Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And somehow Josh ends up being the most ethical person at Stevens & Lido? Not that he had much competition, but still. 

I think that Josh has pretty consistently been the least awful of the work regulars (though that isn't saying much).

• Love 6
On 1/29/2020 at 2:11 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

When Dre said how Junior and Zoey were so different from Diane & Jack with regard to going out into the world on their own, I wondered if he had forgotten how Junior was clearly scared to attend college since it meant being away from home. 

I didn't actually think the twins were afraid to go places alone. I just think they are extremely lazy. 

Right, like the show wants us to forget WHY Junior ran away from school after just his first 24 hours. Junior is afraid to really go out and do something that could mean he WOULD do great in his life. Instead of waiting for some special break to set him for life. Zoey took her "college freedom" too to heart and got herself screwed. Jack and Diane are just lazy or Jack can't be written to be either: "stupid, just naive or lazy." PICK ONE!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Marley said:

With every episode I hate the Junior character more and more.

HE was better depicted on Grown-ish. You think that clue TPTB and ship him over there because either Bow acts like he wants Junior to just die or you want to beat the guy with: "What the hell is wrong with you?"

• Love 1

Aww glad that Josh has some friends outside of work, and his talk with Junior was really good. Josh can be rather out of touch, but he means really well. 

Isn't this just kind of a variation of that episode where Jack and Diane didnt want to go to Dres home neighborhood because they thought it was scary? It didnt seem like they were scared to go explore, more like they were lazy and didnt want to get up and put their phones down. I did laugh at Bow obsessively tracking the twins whereabouts, mainly because that was totally how my mom was (and continues to be, despite my being an adult) when I was growing up, and if we had the tech at the time to tracks kids, I know thats exactly what she would be doing. Bow and Dre have two modes with their kids: Obsessive and controlling or distant and neglectful. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Aww glad that Josh has some friends outside of work, and his talk with Junior was really good. Josh can be rather out of touch, but he means really well. 

Isn't this just kind of a variation of that episode where Jack and Diane didnt want to go to Dres home neighborhood because they thought it was scary? It didnt seem like they were scared to go explore, more like they were lazy and didnt want to get up and put their phones down. I did laugh at Bow obsessively tracking the twins whereabouts, mainly because that was totally how my mom was (and continues to be, despite my being an adult) when I was growing up, and if we had the tech at the time to tracks kids, I know thats exactly what she would be doing. Bow and Dre have two modes with their kids: Obsessive and controlling or distant and neglectful. 

Yeah, no clue where Devante was during all that.

• Love 1

S6.E15: The Gauntlet

Dre thought he was the best gift-giver, but Bow tells him she prefers meaningful gifts over expensive ones, so he does his best to get her something she'll love on Valentine's Day. Meanwhile, Ruby teaches Jack how to get a girl after she hears about his love troubles, but her antiquated ways don't help.

Original air date: 2/11/20

On 2/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, LadyintheLoop said:

Wow, a Devante sighting! And Bow even remembers him when he's out of her sight!

Nice to see that Ruby's really quit undermining the marriage.

If Junior can't come up with a better name he deserves to remain "Dre's kid" forever.

Noticed that they are actually trying to apologize for creating the character when they never had any plans or the fact they are still on the air. Something about throwing a new kid into a show, just because the creator of the show had the same thing happened to them. Unless, they are perfectly recording that life, babies don't do what directors and actors want to. Plus, you add in the fact, I think critics and viewers finally said: "Why the hell did you even do it if you don't WANT to do anything with the character. 

• Love 4

So did Dre never give Bow anything but jewelry? Of course that got old.

Loved that hot pink sweater Bow had on when she told Dre he was a bad gift-giver.

"Master Pastor" magazine? Yikes. But I bet something similar actually exists. 😑

Ruby did not insinuate to Diane and Jack that Bow was a chickenhead. She did not. I'm thinking that crossed a line even for Ruby. 😯

Raspberry compote boy.

Diane was not born yet when the Thomas hearings happened so that seemed like an odd reference for her to make. Trying too hard there, writer(s).

Of course Jack failed at being a player. Diane is the one who's best suited to run game. She has no heart.

