Type keyword(s) to search

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I saw that beef, and yowza! Business must be good!

A 15 pound brisket, but I think Josie mentioned spending the day at a lake tomorrow. They are probably feeding quite a few people. 

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I saw that beef, and yowza! Business must be good!

I am starting to think these former tv mega families are getting some sort of subsidy from the anti-abortion fundie groups.  “Look we can still afford kids, nice home, constant travel, fab food and fashion!”

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The brisket looks good, my husband was impressed since Kelton hasn’t been cooking long. I think I’m hearing things because I thought Josie said they were going to a shower for Kelton’s sister. Does he have a sister old enough to be in a courtship? BTW, my hearing is seriously bad, pound of salt. 

• Love 2
On 3/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, 65mickey said:

I think the flowers are cute. This is her style very neutral. She pointed out in her instagram that the chlldren have lots of colorful toys that they play with. Willow is not an infant and she doesn't need colorful walls to stimulate her. I have seen Willow and Hazel on the floor playing with colorful blocks and trains etc. This is more stimulating than the color of their walls to me anyway.   I doubt that Josie pays much attention to how others think she should decorate her children's room. Thats what I find appealing about Josie. She knows what she wants and is not easily swayed.

I just watched an OpenHouseNewYork from 2007 featuring a triplex apartment in lower Manhattan and the color scheme for the family's nursery was white, beige and gray! Didn't know that trend started that long ago. The woman also had three large framed prints hanging on the wall right nest to the crib. Yikes! Not even children's art. 

Josie posted in her stories today that she went to Kentucky with Lydia to find a wedding dress. Kelly was there but not Lydia's mom, which is kind of weird. 

Anyways, Lydia was driving, looking into the camera and talking as Josie recorded while they were on the freaking highway. I wanted to scream "PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!!!." Seriously, can these girls not make a two-minute video in the driveway before they leave? All it takes is a split second of distraction for an accident to occur. Thankfully they made it to Renee's in one piece 🙄.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Josie posted in her stories today that she went to Kentucky with Lydia to find a wedding dress. Kelly was there but not Lydia's mom, which is kind of weird. 

Anyways, Lydia was driving, looking into the camera and talking as Josie recorded while they were on the freaking highway. I wanted to scream "PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!!!." Seriously, can these girls not make a two-minute video in the driveway before they leave? All it takes is a split second of distraction for an accident to occur. Thankfully they made it to Renee's in one piece 🙄.

Same to all!  Where is her family?  Seems sad they weren't there, unless there's some backstory to where the Mom is.  I would hate KJ at my dress shopping experience. 

They just don't think anything will happen to them.  I would also think someone in the car would say "Pay attention"!

• Love 5

OMG Kelton is smoking Boston Butts on his Traeger. That guy can cook. Josie is so fortunate that he cooks, helps her with her business and from all that we see he is a great dad.  

These two of all of the Bates adult children seem to be the most ambitious and also enjoy their lives.  

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

OMG Kelton is smoking Boston Butts on his Traeger. That guy can cook. Josie is so fortunate that he cooks, helps her with her business and from all that we see he is a great dad.  

These two of all of the Bates adult children seem to be the most ambitious and also enjoy their lives.  

Last week Josie used one of Kelton’s business trucks to move a large shipment of hats to her store. She actually had to call him to navigate a stubborn break or gear. It’s funny because Josie learned to drive in a 15 passenger van but the truck was intimidating. Between her business and the weddings she should be doing well financially. If they only stopped the baby train. They have three businesses that need their attention. Josie is very young, they can wait a few years and still have a few more kids as young parents. My husband and I were hoping for an update on the pork butts. I’m planning to buy him a smoker for Father’s Day. The one they have retails for $2000.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 6

He said that he has the Timberline 850 and this retails for around $2,099. I can't imagine that he would need something more expensive just for cooking family meals. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

He said that he has the Timberline 850 and this retails for around $2,099. I can't imagine that he would need something more expensive just for cooking family meals. 

He mentioned that the next smoker up in size was only $50 more, but he didn’t see the need for the extra space. Darn, $2,000 is pricey to me. I guess I’m just cheap. 😂

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

You'd be amazed.  There is a whole smoking culture out there.  SIL has gotten into it.  He recently had a $5,000 on sale smoker delivered to the house.  He cooks two to four meals on it at a time.  He did the meat for his mother's passover seder with 30 people.  

