Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Your Turn

preeya
  • Start Topic

S02.E01 Your Turn

Summary:  Max works to find a new normal three months after the accident and the birth of his daughter. Kapoor grapples with the stigma of aging. Iggy has a successful day that inspires a life-changing idea. Reynolds deals with an unreliable new intern.

Edited by preeya

It was dicey for awhile when everyone else was accounted for but her, but I knew Sharpe wasn't dead when it was three months later and her name was still on her door even though the blackmailing doctor had taken over temporarily.

What happened between Max and Sharpe in the last three months that made him be such an asshole to her when she returned? That she "left him" after Georgia died?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 7

I figured Georgia was dead when we heard Luna cry, Georgia say “it’s your turn” and Max replied “it’s always my turn.” Given his character, he wouldn’t say that statement unless it was literally true.

However, we haven’t seen Max’s secretary, who paced along side him last year. Although we did see Iggy’s secretary pick up that role. The I saw that actress is on a new ABC series so I thought we’d learn she was killed.

• Love 5

I'm just super glad Helen is alive!! I didn't really care about Georgia at all, so not sorry she's gone. But on the other hand, I wasn't interested in Max's home life stories, so Georgia being gone means he's a single dad, which means it will be just as much focus with her gone. Ah well.

I hope this doesn't mean Bloom's addiction storyline will be front and center again. I was happy she was recovering. 

• Love 5

I was hoping Bloom and Georgia would have died; they both dragged down the show last season. I think it was pretty obvious from “it’s always my turn” coupled with Max taking Luna to work with him.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Helen and Max together?  I really hope they don’t go there.  I actually liked Georgia and am sad she’s gone.

I like Helen and Max together, but only as best friends. That said, I didn't like the Georgia character at all, and I'm not sorry she's gone, though I wish they hadn't gone the tragic route.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, NYCFree said:

I figured Georgia was dead when we heard Luna cry, Georgia say “it’s your turn” and Max replied “it’s always my turn.” Given his character, he wouldn’t say that statement unless it was literally true.

My first thought at the beginning of that last scene was "why is this woman always in bed?" and then it hit me that she was in his imagination.

• Love 7

I like Helen very much and it looks as if she and Bloom are finding or will find a way to restore their relationship.

9 hours ago, mommalib said:

Reynolds and Evie aren't gonna last. Their schedule's is gonna come between them. He's gonna get with Bloom at some point.

Agree. If Bloom had been the one to die, I would've been OK with that, though. 

Very glad that Georgia is no longer on the show, although in a way, she's even MORE "present" than ever, as I suspect Max's trauma over losing her will become another character in and of itself, and I am not looking forward to that. 

• Love 8

I'm just happy that Helen survived.  The actress who played Georgia was just a recurring guest star so if someone had to go it makes total sense for it to be her.  Plus, I wasn't ever interested in Max's home life either.

I love Reynolds and Evie together so I sincerely hope that he doesn't eventually hook up with Bloom.  For one thing they had no sexual chemistry together.  She seemed too desperate to hook up with him again in the beginning and for him it seemed like she was just an itch he had scratched. 

Three months seems kind of soon for Bloom to be back at work considering she flatlined for a bit there.  And if she was ready to take a permanent break from her hectic, all-work lifestyle three months ago, I'm curious to know why she'd decide to return to the hospital after a near death experience.  Usually that would end up with someone realizing that there's more to life than what you do for a living. 

I already hate the cancer doc lady who took over Max's care.  What a nasty person, making veiled threats about withholding Max's treatment. 

• Love 6

I’m glad they killed off the character of Georgia.  I’m glad Helen is around and I wonder if/when Max will find out that he was used as a pawn/leverage in the oncologist getting a promotion via veiled blackmail.  

We’re back for another season of wish fulfillmet re: the insurance/pharma/ medical diseases.

I know it will never happen in the real world, it’s nice to see the good guys win.

• Love 6

I feel as if I'm missing something; was Dr. Castro ever shown last season? I get who she is, and what's happening, but I felt as if I were joining the scene between Helen and her midstream, without any prior context. I may well just not be remembering her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

While I did wonder why Max took the baby to work, I thought maybe Georgia was still recovering.  Then, when he came home and she was still in bed I thought maybe she was paralyzed.  The only reason I didn't bu in to it being her that was dead  was because I remember an interview with the creator or producer back in May where he said that they were not interested in making Max a single dad.  It wasn't until the second "It's always my turn" that I figured it out.  As an aside, the actress who played Georgia can really sing!

