Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, DanaK said:

Ruby Sunday sounds too much like Ruby Tuesdays, a restaurant chain in the US. And I have no idea who Millie is other than what others say, but I hope I enjoy her; she seems a little young to me though

She is young, but she is also an experienced actress, she's had a fairly high profile role in Corrie for a couple of years, led some major storylines, so I'm not worried on an acting front. I know she's good at her craft. (Jenna Coleman also came to DW from a soap, among others). That she's a young blonde is reminiscent of Rose, though, so I hope there is a very different plan for her rather than more of the same. 

6 hours ago, Anduin said:

This is a bad photoshop job. Someone took Jenna Coleman's face and stuck it on Billie Piper's body. When will they reveal the real companion?

Now, now. This is the real companion, no matter who she reminds you of. She's a good actress, has had a solid grounding in her craft, I've no concerns there. All my question marks are over the storylines and storytelling. I so want a companion who isn't from contemporary Earth, for a change. We'll see. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Now, now. This is the real companion, no matter who she reminds you of. She's a good actress, has had a solid grounding in her craft, I've no concerns there. All my question marks are over the storylines and storytelling. I so want a companion who isn't from contemporary Earth, for a change. We'll see. 

You can't just laugh at or ignore a dumb joke?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

You can't just laugh at or ignore a dumb joke?

No more than you can recognise a tongue in cheek reply, apparently. I've seen too much mean-spiritedness toward casting news to find such 'jokes' funny.

Edited by Llywela
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

You know you're getting old when the new castmembers are young enough to talk about watching NuWho as kids....

Isn't that the truth? I watched the clip going around on FB where Gatwa asks her Who questions and didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she got sentimental about the Ponds.

But... I liked her and they have a nice chemistry,  so hopefully we'll get some good stories for them.

2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

According to Futon Critic, Doctor Who now belongs to Disney+. I'll have to keep that in mind next year when I'm planning which streaming services to turn on or off.

I recall seeing that myself. "Belongs" is a bit of a misnomer though since Disney+ is only distributing it outside of the UK and Ireland and will still be broadcast on the BBC (which owns the rights) and BBC iPlayer and produced by Bad Wolf and BBC Studios. It was posted here back in October when it was announced. It's only for new episodes starting in 2023 for now. Older episodes will likely remain on HBO Max for now

Edited by DanaK
20 minutes ago, DanaK said:

It's only for new episodes starting in 2023 for now.

I'm in the USA, and we've been watching it on BBC America since the 2005 reboot....but not anymore starting next year. So if I'm looking for cheaper streaming packages I can cross BBCA off my list of "must haves".

16 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I'm in the USA, and we've been watching it on BBC America since the 2005 reboot....but not anymore starting next year. So if I'm looking for cheaper streaming packages I can cross BBCA off my list of "must haves".

Disney+ does have a cheaper plan with some ads, but I don’t know the amount off hand compared to the plan without ads

11 hours ago, DanaK said:

2 more lost stories to be recreated via animation as part of the 60th celebrations

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/drwho-loststoriesrep-020123

Nice!

I'm less keen on this statement:

The Mirror also reports that "BBC bosses plan to colourise certain stories from the Hartnell and Troughton eras (1963-69), for broadcast next year. This is likely to include the very first story, An Unearthly Child."

I prefer not to see episodes colourised if they were always intended to be shown in black and white. Re-colourising bits of the 3rd and 4th Doctor's era is different - there were episodes and clips of that which were filmed and aired in colour, but only survived as black and white. But Hartnell and Troughton's eras were aired in black and white, and filmed as such.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Dr Rebecca Smethurst is an astrophysicist at Britain's Royal Astronomical Society, and has written a book about black holes. She runs a YT channel talking about the latest news in space, and sometimes reacts to SF shows and movies. This time, it's The Impossible Planet. Spoiler, she doesn't love it. Still a good watch, and you might actually learn something!

Former Doctor Jodie Whittaker and former Showrunner Chris Chibnall among others attended the Gallifrey One convention this weekend and each gave an interview on Friday viewed by the convention attendees. Chibnall also participated on several panels. Neither said anything on current projects but Jodie reportedly told a small group of fans at a reception Friday night that she was doing a six part series in Australia for the streamer Paramount+ and that she had just flown in from Australia. If you have Twitter there are a lot of posts under the hashtag #gally1. Jodie will do a second interview today (Sunday) at 11am Pacific time (2pm ET and 7 pm UK time)

I have summarized several panels, via gathering Twitter postings, that Chibnall participated in plus his and Jodie's interviews and posted them on another board. If posters want, I can post the various pieces here (via spoiler tags because of size); Chibnall particularly gave a lot of interesting production info on the panels he was on

Edited by DanaK
On 8/17/2023 at 1:15 PM, DanaK said:

For those without Twitter, the 9th and 10th Doctors eras have been newly upscaled and are coming soon to Blu-ray

What is 'upscaled'? I assume digitally upgraded? Or did they reshoot scenes with fancier language and clothing?

Yes, upscaling refers to digital enhancement, stretching a lower resolution image to fit a larger display (thus, quite literally scaled up), while also filtering to smooth the image and round out unwanted jagged edges that may become visible due to the stretching

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

Quick question: is there any chance the series will air outside of Disney+ in the U.S.? I don’t feel compelled to subscribe just for the one series.

Not on TV or streaming. I’m not sure if the show will continue to be available for digital purchase on Amazon Video or ITunes the day after like before; we’ll have to wait to see what happens there

You can also subscribe for just a month or two to watch the show, then cancel until the next season

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

Sat and watched it live with my 8yo niece. She's not really into Doctor Who yet, so most of it went over her head, while I was sitting there chortling over all the Genesis of the Daleks references, New Fake Davros, and all the rest of it. The TARDIS breaking both the wall and the Dalek claw thingy and the Doctor offering up a toilet plunger instead made us both laugh.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I guess why the Doctor looks like Ten again is going to be a plot point.

I mean, it was always going to be a plot point, from the moment the re-casting was announced, it was never going to be something that could just happen without on-screen commentary. But yeah. I'm intrigued to see how that plays out.

I suppose I should have said that the first thing Fourteen says when he sees someone else is about why he looks like Ten. I wasn't doubting, nor dismissing, that being a plot point. There's more of an urgency than I expected with the Doctor because Ten would have just shouted and rolled with it. They made a point to say it's only been an hour since the regeneration. I'm looking forward to see how they unfold.