Type keyword(s) to search

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

• Start Topic

Josie and Kelton are driving home from their Florida beach vacation.  She did not participate in any of the activities involving Katie this week, and today Katie and Alyssa are in Miami for some sort of "girls day".

I am starting to wonder if Kelton is the reason behind her seeming to distance herself from the larger family activities.  I understand Florida is a big state, and whatever beach they chose for their vacation might not have been close enough to Alyssa's place. But she is Katie's maid of honor, and yet it seems Carlin and Alyssa are much more involved in the wedding planning and activities.

I have also noticed that they do spend a lot of time with Kelton's family, and while she still drops Willow off at the big house when she has a busy work day, and she does Kelly's hair, she just doesn't seem to be included in many of her siblings' outings.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4

I've noticed it too. It feels like Carlin and Josie are the Fundie version of Helen and Annie from Bridesmaids, and Josie's been sidelined. Josie did a lengthy "best friend" tribute on Katie's birthday, which felt a tad desperate. It's like the sisters are in some weird competition to be top dog in Katie's life. 

I do agree a lot of it might have to do with Kelton. He isn't as amiable as Evan, and for as much as he swoons over Josie, he strikes me as the type of husband who won't hesitate to put his foot down. I also think he's super into his business, and won't blow off work to partake in Bates shenanigans. 

I think Katie's wedding is going to be the most interesting of the bunch. There's so many tense dynamics going on right now, you wonder how it will all play out. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
34 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I think Katie and Alyssa are visiting Tikki (?) in Miami. She’s the one who gifts Alyssa all those matchy match dresses for the girls.

I guess Alyssa figured she has to do an obligatory visit to keep those free dresses rolling in 🙄.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

They were on vacation in Destin which a 6 hr+ drive from Orlando, so they couldn't easily stop by. But I do think if it was important to Josie to be there, there is no reason they couldn't have vacationed at the beaches near Tampa which are 90 min away- and Josie could have driven there by herself or with the youngest kid for 1 day out of their weeklong vacation; or they could have planned their Destin vacation vs. the trip with Katie at different times.

Something about Josie and Kelton just seems off to me. He comes off controlling in that "such a nice successful guy" in front of others but at home it's "his way or the highway" demeanor. It's always weird that if she ever does any kind of "spontaneous" IG live like taking questions etc. with him there, she HAS to sit around complimenting him about how smart he is, how fabulous of a business man he is, how successful he is, what a blessing he is, how he's teaching her or helping her with X blah blah as he sits there soaking it in; she just did this tonight gushing about how he's helped her so much in balancing motherhood vs. working by having her come up with "systems" for getting tasks done. You don't see Alyssa, Carlin etc. forcibly gushing about how much they learn from their men and how they'd be bumbling fools without them (I mean they are fools but in any event their men don't seem to EXPECT gushing, it just happens spontaneously sometimes not every time).

I think he's drawn some hard lines with the Bates family vs. his family and those lines INCLUDE Josie; like if he doesn't want to hang out with the Bates, fine, but I feel like he "stops her" or "disapproves" enough that she doesn't go even though she otherwise would have. Yet on the flip side when it's his family, she MUST go - she's always there at his dad's house, on lame weeklong camping trips etc. 

They're young as long as she can manage the kids (bc let's be real Kelton ain't doing much esp with girl children), IDK why they can't ever be apart? Why can't he go camping with his family for a few days and she goes down to Fla. with Katie and co. for a day or two for wedding things as long as she can bring the kids? Carlin def goes on trips with her family even if Evan can't - this Fla. trip; prior Fla. trips; ski trips or South Carolina trips where Evan doesn't come or shows up at the end for a weekend. I realize he has his business so he can't just close up shop for every random last minute Bates trip, but her business is selling barrettes by mail - it's not that big of a deal for orders to wait 3 days.

I wonder if the sisters are pissed at her/don't understand because yeah the 25 posts for Katie's birthday were a bit over the top, like she was compensating/apologizing for not coming with Katie on this trip, nor on the girls trip they did recently to the beach before her wedding etc. I feel like Josie is the only one with a husband of the controlling personality. Evan and John are pretty laid back and their wives kind of wear the pants anyway; Chad is whipped by Erin if she wanted to go, he'd be watching all 4 kids but I think they're on the same page re mom's place at home; Tori seems like SHE doesn't like the hassle of traveling and dealing with the kids for yet another sister thing but I don't get the sense at all that it's Bobby - if anything I think Bobby may love a few days apart; same with Brandon/Michaela - I don't see Brandon stopping her from going as much as Michaela may think eh this is for the younger girls, I'll feel out of place etc.

