Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

I'm meh on RTD returning. He's tons better than Chibnall. But he has an unhealthy obsession with Rose to the point of deification and he turned Ten into a whiny, annoying hot mess at the end of his run. Ruined Ten for me. So really hoping he has gotten over his Rose obsession and his habit of writing whining doctors!

But still. Sooooooo much better than Chibnall!! At least RTD can write decent episodes and cares about the history of DW.

Now I really wonder when they're going to announce the new Doctor...

Edited by Maren
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Affogato said:

I could do without either of them returning. Onward and upward!

I felt we didn't get enough Bill....

I was a fan of Rose as well.  I agree we didn't get enough of Bill. I wish she had been with 12 sooner.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Maren said:

Now I really wonder when they're going to announce the new Doctor...

I wonder if RTD will be choosing the new Doctor. I saw some speculation earlier this year after It's a Sin premiered, that RTD would like Olly Alexander as the new Doctor, but I don't know if that was just speculation based on their work together, or if there was anything to it. I was meh about the rumor until I saw that he could actually act, now I'm kind of neutral to the idea. 

18 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I wonder if RTD will be choosing the new Doctor. I saw some speculation earlier this year after It's a Sin premiered, that RTD would like Olly Alexander as the new Doctor, but I don't know if that was just speculation based on their work together, or if there was anything to it. I was meh about the rumor until I saw that he could actually act, now I'm kind of neutral to the idea. 

Davies will definitely choose the new Doctor in consultation with the BBC and BBC Studios as all showrunners have done (in Modern Who at least)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Davies will definitely choose the new Doctor in consultation with the BBC and BBC Studios as all showrunners have done (in Modern Who at least)

I know that is the usual process, but I am not sure whether we should consider RTD to be a new regular showrunner at this point, or just someone to temporarily take over for the anniversary. I can still see a possibility of the anniversary special/specials to be without new Doctor, just with past Doctors or companions reuniting. If it was confirmed that a new Doctor would appear at the end of Jodie's regeneration episode, I missed that info. I mean, sure that would be the norm, but this feels like different circumstances, with the regeneration taking place right before the anniversary.

1 minute ago, JustHereForFood said:

I know that is the usual process, but I am not sure whether we should consider RTD to be a new regular showrunner at this point, or just someone to temporarily take over for the anniversary. I can still see a possibility of the anniversary special/specials to be without new Doctor, just with past Doctors or companions reuniting. If it was confirmed that a new Doctor would appear at the end of Jodie's regeneration episode, I missed that info. I mean, sure that would be the norm, but this feels like different circumstances, with the regeneration taking place right before the anniversary.

He's not there just for the 60th anniversary special. The press release said he was returning as showrunner, "to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who in 2023, and series beyond"

As for when the new Doctor will appear, the press release for Jodie's exit did say the Centenary special (her 3rd special in 2022) would include her regeneration. I would assume we will see the new Doctor then, but who knows for sure at this early point.

• Love 3
On 9/30/2021 at 3:36 AM, benteen said:

I was a fan of Rose as well.  I agree we didn't get enough of Bill. I wish she had been with 12 sooner.

I agree... too much time with Clara and Danny Pink..... Clara should have left soon after 12 showed up. 

• Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 7:03 PM, Maren said:

I'm meh on RTD returning. He's tons better than Chibnall. But he has an unhealthy obsession with Rose to the point of deification and he turned Ten into a whiny, annoying hot mess at the end of his run. Ruined Ten for me. So really hoping he has gotten over his Rose obsession and his habit of writing whining doctors.

Get! Out! Of! My! Head!

😎

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, QuantumMechanic said:

Get! Out! Of! My! Head!

😎

Heh 👍

Just read something that Jodie will be making an appearance on Graham Norton on the 15th. I wonder if they will show a clip?

I hope they bring Matt back for the 60th special. I was just watching "The Lodger."  He really made Eleven my favorite Doctor. I remember watching the interview special they did announcing him as the new Doctor and being worried that he seemed so quiet and kind of awkward. Little did I know that by the end of the "Eleventh Hour" he'd cement himself as THE Doctor for me. Hoping I get the same happy surprise with the new Doctor!! 

• Love 3

FYI, Series 13 premieres October 31. Here's the poster for it that the Doctor Who account tweeted. Gorgeous

34 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Too brief a teaser . . . but at least we have a premiere date. Has DW ever broadcast a new episode on Halloween?

Series 9, Episode 7, "The Zygon Invasion"

• Love 2

Sony Pictures Television (part of Sony Pictures) is set to become the major stakeholder in Bad Wolf.

The article from Broadcast. You need an account to read, but you get 5 free articles per month https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/indies/sony-set-to-snap-up-bad-wolf/5164166.article

Screen Daily summarizes the Broadcast article https://www.screendaily.com/news/sony-set-to-snap-up-his-dark-materials-producer-bad-wolf/5164171.article

From their summary:

"A rival bidder is understood to have offered a higher sum, but the indie is understood to have considered Sony the best cultural fit for the business.

Some of that will likely stem from the shared history between Tranter and SPT president of international production Wayne Garvie.

