Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

Has anyone seen any sites with rumors of who is in the running for the Doctor? I remember so many before Peter and Jodie were announced but I haven't seen any at all since the ones shortly after her departure was announced.

3 hours ago, Maren said:

Has anyone seen any sites with rumors of who is in the running for the Doctor? I remember so many before Peter and Jodie were announced but I haven't seen any at all since the ones shortly after her departure was announced.

Everyone from “It’s a Sin” has been rumored, along with numerous others

• Love 1

Thanks, DanaK! 

I've seen those guys listed a while ago but I am not familiar with the show. Michael Sheen just came out addressing fan casting, saying he is NOT the new Doctor. He'd still be awesome if he was!!

In surprising crossover news, EVE Online will be facing a Dalek invasion. Frankly, if I were to cross DW over with any space opera universe, Star Trek would be best fit. A loose grasp of science and a throw everything at the wall attitude. That's both shows. And from what I've heard of EVE, RDM Battlestar Galactica is a better fit. Where the space battles take backseat to internal political intrigue.

Apparently the EVE fans aren't happy about this either. There will be more grumbling in weeks to come. Though by the same token, I'm not sure they're happy with any changes in the last few years. But that's beside the point.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that of DW content appearing in any online game, it isn't Fortnite. Just about everything else has gotten chucked in there.

So, the DW tie-in with EVE Online is now active. This is one of those things where I have to ask really? The two properties are ridiculously incompatible. If you want to fly spaceships, go play Elite Dangerous or No Man's Sky. If you want space politics, play Stellaris. EVE has a reputation for toxicity and spreadsheets. It's not the peanut butter and jelly of crossovers. It's more like PB&J dipped in lemon juice. You'll get some of what you want, but the rest is going to be awfully bitter.

I don't see who dreamed this thing up or why anyone else went with it. Utterly baffling.

Stewart Bevan who played Dr Clifford Jones in the 6-part 1971 adventures The Green Death has died at the age of 73. He played the love interest of the 3rd Doctor's companion Jo Grant, who left UNIT and the Doctor to marry Cliff and join in his activism; Bevan and actress Katy Manning formed a lifelong friendship that lasted from then until now.

3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Doctor Who coming to the game Fortnite

That's the second game recently. Previously was EVE Online. From what I've heard of Fortnite, it's a better fit for DW than EVE is. However, I'm not interested in Epic games or multiplayer games. I'll be giving this one a miss.

(edited)

New audio series from BBC Sounds called Doctor Who: Redacted, a 10 part podcast series, basically an audio drama, will be made available following the broadcast of the Easter special on April 17, and episodes will be released weekly. Star Jodie Whittaker will be part of it as the Doctor, as will Ingrid Oliver who plays Osgood and Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart, though it focuses on 3 university students, one transgender, trying to find people who are disappearing. Juno Dawson, author of the Doctor Who novel The Good Doctor, is the lead writer

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=bbc-sounds-spinoff-podcast-doctor-who-redacted#_

You can listen via the BBC Sounds app (available in the Apple App Store for instance) even if you aren’t in the UK

ETA: The following press release has more detail on the cast, including Anjili Mohindra as Rani, and some Q&As

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/doctor-who-redacted-bbc-sounds

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

Cool! Even if established Whoniverse characters will be more minor characters/cameos, it still sounds like fun. Looking forward to getting Rani again--I always loved the characters from The Sarah Jane Adventures and thought Luke, Clyde, and Rani could've made good companions. Not to mention, it'll be good to have Anjli Mohindra back in the Whoniverse NOT as the Skithra queen, which didn't do her any favors!

(edited)

I guess this is the push I need to finally watch Sex Education! I'm excited--I'm not familiar with Ncuti, and he's definitely young, but I'm excited. Casting has knocked this out of the park every time, so I have no doubt that he'll be terrific. And with RTD back at the helm, he'll hopefully be more consistently equipped with strong writing than Jodie was. Looking forward to seeing him in action, and can't wait to find out about the new companions!

Edited by angora
Because “terrified” and “terrific” are not the same word.
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was hoping for another woman, and if so, expecting a woman of color. But a man of color is just fine to me, though I’m sure some will say they went with the safe choice of a young male. But the first Black man in the role (and who might also be gay, though that hasn’t been confirmed) is not the same old safe thing that was happening before Jodie. That said, I of course had no idea who he was (I haven’t see Sex Education). Announcing quietly via Instagram and first by the actor himself seems like a very low key odd choice, but the media will still report on it, so I guess it doesn’t matter in the end, but it still feels like a let down for the actor

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, angora said:

Casting has knocked this out of the park every time, so I have no doubt that he'll be terrified.

I'm 99.9% certain this is a typo, but given the history and the fandom, it's probably also true. LOL!

• LOL 8
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm 99.9% certain this is a typo, but given the history and the fandom, it's probably also true. LOL!

Lol, yes and yes. Fixed it in my original post, but it’s true. Nothing like a “First _______ Doctor” announcement to bring out the subset of fans who insist on being ugly.

• Love 3

I already wanted to watch Sex Education, so I have one more reason now. Cool.

