Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Spoilers (and Spoiler Discussion)

Girl Meets Her Upcoming Episode Titles:

IMDB has them all, except Episode 18 (of course they're subject to change before airing I bet).  SOME plot info is there too.  And of course, IMDB often has wrong info.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543796/episodes?ref_=tt_ql_6

Girl Meets Boy S1, Ep1
27 Jun. 2014 Girl Meets Boy
When Maya leads a rebellion in class, Riley joins in to try to be like her - much to her father, Cory's, dismay.

Girl Meets Friendship S1, Ep2
11 Jul. 2014 Girl Meets Friendship
Riley and Maya think back on the past and how they became best friends, realizing that they are the best of friends. Meanwhile, Cory and Topanga are getting notes from Auggie's teacher saying that he's been bad at school.

Girl Meets School S1, Ep3
2014 Girl Meets School
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Marissa, Marissa, Missy S1, Ep4
2014 Girl Meets Marissa, Marissa, Missy
Riley becomes jealous when Missy starts flirting with Lucas, so she enlist Maya and Farkle's help to figure out how to flirt.

Girl Meets Brother S1, Ep5
2014 Girl Meets Brother
Cory and Topanga teach Riley the importance of responsibility, leaving her home to look after her little brother while they go out to celebrate their anniversary.

Girl Meets Father S1, Ep6
2014 Girl Meets Father
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Crazy Hat S1, Ep7
2014 Girl Meets Crazy Hat
Add a Plot

Girl Meets World of Terror S1, Ep8
2014 Girl Meets World of Terror
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Farkle's Choice S1, Ep9
Girl Meets Farkle's Choice
Farkle has to choose between Riley and Maya as dates to an awards ceremony that he attends annually. Meanwhile, Topanga, Cory, and Auggie have a book club with Auggie's girlfriend, Ava.

Girl Meets Smackle S1, Ep10
Girl Meets Smackle
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Popular S1, Ep11
Girl Meets Popular
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Maya's Mother S1, Ep12
Girl Meets Maya's Mother
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Home for the Holidays S1, Ep13
Girl Meets Home for the Holidays
Cory is excited because Shawn is finally coming to visit for Christmas. Topanga is worried that Amy will criticize her about throwing a holiday party.

Girl Meets Sneak Attack S1, Ep14
Girl Meets Sneak Attack
An exchange between Missy and Lucas has Riley seeing green; Maya and Farkle teach Riley how to flirt.

Girl Meets Fish S1, Ep15
Girl Meets Fish
Add a Plot

Girl Meets 1961 S1, Ep16
Girl Meets 1961
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Game Night S1, Ep17
Girl Meets Game Night
Cory being excited because it's family game night which is his favorite night of the month. Cory's upset about Riley's friends being there and wants to send them out but he think's that will push Riley away.

Episode #1.18 S1, Ep18
Episode #1.18
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Flaws S1, Ep19
Girl Meets Flaws
Farkle skips class after another student tells him he is weird. Riley, Maya, and Lucas then go around trying to figure out who said that and why.

Girl Meets First Date S1, Ep20
Girl Meets First Date
Add a Plot

Girl Meets Master Plan S1, Ep21
Girl Meets Master Plan
Shawn stays at the Matthew's household. Riley urges her father to come out of retirement from the meddling business to help her set up Shawn with Maya's mother. Meanwhile, Maya thinks her mother has forgotten her birthday.

Although the episode orders appear to be completely different from the early-on IMDB title capture I did before, I notice we have "Girl Meets Maya's Mother" coming up real soon (now it's supposedly Ep 7 instead of Ep 12).  I think we have a much better idea now what that episode might be about that earlier.

Especially in concert with the bits about the later episode, Girl Meets Master Plan.  Where it seems to be about setting up Shawn with Maya's mother.  Clearly the intent is that even if Maya's father is something of a heavy, that her mother won't be.

