Type keyword(s) to search

The Hills: New Beginnings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's a new beginning for this iconic group of friends, as they return to the Hills and reconnect for the first time in years; while facing new challenges,  old rivalries and romances collide.

Did Whitney have another scene or appearance besides in Audrina's backyard? I wonder if she'll even be at Stephanie's welcome back party. I kind of doubt it. She might have an even smaller role here than she did in the original. I think she signed on not for the exposure of her actual airtime in episodes but just because the press tour would give her more Instagram followers and YouTube subscribers, and make it easier to get sponsored-content deals. 

I have zero interest in anyone or anything else. I do think I might find Mischa Barton compelling, but I don't think she'll bring a lot of drama, which means she may barely get more airtime than Whitney.

• Love 4
(edited)

How is it that Brody Jenner is married?  If you don't want to live by any schedule then, DON'T GET MARRIED AND DON'T HAVE KIDS.  I think people get married just to say they did.  His scene with his wife was fucked up.  She is fucked up too.

Spencer is still an asshole.

Am liking, for now, Brandon Lee.  His mom going through his pantry was pretty funny.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 14

I don't understand why anyone thinks people will be interested in Mischa Barton.  Then again it's not like she has much else to do, so I'm guessing she came cheap. 

• Love 3
On 6/25/2019 at 1:52 PM, DebM said:

These are still horrible people. Now they're just older people - with bigger problems.  Whatever possessed me to watch?

They've always (collectively) been the hemorrhoids of Hollywood.  The only difference now is that now tons of other people in that town have gone down that same path and made stupid un-Reality Shows. 

• Love 3

I know Whitney is not the most exciting person to watch but I still find her more palatable than the rest - I wish episodes came with a little rating system to indicate how much of your favorite (or most tolerable) character was actually in it. Half a Whitney means less than 5 minutes. A full Whitney means between 5 and 10 minutes; two Whitneys mean half the episode, etc. I suspect we'll only get half-Whits (har har) the whole season. So I doubt I'll be watching. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Ugh, I am watching the original Hills and New Beginnigs and the original is 100x more interesting (even with knowing all the plot points) then the new. I find New Beginnings almost unwatchably boring. I don’t care about them at all, even in a trainwreck way. And at least half are just fame chasers so nothing seems real or genuine. But maybe that is because now no one on reality tv is “real” like they were 10-15 years ago. Not saying OG Hills was real because we know it was scripted but their interactions and reactions seemed more authentic whereas NB just seems so slick and overly produced.

• Love 5
On 7/2/2019 at 11:16 AM, BingeyKohan said:

I know Whitney is not the most exciting person to watch but I still find her more palatable than the rest - I wish episodes came with a little rating system to indicate how much of your favorite (or most tolerable) character was actually in it. Half a Whitney means less than 5 minutes. A full Whitney means between 5 and 10 minutes; two Whitneys mean half the episode, etc. I suspect we'll only get half-Whits (har har) the whole season. So I doubt I'll be watching. 

@BingeyKohan, I’m a low-key Whitney fan too; I always loved her interactions with LC and she seemed to have her head on so straight. I even enjoyed those two seasons of Whit’s own breakout series, “The City”, even if she did come out of that particular series looking like a flighty doormat.

Actually, can we get a “The City: New Beginnings” series too?! I’d watch it just to see Olivia Palermo have a go at them all once again, since she’s arguably become the most successful of that cast since then. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Even though he's the youngest, Brandon seems like the most mature one of the lot. I'm also guessing that it's because of Pamela's influence and little to do with Tommy. I know there was a physical altercation between Brandon and Tommy in the recent past when his dad was drunk. Poor kid.

• Love 7
On 7/4/2019 at 12:45 PM, Sun-Bun said:

@BingeyKohan, I’m a low-key Whitney fan too; I always loved her interactions with LC and she seemed to have her head on so straight. I even enjoyed those two seasons of Whit’s own breakout series, “The City”, even if she did come out of that particular series looking like a flighty doormat.

Actually, can we get a “The City: New Beginnings” series too?! I’d watch it just to see Olivia Palermo have a go at them all once again, since she’s arguably become the most successful of that cast since then. 

I have a soft spot for Whitney. She's such a good girl. I felt badly for her because out of everyone she did all the "right" things in life: finished college, did internships, didn't get caught up in crazy and for that she was rewarded by being called boring. I didn't understand the constant revolving door on The City, the need for producers to create drama. What would have been so wrong about showing a young woman creating a place for herself in the world? Boring? Maybe. But wouldn't that be more positive and something to balance out all the junk where crazies are rewarded? I don't know, I didn't like the message that sends out.  You're boring so you're cancelled! 

Olivia wouldn't return. She didn't like the edit she received and i can't say I blame her. The audio and editing is really choppy during the Shamu moment.