I am just soooooo happy that they did not kill Helen.  I LOVE her and I love her and Max's friendship.  Her character is just so interesting to me and I think her accent is the coolest ever.  I would be ok with her and Max getting together one day but I'm not shipping them necessarily.  I do also wonder why Max seemed so aloof with her.    I kind of got the feeling that he did not want to be around anyone who reminded him of the accident because he was similarly checked out when Bloom returned.   I absolutely hate addiction / recovery storylines so I really hope they don't go that route (again) with Bloom.  

I am not sad Georgia is gone.  That actress and Ryan Eggold did not have one ounce of chemistry together.  Though, add me to the group who dislikes shows with babies.  Hopefully Luna spends a lot of time in daycare and we rarely see her.  

• Love 6

When Max returned home and the house was silent, I knew Georgia was gone.  I wish the actress luck, because they did nothing with her character so I won’t miss her.  

They could have gotten rid of Bloom, too.  She’s just annoying.  I have a feeling they’re going to have her and Reynolds hook up.  No thanks.

Castro is gunning for Helen’s job, I bet.  Awful woman.  But very glad Helen made it.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, rove4 said:

Three months seems kind of soon for Bloom to be back at work considering she flatlined for a bit there.  And if she was ready to take a permanent break from her hectic, all-work lifestyle three months ago, I'm curious to know why she'd decide to return to the hospital after a near death experience.  Usually that would end up with someone realizing that there's more to life than what you do for a living. 

From the look of the scar on her leg (which looked to me more like recently closed cut than three-month-old scar) it seemed like she shouldn't be walking so much. It's not like ER docs can just sit down whenever they need to.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

From the look of the scar on her leg (which looked to me more like recently closed cut than three-month-old scar) it seemed like she shouldn't be walking so much. It's not like ER docs can just sit down whenever they need to.

Starting her out with purely administrative duties would make more sense than having her be on her feet most of the day. 

1 hour ago, cam3150 said:

While I did wonder why Max took the baby to work, I thought maybe Georgia was still recovering.  Then, when he came home and she was still in bed I thought maybe she was paralyzed.

I started the episode thinking that Georgia was dead.  When the camera pulled back and showed her in bed next to Max I figured he was dreaming or it was a wish manifestation.  When he picked up Luna the camera held tight on the two of them and I figured that when it pulled back to reveal the background that the vision of Georgia would be gone.  When she was still there and they started singing to her I thought, "well, okay she lived".  I thought, like you, that maybe she'd been paralyzed and that's why it was always Max's turn...because she just can't make it out of bed fast enough.  So even though I started out thinking she was dead, the show made me doubt.  I didn't connect the comment about the one doctor who asked him how long he was going to be mad at him because I didn't remember who he was.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, rove4 said:

I didn't connect the comment about the one doctor who asked him how long he was going to be mad at him because I didn't remember who he was.

I just figured whoever was dead (and obviously it was either Georgia, Helen, or Bloom) he was going to be mad at the doctor who failed to save her so that wasn't much of a clue (I have no recollection of that particular character so if he was connected to a specific patient in the finale I don't remember).

• Love 3

Castro is gunning for Helen’s job, I bet.  Awful woman.  But very glad Helen made it.  

She'll be gunning for Max, too, so imagine that dynamic. You know the writers have to go the easy, obvious, soapy path.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My first thought at the beginning of that last scene was "why is this woman always in bed?" and then it hit me that she was in his imagination.

LOL.  I didn't get it until the end either.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, rove4 said:

I already hate the cancer doc lady who took over Max's care.  What a nasty person, making veiled threats about withholding Max's treatment. 

Yeah, that was mustache-twirling villain stuff. So over the top.

This episode was a bit dull. The Iggy scenes just draged for me, as they usually do. It's as if he belongs on a different show altogether. And Kapoor feels almost as disconnected himself. Frankly, when Max and Helen aren't in a scene the show stinks.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, mojito said:

She'll be gunning for Max, too, so imagine that dynamic. You know the writers have to go the easy, obvious, soapy path.

Like a love triangle?  Blech.  Castro was such a stereotypical villain, I'm amazed she wasn't rubbing her hands in glee.

15 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

The Iggy scenes just draged for me, as they usually do. It's as if he belongs on a different show altogether.

I like Iggy, but that had me rolling my eyes.  They barely have time for the 4 kids they have, now he wants another?  I don't remember his partner's name, is he a stay-at-home dad?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Didn't Iggy have an issue with [alleged?] inappropriate contact with a teenage patient last season? And now he's got little kids climbing all over him?

This time there was another adult in the room supervising. That's the important part when dealing with minors - always have someone else in the room with you.

Also, this show is back. Another season of insane stuff that would never happen.

