Type keyword(s) to search

Daytime Emmys: This Year, It's Actually on TV…Oops, Spoke Too Soon

• Start Topic

I'm sorry that the Daytime Emmys are supposed to be a way of rewarding participants in this genre because each year it becomes more and more of a farce and embarrassment. There are only four soaps left so it's not hard to see all of them and be aware of who's doing good work and who is failing abysmally at their task. The fans know what's up with these shows, obviously the Emmy judges are clueless. Every year I'm astounded by the choices made.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Does that mean his wife can STFU about how he constantly gets robbed? 

did she seriously say that??? I guess it isn't remotely possible that someone else might be better than him in any given year?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think MB is Emmy-worthy, but I can see how carefully chosen scenes could impress people who don't watch the trainwreck on a daily or even semiregular basis.

Yeah, I’m sure he submitted scenes where Sonny’s crying over Mike.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Does that mean his wife can STFU about how he constantly gets robbed? 

He won once already, in 2003. Paula can chill the fuck out. 

And in 1997, he deigned to submit himself into the Supporting Actor category (how fucking noble of him! whatever) instead of Lead Actor, in order to improve his chances--only to get his ass beat by Ian Buchanan, who may have been on B&B at the time as James, but I choose to take as proof that the soap gods know that Duke is the only acceptable mobster in PC, and that's that. HA! 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 5/6/2019 at 12:07 AM, WendyCR72 said:

The Daytime Emmys have been a joke for years now. This just reinforces it.

In terms of the soaps, yes (although I hesitate to single them out completely, as I'm sure there were winners even in the glory days who were deemed questionable by viewers; that's true of any awards show, really--and even then, I hate to feel like I'm chastising those soap actors who have won recently and actually deserve it, as I'm sure some have!). However, there ARE other shows, namely talk shows, game shows and children's shows, where I would argue that the nominees and winners very much are NOT jokes at all, in large part because they have more programming options available. I hate the idea of shutting out deserving people in the soap industry just because of how small the number of soaps is today--if nothing else, it's certainly not the fault of the actors (TPTB, yes, at least in most cases). Maybe a situation where each show hands out their own awards, dumb as I'll admit I feel suggesting it? I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, UYI said:

In terms of the soaps, yes (although I hesitate to single them out completely, as I'm sure there were winners even in the glory days who were deemed questionable by viewers; that's true of any awards show, really--and even then, I hate to feel like I'm chastising those soap actors who have won recently and actually deserve it, as I'm sure some have!). However, there ARE other shows, namely talk shows, game shows and children's shows, where I would argue that the nominees and winners very much are NOT jokes at all, in large part because they have more programming options available. I hate the idea of shutting out deserving people in the soap industry just because of how small the number of soaps is today--if nothing else, it's certainly not the fault of the actors (TPTB, yes, at least in most cases). Maybe a situation where each show hands out their own awards, dumb as I'll admit I feel suggesting it? I don't know. 

I was mainly just denoting the daytime drama categories, but you bring up some good points otherwise. However, with the aforementioned soaps, I feel it is a joke now because there really is no way to delineate the deserving with so few soaps left, so the "judging" seems much more about the name recognition and past glories than the actual performances given now. What with always nominating every show now, it feels more like a participation trophy than it does an actual awards ceremony

• Love 1
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

I was mainly just denoting the daytime drama categories, but you bring up some good points otherwise. However, with the aforementioned soaps, I feel it is a joke now because there really is no way to delineate the deserving with so few soaps left, so the "judging" seems much more about the name recognition and past glories than the actual performances given now. What with always nominating every show now, it feels more like a participation trophy than it does an actual awards ceremony

I was just trying to think of a solution that might keep good shows or performances from being overlooked should the Daytime Emmys ever formally eliminate their categories. I'll admit upfront that my thinking is probably VERY flawed. 🙂 

1 minute ago, UYI said:

I was just trying to think of a solution that might keep good shows or performances from being overlooked should the Daytime Emmys ever formally eliminate their categories. I'll admit upfront that my thinking is probably VERY flawed. 🙂 

No, just optimistic. Nothing wrong with that!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Hater said:

Maurice also looked really sloppy in that unkempt suit. 

and, he could barely walk up the steps to the stage. He was even in the front row and is only 56 years old. Yikes!!

42 minutes ago, ulkis said:

He has seemed really tired on scren lately. The idea of this guy expecting a baby is ridiculous.

