Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Impact

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Danger is ever-present as the officers of the Mid-Wilshire precinct grapple with the aftermath of a plotted attack on the city of Los Angeles, leaving Officer Bradford fighting for his life. Flash forward two weeks and the rookies receive the shocking results of their latest training exam, leaving one officer questioning what the future holds. Meanwhile, tension develops at home as Nolan and Lopez advance in their relationships with Jessica and Wesley.

To air on September 29, 2019

Danger is ever-present as the officers of the Mid-Wilshire precinct grapple with the aftermath of a plotted attack on the city of Los Angeles, leaving Officer Bradford fighting for his life...

For all of 1 minute into the episode.  *eyeroll  Fast recovery for a dude who just had a seizure in the ambulance. WTF.

I'm still ticked that Afton (Bishop) had to leave. I've read that the actor (Demetrius Grosse) who'd been accused of sexual harassment toward Afton has been cleared of all charges, but so much goes into covering up bullshit like that, that I'm doubtful her complaints were given enough credence. Especially when they say "no one acted in an unlawful manner or demonstrate[d] behavior inappropriate for the workplace." That is such a subjective thing to decide. They may have dismissed something that was indeed very inappropriate and uncomfortable to her. No one should have to put up with that.

The show will be the poorer for it, without her character. And the way they had to just write her off with a dismissive one-liner was disappointing.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 11

At some point, Nolan is going to need a TO, who I assume will come out of nowhere, since we never see any other officers on the show. Sarah Shahi is starting to become tacked on, which is why it looks like they're getting broken up this season.

The most hilarious part to me is that they are trying to employ Nolan's super contractor powers, like the crawlspace thing or the fact he is now remodeling some dump instead of living in his friend's pool house. If this show makes it to season 3, I'm not sure where the "Rookie" part will be, except maybe West.

Wouldn’t Lucy’s body cam have caught the license plate of the car?

The car where the radio thief escaped to? There was no plate on the back of the car as it drove away. (I was wondering that too, or wondering if she could at least memorize the plate, until I saw the back of it as it drove off.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I liked it.  Didn't miss Bishop as much as I thought I would.  They still can't hit the side of a barn.  Nathan lost a LOT of weight - good for him.   It held my attention - it was a pretty good premiere episode.

• Love 7

I hate this time slot.

Nathan lost some weight.

They didn't waste any time starting out with some bullshit. Bradford suddenly recovers and dramatically jumps out just in time to shoot the female terminator. Is she the 3rd terrorist or someone else? Why was she waiting at the hospital or who was her target?

So the ATF is cool with Bishop's lying about her brother but the LAPD has higher standards and she had to leave? OK!

I hope Grey isn't Nolan's permanent TO.

Nolan ran out of bullets. Impossible! Bullets are endless on tv.

Bradford continues to be irresponsible by planting the smoke bomb in the trash in a park. Now Chen had to waste time to shower and change while on duty. Him holding a grudge on Chen after all they been through is poor. He can talk without being an ass.

West's ego took it hard with grade. 

DHS instantly clears Jessica of the shooting. Did they interview Nolan for his account? I wonder if he lied.

Does Jessica have anywhere else to be instead of hanging around LAPD and interrupting briefings? She is starting to be annoying. 

Why wasn't Nolan's TO Grey riding with him instead of Jessica?

Nolan has all that strength to throw a man that size out of the window? 

Didn't care for Lopez domestic life.

Those criminals went through a lot just to rob a truck. What a waste of effort. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I hate this time slot.

Nathan lost some weight.

They didn't waste any time starting out with some bullshit. Bradford suddenly recovers and dramatically jumps out just in time to shoot the female terminator. Is she the 3rd terrorist or someone else? Why was she waiting at the hospital or who was her target?

So the ATF is cool with Bishop's lying about her brother but the LAPD has higher standards and she had to leave? OK!

I hope Grey isn't Nolan's permanent TO.

Bradford continues to be irresponsible by planting the smoke bomb in the trash in a park. Now Chen had to waste time to shower and change while on duty. Him holding a grudge on Chen after all they been through is poor. He can talk without being an ass.

West's ego took it hard with grade. 

DHS instantly clears Jessica of the shooting. Did they interview Nolan for his account? I wonder if he lied.

Does Jessica have anywhere else to be instead of hanging around LAPD and interrupting briefings? She is starting to be annoying. 

Why wasn't Nolan's TO Grey riding with him instead of Jessica?

Nolan has all that strength to throw a man that size out of the window? 

Didn't care for Lopez domestic life.

