Type keyword(s) to search

S01: Week 4: July 29. 2019-August 2, 2019

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think for every person who thinks they are boring there are two or three that will still see them as 'cute' and 'most like me' when it comes to who to actually vote for. Being the longest running couple will mean a lot as well I feel.

I'm still hoping we have interesting people in the wings.

Those three chances would be:

Jered, 27 real estate agent

Anton, 24, personal trainer (and self-identified former 'player')

Emily, 21, student bartender (heading for law degree)

Edited by Wandering Snark
New "Islanders" info follow-up.
  • Love 2

Cashel referring to himself in the third person should have alerted everyone in the Villa that he sucks. 

Kyra is just the worst. I find her so boring. 

This abbreviated season is really taking the air out of the show. It’s clear the producers don’t understand what made the original work, and just think the show was popular because they kept adding new people. The show’s almost over and just about everyone is still keeping their options open for recoupling. They needed to have several strong couples form throughout the show for this to work. Zac and Elizabeth will win by default. 

Oh, and I’ll admit I was wrong about Weston and Kyra coupling would be a powerhouse. It’s clear neither one is really looking for a relationship, they just want camera time. 

• Love 10

I am officially bored...is this over yet? Can we just give Zac & Elizabeth the money already. 

If I voted today, they would get my vote. Yes, they're boring---but they are the only couple I actually believe out of the entire bunch. 

• Love 7

Caro winds us down a path of her train of thought about new "asian" guy (who is going by "Tone") and Ray, and it's not pretty. She ends with: "I'm confused". We're right there with ya Caro.

Annnd Kyra says that the new girl is "totally my type" and all the girls are falling all over her. She has more of a reaction to the new girl than she's shown with any of the guys. She's totally blushing and staring while trying not to stare. Then Emily casually claims to have 'kissed a lot of girls'. So this could end up with Eric going from the friend zone to the 'dumped for the opposite sex zone' all in one day.

Weston then jumps on (with both feet) to the "focus a little too much on the new girl" train and shows his inner douchebag fawning all over her like someone did to Weston before. Ahh, now this is getting interesting. The only reason Alexandra doesn't have to worry is that Emily shows zero interest in him, because he was totally eyeing a jump of his own.

As I mentioned previously Kyra is the master of 'keeping my options open' as we see her in a surely producer inspired "dare" to kiss Emily. She's so open she even hasn't crossed OG Weston off her list yet. How exactly is it that they are all all over Weston now? Is it because he has a huge... tract of land?

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
(edited)

I thought Eric was a douche before, but he was extra douchey tonight. I loved that he felt bad because everyone -- especially Kyra -- was "mourning" Cashel and basically ignoring him. He hasn't bonded with the boys, so he seemed to spend a lot of time alone.

All of a sudden, Weston has had a longstanding crush on Kyra that he didn't act on because of his "boy" Cashel? Come on. Now we've gone from a group of attractive young people hanging out to that reality show "play-the-game-by-screwing-your-castmates" BS that is the reason I don't like these shows. (Although I did like Alexandra telling Jered to go for it and talk to Kyra, because screw Eric.)

Cashel got mentioned a lot for someone who wasn't even there (much more than Katrina). The other earlier boys and girls who are gone are never mentioned, because no one made the impression Cashel did. Everyone just seemed disjointed, furthering my belief he was the group's "glue." Granted, it's a hothouse where feelings are magnified, but realistically, they only knew the guy for a few weeks.

It's too bad that other than the titillation & tease of Kyra and Emily's kiss, there will be no same-sex "coupling." I wouldn't have minded a Cashel and Weston "coupling" or Cashel and Dylan. (OK, so maybe I have a little crush on Cashel.) A "Love Island" where boys could pick boys or girls and vice versa would have been interesting. (But where would you get so many "out" bisexuals, especially men?)

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

If Kyra misses Cashel so much, I'm pretty sure they exchanged info so that she can get in touch with him after the show.  I'm guessing they all do if they're interested in connecting after the show. 

Kyra thinks she's so hot and she is as annoying to me as Caro now.  

• Love 2

OK the new dude Jared now has two red eyes. Yet Pink Eyed Caro hasn't gotten to him yet. Seems she may make a play for Tone. Regardless I am worried about sweetheart Ray catching the evil Pink!

New chic Emily is cute, great athletic body, but I'm not getting all the gushing. Interesting Weston is quickly ready to move on from his "inflated lips overly self tanner applied Kelsey". Me thinks once he saw her without all that makeup he realized she wasn't all that. I also think he's a total douche, and feels like a stud for the first time in his life so is just going for it.

I will admit being minorly amused at the leap frogging.