He sounded like Kelton when he got the second one.  That one was fancy enough and big enough and he could imagine wanting more.  After several years, it was nearing the point of needing repairs.  Then he went to the store and now there is the new smoker.  It won't happen in two years, but if they keep having children and Kelton stays interested, I can see him moving up.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, SMama said:

He mentioned that the next smoker up in size was only $50 more, but he didn’t see the need for the extra space. Darn, $2,000 is pricey to me. I guess I’m just cheap. 😂

Me too. That's a lot of money.

• Love 5

Smokers are an expense not an investment.  :)  A useful expense, but the ones in the range Kelton bought don't have more than a decade of longevity in them if they're used regularly.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

It's probably not a bad investment for family BBQ get together, considering the size of Jose's family. And the hoards of kids that will be birthed between them all.

The thing is I don’t see Kelton spending much when it comes to feeding Josie’s family. This is the second time in less than a month that Kelton has spent a lot on meat (25 lb. brisket last time) for a family event. When it was his turn to cook for the ski trip Kelton grilled burgers. Dude obviously holds a grudge, so I don’t see him spending his money on them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, SMama said:

The thing is I don’t see Kelton spending much when it comes to feeding Josie’s family. This is the second time in less than a month that Kelton has spent a lot on meat (25 lb. brisket last time) for a family event. When it was his turn to cook for the ski trip Kelton grilled burgers. Dude obviously holds a grudge, so I don’t see him spending his money on them. 

THIS. And both events have been for HIS family. Last time it was his sister's baby shower and this time IDK if there's a formal event but he mentioned HIS family is coming over. They spend zero time with her family and what minimal time they spend, he's not cooking for them - neither wasting the time nor the money - nor does he want to spend a half a day with them on a weekend. They show up at her parents' house for I Love You Day and the annual Christmas pic/present opening and attend whatever wedding is happening that year, and the rest of the time is with his family.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What was the event Kelton cooked for this time? Josie had a ton of slides in her stories, and I found myself often losing focus. 

He only said it was for an event with his family. They didn’t post about his sister’s baby shower, so we may not get any pics tomorrow. Looks like Kelton’s family is camera shy. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

To be fair, hosting his family is a lot easier then hosting Josie's family.  There's only  7 of them apart from Kelton, counting his brother-in-law and soon to be sister-in-law.

That said, I do think there is a lingering resentment directed at Gil.  Seriously, J & K have been married for almost 4 years now.  Time to let go of the grudge. 

My in-laws immigrated to Canada from Italy when my husband was 8.  They were not happy at all about him marrying a Canadian girl.  No one from his side came to our wedding.  Once it was a done deal though they accepted me.  We have been married for 42 years.  Sure, I could have said I wanted nothing to do with them, but I chose to move on. The irony is that all of his cousins who married "approved spouses" are divorced. 

Josie does see her family fairly often- she drops the girls off at the big house if she needs a babysitter, does Kelly's hair for her regularly, and I believe she and Kelton go to Gil's church.  

Kelton needs to get off his high horse and move on.  As noted in previous posts, he runs a successful business, encourages Josie's efforts with her business, cooks, and dotes on his daughters.  Surely if some older guy comes sniffing around when Willow or Hazel are 14 he will tell them to get lost.  He strikes me as a "rules for thee but not for me” kind of guy. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, SMama said:

Bur they were in Colorado not at home cooking on his Traeger. I bet he was using a smaller grill.  I remember when they went shopping in Colorado to purchase food for the cookout.  And buying and cooking food for the Bates group is a lot more expensive than for Kelton's family. To be fair we don't know if he has cooked for the Bates. We only see a small part of their lives.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, So unbelievable said:

For some reason, probably because they are boring and lose my attention, I thought maybe he was making all that food for a celebration the family was having for Evan finishing school.  Guess not.  

Yeah I don't see them celebrating Evan at all - like not even acknowledging his graduation, let alone having E&C over. Josie is a lot like Alyssa - she herself doesn't want a ton to do with her family, so given that Kelton doesn't even like his inlaws/has grudges, why is he going to bother?

I think Josie is fine with Michael, so Kelton is fine with M&B too. I think M&B haven't taken sides in these sibling feuds and instead prefer to act like everyone's big siblings/responsible parents - so everyone calls them when in need. I assume they hang out at least some with Bobby and Tori too, esp. since Bobby and Kelton are besties and I imagine they want their kids to grow up together; but given that Bobby & Tori don't prefer on social media as much, we don't see their hangouts. And Josie has had Erin over before to do her hair yet it wasn't a sister only hang out as Kelton was hanging out with them and grilling burgers for everyone; and J&K have said before that a cheesecake challenge with Erin would be fun. I think to the minimal extent they hang out with the family, they've fallen in with the more traditional/religious sisters - Erin/Tori/Michael - who incidentally are more interested in hanging out with their own small families, not being in the loud chaotic Bates house with everyone talking over each other - as Carlin and Whit enjoy.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

Who watches Josie’s children when she’s at work?

