Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Llywela said:

Watch Broadchurch, which is all character work. And it is clear from his work here on Who that he actually is more interested in characters than sci fi, all the companions have interesting character stories as their basis, the building blocks for what should have been really strong stuff - the cancer survivor widower trying to connect with his step-grandson, the ambitious young cop trying to build a career after being left suicidal by bullying as a teen, and, yes, the young man with dyspraxia trying to find his place in the world having lost his mum and gran and been abandoned by his dad. Those are the stories he wanted to tell. The trouble is that he tried to squeeze that character work in around the edges of the wacky sci fi storytelling he feels has to come first in this show, and that's where he has fallen down. He's been repressing his character-focused instincts to focus instead on the sci fi, but the sci fi doesn't really interest him as much, and the result is an unbalanced mess. If he'd allowed himself to tell the character stories as a primary focus, and used very simple plots to hang them off, he'd have done much better. But he didn't. He structured his storytelling around sci fi plots and crammed the character work in around the edges, and it didn't work.

I agree about the new companions, they definitely had more potential than what was done with them. It's interesting when I compare them with RTD's characters - in the first season, I think that we knew more about Rose and even Jack who only appeared in the second half, then we know about Yaz or Ryan after two seasons (I think Graham was better developed than them). I still like what we were shown and I hoped that Yaz would be given more focus in the upcoming season, but I guess now it will probably be more focused on the new character and on the season-long story.

16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Although it will never happen I would love see Gaiman as show runner. And since I'm already spit-balling impossible scenarios: Give 14 to Claudia Black.

I dropped out of 13's run after a while. Like others I think Whittaker has been let down by the writing and I reluctantly agree with this piece from the Guardian.

Oh man, Claudia Black?? Aeryn Sun?? I am so down!! Probably won't happen but love the suggestion!!

I'd take Neil Gaiman too but he'll be busy with "Good Omens" and "Sandman," sadly.  Well, not so sadly cause I'm looking forward to both of those lol but sadly for DW.

• Love 2

I like Jodie but am not a fan of 13.  I do think the writing has let her down.  13 is 5th Doctor level passive when dealing with a situation and still has not had a signature moment.  Plus, her characterization feels like it was cribbed too much from 10 and 11.  I agree that in limited time Jo Martin's Doctor was much more effective.  Whether that is due to the actress or the writer, I don't know.

I actually liked Season 2 a lot and thought Chibnall bounced back from a lousy and ill-advised Season 1.  Hated The Timeless Child storyline, which managed to make The Doctor's backstory dull.  I liked the companions but Chibnall never gave them much of a chance to shine by having The Doctor treat them as a collective instead of individuals.  I think another showrunner is due.

I would prefer the next Doctor to be a man because to me The Doctor is a man like Wonder Woman is a woman.  But if it's another actress then so be it.  If it's a Doctor in the vein of Jo Martin or Jo Martin herself then that would be great.  I just hope to become a fan of The Doctor again.  I like Capaldi a lot but never warmed to 12 (Moffat's writing never helped).  

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
On 7/31/2021 at 9:49 AM, MissLucas said:

Although it will never happen I would love see Gaiman as show runner. And since I'm already spit-balling impossible scenarios: Give 14 to Claudia Black.

Claudia Black could make for an interesting storyline.. If we are fantasizing, I'd pick Seanan McGuire for showrunner. I know, American. Still.

• Love 2

tbh, I hope the next Doctor isn't a 'name'. I know who Jodi was from Broadchurch and I watch a lot of Brit tv, but I don't know if I'd call her a name at the time she was announced. I had no idea who Matt Smith was and Nine and Eleven are my favorites. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

tbh, I hope the next Doctor isn't a 'name'. I know who Jodi was from Broadchurch and I watch a lot of Brit tv, but I don't know if I'd call her a name at the time she was announced. I had no idea who Matt Smith was and Nine and Eleven are my favorites. 

For what it's worth, Christopher Eccleston was definitely a 'name' when he was cast to kick off the reboot. He was specifically chosen for that reason, because he was an established and respected actor, instead of picking back up with the less well known McGann. But you are right, the show is (re)established enough now that they shouldn't need a 'name' actor as a draw.

Then again, it depends what you mean by a 'name' actor, because I knew every one of the actors playing the New Who Doctors before they were cast. Matt Smith in Party Animals is still my favourite thing he's ever done.

