Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Quarter Finals 2

• Start Topic

• I think Gabrielle lost some buttons...
  • Charlotte Summers: Was the phrase "terrible terrible terrible" really necessary?
  • Nick & Lindsey: Johnny Cash you are not, my good sir. Simon should have saved his "terrible terrible terrible"... (that said, close your mouth, Julianne).
  • Starting to think this show is just one big advertisement for Dolby...
  • Jeez, the guys aren't liking the singers tonight. No opinion on the blind guy 'cuz I wasn't really listening.
  • Sentimentalists...wild card! Still nope...........................jeez how long is this?....................bored.............zzzzzzzzzzz.....😴
  • What the hell is Angel Delight, anyway? (Also, germaphobe Howie just gorging himself on random pastries throughout the act? Yeah, that doesn't seem staged at all.)
  • Ryan Niemiller: You can get a Fitbit pendant. Just sayin'.
  • V Unbeatable: So far the best act of the night. Then again, the bar was pretty low. That ring toss thing was pretty cool.
  • Howie's Golden Buzzer guy (forgot his name already): Really?
  • Light Balance Kids dancing skeletons was fun.
  • Oh...I forgot I had this post going...violin kid had cancer so we should vote for him, right? And the choir from South Africa and some gibberish from Julianne...
  • Did Howie really only say "only 7" once tonight?
  • Oh well, good night.
  • Love 5

That was underwhelming to downright awful.

I voted for V. Unbeatable, Light Balance Kids, and violin boy.

This season is really bad.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

This is one of the weakest episodes of AGT I've seen and that's saying something.

I usually roll my eyes when someone says this, because I find a general level of mediocrity across all the shows. 

Tonight? Totally, 100% agree that this is probably the worst episode I've seen. The weird part is the judges seemed to agree with me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
Just now, DietCokeJunkie said:

What in holy hell was that Ring of Fire act? It was so bizarre. I can’t believe a giant hook didn’t pull them off the stage. 

I'm usually of the opinion that they shouldn't get to buzz in the lives but I was wishing for them all to hit their buzzers in unison during that one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I usually roll my eyes when someone says this, because I find a general level of mediocrity across all the shows. 

Tonight? Totally, 100% agree that this is probably the worst episode I've seen. The weird part is the judges seemed to agree with me. 

Normally I take AGT with a grain of salt. It's meant to be campy and the show became a parody of itself several seasons ago (and subtly acknowledges it). It wasn't even funny ha ha awful. This was downright dreadful.

What were the producers thinking? This is why I only caught a few episodes of The World's Best.

They have freaking Terry Crews! Stop wasting Terry!

• Love 8

Worst Quarterfinals evah.  

I was so pleased to see The Sentimentalists on stage.  I thought they got jobbed by the Jidges Cuts.  This was a trainwreck, wrapped in a black hole of suckitude.  When Howie is truly the best aspect of your act?  Disgrace.

The literally HANDicapped comedian?  (See what I did!   I could write jokes for him!!!!!!)  He had a few humorous takes.  By this season's standards, he's the second coming of George Carlin.

Charlotte's opener was not horrid.   Her tonality was surprisingly good.  It was a woeful choice for her, though.  Shirley Bassey?  Reeeeally?  That is one of my fav Bond films and that theme is quite mature. 

Old dude has soul for days...and a voice that breaks.  He was a nice respite from the artifice.

The Indian dancers were the class of that group and of the night.  The Africans' vocal arrangements were not proper for that song.   Their execution was pretty good.  They should move forward.

Didja notice that despite the complete breakdown in the Sentimentalists' act, Simon did not buzz them?  It was the all-time most appropriate time to do so and he failed to do so.  Hmmmm.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Didja notice that despite the complete breakdown in the Sentimentalists' act, Simon did not buzz them?  It was the all-time most appropriate time to do so and he failed to do so.  Hmmmm.

Really? I thought he did. 

He buzzed twice tonight. One was for the horrible Ring of Fire act. Who was the other? 

• Love 3

OK, I'm wearing my tin foil hat so no one can hurt me while I tell you about my conspiracy theories.  I think there are certain acts they REALLY want to go through - violin boy, the Indian dance troupe and the African singers.  Possibly also blind guy.  While these were probably what could legitimately be called the best acts of the night it seemed like they LOADED the episode with terrible acts (or deliberately trashed others) to make sure their chosen acts got through.  The knife throwing act wasn't good enough to get through judge cuts and tonight they tried to throw in anything they could think of - including slapstick.  The sentimentalists were incredibly boring - especially since she got her first guess with Julianne wrong.  The contortionist is talented but I can't imagine how that would be an entire act.  

