Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Bye, Zombies

Which devastating discovery did Liv make this week? That the CDC guy was corrupt?

All the heist stuff could have been avoided by just scratching the guy. He would have been much more interested in a cure if he was a zombie.

Basically, this episode was filler and set-up for the finale. Peyton's in danger, Major's in danger, Seattle is more or less in danger.

I wonder if General Mills ever finds out the Derkins woman was the one who facilitated his daughter's death? I'm about 99% certain Don E. finds out Blaine killed Darcy and he kills Blaine for it.

I care enough about what happens to watch next week, but it is definitely time for this ride to end.

• Love 3

Man, I kind wanted to see the actual road or plane trip that the Liv/Clive/Ravi trio had to take, because going from Seattle to Atlanta is no small trip!

Definitely felt a bit fillerish, but I enjoyed the heist riffs, and especially seeing the core three together.  As much as I like the entire cast, Rose McIver, Malcolm Goodwin, and Rahul Kohli are just pitch-perfect together, and it was nice to see what is likely going to be the last big mission with just those three.  Plus, all of the brain stuff cracked me up (honestly wanted more of Ravi/Rahul doing that Russian accent.)  And, of course, plenty of Clive reaction shots!  And dancing!

But, of course, while they're off doing their Ocean's Eleven thing, things are just going to shit in Seattle.  Big picture, looks like the zombie/human war is finally happening.  Little picture, Major has been shot and has had Filmore Graves taken from him, and Peyton and the kids have been kidnapped by Blaine.  While the Blaine stuff is not surprising, I can safely say I never would have predicted that Enzo of all people would end up as a final season baddie/boss come endgame time.  I guess you can't take those squirrelly over-the-top French officers for granted!

I won't be surprise if they have Peyton be the one to finish off Blaine after this turn, but I still suspect that Don E. is going to find out about Darcy somehow, and that will play a major part in Blaine's downfall.

Glad to see Bozzio again.

Now, hopefully Liv, Clive, and Ravi won't get stuck in ATL or the horrible Atlanta traffic, and they'll get back in time to save the day!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I tensed up and groaned when Ravi explained the premise of the episode.  It was a variation on that ridiculous conspiracy theory that a cure for cancer exists, but "Big Pharma" is blocking it because they make more money with a cure.  This idea makes little sense in real life, but it makes even less sense when the disease is highly infectious and doesn't even have the decency to kill its host.  At least people with cancer can't give it to other people, and don't have to feed on human brains, and can't cause the downfall of civilization.

Also, I hate heist movies / TV episodes.  At least this one didn't have a bunch of lame double crosses, and everything pretty much went according to plan.

I'm looking forward to the big finale.

• Love 5

I'm probably in the minority (of the few still watching), but one of the best moments in this episode for me was seeing Major and Liv kiss, in the middle of grave-digging no less. They quickly addressed the big issues (Liv turning him into a zombie to save his life, Major kidnapping her to save her life) before realizing that they still love each other and can forgive each other. Sure, it was a bit manipulative by the writers, but knowing that you may die and/or the world (or at least Seattle) may end shortly certainly makes you think about who is important in your life and whether it is worth holding on to grievances, even if they are justified. 

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I'm probably in the minority (of the few still watching), but one of the best moments in this episode for me was seeing Major and Liv kiss, in the middle of grave-digging no less. They quickly addressed the big issues (Liv turning him into a zombie to save his life, Major kidnapping her to save her life) before realizing that they still love each other and can forgive each other. Sure, it was a bit manipulative by the writers, but knowing that you may die and/or the world (or at least Seattle) may end shortly certainly makes you think about who is important in your life and whether it is worth holding on to grievances, even if they are justified. 

I liked that, too. I came here to mention that. I don't understand why they kept them apart, considering they've had that realization before. I assumed they were together when she made him dinner, early on this season, but can't remember why. They are so sweet together, and the only reason they didn't get married, was Blaine doing his thing on the boat, scratching people. 