Just noticed MSN has fairly up to date Episode listings for the show:  http://tv.msn.com/tv/series-episodes/girl-meets-world/?ipp=40

Here are the upcoming eps they have info on:

Girl Meets the Truth
Next episode >< Previous episode
Episode guide
Description:
Cory teaches a lesson on truth; in the aftermath, Riley and Maya feel bad about lying to Farkle about his acting; Maya contemplates keeping a locket she found.
Original air date:
Friday, August 01, 2014 on DISN
Girl Meets Popular
Episode guide
Description:
Riley's invited to a party and is surprised when Maya is left off the list; once she gets there, she realizes that most of the party-goers are unpopular classmates.
Original air date:
Friday, August 08, 2014 on DISN
Girl Meets Maya's Mother
< Previous episode
Episode guide
Description:
Maya's artwork is displayed at a school event; Riley sees this as the perfect time for Maya to reconcile with her mother; meanwhile, former classmate Minkus makes a surprise visit to the Matthews' residence.
Original air date:
Friday, August 15, 2014 on DISN

Girl Meets Popular

Episode guide

Description:

Riley's invited to a party and is surprised when Maya is left off the list; once she gets there, she realizes that most of the party-goers are unpopular classmates.

Original air date:

Friday, August 08, 2014 on DISN

This? This exact plot happened on BMW. I'm kind of excited to see how they do this. 

This? This exact plot happened on BMW. I'm kind of excited to see how they do this. 

Makes me wonder if they pulled out scripts from the former series to alter for the new one, and update it a bit.

Makes me wonder if they pulled out scripts from the former series to alter for the new one, and update it a bit.

No problem if they did.  Done properly it's a good idea.

No problem if they did.  Done properly it's a good idea.

Oh, not slamming the idea, just genuinely curious! (Hey, it worked for L&O: UK using L&O episodes. Sure, different genre, but same idea.)

Oh, not slamming the idea, just genuinely curious! (Hey, it worked for L&O: UK using L&O episodes. Sure, different genre, but same idea.)

Is L&OUK set in the same fictional universe as normal L&O though?  Do we know?

GMW & BMW certainly are, so recycled scripts would have to be careful to parallel situations vs. copying whole scenes.

Is L&OUK set in the same fictional universe as normal L&O though?  Do we know?

I would ASSUME the answer is yes, since The Mothership, SVU, and CI were all in the same universe, as was the short-lived Conviction.

(edited)

I would ASSUME the answer is yes, since The Mothership, SVU, and CI were all in the same universe, as was the short-lived Conviction.

Well on the side of that, there's also Paris Enquêtes Criminelles, who have had John Munch appear on it.

Getting back to THIS show, it does make me wonder if at some point they're going to assert that this show happens in the same universe as any other Disney show(s).  I'm not sure I want the answer to that to be "yes".

Edited by Kromm

Doesn't it already since many characters from BMW are part of GMW's world?

BMW wasn't a Disney show.  I mean the shows that actually were created for and aired on Disney first run.

My bad. I misread the original post.

Well I know that their competition (Nickelodeon) pretty much insists their shows are all in the same Universe.  I don't know if Disney Channel does the same or not.  I suppose at some point Hannah Montana might have popped over onto some other show, but I can't say I know for sure.

I'm pretty sure Disney shows all take place in the same universe. There have been at least three show crossovers that I can remember.

Even the shows with magic and/or talking dogs?

(edited)

So if that's accurate the "Meets World" shows are so far in their own corner.

Hmm.  Actually not totally.  Boy Meets World crossed over with at least a few other 90s ABC sitcoms (Google Fu sez Sabrina The Teenage Witch and Step By Step at the bare minimum).  So it WOULD be funny if GMW gets tied in to the other Disney Channel shows, because then we have something from The Archie Comics company step-tied-in with Disney!

(and of course through those other ABC sitcoms BWM is probably tied into the entire Tommyverse)

Edited by Kromm

So if that's accurate the "Meets World" shows are so far in their own corner.

Hmm.  Actually not totally.  Boy Meets World crossed over with at least a few other 90s ABC sitcoms (Google Fu sez Sabrina The Teenage Witch and Step By Step at the bare minimum).  So it WOULD be funny if GMW gets tied in to the other Disney Channel shows, because then we have something from The Archie Comics company step-tied-in with Disney!

(and of course through those other ABC sitcoms BWM is probably tied into the entire Tommyverse)

The Tommyverse encompasses all.

BMW crossed with Sabrina The Teenage Witch, which crossed with Clueless, which crossed with Moesha, which crossed with The Parkers, which crossed with The Hughleys, which crossed with The Drew Carey Show, which crossed with Coach, which crossed with Newhart, which crossed with The Bob Newhart Show, which crossed with St. Elsewhere which all took place in the mind of Tommy Westphall.