I also think the sound team isn't likely to win any awards for talent.  Violin boy was completely drowned out half the time by the backing track.  The lead singers of the African singers were also completely drowned out by the chorus.  (This also happened last week with voices of service.)  You would think after ALL this time they would know how to adjust the sound so we can actually hear it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

OK, I'm wearing my tin foil hat so no one can hurt me while I tell you about my conspiracy theories.  I think there are certain acts they REALLY want to go through - violin boy, the Indian dance troupe and the African singers.  Possibly also blind guy.  While these were probably what could legitimately be called the best acts of the night it seemed like they LOADED the episode with terrible acts (or deliberately trashed others) to make sure their chosen acts got through.  The knife throwing act wasn't good enough to get through judge cuts and tonight they tried to throw in anything they could think of - including slapstick.  The sentimentalists were incredibly boring - especially since she got her first guess with Julianne wrong.  The contortionist is talented but I can't imagine how that would be an entire act.  

I also think the sound team isn't likely to win any awards for talent.  Violin boy was completely drowned out half the time by the backing track.  The lead singers of the African singers were also completely drowned out by the chorus.  (This also happened last week with voices of service.)  You would think after ALL this time they would know how to adjust the sound so we can actually hear it.

Yes I do believe they do this on purpose. It's hard to believe its "random" of how they choose who performs when.

Anyway next week:

Benicio Bryant, Singer

Berywam, Beatboxing Group

Detroit Youth Choir, Choir  - Terry GB

Dom Chambers, Magician

Emanne Beasha, Opera Singer - Jay Leno GB

Eric Chien, Magician

Gonzo, Dancer and Tambourinist

Jackie Fabulous, Stand-Up Comedienne

Lukas & Falco, Dog Act

MacKenzie, Singer

Marcin Patrzalek, Guitarist

TBA Wild card

Have to think those two GB prob go through easily with the lack of competition. Eric I feel is very talented and similar to Shin Lim he should go through. From there who really knows? I would say Benicio but Simon had that weird moment with him where he asked them to go backstage and come back which I still don't understand why. 

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 2

Sitting through this episode was one of those times where you wish you would pass away in your sleep. It had a few good acts, so it wasn't actually that bad, I've just grown accustomed to starting my post with something like that, though I will interpret someone ever calling me a "fan" of this show as a derogatory remark and I will protect myself. Julianne actually looked kinda hot today after a few weeks of what appeared to be a 5 year aging process in a 3 week timelapse - I made so many caveman-like grunts, I was notified via email of my dismissal from MENSA during the show.

Charlotte Summers - Summers going on first near the end of Summer makes for an interesting brain teaser, but if there were any truly intelligent people watching this show, they would've already turned it off. Naturally, I gritted my teeth like a Mother bear when in the video package before, on the Hollywood tour, they showed Simon's house - this "judges are our friends" shit is so annoying. Calming down, I actually really liked her voice, as it sounded like a real performance and not "she's a kid, so pretend it's better than it is" - perhaps her voice is more developed because the aging process causes Brits to collect their pensions at age 22, but it's a rare thumbs up (albeit with a neutral expression) from me.

Nick & Lindsay - They put so much thought into their act, but evidently zero effort into their name. Any band or TV show that is just two people's names sandwiched together, sometimes with the arrogant "R" trademark symbol as if an iconic brand has been born is pure laziness. Anyways, the guy's singing is so embarrassing, especially since it was obvious that the crowd wasn't into it from the beginning, yet he continued as if it was wanted. The whole act was terrible and though I'm sure my reaction at the end would be staring at the floor in tears, their attempt at saving face by acting like it was an intentional train wreck was also embarrassing.

Chris Klafford - As the world's most handsome man, that gives me the authority to complain about everyone else's appearance without repercussion. I hate that long hair and long beard combo, as it seems they mix together into an inseparable hybrid of poor hygiene. It's so difficult to imagine how a woman would ever be attracted to that, even when I lay on my bed and fantasize about being pregnant, the image never comes to mind. Even though a rare few people can rock long hair, I grew mine out a few years ago and the idea of looking in the mirror at how gross I looked and thinking "I want to keep this" made me a prime candidate for psychiatric intervention. He has a good voice, but the annoying presumption that everyone in the crowd should see him as the "golden boy" of this season is irritating. I can't remember what my opinion of Michael Ketterer was last year before the endless asskissing.

Marina Mazepa - Her initials are a perfect fit for what I uttered when there was an upclose shot of her face "Mm(mmm)". Maybe I've used that one before, but it's not like anyone remembers what I say, as my hour of chin scratching of trying to think of something witty will result in the office worker reading it giving a quick "Ha" before going back to what they were doing. I don't get what everyone sees in this act, I think it's bloody boring - a quality this show seeks to redefine each and every week, as their definition of boring tends to overlap with torture. She just makes funny faces and crawls around like the spider in Miss Muffet - I don't get it. Her decent looks manage to keep my eyes open, though admittedly they are pointed at the wall.