I'm going to miss the show, just because I like everyone involved in it, on the show and off. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Ray Adverb said:

I tensed up and groaned when Ravi explained the premise of the episode.  It was a variation on that ridiculous conspiracy theory that a cure for cancer exists, but "Big Pharma" is blocking it because they make more money with a cure.  This idea makes little sense in real life, but it makes even less sense when the disease is highly infectious and doesn't even have the decency to kill its host.  At least people with cancer can't give it to other people, and don't have to feed on human brains, and can't cause the downfall of civilization.

This difference is between curing a disease and controlling the symptoms of a disease. You only get paid once if you cure the disease, but you can continue to get paid if you never cure the disease and only cure the symptoms of the disease every time they flair up.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

This difference is between curing a disease and controlling the symptoms of a disease. You only get paid once if you cure the disease, but you can continue to get paid if you never cure the disease and only cure the symptoms of the disease every time they flair up.

The logic is superficially sound, but it would mean there are eventually thousands of people who know about the cure and choose to hurt people by giving them an inferior product. It's plain stupid to think that a conspiracy to hold back a cancer cure could exist when so many people know close family and friends who are affected by it.

In terms of the zombie virus, the "treatment" would be useless. Zombies are a public health problem. Being a zombie mostly sucks if you don't have brains. You can't rely on them taking an anti-zombie pill on a regular basis. Blaine certainly made sure he turned back to zombie as soon as possible.

This is so common in entertainment, it's a trope https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WithholdingTheCure

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

I tensed up and groaned when Ravi explained the premise of the episode.  It was a variation on that ridiculous conspiracy theory that a cure for cancer exists, but "Big Pharma" is blocking it because they make more money with a cure.

I had the same reaction, only my train of thought went immediately to a cure for HIV.

• Love 2

I don't think there are any secret cures out there but the fact of the matter is cancer is a huge moneymaker.  PInktober makes LOADS of money for a lot of people that aren't even tangentially involved in the cancer business but most of the money that actually gets to the cause (a small percentage) most of that goes to awareness... which is fine except at this point everybody is aware of cancer and that money would be better spent researching treatment and cures for metastatic breast cancer and not promoting the myth that early detection saves lives.   

The idea that big business would like to find a way to exploit the zombie market is absolutely believable.  I'm less convinced the CDC would be in on the job especially when their "treatment" idea doesn't have a working model where Ravi's cure does.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

It did feel like they were trying to get a lot of things in position in this episode.  It required more hand waving than usual from me.  I would think that a doctor who wants to make big money in shady pharmaceutical deals would work in the private sector, not the public sector.  I think Fillmore Graves would be able to keep a shipping containing full of machine guns out of the city.  Old Blaine would have had a better kidnapping plan than bringing Don E as his only back-up.

Still, I always enjoy the main characters.  The restart with Major and Liv was good, if sudden.  Ravi going full zombie for the first time was great.  And I'm glad we seemed to have now dispensed with the case of the week.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Paloma said:

As soon as that graveyard scene got going and they started talking, I was yelling at the tv "KISS HER YOU FOOL"!!!!!!   This was an awesome episode on so many levels, very entertaining. I've enjoyed this series from day one, and will miss it when it's gone.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

It did feel like they were trying to get a lot of things in position in this episode.  It required more hand waving than usual from me.  I would think that a doctor who wants to make big money in shady pharmaceutical deals would work in the private sector, not the public sector.  I think Fillmore Graves would be able to keep a shipping containing full of machine guns out of the city.  Old Blaine would have had a better kidnapping plan than bringing Don E as his only back-up.

Still, I always enjoy the main characters.  The restart with Major and Liv was good, if sudden.  Ravi going full zombie for the first time was great.  And I'm glad we seemed to have now dispensed with the case of the week.

As far as the guns, I'm assuming that the airspace above Seattle is restricted and that military flights are the only ones allowed. Since General Mills (ha ha) wants to kill all zombies, he likely arranged for a secret air drop just inside the city.

In an amoral sense, it would be better for everyone in Seattle to kill each other rather than dropping a nuke that would make the land uninhabitable. Also, there are still fewer zombies than living people and the dead enders could eventually win after enough human casualties.