Those criminals went through a lot just to rob a truck. What a waste of effort. 

the truck was carrying three? months worth of evidence to be destroyed, that includes drugs, guns, and money, quite a potential windfall.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

the truck was carrying three? months worth of evidence to be destroyed, that includes drugs, guns, and money, quite a potential windfall.

I understand. But it seemed they went through a lot to get to this point. Kidnapping, stealing unforms,  stealing cars,  breaking into LAPD to get radio and murdering one of their own.The risk for them got bigger everytime they made a move. And they had to figure the LAPD would change radio channels and tatics. 

And they left the woman's car on the street. They didn't think a missing persons report would be placed on her.

Poor Nolan he opens to Jessica  about the job and she responds correctly with an invite for sex. 

• Love 1

What was the point of the lady at the hospital with an assault rifle? To prove that women can be lunatic mass shooters as well?

Why did the fake cops have to steal a radio from the police station? They had already stolen 2 police cars, they should have more than enough police gear. You would think that the police would lock their vehicles.

• Love 4

I missed Talia/Afton.  They killed off one detective, I hope the remaining one is moved to another station.

That was some epi-pen Bradford got stuck with.

The new house was a good idea. And I like they are spending more time on the home lives of the characters.  I may even get to like the lawyer.

Leaving the hostage's car on the street was dumb. Some people even put cars in garages.  And that construction site was badly fenced. Building inspectors should be chatting with the contractor.

NF looks to be down to Firefly weight. But more muscle.

Girl terrorist made me think of Patricia Hearst. I am very old.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Did anyone else think they were testing West? That he really got a high score but wanted to find out how he reacted to something like this? When he got called into Grey's office at the end, I was sure he was going to tell him he got like 100 on the test, but since West placed such a high importance on test scores, they thought maybe it would throw him off his game. I don't know. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was his actual score, and he had to go back to training. I think he was right and that he'd gotten overconfident.

Looks like they're going to be tanking the Shahi relationship already. We'll see.

It was funny that Nathan lost all that weight, but the ambulance scene was supposed to be right afterward. It's really noticeable.

I thought Bradford was being an ass to Chen because she'd sent food over and that maybe she was seeing him as weak and getting too comfortable with him, so he wanted to assert his power again. 

I liked the Lopez stuff. That she's so good on the job, so when she gets home, she doesn't want to care about doing everything right. 

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

What was the point of the lady at the hospital with an assault rifle? To prove that women can be lunatic mass shooters as well?

Why did the fake cops have to steal a radio from the police station? They had already stolen 2 police cars, they should have more than enough police gear. You would think that the police would lock their vehicles.

Do we know they stole police cars? They could have just painted regular cars and modified the lights. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, ketose said:

Do we know they stole police cars? They could have just painted regular cars and modified the lights. 

Painting cars doesn't seem to be part of the skill set of this group of criminals, heh. 
But, yeah, painting cars and using costume-shop uniforms might've been a smarter plan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow. I’ve never seen NF so thin. I’m glad for him so long as it’s a sign of good health. Any big weight change scares me.

I figure he, or someone close to him, was reading this or other forums and saw all the shade being thrown about his weight.

9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

She probably didn't lie on the ATF application. 😉

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Painting cars doesn't seem to be part of the skill set of this group of criminals, heh. 
But, yeah, painting cars and using costume-shop uniforms might've been a smarter plan.

Talking about skill sets, to steal a modern FOB equipped and lojacked car, a police vehicle at that, has to be at the James Bond level .

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

"AR-15," shouts Lopez, as the terrorist woman fires a weapon that is clearly NOT an AR-15... Glad they were able to get their leftist hollywood political bias bullshit out of the way so early in the episode!

I'm still ticked that Afton (Bishop) had to leave.

Didn't miss her for one second. Guess the script didn't give me any chance to think about her absence.

I'm doubtful her complaints were given enough credence.

I have no reason to think the investigation was not carried out properly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

"AR-15," shouts Lopez, as the terrorist woman fires a weapon that is clearly NOT an AR-15... Glad they were able to get their leftist hollywood political bias bullshit out of the way so early in the episode!

Didn't miss her for one second. Guess the script didn't give me any chance to think about her absence.

I have no reason to think the investigation was not carried out properly.

I think AR-15 became the culture's short hand. Advocates of a particular breed of dog make the same complaint  when people describe a dog that is similar but not an exact DNA match to their breed.

7 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

It wouldn't come up in a (ATF) background check? 

In the last Snowfall episode fantasy sequence a CIA recruiter said we are not looking for perfect people. The trivial nature of not thinking that the love of one of many foster brothers might come back one day seems trivial and something to write off  for someone getting ready to go undercover with gun smugglers.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Advocates of a particular breed of dog make the same complaint  when people describe a dog that is similar but not an exact DNA match to their breed.