Robert Finley - Him wearing sunglasses showed real confidence about his bright future and turning a blind eye to any distractions. I liked this performance too, as he has a nice voice and I'm guessing the fact that he is not and seems as though he will never turn into a woman means my mind won't be elsewhere. His name being an extremely butchered and "kinda but not really" version of "Finale Robber" could have been a hint from the beginning of how far he'll go, but my paranoid vision may be disproven tomorrow.

The Sentimentalists - I didn't like this act the other times they were on, but I thought this was decent. The girl was acting like a super babe, which almost never happens for anyone, because attempts at acting cute aren't that common and usually fall flat, but ZOMG I wanna buy her things, assuming that's how true love works. Having the all-American breakfast of doughnuts and cakes should make a connection with the audience, as should their demonstration of technology for being able to taste junk food without having to get off the couch.

Ryan Niemiller - Finally a comedian that doesn't serve as an opportunity to tone every facial muscle that corresponds to performing a yawn. From memory every joke hit, which is a real treat compared to Jackie Fabulous where no jokes hit you, yet you still feel like you're being abused. As a nod to Ryan, I'll be switching from using Photoshop to using GIMP (assuming most people on here only use the computer for Facebook and dog videos, this line meant nothing to you).

V. Unbeatable - Their performances always have so much happening, it's like I don't register what's happening. It was pretty entertaining, but like you would expect from an act consisting of so many members, it's like everyone there is just a face in a crowd and so you don't really connect with the act on a personal level, so if they got eliminated, it would feel like "Whatever" to me, even though I liked them.

Joseph Allen - Moving to LA appears to have been a mistake, though with the levels of traffic congestion, his car and belongings are probably still on the freeway, so after getting eliminated tomorrow, he can walk an extra 30 feet from where his car was the day before and drive back home. I know "generic" seems to be a buzzword for people thinking their critiques carry any knowledge of the industry, but for a black guy, this song was like 3 minutes of white noise - I'm sure another listen of it in an attempt to digest it would reveal it to be a proverbial prune, as it would move right through me. The audience stood up in applause, but we will never know if they were only cheering in relief that it was over.

Light Balance Kids - If I remember correctly, the Father of one of these kids was in a light act in another season. Being from another country, him seeing red lights dim, hearing X's sound and the crowd boo and not understanding that people don't want to see this has gotta be the most stubborn example of refusing to lessen the language barrier. The kid acts are pretty much always worse than the other acts, so I don't really know what you can expect, but it just seemed like they were strapped in lights and did a little dance. I thought it was a snooze.

Tyler Butler-Figueroa - It was a good act, though it's just the nature of the violin that it means there isn't a super high level of stage presence/immersion, just like Brian King Joseph. Nothing much to say - lack of rage makes my commentary pretty boring.

Ndlovu Youth Choir - The white guy leader looks like such a pansy, though I kind of find it depressing in a hard to articulate way, I guess just "I'm glad he's enjoying himself, despite looking like such a nerd". I don't get the hype for this choir, especially since it seems like the implication is "they're good because they came all the way from Africa" even though mumble rap is the closest thing to "a language you don't understand" being played on the radio, so I don't get what the intended audience is. If they win it's like everyone likes them in this context, but they're probably unmarketable outside of a talent competition. Their performances mainly just inspire indifference instead of annoyance like a lot of other acts, though.

Overall not a terrible episode, so my Father's vintage whiskey collection remains intact, but you never know how bad the next one will be. I like the results shows a fair bit for whatever reason, even though they mainly consist of everyone staring off into space - I'm pretty sure last week I complained about results shows, but the days that this show isn't on is when I realize I have nothing else to do.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Charlotte Summers - She has a great voice, but the song sounded like it'd be used in a daydream sequence in a children's cartoon where a queen bee breaks into song about how she doesn't need friends, only expensive stuff. I thought it was Rihanna's "Diamonds", which would have been infinitely better, despite some of Rihanna's songs ("Stay", for one) being heavily overdone on these talent shows. Assuming she gets tall enough, I think she looks like a future runway model and could fall back on that if the singing doesn't work out. All that's needed to convey that snobby haute couture model expression is to channel the emotions of any 40-person group act who wins the show and realizes their $25,000 cut before taxes is actually paid out over a 50 year annuity.