Edited by ketose
15 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I agree with this whole paragraph.  Very likable cast (although Blaine's character should have expired a few years ago).  I had noticed some small touches - looks across the table at the safe place, body language etc. - throughout the season that suggested Major and Liv had feelings.  Major's pep talk was nice.  I was taken by surprise when Ravi went full zombie - that was well done.  This episode showed how much can get told without the case of the week.  It really allowed the episode to flow.

I do think the show has run its course and it is time to end, but I will miss the characters.  I wish the finale was two hours.  They still have a lot to do.

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, CCTC said:

I wish the finale was two hours.  They still have a lot to do.

I was thinking that when we got to the end of this episode. I doubt they can wrap things up in a satisfactory way in an hour, but I'm hoping they do.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Paloma said:

I was thinking that when we got to the end of this episode. I doubt they can wrap things up in a satisfactory way in an hour, but I'm hoping they do.

I think they can wrap it up in five minutes. If there's a mass deployment of the zombie cure, there's nothing to fight over. Even Blaine has no reason to keep the kids. Knowing Blaine, they'll still need to be rescued.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ketose said:

I think they can wrap it up in five minutes. If there's a mass deployment of the zombie cure, there's nothing to fight over.

But I don't see how they can get from just one test tube (or whatever it is) of the stuff they got from the lab to mass production and deployment of a cure in a short time. I'm sure they will figure out a way to make it happen, but not sure it will be believable. 

• Love 1

They might do a flash forward, so we don't have to see them ramping up production. I think the biggest drama isn't going to be the manufacture of the cure, but rescuing Peyton and the kids, Major getting the Max Rager, and then... would anyone trust them with a cure after the vaccine fiasco?

• Love 2

I think they finally lost me with this episode.  They LOVE Blaine so damn much that they had to turn Peyton into a sniveling coward (and let their "pet" kill someone else) to move the plot forward.  That one scene sickened me.

Considering that most of the finale will be the zombie-human war that I've been fast-forwarding through, and that whatever they have planned for Blaine can't be anywhere near enough, I'm not sure I'll even bother with the crapfest this show has turned into.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Peyton into a sniveling coward (and let their "pet" kill someone else) to move the plot forward.  That one scene sickened me.

That was unexpected to me. I really thought she was going to punch him in the face any minute but she was all crying, cowering and just not like herself.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

That was unexpected to me. I really thought she was going to punch him in the face any minute but she was all crying, cowering and just not like herself.

The Peyton is a badass myth is kind of a later seasons thing. She responded to Liv revealing her secret by running away in the first season.

Over the last day or so, an annoying thought has come to mind. With a cure, everyone goes back, Liv stops doing Clive's job for him and the main characters have to try to reset their lives. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the writers have the flash drive and the Max Rager warehouse destroyed. Then, the lesson will be about "tolerance" and how humans and zombies have to live together.

That would suck.

• Love 2

Blaine really has to die.

I liked the heist, but Circ d Sole brains? I could eat Aaron Rodgers brain, I still couldn't throw a pinpoint 50 yard pass. Or scramble out of a Linebackers grasp.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, edhopper said:

Blaine really has to die.

I liked the heist, but Circ d Sole brains? I could eat Aaron Rodgers brain, I still couldn't throw a pinpoint 50 yard pass. Or scramble out of a Linebackers grasp.

Luckily, they also have zombie strength.

• Love 1

Over It Russian hacker brain is totally my favorite Ravi brain, absolutely. The circumstances of the heist were pretty ridiculous (how much more shit just HAS to go wrong?!) but I love Liv/Clive/Ravi plots, so I was happy to get one last adventure before we leave. 

Blaine is such an awful piece of crap, how is that still surprising to Peyton at this point? He was literally introduced murdering homeless children to harvest their brains. I suspect that Don E will kill him when he finds out he killed his girlfriend, and good riddance. 

