Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

On 7/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, DanaK said:

It's not clear if they mean new seasons of the main series or a spinoff. This would be a way to get it seen in more countries, but it's not clear if it would be same day streaming (like AMC+) or a few months after the current series (like HBO Max)

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Who wants to see it, sees it on the next day already, lets not make any illusions. Where I live, there's no official way to watch and the series has a huge following anyway.

British actor David Warner has died at 80. Who-wise, he guested in the Series 7 episode “Cold War”, voiced a role in the animated series “Dreamland” and starred in several Big Finish Who audio dramas

• Sad 6

The "new" :) logo:

Also, in the US, the Nov 2023 specials and beyond will be exclusively available on Disney+.  BBC America is out.

Finally (and probably old hat, just not to me), the BBC is no longer producing the show.  While they will continue to own all the IP, the production of the show has essentially been contracted out to RTD's Bad Wolf production company.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Also, in the US, the Nov 2023 specials and beyond will be exclusively available on Disney+.  BBC America is out.

Finally (and probably old hat, just not to me), the BBC is no longer producing the show.  While they will continue to own all the IP, the production of the show has essentially been contracted out to RTD's Bad Wolf production company.

I love the throwback logo. 

I thought it was still going to be on BBC America? 

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I love the throwback logo. 

I thought it was still going to be on BBC America? 

According to Radio Times:

Alisa Bowen, President of Disney Plus, said: "We're excited by the opportunity to bring new seasons of this beloved franchise exclusively to Disney Plus and introduce the show to the next generation of audiences in more than 150 markets around the world.

(Though the BBC will still be the exclusive linear access & streaming home in the UK and Ireland.)

Edited by QuantumMechanic
5 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

(Though the BBC will still be the exclusive linear access & streaming home in the UK and Ireland.)

Well, that is a pain. At least I can borrow a Roku from the library I work at that has Disney+ but not everyone has that option. 

The BBC America account on Twitter basically said they are gone with this deal; I guess this means AMC+ is out as well. I have Disney+ so seeing the show in America won’t be an issue since I have a Roku device. It’s not clear yet if they will stream same day or even simulcast with the UK. The downside for me is that I won’t be able to record the episodes on my DVR but that’s a relatively minor thing. It’s not quite clear if the previous seasons will be streamed on Disney+ or remain on HBO Max. This is a big deal for the show outside the UK as it will hopefully mean easier and better access for a lot of fans, especially since so many who have been frustrated by BBC America opted to buy the episodes or season on digital platforms like Amazon and iTunes and watch the next day. BBC America was not a stellar option in America given all the ad breaks and the so-so audio and video quality, especially compared to streaming it on AMC+

1 hour ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Bad Wolf and BBC Studios are officially co-production companies but it’s likely BW will be the one in charge. BBC Studios was producing the show during Jodie’s era so the BBC has not actually produced the show for a few years

• Love 1

I live in Canada and this deal upsets me. CBC was the first International partnership BBC did with this show back in the 70s. It currently airs on CTV's science-fiction channel. So it's easy accessible to anybody who has cable. Putting on Disney+ is actually going to make it less available in Canada, not more. I guess they are gambling that people will continue to move towards streaming options like Disney +. But it feels like a slap in the face for those of us here who supported the show for decades.

Edited by marina to
  • Like 2

I am not at all happy about this Disney+ deal.  For the past 20+ years, I have been watching Doctor Who on BBC America.  With this new deal, that's all over.  If I want to watch any future Doctor Who, I'll have to subscribe to Disney+.  And Disney+ is notorious for not releasing any of its streaming content to DVD as Paramount + does with Star Trek shows, etc.  They seem to have a real stick up their asses with regards to anyone getting their hands on their content.  I have a rather extensive Doctor Who DVD library in my house.  What am I supposed to do going forward?  Search out bootlegs on line just to keep my collection complete?  At least if they released their shows on DVD, you could wait until the release.  I did that initially with Paramount + until I decided to order the streaming service since there was too much content I wanted to see,  As far as I'm concerned, this whole thing sucks!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Linda956 said:

I am not at all happy about this Disney+ deal.  For the past 20+ years, I have been watching Doctor Who on BBC America.  With this new deal, that's all over.  If I want to watch any future Doctor Who, I'll have to subscribe to Disney+. 

