Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Showing my age here - not "my" (nice girl Hayley Mills) Parent Trap! 

I have seen the 1998 (mean girl Lindsey Lohan) version. Here's the scoop on the winery associated with the filming of the remake.

http://www.napawineproject.com/staglin-family-vineyard/

HeHe. When she mentioned the vineyard, I said: "Mitch didn't have a vineyard. He was a rancher!!" Then I realized how old I am... and that she was talking about the Lindsey Lohan version, which I loved too... Just not as much as the original! 🤗 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I liked the Maryland/Virginia couple.  They were just so cute.

They were a cute... no drama... no hysterics... no demands couple! I really like the one they chose... and glad they got the place for a steal!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 40Love said:

HeHe. When she mentioned the vineyard, I said: "Mitch didn't have a vineyard. He was a rancher!!" Then I realized how old I am... and that she was talking about the Lindsey Lohan version, which I loved too... Just not as much as the original! 🤗 

Wait. What? She was talking about a movie from 1998? I've changed my opinion: I can't with them.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I completely identified with the Chicago HH's choice of the full service high rise condo with the spectacular view - maybe because that is the type of condo I purchased for pretty much the same reasons.

The only thing that needed immediate attention was the kitchen and replacing the flooring. The $25,000 allowance would have more or less covered that and a gut remodel of a kitchen when you aren't living there isn't a big deal. You hire a GC and work with a kitchen designer. 

I am thankful to live in a building where there has never been any kind of crime. I feel safe whenever I come home at night.

The staff in my building are great - so handy as they take all deliveries/packages and help me out for minor handyman stuff in my unit. Parking is in the building and so it's just a ride up the elevator - monitored by the doorman. There is a gym and a pool and it is used. 

Yes the maintenance is high in a full service building but the rent in a full service building is high as well so you are essentially just paying what you would pay to rent an equivalent apartment. And at this point my actual costs - rent, mortgage and property taxes are less than half of what units in my building rent for and I could sell it for much more than I originally paid - so I don't regret opting for a full service high rise

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Long Beach Island, NJ. Her faceplant at the surfing thing made me laugh. I know it's a recycled BBH but I like how we see 4 houses. They were all nice, glad they didn't insist on being on the island.  They were able to get the most for their budget.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I'm guessing that LBI hunter signed a release before trying that surf thing. Otherwise he could sue them for a concussion or two.

That looked like it would hurt when his head hit the water, and maybe the bottom because that water looked shallow.  It looked like something I'd like to try until I saw the head bouncing.  I don't mind falling, and I don't mind getting banged around a bit, but that looked dangerous. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Chicago: What is a “case manager” in an elementary school? A social worker? 

They can be social workers, but aren't exclusively; they deal with at-risk students (it's a common role in special education programs, but is not limited to that), advising them and their parents, connecting them with available resources, monitoring the services provided to them, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My family used to rent a place on Long Beach Island every summer. It was pretty idyllic back then - certainly not all the tourist spots in place not. The one recreation I recall were a bunch of miniature golf places and one spot called Fisherman's Wharf or some such.

We were generally about two houses down from the beach and would just wander back and forth. 

I don't understand the appeal of those homes on the little canals unless you actually own a boat. The water doesn't seem to be something I would swim in and certainly isn't user friendly for children as opposed to splashing around in the surf. You still have to drive to the actual beach which means shlepping everything you need and setting it up for the day. I didn't grow up in Monmouth County (Colts Neck to be exact) in Jersey but spent the summers  (except for the two weeks on LBI) with the aunts/uncles who had a guest house on their property but 20 minutes to get to the beach on LBI doesn't seem to be much better than driving 20 minutes to Sea Bright beach - hell it doesn't seem to be that much easier than driving to Riis Park from my actual home in Brooklyn.

• Love 1

Today's reruns on OWN are so funny.   

The couple who moved to California a long time ago, and are worried about his guitar collection, and the TV mount end up in Fontana.    If the husband is so worried about someone breaking into their new home in Fontana, and stealing his giant collection of guitars, then why was he on TV, showing everyone the guitar collection?     