Yaemen continues to make weird eye buggy movements and it cracks me up. ALL the guys are getting so ripped, and I am here for it!

I am SO BORED by Elizabeth and Zac. Elizabeth is like the cute girlfriend that gets the guy and then stops trying with her looks hair makeup clothes. Shes already looking like a house fraus with four kids. Yikes.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I thought Eric was a douche before, but he was extra douchey tonight. I loved that he felt bad because everyone -- especially Kyra -- was "mourning" Cashel and basically ignoring him. He hasn't bonded with the boys, so he seemed to spend a lot of time alone.

All of a sudden, Weston has had a longstanding crush on Kyra that he didn't act on because of his "boy" Cashel? Come on. Now we've gone from a group of attractive young people hanging out to that reality show "play-the-game-by-screwing-your-castmates" BS that is the reason I don't like these shows. (Although I did like Alexandra telling Jered to go for it and talk to Kyra, because screw Eric.)

Cashel got mentioned a lot for someone who wasn't even there (much more than Katrina). The other earlier boys and girls who are gone are never mentioned, because no one made the impression Cashel did. Everyone just seemed disjointed, furthering my belief he was the group's "glue." Granted, it's a hothouse where feelings are magnified, but realistically, they only knew the guy for a few weeks.

It's too bad that other than the titillation & tease of Kyra and Emily's kiss, there will be no same-sex "coupling." I wouldn't have minded a Cashel and Weston "coupling" or Cashel and Dylan. (OK, so maybe I have a little crush on Cashel.) A "Love Island" where boys could pick boys or girls and vice versa would have been interesting. (But where would you get so many "out" bisexuals, especially men?)

Are you watching the current season of Are You The One? 

They are doing a season where all the singles are sexually fluid. There are 16 of them and they can all be potentially matched with any of the other 15 people. Despite the MTVness of it, it’s been a really good season so far. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have so many questions! 

Who is doing the cooking?

When all the girls are talking, is that natural or are they forced to gave ‘girl time’ vs ‘guy time’?

Why doesn’t anyone go into the pool?

Are there camera people or is this all filmed via hidden cameras?

Are the couples able to sneak off to get intimate or is everyone always together besides the Hideaway?

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Caro winds us down a path of her train of thought about new "asian" guy (who is going by "Tone") and Ray, and it's not pretty. She ends with: "I'm confused". We're right there with ya Caro.

Annnd Kyra says that the new girl is "totally my type" and all the girls are falling all over her. She has more of a reaction to the new girl than she's shown with any of the guys. She's totally blushing and staring while trying not to stare. Then Emily casually claims to have 'kissed a lot of girls'. So this could end up with Eric going from the friend zone to the 'dumped for the opposite sex zone' all in one day.

Caro's interest in Tone basically for "having Asian features" made me cringe.

I want Kyra and Emily to couple up to fuck with the show's heteronormative algorithm lol. But Emily seems straight or at least not interested in dating women, which is probably why Kyra's so into her because she loves a challenge. 

9 hours ago, JKLM said:

Because everybody wants to have Kyra and you might even be able to have Kyra, but nobody can hold Kyra. In fact you don't have her, she has you, and once she has you, she finds some reason to no longer want you. Probably the only thing that interests her is the hunt.

Ironically she's the one all the guys seem to want for some reason. Can none of the guys see?

It is odd that there's been like 12 girls in the Villa and everyone has a boner for Kira, even as they watch her discard dude after dude. Weston suddenly making a play for Kyra came out of nowhere, and of course Kyra is horny for it because she thought Weston had friendzoned her. It makes me laugh that Kyra wants Emily but is also competing for all the men she's interested in. The bisexual chaos!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Ynicknan said:

I have so many questions! 

Who is doing the cooking?

When all the girls are talking, is that natural or are they forced to gave ‘girl time’ vs ‘guy time’?

Are there camera people or is this all filmed via hidden cameras?

Are the couples able to sneak off to get intimate or is everyone always together besides the Hideaway?

No idea who cooks

considering this happens on all the versions of this show, I imagine they’re “encouraged” to have girl group and guy group talk time. I actually think it helps the show move, because right from the start people have to share who’s their “type” and if it’s ok for them to pursue someone in a couple. 

My guess is it’s hard for them to be mic’d up in the pool. But they do it in the UK show so I’m not sure. Plus, it looks like it monsoon season so I’m not sure the pool is all that appealing in the rain. 

No idea. Seems like it’s just hidden cameras. 

