Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: The Following Options

• Start Topic

Didn’t Steve learn all about being okay with gay back in the cuppachino episode in college? 

If we’re continuing to complain about stupid retcons (and why shouldn’t we): Kelly doesn’t remember spending christmas with her grandfather. She (and Jackie) ended up with the Walshes like every christmas and thanksgiving in high school and college. The Walsh family magic clearly overshadowed poor granddad (who by the way didn’t seem to act on his grandaughter being left with a substance abusing mom either), so he had nothing left but to smike cigarettes in his loneliness.

• Love 5

I like that Dylan still misses Toni and that that storyline wasn't immediately forgotten the second he returned to the show. I also love how he only wanted to go on a trip with Kelly but wanted to marry Toni. Guess you're not the love of his life, Kel. 

• Love 2

Again, Dylan is so torn up about Toni that he's having nightmares about her death, selling the car and burning the "dirty money" he got for it, turning back to heroin (which, way to ignore his drinking problem, Show, but pick back up the drug issues he spiraled into from said drinking problem), but is also sniffing all over Kelly and kissing her?  'Kay?

I had forgotten that Gina was so pathetically thirsty for Dylan from the jump.  At least with Val, in the beginning, she was straight-up playing him.  Oh Val, I already miss you so!

Does Rush ever find out about Samantha being gay?  I feel like that would be an amazing scene!

• Love 3

I had forgotten the part where Dylan burnt the money.  What a typically selfish thing to do.  I totally get not wanting to keep that money but how about you put it to some good use and give it to charity?  Maybe something that involves stuff he's gone through, like battling drug and alcohol addiction (though I suppose he and the writers have now forgotten about that).  Even donating it to some group to fight gun violence would be appropriate (though I suppose the gang could always electric slide their way to ending gun violence once again).  Burning the money is just more of Dylan yelling out "ME ME ME!!!!"  It's all about Dylan and his PAIN!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

Also, if he’s still a multimillionaire then donate the car to an auto museum or something.

I think the “gang members” want to be doing the west coast sign a la Snoop Dogg, but perhaps the show didn’t want to offend any actual gang members.

54C91FC4-592F-4DB7-8D87-AB8E0888F4AC.jpeg

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 1

Again I really have to bring up never really seeing these episodes. None of them ring a bell of having seen them in reruns. (Honestly I only know of Gina who I always call Gia and her backstory because I saw her two final episodes) I remember seeing all the high school episodes on soapnet and the first couple seasons of college and then when Val arrived but then I’d stopped needing to watch soapnet reruns because I just started dvring the Oc and VM and OTH episodes I wanted to watch. And also I’ve seen the series finale, for some reason.

So anyway.. none of these episodes ring a bell and I’m entirely lost with how this show kept going on and on. That’s what perplexes me a lot. Better shows have had only two seasons. I mean yeah there are still some shows that go on too long in today’s day but I’m sorry this show would never make it on to today. Not to mention the actors would probably want out sooner as well.

It does explain the constant cast turnover though. This show was long, not just the 10 years it went on but the seasons run. And I’m of a firm believer now tht shows today especially tend to work better in short seasons. 22-23 episodes drag shows down if you ask me. That’s just my humble opinion.

This episode was boring and I’ve never seen it, but from the clips.. it sounded really boring.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Does Rush ever find out about Samantha being gay?  I feel like that would be an amazing scene!

You're right, that would be great! IDK why, because he's a pretty reliably an asshole, but I imagine him actually being supportive and ripping on Steve for being a dick.

Also, there's no way the tobacco company would want to hire low-rent ambulance-chasing Matt.

Edited by Kerfuffler
  • Love 3

I know that the show is trying for a bit of the Dylan/Val redux in Dylan/Gina (DyGina? Ha! Not.) but unlike with Val, who he really seemed to at least like as a human being, and at most cared for as Val, Dylan appears to outright loathe Gina and yet he keeps stringing her along. I don't know if we are supposed to see his treatment of Gina as a side-effect or stand-in for his own self-loathing, but he is straight-up cruel to her in the way he treats her through their entire relationship. It's unpleasant to watch.

SDB's "Let's not run" made me laugh outloud.

I had hoped that the answer to "What is this music playing behind?" would have been of Samantha and her girlfriend having a romantic evening of Reunité in front of the fireplace.

Edited by Cekrypton1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I vaguely remember Rush meeting Samantha's girlfriend (maybe?) at Janet and Steve's baby shower (sorry, I spoiled eet). If I recall, he tried hitting on the girlfriend? Or this was all a fever dream and I'm making it up.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Again I really have to bring up never really seeing these episodes. None of them ring a bell of having seen them in reruns. (Honestly I only know of Gina who I always call Gia and her backstory because I saw her two final episodes) I remember seeing all the high school episodes on soapnet and the first couple seasons of college and then when Val arrived but then I’d stopped needing to watch soapnet reruns because I just started dvring the Oc and VM and OTH episodes I wanted to watch. And also I’ve seen the series finale, for some reason.

So anyway.. none of these episodes ring a bell and I’m entirely lost with how this show kept going on and on. That’s what perplexes me a lot. Better shows have had only two seasons. I mean yeah there are still some shows that go on too long in today’s day but I’m sorry this show would never make it on to today. Not to mention the actors would probably want out sooner as well.

It does explain the constant cast turnover though. This show was long, not just the 10 years it went on but the seasons run. And I’m of a firm believer now tht shows today especially tend to work better in short seasons. 22-23 episodes drag shows down if you ask me. That’s just my humble opinion.

This episode was boring and I’ve never seen it, but from the clips.. it sounded really boring.