The couple who were born at the same hospital seven weeks apart, and reconnected later, and are looking for places in L.A. are so funny.    The funniest thing about their house hunt is all of the features they want, for the price they want to spend.     I thought they would get the fixer, and I was right (for once), I wish they had follow ups on some episodes. 

The nurse anesthetist moving to Dallas Fort Worth is so much fun.   She has a long list, but is so enthusiastic about everything she sees, it's a pleasant change from the others who criticize everything.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The father/parents of the woman who bought in LBI had a boat. I'm sure Dad is keeping his boat at the house. Thus the appeal of the canal. I think the boat was tied up at the dock at the end of the show.

For sure, if you have a boat, living on the canal makes sense.

However if you don't have a boat living on a canal isn't appealing to me. Many of these people live in the suburbs and (at least to me) it would make more sense to install a pool in their home since that would seem more fun for the kids since there really isn't anything to do in a canal house except drive to the beach. Then rent a house on the shore for a week or two and get the real shore experience.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 3
On 3/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

That looked like it would hurt when his head hit the water, and maybe the bottom because that water looked shallow.  It looked like something I'd like to try until I saw the head bouncing.  I don't mind falling, and I don't mind getting banged around a bit, but that looked dangerous. 

I’m surprised one doesn’t have to wear a helmet when doing that.

• Love 2
On 3/24/2021 at 10:29 PM, NYGirl said:

Chicago...can she be more annoying?  The realtor lists all the amenities and she's like...well they're not doing anything for me.

She's a nonstop talker and has nothing nice to say about any of the apartments.

I don't care what she picks.  I'm going to bed.

BTW her friend is so cute!  Both him and realtor are trying to talk sense into her.  In one ear...out the other.  

Maybe I was half watching but she didn't bother me. I liked her technique of writing her goal down. Laughed when she said she tried to take the kitchen cabinets down herself. It sounded like something I would have tried to do at her age and lived (or maybe not!) to tell.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

NYC brownstone fixer vs. condo, plus condo maintenance fees.      I hate it when some entitled house hunter is dragging their dog through other people's homes.  So who claims to love vintage, and original, and wants to build a giant, modern kitchen on a vintage brownstone?   So now the girlfriend/wife/whatever wants to make the inside of a historic brownstone modern for the boyfriend?    Appalling.  

So they bought the Harlem brownstone.    The woman will turn the two kitchens into walking closets, and wet bars (no, I have no idea what she wants to do), and then build a huge first floor modern kitchen, and he wants a roof deck.   I wonder if that includes stairs to the roof?  Or do they keep the original ladder?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

That brownstone was amazing!  All that original woodwork was incredible. 

I would definitely want to do something about the kitchen situation there, but I don't know what I'd do. I hope she doesn't end up ruining that place.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, izabella said:

That brownstone was amazing!  All that original woodwork was incredible. 

I would definitely want to do something about the kitchen situation there, but I don't know what I'd do. I hope she doesn't end up ruining that place.

That place is a perfect candidate for a "Where are they now?" episode. I've always loved those brownstones and love seeing the different restorations.

• Love 1
(edited)

Orlando area: He wants near the water; she wants room to grow. They were ok even with her copious “oh wows.”

I don’t understand people’s absolute hatred of popcorn ceilings. It’s not asbestos or harmful. Are you really going to let it be a factor about buying a house?

I really liked that they gave the properties fair shakes even if it was a house for the other person. He wasn’t complaining about everything in every room just because the house was far from the water.

And what was wrong with the kitchen in the house they bought? It was big and bright, wood cabinets, and an eat at counter. The dishwasher didn’t match the refrigerator? 

Edited by Kiddvideo
Fat fingers
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Des Moines, Iowa...this couple equally got on my nerves. In the end they chose a cookie cutter house that was in the suburbs. The renovated older home was lovely and unique but boyfriend wanted a house like the boring one he grew up in. He was very uncompromising and he seemed to snear at the houses she preferred. I predict she goes back to San Francisco after a couple of years of living with him.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I don’t understand people’s absolute hatred of popcorn ceilings. It’s not asbestos or harmful. Are you really going to let it be a factor about buying a house?