The Tommyverse encompasses all.

BMW crossed with Sabrina The Teenage Witch, which crossed with Clueless, which crossed with Moesha, which crossed with The Parkers, which crossed with The Hughleys, which crossed with The Drew Carey Show, which crossed with Coach, which crossed with Newhart, which crossed with The Bob Newhart Show, which crossed with St. Elsewhere which all took place in the mind of Tommy Westphall.

Good job!

If you want to play more... there's now a topic for the Tommyverse.

I just read online that Eric will be on season 2.  His episode will be called Girl Meets Mr. Squirrel.  And, Mr. Feeny comes back in season 2 also.  Ben Savage tweeted a pic of him, Rider, and Danielle and Mr. Feeny's house.  Apparently, they go back to retrieve something from the past.  Yay, Eric!!!!!

• Love 1

I just read online that Eric will be on season 2.  His episode will be called Girl Meets Mr. Squirrel.  And, Mr. Feeny comes back in season 2 also.  Ben Savage tweeted a pic of him, Rider, and Danielle and Mr. Feeny's house.  Apparently, they go back to retrieve something from the past.  Yay, Eric!!!!!

That's something I've been wondering about tbh. Is Mr. Feeny dead? And they have to go to his place to retrieve something? I hope it's not the case.

As for Eric, WOOT! :D

I saw pictures a while back with Shawn and Maya's mother. The preview last week showed Maya's mother coming in for career day. I'm guessing Shawn dates her.

The episode description for "Girl Meets Master Plan" says that Riley and Cory will try to set up Shawn with Maya's mother. I kind of doubt it will work though

Edited by Bedlampuhedron

If Feeney is playing a big role I doubt his dead. Just because it would be hilarious and continue the runner I would LOVE Feeney to be Cory's boss!

Good point. Who knows?

The episode description for "Girl Meets Master Plan" says that Riley and Cory will try to set up Shawn with Maya's mother. I kind of doubt it will work though

I doubt it would either. She doesn't seem to be his type and vice versa.

Listen...I see Shawn and I still wonder about him and Angela.  I know that she wasn't a huge part of BMW (like Eric and Feeny were), but she was such a big part of Shawn's world.  Plus Shawn's a wanderer now, just like he was in that Plays With Squirrels episode, so I want him to have been keeping tabs on her like he did in that episode.  I know it's not cannon, but it just make sense.  Him and Maya's mom?  No.  I see her and I see that girl group full of nobodies that had a cameo on BMW when Shawn and Cory were at that truck stop.  Weird then and weird now.

• Love 5

Is this the next ep? I thought it was the season finale but things keep shifting on IMDB and Wiki

Listen...I see Shawn and I still wonder about him and Angela.  I know that she wasn't a huge part of BMW (like Eric and Feeny were), but she was such a big part of Shawn's world.  Plus Shawn's a wanderer now, just like he was in that Plays With Squirrels episode, so I want him to have been keeping tabs on her like he did in that episode.  I know it's not cannon, but it just make sense.  Him and Maya's mom?  No.  I see her and I see that girl group full of nobodies that had a cameo on BMW when Shawn and Cory were at that truck stop.  Weird then and weird now.

Same.  It would suck if they acted like Angela was some blip in Shawn's life when we know she was a lot more than that.  I can't lie, I'm still shipping these two 13 years later.  Even if they are over for good, I hope they mention what she's up to at the very least.

I know Trina McGee Davis (Angela) didn't always get along with the rest of the cast (no bad blood, just different work ethics, I think) which may be why she hasn't been mentioned.  But it's been a long time so I hope they got over it.

But regardless of Angela, it would feel really cheesy if Shawn and Maya's mom hooked up just to give Maya a father figure.  Too convenient and cliched.

• Love 2

Well from her IMDB it looks like Trina McGee Davis worked in the intervening years, but only a tiny bit.  But never completely quit, since she's in that massive possible hit, "LAPD African Cops", now in post-production.

I guess what I'm saying is I bet she's available if they actually want her!

But regardless of Angela, it would feel really cheesy if Shawn and Maya's mom hooked up just to give Maya a father figure.  Too convenient and clichéd.