It’s probably against the rules. This season on the UK show a guy got kicked off and there’s been speculation as to why. My guess is that the contestants know the stakes and are more interested in staying on TV than hooking up with anyone. Again, on the UK version it seems like they give the show enough time for people to form actual connections. It’s not uncommon for multiple bf/gf couples to form and by the final week or so all that’s left are actual couples (for the most part). And sex is a bigger part of that show. Here, it doesn’t really seem like anyone is interested in anyone (other than Zac and Elizabeth). Normally the OG might say they’re attracted to someone new, but then that’s it and they stay committed to their partner. I just think they didn’t cast well and nobody is forming strong bonds with each other. (Plus, they’re rushing and adding tons of new people all the time. If they let the first group hang out for a couple of weeks before mixing things up then it makes it harder to recouple).

• Useful 1
(edited)

I hate watching this show late 😞  I get so aggravated and want to come comment but then I would get spoiled.  

I wanted to come here so badly and say that I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Weston.  When he's with Katrina, Kelsey comes along and he says that Katrina isn't nice enough to him or whatever.  Then now that Emily comes along, he says that Kelsey isn't adventurous enough for him or whatever.  Oh my god,  I really hate this guy!

Kyra was really annoying me with all of the Cashel stuff, honestly, I really think she just wanted to be overdramatic and get everyone's attention.  But then when Emily showed up Kyra won me back over by being so open with her attraction for her.

I like Eric now more because I like any guy away from Kyra.

I loved Caro being so open about loving Asian guys.  (They are often so disrespected in American media.)

I like Alexandra a lot and I feel bad for her that Dylan seems like a douche.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

As I mentioned previously Kyra is the master of 'keeping my options open' as we see her in a surely producer inspired "dare" to kiss Emily. She's so open she even hasn't crossed OG Weston off her list yet. How exactly is it that they are all all over Weston now? Is it because he has a huge... tract of land?

He's always been the least attractive guy to me, and now we find out he has a horrible personality too.  I don't get it.

2 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

Yaemen continues to make weird eye buggy movements and it cracks me up. ALL the guys are getting so ripped, and I am here for it!

LOL I agree.  When he did the eye thing that was hysterical.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kyra was really annoying me with all of the Cashel stuff, honestly, I really think she just wanted to be overdramatic and get everyone's attention.  But then when Emily showed up Kyra won me back over by being so open with her attraction for her.

I know, she's so annoying but she reeled me back in!

• Love 2

If Kyra were really Alexandra's best friend, then she would have told Alexandra not to wear her hair like that.

Kelsey was wearing a shirt that said "Caturday," but it looked like it was a just a plain t-shirt with iron-on letters, which I find incredibly endearing. Either she made it herself, which is adorable, or her grandma or someone made it for her and she wore it on TV, which is also adorable. She's internalized The Rules to a lamentable degree, but she does seem like a kind person. Weston calling her "simple" was pretty revealing. He's going to marry someone like Kelsey, who'll basically be his mom but with sex, but he'll be a serial adulterer with women he tells himself are more his speed, beginning shortly before the first anniversary.

Emily isn't hotter or more attractive than any of the women who are already there. She's just newer. They could bring in Tyler Perry as Madea, and these dumb guys would be like, "damn, she's so my type!"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

If Kyra were really Alexandra's best friend, then she would have told Alexandra not to wear her hair like that.

I think Alex. also said that Mallory was her best friend on the show.  I guess if Kyra wasn't there, she'd say the same about Elizabeth.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ynicknan said:

The narrator said (approx) in a previous shot of the villa "And now we see our beautiful pool that nobody uses." And he also had an "OMG they are in the POOL!" comment as well. It's like a running joke at this point.

1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Weston calling her "simple" was pretty revealing. He's going to marry someone like Kelsey, who'll basically be his mom but with sex, but he'll be a serial adulterer with women he tells himself are more his speed, beginning shortly before the first anniversary.

Wow, the bold portion is so creepy but SO MUCH what he seems to be going for with all his talk of "I can see coming home to you" etc. but then he pines for the "exciting" girl at the same time. I think you pretty much nailed this one. He's trash.

• Love 12

I do feel bad for Kelsey. She seems really sweet and I thought Weston was a good guy, but with this last week and how he treated Katrina, and now how he's treating Kelsey behind her back, of course my mind has changed on him. And now, even with new girl Emily, he's now professing his crush on Kyra! What? 

But really, Weston basically said that Katrina wasn't someone he could see himself going home to....which, fine. But now he calls Kelsey too simple for him? I mean, fine if you have preferences but seeing as he just got together with Kelsey and is already looking not just at the new girl, but one of the original girls, it's like....Weston is not an appealing guy at all.

Kyra/Emily would certainly have been a twist, if Emily was bisexual or pansexual or whatever. But since they gave no indication of that, it just felt like a cheap ratings ploy...I mean, granted, they didn't show it in a preview. But still. 

Zac/Elizabeth are so winning for being boring. 