Seriously.  If you remove it yourself, you need a seriously good neck massage.  If you hire someone, you're out a thousand or two or three dollars depending on house size.  Even if it contains asbestos, paying for proper removal of a hazardous material is a tiny blip on the radar of your home's value, before and after.

It's nowhere near as dumb as rejecting a home based on paint color - which HH seems to have backed off of as a recurring storyline, in my limited exposure - given how easy that is to change/have changed, but still an overstated concern.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Seriously.  If you remove it yourself, you need a seriously good neck massage.  If you hire someone, you're out a thousand or two or three dollars depending on house size.  Even if it contains asbestos, paying for proper removal of a hazardous material is a tiny blip on the radar of your home's value, before and after.

It's nowhere near as dumb as rejecting a home based on paint color - which HH seems to have backed off of as a recurring storyline, in my limited exposure - given how easy that is to change/have changed, but still an overstated concern.

My parents house had a ton of color, as my Mom was an artist and she chose the color schemes.  It all worked imo, but after my Dad passed and we put it up for sale, it did not sell.  As soon as we changed out the color for a pale beige, it sold.  So dumb. 

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t get the popcorn ceiling hatred either. Unless you constantly stare at the ceiling, how would it bother you?

My home has it.  Its annoying af lol.  I have changed all of it out  except upstairs which I have not yet renovated.  Because of the texture it catches dust, making it harder to clean and to me, it looks dingy even when it is clean.  Yuck.  But I (obviously) did not let it impact my decision on whether or not to buy the home. 

• Love 4
(edited)

The worst thing to do with popcorn ceilings are to paint them, it makes them even worse to remove.       The reason they do it is because it's quick and cheap, and many builders love quick and cheap.   My previous house had a bonus room over the garage, and the sloped ceilings and popcorn were a nightmare.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t get the popcorn ceiling hatred either. Unless you constantly stare at the ceiling, how would it bother you?

I think they're a bit unattractive and outdated looking, and seem to hold onto dust, fur, etc.  So I certainly understand HHs putting getting rid of them on their list of things they'd do if they bought that house.  But acting like it's some terrible task, in the grand scheme of home buying, that would prove a deal breaker is ridiculous.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Female house hunter in LA just now: "I love the way this window lets light in." I'm still laughing.

Didn't they say they worked in a high school? How do they afford over 800k?

• Love 2
On 3/31/2021 at 11:08 AM, TVForever said:

That place is a perfect candidate for a "Where are they now?" episode. I've always loved those brownstones and love seeing the different restorations.

That house is going to be a money pit. Being that it is an historical home, they will probably have to secure permits to do renovations. The City of New York probably has some stiff building codes that they will have to navigate and may cost $$ also. Once those ducks are in line, the renovations can begin and in NYC that will cost a bundle. The roof repairs and renovation to a "party deck" will be very costly let alone the kitchen renovations, closets, painting and other repairs that most certainly will be made to the plumbing, heating, etc...Those two looked, acted and spoke like trust fund kids...probably from Greenwich or Darien, CT. Private schools, Ivy League colleges and a tight knit circle of other trust fund friends. My kind of people...ha ha...NOT!

• Love 5

I kept thinking the first Venice Beach house would be great for a single person who doesn't have much stuff and wants something low maintenance, maybe a recent college grad - but then again, most recent college grads don't have nine hundred thousand dollars to spend on 450 square feet. 

Also I hate the gray floors that are on trend now, and a house has a lot of nerve costing over $800K and having laminate floors. I liked the outside of the second house but the inside gave me the creeps, all black and white and gray. That master bathroom with the black hexagon tile was awful.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I kept thinking the first Venice Beach house would be great for a single person who doesn't have much stuff and wants something low maintenance, maybe a recent college grad - but then again, most recent college grads don't have nine hundred thousand dollars to spend on 450 square feet. 

I don't know why, but I loved that house. So cute but so impractical. And the dreaded washer dryer in the kitchen. But it was so cute.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

That house is going to be a money pit. Being that it is an historical home, they will probably have to secure permits to do renovations. The City of New York probably has some stiff building codes that they will have to navigate and may cost $$ also. Once those ducks are in line, the renovations can begin and in NYC that will cost a bundle. The roof repairs and renovation to a "party deck" will be very costly let alone the kitchen renovations, closets, painting and other repairs that most certainly will be made to the plumbing, heating, etc...Those two looked, acted and spoke like trust fund kids...probably from Greenwich or Darien, CT. Private schools, Ivy League colleges and a tight knit circle of other trust fund friends. My kind of people...ha ha...NOT!

