Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Yes!!  Annoying vocal fry... and a hipster looking husband.  New build always wins out.

I knew it was that one when he was commenting about how well it was put together contrary to his complaining about new builds at the beginning.

This is what vocal fry sounds like.  She's not 100% classic because some of her sentences don't growl down at the end, but for people who aren't sure about what exactly vocal fry is (it's not just a squeaky voice), she's got it.

I think she said her clients are teenagers, which is a good thing because most older people wouldn't put up with that from their psychologist.  I definitely wouldn't.

I also rather intensely disliked her husband.  So I laughed when he opened the door to his car after the third house and the beltline was at his chin.  I wonder if drives with a pillow behind his back can reach the pedals.

As for the actual properties, the window in one of the bathrooms in the second house was really low.  It looked weird.  And he was going on about how well built it was, mentioning the cabinets.  But they definitely didn't look original. 

And 2x4s these days are indeed 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" as he says (and they've been like that for many decades), but that doesn't mean they're of lesser quality.  He's making is sound like when yogurt containers silently went from 8 ounces to 6 ounces.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Twiz44 said:

Watching “Miss Vocal Fry”. I was thinking that if I needed a psychologist and she was the only one in my network, I’d pay out-of-pocket. Can you imagine paying to listen to her? I’d leave her office with a new neurosis.

Yes! Her creaky voice drove me nuts! 😬😱

• Love 3

Vocal Fry psychologist rubbed me so wrong.   If living in a new house is a prerequisite for starting to live your life you are in for a pretty miserable run honey. We had the best times in some of the shitholes we used to live in.

• Love 6

I found Manly McBeardy the most annoying. Strutting around the houses with his measuring tape bitching about everything. He came off as a know-it-all Napoleon that was intent on letting us know just how manly he is. Oh, I chop wood, I work on cars, I have a ginormous beard because I'm SO HAIRY, I play the drums. Must have a room dedicated to MY DRUMS. Blah.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6

Ha, I missed him. Instead, saw the rerun of the downsizing Tennessee couple. Delightful. She had updating plans that were stated in such a normal, not GUT THIS way. His concerns included big trees too close to the gutters on one house (that they eventually bought, naturally). Such a dad thing, solid gold.

• Love 1

Did the Asheville realtor actually claim that leaving the garbage and recycle bins outside wouldn't be a problem if they put bungie cords on them to stop the bears and raccoons from getting into them?      A bungie won't stop a raccoon, a neighborhood dog, and especially a bear.     Just wait until the couple step outside to see a bear shredding their garbage can.   Or (I used to live in Colorado) they pick up birdseed, and leave the car outside, and it gets ripped apart.     Hummingbird feeders with the sugar water attract bears too.  The only expansion possibility is putting a second floor on the back, because that is a small lot, and the set backs are not going to allow a real expansion.    

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Asheville: I laughed about wanting to put/needing a soundproof room in the basement. Sounds like a serial killer’s punchlist for a house.

Or his "room inside a room"? wtf?

33 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Did the Asheville realtor actually claim that leaving the garbage and recycle bins outside wouldn't be a problem if they put bungie cords on them to stop the bears and raccoons from getting into them?      A bungie won't stop a raccoon, a neighborhood dog, and especially a bear.     Just wait until the couple step outside to see a bear shredding their garbage can.   Or (I used to live in Colorado) they pick up birdseed, and leave the car outside, and it gets ripped apart.     Hummingbird feeders with the sugar water attract bears too.  The only expansion possibility is putting a second floor on the back, because that is a small lot, and the set backs are not going to allow a real expansion.    

Yep, just a bungie cord - all that's needed to keep out all manners of scavengers. 🤣

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A bungie won't stop a raccoon, a neighborhood dog, and especially a bear.    