Josie said she has a sitter on Mondays, so she can focus on the store/werehouse. Perhaps Kelton takes care of his children since the weddings are during weekends.

I wonder if the absence of pictures/video of Balka family events is intentional to ward off comparisons between their time with each side of the family. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

To be fair, hosting his family is a lot easier then hosting Josie's family.  There's only  7 of them apart from Kelton, counting his brother-in-law and soon to be sister-in-law.

That said, I do think there is a lingering resentment directed at Gil.  Seriously, J & K have been married for almost 4 years now.  Time to let go of the grudge. 

My in-laws immigrated to Canada from Italy when my husband was 8.  They were not happy at all about him marrying a Canadian girl.  No one from his side came to our wedding.  Once it was a done deal though they accepted me.  We have been married for 42 years.  Sure, I could have said I wanted nothing to do with them, but I chose to move on. The irony is that all of his cousins who married "approved spouses" are divorced. 

Josie does see her family fairly often- she drops the girls off at the big house if she needs a babysitter, does Kelly's hair for her regularly, and I believe she and Kelton go to Gil's church.  

Kelton needs to get off his high horse and move on.  As noted in previous posts, he runs a successful business, encourages Josie's efforts with her business, cooks, and dotes on his daughters.  Surely if some older guy comes sniffing around when Willow or Hazel are 14 he will tell them to get lost.  He strikes me as a "rules for thee but not for me” kind of guy. 

Canada! Woohoo! Me too. Anyhow... why does Kelton hold a grudge? Is it because he was told to back off in the beginning when Josie was 14? And yeah, time to let it go and move on. But I do think Kelton looks down on her family. He seems the type to look down on a lot of people actually.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

Canada! Woohoo! Me too. Anyhow... why does Kelton hold a grudge? Is it because he was told to back off in the beginning when Josie was 14? And yeah, time to let it go and move on. But I do think Kelton looks down on her family. He seems the type to look down on a lot of people actually.

Yes.  He was still pissed off about that.  But now that he has daughters of his own you would think that he would be more understanding.  

But yes, there is just something about him that seems off to me.  Maybe he does feel superior to the Bates since he went to college as well as actually being licensed in his trade.  Credit where credit is due- he works hard, does everything by the book, helps out at home, and encourages Josie in her business.  I still get a weird feeling about him though.

In contrast, Evan is loud and goofy and he and Carlin can be ditsy as hell, but he seems likeable and genuine to me.  YMMV of course.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Josie, Kelton, and the girls are leaving for California on Friday.  They are turning the trip to Lawson’s wedding into a vacation.  Josie seemed pretty excited.  

She previously mentioned they may go to Disneyland. Willow is into Minnie Mouse. I hope they make reservations with the park or they will be SOL. Once they return they have Kelton’s brother’s wedding in Florida. That’s a lot of traveling, and good for them. 

• Love 4
(edited)
56 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Josie, Kelton, and the girls are leaving for California on Friday.  They are turning the trip to Lawson’s wedding into a vacation.  Josie seemed pretty excited.  

I saw that. Josie and Kelton must be balling. A week in California, a trip to Disney and then turning around and going to Florida for Kelton's brother's wedding. I'm happy for them as they actually work for their money and don't grift their way through life. I also hope their success encourages them to keep their family at a reasonable size. It's much easier to travel with two or three kids than it is six or seven. 

I thought it was cute Josie nicknamed Kelton's old plumbing truck "Bertha." Jessa Seewald's couch has some competition!

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, 3 is enough said:

Yes.  He was still pissed off about that.  But now that he has daughters of his own you would think that he would be more understanding.  

But yes, there is just something about him that seems off to me.  Maybe he does feel superior to the Bates since he went to college as well as actually being licensed in his trade.  Credit where credit is due- he works hard, does everything by the book, helps out at home, and encourages Josie in her business.  I still get a weird feeling about him though.

In contrast, Evan is loud and goofy and he and Carlin can be ditsy as hell, but he seems likeable and genuine to me.  YMMV of course.