One thing that bugs me about all these real estate and decorating shows is when they tour an old house which has had plaster removed from walls and refer to exposed brick as "restoring" the house. Restore is defined as: "bring back (a previous right, practice, custom, or situation); reinstate." The Victorian or turn of the century homeowner would be appalled to have a bare brick wall in their living quarters. That is a style that developed when the whole back to the city brownstone movement developed in the 1970s (?) in areas like Park Slope, Brooklyn. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

a house has a lot of nerve costing over $800K

Snort.

What I didn't understand about the Venice house was that the realtor said that was a private entrance and patio, but there was a door opening onto it from the apartment next door.  Could that possibly be a relic, and it's walled off inside?  I think it looks better with the door, to break up that big wall. 

Storage of the surfboards seemed like a dealbreaker, but if that really is a private patio, he could keep them out there, and maybe even let them be decor. 

3 hours ago, edie3 said:

And the dreaded washer dryer in the kitchen.

I think the problem with that one in particular is that it was such a hulking mass.  By definition there's not going to be a bunch of people living there, so may be it's not necessary to have units that big.  Get something smaller, that has room to have a door installed in front of it.  Or get a combo unit like the Europeans and free up half that space for storage.

• Love 1

I liked the LA couple, they seemed laid back and weren't that demanding.   The first house was cute but way too small for two people.  I hated the second house with the black exterior (Hey!  It's that black house!) and the black/white/gray interior, so I thought the third house was the best choice. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I recently remodeled and got rid of the popcorn ceiling. It was expensive because it also included expensive asbestos removal by an approved company and then the ceiling had to be primed so that it would look perfect.

Popcorn ceilings bring down the whole room even if you aren't staring directly at them. They are dirty and collect dust and if you paint them, removal is even more difficult. I can't overstate what a difference it makes in terms of brightening up the look and feel of my home - and people look at ceilings more than they think. Every time you walk in a room you are looking at the ceiling - not to mention lying in bed or on a sofa. Subliminally it sinks in and just depresses the look of the room.

The reason people mention it when looking at homes is because it is something that demonstrably makes a home more unattractive and it's a factor just as much as a disgusting bathroom. I did a gut remodel so everything was taken down to the studs but I could live with a clean bathroom in good shape that wasn't completely up to date before I would live with a popcorn ceiling again.

ETA - Almost all popcorn ceiling has asbestos in it because it was considered to be a positive construction material when installed. So it is NOT a DIY job unless you are completely stupid or don't give a crap about either your family or the environment. The ceiling has to be discarded in a hazardous waste site which also adds to the cost. Granted I lived in a high cost of living area, but between removing the asbestos tainted popcorn and having the ceiling done so it looks smooth and beautiful it was probably about $8 or $9 per square foot. So do the math and you could be spending $10,000 or more to do the job.

Also removing popcorn ceiling is the kind of project that needs to be done before you move in because all of the furniture in every part of the house needs to be moved - everything taken off the walls because the asbestos remediation people won't work if there is anything in a room. They will seal off rooms to contain it which don't have the popcorn but generally popcorn is running through all the rooms except possibly bathrooms and kitchen. Even drywall can contain asbestos - my understanding is that some of the "tape" used also contains it so legally it is supposed to be tested before it is removed.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Also I hate the gray floors that are on trend now, and a house has a lot of nerve costing over $800K and having laminate floors. I liked the outside of the second house but the inside gave me the creeps, all black and white and gray. That master bathroom with the black hexagon tile was awful.

Location is everything. $800,000 in Los Angeles is essentially a starter home so laminate is not out of the question in terms of a flipper being able to market it for the neighborhood at a price that isn't out of line. 

The second house was in a neighborhood called Morningside Park which I was unfamiliar with. Just from the aerial shots the neighborhood didn't seem great as it was commercial - but not in a *good* way. Looked more like there were light manufacturing facilities and that kind of stuff - and an ALLEY running next to the backyard. 