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

These girls all have codependent relationships.  None are used to being by themselves.  They can't be without their men for more than a few days.  Carlin at least tries for a couple days without him.  The others are attached at the hip.  They are taught that is the women's place, by, or behind, her man.  He comes first, hence the need for them to constantly, sickeningly stroking their husbands egos. 
I supported my husband too, but not to that extreme.  But they are all very newly married.  See how they act in a decade.  Will that praise be so much with 5 kids and hubby is out working all the time? 

Edited by So unbelievable
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 10/8/2021 at 12:49 PM, BitterApple said:

I've noticed it too. It feels like Carlin and Josie are the Fundie version of Helen and Annie from Bridesmaids, and Josie's been sidelined. Josie did a lengthy "best friend" tribute on Katie's birthday, which felt a tad desperate. It's like the sisters are in some weird competition to be top dog in Katie's life. 

I do agree a lot of it might have to do with Kelton. He isn't as amiable as Evan, and for as much as he swoons over Josie, he strikes me as the type of husband who won't hesitate to put his foot down. I also think he's super into his business, and won't blow off work to partake in Bates shenanigans. 

I think Katie's wedding is going to be the most interesting of the bunch. There's so many tense dynamics going on right now, you wonder how it will all play out. 

I think kelton and Josie are fine…he is very successful  business wise and financially …which may have caused the other girls to be a tad jealous… it may seem kelton is putting his foot down…but In comparison to the fly by the seat of your pants mentality of the bates family..Josie is probably gravitating towards structure and normalcy…she probably has no household skills at all..and maybe kelton really is helping her navigate how to be a mom, take care of a household and a business…although I see her business eventually fading away as keltons business grows…it also seems like she has struggled with a bit of postpartum depression after this baby..anyway…i just compare what she has to Carlin ..who we all have seen how she treats her baby..no schedule, no clothes, junk food etc…and Alyssa who serves lunchables and junk food like it’s a five star buffet …kelton and Josie look tight and strict in comparison but are probably closer to normal …

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I actually DO think there is a control issue with Kelton -- just by how they interact; how she never dares rib him even jokingly like most people do with a spouse; how she'd never dares snap at him or talk back like Alyssa and Erin do even on camera. I definitely think he wears the pants in that marriage and she 100% knows that. How he wants to live is how they will live. He has said he wants 5 kids - and I think they will have 5 come hell or high water, Josie's blood disorder or PPA - well she'll just have to figure that out.

But to give him the benefit of the doubt, I think he's an extremely planned out person - which is what allowed him to get his plumbing license at 16, then go to college, then run his uncle's business, and then start his own and expand it really quickly all by age 26. And I think that same planning extends to his family too -- like he came into marriage 100% having a vision of how his home life will be and the wife WILL MAKE IT SO and once he realized he married someone with no home skills - he took to "teaching her" how he wants to live. I think he has gotten her "buy in" along the lines of -- oh babe you don't know these things, here let me teach you about business, life, raising a family, and running a household and together we'll be this fundie power couple with the perfect family, home, and life. And she goes with it - bc she knows he's going to get what he wants anyway + she doesn't like her own family/how she was raised + likely she sees how he was raised versus her and she wants what he had (I think he grew up with some $ as his dad owned his own IT business for years though sold it).

I think Kelton was very clear in his own head - he'd have a nice home; it would be kept well by the wife - not a pig sty like Carlin's; his kids would be clean and well dressed and well fed - not being raised on lunchables and frozen PBJ sandwiches; there would be dinner on the table for him at 5 pm nightly. And if his wife didn't know how to do these things, he'd "train her." I mean Josie was also one of the ones who came into marriage with the - oh IDK how to cook; guess what - she cooks. It isn't the most elaborate stuff like Erin but she's routinely posting pics of making roasts; chicken and rice; tacos; etc. and they aren't running to get fast food 4 days/wk.

His approach to life is much different than his brothers in law. Bestie Bobby fell into plumbing bc he didn't know what else to do but wanted to work w/ Kelton; Chad - started at the metals co bc that's the only job he could find in Knox; Evan - medical office receptionist who decided ok I need to make $ eventually, fine electrician it is. And John and Chad - yeah they know life will be how their wives want it and they dare say nothing about it.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh No. Josie's dress for the wedding. IMO, ugly and not flattering.

image.png.bb9959705c6244869860518cbad0bb23.png

At least Josie doesn’t have one of her hats on. Those boots remind me of go go boots from the 60’s, and not in a good way. Bobby and Tori look nice, was their son in the wedding?