When you say “this guy” do you mean Mooby or Maurice? Because Tony Randall became a father at 70; Anthony Quinn at 80. By those examples, Mooby’s Fairly a Spring Chicken!🤪😆😆 Not that I like what’s happening. Mooby has more than enough spawn on this show.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

When you say “this guy” do you mean Mooby or Maurice? Because Tony Randall became a father at 70; Anthony Quinn at 80. By those examples, Mooby’s Fairly a Spring Chicken!🤪😆😆 Not that I like what’s happening. Mooby has more than enough spawn on this show.

Very true. And Mick Jagger at freaking 77 is expecting his 1,000th kid with a new girlfriend - and after heart surgery. That being said, Randall and Quinn dropped dead not long after fathering their kids (all in Randall's case, the final kid for Quinn), so maybe they aren't the best examples to use? LOL!

As for Mick, maybe he is borrowing whatever it is that is keeping Keith Richards around. 😉

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Very true. And Mick Jagger at freaking 77 is expecting his 1,000th kid with a new girlfriend - and after heart surgery. That being said, Randall and Quinn dropped dead not long after fathering their kids (all in Randall's case, the final kid for Quinn), so maybe they aren't the best examples to use? LOL!

As for Mick, maybe he is borrowing whatever it is that is keeping Keith Richards around. 😉

Actually, Tony Randall's kids were born in 1997 and 1998 respectively, and he didn't die until 2004. Meanwhile, Anthony Quinn's final two kids were born in 1993 and 1996 respectively, and he didn't die until 2001. So it wasn't THAT soon after for either of them. Their kids were still young, but I'm just saying. 😉 

Nonetheless, Sonny does NOT need more kids, I think we can ALL agree with that! 🙂 

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Want me to blow your mind? President Tyler, the tenth president of the US, still has 2 living grandsons. Tyler became a father late in life and then his son became a father late in life. So, a man who was president before the civil war, before Texas joined the union, who was born 14 years after we became a country, has 2 grandsons who are still alive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2019 at 10:19 AM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Want me to blow your mind? President Tyler, the tenth president of the US, still has 2 living grandsons. Tyler became a father late in life and then his son became a father late in life. So, a man who was president before the civil war, before Texas joined the union, who was born 14 years after we became a country, has 2 grandsons who are still alive.

There are approximately 16 million direct descendants of Genghis Khan on this planet as we speak.

Sonny Corinthos is trying his damndest to break that record, though.  ;)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 8:57 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Mick already had that baby and he looks just like him:

PAY-PROD-MAIN-3-Stones.jpg

• Love 1

So GH only took Emmys for directing and for Tamara Braun's lackluster Kim character? Why am I not at all surprised?

That said, I also read former GH'er (now on Y&R) Jason Thompson actually won Lead Actor. Good for him. That being said, these all seem - at least for soaps - like participation trophies now.

Oh, well!

• Love 5

TB got some pretty good scenes out of the Oscar story, even if overall it was a mess for Kim.

Except for the fight scenes, which I'm sure are terrible mostly because there's little to no time for rehearsal, I think the directing team of GH does a good job. I think the shaky hand camera is overused, but I like that at least they're trying to do more than just point a camera and shoot.

Good for JT!

• Love 4

Yay, JT won an emmy! He and his family were totally adorable. (Though I was rooting for JL.). At least Joss didn't win! Boo, MW should have won! 

Um, what's going on with Mo and that woman? 

Wait, there is some web show out there with Sean Kanan and the Diane actress?

• Love 3
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

I wondered about that, too. How weird that they were together. I guess perhaps they are neighbors.

Even if they are neighbors... that did not look like social distancing to me. Also, I think he actually looks better with some gray in the hair. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

Even if they are neighbors... that did not look like social distancing to me. 

Exactly lol. My sister was like, maybe they live together, and I was like why would that woman from B&B live with MB, his wife, and their children lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Um, what's going on with Mo and that woman? 

6 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Mo looks so old. I thought maybe it was a green screen that brought him and that actress together. 

Some publicist from Bold & Beautiful confirmed that they were in the same room together. Doesn't seem like a good idea. And doesn't it defeat the entire purpose of having this virtually to begin with?

• Useful 1

I could tell they were actually together and it was just kind of shocking seeing as the whole event was designed to be socially distanced. Then bam there they are at the very end together without any explanation. Way to set an example! 