• Love 4

I am moving this over here, I didn’t realize there is a new / separate thread for New Beginnings.  I had posted this in the other Hills thread.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m watching because it’s summer and I can’t quit these people just like I can’t quit JS.  

Is Brandon the son that recently kicked Tommy’s ass?  Or is that the other son?  Either way, I like him on this show so far.

I thought Pam looked good considering hasn’t she been suffering with Hepatitis for many years?  

Perez Hilton was not sorry, not one bit.  Is he still as big as he used to be?  I haven’t thought about him since like 2008.  Someday his kids will be bullied because of his antics and he will have no one to blame but himself.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

I am moving this over here, I didn’t realize there is a new / separate thread for New Beginnings.  I had posted this in the other Hills thread.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I also didn't realize there was a separate thread for this show until 2 seconds ago when I saw it listed below the Next Unread Topic button.  Oops!

• LOL 2

I was never a big watcher of the original show but was curious about Brandon Lee so I watched the new episodes. 

I have a question, why do all of the women's faces look so dirty?  I just wanted to take a washcloth to their faces.  Is it fake tan stuff or their make-up?  Whatever it is, it looks like crap to me.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Also who is that blonde Ashley chick? Is she going to be a regular? I hope not. 

Jason Wahler’s wife.  I don’t know if they are main cast or “friend of.”

• Love 1

I didn't mind the first episode, but the subsequent ones have been lacking. Jason's wife and Brody's wife are getting more screen time than the cast members featured in the opening credits. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Some thoughts..

The whole Audrina/Justin Bobby storyline bored me to tears. It was so overdone the first time around I literally can not watch it again. Could MTV really not find anything else more interesting to air? 

Brody seems immature and petty this go around. His reaction to Spencer being hurt over not visiting when Gunner was born: "Well, you didn't invite me to his first birthday party!" Seriously? What are you, like 4?

I also don't like the way he tells his wife to "calm down" or "relax" whenever she brings up serious, real life issues like wanting a baby. It's so condescending.

Spencer seems to have mellowed out some but he appeared very socially awkward around the guys. It was almost uncomfortable to watch. Like he was trying to hard. I don't know. Maybe he doesn't get out much anymore.

Stephanie seems to be the most entertaining to me at the moment from the original cast. I honestly wonder if their ongoing family feud is real or exaggerated for the show. I thought it was interesting how Whitney said she went to high school with them and they fought a lot back then too. I always thought Whitney was casted for the show but had no previous ties to anyone. Wonder why they never mentioned it before? 

On 7/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Also who is that blonde Ashley chick? Is she going to be a regular? I hope not. 

Her voice is incredibly annoying. 

Speaking of voices, why does Jason's sound so different? 

Edited by NMDD43
  • Love 1

I keep wanting to tap out of this show, it's just boring.  Are they really going to have a love triangle with Audrina/JB/Stephanie.  All that surgery and Stephanie still has the unfortunate chin.  There's honestly nothing really to discuss.  I'm still 2 episodes behind, so I need to find the energy to watch the 2 that are already on my DVR. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Fuck you Brody, fuck you fuck you fuck you for staying as the fire got closer.  Nobody needs to risk their life trying to save you, you miserable fucking dickwad.    Whether or not they had to do that isn't the point, the point is you clog the streets even more when you want to make your 'dash' away from your house, on your motherfucking bike, only causing more chaos on the roads as I'm POSITIVE that you aren't the type to try to weave in an out, making your way to the front.

• Love 3

It looked like the rooftop of a building. I'm sure she didn't actually sit there for hours. I don't know how the smoke from the Malibu fire affected LA, but here in the bay area, it was absolutely terrible smoke and ash-filled air from the Paradise fire and you couldn't go to work/leave the house/be outdoors for too long without wearing an N95 mask (at least if you were smart). Even with the Napa fires the year before that, I could already smell the smoke in the east bay, maybe 15 minutes after it began sometime between midnight-1am. So she probably wouldn't have been able to sit outdoors for hours anyway.

If my husband decided to stay behind at the house to 'protect it' from a raging wildfire, I'd be freaking out a lot more than she was, but I guess she either thought their house was immune because they're rich Malibu-nians or something, or she's never seen a raging wildfire up close and seen the death and destruction it leaves behind. 

• Love 4

Are we all supposed to again fall for the 2 most phony, but popular, story-lines from last time? 1, that Pratt really is a prat, and 2, Justin Booby & Yawndrina !?!?! Stop telling us how much you hate your castmates Spencer, you sound ridiculous. And as for JB & A, she's a beautiful woman, why on EARTH would she obsess about that twit. Ludicrous.