Same here.  I’m not subscribing to Disney+ for this even though I’ve been watching Doctor Who for years.  I’d buy the DVDs but I know there won’t be any released.  By the time November 2023 rolls around I’ll be over this like when it was announced a while back about The Orville moving from Fox to Hulu.  I just won’t care about this show anymore.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Which is a bit shitty for Irish viewers, because while BBC linear access is widely available through most TV providers, access to the i-player to stream the show is restricted to the UK. 

42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wait, so it’s not going to air on BBC America? I’m confused.

Also, there isn’t going to be a holiday episode this year? Apologies for lagging behind.

Going forward, new episodes will stream exclusively on Disney+ worldwide outside the UK and Ireland. New episodes will not be broadcast on BBC America (and probably not on AMC+ as well); it’s not clear about old episodes but the Doctor Who on BBC America account tweeted they were done, so I’m guessing for now they won’t. Right now you can stream all of Modern Who episodes, except for POTD, on HBO Max (which will probably get POTD in a few months)

It also looks like there will be no holiday special for this Christmas or NYD. The next episodes we get will be the 3 60th specials in November of next year

1 minute ago, DanaK said:

Going forward, new episodes will stream exclusively on Disney+ worldwide outside the UK and Ireland. New episodes will not be broadcast on BBC America (and probably not on AMC+ as well); it’s not clear about old episodes but the Doctor Who on BBC America account tweeted they were done, so I’m guessing for now they won’t. Right now you can stream all of Modern Who episodes, except for POTD, on HBO Max (which will probably get POTD in a few months)

At the risk of coming off as a Luddite . . . the series would be exclusively streamed I. The US? No “traditional” broadcasts? Well, shit.

2 minutes ago, DanaK said:

It also looks like there will be no holiday special for this Christmas or NYD. The next episodes we get will be the 3 60th specials in November of next year

Another “ugh.” I assumed we’d get something . . .  well . . . a lot sooner than thirteen months from now.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

At the risk of coming off as a Luddite . . . the series would be exclusively streamed I. The US? No “traditional” broadcasts? Well, shit.

Another “ugh.” I assumed we’d get something . . .  well . . . a lot sooner than thirteen months from now.

To the first part, yes, that’s the way it’s sounding. But look at it this way, compared to BBC America, Disney+ should be a better viewing experience with no ads (if you get the no ads version), better video and audio quality, and possibly streamed at the same time as the BBC broadcast in the UK (though that’s not clear yet) for those fans who want it as soon as possible

As for the second part, there will still be the companion reveal and costume reveal for Ncuti and he starts filming Series 14 next month if you like to follow that sort of thing. And showrunner Davies will not be nearly as quiet as Chibnall and will probably talk our ears off in those 13 months with news bits and spoilers

Edited by DanaK
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Sounds like exclusively streamed everywhere in the world other than the UK and Ireland. (Or maybe only in non-UK, non-Ireland countries where D+ is available?).  But D+ is definitely saying they have the exclusive rights to the Nov 2023 and beyond episodes outside the UK and Ireland.

1 hour ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Sounds like exclusively streamed everywhere in the world other than the UK and Ireland. (Or maybe only in non-UK, non-Ireland countries where D+ is available?).  But D+ is definitely saying they have the exclusive rights to the Nov 2023 and beyond episodes outside the UK and Ireland.

Internationally, meaning outside the UK and Ireland, wherever Disney+ is available. One of the press releases said that was more than 150 markets around the world

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, there isn’t going to be a holiday episode this year? Apologies for lagging behind.

The slot for the holiday episode fell between showrunners, so no, there will be no holiday episode this year. RTD's first episode will be the 60th anniversary, November 2023.

• Sad 1

I am not sure if I mentioned it on here, the library I work at rents Rokus free of charge that have Disney+ (with a couple of others) on them. If you don't use your library, check to see if they have them and the details. I certainly don't want to subscribe to Disney+ so I have been able to watch the Loki and She Hulk this way. 