• Love 8

Pictures are starting to trickle in on the siblings’ Instagram pages. I do not know what Josie was thinking with her outfit.  Tight rust colored dress with adjustable ruching on the sides.  And white ankle boots that don’t really match and are not flattering to her legs.  Kind of surprised because she usually looks more put together than that. 
Now they are all heading to NJ for Katie’s shower.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

Pictures are starting to trickle in on the siblings’ Instagram pages. I do not know what Judie was thinking with her outfit.  Tight rust colored dress with adjustable ruching on the sides.  And white ankle boots that don’t really match and are not flattering to her legs.  Kind of surprised because she usually looks more put together than that. 
Now they are all heading to NJ for Katie’s shower.

It’s exhausting just following the Bates family on SM with all the showers and weddings etc! Since it looks like the wedding was filmed by Up for BUB, I’m guessing we won’t see full wedding party pictures. Between Josie, Carlin and Alyssa normally we’d have seen every bit! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yes, Kelton is wearing sneakers 🙄. You'd think he'd have at least one decent pair of dress shoes. It's not like he can't afford them.

Josie's ensemble is one big wtf. Shiny material and ruching is a surefire way to make your body look lumpy. 

Tori is morphing into Kelly. All she needs is a denim maxi and puffy vest. Her kids are adorable. 

• Love 14

So glad I wasn't the only one who thought Josie's dress was horrible!  What is her obsession with nothing but tan, rust and orange color palette.  I would hate looking back at photo albums and seeing everything the same.  
And yes, Tori is turning into Kelly Jo, looks okay, but so frumpy.  

• Love 5

Found the dress.  People were actually saying they loved  it in the comments. 

https://josiesboutique.com/collections/dresses/products/flying-south-button-up-satin-dress?variant=40548247240901

$50. Looks like cheap polyester. And surprise! The model was wearing white ankle boots with it.  The model did have the skirt cinched up so it was shorter, which I think looked better, but I guess that would not have been acceptable for the wedding.

I bet she has a deal with them and got it for free.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

https://josiesboutique.com/collections/dresses/products/flying-south-button-up-satin-dress?variant=40548247240901

$50. Looks like cheap polyester. And surprise! The model was wearing white ankle boots with it.  The model did have the skirt cinched up so it was shorter, which I think looked better, but I guess that would not have been acceptable for the wedding.

Why does the model low-key look like Jessa Duggar? The dress is ugly and unflattering even in the professional photos. When models with perfect bodies can't make it look good, it's a no-go. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Why does the model low-key look like Jessa Duggar? The dress is ugly and unflattering even in the professional photos. When models with perfect bodies can't make it look good, it's a no-go. 

No worries about outshining the bride in that dress...well...in a way she did...

• LOL 10

I never understood the ankle boot trend.  They look fine with pants, or if they are worn with tights in the same color.  But the way Josie wore hers they cut off her leg at an unflattering spot, and they made her feet look big.  The only plus was that they didn’t have peep toes.  That is one I really don’t get!

Katie wore some black ankle boots to her shower.  Again, not a fan. I will say they looked better than Josie’s, but that is a pretty low bar.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I feel sorry for the models having to look enthusiastic.

I offer you this link to St. John's Knits where the model in $1500 (full retail price) dress has the expression I would expect from someone wearing the schmata that Josie chose to wear.  My biggest fear with Josie's dress, was she able to keep her knees appropriately covered?  We've learned from the Duggars that knees drive men wild with lust.  How could we expect them to control themselves? 

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

She wears a lot of clothes from this boutique. I guess Bates Sisters Boutique isn’t her style. Noticed in the description that the dress was more for dress down wearing, not really wedding attire. But the boots were the worst. I think she wore them to Katie’s shower too.

• Love 2

Katie Josie's outfit is very retro to me.

