Type keyword(s) to search

Daytime Emmys: This Year, It's Actually on TV…Oops, Spoke Too Soon

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

This may be a UO, but I thought that episode made ZERO sense and was just pulled out of Ron's ass when the audience figured out his Fluke crap.

I'm just like...I can't. It's absolute comedy that they won.

It was crap. It's just that it was easier to understand as a standalone episode.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Sigh. They've destroyed so many characters and the stories they've written have been hot garbage and they've just been applauded for it. Man. That just sucks. Nothing will ever change. 

I guess I'm not as upset because I didn't think it would either way.

Aw, SN and TC:

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

It was crap. It's just that it was easier to understand as a standalone episode.

Ron is basically on the record with stating that the audience figured out Fluke was BE, so he scrapped it, and then completely retconned Luke's past and that won BEST DRAMA. You can't make this shit up.

• Love 2

Thanks for the pics and results.  I feel like when you're finally over a relationship when you wake up one morning and know that this is the day you no longer care for real.   I have no emotional attachment to the present, only to the past.  

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, TessHarding2 said:

Thanks for the pics and results.  I feel like when you're finally over a relationship when you wake up one morning and know that this is the day you no longer care for real.   I have no emotional attachment to the present, only to the past.  

I felt that way the second after Robin & Patrick exited together, happy, and with their daughter, back in January.   

I havent watched sense and have zero to do or even know generally what is going on.  I'll always treasure the time from when I started watching in '92 up thru at some point in '99, and then Scrubs, CarLo, and other characters, pairings, and stories.  But for me GH now exists solely in the past and no matter what happens it won't be part of my present or future.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Joey Lutham was awesome in the anniversary episode.   I think Ron winning GH an Emmy is like saying no one wants more Sonny.  At least, I'm taking it like that. Sigh.  Kassie was robbed again.  That really hurts my heart.  She's literally the most underrated actress in soaps today.  

Her old OLTL co star, Fiona Hutchison, is the most underrated daytime actress EVER though, IMO. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I felt that way the second after Robin & Patrick exited together, happy, and with their daughter, back in January.   

I havent watched sense and have zero to do or even know generally what is going on.  I'll always treasure the time from when I started watching in '92 up thru at some point in '99, and then Scrubs, CarLo, and other characters, pairings, and stories.  But for me GH now exists solely in the past and no matter what happens it won't be part of my present or future.

5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I feel you on this completely.

Thank you.  It's sad.  I remember my best friend begging me to watch GH (after L&L rape).  I said Not me! I'm not going with what's popular.  Then the first GH I ever saw was the day L&L were in the police station when they returned from the Left Handed Boy.  I thought what craziness, what's going to happen tomorrow? And watched every day from mid 1980 through 2002.  I'd watch when Genie would return.  Then one day I turned it on in 2010 and began my tour of hate watching.  I was finished when Luke left.  I peaked when Easton returned.  They don't want a fan like me, they want people who like one minute scenes.

• Love 3

After watching various reels I can't help thinking Kristoff St. John got robbed tonight, but his might have been the least overtly manipulative (and admittedly shortest) of all the Lead Actor reels.  Tony Geary and, amazingly even more so, Tyler Christopher's reels were exactly the sort of Emmy bait I'd expect--and, to be fair, Tyler did okay with what he was given.  (That said...I wasn't watching GH at the time, so was that story where they started pimping Shriners Hospitals for Children?  Because if so...wow.)

• Love 2

Tyler thanked Stephen? Stephen did a pic beaming like a proud Papa? *fans self* I won't cry, I won't cry, I won't cry for Stefan and Nikolas and my Cassadine family.

• Love 6
(edited)

Tyler Christopher really???. He has been asleep on screen for years.  At least it wasnt Tony.

And GH won best show..........Okay.

I knew BC was going to win so no surprise. I`m sure his fiance is thrilled. Whatever.