Plus, I feel like it would mean more if he were a father figure to Maya without hooking up with her mom, because then it would be about Maya, about wanting to give her the father figure she doesn't have, rather than about him wanting an Insta-Family. I'm really hoping they go the unexpected route and Shawn and Maya's mom don't have a romantic interest in each other but he still hangs around for Maya.

• Love 3

Ben Savage recently posted a season 2 pic with Cory, Topanga, Mr. Feeny, Shawn, and it looks like Mr. Matthews. Apparently they all go back to Philadelphia for an episode in season 2.

The GMW writers posted a TON of spoilers on twitter this week. I don't have the patience to read them all, let alone link them. There were some bits about Riley and Lucas, Maya's crush on Josh, and a season 2 episode centering around death. (For what it's worth, I think the gang goes to see Feeny sometime after the death, so I think he's safe.)

Most importantly, they said now that the GMW universe is established, we should expect to see more familiar faces coming back. Also, ERIC RETURNS! I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

Ben Savage recently posted a season 2 pic with Cory, Topanga, Mr. Feeny, Shawn, and it looks like Mr. Matthews. Apparently they all go back to Philadelphia for an episode in season 2.

The GMW writers posted a TON of spoilers on twitter this week. I don't have the patience to read them all, let alone link them. There were some bits about Riley and Lucas, Maya's crush on Josh, and a season 2 episode centering around death. (For what it's worth, I think the gang goes to see Feeny sometime after the death, so I think he's safe.)

Most importantly, they said now that the GMW universe is established, we should expect to see more familiar faces coming back. Also, ERIC RETURNS! I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

Ah. Sounds interesting.

I have to see the pic!

*heads over to Twitter*

Okay, this is from http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/12/the-spoilertv-daily-news-roundup_20.html:

Girl Meets World - Episode 1.18 - Girl Meets Master Plan - Synopsis

Friday, January 16

Original Series - Episode Premiere

Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Master Plan"

(8:30 PM - 9:00 PM ET/PT)

Maya is celebrating her 14th birthday with Riley and the Matthews but is struggling with the fact that her mom probably won't be able to join them. Meanwhile, Corey and Riley devise a plan to setup Maya's mom with Shawn when he pays a visit.

Guest Starring Rider Strong as Shawn Hunter

Maya will be 14???  Even if this episode is set in May (which is unlikely), it's a year to old for a 7th grader, and they have established that the students started this season in 7th grade.  Furthermore, they have stated that Riley's birthday is December 8th ("Home for the Holidays"), which means she just turned 13, as she was definitely 12 at the start of the series.  So long-time(?) best friends Maya and Riley are almost a year apart in age?

Another scary thought is that they have SORASed* the kids already, meaning this year covered both 7th and 8th grade.  It would explain both Maya's age and the face that the class is graduating - I mean, it seems like middle schools usually end in 6th or 8th grade, not 7th.  This post is from Weasley Fan on the Home for the Holidays thread:

I think Josh is in 10th grade,and the show said Maya is in 7th grade. According to the GMW writers on twitter, Josh is three years older than Maya. He will be a senior in high school when Maya is a freshman in high school.

Okay, on Home for the Holidays they implied that Josh was 16 by having him with the car keys.  (That would also be a SORAS, since Josh's original birth date of Valentine's Day 1999 is well-established from the original series.)  So I'm either thinking that Josh is now in 11th grade and Maya/Riley in 8th grade or that they are keeping Maya and Riley in 7th grade but making Maya a year older for a possible Maya-Josh ship (ugh).

Keep in mind that Michael Jacobs has no problems with SORASing characters: on BMW, he had Cory, Topanga and Shawn skip two grades (and two years in age) while keeping Eric at the same age.

* SORAS stands for Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_opera_rapid_aging_syndrome

I could see this being revisionist history, as you say, but I also think that there may be a rationale in there to support their storyline that despite being smart as a whip, that she's somehow been academically troubled enough to be left back at some point.

Which I dunno... I can see them doing this dramatically, but at the same time I know that New York City Schools have bucked the general national trend to hold more kids back a grade (apparently it's been tied to getting really low standardized testing scores in 3rd grade--leading to a lot of states, New York excluded, leaving more and more kids back).