I like Tori's outfit. That sweater is huge and it would look better without it. On the other, she looks great a woman who has spent the past 3-4 years pregnant. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4

All I can say in regards to josies dress….I hate that copper/ rust/ bronze color..and it’s all the rage with the bates, the duck wives and Audrey of the little 

the neutrals thrown in=boring…blech

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Dimi1 said:

All I can say in regards to josies dress….I hate that copper/ rust/ bronze color..and it’s all the rage with the bates, the duck wives and Audrey of the little 

the neutrals thrown in=boring…blech

I don’t mind the colour.  It has always been one of the more flattering colours on me.  And for years you could not find it. But the difference is I only have one or two pieces and I wear lots of other colours too.  The monotone wardrobe Josie seems to favor for herself and her girls and her home is just boring.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I don’t mind the colour.  It has always been one of the more flattering colours on me.  And for years you could not find it. But the difference is I only have one or two pieces and I wear lots of other colours too.  The monotone wardrobe Josie seems to favor for herself and her girls and her home is just boring.

yep you hit the nail on the head...the wardrobe is monotone...all neutral/earth colors...copper/ mustard/beige/stone...all of them wear - sell and promote clothes in this color...Joanna gaines better start wearing some red and fuchsia and teal...so we can have more selection...:)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

So Josie got off the plane last night and Kelton whisked her off for a Balka family camping trip. 
I may be reading too much into this, but it feels like “ I let you go on your sister’s bachelorette trip, now it’s time for MY family.” 
I get it to a certain extent- the Bates family is so large and overbearing that if boundaries aren’t set they will swallow you up. But I also get a very controlling vibe from Kelton. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I get it to a certain extent- the Bates family is so large and overbearing that if boundaries aren’t set they will swallow you up. But I also get a very controlling vibe from Kelton. 

51 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The Balkas go camping every month, so it seems. She can miss one. 

I really don't like Kelton. He got his woman, and he's not shy about being her boss. 

Agree and agree. I don't like Kelton either, and not to get too woo-woo here, but something about his aura is off. I understand that the Bates family will consume you if you don't set limits, but if you consider the stuff Josie's been to in the last month (Nathan's wedding, Katie's showers, the Bachelorette) those are things she has to attend. She's Katie's MOH, so she can't just blow these events off, obnoxious as they might have been. 

Also consider that Josie drove to their family vacation in FL, drove to PA for the wedding, drove to NJ for the second shower, drove back to TN, flew to FL and back, and she just HAD to go camping? And she has to work a wedding tomorrow?! Seriously Kelton, you couldn't sit this one out? I agree, it absolutely reeks of "I just spent two weeks going to your family's shit, so you can go to mine." Not good. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have a hard time reading Kelton. I kind of think Josie likes the craziness of her life and feels important to be pulled in so many places.

Maybe she likes his focus on her by Kelton as opposed to being the middle of a pack of 19 kids?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I think people for get that Josie is 22 years old. She has a lot more energy and stamina that many of us. She said that camping is her family's favorite thing to do. So possibly this was a relaxing and fun trip for her. I don't get the Kelton hate. He seems to adore Josie. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I think people for get that Josie is 22 years old. She has a lot more energy and stamina that many of us. She said that camping is her family's favorite thing to do. So possibly this was a relaxing and fun trip for her. I don't get the Kelton hate. He seems to adore Josie. 

Good point about her age. 

I don't doubt Kelton adores her and the girls.  And he does seem to be a very responsible young man, with a strong work ethic.  He's on track to be a successful business owner.  

It's just that I get a strong "I am the boss" vibe from him.  I don't think he likes his in-laws, just puts up with them for Josie's sake.  And I was really put off by him grabbing her ass at their wedding.  It gave off a real "she's mine now- I can do what I want " vibe.  He has the final say in that house, IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Maybe she likes his focus on her by Kelton as opposed to being the middle of a pack of 19 kids?

This is an interesting  and thought-provoking point! And it makes me wonder if girls (like Josie) growing up in this fundie super-size family world would be able to tell the difference, after years of sharing parental attention with multiple siblings, between genuine affection & attention received from a guy/suitor and unhealthy control/ownership and/or obsession from a suitor/spouse.  Personally I'm not sure where Kelton fits on such a spectrum, but I think it could be easy to confuse the two for these girls.  It's typical for young adults to lack the experience and maturity to properly interpret the motivations behind attention from the opposite sex in the face of puberty, even ones in co-ed public school where awareness campaigns are more likely. But it has to be harder yet when raised in these fundie environments where gender equality isn't valued, traditional gender roles are propped, and the #metoo movement is likely frowned upon. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

This is an interesting  and thought-provoking point! And it makes me wonder if girls (like Josie) growing up in this fundie super-size family world would be able to tell the difference, after years of sharing parental attention with multiple siblings, between genuine affection & attention received from a guy/suitor and unhealthy control/ownership and/or obsession from a suitor/spouse.  Personally I'm not sure where Kelton fits on such a spectrum, but I think it could be easy to confuse the two for these girls.  It's typical for young adults to lack the experience and maturity to properly interpret the motivations behind attention from the opposite sex in the face of puberty, even ones in co-ed public school where awareness campaigns are more likely. But it has to be harder yet when raised in these fundie environments where gender equality isn't valued, traditional gender roles are propped, and the #metoo movement is likely frowned upon. 

