Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Impact

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I think that Tim doesn't like to appear weak.  So for him, getting dosed with a virus, then fainting upon release, in front of his rookie was a bit more than he could take.  Plus, in the ambulance, while the medics were giving him an Epi-pen or whatever shot that was, Lucy dove over Tim to protect him from the hail of bullets outside.  And Tim couldn't stand the fact that Lucy was "rescuing" him.  So of course, he had to jump out of the ambulance gun's blazing.  That's strength! not weakness!  Or something.  You'll notice the scene cut from there, so we are left to assume what we like about what happened to Tim after he hit the terrorist lady.  From there, Tim would have needed to prove his dominance and strength, by going after Lucy for round two. 

Personally, I think he goes about training all wrong.  But he is teaching Lucy valuable lessons that she needs to be a decent police officer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Since I didn't keep much track of the controversy, I assumed (falsely) that the actor playing his friend was the one involved, so that's why they changed it up.

Currie Graham played Nolan's friend. He was not the actor named by AW in her complaint.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I believe Lucy stated that both she and Nolan thought they got the 91, so I don't know if anyone picked themselves as the 81.

Grey said all three rookies guessed incorrectly as to their own score, which would imply she thought she got the 81, since she seemed pretty certain about Jackson scoring highest.

1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Grey said all three rookies guessed incorrectly as to their own score, which would imply she thought she got the 81, since she seemed pretty certain about Jackson scoring highest.

Sweet tooth is right. They actually said that both Nolan and Lucy thought they got the 91.

Just now, BlakesMomma said:

Sweet tooth is right. They actually said that both Nolan and Lucy thought they got the 91.

Quoting myself lol. Never mind, I’m wrong. 😬

• Love 1

If Nolan and Lucy thought they got the 91...

And if all three rookies guessed incorrectly as to their own score...

Then, neither Nolan nor Lucy got 91, so that must have been Jackson's score.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

If Nolan and Lucy thought they got the 91...

And if all three rookies guessed incorrectly as to their own score...

Then, neither Nolan nor Lucy got 91, so that must have been Jackson's score.

In my head, I am justifying all of this by saying that Lucy wrote down that she got the bottom score, but told Nolan and Jackson that she thought she had the middle score.

• Love 1

I don't really see the issue with barely passing, either you passed or you didn't. Its not like in school where you had different grades and GPA counted.

Honestly I don't see Jackson who is a walking encyclopedia screwing up the written test other then maybe choking on the oral part.

• Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 7:50 AM, kirkola said:

.  From there, Tim would have needed to prove his dominance and strength, by going after Lucy for round two. 

Personally, I think he goes about training all wrong.  But he is teaching Lucy valuable lessons that she needs to be a decent police officer. 

What is the significance of long sleeves versus short sleeves? Is that the police equivalent of putting on your big-boy pants?

46 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

What is the significance of long sleeves versus short sleeves? Is that the police equivalent of putting on your big-boy pants?

By real life tradition the probationary officers "Boots" in the LAPD do not get to wear short sleeves. Over on Southland they had an Iraq vet "boot" just up and start wearing short sleeves. As I remember he was like Officer West in the first few episodes and froze when fighting started. Meanwhile because of the no visible tattoos policy we are seeing more senior officers in long sleeves year round, but they are starting to drop the necktie which is supposed to be worn with the long sleeve shirt. Hence Officer Bradford telling Officer Chin with the tie when he ordered her back into long sleeves.

I think that the star didn't want to wear the long sleeves so they wrote in a fake early out halfway through his "boot" year for him alone.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, UnknownK said:

I don't really see the issue with barely passing, either you passed or you didn't. Its not like in school where you had different grades and GPA counted.

Honestly I don't see Jackson who is a walking encyclopedia screwing up the written test other then maybe choking on the oral part.

It's a silly premise.  Also, I think if he wasn't being treated equally, given that he passed the test, the police union would get involved.  But I am no cop nor do I play one on TV!

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, TWP said:

It's a silly premise.  Also, I think if he wasn't being treated equally, given that he passed the test, the police union would get involved.  But I am no cop nor do I play one on TV!

If I understood my online advisor from the Southland forum correctly a LAPD Boot has to pass probation before the union can really do anything for him

After the sergeant said all boots could now wear short sleeves, I was surprised that he didn't ask Chen why she was still in long sleeves. Or is he used to her TO making up his own rules?

• Love 1

I feel like the Tim tease was probably a last-minute rewrite. Since the premiere began minutes after the cliffhanger, they needed to be able to do a time-jump in order to write out Bishop's character. I really liked her so I'm disappointed and confused about everything that happened in real-life.

I have a feeling Tim is either realizing he has feelings for Chen or thinks that Chen has feelings for him, so is trying to push her back to arms' length.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:32 AM, crowceilidh said:

Jessica and Nolan are a mismatch and have been from the gitgo so far as I am concerned.

Agreed. I just plain never warmed up to the character. I really don't see what there is to like about her. Is Nolan supposedly so awed by her beauty and sexcapades that he would ignore all the red flags he keeps expressing about her?

• Love 2

I miss Bishop.  NF looks good, but it is funny that this drastic change occurred in an afternoon. 

I think it's good that Nolan has his own house, but I liked the friend who owned the nice house.  Also, even though Nolan's new place is a dump, based on the size of the few rooms that was saw, that place would still cost a million in LA. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

I miss Bishop.  NF looks good, but it is funny that this drastic change occurred in an afternoon. 

I think it's good that Nolan has his own house, but I liked the friend who owned the nice house.  Also, even though Nolan's new place is a dump, based on the size of the few rooms that was saw, that place would still cost a million in LA. 

Flip or Flop would buy bungalows in SoCal that looked like 800 sq. ft. toilets and sell them for three quarters of a million.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:09 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

Did anyone else think they were testing West? That he really got a high score but wanted to find out how he reacted to something like this? When he got called into Grey's office at the end, I was sure he was going to tell him he got like 100 on the test, but since West placed such a high importance on test scores, they thought maybe it would throw him off his game. I don't know. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was his actual score, and he had to go back to training. I think he was right and that he'd gotten overconfident.

Definitely agree, and I thought it was cruel. Actually,  releasing the scores and hazing the low scorer is cruel. Are the scores really public?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Definitely agree, and I thought it was cruel. Actually,  releasing the scores and hazing the low score is cruel. Are the scores really public?

I would take it a step further is a Chief's of Police oral exam halfway through the probationary period real?

On 9/29/2019 at 10:26 PM, sinkwriter said:

For all of 1 minute into the episode.  *eyeroll  Fast recovery for a dude who just had a seizure in the ambulance. WTF.

I'm still ticked that Afton (Bishop) had to leave. I've read that the actor (Demetrius Grosse) who'd been accused of sexual harassment toward Afton has been cleared of all charges, but so much goes into covering up bullshit like that, that I'm doubtful her complaints were given enough credence. Especially when they say "no one acted in an unlawful manner or demonstrate[d] behavior inappropriate for the workplace." That is such a subjective thing to decide. They may have dismissed something that was indeed very inappropriate and uncomfortable to her. No one should have to put up with that.

The show will be the poorer for it, without her character. And the way they had to just write her off with a dismissive one-liner was disappointing.

Wow, I’m watching this years later, and I was so sorry to see Bishop written off. I a e here in hopes of finding out why. This is terrible. 

• Sad 1