Caro's into Asian dudes. Correction: Caro's into any guy. She's flirted with every guy in the house. It's a running joke, at this point. But poor Ray if Caro gets with the new guy (whose name I already have forgotten). 

Jered, or whatever his name is, probably won't be sticking around since I can't remember which girl he was into. Emily's the only new person last night that made an impression.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Emily isn't hotter or more attractive than any of the women who are already there. She's just newer. They could bring in Tyler Perry as Madea, and these dumb guys would be like, "damn, she's so my type!"

I agree.  I didn't get all the fuss about Emily, except that she was fresh meat. 

• Love 7

I think the best way to watch this show is to assume that all the participants are there because they want to be on television. Actually meeting someone they like romantically is an unexpected bonus, not their primary motivation.

• Love 7

Dropping in to say that I mentioned in the week 1 thread that I was going to keep up via the comments here and watch +/-2 episodes per week, and it's been working out swimmingly (ha, since they don't use the pool!) thanks to you lovely people.

From what I have seen and read, I agree that the show could benefit from a longer season. It seems to be following the Bachelor in Paradise format, and that's not going to work without the same level of idiots and drinking. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the official policy is about drinking on this show? It looks like they only unlock the liquor cabinet at specific times and keep them all drinking lots of water before and after.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I hate watching this show late 😞  I get so aggravated and want to come comment but then I would get spoiled.  

I wanted to come here so badly and say that I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Weston.  When he's with Katrina, Kelsey comes along and he says that Katrina isn't nice enough to him or whatever.  Then now that Emily comes along, he says that Kelsey isn't adventurous enough for him or whatever.  Oh my god,  I really hate this guy!

I like Eric now more because I like any guy away from Kyra.

I loved Caro being so open about loving Asian guys.  (They are often so disrespected in American media.)

I like Alexandra a lot and I feel bad for her that Dylan seems like a douche.

Really?! I’m surprised people are seeing Kyra’s attraction to Emily as anything more than another plea for attention and a demonstration she doesn’t know what she wants. 

Good point about Weston. I didn’t understand his whole, “Kelsey’s not adventurous enough” thing. He kept saying it but I couldn’t tell if that was code for sometime? Drugs? Weird sex? I feel like most young adults are up for adventure and trying stuff and it’s not like we’ve seen Kelsey be guarded or give the impression she just wants to sit on the couch all day. Just seemed like an excuse. 

• Love 6
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Good point about Weston. I didn’t understand his whole, “Kelsey’s not adventurous enough” thing. He kept saying it but I couldn’t tell if that was code for sometime? Drugs? Weird sex? I feel like most young adults are up for adventure and trying stuff and it’s not like we’ve seen Kelsey be guarded or give the impression she just wants to sit on the couch all day. Just seemed like an excuse. 

Of course it's an excuse!  My point is that he came up with some B-S excuse about why the woman he's with supposedly sucks when a new attractive woman came along.  He's done this twice now.  He could just be honest and say what he's after (playing around, hooking up with as many women as possible, etc.) but instead he insults the woman he's currently with as justification.

When he was doing this about Kelsey to Kyra, Kyra made what I thought was this disgusted face, like "WTF are you talking about Weston"?  But then she hit on him in the next scene, so.  Whatever.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Weston's colours are now unraveling themselves at an alarming rate. The good guy Weston that we saw in the beginning was mostly a result of none of the women showing interest in him. He was friend zoned from all corners and the moment Katrina showed interest in him, his confidence was re-ignited. He is basically the male version of Kyra - enjoys being desired by someone and the chase of it. Now after warning Eric about Kyra's behaviour with men, he's now trying to entertain Kyra's interest in him.

Eric is the hottest guy there for me but I understand the one-dimensional comments he's getting. I don't know if he's just aggressive 24/7 or if he thinks that's how he needs to play the game to make moves and shake things up but it's not working for him. It's been brought to his attention so it'll be interesting to see if he tries to adjust.

Cashel may have been the 'glue' for everyone there but from a boyfriend perspective, he wasn't a 'catch' to me but then again, neither is Kyra. Cashel's desire for Kyra only intensified when he realized that the new women weren't interested in him and the new guys were all chasing Kyra.

• Love 11

Eric is nice-looking but I don't like tattoos and those sleeve tats and the leg tat are especially gross to me.  The two new guys whose names escape me, and Dylan who hasn't had much screen time, are the most attractive to me.  I used to find Yamen attractive but his body quirks are now a turnoff. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Eric is nice-looking but I don't like tattoos and those sleeve tats and the leg tat are especially gross to me.  The two new guys whose names escape me, and Dylan who hasn't had much screen time, are the most attractive to me.  I used to find Yamen attractive but his body quirks are now a turnoff. 

