking and passing an exam; not suggesting you can just go in cold and pass but per the websites out there it's the type of exam for which you take a few online review classes, study the state's materials for a few months [which I assume is a lot of memorizing codes for what is/isn't allowed] and take the exam, which 90% of people pass. Electrical OTOH takes 5 yrs, appears to be a series of exams and classes you must pass including things like physics which could be hard given the education these people got from their mamas and includes about 2 years of hands on work as an apprentice before they hand you a license. The other required part of being a licensed contractor w/ your own business is carrying a variety of insurances to protect you, your employees, and whoever's property you're working on. 

Apparently in TN any job over 3k requires a licensed contractor and you cannot engage in any bid process for any job over 25k without a license. I mean I guess that only matters if anyone turns you in, which given that 90% or more of his business is from Bates siblings and sweet friends from church, everyone looks the other way just happy that someone will re-tile their shower at minimal cost. Them fundies don't need no formal licenses or insurance certificates, those are just for heathens. And let's be real, none of his jobs look like they are earning more than 3k here or 5k there.

He really should pursue a license and build a real business like Kelton. Dude is 34, has 7 people living in a rental cottage, has a wife who is fixing to make more miracle babies if they can, is housing and feeding a menagerie, and you can see the stress on his face. Does he REALLY want to live life by making 3k here or 5k there on jobs for inlaws and sweet friends and just praying btwn jobs that yet another sweet friend from church emerges needing flooring?? I mean at least it's clear that he charges for projects now as opposed to when he first married and Erin volunteered him to the Bates for free all the time, but no way is he charging market rate/making as much profit as he could if he was working for strangers. And no way can he charge what a licensed contractor with a licensed crew that isn't Warden/Isiah/Trace can charge - bc then why would anyone hire him??

• Love 6
17 hours ago, cereality said:

In Tenn it actually doesn't take all that much to become a licensed contractor. It's basically just taking and passing an exam; not suggesting you can just go in cold and pass but per the websites out there it's the type of exam for which you take a few online review classes, study the state's materials for a few months [which I assume is a lot of memorizing codes for what is/isn't allowed] and take the exam, which 90% of people pass. Electrical OTOH takes 5 yrs, appears to be a series of exams and classes you must pass including things like physics which could be hard given the education these people got from their mamas and includes about 2 years of hands on work as an apprentice before they hand you a license. The other required part of being a licensed contractor w/ your own business is carrying a variety of insurances to protect you, your employees, and whoever's property you're working on. 

Apparently in TN any job over 3k requires a licensed contractor and you cannot engage in any bid process for any job over 25k without a license. I mean I guess that only matters if anyone turns you in, which given that 90% or more of his business is from Bates siblings and sweet friends from church, everyone looks the other way just happy that someone will re-tile their shower at minimal cost. Them fundies don't need no formal licenses or insurance certificates, those are just for heathens. And let's be real, none of his jobs look like they are earning more than 3k here or 5k there.

He really should pursue a license and build a real business like Kelton. Dude is 34, has 7 people living in a rental cottage, has a wife who is fixing to make more miracle babies if they can, is housing and feeding a menagerie, and you can see the stress on his face. Does he REALLY want to live life by making 3k here or 5k there on jobs for inlaws and sweet friends and just praying btwn jobs that yet another sweet friend from church emerges needing flooring?? I mean at least it's clear that he charges for projects now as opposed to when he first married and Erin volunteered him to the Bates for free all the time, but no way is he charging market rate/making as much profit as he could if he was working for strangers. And no way can he charge what a licensed contractor with a licensed crew that isn't Warden/Isiah/Trace can charge - bc then why would anyone hire him??

Tiffany thanked Chad for the help he’s providing on their new house. I really hope they are paying him his worth. The information about electricians made me think of Evan, and how he and Chad are operating against perceived type. Evan comes across as a happy go lucky, fly by the seat of his pants, live in the moment type of guy who is younger than Chad. Yet he had the good sense (I’ve never associated good sense and Evan) to choose a trade that would afford him a good salary, thus the ability to support an ever growing family. Then there’s serious, older, calmer Chad, popping kids for Jesus in a two bedroom cottage, adding a small farm of animals, and not making wise decisions about their financial future. It must be a pattern because the purchase of the fifth wheel is equally short sighted. Erin mentioned it was a really good deal.  Unless they are flipping it, it’s not a good deal if they have outgrown it before their first camping trip. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Lulz! So I was watching Josie's stories yesterday and she linked a crap-ton of hair and makeup products, some with codes, some that are just her favorites. Well, what do you know, today Alyssa does the exact same and featured many of the same products! These girls are cutthroat when it comes to honing in on the commissions! 