So, oncologist blackmailing Sharpe? That doctor should have her ass reported to the medical board and to Max. She probably did some of the research while at the hospital - so they own it (Or it might be public, since New Amsterdam is a public hospital), so she can't dangle that over their heads.

The RA patient with the abscess? A lot of RA meds are immunosuppressive, so if she had an abscess, immunosuppressives wouldn't fight an infected abscess, it would make it kill her quicker!

I like that they are pretty much injecting Max with magic juice now, so they don't need to shave the actor or anything

• Love 1

I didn't read the whole thread, maybe this has been pointed out already. I think I heard that young doctor in the ER told someone that they had lost "two of their own" - meaning the paramedic and one more. I might have heard it wrong but I hate when writers do this. If Bloom had died, yes. Two of their own. But Georgia wasn't part of the hospital so the writing was a very bad attempt to confuse viewers about who actually died.

I never cared for Georgia, the character was badly written so she will not be missed. And why is Max being such a child with Sharpe? Felt abandoned? Please!

I am in the team NO Max/Sharp romance. 

• Love 3

I didn't read the whole thread, maybe this has been pointed out already. I think I heard that young doctor in the ER told someone that they had lost "two of their own" - meaning the paramedic and one more.

I heard it, too. I guess the wife is considered one of "our own", at least by one person. (I thought he was a nurse, is he a doctor?)

On 9/24/2019 at 10:23 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, sure, terminate a major drug supplier contract and then start building a lab to manufacture insulin on site. All in the same day. Uh huh.

Walmart has insulin for under $25 a vial and you don't need a prescription.  It sure would be nice if they mentioned this in the episode if they're trying to be helpful.  It's an older style of insulin and you should ask your doctor about it.  Do not get a prescription or they will charge you more.

It's Novolin N, Novolin R, and Novolin 70/30 (70% N and  30% R).  You can buy up to 4 vials of each at a time.  N is NPH insulin which is intermediate acting and will stay in your system longer.  R is regular human insulin.  Both of these are the types that they would have produced in their lab.

TV and movies are really bad when it comes to presenting stories about diabetes.  They perpetuate myths rather than being informative.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

This time there was another adult in the room supervising. That's the important part when dealing with minors - always have someone else in the room with you.

Oh, I didn't notice another adult. Still seems like a bad idea.

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

The RA patient with the abscess? A lot of RA meds are immunosuppressive, so if she had an abscess, immunosuppressives wouldn't fight an infected abscess, it would make it kill her quicker!

So they're saying she had a tooth abscess for an extended period of time and it never caused her any pain that would lead her to get it looked at?

3 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I never cared for Georgia, the character was badly written so she will not be missed. And why is Max being such a child with Sharpe? Felt abandoned? Please!

It could be that.  If Helen skipped out to return to her talk show circuit right when Max is going through the worst experience of his life then I think it'd be only normal for him to be giving her the cold shoulder treatment.  He considers her to be a close friend and people tend to expect their friends to be supportive during tough times.  That's normal and I wouldn't fault Max for that.

OR (because I don't see Helen doing that)

It could also be that Max is compartmentalizing, that he's throwing all his focus and attention on the hospital and his work in order to keep himself from constantly being aware of the gaping wound in his life.  So he's avoiding Sharpe because she is such a good friend and he knows he wouldn't be able to keep up the facade around her.  He doesn't want to face his grief full on, he doesn't want to talk about it and both things would inevitably happen if he stopped moving long enough to have any meaningful conversation with Helen.  

I'm betting on the second possibility. 

• Love 5

Totally on team "no Max + Helen". I like her with her incredibly handsome boyfriend. Is he coming back this season?

When they were trying to trick us into thinking that Georgia had survived, I was like "Noooooo! I thought she was being killed off!" 

How long will Max hold a grudge against the doctor who treated Georgia? I'm assuming that doctor did everything that he could and didn't bungle things up.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Totally on team "no Max + Helen". I like her with her incredibly handsome boyfriend. Is he coming back this season?

When they were trying to trick us into thinking that Georgia had survived, I was like "Noooooo! I thought she was being killed off!" 

How long will Max hold a grudge against the doctor who treated Georgia? I'm assuming that doctor did everything that he could and didn't bungle things up.

The grudge is absolutely ridiculous and insulting to all medical professionals. It's a really bad story line and pisses me off more than all of the other  moronic happenings this show spews. 

• Love 4

I think Max's bitterness is completely in character. He has been an "all of the above" type from the very beginning, which is something Georgia continually brought up when trying to reason with him. The problem with this is how blind he is to it. In "Preventable" it was Floyd's turn to bear the storm of Max's frustrations with his illness and treatment. This time it's Sharpe, Hartman and Bloom's turn. 

