Type keyword(s) to search

Daytime Emmys: This Year, It's Actually on TV…Oops, Spoke Too Soon

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh Bryan. 

ETA: don't know why the twitter link didn't pop up . . . it was him asking for a high quality video of his win.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/1/2017 at 1:47 PM, ulkis said:

Actually I don't think anyone has sucked up as hard to MB as FV has

FV has presided over some of this show's lowest ratings ever, under two separate HWs - and instead of making changes he stalks ME to a grocery store and begs him to come back to GH to try a 5th character.

MB probably has the largest remaining fanbase since all of the other males are gone, and FV doesn't want to lose those viewers

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 6

oh jeez NLG. No one gives a crap you're kissing WDV. 

1 minute ago, Oracle42 said:

FV has presided over some of this show's lowest ratings ever under two separate HWs - and instead of making changes he stalks ME to a grocery store and begs him to come back to GH to try a 5th character. MB probably has the largest remaining fanbase since all of the other males are gone, and he doesn't want to lose those viewers

If he advertised a Sonny and Franco murder mystery the ratings would probably go shooting up. :D Or maybe not but I think it's a good idea anyway!

http://stevenbergman.cortexsystem.nl/events/aa-20170430-general-hospital-post-emmy-party?page=2

NLG kissing CH too. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

FV has presided over some of this show's lowest ratings ever under two separate HWs

I blame the writing more than I blame FV. Not that he isn't a part of the problem, but it's the writers who decide the dramatic direction of the show. RC had some okay stories and some very good one-off episodes, but Passanante and Altman have shown no creative sparks at all, IMO. Plus, retconning a story we saw only a few years ago and insisting the viewers are wrong isn't the way to win fans. I hated that RC made Franco Heather and Scott's son, but he at least went back to find a time when it could have happened. The bullshit now with Jason doesn't work no matter how hard the HWs try to sell it. 

FV just keeps the show running under budget. The cheapness isn't helping things, but if the stories were better, it wouldn't matter as much.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I'm still surprised LW or NLG didn't win and stupefied that Lexi did.  

GT was excellent this year and she had some really great material. LW/NLG did great work with what they were given

31 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The cheapness isn't helping things, but if the stories were better, it wouldn't matter as much.

But would the cheapness be necessary if he hadn't added so many actors to contract roles? Could the stories be better if the writers were able to focus on fewer characters instead of dealing with FV's cast of thousands and required actors/sets? I don't think it would help much because JP/SA aren't very good but I think FV should shoulder some of the blame here

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I will never, ever understand why one EP after another has sucked up to Maurice Bernard.  It is frustrating and infuriating that this one man has so much power over a show I used to love.  As a viewer it's bad enough; but what a demoralizing, toxic work environment it must be for everyone else.  ABC sucks for letting this situation go on and on and on.

It was the same with Tony Geary. When Maurice first got on to the show, he had to put up with Tony Geary's all-pervasive influence and consequently had little "nervous breakdowns" when he had to leave the show. Each time the show weaned him back on, he got power. He and Geary and the PTB eventually got along--I'm speculating that MB helped carry the show so that Geary could take his self-indulgent long vacations--and MB's power and associative influence grew even more.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Actually I don't think anyone has sucked up as hard to MB as FV has. I think MB lost a lot of his influence later on. I wonder if it was because Soily was such an epic failure.

You must've missed the year VM returned. Lots of sucking up then too

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I'm still surprised LW or NLG didn't win and stupefied that Lexi did.  

Hey I am not surprised, because Hollywood and this show are obsessed and rabid about promoting any gay actor or any straight actor who plays a gay character, or any storyline that promotes or breaks a glass ceiling for gay themes. Lexi's had the only female gay storyline on the show, in fact often the ONLY gay storyline on the show, since the Lucas/Brad one is not majorly attended to.

While the Parker/Kristina sl was getting facetime and attention, I liked it because it was a new direction. Was disappointed when Parker backed out of it. I would have liked a really hot female/female attraction story between Alexis and Parker or even Carly and a younger actress (i.e., Carly getting disgusted with Sonny and men in general and wanting to experiment). But the egos of the male writers on this show couldn't take it, I think.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 1

What episode(s) for the show did they submit? I honestly can't think of any standouts the way I could with the anniversary ep, which was very good, even if it didn't reflect the day-to-day quality. There isn't anything JP/SA wrote that I can remember.