Aw, Charlie set Junior up to fail with that pants ad. Not nice, Charlie! Hopefully Junior learned a lesson about trusting his instincts. 🙄

All those For Life commercials were distracting for me. The lead actor's American accent is not solid, IMO.

• Love 1

Episode 16:

"Friendgame"

Bow is heartbroken to learn that Diane is no longer friends with Sophie; Dre discovers a hole in the wall that Junior and Jack were hiding and forces them to fix their own expensive mistake.

Airs February 18, 2020.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Ruby did not insinuate to Diane and Jack that Bow was a chickenhead. She did not. I'm thinking that crossed a line even for Ruby. 😯

Didn't she, though?  I thought she paused a little too long before she denied it when Diane questioned it, but maybe I misinterpreted.  At least she has plausible deniability 🙂

Or now that I reread your comment, maybe you're saying "She did not" in the sense of "She did NOT just do that?!"  In which case, I'm not even sure that crossed a "Ruby" line.  You need binoculars to see that line.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

shallow end of the pool here....I HATE when Bow wears her head in that high bun with the curled under bangs.  It looks awful - and Lucy Riccardo couldn't pull it off either.  The high bun WITHOUT that bang is fine. 

I'm just trying to figure out who Tracee Ellis Ross pissed off in the wardrobe department. I've noticed a few times she's been put in some crazy high waisted pants that just aren't flattering at all. And tonight she got some sort of blouse straight out of 1890 in one scene and the super unflattering pants in another. I'm sorry, those pants made her ass look a mile wide. Yes, she's a curvy woman, but that outfit she wore to patch things up with the other mom made her look 3 times her size. 

• Love 11

And tonight she got some sort of blouse straight out of 1890 in one scene[.]

You mean the pastel Victorian top with the Elizabethan ruff and the tie hanging off it for no reason? That thing was heinous. 

Well, Ruby remembered Devante, and Diane knows her mom has five children. That's progress.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I can't lie: when Dre voiced-over "Fact: being a teenager is dumb," I died. "Look at this one trying to close the deal in his grandfather's fishing vest." I also laughed when Bow knew everything about her ex-best-friend.

6 hours ago, Superclam said:

Seriously, I'm not any kind of fashion expert or fancy dresser, but that blouse was awful. Either Queen Elizabeth I or frilled gecko, take your pick. And those brown pants were doing her no favors. 

That outfit was horrible! Those pants added 20 pounds. Tracee's IG is full of her looking gorgeous; I don't know if she pissed off the stylists on the show or what.

• Love 9

I loved this episode. As one who was dumped by my best friend literally the 1st day of 9th grade (yes, you, Julia H!) and going through this with Ship Daughter twice in HER high school years, I'm glad to see this universal story told. Girls are just freakin mean.

I was expecting a twist to be that Diane actually dumped Sophie, not the other way around. Seems like her personality.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Empress1 said:

That outfit was horrible! Those pants added 20 pounds. Tracee's IG is full of her looking gorgeous; I don't know if she pissed off the stylists on the show or what.

Tracee is so lovely I don't know why they insist on making her look dumpy, she's not. 

• Love 10
On 2/19/2020 at 12:00 AM, Fostersmom said:

I'm just trying to figure out who Tracee Ellis Ross pissed off in the wardrobe department. I've noticed a few times she's been put in some crazy high waisted pants that just aren't flattering at all. And tonight she got some sort of blouse straight out of 1890 in one scene and the super unflattering pants in another. I'm sorry, those pants made her ass look a mile wide. Yes, she's a curvy woman, but that outfit she wore to patch things up with the other mom made her look 3 times her size. 

She looked like a clown.

• Love 3

I loved when Dre asked if Bow even knew what happened to (whatever her friends who dumped her name was)..and she launched into her reply. Obviously she had been stalking her online and it was SO true to life! There were times I didn't dislike the grown up Bow in this episode. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Teachers have a special bathroom for number twos. Who knew? 🙄

Does "dating" your stuffed animals mean, well, something a bit more intimate? How would little kids even know about that? Pre-pubescent ones, anyway.

I was distracted by Junior's DISCO hoodie and kept wondering if it was in reference to the Star Trek show. But that's a CBS production. 🤔

Dehydrated.

