Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I suppose I should have said that the first thing Fourteen says when he sees someone else is about why he looks like Ten. I wasn't doubting, nor dismissing, that being a plot point. There's more of an urgency than I expected with the Doctor because Ten would have just shouted and rolled with it. They made a point to say it's only been an hour since the regeneration. I'm looking forward to see how they unfold. 

Besides the old face issue, he’s probably still a little confused from the recent regeneration

Death Battle has pitted the Doctor against Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty.

The sad thing is that with Disney+ holding the American rights, this is the closest I can get to that without purchasing the service. This is a bit crude, but pretty funny.

On 12/14/2023 at 11:50 PM, baldryanr said:

For anyone wondering how Eccleston feels about RTD and the rest of the executive crew after all this time, skip to about the fifteen minute mark when he's asked what has to happen for him to return to the role on TV.

What makes me so angry is that the haters are now using Eccleston to claim that he is against RTD's direction of the show in terms of inclusivity and the emphasis on social issues - you know, all the things that have always been there and what they now call "wokeness". (I am always careful not to give them any clicks, but it's clear to me from the headlines and thumbnails that this is the narrative they are trying to push.) 

I have watched a few older interviews with Eccleston including one from back when he had just been cast as the Doctor and it is very clear that he is supportive of all those topics, he was very happy about Jodie's casting and has been vocal about many social issues, so I have no doubts that the last thing he would have problems with is the current direction of the show (which is basically the same as it's always been). Whatever the problems with RTD and the rest of the team were, they seem to be about how they were running things and nothing with the story. It just makes me sick to see it so intentionally misinterpreted.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm sure that wasn't the problem. I don't remember if Noel Clarke already behaved like an ass on Doctor Who but I am now wondering if stuff like this also made Eccleston speak up and it got shut down.

It seemed also like the production was a terrible mess in the first year (and later too for a while).

I was watching David Tennant's video diary from his first season and he was talking about how they were already behind with shooting and apparently someone on the crew mentioned that this was nothing and that the year before they were already about 2 weeks behind schedule after one or two episodes.

So, depending on how Eccleston might have voiced his concerns and how RTD and co were reacting to it, it sounds things were just as messy as Eccleston said they were. Not that I ever doubted it. He doesn't seem to be the type to blow things out of proportion.

And the BBC telling some weird lies about his exit certainly didn't help, especially when there was silence from the production team on that too.

Eccleston seemed to feel a responsibility to voice his concerns as a more established actor and when nothing was helped or done, he got mad, partially, it appears to me, on behalf of the crew. Whereas, David Tennant was just happy to be there and probably didn't feel like it was his place as the new guy.

Just my impressions after watching those video diaries with the Eccleston exit in mind. 

Don't get me wrong, I adore RTD, his enthusiasm and his writing most of the time but it was his responsibility and he handled it very badly. To get things to such a point your experienced main actor runs off on you, you mishandled things.

• Like 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Yes, I'm sure that wasn't the problem. I don't remember if Noel Clarke already behaved like an ass on Doctor Who but I am now wondering if stuff like this also made Eccleston speak up and it got shut down.

It seemed also like the production was a terrible mess in the first year (and later too for a while).

I was watching David Tennant's video diary from his first season and he was talking about how they were already behind with shooting and apparently someone on the crew mentioned that this was nothing and that the year before they were already about 2 weeks behind schedule after one or two episodes.

So, depending on how Eccleston might have voiced his concerns and how RTD and co were reacting to it, it sounds things were just as messy as Eccleston said they were. Not that I ever doubted it. He doesn't seem to be the type to blow things out of proportion.

And the BBC telling some weird lies about his exit certainly didn't help, especially when there was silence from the production team on that too.

Eccleston seemed to feel a responsibility to voice his concerns as a more established actor and when nothing was helped or done, he got mad, partially, it appears to me, on behalf of the crew. Whereas, David Tennant was just happy to be there and probably didn't feel like it was his place as the new guy.

Just my impressions after watching those video diaries with the Eccleston exit in mind. 

Don't get me wrong, I adore RTD, his enthusiasm and his writing most of the time but it was his responsibility and he handled it very badly. To get things to such a point your experienced main actor runs off on you, you mishandled things.

It suggests 14 episodes a season were just too much for a complex show like Who (didn't Moffat have a lot of trouble keeping up as well with one less episode?) and Davies was the one who pushed for that number over the BBC suggesting 6. It appears Davies Part 2, with 8 episodes + 1 special per season, is managing to keep pretty far ahead this time

But with Chris, I don't think it was just about production being behind. It appears the first block's director didn't seem to care about the safety of the cast and crew, plus maybe some other things. The first block sounded like a pretty big mess with a few too many bad things happening. It's quite possible certain things had settled down during David's time

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 1/20/2024 at 6:35 PM, DanaK said:

But with Chris, I don't think it was just about production being behind. It appears the first block's director didn't seem to care about the safety of the cast and crew, plus maybe some other things. The first block sounded like a pretty big mess with a few too many bad things happening. It's quite possible certain things had settled down during David's time

I seem to recall part of the problem was that Keith Boak, the first block director, had set up a stunt that went wrong and nearly dropped a burning sofa on an extra. Eccles was angry that no-one really cared, and Boak wasn't reprimanded fully. Plus...the general chaos that no-one in British tv really knew how to make a show like this, and they were learning (and failing) as they went.

Edited by HauntedBathroom
  • Useful 1