Speaking of Party Animals, Andrew Buchan would be my pick for the next Doctor (one of them, anyway). He would bring a very different energy to the part, which it sorely needs at this point, after four Doctors in a row essentially written as variations on the same core personality. The Classic Doctors were all much more distinct and I long to see a fresh take on the role now.

• Love 2
Just now, Llywela said:

For what it's worth, Christopher Eccleston was definitely a 'name' when he was cast to kick off the reboot.

No, I know he was. I had seen him before. I think kicking off the new era, you needed a name. He's actually better in the Second Coming than he was as Nine, and I thought he was brilliant as Nine. 

I'm saying widely enough known to an international audience. I'd seen Tennant in a bunch of stuff before Doctor Who too, but I don't know if he was so widely known. Capaldi was probably more well known when he was named. Whittaker was a great choice. I mean someone along the lines of her or Smith. Not someone like Cumberbatch. 

Like I said, I watch a lot of Brit tv, so most of the actors I know already. I've liked Morrissey in a bunch of stuff, so I was excited he was in one of the specials, but I doubt he'd be widely known either, even though that's a great casting choice. Same with Simm. 

I think Smith was the only one I hadn't seen before. Not that I'm the final say in who is a name or not, I think the gist here is clear enough. 

• Love 1
On 7/31/2021 at 8:36 AM, Llywela said:

Watch Broadchurch, which is all character work. And it is clear from his work here on Who that he actually is more interested in characters than sci fi, all the companions have interesting character stories as their basis, the building blocks for what should have been really strong stuff - the cancer survivor widower trying to connect with his step-grandson, the ambitious young cop trying to build a career after being left suicidal by bullying as a teen, and, yes, the young man with dyspraxia trying to find his place in the world having lost his mum and gran and been abandoned by his dad. Those are the stories he wanted to tell. The trouble is that he tried to squeeze that character work in around the edges of the wacky sci fi storytelling he feels has to come first in this show, and that's where he has fallen down. He's been repressing his character-focused instincts to focus instead on the sci fi, but the sci fi doesn't really interest him as much, and the result is an unbalanced mess. If he'd allowed himself to tell the character stories as a primary focus, and used very simple plots to hang them off, he'd have done much better. But he didn't. He structured his storytelling around sci fi plots and crammed the character work in around the edges, and it didn't work.

Never watched Broadfchurch. I despise Tennant AND Chibnall, so you'd have moire luck selling ice to eskimos than getting me to watch it. But I've seen nothing in Chib's own Who, the Who he made for better writers, Torchwood, or the episodes of L&O:UK I watched for Peter Davision to make me think Chibs is a character writer.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Affogato said:

Claudia Black could make for an interesting storyline.. If we are fantasizing, I'd pick Seanan McGuire for showrunner. I know, American. Still.

Oh, she's definitely a good writer. And she writes a strong female lead, if they're going to keep the Doctor female. Has she written TV tho? That's quite different from books. But she's dang good with plot, long story arcs and characters. 

I remember watching the announcement special for Matt and I was concerned when I saw him. I really had doubts he could handle the Doctor. But by the end of the "Eleventh Hour," I was utterly sold. And he became my favorite of the reboot Doctors. 

I came to really like Capaldi, though I think he suffered from the whole thing with Clara and Danny Pink. I actually loved the Moffat era, but that was his biggest misstep IMO. Making it like there was romantic feelings and then bringing in Danny Pink for some stupid triangle. I really think the pairing of Twelve and Bill brought out Capaldi's best and I will be forever sad we didn't get at least two seasons of them together.

I honestly have no idea who they are going to get. I keep looking over the writer's list for the last two seasons. Has to be someone new. Or maybe new-old. 

One of the articles I read said they will be looking in the next couple of months. I imagine they will let the new showrunner then pick their Doctor. I wonder if they will drop the Companions too, or if they will have them carry over?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Affogato said:

If American showrunners are permitted, how about J. Michael Straczynski?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

He was my first thought and my favorite showrunner ever.

It would be nice to have a woman in the job, though. I also really hope we get a Doctor who isn't a man after Jodie.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, JustHereForFood said:

JTE would be a great showrunner.  You would get a beginning, middle and end with him.  He'd have a plan. 

• Love 1
On 8/1/2021 at 11:25 PM, Maren said:

I came to really like Capaldi, though I think he suffered from the whole thing with Clara and Danny Pink. I actually loved the Moffat era, but that was his biggest misstep IMO. Making it like there was romantic feelings and then bringing in Danny Pink for some stupid triangle. I really think the pairing of Twelve and Bill brought out Capaldi's best and I will be forever sad we didn't get at least two seasons of them together.