I don't mind tattoos, it's just the nonsensical nature of  Eric's that kill me.  Ok, maybe they're meaningful to him, but from what I've noticed he has a big "dreamer" along with space ships, aliens, various planes,  a gorilla head, leaves, a tiger & hot air balloons. 

Kyra has what I like to call "prettiest girl at the prom" syndrome.  She'll do anything to get the male attention focused on her.  

That said, she & Weston deserve each other. Dylan was pissing me off this episode too. 

• Love 3

I don't have much of an opinion on Emily yet but I like that she has a seemingly natural, healthy looking body (she's obviously skinny but she doesn't look rail thin like some of these girls). And I looooove that she doesn't have fake, bloated lips!!! 

• Love 5
(edited)

Kelsey looks kinda rough without makeup and it seems to highlight those fake lips.

I don't understand why Ray wears that red 'do rag to bed since he's got a close haircut.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Whodunnit said:

Kyra make up your mind.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  She's becoming annoying and full of shit because she thinks she's sooooo hot.

• Love 4

I feel like my like brain has like turned like to mush since I've like been like watching this show.  I am like ashamed to like be watching. 

I don't care who wins this shit.

• LOL 5
(edited)

Not having enough time for the re-coupling because so much happened is BS.

I didn’t need to hear Emily and Weston ramble about who to choose for 35 mins. You just have to sleep in the same bed as the person. It doesn’t mean that you can’t talk and get to know other people.

I don’t care what she says, Kelsey is clearly jealous of Emily liking Weston.

Why are all of the guys asking Caro on first dates? I honestly don’t get what’s so great about this girl. She said that she likes Ray but she’s a tease.

Eric needs to stop with the “finding a deep connection with someone” speech. This is a reality show. 

Kyra I liked you in the beginning but, now you need to go. You shut Cash out, then dumped Cash for Eric and now you’ve shut Eric out too. You can’t be jealous that Eric kissed Emily since you’ve basically dumped Eric too. You’re turning into the girl version of Yamen. 

Edited by TroopinFairy
  • Love 14
(edited)

Kyra should move to one of the countries where polygamy is legal, marry two guys then alternate between them. Except that I doubt that would even work because she'd just crush on someone outside of the relationship.

She has no idea (and no apparent desire) of how to stay in a relationship. She enjoys the chase and the grass will always be greener on the other side.

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Love 7

(late post...)

Weston: "I'm in a pickle again." Well you wouldn't be if you could maybe keep your tongue out of other girls' mouths... he is showing himself to be such a schmuck, and totally a serial cheater.

Today's transcript from Caro's date: "Because like I told you like you are, like, my type but like I've kinda been waiting like for a guy, like, to walk in that kinda like has like your looks." Tone then says she is "like totally contagious" which is hilarious because she literally is!! Wash your hands well Tone!!

Kelsey is totally that girl that looks different every time you see her, she has her hair straight and down, she has her hair waivy/beachy, she has it straight and pulled back, kinda wavy and partially braided back... and she looks like a different person each way. It freaks me out.

When it comes to Emily, I think "I just want to go home with Kyra" is a serious possibility here, potentially leaving two guys dumped then, right? I don't get how she has two guys and a 'girl' interested in her. I like her type and I'm not even wiling to say she's the hottest/cutest/what-have-you. I'm sure the Kyra stuff is just a swerve but again, they can't show what you don't offer up, and she seemed serious about Kyra as a potential partner.

But that still comes nowhere near the foggy mind that Weston having "a love square" gives me. Seriously? I mean we're talking about Mr. Walking Red Flag here.

And Kelsey is all 'whatever, I don't chase boys' to Emily and making suggestions to Weston in which she's saying "Go figure out your connection with her and if it's still me at the end of the day cool." but I thinks he means more like "Fine if you want that bitch then go to her, figure it out, dipshit." I don't know it's all baffling to me right now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It's official, Weston is the worse kind of douche because he plays the goofy, lovable, sweet guy but I feel he liked to Kelsey about his conversation with Emily...I don't think he ever gave Emily the impression that he was happy with Kelsey and not really looking for other connections. The moment he got a date with Emily, he threw Kelsey under the bus by talking about the qualities she 'lacks' in his eyes. Everyone's still on Yamen's ass because he was moving really slow with Alana because there was no obvious spark there but Weston and Kyra are divulging interest in jumping from woman to woman and everyone still thinks those two are so great.

It's official, I can't think of anything more annoying or infuriating than listening to Caro's stupid ass and the baby voice and sound effects that go along with it. You're not Cardi B so settle the fuck down.