And so they should, if the dog is described as a CAT.

• LOL 5
30 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

15 minutes ago, Raja said:

think AR-15 became the culture's short hand. Advocates of a particular breed of dog make the same complaint  when people describe a dog that is similar but not an exact DNA match to their breed.

Maybe “AR-15” a cop shorthand. Or should it have been “assault rifle!” or…? I’m only familiar with cops in cop shows yelling “Gun!” 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or should it have been “assault rifle!” or…?

Well, an AR-15 is not an "assault rifle", while the weapon we saw certainly looked like it was.  So, by yelling "AR-15!" she was misleading her colleagues into thinking the threat was less severe than it actually was. Sorta like when someone throws a grenade and you yell "Water balloon!"

But if your real goal is to discredit water balloons.....

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I figure he, or someone close to him, was reading this or other forums and saw all the shade being thrown about his weight.

She probably didn't lie on the ATF application. 😉

He has a role in the "Suicide Squad" movie.   He may have had to lose weight for the role.  

• Useful 2

The Cop/Lawyer scenes were clearly manufactured for TV drama. Who would take the time to neatly hang up all there T-shirts on hangers only to to take them all off and throw them all over the floor. How could she tell what was clean and what was dirty. It would have been better to show all her clothes crumpled up in a laundry basket, because that is about as far as she would have gotten. Then all that crying while she was cleaning.

Sarah Shahi seems to be abusing her power by forcing someone to talk to you when they really don't want to be around you then deflecting any real conversation with an offer of sex.

I am not really feeling the way these two women are being portrayed.

• Love 5

My guess is that Sarah Shahi is being moved away from since CITY ON A HILL got picked up for a second season; I don't think her and Nolan have great chemistry and her presence at the station seems sort of forced/not believable. 

Besides the weight loss, Nolan was also seen in short sleeves in the opening shootout , bit of a continuity gaffe there. 

The grilled cheese in the shower was funny. 

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow. I’ve never seen NF so thin. I’m glad for him so long as it’s a sign of good health. Any big weight change scares me.

I think it fits with the story though. It makes sense that the character would be motivated to get into shape/better shape.

12 hours ago, mxc90 said:

They run out when it fits the story 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, break21 said:

Ratings were good. - matched last year's finale in a tougher time-slot.  TV Grim Reaper has it early as a "likely renewal".  Apparently the off-season mess didn't hurt the show.

A night change AND being up against a 15 million football audience didn't hurt it either. TR has a dedicated fan base. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

It wouldn't come up in a background check? 

I was joking just a little, but seriously, if she told the truth including the fact that she had lied on her police application then the ATF would still have considered her and probably hired her.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

In the last Snowfall episode fantasy sequence a CIA recruiter said we are not looking for perfect people. The trivial nature of not thinking that the love of one of many foster brothers might come back one day seems trivial and something to write off  for someone getting ready to go undercover with gun smugglers.

this is what I was told, in real life by members of our Police department, with whom I work.

• Love 2

Officer Bradford didn't have to fight for his life for very long, now did he? 

That domestic strife regarding the cleanliness of the apartment was just ridiculous.  She left half a grilled cheese sandwich left in the shower, and Lopez just shrugged and finished it off.  That was a major "Ewwwww" moment for me.  There's no way she thinks that is normal and not worthy of her boyfriend's disgust.  That's a whole level beyond laundry strewn around the room and tubes of makeup littering the counter.  That's approaching hoarder territory...

Other than that, I really miss Bishop,, and while I like the actress, I don't care for the cavalier attitude of the character, so Jessica can go.  Plus, I can't figure out why she's just hanging around (other than horndogging on Nolan, but they're together now, so she doesn't need to "bump" into him to see him) and why the department is allowing her to just run things, and co-opt Nolan's time.

I do like that Nolan is refurbing his own house--which is so, so 1970s atrocious.  I figure he wore out the welcome of even his most tolerant friend, what with all the shootouts and blood in the guest house...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, break21 said:

Ratings were good. - matched last year's finale in a tougher time-slot.  TV Grim Reaper has it early as a "likely renewal".  Apparently the off-season mess didn't hurt the show.

I just tuned back in to see if I wanted to keep watching the stories seem to be fluffy, pointless, and not well written.

24 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I do like that Nolan is refurbing his own house--which is so, so 1970s atrocious.  I figure he wore out the welcome of even his most tolerant friend, what with all the shootouts and blood in the guest house...

The police department told Nolan to get his own place because living rent free in somebody's house might be mistaken for/viewed as taking a bribe or favoritism.

