Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

Aww... I wish David's Doctor had gotten a chance to adventure with the Brigadier one last time.  I assume he was talking about The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith.  (Yep, just checked Wikipedia.) 

• Love 2

A couple of award nods notes:

Series 11's New Year's special "Resolution" was nominated in a previous announcement back in April) for a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form), but didn't win. The 2020 Hugo wins were announced a few days ago

The US Primetime Emmy Awards were announced a few days ago and the BBC's VR short Doctor Who: The Runaway was nominated in the category of Outstanding Derivative Interactive Program. It does not appear that the show or an offshoot of it has ever been nominated for a US Emmy Award

2 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Oh, that's amazing news. What a coup for Big Finish. I'm so pleased he's made peace with his time as the Doctor enough to embrace more adventures 🙂

He's not a favorite Doctor of mine, but I agree this is pretty great news particularly since he parted on such bad terms with the show and only recently has started to embrace the show again, especially with going to conventions, which seems to have helped heal his broken spirit. This could be a percurser to maybe entice him to do some 60th anniversary thing for the series

• Love 1

Yes, love! I’m always ready for more Ninth Doctor stories, and the few Nine audiobooks out there struggle to really capture his voice. I am all over this, and so happy that Eccleston is making his way back to a good place about Who.

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

He's not a favorite Doctor of mine, but I agree this is pretty great news particularly since he parted on such bad terms with the show and only recently has started to embrace the show again, especially with going to conventions, which seems to have helped heal his broken spirit. This could be a percurser to maybe entice him to do some 60th anniversary thing for the series

He isn't my favourite either but I'm really pleased about this for exactly the reasons you've laid out here.

• Love 2

He was my first Doctor, so I will always have a soft spot for him. I am glad that he seems to have made his peace with the show. I hope that this opens up avenues to maybe have him on the show for a special or something.

Edited by Arynm
Don't post while drinking,spelling suffers
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Dalek animated spin-off series coming to YouTube in November as part of Time Lord Victorious project https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-09-09/doctor-who-daleks-animation/

Not even the first Doctorless Dalek story. There was a comic way back when, later run in DWM. The Dalek Empire audios, and so on. Also, I find Dalek voices really grating after a few minutes. Sure, they're meant to be. But that doesn't change the effect. Still, 10 minutes at a time may be tolerable.

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Fat lot of good that does me. I can’t take two days off because there’s no physical con! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Aside from the usual holiday episode, any movement on S13? Or if Jodie has to decide whether to stay on?

Just now, Lantern7 said:

Aside from the usual holiday episode, any movement on S13? Or if Jodie has to decide whether to stay on?

No filming reported yet, though I've heard they may start in November. I guess it depends on the status of the pandemic and mitigation of safety protocols. I suspect they won't be able to film overseas. Killing Eve won't start until at least January because they film in several overseas locations

Jodie has said several times earlier that she will be doing Series 13 and has said she isn't looking to turn over the keys any time soon

15 hours ago, DanaK said:

No filming reported yet, though I've heard they may start in November. I guess it depends on the status of the pandemic and mitigation of safety protocols. I suspect they won't be able to film overseas.

Given that they like to film on location across both Wales and England, they are going to have to be cautious even here because the regulations are slightly different in each country, which might also have an impact on filming.

I guess they are just going to have to get creative!

FYI, the Doctor Who virtual cast panel for NY ComicCon recently concluded and a couple of promo pics for the Holiday special were released and are posted in the Series 12 Speculation/Spoilers thread as is the video of the panel

Also, in regards to Series 13 filming, Jodie said they are in prep and hope to start filming by the end of the year. The moderator also confirmed we'll get a Doctor Who marathon again on BBC America between Christmas and New Year's

Edited by DanaK

Children In Need’s 2020 telecast will be on Friday Nov 13 on the BBC, with some contribution from Doctor Who. The hope is there will be a trailer or something for the Revolution of the Daleks special and perhaps a broadcast date. There are rumors it will be shown at Christmas, but there’s been nothing official. The CiN press release https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2020/45/children-in-need

Jodie Whittaker and other British actresses to appear in spoof to benefit NHS https://cultbox.co.uk/news/jodie-whittaker-and-other-british-actresses-to-appear-in-spoof-to-benefit-nhs

In an apparent exclusive interview with the Mirror, showrunner Chris Chibnall has indicated they have started filming Series 13 and will have 8 episodes (it's not clear if the 8th is a special or regular episode) rather than the usual 11 (10 regular + 1 special) due to Covid safety protocols, it will shoot for its usual 10 months, and the series is expected to air in Autumn (Fall) 2021. A poster on the Gallifrey Base board said he'd been hearing a reduced episode count for some time (to be clear, that shouldn't have surprised anyone paying attention) and he believes it will probably be 7 episodes at 50 minutes plus a special, but who knows for sure

The article also says that the Revolution of the Daleks will air on New Years Day 2021. It also reports that Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole are departing and Mandip Gill will remain

The article: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-whos-new-series-less-22994454

Edited by DanaK

Disappointing to hear the actors are leaving. I liked Graham because he was a change of pace to have an older character. I liked all the characters, it was just an interesting new direction. I hope it's not a tragic ending. Again, it would be a nice change. I mean, I suppose Bill wasn't 'tragic' per se, but I meant a Martha like, "I think I'm going to move on now." 