Eh. It's about the network and not about the quality of the show. Fox, at time, were losing melrose place, married with children and their entire Thursday line up (Martin, Living Single and New York Undercover). They were probably just fighting to keep whatever stability they had.

I think the doctor said I am The doctor. As in, I'm the doctor on the case. Which is still really stupid but still.

I think David was trying to point out that Steve has no problem with and even seems to enjoy lesbians but when he finds out his mom is one, now is the problem. Pointing out the hypocrisy. Which also still dumb, but still.

I was disappointed in Dave not having a quip ready when Noah says he sees a whole in Dylan's seat since Dave said Dylan totally fucks his car.

44 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I was disappointed in Dave not having a quip ready when Noah says he sees a whole in Dylan's seat since Dave said Dylan totally fucks his car.

Wait...so since Dylan left town on a motorcycle, has the car been sitting in a garage untouched all these years? I remember it being pretty shot up as opposed to one sniper shot. 

As a car enthusiast, yes the Porsche is more interesting than the cast at this point. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

3 hours ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

I vaguely remember Rush meeting Samantha's girlfriend (maybe?) at Janet and Steve's baby shower (sorry, I spoiled eet). If I recall, he tried hitting on the girlfriend? Or this was all a fever dream and I'm making it up.

Not a fever dream.  It all comes to a head at Steve and Janet's wedding/baby shower when Steve tries to pass his parents off as "normal" compared to Janet's extremely traditional and uptight parents.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

Wait...so since Dylan left town on a motorcycle, has the car been sitting in a garage untouched all these years? I remember it being pretty shot up as opposed to one sniper shot. 

As a car enthusiast, yes the Porsche is more interesting than the cast at this point. 

I don't even know. I think the writers didn't either. They just thought it would poignant to bring the car back.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I don't even know. I'm the writers didn't either. They just thought it would poignant to bring the car back.

On a related note, I hate the way teen shows like BH:90210 and lately 13 Reasons Why waste these mint-condition classic cars on teenage boys (even rich ones whose parents can pay the sky-high insurance premium). Young “car guys” are generally into tuning and stuff. The O.C. is one of the only shows that reflected that it was written by a younger person car-wise.

• Love 3
On 9/24/2018 at 10:37 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

I like that Dylan still misses Toni and that that storyline wasn't immediately forgotten the second he returned to the show. I also love how he only wanted to go on a trip with Kelly but wanted to marry Toni. Guess you're not the love of his life, Kel. 

But they are soul mates!  With that bs connection through time.  Not outlander guys :).  And let’s not forget that they hate each other 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, MCMLXXVII said:

Also, if he’s still a multimillionaire then donate the car to an auto museum or something.

I think the “gang members” want to be doing the west coast sign a la Snoop Dogg, but perhaps the show didn’t want to offend any actual gang members.

54C91FC4-592F-4DB7-8D87-AB8E0888F4AC.jpeg

WEST Beverly after all.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

I seriously want to punch Kelly in the face every time she has input on Matt's cases.  Speaking of which... what legal violations did he commit this time? 

No violations this time because he didn't practice any law in this episode. 

He was STUPID, however, in letting Kelly sway him away from the tobacco company defense.  Yes, it is abhorrent what they did, but they are entitled to a defense and they pay lucratively for that right.  Matt would have resolved all of his financial troubles in a matter of months.  Further, it's pathetic how swayed he is by her when he obviously sees she has feelings/history with Dylan (and she was smooching Dylan that same episode) and says she's passing up on a good guy.  LET HER GO.  RUN AWAY.    

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dariafan said:

But they are soul mates!  With that bs connection through time.  Not outlander guys :).  And let’s not forget that they hate each other 

Yes .. I can't think of one cute moment in their entire relationship which is rare for a tv show . They really despised each other and yet we're supposed to believe they're soulmates / loves of each other's lives 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yes .. I can't think of one cute moment in their entire relationship which is rare for a tv show . They really despised each other and yet we're supposed to believe they're soulmates / loves of each other's lives 

Did Kelly have chemistry with any man they paired her with?   

22 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

Not a fever dream.  It all comes to a head at Steve and Janet's wedding/baby shower when Steve tries to pass his parents off as "normal" compared to Janet's extremely traditional and uptight parents.

You mean the parents who started out as hippy-dippy free spirits a season or so ago? The writers of this show are the worst.

• Love 7

It is incomprehensible to me that Kelly won't marry Brandon because they don't "swing from the chandeliers" and then immediately starts dating the supremely boring Matt.

Also, I love how Matt is initially kind of into Donna and then switches to Kelly.  And it is incredibly simple to do.  The "nice" girls are basically interchangeable at this point.  Being "good" is their entire character- what horrifically lazy writing.  Their various love interest use the EXACT same world to describe them- good, sweet, warm, caring, compassionate etc- BTW I am in fact making vomit noises.  They're not even 2 separate characters at this point.  Kelly could have just as easily been given the gang girl storyline.

• Love 4

Kelly needed someone who treated her like crap which is why she was so thirsty for Dylan all the time . She didn't have such a stick up her ass with Colin either because he didn't take her bitching the way Brandon or Matt would . And that's when I enjoyed her most . 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:49 AM, TeeVee329 said:

You're right, that would be great! IDK why, because he's a pretty reliably an asshole, but I imagine him actually being supportive and ripping on Steve for being a dick.

Also, there's no way the tobacco company would want to hire low-rent ambulance-chasing Matt.

hahahahahaha true

The lead pic - that's the "moderate to severe frown lines" they're talking about in late-night Botox ads.

The hairstylists just hate all the women, don't they?

Last pic - the shock of "who's going to pay for it when my electric bill doubles, dammit?"