Of course Diane went back for payback. That's our Diane! She's got the cure for excessive dryness. 🤗

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Episode 17:

"You Don't Know Jack"

Jack joins the robotics club and Dre worries it might be a detrimental failure for him after already being cut from the basketball team. Ruby embellishes a story for Diane's school project.

Airs February 25, 2020.

I was afraid that the friend who bumped Bow would be one of her friends from Mixed-ish, glad that it was some rando who didnt appreciate Bows friendship bracelets! Her still stalking the girl who friend dumped her in junior high was so hilariously real. 

Losing a friendship really sucks, so I totally get Diane being so devastated. But of course she got her revenge and "ended it on her terms." 

• Love 2

I'm becoming increasingly tired of Home Dre (Work Dre is usually fine with me), and was incredibly annoyed that he threw the game remote at the wall like a toddler having a tantrum, then went on that self-righteous "How dare you damage the wall?" vendetta.  His throwing the remote at the wall would likely have chipped the paint or dented the drywall (if there hadn't already been a hole there) and/or broken the expensive remote.  He would have just paid money to fix any damage (without changing his tantrum-y ways), but he wants the boys to Learn a Lesson.  Ugh.  🙄

• Love 2

Overall I thought it was a decent episode.  I was just bothered by Dre's obvious favoritism to Jack.  He was so dismissive of Junior's "nerdy" interests in high school.  All through the episode I kept on thinking that maybe Junior wouldn't of dropped out if he got one tenth of the support that Jack gets. 

On a shallow note, I want to go back in time and be able to pull off Diane's jumpsuit with the cute belt!  I never dressed that cute back in the day (looks at current outfit) or now. 

• Love 8

Yeah of course Dre is cool with Jack doing robotics, but whenever Junior did anything remotely "geeky" he acted like Junior was the biggest failure to ever fail. I guess its because Dre figures that he can get more out of Jack if Jack makes it big than Junior being a fan of nerdy stuff. And maybe you shouldn't be a dick to random people Dre. Both because its rude, and because they could be important people and insulting them could possibly hurt your kids future. 

The Diane and Ruby plot was funny, I said right away that Diane should just cover Ruby and Pops divorce, that should take up way more than just a few pages single spaced! "My grandma told me that Obama was born in Kenya and now she doesent come to Thanksgiving." 

• Love 4

Joel McHale is getting around on TV this week. He was on Will & Grace too.

Mason is setting the "ya heard?" trend. You go, Mason! 🙄

I really like Diane's hair. She wears so many cute styles.

Robot food? Sigh, Dre stays being an idiot. 😑

Jack calls his robot "LBJ"? Oy. (Do people actually refer to LeBron James as LBJ?)

Ruby's not legally allowed in or around the ocean. That's pretty much everywhere on Earth, right? 😉

Heh, maybe Jack can build a robot that writes jingles and he can get a job at Stevens & Lido too.

Pssht, Lizzo ain't got nothing on Ruby.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2020 at 6:31 PM, tennisgurl said:

Yeah of course Dre is cool with Jack doing robotics, but whenever Junior did anything remotely "geeky" he acted like Junior was the biggest failure to ever fail. I guess its because Dre figures that he can get more out of Jack if Jack makes it big than Junior being a fan of nerdy stuff. And maybe you shouldn't be a dick to random people Dre. Both because its rude, and because they could be important people and insulting them could possibly hurt your kids future. 

The Diane and Ruby plot was funny, I said right away that Diane should just cover Ruby and Pops divorce, that should take up way more than just a few pages single spaced! "My grandma told me that Obama was born in Kenya and now she doesn't come to Thanksgiving." 

Problem with Junior's "nerdy" focuses he just came off as a moron when he did them. I mean he wanted to do green experiment and his plan was to constantly shower with Dre and even bringing some stupid things up when that happened. When Dre told him to get out and stop being like that. It made sense. Or Junior's thoughts on the "zombie apocalypses", being told that Demonte wanted this and going: "Demonte said that?" Everyone else even Pops have looked at Junior and gone: "What the hell is wrong with you?" 