The pair worked together at the BBC in the early 2000s in drama and entertainment respectively, and again at BBC Worldwide (now BBC Studios) in 2009, after Tranter began heading up the production arm’s US operations, reporting to Garvie."

Just to note, the BBC still owns Doctor Who and makes the decisions. This will just make the co-producer bigger. We'll see what changes this brings. Hopefully more money in the budget. Maybe they'll mostly take over producing from BBC Studios

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Reminder to UK viewers that Jodie Whittaker is on Graham Norton tonight. For US viewers, BBC America will show Jodie’s episode next Friday

Note that the 2nd full trailer for Series 13 will debut today, probably sometime this evening

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I was poking around my cable, and I discovered BBCA will be airing the season premiere “live” starting at 2:25 p.m. Eastern time. An “Extended Cut” is schedule for 8 p.m.

Yep, I’ve been detailing all this in the Series 13 topic but it’s good to note it here as well. BBCA will be showing ads so it’s best not to follow along with social media at the same time. It will be on at 11:25am PT, 12:25pm MT, 1:25pm CT and 2:25pm ET. It will of course be on BBC1 in the UK at 6:25pm and run 50 minutes. On BBC America it will run until 3:37pm ET. It will repeat on BBCA at 8pm ET and again at 3am ET the next morning listing as extended cuts but I’ll bet that just includes the promo because they are just a couple of minutes more

Also, the first episode is titled “Chapter One: The Halloween Apocalypse” 

3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Yep, I’ve been detailing all this in the Series 13 topic but it’s good to note it here as well. BBCA will be showing ads so it’s best not to follow along with social media at the same time. It will be on at 11:25am PT, 12:25pm MT, 1:25pm CT and 2:25pm ET. It will of course be on BBC1 in the UK at 6:25pm and run 50 minutes. On BBC America it will run until 3:37pm ET. It will repeat on BBCA at 8pm ET and again at 3am ET the next morning listing as extended cuts but I’ll bet that just includes the promo because they are just a couple of minutes more

Also, the first episode is titled “Chapter One: The Halloween Apocalypse” 

I didn’t look up the s13 thread until after I posted.

Wait, so the “live” airing in the afternoon comes with commercials? Bleh.

16 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I didn’t look up the s13 thread until after I posted.

Wait, so the “live” airing in the afternoon comes with commercials? Bleh.

Yes with ads, unfortunately. Be sure to note that the UK turns their clocks back an hour on Sunday, but the US won't do so until November 7

Episode 2 on November 7 is called "Chapter 2: War of the Sontarans" and will be 59 minutes. BBC1 will air it at 6:15pm to 7:14pm. BBC America will air it at the usual time of 8pm ET going to 9:27pm ET

Edited by DanaK

Schedule note: For those in the US watching via BBC America, it appears for those in the Pacific Time Zone, mainly those on the West Coast, you’ll be able to see the Series 13 premiere at 2:25pm PT, 3 hours after the East Coast sees it, instead of what appeared to initially be 11:25am, at the same time as the East Coast and the UK. The other time zones appear to have not changed when the premiere is for them. Below is the BBC America schedule for Sunday. Check your local listings to be sure as the website seems to be acting a little flaky

https://www2.bbcamerica.com/schedule?tz=PT&bc=west&from=2021-10-31

Edited by DanaK

FYI, Series 13: Flux will be available to purchase on Blu-ray, DVD and limited edition Steelbook on January 24, 2022 in the UK (via Amazon as one example). The US will probably have the season available a few weeks or couple of months later

2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Adam Whitehead summarises a paywalled article from the Times. RTD wants Dr Who to be independent. No suits meddling in production, and being allowed to put the profits from merch back into the show.

This feels familiar. Wasn't there another story a few months ago about a show or movie that wanted to go independent?

The press seems to summarize this as the BBC loses creative control of Doctor Who, but they own it, so they can’t lose control just because Davies demands it. I think it’s more likely that the BBC still retains overall creative control. BBC Studios probably will be the ones to step back from creative decisions and give that to Bad Wolf while continuing to distribute the show world wide and handling the merchandise and other things

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

FYI for US viewers, this website says the DVD and Blu-ray Series 13 set will be released on Feb 8, 2022. It now has a page for pre-order at Amazon, though they don't seem to have it currently in stock and the page is currently saying the sets are available Feb 15 https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Complete-Thirteenth/dp/B09KP9NKNB/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1636831641&sr=8-1

Edited by DanaK
updated Amazon page
27 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Gosh darn it, the trailer is gone!  My DVR cut off the trailer for next week. 😥

It will get posted again at some point. And dang, I meant to put it in the Series 13 Spoiler topic. Sorry about that

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DanaK said:

The missing 6 episode 1967 serial "The Abominable Snowmen" from the Second Doctor's era has been animated and will be released in 2022 https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=missing-adventure-the-abominable-snowmen-animation

Teaser

I love that they are slowly working their way through all these missing adventures. I want more Hartnells, though! I adored Marco Polo as a recon, I would love to see it as an animation. And the Daleks' Master Plan! But a lot of Hartnell's missing adventures are historicals, which are apparently harder to do. Troughton with all his classic monsters are seen as more commercially viable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

I love that they are slowly working their way through all these missing adventures. I want more Hartnells, though! I adored Marco Polo as a recon, I would love to see it as an animation. And the Daleks' Master Plan! But a lot of Hartnell's missing adventures are historicals, which are apparently harder to do. Troughton with all his classic monsters are seen as more commercially viable.