Edited by backhometome
  • Love 2

I was ob a plane all day yesterday so only read the results when I landed in Hawaii. So BC actually won, huh? Well fherell be no living with him now!  And Tyler and Sean too? Oy vey. Since the awards are judged as one-offs for show and not in context, it makes sense that GH won for best show. The anniversary show was well written and featured sone of the best acting I've seen in ages. I just wish someone else had been HW at the time because now, between the WGA win and this, Ron feels vindicated, and he has no right because most of his writing sucked.

• Love 2

What's more disconcerting to me about Tyler Christopher's win is that I fear this means the writers will continue to lean into writing Nikolas as the douchetron asshat of the last year or so.

And yeah, I can see why - divorced of the agonizing, annoying, year plus-long buildup - the anniversary episode could and did win, although it's demoralizing when you remember that most of the great acting in that episode was from the guest stars (and Laura Wright, to be fair).

• Love 8
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

What's more disconcerting to me about Tyler Christopher's win is that I fear this means the writers will continue to lean into writing Nikolas as the douchetron asshat of the last year or so.

Not just Nik. All the characters they've written OOC and ridiculous. Stories that make no sense and have the drama sucked out of them. The retconning that now happens from episode to episode. All this will continue. 

• Love 1

It will continue, but not because they got Emmys. Tyler didn't get an Emmy for Nikolas shooting Greenlee in the head, he got it for when Nikolas was crying over his son.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ulkis said:

It will continue, but not because they got Emmys. Tyler didn't get an Emmy for Nikolas shooting Greenlee in the head, he got it for when Nikolas was crying over his son.

I understand what you're saying, but it's just the larger picture of giving all these Emmys to a product that doesn't deserve it. And those in-charge using it as validation.

I'll rant alone in my corner, as usual. :P

• Love 4

I don't think you're ranting alone. :)

I get that it doesn't deserve it, but I guess I'm not feeling it very much because there are only 4 shows and the competition is so slight. Although I think the supporting/lead acting categories are still decent competition since all the shows are so stuffed to the gills with cast. Younger actor/actress/show/writing are lame though. Frank may let it validate him a little but he knows what's most important for the show and it's not Emmys. But yeah anyway I just don't think Frank is gonna use Emmys to be like "yes, otherwise I would have stopped all these stories!" They got shut out practically in 2013/14 and they still kept doing what they were doing. 

The whole show, for anyone curious:

http://content.jwplatform.com/previews/7sVtbNRs-KcZt9EMG

• Love 4

There are reasons to say "The hell?" over Tyler's win, but you know what? I'm going to be happy. Because I remember, long ago, just loving that character and his portrayal too. Admittedly, my happiest memories are from his 1996(?)-1999 stint, when gas was a dollar a gallon and I couldn't wait to access AOL via dial-up to talk about the show afterward. However, he has been good at times in the later years too. I'm glad he won while he still could. I think in the past he has just been nominated.  

Looking at his reel, I hate to say, the most impressive thing I saw was Becky Herbst in the hospital scenes re: Spencer. She's really good at listening and being a support.   

• Love 5

I don't know if this is Jason Thompson's "what do I need to get from the grocery story" face or his "yeah yeah whatever" face, but the cameraman must have thought it was the latter because he is the only person they cut to after Bryan Craig's speech lol.

efa7ffd5-fa41-4e4f-ab2a-22cbda606d9e_zps

• Love 11

That was his "I can't believe BC won an Emmy before I did" face. Poor JT. He really should have one by now. Should've tweeted about Frank and Mo and Teresa Castillo more, man.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

Also, Tyler Christopher is long on record as liking playing Nikolas...this way...and the Emmy might give him the cache to make sure the writing stays...this way.

In other news, what's this I hear about Frank's speech including some line where he thanks the cast, but specifically called out Maurice and Laura as the leads.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, UYI said:

GH won the Directing Team Emmy.

This might be UO, but I think they do a decent job, especially when the budget is so lean.

16 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

Bryan Craig's win was basically set up and created for him.

Yeah, Emmy bait is a real thing. If he didn't have this, he'd never have won. 