1 hour ago, HauntedBathroom said:

If Chibnall finds it so difficult to produce a season of Doctor Who, show him the door and give the job to someone else.

What are you mad about? You know there’s a pandemic going on, right? Why are you crapping on Chibnall when he can’t help what’s going on? Covid protocołs are forcing many if not all shows to spend more time and money each episode and if their budget isn’t increased overall, they are cutting back on episodes. I’m just glad they are able to film the show at all right now

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Disappointing to hear the actors are leaving. I liked Graham because he was a change of pace to have an older character. I liked all the characters, it was just an interesting new direction. I hope it's not a tragic ending. Again, it would be a nice change. I mean, I suppose Bill wasn't 'tragic' per se, but I meant a Martha like, "I think I'm going to move on now." 

My guess is it won’t be a tragic ending, that after probable months without the Doctor, they went back to their lives and Ryan decides he doesn’t want to continue traveling (as he indicated he was leaning towards in Series 12) and Graham has overcome his grief and decides to stay with him. My guess is Yaz isn’t happy being a cop and indicates she isn’t ready to stop traveling with the Doctor

I don't begrudge the show the shorter season or the longer wait. Even though it's disappointing for me, we all know how it is out there, and I'd rather they take their time so everyone can be safe. Bummed to hear Bradley and Tosin are going, but I suppose it doesn't really surprise me. For the last two seasons, it feels like the show's been spinning its wheels on really developing the companions or their individual relationships with the Doctor, which has to be frustrating for an actor, and there's no real reason for them to think another season is going to change that. Hopefully having just Jodie and Mandip will mean Yaz and the Yaz-Doctor relationship gets better fleshed out.

• Love 2

We still haven't gotten official confirmation on Walsh and Cole leaving and the Mirror is not a trusted source.  Let's see what happens there.

I'd hate to see them go but I do wonder if the relationship with The Doctor might benefit from only having one companion.  13 has treated the companions like an entity instead of as individuals.  We don't get many one-on-one scenes with the Doctor and a specific companion.  We got one last season with Graham relating his fears about cancer to The Doctor and the show inexplicably had this version of The Doctor get like Capaldi's and not have any idea how to have a heart-to-heart with someone.

I know last season seems to have been a mixed bag for viewers but I enjoyed it very much, except for the way the big storylines played out and how one villain was just disposed of.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, benteen said:

We still haven't gotten official confirmation on Walsh and Cole leaving and the Mirror is not a trusted source.  Let's see what happens there.

I'd hate to see them go but I do wonder if the relationship with The Doctor might benefit from only having one companion.  13 has treated the companions like an entity instead of as individuals.  We don't get many one-on-one scenes with the Doctor and a specific companion.  We got one last season with Graham relating his fears about cancer to The Doctor and the show inexplicably had this version of The Doctor get like Capaldi's and not have any idea how to have a heart-to-heart with someone.

I agree that if the show isn't prepared to actually invest in the development of the three companions, they are better off dropping to just the one and putting all the effort into her. I mean, I'd rather they switch to more character-driven writing, but since that doesn't seem to be on the cards, hopefully Yaz will (if this is true) benefit from being the one and only. It's a shame to lose Graham, though, and I thought Ryan had plenty of potential that was never even remotely realised, so I wish they'd done more with them all from the start. But it is what it is.

The reduced episode order isn't a surprise, given the circumstances, but it is a pity. Remember the heady days of the David Tennant and Matt Smith eras when we got 13 episodes a season plus a Christmas special? Those were the days!

• Love 2

Graham was the type of companion I was hoping for from the beginning.  An older Ian type.  Don't get me wrong, he is NOTHING like Ian but I liked the idea of an older man as a companion for this Doctor.  He's been the best of the three companions by far and it's not even close.