I'm over Kyra. Kyra just loves the chase. Once she gets what she wants, she finds a reason to sabotage it.

Didn't the women choose at the last re-coupling?

• Love 14

They're definitely trying to make me think Emily/Kyra couple up next episode, since I can't imagine what else could happen in the ceremony that would be that surprising or shocking. Not that that would be really surprising now that it's been telegraphed, but still.

I'd like to see it, even though I feel like this is contrived and not natural, but still. The only other time I've seen a F/F coupling is on Love Island UK season 2 and even though that didn't turn out so well, I'd like to see it happen again.

Kyra is definitely indecisive and possibly playing a game, but so is Weston. So many people have been coming at Kyra for seemingly changing her mind or being into so many dudes/people but Weston has been shuffling partners just as much.

• Love 5

I admit that I was a distracted viewer tonight  (drama irl) so I don't really know what's going on with Weston but I know I don't like it. I can't stand people who change their minds every five minutes like Kyra, Weston, and Caro are doing.

Why am I watching this again?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Everyone keeps bringing up Westons' acres. I don't know why since a friend once told me that you could buy a 100 foot by 100 foot plot of land in her small home town in Texas for $500. I realize  bigger plots are more desirable and thus more expensive, but I don't think that the price tag is as big as these ladies are thinking.

• Love 3
(edited)

If the show ends Aug 7 that is a very short run compared to the UK and even the Australian versions.  But it's a sign of CBS being tentative - they moaned publicly about the big chance they took with a 5-nights-per-week show - and the realities of network primetime with what is considered a summer replacement show.

By the way, this program (and all the others) are now being watched on YouTube TV.  I'm in two minds about handing Google more cash and more metadata but DirecTV became ridiculously expensive and top-heavy with absolute rubbish - PPV channels, infomercial channels etc.  YTTV features an unlimited (!) DVR and it's a very strange feeling not having to fret about running out of disk space and one almost feels guilty amassing such a huge library of things that will probably never be watched.  Conditioning and un-conditioning is a strange, powerful thing.  DirecTV Now, by comparison, limits DVR space to 20 hrs (!?) and is priced higher (depending on channel lineup) with more price increases inevitable given the depressing (for them) and now-regular stories of quarterly drops in satellite subscriptions.

And then there's the app.  DirecTV subscribers can, to a man, provide horror stories of their balky, unreliable, bug-filled app.  Now it works, now it doesn't.  You haven't left the house, left the room or even left the couch.  Log in.  Log out.  Log in again.  Oh, sorry, you wanted to catch up on the last set of that tennis match but 'the channel provider has disabled skipping ahead on the time line.'  'Watch your DVR from anywhere!' claimed the DirecTV ads.  The Big Lie.  Trying to access the DVR remotely (ie on another network while traveling) is impossible by rule or in practical terms as it attempts to 'register' your DVR despite having done so already many times. 

YTTV's app is snappy, peppy, reliable, stable, fast, intuitive, etc.  Works anywhere including over cellular data.  No logins, no 'registering' of DVRs.  To be fair, it's all cloud-based but it still provides a stark contrast to outdated technology propped up solely by misleading advertising.

Unfortunately, in order to get CBS's participation in the channel lineup YTTV agreed to stick unskippable ads (usually 6 of them where commercial breaks are placed during live air) in recorded shows 24 hrs after live air.  A small pain but a pain nonetheless.  The legacy providers (cable/satellite), the networks and even the newfangled streaming services still don't seem to grasp the prevalence of - ahem - other means of obtaining their shows with all interruptions edited out.  For free.  In any resolution desired.  Using the same transmission medium as the streaming.

As for LIUS, they're trying their best with mixed results - no doubt with the significant input of ITV types (the UK's network for Love Island) - to replicate the formula.  But a short series run makes it tricky with Islanders coming and going so rapidly.  Poor Christen got a single bleedin' day after traveling halfway around the world and was right to have a moan.

The narrator is hopeless.  Iain Stirling was already a successful stand-up comedian in the UK (he's Scottish) and took to voiceover work like a duck to water.  He's frequently been called the secret ingredient in the success of LIUK and has no fear of, as the Brits say, taking the p*ss out of the Islanders but he manages to retain some affection for them.  The US narrator is limited to - or opting for - unfunny, catty remarks.  These people are, by and large, ridiculous, narcissistic, insecure (despite their looks), jealous etc and are crying out for mockery of their attitudes and self-importance not just a running commentary of their actions/reactions.  Stirling does a comedy routine every night.  Hoffman does an impression of the kids who gathered in the corner dorm room every weekend to bitch about everyone else.

The weather has been even more hopeless.  I checked Fiji's annual weather profile to see if they are subjected to monsoons like much of Asia and the Indian and Pacific oceans but they are not.  It's just been bad luck with heavy rain and lots of it (eg the beer pong challenge).