Doesn’t it also depend on the availability of the audio and the scripts?

22 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Doesn’t it also depend on the availability of the audio and the scripts?

Audio exists for every missing episode (trust me, I've listened to them all), although the quality varies. But yes, scripts are a factor also, I was simplifying the factors involved. The main consideration is sales potential, though. Animation is expensive, so they won't do it if they don't think the story will sell enough to generate a return on that investment. A standard four episode serial with classic monsters offers a good return on investment, enough to find a way past any obstacle. The longer serials that have more episodes to have to animate (12 episodes in the Daleks' Master Plan!) and aren't considered to have much of a hook for potential buyers outside of the completist fanbase, the returns there are less of a sure thing. They are working their way through the adventures with greatest sales potential first, in effect.

I'd still give a lot for Marco Polo. The recon was captivating.

• Love 2

Interesting. So:

- We finally have a confirmation that the 60th anniversary special will be the first episode after Jodie's regeneration. No pressure, next actor!

- New episodes are written before the new Doctor is cast. I don't know how much the writers tend to write for a specific actor, but it feels weird that the plot and dialogue have not taken the actor into account. I wonder if it is just that generic, or if he at least has a specific demoraphic in mind for the next Doctor (or he might have cast them, and is just lying, wouldn't surprise me considering all the secrecy).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

- New episodes are written before the new Doctor is cast. I don't know how much the writers tend to write for a specific actor, but it feels weird that the plot and dialogue have not taken the actor into account. I wonder if it is just that generic, or if he at least has a specific demoraphic in mind for the next Doctor (or he might have cast them, and is just lying, wouldn't surprise me considering all the secrecy).

It might be a rough version, with the exact words to come once he knows the actor's style.

2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Interesting. So:

- We finally have a confirmation that the 60th anniversary special will be the first episode after Jodie's regeneration. No pressure, next actor!

I mean, most shows have scripts written before the actors are cast, that's completely normal. I know there is sometimes (maybe often) a degree of shaping around the actor's strengths and weaknesses after a while, but the writers are supposed to write for the character, not for the actor. Most of Eccleston's scripts were written before he was cast too. Good Omens was written before Sheen and Tennant were cast. And I could go on. The writer writes the character, and then sits back and watches what the actor brings to their words. That's how the industry has always worked. So Davies having written scripts before casting is not an unusual or worrying thing, it's perfectly normal. The writing of the character won't be 'generic', it will be the Doctor.

I think we already knew, or had presumed, that the anniversary special would be the first after the regeneration, just from the timeline and what was said when Davies's return was announced.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I mean, most shows have scripts written before the actors are cast, that's completely normal. I know there is sometimes (maybe often) a degree of shaping around the actor's strengths and weaknesses after a while, but the writers are supposed to write for the character, not for the actor. Most of Eccleston's scripts were written before he was cast too. Good Omens was written before Sheen and Tennant were cast. And I could go on. The writer writes the character, and then sits back and watches what the actor brings to their words. That's how the industry has always worked. So Davies having written scripts before casting is not an unusual or worrying thing, it's perfectly normal.

I think we already knew, or had presumed, that the anniversary special would be the first after the regeneration, just from the timeline and what was said when Davies's return was announced.

Some of Series 11's scripts were written without knowing the new Doctor was female

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, DanaK said:

Some of Series 11's scripts were written without knowing the new Doctor was female

Before casting Jodie probably, but I remember an interview where she said that Chibnall already knew that he would cast a female actor, so he was probably taking it into account. I was mostly referring to how the demographics of the actor can influence the story: for example if the actor is a POC, it will probably get referenced in an episode set in the past, and the dialogue will have to be rewritten based on the actor's gender (not saying that it is hard, just a consideration).

12 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Before casting Jodie probably, but I remember an interview where she said that Chibnall already knew that he would cast a female actor, so he was probably taking it into account. I was mostly referring to how the demographics of the actor can influence the story: for example if the actor is a POC, it will probably get referenced in an episode set in the past, and the dialogue will have to be rewritten based on the actor's gender (not saying that it is hard, just a consideration).

Maybe, but I honestly don't think it is as big a deal as you think. The character will be written as the Doctor and that's all that really matters. The rest is just detail.

(Maybe we're getting a run of episodes set in space or the future where it won't matter in the slightest what the character looks like!)

• Love 1

To clarify: I don't actually think it is a big deal, I just thought it might be worth noting, to keep the conversation going 😄. Sorry if it sounded like I'm complaining, I am actually excited for all the upcoming episodes, Chibnall's and RTD's. (Just wish there weren't such long delays.)

• Love 2