I didn't even know they were going to announce the new actor. I thought they would announce the announcement first, but maybe I just missed it.

3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I already wanted to watch Sex Education, so I have one more reason now. Cool.

I didn't even know they were going to announce the new actor. I thought they would announce the announcement first, but maybe I just missed it.

You didn’t, it was pretty sudden and unexpected (Ncuti posted a cryptic message on his IG first, then they put out a press release) though there were rumors something would be announced soon

• Love 2

I was so shocked when I came online and saw it was announced already!! I totally expected to have some build up for the announcement itself. I even looked last night and nothing. And then BAM, here he is lol!

I know nothing about him but I didn't know anything about Matt and he turned out AMAZING. I don't think I'll watch Sex Education tho. Not really interested in the show and sometimes, that can color your view of the new actor. My mom tried Peter Capaldi's show before he started in DW and it colored her impression of him and not in a good way. LOL. 

• Love 5

Just heard a very brief radio interview (BBC2 Zoe Ball breakfast), he's known and kept it secret since February. Does that fit in with any filming of a regeneration?

I'm so excited about this. I love him on Sex Education, he's the bright shining spot on that show. Can't wait for this era to begin so I can start watching again. I've missed my Who.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Megras said:

Just heard a very brief radio interview (BBC2 Zoe Ball breakfast), he's known and kept it secret since February. Does that fit in with any filming of a regeneration?

Unknown. He has been filming the Barbie movie but I’m not sure the size of his part. There are rumors Who will start filming soon, if it hasn’t already. Since Ncuti will be filming the next season of Sex Education this Summer, there’s speculation that he’ll start filming Who this Spring, then continue filming in the Fall. Chibnall has also said he will finish final production of Jodie’s final special this Summer and it’s speculated that Ncuti will film his half of the regeneration before then, assuming he hasn’t already

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never heard of/seen the actor cast as the next Doctor, but he's not Jodie Whitaker so he's automatically an improvement.  I might finally be able to watch Doctor Who again.

Chibnall being out is the big help. I was willing to give a female Doctor a chance and I did try. The writing was just God awful and I couldn't look past it. First time in 40+ years of loving the show, I stopped watching. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, John Potts said:

I'm outraged. Another human? When are we going to have an actual Gallifreyan playing The Doctor? It's political correctness gone mad!

To be fair, are we even certain The Doctor is Gallifreyan anymore? 😁

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Chibnall being out is the big help. I was willing to give a female Doctor a chance and I did try. The writing was just God awful and I couldn't look past it. First time in 40+ years of loving the show, I stopped watching. 

For me, it was specifically Jodie Whitaker.  I really don't like her as an actress so I had no interest in watching her as the Doctor.

To be honest, I'm not that keen on Davies as the showrunner but am willing to see how it works out with a Doctor I don't hate.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

For me, it was specifically Jodie Whitaker.  I really don't like her as an actress so I had no interest in watching her as the Doctor.

To be honest, I'm not that keen on Davies as the showrunner but am willing to see how it works out with a Doctor I don't hate.

The thing is, she was so good in Broadchurch. I also saw her in Attack the Block and loved her in it. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

The thing is, she was so good in Broadchurch. I also saw her in Attack the Block and loved her in it. 

She was alright in the first season of Broadchurch but terrible in the other two seasons, imo.

2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She was alright in the first season of Broadchurch but terrible in the other two seasons, imo.

I didn't watch the next two seasons, I thought they were meh. So I'm just going by the one. 

• Useful 1

I'm completely unfamiliar with this actor, but he seems charming. Hopefully he can manage the gravitas needed for the role (something I think only Matt Smith failed to of all the Doctors).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm completely unfamiliar with this actor, but he seems charming. Hopefully he can manage the gravitas needed for the role (something I think only Matt Smith failed to of all the Doctors).

I thought Matt Smith did. He channeled Troughton, who they said he studied, a lot. I thought he played the clown but had a sadness in his eyes of a man who has lived way too long and seen (and lost) a lot along the way. 

• Love 10

Jodie Whittaker has apparently had her second child. The Daily Mail has a picture (which I won’t post) of her from today carrying a newborn in a sling on her chest while she and her husband meet Claire Foy in London for coffee

9 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Grant Morrison Plans To Replace Russell T Davies On Doctor Who

I would love for this to happen. I loved Morrison's Batman comics and they had a lot of similarities to Doctor Who, IMO. It would be a lot of timey-wimey craziness.

Not me. I like Grant, but his latest stories feel like he’s trying way too hard to go big. He could probably make Chibnall’s biggest contributions easier to swallow, but I’m thinking the series might need to show its roll.

FTR, I’ve been good with Chibnall. I just feel that he brought in way too many game-changing stuff.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Not me. I like Grant, but his latest stories feel like he’s trying way too hard to go big. He could probably make Chibnall’s biggest contributions easier to swallow, but I’m thinking the series might need to show its roll.

FTR, I’ve been good with Chibnall. I just feel that he brought in way too many game-changing stuff.

Just an FYI, Morrison goes by they/them

• Love 2