We need to have a tearful funeral for regional accents and phraseology.  The nationalization and homogenization of everything is featureless and boring, especially the triphammer invocation of the word 'like.'  It's now being used as all parts of speech.  'Like, I didn't know if I would, like, like him?'

Cashel looked to be the ugly duckling among the Adonis types but had a surprisingly strong game although, inevitably, playing SNAG (sensitive new age guy) didn't work out.

Yamen is riding his luck but succeeding.  Fair play.  I wouldn't buy a lease on an outhouse from him or the new bloke but the ladies like him.

Dylan cries out for thought bubble memes similar to those utilizing Keanu Reeves as Ted 'Theodore' Logan.  'What if there are no tides and the earth just sinks down into the water every night?' etc.  A dim bulb to be sure.

Ray, thankfully, has dropped the rapper-with-a-mic act and can actually have thoughtful conversations.

Eric is a toolbag who apparently cleared customs.  He's breaking the stereotype of the soft-spoken, deferential Canadian but not in a good way.  For someone who considers himself Casanova he has yet to get physical with anyone.  Kids can laugh at old photos of adults wearing ridiculous clothes, shoes, hair and mustaches but a permanent etching of an alien head on the chest is going to be tough to explain or keep when the craze subsides.

Weston?  Making the classic errors of attempting to keep everyone happy simultaneously, thinking he can get away with it, and taking on even more trouble.  Blonde buxom Kelsey would seem to be custom-made for a Texas girlfriend/wife not least her iron-fisted grip on 'her man.'  Weston is hardly as spontaneous or adventurous as he thinks but has an adolescent fascination with the Bad Girls.

Zac/Elizabeth are the Achilles heel of Love Island regardless of nation or network - a committed, stable, couple who might actually be in love or Love (TM).  But such pairings confound the producers who want bed-hopping, gossip and drama.  Good luck to 'em.

Caro - words fail.  But at least she has a character arc - interesting at first, then annoying, now comedy relief.  Interesting that Dim Dylan summed up her personality concisely and accurately.

Alexandra - on the edge of cute, on the edge of sexy.  On the edge full stop.  Classic example of a girl not quite as attractive as her friends despite (probably) having more personality.  Killer husky voice but, like, the vocabulary needs, like, improving, y'know?  She's a bag of nerves and her 'let's just be a casual couple open to getting to know other people' is as hilarious as it is patently false.  Looked like ol' Dyl was putting her through her paces under the covers the other night.  Those two seconds of footage are about as racy as the US version is going to risk airing.

And then there's Kyra - queen bee syndrome personified.  Would gladly accept an attendant walking beside her holding a full-length mirror at all times.  Wants all the boys and wants all the boys to want her.  To be fair, most of them have tried.  Kyra is a bit of a ringer, having appeared with her band on America's Got Talent and with dozens of videos on YouTube where she was an even skinnier long-legged colt.  Unfortunately, the band's music is an unlistenable shouty mishmash of hip-hop and...something.

This board and many others often point out the unreality of reality TV.  It is, therefore, a hiding to nothing to talk about 'norms' on a show involving 20 or fewer people.  By that standard one could watch a football game and state that all humans are tall hulks who wear shoulder pads and helmets.  It is decidedly abnormal in the OED sense of the word due the sample size and drawing conclusions or extrapolations is, respectfully, logically unsound.

Like many of the Islanders, CBS's fear of commitment resulting from their claimed fears of backlash from showing too much skin or young people doing what young people do on a tropical island is probably going to doom LIUS to a Star Trek-type fate in which the network makes a flawed decision using flawed ratings that do not convey accurate information about the demographic they covet most.  LIUK had a halting start too but became a cultural phenomenon.  LI Australia also had spotty ratings in its first season.  It's claimed there will be a second Australian series but it's much delayed at present.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I actually like Eric a lot. Not just because he's the only Canadian, but because he doesn't seem to bullshit his way with these people and he's fairly open and honest about what he wants. He's confident, maybe a bit too cocky, but miles better than what Weston, Kyra, and Caro are doing with the people in their lives. Yes, Eric is still a new guy to the villa and is probably a goner since nobody seems to like him, but I really don't mind him at all.

Meanwhile, Weston, Kyra, and Caro are all messes. Same with Emily, who is trapped in three different love triangles and doesn't seem to even mind. I do like Emily, but don't care for her first world problems with her needing to choose between three different people.