Now, Bloom and Sharpe came through for the Goodwins and saved baby Luna and Georgia's lives while showing utter selflessness and respect towards Max and his family. Last season's blackout episode is a character study of a leader who cannot handle loss. Remember Sharpe trying to convince him that someone would die and they had to choose how to allocate their resources? He couldn't, and he didn't. 

Helen warned Max that while things worked out then it's not realistic to expect to save everyone every time, the same lesson learned in 'Preventable' when Reynolds' patient died, overcome by the wounds and trauma she suffered. It is devastating to see Max go through Georgia's death, though. Considering everything else, Georgia's death just seems so cruel, tbh.

That said, so far it has been quite frustrating to see Helen's character growth from a somewhat cold celebrity doctor to this real, warm and enthusiastic doctor go to waste on Max. Helen has stretched herself thin professionally because of Max, gave up her relationship with Panthaki to help him, and along with Bloom unknowingly risked her life and health when she boarded the ambulance with the Goodwins. Helen has given up a lot and has little to show for it. Perhaps she'll find the inner strength to walk out at some point.

Edited by Mia Nina
  • Love 1

It's nice to see that Max's cancer treatment and single fatherhood hasn't cut into his time at the gym.  I swear he wasn't that brawny last season.

My reaction to Bloom walking into the ER in the present day:  "Oh no, she lived."

20 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I like Iggy, but that had me rolling my eyes.  They barely have time for the 4 kids they have, now he wants another?  I don't remember his partner's name, is he a stay-at-home dad?

Martin (the husband) said something like he'd gotten to FaceTime with a patient who was escalating, so it sounds like he's also a shrink.  As a shrink myself, I shudder to think what it's like being married to one.

I have RA.  My immune system is so messed up from my meds, I get walloped by infections, especially viruses.  I've gotten the flu in each of the last three years, including twice last year.  I cannot imagine any possible scenario by which those medications would start attacking bacteria in lieu of my overactive TNF-alpha.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Oh, I didn't notice another adult. Still seems like a bad idea.

So they're saying she had a tooth abscess for an extended period of time and it never caused her any pain that would lead her to get it looked at?

Yeah, there was that one woman who is in a lot of Iggy's scenes - I think maybe a psych nurse? It definitely was not the best idea, especially when they dogpiled him - he should've gotten up that second and talked to them about it, but at least he didn't have them crawl under him?

Yes, that is what they were saying - that she had a tooth abscess for two years and it never caused her pain.

11 hours ago, alexvillage said:

He could be a nurse. I thought he was an intern. I really have no idea, LOL.

He is definitely junior staff of some kind - not an orderly, somewhere between a nurse and an intern, I think - based on how he questioned Bloom prescribing a patient a drug they were allergic to last season. Maybe an LPN?

• Love 1
On 9/25/2019 at 6:17 AM, ams1001 said:

I irrationally dislike her so much, that I was thinking "the baby wasn't even home all day and she can't even get up when it cries?  It's his turn even though he's been at work?  What has she been doing all day?" and then I realized she was dead.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:28 AM, Biggie B said:

I like Helen very much and it looks as if she and Bloom are finding or will find a way to restore their relationship.

Agree. If Bloom had been the one to die, I would've been OK with that, though. 

Very glad that Georgia is no longer on the show, although in a way, she's even MORE "present" than ever, as I suspect Max's trauma over losing her will become another character in and of itself, and I am not looking forward to that. 

Kind of like on Ray Donovan when Abby finally died and she was on the screen 10x as much for flash backs and hallucinations as Ray and the family dealt with it.  It was a great lesson in be careful what you wish for.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah, there was that one woman who is in a lot of Iggy's scenes - I think maybe a psych nurse? It definitely was not the best idea, especially when they dogpiled him - he should've gotten up that second and talked to them about it, but at least he didn't have them crawl under him?

Yes, that is what they were saying - that she had a tooth abscess for two years and it never caused her pain.

He is definitely junior staff of some kind - not an orderly, somewhere between a nurse and an intern, I think - based on how he questioned Bloom prescribing a patient a drug they were allergic to last season. Maybe an LPN?

What is between a nurse and an intern? He is an RN.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 1

I feel like this forum has some real power. Remember all last year we bitched about Georgia? Then they kill her off!!  Let's talk about how we want to see Ryan Eggold naked over and over again.

The show is back with it's same ridiculous and unrealistic storylines with a little current events social justice sprinkled in and I am here for it,

• Love 5