Spot on. Love this post.

• Love 2

Yes Josie is 22 so she has the stamina to go on 3 back to back trips and then straight from an airport to camping in the freezing cold and then go from the campground to work a wedding for a few hours and back to the freezing cold campground. And I do think Josie and several of the girls feel "important" running from one commitment to another. But let's be real Kelton is 100% controlling and you KNOW this was about - hey we've had to do shit with your family for like 2+ weeks and then I LET YOU go to Florida for FOUR days and I (or likely his family) deal with the kids, NO WAY are you allowed to back out with MY FAMILY. I don't care if we go straight from the airport to the campground, we're doing this.

IDK what him being a successful businessman who is put together/responsible has anything to with their relationship? Sure he's a responsible provider. But he 100% comes across as the controlling fundie headship who is the BOSS of his wife and kids, just like he's the boss at work. He has a VERY specific vision of how he wants his life to be - his business but also his home life. He 100% expects his home to be a certain way, his kids to be raised a certain way, certain types of dinner on the table etc. Josie pretty much says this when she says "Kelton is TRAINING ME." I.E. bc my own mother -- whom Kelton looks down on anyway -- gave me no wife training, Kelton is training me on how he expects HIS home to be run bc he's not just going to compromise or live how I want to live for the next 60 yrs.

And @Peanut6711 is so right - when you're raised in these mega fundie families, all you want is attention from anyone. AND let's be honest with the Bates (Duggars etc.) when a man walks into your life you suddenly start getting attention from said man AND from your parents too bc suddenly they’re SO proud bc now with a man by your side you’re worth something and it's -- omg she's gonna be married in 3 mos, omg she's gonna be gone, let's celebrate her 90 different times from man entering to wedding, when we otherwise used to just give her 1 birthday praise a year. So yeah these girls were all seeking attention from ANY man and did not have the ability to discern if the guy was a good guy or not; controlling or not; creepy or not etc. -- I mean unless the guy flat out yelled at them or something, but controlling narcissists usually have enough charisma to not do that. 

Plus fundie families would never train their girls on - not every man is a good man, be careful - bc the girls were put on this earth to marry and produce babies, so they need not be turning down anyone with a dick who goes to church and looks at them. PLUS there's no need for them to worry their pretty little heads over these issues bc their headships (daddies) are tasked with weeding out the men. But let's be honest there aren't lines of suitors out the door here and these daddies need these girls married and producing babies, nor are the dads sophisticated enough to suss out a bad guy; as long as the guy goes to church and does some god speak about how god has laid it on his heart that Josie is the one, he's getting the green light. I mean look at Josh Duggar; look at Chad Paine's sister marrying a rapist etc.!? At least with Kelton, Gil thought to hold him off so he wouldn't get with his 14 year old daughter - but the dude never questioned why an 18 yr old heading off to college was even pursuing a 14 yr old 8th grader!?

Edited by cereality
  • Love 6

What is this family's obsession with camping IN THE COLD?? Last week it was J&K - all bundled up sitting out there in the freezing cold, though I think his family at least sprang for cabins or rented RVs so they weren't outside. This weekend (or at least last night), it was Evan and Carlin. Uh night time temps in Knox are down to the 40s, some nights even the 30s. And then of course there was the video of Evan complaining at 230 am bc it was cold and starting to rain and all they had to keep out of the elements was their tent - which looks set up on the side of a pond that you'd drive by off a road someplace -- i.e. not even a camping spot where there was some set up or other families; like just the 2 idiots + a baby alone on the side of a road. Hope Evan packs heat like his brother does - you never know who could be out there. I assume J&K went camping because Kelton told Josie she wasn't saying no to his family's vacation, and E&C - I guess they need YT material for next week? But I mean if both of these families couldn't get around to camping while the weather was still at least 50-60 degrees+, the ship has sailed, save it for spring.

• Love 6

You know Carlin, if one does it, then she has to as well.  Did you see the suitcase she was packing prior to leaving?  Come on!  "Cuteness" over functionality.  I know I always make sure to pack my holes in the knees jeans when I go camping. 

The thought of Evan with a gun is laughable.  He might break a manicured nail. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1