I was so over Clara and Danny Pink! I liked Capaldi but I felt like that whole storyline was a millstone around his neck. 

Like you, I liked his pairing with Bill. I thought they worked well together and I liked her character. I so wish we could have gotten her a lot sooner! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I was so over Clara and Danny Pink! I liked Capaldi but I felt like that whole storyline was a millstone around his neck. 

Like you, I liked his pairing with Bill. I thought they worked well together and I liked her character. I so wish we could have gotten her a lot sooner! 

I disliked most of Peter’s era (though there were episodes that I liked), in large part because I thought 12 was very unlikeable and I hated 12 and Clara. But 12 got more likeable in Peter’s 3rd season and his relationship with Bill worked well. I watched several years after the fact, over a few weeks in 2018 via streaming; I don’t know if I would have continued watching the first season if I was watching in real time. I think they made a big mistake making 12 so unlikeable initially. People complained that Peter was too old but I think the bigger problem was the struggle to even like the character

• Love 2

So, JMS is investigating the taking over of Dr Who.

He mentions later that he thinks Piers Wenger is the right person to talk to. I know what the BBC said to Joe Hill, but maybe this time.

Actually, they let an American write for Dr Who previously. Jonathan Blum did a few of the Eighth Doctor Adventures way back when, though he collaborated with his wife and safely Commonwealthian Kate Orman, an Aussie, who wrote for the New Adventures before teaming up. So there's technically a precedent.

Furthermore, Sydney Newman, the creator, was Canadian. That's like American with the rough edges smoothed off.

Any other Americans who've written for comics, books, audios?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

JMS likely has no chance to run the show (he doesn’t even know who to contact), but I certainly would like it if he wrote an episode or two

In hindsight, Babylon 5 was full of great ideas. To me, they didn't entirely work as presented. Speeches and comedy both fell flat at times. But there were still plenty of great ideas. If the next showrunner wants some high concepts, they should absolutely talk to JMS.

• Love 2

I think that's a fair criticism, but to be fair, from S1-4 of B5, it did hold up as an overall narrative. You can't plan for actors mental illness or wanting to leave. 

Certainly, he has the chops to plan a 10 - 13 episode narrative, a la Bad Wolf or Saxson/Master. 

• Love 2

Given Matt LeBlanc was hired to front Top Gear I don't see anyone's nationality as being an issue in working for the BBC. Maybe on this specific show they might want a more British sensibility but you could get that from the rest of the production staff, so long as the show runner is prepared to listen.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:58 PM, DanaK said:

People complained that Peter was too old but I think the bigger problem was the struggle to even like the character

I said that at the time, but he grew on me. He isn't that much older than me! 

19 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I said that at the time, but he grew on me. He isn't that much older than me! 

I liked 12 better by the 3rd season when he had gotten softer, but before that there were times I questioned why he even made the effort to help people

5 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I liked 12 better by the 3rd season when he had gotten softer, but before that there were times I questioned why he even made the effort to help people

He was pretty awesome when he softened up some. They wrote him too harsh at the start. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

He was pretty awesome when he softened up some. They wrote him too harsh at the start. 

Aww, I loved 12, he was my favorite Doctor. I attribute it all to Peter Capaldi's performance and enthusiasm on and off screen. I don't generally like grumpy characters, but I found 12 to be really warm, so I didn't mind his grumpiness. I loved him by the 3rd episode, Robot of Sherwood, which I loved, if only for the final scene between Doctor and Robin Hood.

• Love 3
On 8/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, libgirl2 said:

I really do too! What could have been...

I really think the Danny Pink/Clara storyline could have worked if they had toned it down. But it was so over the top with the hostility on Danny's side and the Doctor's, and then Clara so easily turning against the Doctor, like she had forgotten everything she had been thru with Eleven. Moffat went too hard in the whole "Clara is going to leave" buildup, and then she didn't leave and it made the whole thing look even worse.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:07 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Aww, I loved 12, he was my favorite Doctor. I attribute it all to Peter Capaldi's performance and enthusiasm on and off screen. I don't generally like grumpy characters, but I found 12 to be really warm, so I didn't mind his grumpiness. I loved him by the 3rd episode, Robot of Sherwood, which I loved, if only for the final scene between Doctor and Robin Hood.