Nick & Lindsay - Perhaps not picking an actual stage name is smart branding on their part, since they can use their generic first names towards another vocation they might not be terrible at. If he didn't look like a slob himself, one may assume that seeing his wife's post-marriage weight gain has made him fearless enough towards death to do these stunts. Seriously, though, the entire act was embarrassing to watch and was totally devoid of laughter or amazement. That singing was so cringeworthy, nevermind doing it with a cheeky smirk on his face while the audience didn't react.

Chris Klafford - I'm not buying his story about playing in bars, partially because he already won Swedish Idol, and also because he doesn't mention fostering deep connections with Kris Allen or Caleb Lee Hutchinson at these watering holes, which is quite dubious. I hate his "food crumbs stuck in muh beard" aesthetic, but the performance was great.

Marina Mazepa - The girl with long hair and makeup claiming to not be like the other girls really struck a chord with me, all she needs is to claim an affinity for video games and we'll have found a true unicorn. Anyway, the routine was lame because we've seen it all before and like Simon the hard hitter (read: the guy who puts these acts through to begin with) said, there's not enough to be enthralled by when the surprise has been revealed. She talks a big game about what she's going to do and then doesn't do much of anything, much like myself in terms of seeking employment. Howie's joke was hilarious, it didn't seem to get any reaction.

Robert Finley - He's so cool, you almost want to gouge your own eyes out to see if being blind is the key to having that suaveness. Not the kind of music I'd purposely seek out, but he's probably going to be better than half the acts on any given night. That partially speaks to the wide variance in quality within the talent pool, but he's entertaining regardless.

The Sentamentalists - If they're so all-knowing, why didn't they get the hint that America didn't want them back? Also, why does there have to be at least one of these ESP duos every single year, with the woman having a powdered white face and the overweight man looking like some kind of "Count". I'm so spoiled with high quality mukbang videos on YouTube of old men eating desserts that the poor audio of Howie chewing that canoli just made me upset. On a serious note, the act ran way too long and was boring. They didn't guess Julianne's gum flavor (or whatever it was) and the recovery monologue/segue was awkward. Any time the guest participants in these magic acts don't do exactly what is "required" of them, it leads to such a clumsy attempt to salvage the act by filling in the answer for them.

Ryan Niemiller - Finally, a good comedian on this show. I think this could have been the first time on AGT that a contestant would deserve a golden buzzer for not doing something, that being talking about living in a trailer and having the presence of mind to not unveil a 2-man show with Vicki Barbolak strutting out there. Anyway, he didn't do 100% of the material on his arms and even when he has jokes on them, they're usually clever instead of just "let's draw attention to my identifiable woes once again" like [aforementioned shit comedian who shall not be named again]. Not being able to write out the routine on his hands also speaks volumes to his memory and preparedness.

V. Unbeatable - Their name sounds like a very poor Easter egg of a spoiler, although they're probably the best act on the show so why shouldn't they win? Not much else to say about them specifically, although it was annoying for Gabrielle to mention that they were Dwayne Wade's golden buzzer and claim "it takes a champion to notice a champion". Unfortunately, the entire viewing audience is retarded and should be thankful for the judges' ability to tell them something is obviously good.

Joseph Allen - Unless his Mom is his on-stage hype-woman yelling at the crowd to "get their motherf***ing hands up", I don't get why he made an entire song about the both of them "making it" when he's the only contestant out of the two. Maybe she's one of those parents who play the "well, I gave birth to you!" card for decades, in which case is hardly endearing. This sounded like a very Radio Disney kind of song, but not that bad. He's not a great singer, although I think he'd be better off working at that and not rapping. At least pick one or the other, not the corny fusion.

Light Balance Kids - What's with having two songs from authentic homegrown talent Billie Eilish tonight? They were so dull, it hardly improved the underlying performances one bit. "Ocean Eyes" would have been a good fit for Bir Khalsa if they weren't eliminated, since they blind themselves with sand and salt every week. These acts are probably great to watch in person, but not so much on a television when so much of the real estate is just darkness.

Tyler Butler-Figueroa - These stories are of course put on the show to draw interest, but as far as actual talent goes, I don't really get the hype. Brian King Joseph was a much more engaging violinist, though he's an adult, so that's hardly surprising. I was confused because I originally thought "Don't You Worry Child" was a producer's anthem directed towards Ansley Burns' perpetual residence in the competition. The song being from "Swedish House Mafia" also casts more doubt on Chris Klafford's authenticity as a struggling artist.