When I googled the neighborhood it seems to be on the fringes of Inglewood. 

They didn't mention the location of the third house - the one that was purchased. It must have been a better location more established location and the surrounding immediate neighborhood seemed much more residential which is why a 2 bedroom was almost $900,000 versus the middle home which was 3 bedrooms. Location, location, location - as well as ambience.

Someone will buy the Venice home - perfect for a rich kid - of which there are plenty being bankrolled by wealthy parents. There might be a side door on the adjacent house which isn't used. I grew up in Brooklyn and there were narrow driveways between the homes. The homes had side doors which opened to the driveway that was actually owned by the home next to it - odd arrangement but the homes had an easement to use it for access but people used front doors to get into their homes so side doors were almost never used.

I assume calling it "private space" meant that the next door people wouldn't have the right to actually use the space - we have seen some places that have actual shared backyards or whatever. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I liked the LA couple, they seemed laid back and weren't that demanding.   The first house was cute but way too small for two people.  I hated the second house with the black exterior (Hey!  It's that black house!) and the black/white/gray interior, so I thought the third house was the best choice. 

Such an odd choice of house color in a very sunny place. Not only visually but in terms of making the building hot.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, edie3 said:

I don't know why, but I loved that house. So cute but so impractical. And the dreaded washer dryer in the kitchen. But it was so cute.

Me too!!!  Perfect get away beach cabin.  Maybe it is on VRBO?

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, amarante said:

1 minute ago, Pine said:

They didn't mention the location of the third house - the one that was purchased. It must have been a better location more established location and the surrounding immediate neighborhood seemed much more residential which is why a 2 bedroom was almost $900,000 versus the middle home which was 3 bedrooms. Location, location, location - as well as ambience.

1 minute ago, Pine said:

Windsor Hills Neighborhood.  

Edited by Pine
8 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I thought she was a pain in the ass...she complained about everything...so negative.

5 hours ago, Pine said:

Me too!!!  Perfect get away beach cabin.  Maybe it is on VRBO?

I loved it too. The fireplace was to die for...very art deco. It was a cute little bungalow. Even the windows were works of art on the outside. Great place for a single person.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

A black house!  It looked evil, and it was next to an industrial area.  They didn't seem to be a bit concerned about either of those things.  I'm glad they chose the third house, even though it didn't have a third bedroom.

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 2
(edited)

OWN is showing their usual Saturday HH reruns.   I had to laugh at the Spring Hill, TN episode.   The wife actually looked at a gas cooktop, and asked if it was gas or not.    (Strange family note, over 120 years ago, some ancestors of mine owned the Spring Hill area land, but the land cost less to buy than the taxes were, so they walked away from it.  They couldn't afford to live there.)    The wife actually claimed to want an Art Deco style, she also claims she wants neighbors so the zombies won't come out of the woods (I'm hoping that was a plot point, but I'm guessing not).  Apparently the theme for the show is that the husband demands they have privacy, and no neighbors in sight.    

The Portland, OR couple where one is a realtor is going to be fun.  At least their preferred styles of either Mid-Century modern, or a bungalow are possible.    I think they picked the perfect house.   I also think the cat didn't want that camera in their face either.  

The couple shopping in Memphis are certainly seeing the most 'vintage' and quirky homes in town.   The first house would need so much work.   The second is an odd layout.  The third is really big, and has a huge pool.   Another couple who should buy separate houses, because one of them is always going to think the other person won, and dislike the house. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

she also claims she wants neighbors so the zombies won't come out of the woods. 

Someone seriously went on television and said that with a straight face?

• LOL 2
On 4/2/2021 at 9:31 AM, Empress1 said:

I liked the wood on the outside but not the black color of the house. It totally stood out from the other homes. Maybe, that’s what the homeowners intended but it looked creepy to me. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The LA wife bugged me.  “What are these floors,” she asked.  “Laminate,” the realtor replied.  “Ugh.  I don’t like laminate,” the wife complained.

Wait. What? How can you dislike something that you don’t even recognize???  Do you even KNOW what laminate is or could be?!  No?  Then you can’t go on national television and complain about it.  🙄

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8