Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

On 12/1/2019 at 12:41 PM, DanaK said:

“I’m devastated to have to tell you that due to a severe neck injury, which has made it impossible for me to sing & move, I’ve been rushed to hospital for a diagnosis. The Doctors have advised me to not perform this weekend while I try and recover, so I’ve had to make the very difficult decision to cancel my performances at the Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday 30th November and at the SEC Armadillo, Glasgow, on Sunday 1st December.

I am so disappointed and upset as I was looking forward to seeing you all, I feel I am letting everyone down, but it’s simply not possible for me to do the show in my current condition. We have thankfully managed to open the Oxford New Theatre concert (Sat 14th December) for Bristol audience members to transfer to, and we have managed to move the Glasgow date to Tues 3rd December so I really hope you will be able to still see me have A Fabulous Christmas. All my love, John x”

He later got an MRI showing a vertebrae problem

This month old message from John Barrowman is even more concerning these days. Is John okay?

4 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

This month old message from John Barrowman is even more concerning these days. Is John okay?

He's currently a judge on that Dancing on Ice or something British show, so he seems to be doing just fine

3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not saying I didn't love it, it's a great episode. But the best? Not for me. These types of lists are completely subjective though.

I think it is considered #1 (and it isn't for me) because  the enemy was so good. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I think it is considered #1 (and it isn't for me) because  the enemy was so good. 

Personally, I think it's more because the episode is so well known (thanks to the Angels, and a couple catch phrases, "Don't Blink" and the wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey thing) that it's a go-to 'choice' for the people who write these things.

2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Personally, I think it's more because the episode is so well known (thanks to the Angels, and a couple catch phrases, "Don't Blink" and the wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey thing) that it's a go-to 'choice' for the people who write these things.

There is also Carey Mulligan. 

From the Guardian, why Doctor Who is the show fans love to hate https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/feb/19/the-diehards-of-doom-why-doctor-who-is-the-show-fans-love-to-hate

Interesting article. I recommend reading it. In my view as a fairly new viewer, there are 2 main problems Who has in appealing to a wide variety of people: Reason 1, it's a different show nearly every episode. If someone doesn't like historicals, then they will dislike the historical episodes. If they don't like this or that type of episode, then those episodes won't appeal to them. Unless someone has a wide range to their viewing tastes, like I do, then not every episode will appeal to them. Reason 2, the show reboots every few seasons, with a new lead, and likely one or more new companions. If someone doesn't like the actor playing the Doctor or the actors playing the companions, then they will have a harder time liking the season. And not just the actor changes, the Doctor's personality changes as well and it could be mean to nice or vice versa, or somewhere in between. A viewer could have a harder time latching onto a Doctor if the personality grates on them. That's the main reason I didn't like Capaldi's 12th Doctor for most of his run, even though I did like quite a few episodes (and I didn't watch his ear until Fall of 2018, a few years after the fact).

So trying to appeal to a wide range of fans when each season has such a wide variety of episodes (except maybe when there's an arc of episodes going on) and the main lead changes every few years is a needle Who has to carefully thread on a regular basis. I can understand why at least some segment of the fandom is unhappy on a regular basis, perhaps moreso then many other shows. At the same time, they aren't the only show or movie series that has to struggle with vocal fandoms. At the very least, the Star Wars film series and the Star Trek TV and film series have had to struggle with this and Game of Thrones clearly had some unhappy fans, especially in its last season

Moved this from the Series 12 Spoiler thread because it's about the show in general

Per the Hollywood Reporter, Piers Wenger, controller of BBC drama (and previously a producer for Who), while talking to reporters about the BBC, says the BBC is a long way from resting Doctor Who when asked about the ratings

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bbc-is-primary-incubator-storytelling-talent-uk-drama-boss-1280748

From what I’ve heard before and what Piers said, the show makes money for the BBC, including with international partners, so I don’t see the BBC anytime soon wanting to rest the show for 5-10 years like some fans seem to want. Resting is really canceling until someone comes along with a new idea and there’s no guarantee the show will come back from a second cancelation. The more likely option is for Jodie to leave after Series 13 and get a new Doctor and/or do another reset. However, I think the bigger worry is what effect external factors will have, like the BBC losing more funding or the license fee going away, the economy going south, ratings for TV in general getting far worse, and more competition, especially from streamers, eating more into the audience

Edited by DanaK
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I don't follow the series as closely as others, so I have to ask: were "The sky is falling!" posts as prevalent during the Capaldi era the way they are now?