At least they started making more of an effort with Yaz last season although I feel Yaz's law enforcement is still underutilized.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, DanaK said:

What are you mad about? You know there’s a pandemic going on, right? Why are you crapping on Chibnall when he can’t help what’s going on? Covid protocołs are forcing many if not all shows to spend more time and money each episode and if their budget isn’t increased overall, they are cutting back on episodes. I’m just glad they are able to film the show at all right now

I'm mad because in the four (4) years since Chibnall got the job, he's produced two (2) seasons of reduced episode counts, all of which occured before Covid kicked off in Europe. If he wants to make even fewer episodes now, Covid gives him an excuse, but there's no excuse for his passivity to his job before 2020.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, HauntedBathroom said:

I'm mad because in the four (4) years since Chibnall got the job, he's produced two (2) seasons of reduced episode counts, all of which occured before Covid kicked off in Europe. If he wants to make even fewer episodes now, Covid gives him an excuse, but there's no excuse for his passivity to his job before 2020.

The showrunner really doesn't have as much control over the number of episodes ordered as you think. It's more about budget and production schedules, most of which is out of the showrunner's hands. He plays a part in the negotiation, but does not get the final say.

The show has skipped years before Chibnall, for various reasons. The episode count started to be reduced before Chibnall took over. He can be held accountable for the quality of the show as written by him, but not for decisions made by the BBC for budgetary and scheduling purposes - or, in this case, for reasons dictated by a global pandemic. Let us just be thankful they are managing to film any episodes at all (and maybe keep our hopes up for the quality? or is that too much to hope for?).

• Love 3
On 11/12/2020 at 9:10 AM, benteen said:

The Mirror itself is something to wrap fish in, but the article's writer Nicola Methven tends to be fairly reliable. From everything I hear (more rumors and observations really), Walsh and Cole are gone after the special (Cole himself has been cast in an AMC series) and it appears Mandip is staying. If so and given the pandemic, it's quite possible they'll just stick with Yaz as the sole companion to keep the cast number down, with the possibility that they'll have a part-time second companion occasionally show up, like Capt Jack did previously with the 9th and 10th Doctors

On 11/13/2020 at 8:31 AM, Llywela said:

The showrunner really doesn't have as much control over the number of episodes ordered as you think. It's more about budget and production schedules, most of which is out of the showrunner's hands. He plays a part in the negotiation, but does not get the final say.

The show has skipped years before Chibnall, for various reasons. The episode count started to be reduced before Chibnall took over. He can be held accountable for the quality of the show as written by him, but not for decisions made by the BBC for budgetary and scheduling purposes - or, in this case, for reasons dictated by a global pandemic. Let us just be thankful they are managing to film any episodes at all (and maybe keep our hopes up for the quality? or is that too much to hope for?).

I don't know . . . in the last three years they've aired 20 episodes and one special.  Meanwhile the Great British Baking Show managed to do an entire full season during the lockdown.  I know it's apples to oranges, but at some point Who's scarcity really becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Nobody misses a show they never see.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, truther said:

I don't know . . . in the last three years they've aired 20 episodes and one special.  Meanwhile the Great British Baking Show managed to do an entire full season during the lockdown.  I know it's apples to oranges, but at some point Who's scarcity really becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Nobody misses a show they never see.  

I think part of the issue with the delays is the writing. You can be writing and putting together scripts for the next series during production of the current series or you can do the writing for the next series after you finished producing the current series. It seems Chibnall may have opted for the 2nd and the pandemic pushed things out further. Also, I think Chibnall wanted to give the actors and production folks more time between series so he doesn't burn people out. 13/14 episodes during the RTD and Moffat era exhausted the showrunners and actors. Doctor Who is a massive undertaking for British TV and its puny budget (compared to US shows) makes it hard to get the show done in a quick fashion. I bet if you doubled the budget, we could easily have 8 or 10 episode seasons every year

2 hours ago, truther said:

That's a false equivalence. There is a massive, massive difference between a competitive reality baking show that takes place in a single location with a fixed cast, and a scripted drama that requires new locations and cast for each episode, wardrobe, props, special effects, and so on. The two are simply not comparable, even before you start to take into account the impact of social distancing restrictions - far easier to work around in a competitive baking show than a scripted drama.

There are a lot of reasons why Doctor Who has had delays between seasons and has dropped the number of episodes per year, and like I said, those reasons are to do with budget, production scheduling, and, this year, the pandemic. The only delay that Chibnall was directly responsible for was when he first agreed to take over but wasn't available to take up the reins immediately. The rest is multi-causal - and DW is far from the only show to have had filming bumped back a few months this year. I know it is nice to have someone to point the finger at, and I'm not a fan of Chibnall's writing myself, but the reasons for the delay in filming the next season of Doctor Who can't be laid at his door.

Once upon a time, Doctor Who was off the air for 16 years, and still found an audience when it came back. A slightly longer than planned hiatus due to global pandemic is nothing by comparison. Because yes, people can miss a show that's been off air for quite some time, and yes, people do still make the effort to tune in when the next season airs, even if it's been longer than they'd hoped. Long gaps between seasons is fairly normal here in the UK - our production schedule in general is very different than in the US.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 4