So do I. For me it started with the grudge, he held on to it for so long and even when he was courting Josie he still wasn't over the it. I hate Gil and Kelly, but for once it's wasn't too much to believe parents' would want him to back off or wait until their under age daughter is older. There's also the way he talked about how he still wants a son despite issues that popped up with Hazel (I think it was Hazel) and likely to happen with following pregnancies. You'd think if he loves Josie as much as he claims and with what happen to his mother he'd be the first one saying two kids is enough. Not talking about a son. I'm glad he has a stable job and he is a hard worker. But it's things like that make me distrust him.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 12

The Balkas arrived at LAX early this morning after a hellish flight delay. I think their first flight was delayed 5 hours. I can only imagine the whining if that happened to Carlin, Whitney, or Alyssa. Those two divided and conquered. Kelton walked around with Hazel in the stroller, while Josie took care of Willow. I was surprised they didn’t fly to San Diego, the logical airport. It’ll be interesting to see when the others arrive. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Absolom said:

They're combining vacation with the wedding I believe so the more famous sights  would be in LA.  Sometimes LA flights are cheaper than SD also.  

True, I think my utter dislike of LAX got in the way of critical thinking. We always fly out of San Diego, and now I wonder how much it has cost my husband accommodating me.  I do hope they made reservations for Disneyland. 

• Love 3

Josie has a story and they obviously have their luggage in the car. They are doing a Q&A, can’t blame them because So Cal traffic is wicked. Might as well keep entertained. Willow was whining about going to granny’s house. Josie told her they are an hour away from granny’s house. Maybe they rented a house instead of hotel rooms for so many people. If they are on their way to San Diego it makes less sense to fly to LAX. What happened to Disneyland?

• Useful 1
(edited)

Seems like they have made their way to SD now and are sticking around as Josie is asking for Mothers Day restaurant recs for tomorrow. Wedding isn't until Thursday. My guess is they'll do MD stuff with Kelly/whatever family is there tomorrow and then Sun afternoon thru Tuesday do vacation things with just their family [as in J&K with their kids, maybe inviting along some siblings they like/want to hang with] and then on Wed. will likely have to turn up for a wedding rehearsal esp since Josie is doing hair for the wedding. I imagine it's an early/daytime wedding on Thursday as fundie weddings are rarely night time events and then J&K resume their vacationing possibly heading back towards LA, doing Disney and some of the LA sites. Grant Balka gets married in exactly 2 wks and Kelton has said they have 2 days at home before they fly to Fla. for that wedding. That to me means they aren't leaving for 2-4 days after Law's wedding.

Interesting in the Q&A on the road when Kelton is prattling on with marriage advice he goes - "being married taught me how selfish I am and most conflicts happen when you're being selfish." And Josie goes "I agree." LOL. I'm sure she was agreeing with "conflicts happen when you're being selfish" but it was very telling how she did NOT speak up when he said "I'm selfish" with the usual "oh noooo babe you're def not." Lol I don't think she can deny that they live and will always live how Lord Kelton wants.

Interesting aside Grant Balka works in accounting at a small 5 person CPA firm in Fla. made up of people who appear NOT to be graduates of the fundie college he, his brother, and Bobby went to but rather actual universities in the U. of Florida system; is headed to a masters degree in acct. this fall though who knows if that's to fundie college or a real college. Interesting that there's a brother ok working for others + not working a blue collar job just so he can be his own boss in Tenn. ASAP. Must take more after their dad who worked in IT for years and then later on started his own IT business.

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Josie's kids must be good travelers because I would've lost my mind after that first delay. 

I feel like the status of the siblings' finances are taking shape now that the family no longer has the show. Kelton and Josie are comfortable enough to not only attend the wedding but make a weeklong vacation out of it, go to Disney and then turn around and head to Florida. Whit and Carlin are also bringing their whole families while Alyssa isn't going. I'm not saying Alyssa is broke by any means, but you do see subtle signs of belt tightening. 

Back to Kelton, I also caught that Josie didn't contradict him when he said he had to learn to be unselfish. They're definitely an example of opposites attract. Kelton is Type A and very intense while Josie's more of a free spirit. It's great that he's determined to be a good provider, but you wonder if his hyper-focus ever crosses the line into being work obsessed. Although, it could just be the pressure of owning a business and being responsible for the livelihood of a dozen guys, so who knows. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

I don't see Kelton as being work obsessed. He is taking a week off for the wedding and then going to Florida for his brother's wedding. And he took a week off this winter for a trip to Colorado. He seems to be home around dinner time to cook those delicious meals. I imagine when his Mom passed way he had to mature quickly and this translated into being more serious than most kids his age.  Kelton must have someone that he depends on when he is not available especially if Bobby is not there to manage the shop and appointments.  