Ndlovu Youth Choir - I felt like a minimalist, for I didn't want 'a choir' on the show at all. For the blind K-pop fans, the described audio of their outfits may have misled people into thinking BLACKPINK was performing, so hopefully they weren't too disappointed. (Dad jokes must be a display of thinning patience) It gets hard to honestly review acts I don't really care about, but they have a lot of energy and are talented, etc...I'm just not a fan of what they do and mentally tune out half of what they're doing. This isn't based on anything, really, but I get the sense that they are or could be one of those acts that tries to have such mass appeal that they don't really resonate with a lot of people specifically. Could be wrong on that, I haven't read the other posts here yet.

Edited by Neet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

OK, I'm wearing my tin foil hat so no one can hurt me while I tell you about my conspiracy theories.  I think there are certain acts they REALLY want to go through - violin boy, the Indian dance troupe and the African singers.  Possibly also blind guy. 

The tin foil hat only absorbs rays from things that are real, so that rules the moon out. (My new favorite joke, apparently). People always talk about the producers or whoever trying to make certain people win, which I would understand if the acts had any type of future or a specific person winning had any real consequence. Showing pictures of the finalists a month after the finale to every person who watched the show would trigger dementia en masse, because they'd go "Who the hell is that? I think I saw that guy cleaning a toilet at the movie theater" since nobody seems to have a real career after the show. You'd have to wonder why the producers would care who wins if it's unlikely any of them will succeed or benefit NBC in any real way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thanked Simon and then Simon & Howie for their red buzzers.  The Sentimentalists should have also been buzzed for being boring, too long and drawn out, and failing to get all the answers correct.  I also agreed with all of Simon and Howie's criticisms and wish the audience would STFU and listen instead of immediately booing them.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 11
41 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I thanked Simon and then Simon & Howie for their red buzzers.  The Sentimentalists should have also been buzzed for being boring, too long and drawn out, and failing to get all the answers correct.  I also agreed with all of Simon and Howie's criticisms and wish the audience would STFU and listen instead of immediately booing them.

Everyone in the audience seems like an NPC drone who won't have a firm opinion on an act unless they're told what to think - so bloody annoying how every act not getting a tongue bath results in a boo.

• Love 6

I am glad it wasn't just me.  Bachelor in Paradise was also very boring, so I was switching back and forth, and omg, this really was a terrible episode of AGT.  I mean, it was bad.  And I don't even love the show, but just watch for the heck of it--but on the scale of knowing that, this was truly bad.  

I enjoyed Nick & Lindsay.  A lot went wrong, but they kept trying, which I found kind of endearing (especially when one of the breakaway bottles didn't break, if I remembered correctly?  Which makes me wonder how much was sabotage, and how much was just a terrible night.)  That said, I hope they get booked at a venue where people who enjoy their act can see it, and people who didn't don't have to not-enjoy it.   Maybe a casino, where people could come and go between songs?

so bloody annoying how every act not getting a tongue bath results in a boo.

Wait, are you implying those aren't the only two options?  Or are you stating that?  Because either would be accurate, and I almost skipped this week because I suspected that would happen.  It's a year of more variety, but it's a year when Piff the Magic Dragon would have won it all.

19 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

I enjoyed Nick & Lindsay.  A lot went wrong, but they kept trying, which I found kind of endearing (especially when one of the breakaway bottles didn't break, if I remembered correctly?  Which makes me wonder how much was sabotage, and how much was just a terrible night.)  That said, I hope they get booked at a venue where people who enjoy their act can see it, and people who didn't don't have to not-enjoy it.   Maybe a casino, where people could come and go between songs?

I thought their act was awful, but they are likable personalities. Like you said, it would work well in a smaller venue, like one of the modern day "freak" shows. 

12 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

What in holy hell was that Ring of Fire act? It was so bizarre. I can’t believe a giant hook didn’t pull them off the stage. 

They should have never gone through the first time.  They are needed back at their B&B pronto!  Hurry!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

They should have never gone through the first time.  They are needed back at their B&B pronto!  Hurry!

The Tequila Guy wasn't available, clearly.

It just made me realize what most of the acts reminded me of. Who watched the early seasons of SYTTD and the horrible dancer Sex who auditioned every time? It was awful. It was supposed to be awful ha ha funny like the She Bangs guy from American Idol but never was.

That's what I was reminded of with most of the acts last night.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Finally ff'ed through the whole episode. I thought last week we might get an avalanche of singing acts in the 7 that made it through.....I'll be stunned if that doesn't happen tonight.

Ryan Niemiller has been much funnier in his previous appearances. I wonder if that will bite him tonight.

The African Choir is surely getting through, the Indian Dance Kids are as well. Last week Carmen Carter surprisingly did not make it through along with Sophie Peccora. So I'm wondering about the other singing acts (including the rap teen). I actually kind of liked Charlotte's performance although I kept waiting for her to sing Skyfall cause that's literally what I thought she was singing the entire song. Going 1st out of 12 is never a great thing. I wonder about Robert Finley, if he'll pull enough votes...I could see him in the Twitter save possibly. The bearded Chris I think will probably make it through.