That grave robbing romance scene (heee!) with Liv and Major made me actually squee I admit it. I've always really liked them, and have always felt that even when they were with other people or not happy with each other, they still loved each other and if Liv hadn't been scratched, they would probably be happily married right now. I like that they acknowledged that they did very questionable things to each other for what seemed like good reasons at the time, and maybe that was messed up but they can forgive each other now and admit that they still love and want each other. The kiss was a solid one too, they have some good chemistry that we haven't gotten to see much of lately! 

I just hope all of that isn't foreshadowing some major sadness for them during the last episode.

• Love 3
On 7/26/2019 at 9:45 AM, AnimeMania said:

We've cured measles, polio, smallpox, and a couple forms of cancer, even though there theoretically would have been more money in repeated treatments.

Plus, Big Pharma is not a singular entity.  If, say, AstraZeneca got their hands on a cure for cancer, they could reap huge profits and make Eli Lilly eat their lunch.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2019 at 7:58 PM, AngelKitty said:

The thing they took from the lab was a flashdrive with the formula they needed.

So they don't even have to start back home to pass along the cure?

On 7/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, ketose said:

In an amoral sense, it would be better for everyone in Seattle to kill each other rather than dropping a nuke that would make the land uninhabitable.

The military has nukes that are designed to avoid that problem. Seattle would be General Mills' chance to see how well they actually work.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2019 at 3:58 AM, ketose said:

The Peyton is a badass myth is kind of a later seasons thing. She responded to Liv revealing her secret by running away in the first season.

The thing as that she's grown ... as has Liv.  The Liv of Season 1 wouldn't and couldn't be Renegade.   They need to write for the Peyton of now, not the Peyton of 5 years ago.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:58 AM, ketose said:

With a cure, everyone goes back...

Would everyone go back though?  Unless they snuck the cure into the air or something, I'm sure there would be a few who wanted to remain zombies (such as the people with incurable diseases).  For that matter, Liv has a pretty cool job as long as she's a zombie, with easy access to brains.  If Major doesn't take the cure (for whatever reason), why would Liv?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Would everyone go back though?  Unless they snuck the cure into the air or something, I'm sure there would be a few who wanted to remain zombies (such as the people with incurable diseases).  For that matter, Liv has a pretty cool job as long as she's a zombie, with easy access to brains.  If Major doesn't take the cure (for whatever reason), why would Liv?

I don't think it could be voluntary. Enzo and his zombie supremacists still want to be zombies and will probably continue to hold Seattle hostage to do it. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ketose said:

I don't think it could be voluntary. Enzo and his zombie supremacists still want to be zombies and will probably continue to hold Seattle hostage to do it. 

IIRC, Major took the cure and was re-zombified.  So, they'll have to get everyone at once through some stealth method, and keep a lookout for those like Enzo, or they'll have pretty much the same problem in a very short amount of time.

• Love 1

I know Liv used to do these voiceovers early in the show. I particularly remember them during the Lowell-induced angst fest. Butt that opening monologue just brought home how much they've effed up this show with their convoluted writing. So much of this was unnecessary. Most of it. Most of it was unnecessary.

I'm sorry, what? Ravi sent ALL the tainted Utopium AND the formula to Charli without making any kind of copies? It's not like there was only one vial and copy machines don't exist. Hell, just use a pencil and write it down. The whole point of Martin was he kept exhaustive, detailed notes. Gargh. If the characters are going to be this stupid... I can't. They wouldn't have to go through all this nonsense because they already did their heist when they broke into Martin's house. They had the formula. I just... GARGH. This is the opposite of how you get an audience to care about the characters' plans.

With all the nonsense going on, it took the grave digging/robbing scene to remind me that we haven't had Liv/Major drama in forever. Why not get those two back together for the hell of it since the show is ending?

There's a pretty high body count for Fillmore Graves as a paramilitary force that's technically in a regular place and not a war zone. How many soldiers can they possibly have if they're constantly being gunned down and we saw how Major found new recruits? Again, everything went downhill when Vivian died. I don't understand how this operation sustains itself at all. How much of an elite team can they have? How much training can the new recruits have at this point?

Didn't Liv eat the brain of a male thief? What was with the tight satin gown and squirreling away jewelry in her bodice?