• Love 2

Audrina has always struck me as a bit.... dim, but it also may because it looks like there's no activity going on behind her eyes and they look like they're about to roll up into the back of her head. Her hair at least, looks much better than it did on the OG. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, linda curry said:

Are we all supposed to again fall for the 2 most phony, but popular, story-lines from last time? 1, that Pratt really is a prat, and 2, Justin Booby & Yawndrina !?!?! Stop telling us how much you hate your castmates Spencer, you sound ridiculous. And as for JB & A, she's a beautiful woman, why on EARTH would she obsess about that twit. Ludicrous.

Yawndrina. Dead 😂 

Help me...I’m actually beginning to believe that Spencer has matured. And then he fawns over crystals and I burst into laughter.  But, I definitely don’t hate him like I used to.  He left that role for his sister.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, MeLikesTV said:

But, I definitely don’t hate him like I used to.  He left that role for his sister.

Same here. Although he & Heidi are both a little too “on” for the cameras for me, I don’t mind them. I am basically watching for Brandon Lee. Love that kid so far. 

• Love 5
On 8/14/2019 at 1:11 AM, Batwings said:

Same here. Although he & Heidi are both a little too “on” for the cameras for me, I don’t mind them. I am basically watching for Brandon Lee. Love that kid so far. 

Me too.  Such a good kid.

I don't mind Speidi either.  Hey they've beaten the odds and have stayed together.  He did seem to show some self-awareness as he matured.  When Heidi was wanting a baby before Gunnar he said he was leery because "would you want to be Spencer Pratts kid?"

On 8/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, Scout Finch said:

I saw that the other day...interesting.  Kaitlynn seems like she's trying really, really hard to be a famous A-lister.

Anyone remember Audrina's mom high and/or drunk AF talking shit to the camera person

• Love 5

I appreciated Jason’s description of why he got drunk even though he’s well aware of his alcoholism. I deal daily with a loved one who has done the same thing. Jason’s articulation about his situation brought clarity to me. 

• Love 7

I didn’t see Jason before (by the time I got to original recipe Hills he was gone), but I like him. I also like his wife. In fact, the only ones I don’t like are Stephanie and Justin. Audrina needs to move ON.

• Love 2

I feel like Mischa isn’t doing much on this show. Maybe because she’s matured and they only give you a storyline if you bring drama.

Stephanie is really awful and clearly doesn’t care about making anyone uncomfortable. 

I always liked Jason and am definitely routing for him. Also like Brandon a lot. Hope he gets something out of doing this show.

• Love 6

I feel like they have been crazy re-editing this show since Kaitlynn is now with Miley Cyrus, putting back in stuff about her marriage to Brody, etc.  I wonder if they will find the footage Spencer claims exists, of him talking to Brody about how Brody and Kaitlynn were never legally married because he didn't want her to have a right to his money.

• Love 3

Brody and Kaitlyn are quite the pair, while they sit around bitching about the people talking about them behind their backs they are talking about people behind their backs.  If Kaitlyn is so upset about Jason's wife (I cannot remember her name) talking about her, then why didn't she go into that room and tell her to her face, no instead she and Brody do the exact thing they are bitching about.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blondiek237 said:

Brody and Kaitlyn are quite the pair, while they sit around bitching about the people talking about them behind their backs they are talking about people behind their backs.  If Kaitlyn is so upset about Jason's wife (I cannot remember her name) talking about her, then why didn't she go into that room and tell her to her face, no instead she and Brody do the exact thing they are bitching about.

And....Brody and Kaitlynn are bitching about other people gossiping about them BECAUSE Brody actually put it out there on a podcast.  You think if one of my friends said something about sleeping with other people while "married" that I wouldn't be discussing it with others...GTFOH.

• Love 5

It's back. New season begins soon. (Sorry I don't have the link to the exact date.)

I'm not excited but I will watch just to see Spencer Pratt's fashion choices! Crystals, incense, meditation. He did manage to produce a cute kid with what's her name? 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

It's back. New season begins soon. (Sorry I don't have the link to the exact date.)

I'm not excited but I will watch just to see Spencer Pratt's fashion choices! Crystals, incense, meditation. He did manage to produce a cute kid with what's her name? 

I'm curious enough to tune in at least once for the same reason, lol. He could have done a 180 and be into weight lifting, steroids, and triathalons for all we know : )

• LOL 3

So New Beginnings is coming back for second season with … Kristin!

May 12th.  Promo shows her taking off a black mask.

OK I would never admit watching this mess but I will watch for the snark potential.

What?  The crystals didn’t turn Spencer into a mogul?

Did the NFL money already run out?  Wonder if we will see that douche Austen from Southern Charm.

Wouldn’t be the first Hills/SC crossover because a young Landon was briefly on the OG Hills, long before SC existed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1