24 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I just tuned back in to see if I wanted to keep watching the stories seem to be fluffy, pointless, and not well written.

The police department told Nolan to get his own place because living rent free in somebody's house might be mistaken for/viewed as taking a bribe or favoritism.

I've been plenty critical of the show in the past, but I liked it last night.  It moved, I wasn't bored.   I think 911 and The Rookie do the best job of keeping things moving (even at the expense of reality at times).  As much as I loved Castle, there were a lot of episodes I fell asleep watching - way too much talk and not much action.  

• Love 3
Just now, break21 said:

As much as I loved Castle, there were a lot of episodes I fell asleep watching - way too much talk and not much action.

I am not sure how effective it will be to have a woman with an assault rifle show up for no reason every time the writers think the viewers might be nodding off.

• LOL 4
6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure how effective it will be to have a woman with an assault rifle show up for no reason every time the writers think the viewers might be nodding off.

I think they used it as a plot device to show how tormented Nolan is about killing someone.  It does always amuse me what bad shots they are as a whole.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, break21 said:

I think they used it as a plot device to show how tormented Nolan is about killing someone.  It does always amuse me what bad shots they are as a whole.

Although missing all the police, she took out a large number of the medical staff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Although missing all the police, she took out a large number of the medical staff.

The old trope that a terrorist's Plan B is always to kill the officers who foiled their primary plot. 

Just now, Raja said:

The old trope that a terrorist's Plan B is always to kill the officers who foiled their primary plot. 

What clues did they give that she was one of the terrorists, I just assumed that they just forgot about that plot line. How did she beat the police/ambulance with full sirens to the hospital.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

What clues did they give that she was one of the terrorists, I just assumed that they just forgot about that plot line. How did she beat the police/ambulance with full sirens to the hospital.

Wasn't a radio voice over as we got a shot of the ambulance rushing to the ER that another terrorist was unaccounted for?

• Love 2

So I said I wasn't going to watch, but nothing else was on, and I wanted to see what happened with Tim...

Thanks, show, for reminding me just how stupid you are. Next week I'll just go to bed.

In a long list of stupid actions and contrivances this episode, I'll focus on the one that no one seems to have brought up yet-- why were Tim and Lucy both convinced Lucy got the 81??? I get why everyone thought Jackson had the high score (though I'm not sure if Jackson fully realized that everyone else thought it because of who his father was, whereas he just seemed to think he's good at tests), but Grey said each rookie guessed wrong as to their score... clearly Lucy didn't pick herself for the 97 since she seemed certain it was Jackson (as seen by her apology to Nolan when it was revealed she had scored second highest, as she automatically assumed he must be last...), and Tim also seemed convinced she was the 81 (I could see her needling Lucy regardless of what he thought, but he also said as much to Angela, and had the shirt printed). That seemed out of character for both of them to be so lacking in confidence and assume Nolan was better than her.

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't think the department had a problem with it, Nolan did. He made a big deal about not even taking a free coffee from a diner. And West admitted to eating a bite of creme brulee on a lie detector test in that episode.

1 hour ago, ketose said:

I don't think the department had a problem with it, Nolan did. He made a big deal about not even taking a free coffee from a diner. And West admitted to eating a bite of creme brulee on a lie detector test in that episode.

I don’t think it had anything to do with him living for free with Ben. I think Nolan just missed construction and working with his hands. He said it himself in that disaster of a house, that he hadn’t felt more like himself until then since he packed up his truck and joined the LAPD. 

• Useful 2

I don't think Jessica was joking when she admitted to keeping tabs on a sophomore at USC who at the the age of 9 in 2008 took a school bus. Nolan should be terrified, she maybe luny!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

In a long list of stupid actions and contrivances this episode, I'll focus on the one that no one seems to have brought up yet-- why were Tim and Lucy both convinced Lucy got the 81???

I believe Lucy stated that both she and Nolan thought they got the 91, so I don't know if anyone picked themselves as the 81. Both thought West got the 97, and I'm assuming West also thought he got the 97. 

I don't think Tim thought she got the 81. I think he was scared that if she got such a low score, it would be a poor reflection on him. He's been having some doubts in himself and had recently been in a weakened condition, which is I think why he went so hard on Lucy, asserting his dominance, and that it didn't have as much to do with what she left off the report. Because as she pointed out, he didn't mind it so much when she left out how much he did to protect his wife.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ketose said:

Since I didn't keep much track of the controversy, I assumed (falsely) that the actor playing his friend was the one involved, so that's why they changed it up.

I hope he puts in doors and windows with good locks, this time. 😉