• Love 1

GH led this year's noms:

Mo, SBu, and DZ got nommed for lead actor.

Genie, NLG and Finola got lead actress noms.

Supporting: Carolyn Hennesy, Briana Henry, JPS, Jeff Kober and Max Gail.

Young performer: Tahj Bellow, Katelyn MacMullen and Sydney Mikayla

Guest performer: Kim Delaney and Brianna Lane.

Also got best show, writing and directing.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

WL not getting a nom totally sucks, as he deserves one.

On the plus side, LW's 'handome fella" is nowhere to be found, so that's a plus.

Ditto for LW 🤮

• Love 4

I been thinking about this for a while, but it looks like Daytime Emmys were the canary in the coal mine for Awards shows in general not a black swan event, so they are ahead of the curve again. It hasn't guaranteed if the Daytime will be televised since Lucci won and now the Golden Globes won't be televised and the Oscars took a huge tumble in ratings. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Seriously. He did excellent work. I don't think TJ had nearly the story Cam did.

Well, TJ had that one scene on that one day where he confronted Jordan about Cyrus kidnapping him. Of course, I could be totally misremembering that. That said, I agree that Lipton had more overall quality work. Maybe, they don’t like the way he scrunches his face when he attempts to cry. Dude isn’t good in the crying department. Truth be told. I don’t think any of the teen set should have gotten nominated. They are soooo boring. I wish they all go to college in California and bring on another set of teens. How about giving Emma a chance and hav her live with Anna full time. At least, she’s really related to Anna. 

• Love 1

It's impressive that Brianna Lane got a nomination out of being a temp recast. That can't be something that's happened often. 

There's no tactful way to say this, but some of these nominations suggest that people were filling out ballots and didn't want to have categories with an all-white list of names in the present climate.

• Useful 1

My theory is that since there are A LOT less soaps than there used to be, the pool is tiny and everyone eventually gets nominated, even Jordan and her eyebrows lol

It’s like tennis camp when I was little - everyone gets a trophy - even myself, who had a tendency to run screaming from the ball.

• LOL 8

Rats. Trina didn't win.

Willow actress seems too old for this category. Time to adjust.

Yay max Gail.

Niscelle from entertainment tonight wth? Wearing a dress that looks like it's from junior high prom. Too small in chest area. Good grief.

• Love 1

No audience shots. No audience reaction to the winners. The applause might as well have been canned for the lack of emotion in it. Seems like the winners were told in advance. Either that or all the nominees were brought backstage to wait for the results.

I dunno it didn’t seem like much of an awards show. Even the speeches were lame.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am thrilled that GH took best soap. I know it's (sadly) not a popular opinion, but I think that GH is a pretty darn good soap. There's a lot of great character development that stems from plots and storylines. A lot of different characters are interacting, some interesting love stories are developing, there's been some great course corrections on issues. And even the Sonny/Carly/Jason triumverate has been shaken up and isn't swallowing the show the way it has been for years. Sure, we still see them tons, and Nixon Falls isn't exactly bringing down the house. BUT, it's something different.

Jason and Britt are great, Carly as the Mob Moll wanting to be in charge and liking the power is something new. The Willow/Michael story is tedious and Joss as a mini-shebeast is horrific, but really other than that, I'm enjoying everything else so very much. It's juicy, it's soapy, it's angsty, it's so much fun. I look forward to the show every day. I was so bummed when I found out it was pre-empted today!

Edited by driver18
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Sake614 said:

No audience shots. No audience reaction to the winners. The applause might as well have been canned for the lack of emotion in it. Seems like the winners were told in advance. Either that or all the nominees were brought backstage to wait for the results.

I dunno it didn’t seem like much of an awards show. Even the speeches were lame.

The speeches were pre-recorded and all of the nominees taped one to keep it a surprise. I’m not sure why they went this route considering they were clearly able to congregate at some venue together just going by all of the pics that are posted on SM. It took away from any heartfelt or genuine moment for sure. I found the whole thing lackluster and the winners were who I (unfortunately) expected to win so I didn’t even get any good surprises out of it. 

• Love 3

I was very happy to see John Reilly listed in the In Memoriam segment (well, you know what I mean), and in a more general observation, it made me happy to see Jeopardy!'s Outstanding Game Show Host win dedicated to Alex Trebek, along with his kids accepting his final Outstanding Game Show Host win on his behalf, and the tribute that was given to him, Regis Philbin, and Larry King.