• Love 2

I actually don't mind Lexi's dress except for the very bottom of it. Because she's so short, I'd be afraid she'd trip and break her neck because it's so long. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm happy about Lexi's win. She deserved that award six years ago with the abuse storyline, and she was majorly snubbed. Say what you want about the writing choices for her character, but she's a  better actresses than any of the other younger talent on GH right now, imho. I just wish they'd throw her a bone these days. Sheesh! 

Edited by teenj12
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, teenj12 said:

I'm happy about Lexi's win. She deserved that award six years ago with the abuse storyline, and she was majorly snubbed. Say what you want about the writing choices for her character, but she's a  better actresses than any of the other younger talent on GH right now, imho. I just wish they'd throw her bone these days. Sheesh! 

There's hardly a younger group on gh and no one to rival her. It's not hard to be better when the competition isn't there. She was okay in the abuse scenes but her reel was terrible and her acting has been horrible since she returned.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

GT was excellent this year and she had some really great material. LW/NLG did great work with what they were given

This was very succinct and well stated.

• Love 2

I didn't watch the Emmy Awards the other night, but I'm watching them, now. Lexi looks better in Brenda's wedding gown in live-action than she did in the stills. Also, despite not thinking she should have won, I was very touched by how moved she was was while accepting the younger actress award. Her tearful acceptance was very sweet (and I think real).

Although Sheryl Underwood's objectification of Mario Lopez was gross, I think Nancy Lee Grahn should have given her a break. It was obviously scripted because it was evident both Underwood and Lopez were reading from a teleprompter for at least 90% of it. Call out the production, NLG, not the poor schmucks who got roped into presenting. 

I see Robert Palmer Watkins went with the sparkly plum colored suit, but since it's what he wore in the opening musical number, it made more sense (and didn't look quite terrible in that context). 

Shouldn't the Academy have chosen Latino/Latina presenters for a Spanish language programming award? MarkSteines & Debbie Matenopoulos, really, Academy? I mean, Hell, Lopez was waiting in the proverbial and literal wings. 

I only watch GH and Days, so I was happy GH won for direction. Days is nearer to my heart, but it has been a Days-Aster for the past year and a half and counting. GH is at least watchable. 

La Lucci was a vision. I would never have put her in yellow, but it works. I can't believe she is 70. She still has terrific muscle tone. I was really touched by her tribute to Agnes Nixon, and I never watched AMC or OLTL, except by accident, if I was home sick from school and there was nothing on. The video tribute to Nixon was lovely, too. I felt so sad for her family they kept cutting to, in the audience. At least her (I presume) granddaughters got to sit next to The Tree.

Despite being a soap fan, I like The Chew, and I like both Daphne Oz and Carla Hall, but what the holy heck was Oz wearing. I know she's still losing baby weight, but that red um caftan did her no favors. She needed Clinton Kelly on hand to say, "Oh girl, no." It sagged in the wrong places in the bodice and made it look like like she had 90 year old boobs. And I don't think her bust was the problem. It was the way the fabric draped. Ugh.

While I will always root for Finola Hughes, I do think Kate Mansi deserved the Emmy for that fakata exit story, and the gown she wore to the ceremony was gorgeous (but she looks painfully thin). Was that one of her "Abigail is a model" costumes?  

I can't explain why, but to me it felt rather elegant that Bryan Craig had to accept his award with 50 freaking Basset Hounds on the stage. I don't think my thoughts are as on-point as "BRY-DAWG," but can't swear otherwise. I think I'm a mean, petty person who enjoyed his moment being somewhat ridiculous, just like his turn on GH.

NLG (sober or not) was not wrong. Mary Hart's entire segment ran way too long.

I didn't want Y&R to win for writing, but I loathe B&B, and although I love Days and GH, they have not been on their game, so I'm okay with this award.

I had forgotten Peter Hansen (Lee Baldwin; GH) died this year until the In Memoriam segment. He was so handsome and such a good actor. LMAO that Valentini thanked Varni.