Weston is a grade A douchebag, full stop. I thought I liked him previously but this past week has really shown his true colours. I'm all for exploring relationships on this show. What I'm not for is Weston playing each girl he's interested in and trashing them to his new eye candy. He did it with Katrina when he was interested in Kelsey. And now he's doing it with poor Kelsey now that he's semi-interested in Emily. I hate that Weston feels the need to trash Kelsey to Emily while also cuddling Kelsey two minutes later and telling her how much he cares for her. He obviously doesn't anymore. And now with Kyra expressing interest (and Kyra's another one I will need to rant about), he has no issues cuddling up with her and expressing his feelings about her while liking two other girls!

Kyra is just as bad as Weston, so if she chooses him, I will have no issues with hoping for an elimination from America/Canada, because they'd be booted out by fans in a heartbeat. Kyra flip flops just as much as Weston. She liked Cashel, then saw interest in Eric, but then Cashel left and that stopped Kyra's interest in Eric. And now Kyra apparently likes Weston? Da fuck? And I guess Kyra likes Emily as well (I do feel like Kyra has lit up more around Emily than any of the guys) but we all know THAT is not going to go anywhere. They're just teasing us to make us think that Emily would choose Kyra, but it likely won't happen. 

The OGs and Dylan seem to be encouraging Kyra/Weston. Again, no loss because the people around those two deserve WAY better. Kyra and Weston are awful. They're dramatic, which is fine, but we also have not gotten to know any of the new people outside of Emily. 

Meanwhile, we all keep forgetting about Caro, who is just as bad as those two. She's shown interest in pretty much all of the guys and doesn't seem very serious about any of them. She doesn't seem to actually like Ray. She seems to find Anton attractive but I doubt she sees a serious thing going with him. So basically, Caro can go as well. 

I don't know which boy is getting booted from the Island tonight, but I feel like it'll be one of Ray/Anton (depending on who Caro chooses), Eric, or Jered.

I feel like we don't even have enough girls to choose all but one guy. How many people are in this house? 

• Love 8
(edited)

If Kyra and Emily choose each other I will laugh like a bastard. It probably won't happen because then three guys would leave instead of one and then it would be completely unbalanced tomorrow morning when Kyra decides she doesn't like Emily as much as she thought she would, but it would still be great just to see the looks on all the guys' faces. Yeah, they love to watch two girls making out or having sex because they're thinking about the part where they join in, but two women who choose each other and don't want a man in the mix with them makes them scared and confused, and I am here for that.

It's funny that the only woman who was possessive about Weston was Mallory and she didn't even like him. Now that I know Weston better, I feel like I underrated Mallory. I still don't get what his appeal is. Objectively, he's not that good looking, and does he cut his own hair or what? I guess he's a nice guy until you start dating him. When the season is over, there needs to be an aftermath show, where Mallory, Katrina, Kelsey, Kyra, and Emily sit around drinking and laughing about how they dodged that bullet.

Liz called Zac and Dylan "Dumb and Dumber." Heh. The dumb one is your man!

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Not only does Kyra say "like" all of the time but now she's started to say "at the end of the day" when it's totally nonsensical and now she has got Weston saying it too.

Something like "Weston is a great friend, at the end of the day, but at the end of the day, like I'm like attracted to him at the end of the day, so I should ask him out at the end of the day."  Oh goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

Kyra annoys me more with every week.  This week it was forcing everybody to come listen to her story about how she's attracted to Weston.  I have to admit, I hate people like this in real life, who think that every boring thought in their brain needs to be heard by everyone.  But then again I am a lot older than her.  Even if I was 22 I don't think I could bear to listen to this.  The montage of Alexandra and Elizabeth screaming at her about how great she is was horrible.

Is Weston balding already?

So Yamen is a Toronto Raptors fan, and Eric is definitely from Toronto!  Pretty cool.  I didn't expect the Canadian representation on this show.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

It's official, Weston is the worse kind of douche because he plays the goofy, lovable, sweet guy but I feel he liked to Kelsey about his conversation with Emily...I don't think he ever gave Emily the impression that he was happy with Kelsey and not really looking for other connections. The moment he got a date with Emily, he threw Kelsey under the bus by talking about the qualities she 'lacks' in his eyes. Everyone's still on Yamen's ass because he was moving really slow with Alana because there was no obvious spark there but Weston and Kyra are divulging interest in jumping from woman to woman and everyone still thinks those two are so great.

YES!!!!!!!! (x 100000 more exclamation points)

Yamen was polite to Alana, but also kind of physically repulsed, which unfortunately I don't think he could control.  He did what the show says you're supposed to do, couple up, and then let someone go if you're not interested.  Alana is young and not good at reading body language and signs and made up a dream romance in her head about an older guy, which a lot of young women do.  Neither of what they did is criminal, and it happens.  Oh my god, your last point is so great, these people are so annoying!

• Love 3