Oh and Josie posted on her instagram stories. She looks so different when she is not wearing a full face of makeup especially those Daisy Duck eyelashes. She is such a pretty girl and she looks like she could be in high school.  It's a shame that the Bates girls are all obsessed with makeup. 

• Love 7

Josie got to check off an item on her bucket list. She got to go on a sailboat, “with real sails.” It was very romantic, just them, and Kelly, Katie, Lydia, the captain, and a woman I didn’t recognize. Josie said sweet friends were teaching Kelton about using the sails. It would have made more sense if they were there with other couples. Kelly just likes being one of the girls. I wonder who had the honor of babysitting Willow and Hazel. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Josie and Kelton really seem to enjoy the life that they have built, good for them. They are more adventurous than the rest of the siblings.  It looks like they had a great time sailing. I think it is sweet that the girls enjoy being with Kelly. There is nothing wrong with being best friends with your mom when you are an adult. 

• Love 2

I grew up in a coastal New England town, so sailing was a big part of my youth. I'm glad the Bateses got to experience it, because it's an absolute blast. I don't have an issue with adults doing their own thing, but I side-eye Kelly a bit. She's always off having fun while Ellie, Addie and Callie are stuck watching the kids. She's a lot like Michelle Duggar where they prefer the oldest set of kids, give cursory attention to the middle, and don't bother with the youngest. 

I will say though, the clips of Kelly losing it in the parking lot because people kept taking her spaces had me rolling. That so would've been my mom, except the rant would've had four-letter words mixed in. 

Mz. Josie's California wardrobe is absolute 🔥🔥🔥

Katie wasted no time ditching Travis for her mom and sister, lol. She's like her old self when she's back with her family. 

• Love 4

Where were Gil and Travis and Trace? Off doing manly men stuff? It is sad that instead of letting the younger kids experience California it seems like they are off babysitting. We know they aren’t doing school work. 

Looks like Josie and Kelton spent Friday on the beach and are headed back to Tennessee today.  I don’t know if they ended up taking Willow to Disneyland but I expect some sort of photo drop when they get home. 

On a more serious note, I noticed in the beach photos and some previous stories that Hazel’s feet both turn in at quite a noticeable angle. There was one story where Josie was holding Hazel’s hands and walking with her and it was very obvious. I wonder if the doctors have addressed this with them.

Two of my kids had one foot that turned inwards and I had to do stretching exercises, plus they wore special orthopedic shoes until they were about 18 months old.  The shoes looked like they were on the wrong foot and people were constantly telling me that I had their shoes on wrong.  🙄 My son actually had a cast for 6 weeks when he was 6 months old to turn his foot outward.  It didn’t bother him at all- he crawled around and pulled himself up. He was walking at 10 1/2 months and by the time they were both just over a year old they were wearing regular shoes. Hopefully Hazel will be fine and Josie just doesn’t want to share anything about her health, but it was very noticeable to me.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

They did go to Disney. I think Josie's business partner posted a pic on her Instagram. People are speculating Josie may not post pics at all because she doesn't want the backlash from her conservative followers. 

Josie and Kelton are buying a camper and are looking forward to lots of camping this summer. They said it was a great deal but Josie thinks it’s outdated and needs cosmetic work. Looking forward to see how outdated it is compared to Cherin’s. Where do these people get those great deals? SGirl and I would love a camper and there’s only three of us.  SBaba says he’ll rather pay obscene prices for hotels. I think we may be wearing him down to at least rent a camper. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, SMama said:

Josie and Kelton are buying a camper and are looking forward to lots of camping this summer. They said it was a great deal but Josie thinks it’s outdated and needs cosmetic work. Looking forward to see how outdated it is compared to Cherin’s. Where do these people get those great deals? SGirl and I would love a camper and there’s only three of us.  SBaba says he’ll rather pay obscene prices for hotels. I think we may be wearing him down to at least rent a camper. 

Will they be able to use it at that camp ground Kelton's family always goes too? It would actually make sense for them to get a camper if they can use it there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So now Josie is making her hubby whore out clothes?  I hate skinny pants, jeans, whatever you want to call them, on a man.  Also find it funny that on the same day, Carlin shows Evan whoring out, I think, the same clothes.  Such competition. 
Carlin also mentioned Zach endorses the same clothes.  He's no one to be selling clothes.  At least Even/Kelton are semi fit.  Not that I'm one to talk, but Zach thinks he's so hot and built.  Gross 🤢

• LOL 1
  • Love 3