Least with Jack, he does it in thinking way, even if Dre was being stupid on: "robot food" or something along those lines. The problem is, the writers keep flipping from: "Jack needs an aid to Jack is a genious." or with Junior it's: "He can take care of siblings, but he wants to run away from everything and then he magically wants to rush into the tidal wave." Depending on the story being good or not, explains how the characters should act. Hence, plot over character. 

• Love 1

S6.E18: Best Supporting Husband

Dre spirals when Rainbow is elected to the prestigious California Board of Medicine and the invitation for the annual fundraising gala is addressed to Dr. Rainbow Johnson and guest; Diane redecorates her room to impress Mason.

Original air date: 3/17/20

Dre showed his usual man baby colors in this episode. Typical of the kind of guy who claims he wants a strong, powerful, successful woman and then can't actually handle her success because it makes him feel less important when he isn't the center of her universe for like five seconds.

• Love 12

Bow looked amazing at the Gala and it was great to see her work the room with such skill. She's moved up a level for sure. Dre was a whiny pathetic child but Ruby (who has been pretty fabulous all season) set him straight. Hopefully it sticks.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I was mostly meh on this episode though I did like the developments between Diane and Mason. I also enjoyed Bow and Dre's Beyoncé and Jay-Z cosplay. Bow looked amazing!

Junior just doesn't know what to do with his life, but be a glorified babysitter. Ship him off to Grown-ish so he and Zoey can be siblings lost together.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, vibeology said:

Bow looked amazing at the Gala and it was great to see her work the room with such skill.

She did. That red dress was gorgeous and I loved her statement earrings.

Diane, go on and have a crush on that little boy Mason, he's cute.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, vibeology said:

Bow looked amazing at the Gala and it was great to see her work the room with such skill.

Loved, loved, loved her hair at the gala with the single long ponytail intertwined with fabric.  All her looks, from the Beyonce and Jay-Z to the Sonny and Cher, looked fabulous.  

• Love 12

Bow looked freaking amazing at the Gala! Finally they're giving her the fabulous outfits she deserves! Of course I have to be distracted from Bow working the room and being a star by Dre being his insecure man baby self, who is of course whiny and pissed that he isnt the center of attention at every damn thing ever, even at his wife's work stuff. Hopefully he took Ruby's words to heart and we can at least go a few weeks before he has to learn this lesson again. 

Diane and Mason are actually pretty cute, go figure. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Dre is really just so annoying. Why couldn't he talk with the other spouses? Maybe he'd have a good time if he wasn't always trying to be an asshole.

Exactly. And I'm sure that Bow has been to MANY of Dre's work events and had to talk to some of his ridiculous coworkers (and their spouses). Yet he couldn't manage to make polite small talk at a party because he wasn't getting enough attention and praise. He is SUCH a child.

I absolutely LOATHED when he tried to get Bow to leave the party with the promise of sex at the Four Seasons. Stop sabotaging your wife with your insecurity and your need to be the most important person in the room. Why is it so difficult to watch your spouse be awesome and just be proud of her? Why does this have to be about YOU?

• Love 13
On 3/19/2020 at 12:54 AM, possibilities said:

Dre is really just so annoying. Why couldn't he talk with the other spouses? Maybe he'd have a good time if he wasn't always trying to be an asshole.

And that was a room full of powerful people. There are so many networking opportunities for everyone in a room like that!

• Love 10
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:54 AM, possibilities said:

Seriously. That guy he met in line seemed like a perfect fine fellow. Why not become his friend and hang out at these events while both their spouses network with the other board members? If Dre had tried he could have found a new friend or a potential client .

• Love 12
17 hours ago, vibeology said:

Seriously. That guy he met in line seemed like a perfect fine fellow. Why not become his friend and hang out at these events while both their spouses network with the other board members? If Dre had tried he could have found a new friend or a potential client .

I know, I thought that's where they were going to go with it. Instead it turned into Dre once again making it about himself. 

• Love 2

I imagined Dre and the other black husband at the gala camping out at the bar, getting smashed and good-naturedly arguing Lakers v. Clippers. While letting their wives enjoy themselves.

but instead we get Dre pouting like an 8 year old. Writers really wasted an opportunity

• Love 8