Every new Doctor is hailed by some sections of the fandom as the worst ever and the destroyer of the show. I can't find it now, but somewhere floating around the interwebz is a scan of an old newspaper letters page bearing a massive rant about how Patrick Troughton will never be the Doctor and the show is ruined, should just cancel it now. That was in 1966. Fandom never changes.

With Whittaker it is that much worse, of course, because she is female, which lends additional spite and venom to certain types of people.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I don't follow the series as closely as others, so I have to ask: were "The sky is falling!" posts as prevalent during the Capaldi era the way they are now?

I think a lot of DW fans enjoyed the 3 previous Doctors connections with their companions that the Capaldi- Clara connection just didn't bring it, maybe Capaldi was too old???  Look at the amount of viewers during the Capaldi seasons and there's a definite drop in ratings. 

• Love 1
On 2/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

It is also well written, a self-contained stand alone story AND genuinely scary. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I agree with you. It's a great episode, and a fav. But the best episode of Doctor Who? I don't think so.

I’d never take a job making those lists, my thinking isn’t linear enough. I can see some episodes that are great payoffs for storylines that don’t stand well without the storylines. So generally not good at it. 

what are your picks?

On 2/26/2020 at 9:31 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I think a lot of DW fans enjoyed the 3 previous Doctors connections with their companions that the Capaldi- Clara connection just didn't bring it, maybe Capaldi was too old???  Look at the amount of viewers during the Capaldi seasons and there's a definite drop in ratings. 

For me the problem is Clara seem to look upon the Doctor as her "boyfriend".  Boom, he regenerated and he wasn't anymore. I don't think it was an age thing. I thought he was fabulous with Bill. They should have let Clara go early on and had him with a more Bill like companion, he was her  good friend, her mentor, not a giggly love interest. 

• Love 5

Programming reminder: The Series 12 finale “The Timeless Children” on Sunday night will be shown on the BBC from 6:50 pm to 8pm. The episode page and producers may say it’s 65 minutes but the time slot is 70 minutes long and several articles say it’s 70 minutes. Just be prepared if you are recording and be prepared for the earlier start time. I hope the BBC is properly promoting the earlier start time. On BBC America in the US, the episode starts at the usual time of 8pm ET/7pm CT and goes for 1 hour 33 minutes

Wow, wasn't it great to group watch Day of the Doctor again this evening? It's so good to be reminded of the time Doctor Who was fun, and dramatic, and witty, and cast with charming, charasmatic actors.

Ah well, won't be long till Chibnall flounces off to make another improving drama. 🙄

• Love 1
On 3/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, DanaK said:

Looks like the US release has been delayed to June 9, at least via Amazon.com. They are likely prioritizing

There will be another global fan watch on Thursday at 7pm UK time, this time of “Rose” (Series 1 Episode 1) on its 15th anniversary I think. Russell T. Davies will be live tweeting along on Twitter (he’s getting a Twitter account for the occasion reportedly). There are reports he will create or has created an intro for it like what was done for Day of the Doctor

New thing from Jodie as The Doctor

ETA: Per Costume Designer Ray Holman, 1. he had given Jodie a costume to take home for personal appearances or promotional reasons if needed. 2. The video was done in isolation. 3. It was organized by Jodie, showrunner Chris Chibnall, and I think producer Matt Strevens

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 3

Ah, bless. That reminded me of the message Peter Capaldi recorded as the Doctor for a young fan going through a difficult time. Also, before I read the rest of your post, I thought, "I love that she just has a spare costume in her home." Very nice.

• Love 2
(edited)

Reminder that the Series 12 soundtrack is now out. You should be able to find it at the various digital outlets like iTunes. Places like Amazon probably have a CD available

ETA:

Doctor Who short story by Moffat

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2