The Sentimentalists. What a waste of a WC spot. I'm with someone in another thread, they totally should of picked Matthew Richardson the Aerial Hoop Guy. Nick & Lindsay were sort of comi-tragic. I watched, like one would watch a gazelle going down to a cheetah on a NatGeo documentary. I'm not overly impressed with the Light Balance Kids...I think their dance ability is sub-par at best. The computer animation is great but it should be elevated by high level dancing...instead it's dragged down.

Marina the contortionist dancer is definitely going to end up in the bottom of the vote totals. I suppose Violin Boy's story gives him a strong chance, but as an act it's incredibly weak. like 8th or 9th place out of 12 weak.

• Love 3

I couldn't be arsed to rewind and catch it but the senti-whatalists did NOT get Julianne's candy correct right? If that's true then they look bush league picking a flavor on the note that didn't exist right? Why are they there. The French mentalists were a little frou frou for me but they were solid.

If they only positive critique an act can get is about cleaning their toes then you're having a very bad night.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I agreed with Julianne that the act fell apart so badly that it was hysterically funny. Even the guy was all "what the heck, let's keep going." It was one of my fav acts of the night. As for Simon buzzing it, dude, YOU are the dumbass that put the act through, so go buzz yourself buddy.

5 hours ago, alexa said:

Bachelor in Paradise was also very boring, so I was switching back and forth, and omg, this really was a terrible episode of AGT.

*Waving* because I was doing the same thing. There needs to be a third choice on Tuesday nights.

10 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

The senti-whatalists did NOT get Julianne's candy correct right?

They told Julianne her candy was orange. We don't know what it really was. And they never did get a reaction from Gabrielle, they just said hers was bubble gum while she sat and stared at them, unblinking. Howie chowing down all the pastries and fruit was so weird, perhaps the strangest thing of the night. It was all prop food which normally is kept for a year or two backstage. But maybe they brought in fresh so Howie could gross us out. I mean, use a napkin Howie, like I hope your mom taught you.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the singers. I did watch the violin kid and was not impressed. At the end he hit a pose and held it until the camera guy got tired of filming it and maybe the kid was carried off the stage still in the pose. Not sure since I looked away.

The Indian dance crew was great and the kid flipping through the hoop tossed in the air was one of the best tricks I've seen ever. I wonder if they didn't get selected to be on World of Dance so came to AGT instead.

The contortionist woman being buzzed ... again, dumbass, she's on this show because YOU put her through so go buzz yourself. You didn't like her music? Oh, please Simon.

And speaking of Simon, maybe he's too cool for school, but showing up for the live finals in the same clothes he slept in all week is the heights of disrespect. I give you a big red X, Simon.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Babalooie said:

They are needed back at their B&B pronto! 

I can see their B&B getting a lot of bookings after that pre-act publicity it got. It would be a hoot to stay there. So there's the upside.

1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Who watched the early seasons of SYTTD and the horrible dancer Sex who auditioned every time? It was awful. It was supposed to be awful ha ha funny like the She Bangs guy from American Idol but never was.

I was wondering if Sex is still auditioning. If so, we will see the failed acts time and time again on AGT. And She Bangs became a cult favorite. So, while we won't remember the season winners, we will keep seeing the failed acts. Now there's something to look forward to, right?

7 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

Wait, are you implying those aren't the only two options?  Or are you stating that?  Because either would be accurate, and I almost skipped this week because I suspected that would happen.  It's a year of more variety, but it's a year when Piff the Magic Dragon would have won it all.

The criticism usually comes off as "Well, you showed up" regardless of the lack of quality, unless it's something that is truly hated by everyone. Even "Ehh, I didn't think it was your best performance" is met with boos, with the vague implication that actually every performance is their best and if you are not wowed by everything everyone does, you are a p.o.s.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

V. Unbeatable - Their performances always have so much happening, it's like I don't register what's happening. It was pretty entertaining, but like you would expect from an act consisting of so many members, it's like everyone there is just a face in a crowd and so you don't really connect with the act on a personal level, so if they got eliminated, it would feel like "Whatever" to me, even though I liked them.

Last night was the first time I realized there were girls in the group...

He is not......BGT Champions has been in the can for about a month now......how else could the winner have already been leaked?   It had started taping right after the BGT live shows.   So Simon is fine......no jet lag.

I haven't watched this episode yet.....but judging from all the people here who hate it......it becomes a must see.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Bingo!  The disclosure in their pre-taped package turned me off them even more when they said they were hoping to give up their B&B.  Like, that's gonna draw more potential B&B bookings and guests.  Don't give up your day jobs!