I know he's a Russian hacker... but why would he have an accent?

Also, given the high stakes, Liv and Ravi really can't manage to fight the influence of the brains? They've done it before for lesser reasons.

Really? Late at night and Ravi encounters a random blond at the CDC? How is this writing good for anyone?

How can Blaine hold up the whole Renegade operation BY HIMSELF with ONE GUN? Again, I CANNOT. Even if used all the bullets in that gun, he couldn't shoot all of them. WHAT IS HAPPENING? I'm like 75% sure we saw people in this group carrying weapons before. I know they're kids, but can't one of those many extras go grab a gun? A kitchen knife would do. There's no reason Blaine should be holding them all hostage.

This is just nonsense. There are too many anonymous extras. I'm glad that shoot out was short. It was going to be too confusing figuring who was on which team if it went on much longer.

Also, what in the hell? Major can kill Justin and Frenchie can kill Martin but Major can't just shoot Frenchie? Just do it. He's a complete waste of space as a character. I have no idea why they kept him on the show this long. The character isn't funny. He's not a good actor. It's tiresome.

Speaking of just going for it, you can't tell me no undercover zombie has even been within scratching distance of Dottie. I know, there was the whole guillotine nonsense with Chase about zombies turning humans for a while but given all her fuckery, you can't tell me no one wanted to just scratch her. This is one of the many problems when you define the rules of your universe like this. NO, it's not like being gay or race or any number of other clumsy metaphors they've tried to apply. It's not even like being one of the X-Men mutants. It's a transmittable disease. Glorp. I feel like my brain is melting. I can't with this.

Why was Liv still wearing the big brown wig on the actual heist? If she wanted to conceal her identity, she could have at least switched to a bob. There's a reason people wear ponytails or cut their hair short when they are in active lines of work.

Poor Major. Woobie till the end. Now they need to do ANOTHER heist? I can't. A show about disease with two medical examiners/doctors should have been about SCIENCE. Who decided the show should end with all these guns and heists. I CAN'T.

• Love 3

That's a good point. There's a difference between knowledge and what your physical body is capable of. You could have the thoughts, personality, memory, etc. of a ballerina and be able to understand a ballet and maybe even choreograph one. But your body still wouldn't be able to dance the same way because it simply hasn't been conditioned by years of training. I feel like generally the show has stayed on the safe side of this line with zombies not acquiring physical skills/abilities but I'm sure they've at least bent the rules before.

The thing as that she's grown ... as has Liv.  The Liv of Season 1 wouldn't and couldn't be Renegade.   They need to write for the Peyton of now, not the Peyton of 5 years ago.

YUP. This.

Would everyone go back though?  Unless they snuck the cure into the air or something, I'm sure there would be a few who wanted to remain zombies (such as the people with incurable diseases).  

There hasn't been enough of a cure to go around for them to explain this but do you think the people who wanted to be smuggled into Seattle to be turned into zombies to cure a disease would still have that disease if they were cured of zombieism? If you have late stage cancer and you're "cured" by being turned into a zombie, I think all that means is that you're prevented from dying. The cancer cells would still be in your body. But then again we haven't seen anyone walking around coughing dramatically so maybe becoming a zombie is such an immune system booster that you're magically cured of illness. In that case, if you're turned back into a human, that disease has somehow been eradicated so it shouldn't still be latent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

That's a good point. There's a difference between knowledge and what your physical body is capable of. You could have the thoughts, personality, memory, etc. of a ballerina and be able to understand a ballet and maybe even choreograph one. But your body still wouldn't be able to dance the same way because it simply hasn't been conditioned by years of training. I feel like generally the show has stayed on the safe side of this line with zombies not acquiring physical skills/abilities but I'm sure they've at least bent the rules before.

YUP. This.