Eleven is my favorite, but Twelve I really came to appreciate and became my second favorite of the new era. I really think once the mess of the "Clara is leaving" of his first season was over, he really settled into the role. Some of my favorite repeat episodes are in Capaldi's era. And then Pearl came as Bill and it was the perfect pairing. No hint of romance, the Doctor taking on a mentor role, and Capaldi really shone. 

I watched some of Babylon 5 and I liked some of it, but not totally sure of JMS as showrunner. He does do epic storytelling, and multi plotting, but I wasn't a huge fan of it all. But I did love Delenn and he had some really interesting races in it.

This showrunner thing is going to be as much of a surprise as the new Doctor, cause the pool seems to be just as wide!

• Love 5
On 8/3/2021 at 1:19 PM, benteen said:

JTE would be a great showrunner.  You would get a beginning, middle and end with him.  He'd have a plan. 

I obviously meant JMS would make a great showrunner and I still stand by it.

• LOL 1

That's great news. He was my favorite. His plots were hit or miss, but he did great character work and for me that's more important. If I love the characters then I can put up with a mediocre story. 

It's too bad Jodie didn't stick around, I would've liked to see how he handled her character. 

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Russell T. Davies returns to Doctor Who as next showrunner! https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=russell-t-davies-to-return-as-doctor-who-showrunner

I'd already posted this in probably completely the wrong thread, because I saw the news and was so excited I completely forgot that this thread exists!

Just when we thought we weren't going to get an anniversary at all, suddenly there is hope that we might actually get one that's decent! Like Sakura12 says, he's a strong character writer and that was the biggest strength of the show in his first era, it was what brought in so many fervent new fans. I desperately hope he can recapture that!

(Please let it be a proper multi-Doctor anniversary special with no canon-shaking doom and gloom, just a fun romp that truly celebrates all 60 years of the show)

• Love 6

The press release makes it sounds like maybe he's only going to do the 60th and Season 14, but assuming I'm parsing it right, it might mean he'll then step back and do spinoffs. He seemed very interested in that over the years since he was showrunner previously and actually talked about the need for a Doctor Who multi-verse in an interview a few weeks ago

And to add, I'm very excited he's back. I was somewhat indifferent to Series 1 and Chris E. (though maybe due to watching that years after the fact), but I really enjoyed most of David Tennant's era (with Series 3 and 4 being favorites over Series 2) and David is my second favorite Doctor over Jodie

Edited by DanaK

Personally happy about this as I think despite flaws overall he was the best showrunner.  I do wish Jodie would have been able to work with RTD as I have no issues with her, only the writing and storylines have been subpar compared to the best under RTD and even Moffat.  Moffat was a great writer, but not the best showrunner in my opinion.

Anyway this news has brought some excitement back on my part and am looking forward to seeing if RTD can recapture the magic of the early days (of the reboot obv)

• Love 5

He's not my favourite showrunner to date, but there's a reason why the show was so popular under him, and it can only be going upwards after Chibnall's shite. If anyone's going to remember to give his characters characters, it'll be RTD.

Hopefully he won't contrive a way to get Rose bloody Tyler back.

• Love 3

This is great news! I don't think we would have guessed this one.

Does this confirm that the special will be the first next episode after Jodie's regeneration episode? Or maybe there will be a miniseries that year? I would prefer that, as I am a bit worried about new Doctor going straight to the special. OR if the special is after the regeneration, could the Doctor somehow temporarily regenerate into previous version/versions? I'm just brainstorming here...

27 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

This is great news! I don't think we would have guessed this one.

Does this confirm that the special will be the first next episode after Jodie's regeneration episode? Or maybe there will be a miniseries that year? I would prefer that, as I am a bit worried about new Doctor going straight to the special. OR if the special is after the regeneration, could the Doctor somehow temporarily regenerate into previous version/versions? I'm just brainstorming here...

I don’t think it’s clear on whether the 60th will be a special or a clump of things, just that the 60th anniversary will be celebrated in 2023 and then a series

On 9/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, DanaK said:

Russell T. Davies returns to Doctor Who as next showrunner! https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=russell-t-davies-to-return-as-doctor-who-showrunner

That tremulous, ear-piercing scream reverberating around the universe? Mine.

I'm so friggin' stoked guys! I've not enjoyed this show since the 10th doctor's reign ended and I realized it was more about the writing than who is playing The Doctor. I can finally come home now!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn't mind seeing Rose return. Give me her all. day. long. over Clara.

I could do without either of them returning. Onward and upward!

I felt we didn't get enough Bill....

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 6