On 10/25/2022 at 7:31 PM, Lantern7 said:

I wondered about that. Ideally, I think, they would have already filmed the Tennant specials, I assume the Tennant specials while they set up the new show. I wondered how they would have kept it quiet.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:16 AM, QuantumMechanic said:

On 10/25/2022 at 1:06 PM, DanaK said:

The BBC America account on Twitter basically said they are gone with this deal; I guess this means AMC+ is out as well.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:27 PM, DanaK said:

New episodes will not be broadcast on BBC America (and probably not on AMC+ as well);

So the question remains:  Is the 14th season of Doctor Who worth $7.99/month?  Luckily, I have a while to figure this one out.

3 hours ago, Affogato said:

I wondered about that. Ideally, I think, they would have already filmed the Tennant specials, I assume the Tennant specials while they set up the new show. I wondered how they would have kept it quiet.

They already filmed the 3 David Tennant specials starting this past June for a few weeks and there were some casting announcements beforehand because they filmed in public for some of it so they didn't keep it quiet

39 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

So the question remains:  Is the 14th season of Doctor Who worth $7.99/month?  Luckily, I have a while to figure this one out.

Not just the 14th season, but also the 3 60th anniversary specials before it and the rest of Ncuti's era after that

• Thanks 1

They already filmed the 3 David Tennant specials starting this past June for a few weeks and there were some casting announcements beforehand because they filmed in public for some of it so they didn't keep it quiet

Not just the 14th season, but also the 3 60th anniversary specials before it and the rest of Ncuti's era after that

Thanks. I guess I'm out of the loop.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, marina to said:

Disney also has creative say.

I’ve seen opinions that the Telegraph is putting out bad information about that or misunderstood some info. The press release only has Disney+ as the distributor. Bad Wolf and BBC Studios are the co-producers

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I’ve seen opinions that the Telegraph is putting out bad information about that or misunderstood some info. The press release only has Disney+ as the distributor 

I certainly hope you're right. I love 8, but his movie is what I'm afraid can happen.

• Like 1

From Broadcast, Disney+ deal set to transform Doctor Who https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/disney-deal-set-to-transform-doctor-who/5176234.article

You can register for 4 free articles a month in order to read the whole article. The authors call it an analysis of the deal, so be aware there seems to be a lot of conjecture and speculation, including from industry experts and a few supposedly in the know

A summary:

The show could be transformed into a 100 million pounds series with BBC's deal with Disney+ deal (I don't know if that means annually or what). Sources have estimated the 1-3 million pounds per episode budget could go to about 10 million pounds. The expectation is that both parties are keen to turbocharge the show. Spinoffs are anticipated. Speculation is that the ramp up of the budget could help it break into the mainstream in the US.

Speculation is that this is an investment to fully exploit the franchise and bolster the BBC coffers. The deal is expected to run for several years at least

The deal sweeps away the complex web of international deals struck with partners around the world. It risks alienating former partners but the BBC had to make the decision for the future of the show because any show of scale needs a partner, especially these days

A source estimated that Disney paid the BBC tens of millions to come aboard

Edited by DanaK
Fixed the currency references to UK

Yeah, the show's origin was being great entertainment (and infotainment) for the price of change found under the couch cushions. Given how slick the 2000s reincarnation of the production has been on the BBC budget, I'm not sure throwing truckfulls of cash at it will necessarily improve it. Though, to be fair, Disney has been putting out some excellent shows of its own with the Star Wars and MCU franchises.

I'm wary, but my default attitude toward any Doctor Who that hasn't aired yet is always optimism, served with a large side of 'let's wait and see'. I'll happily criticise what has aired, if it isn't to my liking, but I prefer not to get worked up about anything I haven't seen yet. It's like Schroedinger's Cat - until it actually airs, it remains in a state of in potentia, in which it could potentially be either great or excruciating and there is no way to know which, so no point in worrying about it unduly. Only when it appears on-screen do we find out which it is! Then we can react.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

My feeling is that Disney holding some of the purse strings will be positive for the show. RTD can do family friendly quite well if he's forced to but you only have to look at the abomination that was Torchwood: Miracle Day to see what happens with few constraints. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Millie Gibson was in Coronation Street until recently. She's a good little actress. I'm less convinced by the name, but look forward to seeing what's ahead. 

Ruby Sunday sounds too much like Ruby Tuesdays, a restaurant chain in the US. And I have no idea who Millie is other than what others say, but I hope I enjoy her; she seems a little young to me though

• Love 1