I'm fading, so I'm going to cut it off here, because I don't want to take the thread off topic. Still can't believe GH won, except for how it did. Also loved that Joe Mascolo (Stefano; Days) ended the deceased tribute. RIP.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/1/2017 at 11:25 AM, dubbel zout said:

I blame the writing more than I blame FV. Not that he isn't a part of the problem, but it's the writers who decide the dramatic direction of the show.

No, it's Frank at least as much as anyone else at this point. Frank had his own favorites and choices that eventually superceded Ron's (who often made equally bad choices), and to my knowledge it is largely his show these days. Passanante and Altman have always been glorified stenographers at whatever show they are allegedly HW'ing.

Frank can be great at keeping a show afloat and alive at virtually any cost, and unlike GL or ATWT or the network AMC he was usually able to keep his shows on-air without looking like they were being filmed in the bushes or in the parking lot at Big Lots - until recently, with the ever-increasing amount of super-cheap remote shoots. But the budgets keep decreasing and he can only do so much. Most importantly, he is not as skilled a creative mind/storyteller as he thinks he is. And he does not have the eye for casting that he thinks he does.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, General Days said:

I do think Kate Mansi deserved the Emmy for that fakata exit story, and the gown she wore to the ceremony was gorgeous (but she looks painfully thin).

She really did look scarily thin. It was making me uncomfortable.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:05 AM, In2You said:

Lexi won with these incredible scenes in her reel

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That's also me when I watch someone forgive Sonny for something unforgiveable.... again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I almost always disagree with Emmy winners and this is no exception. Lexi Ainsworth? NO. I don't even watch Y&R anymore, but Scott Clifton better than PB? NO. Not even close.

GH best show? Well, there are only four, so.....still, NO.

But then to me, the Emmys have been a joke for decades now.

• Love 2

oh jeez NLG. No one gives a crap you're kissing WDV. 

SHE does. She thinks it actually matters. The thirstiness and need for self validation from this woman is SO sad.

There's hardly a younger group on gh and no one to rival her. It's not hard to be better when the competition isn't there. She was okay in the abuse scenes but her reel was terrible and her acting has been horrible since she returned.

That's exactly it, she hardly had any competition. Is winning a best "anything" award all that impressive anyway these days for daytime Emmys? Maybe during the days when there were 13 soaps on the air, but now? NAH.

Yeah. At least they had KeMo present early, before she was too lit.

Thank Goodness for small favors, I guess. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I almost always disagree with Emmy winners and this is no exception. Lexi Ainsworth? NO. I don't even watch Y&R anymore, but Scott Clifton better than PB? NO. Not even close.

GH best show? Well, there are only four, so.....still, NO.

But then to me, the Emmys have been a joke for decades now.

Bryan Craig continuing to win any damn thing tells me everything I need to know.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Bryan Craig continuing to win any damn thing tells me everything I need to know.

The younger actor category is definitely a joke. Well, the only categories worth a damn imo are lead and supporting acting (of both genders).

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

Daytime Emmys should be on Comedy Central. They can't be taken seriously. There are actors who are doing excellent, committed work but reading the nominee list just makes me go WTF.

• Love 3
On 4/10/2018 at 2:13 PM, ulkis said:

Kristen. Alderson. is on the judging panel.

I thought she was out of the business completely, and living in Philly again? Weird. 

(To be fair, one can be good at judging another's talent while being blind to their own failings at the same thing. It happens.)

In honor of the recently departed Aretha Franklin, from the 2005 Daytime Emmys: she and Eric Braeden present the Outstanding Daytime Drama Series Award to GH, only for JFP to be infamously cut off!

I was 16 when that aired and I'll NEVER forget it.

• Love 1

Good grief. He's terrible. I mean, TERRIBLE. When does he die? Michelle Stafford getting one is also laughable. With any luck, DZ will get the nom, they will realize what they lost, get him back, and actually utilize him. 

Hahaha. Sometimes I say silly things. I can dream, though.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Took the words right out of my mouth.  I can't even imagine what's on his reel.

You didn't think it was stellar work when he thrashed around on a bed for two months and almost got killed by a spider?

• Love 3