3 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I was going to include this picture with my post - I laughed at this the whole weekend; he's had so much plastic surgery, he looks like a Madame Tussauds statue 🤣 Exqk9kuTURBXy9iNGMwODA4Zi04YzQ5LTRlMDUtO

There was an article on DailyMail Online about Simon's surgeries and overdone Botox, with a rendering from some plastic surgeon who shows what Simon Cowell would look like aged naturally, according to him anyway.  Simon admits in the article that he had gone overboard on the Botox.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Last night was the first time I realized there were girls in the group...

There are?  I didn't even notice.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sounder said:

He is not......BGT Champions has been in the can for about a month now......how else could the winner have already been leaked?   It had started taping right after the BGT live shows.   So Simon is fine......no jet lag.

I haven't watched this episode yet.....but judging from all the people here who hate it......it becomes a must see.

It is must see, just for the hate watching.

5 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

There are?  I didn't even notice.

I noticed a couple kids towards the front with long braids flying. (I then figured they could still be boys with long hair, though I didn't think so, so I googled and something I found referred to "boys and girls" in the group.)

• Useful 1

I think the Summers girl can sing but why oh why don't these young kids pick songs from young pop artist to sing?

Knife throwing act was bad. They should have never made it past auditions.

I like Chris and I'm the minority but I like a nice well trimmed beard and his is. I like the long hair too, so Viking :-) Just don't put that hair in a forking bun!

The bendy lady is every straight mans idea of talent lol. But her whole act is crawling around like a spider.

I like Robert.

I like Ryan, like Simon says he does have a good flow.

The Sentamentalists have a terrible execution. I don't think Gabby had Bubble Gum the look on her face was like, I'm not sure that's the flavor. And what's up with the gray hair stripe in the husbands hair, was that new?

V. Unbeatable I was not thrilled with. I didn't like the lighting or the song. It looked like all they were doing was tossing the young ones in the air and doing flips. Throwing that one kid through the flying hoop was cool though.

The Choir is another one I'm wasn't thrilled with. I didn't like the pink and bright white light also it wasn't so much a Choir as 4 kids singing out front with a group in back as back up singers.

The violin kid is good for his age but I don't know how they would make a Vegas show out of that?

Light Balance Kids are my favorite of the night but I didn't like the music.

What was up with Howie and his suit with white sneakers and no socks? Also his pocket square looked like an index card.

I'm not a fan of Simons look. I don't like that graying scruffy I need to shave look I can't help but think, this guy just crawled out of bed and still has morning breath. And his eyes look droopy.

I hate it when an act says I want to see my name in lights in Las Vegas. It's not going to happen. AGT is not going to change your life just like contestants on the Voice always say "if a chair turns it will change my life." Wrong!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I think the Summers girl can sing but why oh why don't these young kids pick songs from young pop artist to sing?

Knife throwing act was bad. They should have never made it past auditions.

I like Chris and I'm the minority but I like a nice well trimmed beard and his is. I like the long hair too, so Viking :-) Just don't put that hair in a forking bun!

The bendy lady is every straight mans idea of talent lol. But her whole act is crawling around like a spider.

I like Robert.

I like Ryan, like Simon says he does have a good flow.

The Sentamentalists have a terrible execution. I don't think Gabby had Bubble Gum the look on her face was like, I'm not sure that's the flavor. And what's up with the gray hair stripe in the husbands hair, was that new?

V. Unbeatable I was not thrilled with. I didn't like the lighting or the song. It looked like all they were doing was tossing the young ones in the air and doing flips. Throwing that one kid through the flying hoop was cool though.

The Choir is another one I'm wasn't thrilled with. I didn't like the pink and bright white light also it wasn't so much a Choir as 4 kids singing out front with a group in back as back up singers.

The violin kid is good for his age but I don't know how they would make a Vegas show out of that?

Light Balance Kids are my favorite of the night but I didn't like the music.

What was up with Howie and his suit with white sneakers and no socks? Also his pocket square looked like an index card.

I'm not a fan of Simons look. I don't like that graying scruffy I need to shave look I can't help but think, this guy just crawled out of bed and still has morning breath. And his eyes look droopy.

I hate it when an act says I want to see my name in lights in Las Vegas. It's not going to happen. AGT is not going to change your life just like contestants on the Voice always say "if a chair turns it will change my life." Wrong!

I agree with all your points except I don't enjoy Light Balance Kids and didn't think this performance was anything special.  I didn't get what the story was that they were supposed to be telling and the skeletons costumes looked random and out of place and like Halloween costumes without that theme.  Not the worst, and not the best act.