Josie also responded to someone who complained about her doing too many ads, saying she can't justify the time social media takes if it isn't benefitting her family in some way. 

Also, she flew back to NJ with Katie, and the two of them walking through the airport is the happiest I've seen Katie since her wedding. Josie was funny when she joked that traveling with two kids will cure Katie's baby fever very quickly. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lulz! So I was watching Josie's stories yesterday and she linked a crap-ton of hair and makeup products, some with codes, some that are just her favorites. Well, what do you know, today Alyssa does the exact same and featured many of the same products! These girls are cutthroat when it comes to honing in on the commissions! 

Josie also responded to someone who complained about her doing too many ads, saying she can't justify the time social media takes if it isn't benefitting her family in some way. 

Also, she flew back to NJ with Katie, and the two of them walking through the airport is the happiest I've seen Katie since her wedding. Josie was funny when she joked that traveling with two kids will cure Katie's baby fever very quickly. 

Shows how petty Alyssa can be.  Seemed Whitney did something similar this week too.  I don't click on their links, but what I have looked up is out of this chics budget.  I'll stick to my Maybelline and other over the counter makeup.  Has anyone ever bought anything they've pushed?  No judgement, just asking.

Agree, Katie looked pretty damn happy with Josie. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, So unbelievable said:

Has anyone ever bought anything they've pushed?  No judgement, just asking.

I haven't. Nothing against them, but I don't trust any Influencer to give a totally honest opinion. I've actually had better luck with many drugstore products than I have with pricey stuff from Sephora.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

So, Katie has "baby fever"? The girl just got married...please exercise some common sense here. She is still so immature herself..grow up first then think about children.

Unlikely, but that would be nice. She just got married. Enjoy being marrying, going out, traveling and other stuff without having to cart a baby around. She could wait a couple years or even five and still have a bunch of kids.  

• Love 6

I know you can't be that finicky when you have toddlers as they have a way of constantly eating food off the ground but I'm kind of grossed out watching Josie's IG story. She's gushing about how her friends spoil her babies blah blah bc some friend bought donuts for Willow bc she was talking about them [I'm sorry you two make enough $ that you don't need to be grifting for free food for your kids like your dad did]. Friend left them on the porch on the doormat. While Josie is sitting there gushing, Willow parks herself on the ground and is trying to pry the box open - touching the door mat and the porch which appears to have obvious droppings - either bird or white paint. She then proceeds to grab a donut and eat. And then touches other donuts in the box in an attempt to pick one for her sister - which she picks out and then puts it on the door mat for her sister to eat. You know the door mat the FedEx guy stands on when delivering goods, where people wipe off the dirt or fertilizer on the bottom of their shoes that has been collected from a day of running errands and walking across various parking lots and lawns, or where their father wipes off his boots after doing lord knows what plumbing in lord knows whose house.

Meanwhile Josie is just sitting there making yummy noises?? But at some point takes the girls inside bc Hazel's donut from the doormat is then featured broken into small pieces and all over her highchair tray as she eats.

Uh?? I know the sisters are far too busy being Insta influencers but don't you tell a 2 yr old NO?? Like if you were going to eat indoors anyway, why not say - we're bringing this box inside and I will open it and you can pick your donut. Isn't Willow old enough and smart enough that you start telling her - no you only touch the item you have chosen, you don't put your hands on the rest of them. Or even if you were going to eat outdoors, that's fine but why wouldn't you hand each kid a donut instead of letting a 2 yr old decide that a floor mat looks just like a place mat at the dining table so it's fine to put food on it + it's fine to touch bird or paint droppings and then eat?? This is where you can see that the Bates kids' upbringing was somewhat feral, no matter how sophisticated they want to act now.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5

Adults see this and get grossed out. No we wouldn't do this. But kids have been picking things up an puting them in their mouths for ages. They have been known to eat bugs, dog food, dirt etc. It is gross but there is some evidence that a little dirt as long as there is no animal waste or toxins in it never hurt a child and helps build their immune system. While keeping children too sanitary can cause problems down the road like allergies.  I have a feeling that Josie's kids are doing what most kids do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

It also grosses me out that Kelton comes home from his job and doesn't change out of his work clothes before preparing food and cooking.  Especially with his job.  He may not be elbow deep in shit all day, but it is a pretty dirty job.  Unless he is in the office all day, but still.  

Tonight's story has him preparing a HUGE slab of beef.  That must have cost a fortune!!  

Edited by So unbelievable
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3