They also could have the story be that her mother started her a year late for some reason.  I get the impression we're supposed to see her mother as kind of flaky, so maybe she just didn't have it all together when it came to "oh, my kid is school age now," and didn't get around to enrolling her until a year too late. 

They also could have the story be that her mother started her a year late for some reason.  I get the impression we're supposed to see her mother as kind of flaky, so maybe she just didn't have it all together when it came to "oh, my kid is school age now," and didn't get around to enrolling her until a year too late. 

If it was a full year though wouldn't more schools simply insert the kid at the first grade level instead of into Kindergarten?  I mean there isn't really a strict classwide curriculum per se at that age--the lesson plans are all kind of by "feel" based on the abilities of the individual kids anyway.

Ah hell, why are we trying to make sense of the back-story of a Disney show?  

If it was a full year though wouldn't more schools simply insert the kid at the first grade level instead of into Kindergarten?  I mean there isn't really a strict classwide curriculum per se at that age--the lesson plans are all kind of by "feel" based on the abilities of the individual kids anyway.

Ah hell, why are we trying to make sense of the back-story of a Disney show?  

I think they would probably go on a case by case basis.  If she had no preschool at all, I could see the thought being to start her in kindergarten.  

But, like you said, Disney show back-story.  We've probably already given it more thought than they have. 

Overall, I think the show is doing a pretty good job of bringing BMW and it's framework (ages of characters, relationships between characters, etc) into GMW. Corey and Topanga being the parents of a 7th grader feels like a fudge and the idea of Josh/Maya also seems like it requires some suspension of disbelief, but oh well, nothing is perfect. It's not like they concluded the BMW series with the idea they were laying the groundwork for a future GMW. So, there's some stuff they have to take liberty with. No harm done.

• Love 2

Yes, GMW is a Disney show but we're all talking about it because it's the sequel to a beloved network show, with the same showrunner as the original series.  My main issue is with the year's difference between Maya and Riley, which I hope they will just forget about.

What is the school year age cut off in New York? Where I live, it's December 31. My DS has a November birthday and is one of the youngest in his class - several of his friends have January birthdays so that makes them 10 or more months older than him even though they are in the same grade. So Riley turning 13 in December and her best friend turning 14 early in the New Year wouldn't be unusual here.

What is the school year age cut off in New York? Where I live, it's December 31. My DS has a November birthday and is one of the youngest in his class - several of his friends have January birthdays so that makes them 10 or more months older than him even though they are in the same grade. So Riley turning 13 in December and her best friend turning 14 early in the New Year wouldn't be unusual here.

I also live in NYS and think that must have changed since I have a cousin who is the same age as me. His birthday is December 13th; mine is September 18th. But I started school "on time" and graduated on schedule. He never failed a grade, but he was a grade level behind me and graduated the following year. So I think the cutoff had to be December 1st at some point...

Maya can't stand doing homework, and she has an absentee mother. Is it really hard to believe she got held back?

In any event, trying to figure out continuity has been a headache since the original show, so I don't expect different here. LOL

Corey and Topanga being the parents of a 7th grader feels like a fudge and the idea of Josh/Maya also seems like it requires some suspension of disbelief, but oh well, nothing is perfect.

It never really bothered me- the show went off the air in spring 2000, and Cory and Topanga had a baby in late 2001. I completely buy that- at that point they were like 2 years into their marriage, and I imagine they worked out an arrangement so they could do be parents and pursue their professions. It also fits in with the fact that they waited 8 years to have their next kid- they had to wait until they could handle 2 kids.

It would have been harder with them having a 15-year old son as originally planned, but that got dropped.

Peyton is probably a nice guy, but man, I seriously bet the producers have to be kicking themselves that didn't cast Uriah as Lucas. I mean, if they weren't going to cast a guy that really looked 12 anyway, they should have just gone for the 17-year old.

Edited by methodwriter85

at that point they were like 2 years into their marriage, and I imagine they worked out an arrangement so they could do be parents and pursue their professions. It also fits in with the fact that they waited 8 years to have their next kid- they had to wait until they could handle 2 kids.

Plus, lets face it, NO Birth Control is 100% effective.  I was fanwanking that Riley was not planned but they were married and decided to make the best of the situation. Auggie was planned.