7 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

What a waste of a WC spot. I'm with someone in another thread, they totally should of picked Matthew Richardson the Aerial Hoop Guy.

According to the preview on tonight's results show, he's next week's wild card.

Wow, this episode was a hot mess. I loved every second of it.

Whoever mentioned "Skyfall" in relation to Charlotte Summers's performance...I was thinking, if she was gonna do a Bond theme, that would have been a better choice. "Diamonds Are Forever" was just too mature for her. "Skyfall" would have been a better pick for her voice--it's not all that romantic so it also would have just been generally more age appropriate.

Nick and Lindsay and The Sentimentalists were painful to watch. I think I pulled a muscle from cringing.

Man, Simon really doesn't like Billie Eilish, does he? I get she's not everybody's cup of tea--and is the exact opposite of the artists he likes to promote--but she is one of the hottest acts out there right now. He might not be happy about that, but if he wants to keep presenting himself as a tastemaker with his finger on the pulse of pop culture, he's gonna have to just accept that.

That trick where one kid in V.Unbeatable threw the hoop and the other kid flipped through it was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Joseph Allen seems like a good dude, but having a healthy relationship with your mom is not a talent.

• Love 3

I was half way through the episode when I concluded that no one brought their A-Game.  It was bad.  I had to agree with Simon on the Ring of Fire act being the worst ever in the finals. I don't know if the producers are trying to kill this show, otherwise I don't understand why they aren't bringing the viewing audience quality entertainment.  Instead they force this drivel.  They have the power to bring entertaining, good acts to the stage, but they don't.  They just show crap.  

I could tell by the look on Gabriel's face that the sentamentalist got the flavor wrong.  I must have some psychic ability knowing that Howie was going to go for the cannolli.  Or maybe that's what I would go for and Howie and I have the same taste in baked goods. 

I did  not enjoy any of these acts. They were boring and or sloppy.  I was disappointed in the contortionist.  The reason I liked her to begin with was because she mixed dance in with the act.  Now it's just all acrobatics. This entire episode just sucked. 

Was the kid on the violin playing? It sounded like a violin was playing when he wasn't. 

Thoughts on this episode...

Well, I thought it was better than last week's episode, but that's not really saying much.

Gabrielle-Holy side-boob, Batman! I spent the episode hoping there wouldn't be a wardrobe malfunction.

Charlotte-I agree with the judges on this one-while she has an amazing voice, the song choice was horrible.

Nick and Lindsay-WTH was that?! So many things wrong...

Chris Klafford-I couldn't understand half of what he was singing, and if he was singing about his grandmother, then some of the lyrics were somewhat awkward, imo(thank you closed captioning).

Marina Mazepa-Way too much going on in the background, and I'm with Simon on this one-it was kind of boring.

Robert Finley-I enjoyed his previous songs more <shrug>. That being said, he is an inspiration, and I really enjoy his personality and energy. I hope he makes it through.

The Sentimentalists-Why the hell were they given a wild card spot? Their act drags and is not entertaining.

Ryan Neimiller-He's funny, and I like him and his self-depreciating humor, but I think he needs to start mixing it up a little bit.

V. Unbeatable-I have to say, they are pretty impressive.

Joseph Allen-I didn't see his audition, and this performance did nothing for me.

Light Balance Kids-Wasn't great, wasn't horrible

Tyler Butler-Figueroa-Another one whose audition I didn't see. What was the purpose of him standing on the piano? As far as I could tell he played well-kind of brought Lindsey Stirling to mind.

Ndlovu Youth Choir-I have to admit that I got tired and FF'd through this one. Maybe I'll go back and watch it tomorrow...

Edited by marykat71702
Added something
  • Love 1

Between Penn and Teller and AGT, we've been seeing these Psychic acts a lot lately; and this was probably one of the worst tricks I've seen for it. 

First of all, choosing "taste" as their sense was a mistake. It encourages the judges to have full mouths and keeps them quiet (granted normally a good thing). For a prerecorded show where you can cut the chewing and swallowing, it would work better; but for a live show with a strict time limit, it didn't work at all.

Clearly the wrappers were supposed to have a mark on them to indicate their flavour. He was clearly looking closely at the wrapper after they took the candies and signaled her what the flavour was. But just as obviously he misread the marks twice. And as a cardinal sin of psychic magic tricks, he didn't let the mark confirm the guess. (a side effect of the speed they had to move the trick at)

I fast forwarded through the rest of the trick (and really through most of the episode) after that. I think the only one I watched fully was the tumbler act, the comedian and the light crew and like most everyone else, wasn't really impressed by anyone all around. 

• Love 2