• Love 4

Eh, my UO is that he's been nominated before and should have won when there was no Emmy bait the first year. Yeah, it was a confrontation scene, but those are a dime a dozen on soaps. 

I kind of thought that they would actually cancel the soaps part of the Emmy's once they got down to four soaps. But it apparently still matters to the industry, and it did trend last night for several hours.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Artsda said:

Wow Tyler won during Geary's goodbye year.

Did people really expect TG to win this year? I always thought last year was his good-bye Emmy, even if it wasn't his final year on the show.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Did people really expect TG to win this year? I always thought last year was his good-bye Emmy, even if it wasn't his final year on the show.

I kinda thought they wouldn't be able to resist. I wouldn't've been shocked either way.

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Also, Tyler Christopher is long on record as liking playing Nikolas...this way...and the Emmy might give him the cache to make sure the writing stays...this way.

In other news, what's this I hear about Frank's speech including some line where he thanks the cast, but specifically called out Maurice and Laura as the leads.

Nah, this isn't gonna give Tyler any cache with Frank. imo.

Frank said he wanted to thank the cast, led by Maurice Benard and Laura Wright. Meh.

• Love 2

Snippets from Bryan and Kelly's snapchats:

Bryan: Just heading to The Talk, with my two ladies

Kelly: (while Bryan is sitting on the couch with the Emmy on the table) My baby won! You're a winner!

Why do I have a feeling Kelly has said "you're a winner!" to him a lot of times before this? ;)

Also she taped Dr Oz and Bryan having a conversation. Ah, if only my creeping skills were more complete so I could hear that conversation. :)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I love both of those pictures. JVP continues to give me life, on the show and outside of it.

I love him in a sweet, non-creepy stranger way.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, OnceSane said:

The Emmy is in his bed.  I think we all know where this is going…

Insert jokes about Leo and his long-awaited Oscar here.

• Love 1

With GH winning best show and best directing, you know Ron Carlivati spent most of the rest of the night thinking, "That anniversary episode didn't write itself. I've been robbed."

I think the cosmos may have had something to do with neither Tony nor Ron winning, and taking cheap shots at the other.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Francie said:

With GH winning best show and best directing, you know Ron Carlivati spent most of the rest of the night thinking, "That anniversary episode didn't write itself. I've been robbed."

I think the cosmos may have had something to do with neither Tony nor Ron winning, and taking cheap shots at the other.

Ron won the WGA award for the anniversary show.

Based on the WGA award, and now the near sweep of the Daytime Emmys based on stuff he wrote, I suspect RC is as we speak working with FV to orchestrate his triumphant return to GH.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm still not over Tyler bringing up on stage a book Stephen gave him when he started on the show. :sob:

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

If there are going to be so few shows on and if the award is going to attain the same amount of prestige it did 20 years ago, maybe the people that decide you gets the best show Emmy should be required to watch more episodes of the shows and/or pick a few episodes on random days to really get the a better understanding about the true quality of the show. 

• Love 5

They should just watch the reels and judge based on that alone.   There's no way TC's reel was a Lead Actor winning reel.  I think they picked best show and went backward.   Mary Beth Evans did not have a winning reel.  It looked like "hey I know that name" choices as well.  A lot of actors who were more deserving were robbed.  

• Love 2

Moving my Emmy thoughts here instead of in episode commentary:

Seriously, daytime Emmys for this Show for overall best drama and best directing? Maybe they are thinking of sl and directing for Morgan C's bipolar episodes and Nic C's struggles to obtain and keep ELQ, since they were the individual actors also honored with special Emmys.  Mob sl and directing must have been given the nod too since Sean Blakemore got an Emmy. But what about the women? By honoring the Show were the judges somehow acknowledging the hard and entertaining work of all the women?

Several of us are always commenting how we have fast-forwarded or slept through episodes this past year. I consistently tune in for the performances of several female actors, who bring it even when the writers and directors don't. If the show was that good this time around, how about handing some recognition and plums to the females?