Type keyword(s) to search

One Day at a Time revived for Season 4 on Pop and CBS

Big news:

THURSDAY 6/27/19 AT 4:53PM EDT

The canceled Netflix comedy has found a new home on Pop TV. The CBS-owned cable network has ordered a 13-episode fourth season of the Cuban-American revival of the classic Norman Lear comedy to air in 2020. As part of the deal, CBS will re-air Season 4 later in 2020. The deal, marking the first time a canceled Netflix series has found a new home, also gives Pop the rights to air Seasons 1 through 3, while Netflix retains streaming rights to the first three seasons. 

More here: One Day at a Time revived for Season 4 on Pop and CBS

• Love 2

Quite a few things had to fall into place for this to happen, and I admit I didn't think it would - I am so excited to be wrong.  I didn't get around to watching this until shortly after Netflix canceled it (I only watch Netflix when my parents are traveling and I'm cat-sitting at their house, and medical problems kept them home far more than usual, so my backlog of programming got pretty big) and considered not watching it in light of that cancellation, afraid there would be an unsatisfying non-ending.  I was so glad I opted to watch it, and now I'm thrilled that there will be at least one more season (and that I can watch as it airs this time).  TV needs programs like this.

• Love 5

My knowledge of Pop mostly amounts to Big Brother After Dark, which is commercial hell, but I will watch this. I'm so pleased they are getting at least one last season, both because Rita Moreno broke my heart with her reaction to the cancellation, and also because as a fan I need them to wrap up Penelope's story in a better way. 

Netflix has become an incredibly toxic place, between the shows encouraging suicide, the shows treating homophobia and abusive relationships as sexy, the shows "roasting" Anne Frank and MLK, and the shows "punking" unemployed people. As far as I'm concerned, ODAAT is better off without them. 

20 minutes ago, QueerGirrl said:

Me: checks to see if I have Pop TV.....confirms I do but only in Standard Definition.

Me: "Don't give a fuck!  ODAAT is back!! Dale bitches!" 🇨🇺🤓👍

I don't know if you get On Demand but I have a few channels that are only offered in standard definition but once the episodes go up On Demand, they're available in HD.  

I know it's a long shot but the petty part of me would be so amused if this does get more seasons, finds a more general audience and becomes the kind of rewatchable show that Netflix desperately would like now that it's losing The Office and probably Friends. 

1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

I don't know if you get On Demand but I have a few channels that are only offered in standard definition but once the episodes go up On Demand, they're available in HD.  

I know it's a long shot but the petty part of me would be so amused if this does get more seasons, finds a more general audience and becomes the kind of rewatchable show that Netflix desperately would like now that it's losing The Office and probably Friends. 

I do have On Demand and I’ll definitely check that out.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:11 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t have Pop Tv which kinda sucks.  I think I can get it through YouTube or Hulu.   

Hulu Live has it.  I don't have cable, and it was how I watched ER reruns before they added the entire series to regular Hulu.

I was also extremely happy to see this news.  It was easily my favorite sitcom on Netflix.  They keep cancelling my favorite shows and losing ODAAT was almost the final straw.  About the only remaining US made original series of theirs that I still look forward to is Stranger Things.

But having just finished binging the most recent seasons of some of their foreign made original series, I'm glad I didn't quit my subscription.  The stuff coming out of their new Madrid studios is particularly good so far.  Netflix seems to have found some really good writers over there, combined with a cadre of talented young actors (Ester Expósito in particular may be only 19, but she has that something extra that just screams future movie star).  The latest seasons of Casa de Papel (Money Heist) and Elite have managed to maintain the qualities that made them such huge international hits in the first place.  Plus I hear that the latest season of Cable Girls is pretty good as well.  Some of their British shows are really good as well.  ODAAT was one of their few American made shows of a similar quality and they went and cancelled it.

Edited by viajero
On 1/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, ShortyMac said:

There is a Promo Special, tonight on Pop, at 9:30/8:30c.

I somehow managed to, in the four hours between when you posted this and when it aired here, forget about it last night, but I caught it tonight.

I'm not sure how good a job it did introducing the series to people who don't have Netflix and will be seeing it for the first time on Pop - I'd have loved to see a one-hour promo special, with more time to cover some plot specifics in addition to the overview of relationships and characterization - but I think it did a decent job enticing them.  And it certainly gave me a smile, reminding me how much I like this show and how glad I am it's been given a second life.

I loved Rita Moreno calling it a Norman Lear “play” rather than show.

Also, this is not news, but Moreno is a national treasure.  At nearly 90 years old she’s as respected, intelligent, vibrant, passionate, and considerate as ever.  And beautiful, which is a result of hard work in addition to genetics and technological assistance, so I don't deny her that, I just place it last.

The description of Elena is perfect: sometimes her idealism outpaces her experience.  Because I love teens like that.  I was a teen like that.  But I also understand all the ways in which a teen like that inspires eye rolls from those who’ve spent a lot longer navigating this world.

This got me excited for the fourth season.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not sure how good a job it did introducing the series to people who don't have Netflix and will be seeing it for the first time on Pop - I'd have loved to see a one-hour promo special, with more time to cover some plot specifics in addition to the overview of relationships and characterization - but I think it did a decent job enticing them.  And it certainly gave me a smile, reminding me how much I like this show and how glad I am it's been given a second life.

I agree; I don't know if it convinced anyone to watch who never saw it on Netflix. But, I was cracking up all over again with the clips they included. So glad that someone, Pop/CBS, saw what this show brings to our media and didn't let it die. 

• Love 1

Bad news for those of us who enjoy the Gloria Estefan version of the ODAAT theme song that opened each episode of the first three seasons - it won't be included in the forthcoming Pop network episodes, apparently due to time constraints. I, for one, will miss it.

I love the song, and the old real-life pictures, but I figured the opening credit sequence would not make the transition, due to time.  I'll miss it, but at least this way it won't get stuck in my head - and my cat definitely won't miss me singing along.

• LOL 3
On 2/3/2020 at 3:11 PM, greekmom said:

Anyone know who will be picking this up in Canada?  I don't have POP Tv channel on Bell Media and Hulu isn't available in Canada either.

I am not seeing anything on Google. 😕

Did anyone watch this? Why is it called "One Day at a Time"? Nothing like the original. Yes, I realized they "updated" it but it is completely different! There was no son, no grandmother, Schneider is nothing like like the original. Look, go ahead and make a series with these characters but just why name it after a show that bears no resemblance?

The laugh track was so intrusive I could barely stand it.

The kids were annoying as hell.

This should have been on a Disney channel the way it felt. If Disney had Lesbian teenage lovers and a sex starved single mother. 

I watched, I used to like it when it was on Netflix. 

@msrachelj, ha Disney show, now that you mention it, yes it did remind me of that. 

It's the fist show after a bit, so I'll give it another chance. I have nothing but time right now😉.

I can't put my finger on it but something just seems off. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I watched, I used to like it when it was on Netflix. 

@msrachelj, ha Disney show, now that you mention it, yes it did remind me of that. 

It's the fist show after a bit, so I'll give it another chance. I have nothing but time right know😉.

I can't put my finger on it but something just seems off. 

There are narrative/act breaks now because of commercials. They have to be a little more TV-friendly with the script. They're dealing with a smaller budget.

• Love 2