There hasn't been enough of a cure to go around for them to explain this but do you think the people who wanted to be smuggled into Seattle to be turned into zombies to cure a disease would still have that disease if they were cured of zombieism? If you have late stage cancer and you're "cured" by being turned into a zombie, I think all that means is that you're prevented from dying. The cancer cells would still be in your body. But then again we haven't seen anyone walking around coughing dramatically so maybe becoming a zombie is such an immune system booster that you're magically cured of illness. In that case, if you're turned back into a human, that disease has somehow been eradicated so it shouldn't still be latent.

I wondered if Livs devastating discovery was that she was dying in truth— if zombism has and end point. But guess not. 

(edited)

First of all, I'll never say no to more of Clive dancing.

Although Rob Thomas likes using Veronica Mars actors on iZombie, I've felt that the shows have distinct tones that are different from each other. There are definitely some things that are similar, but usually I have no problem keeping them separate. For some reason, this week's opening voiceover really reminded me of Veronica Mars.

This definitely felt like exactly what it was - the set up for the big finale. Liv, Ravi, and Clive almost have the cure, Major, Peyton, and the Freylich's kids are in danger, and the zombie/human war has begun. I don't know how they're going to wrap everything up in one episode, but I hope it's as enjoyable as this week's heist was.

I was afraid that Don E. would double cross Liv and Ravi and give them a boring accountant's brain instead of the Cirque du Soleil and ninja warrior brains they requested.

My favorite thing about this show is all the friendships. Despite the fact that I think the show went off the rails with all of this Fillmore Graves stuff, I will still miss Liv's relationships with Ravi, Clive, Peyton, and Major. Clive was so beside himself with pent up sadness when he gave Liv the info about the brains because he loves her and he was a little afraid that he would never see her again, so I was glad when Dale sent him off to join them for one last adventure.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4
On 7/31/2019 at 5:46 AM, aradia22 said:

Lord only knows.  As far as I recall, no one who was zombified then re-humanfied had any illness or disease or even an injury, so there's no real way of knowing.

• Love 1

Still getting caught up in my iZombie viewing...

In agreement with everyone above that the relationships are what keep the show watchable. I loved the Liv/ Major grave digging scene, and the entire Clive/ Liv/ Ravi heist... Clive is adorable, and I will handwave that Ravi adopted the Russian accent just to annoy Liv, and not because the brain compelled him to.

But the heist itself... they went to all that trouble specifically so Ravi could hack the computer and switch Charli's retinal scan with Saxon's... and then when Ravi (and his impeccable American accent) alerts Saxon that there's a breach, Saxon gets into the room via retinal scan with no issue. What!? Did I miss something where Ravi didn't need to return to cat lady's office to reset the retinal scan? 

7 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

they went to all that trouble specifically so Ravi could hack the computer and switch Charli's retinal scan with Saxon's... and then when Ravi (and his impeccable American accent) alerts Saxon that there's a breach, Saxon gets into the room via retinal scan with no issue. What!? Did I miss something where Ravi didn't need to return to cat lady's office to reset the retinal scan? 

Ravi set the scan to return to Saxon's retina after it read Charli's.  Duh.

Some people just don't know how to pull off a heist.

(This actually makes a tiny bit of sense since they needed Saxon to get into the room...)

8 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Some people just don't know how to pull off a heist.

(This actually makes a tiny bit of sense since they needed Saxon to get into the room...)

I considered that, but there would have been a risk that Saxon might visit the room before they got there. Sure, I guess the chances would be slim after hours, but I think Clive might have killed them if he went through all that for nothing! Although I guess that would be a risk either way, since even if the scanner didn't reset, Saxon would have realized something was up. So, yeah-- one-time use it is!

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Considering the consequences of a mismatch, you wouldn't want any false alarms, so it's almost certain that the scanner allows multiple images to be on file for someone. That means that Ravi could add Charli's to those of Saxon, and the system would be happy to match either person.

• Love 2

The ending feels kind of rushed.  They crammed in the Three Musketeers racing to Atlanta to steal the cure back, Blaine capturing Peyton and the kids, and Enzo taking over Filmore Graves in just over forty minutes.  They still have a lot to resolve with one episode left.  I think the pacing would have been better if they had cut out one case of the week episode and made the final three episodes entirely focused on the main plot.

Edited by Dobian