I still remember a Tonight Show-type interview with Calvin Trillin many years ago where he was talking about raccoons, and how he started putting a combination lock on his trash cans because they're clever, but they're not good with figures.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

Yeah, there mothers that have to see their kids all the time are crazy. Some of my stepdaughter's funniest stories about her kids come from her going to check on what they're up to. She "watches" with her ears. One time when they all got quiet, she found them merrily flushing everything they could find down the toilet.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Did the Asheville realtor actually claim that leaving the garbage and recycle bins outside wouldn't be a problem if they put bungie cords on them to stop the bears and raccoons from getting into them?      A bungie won't stop a raccoon, a neighborhood dog, and especially a bear.     Just wait until the couple step outside to see a bear shredding their garbage can.   Or (I used to live in Colorado) they pick up birdseed, and leave the car outside, and it gets ripped apart.     Hummingbird feeders with the sugar water attract bears too. 

I didn't see this episode, but I live in Asheville.  When we first moved here we learned very quickly to keep our garage door closed at all times so the bears won't come and snack on what's in our garbage can.  We've heard of car doors getting ripped off by bears seeking food. I doubt a bungee cord will deter them. (There are special anti-bear garbage cans, but they cost a fortune.)  Off to find this episode on demand!

• Love 1

The Charlottesville homes were exceptionally ugly.

The woman's delight in hideous features being quirky was ridiculous. A hulking stone fireplace in the middle of the room is a design flaw. A hole caught in a staircase to the basement is a design flaw as all it does is prevent one from utilizing a wall as one might like.

I lived in Charlottesville for awhile and I don't remember the homes being quite so bad. I lived in the overseer's house on the grounds of an old plantation for a year. That place actually did have a fireplace with the brick chimney running up to the second floor but it was a nice design element. It was a two sided fireplace with one side on the living room and the other side on kitchen. But it didn't bisect the rooms or the home bizarrely and was a really nice authentic design element as it would have provided the heat source prior to central heating and might also have been used for cooking on the kitchen portion back in the day. And it didn't just hulk on the second floor the way it did in the HH home - the chimney ran through my bedroom and again was just a nice discrete element like one might have an exposed brick wall in a hipster pad. Probably helped that it was brick and so was tidy instead of bulbous.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lady Lucy said:

I didn't see this episode, but I live in Asheville.  When we first moved here we learned very quickly to keep our garage door closed at all times so the bears won't come and snack on what's in our garbage can.  We've heard of car doors getting ripped off by bears seeking food. I doubt a bungee cord will deter them. (There are special anti-bear garbage cans, but they cost a fortune.)  Off to find this episode on demand!

Hi there! We live in Asheville too- actually Leicester. Approximately 3 miles outside of city limits where homes are (were) much more affordable. Can’t walk to downtown but back in 2009 when we bought our home we paid about  $185,000 for it. 1900 sq. Ft. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and an acre of land. We’ve since added an additional full bathroom and Zillow tells me my home is now worth $300,000.

My husband frequently works on Town Mountain and comes home with bear prints on his door handles from where they’ve tried to open his door. Fortunately we don’t have bear out here in the country. They seem to be mostly a problem closer to the city. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, amarante said:

The Charlottesville homes were exceptionally ugly.

The woman's delight in hideous features being quirky was ridiculous. A hulking stone fireplace in the middle of the room is a design flaw. A hole caught in a staircase to the basement is a design flaw as all it does is prevent one from utilizing a wall as one might like.

I lived in Charlottesville for awhile and I don't remember the homes being quite so bad. I lived in the overseer's house on the grounds of an old plantation for a year. That place actually did have a fireplace with the brick chimney running up to the second floor but it was a nice design element. It was a two sided fireplace with one side on the living room and the other side on kitchen. But it didn't bisect the rooms or the home bizarrely and was a really nice authentic design element as it would have provided the heat source prior to central heating and might also have been used for cooking on the kitchen portion back in the day. And it didn't just hulk on the second floor the way it did in the HH home - the chimney ran through my bedroom and again was just a nice discrete element like one might have an exposed brick wall in a hipster pad. Probably helped that it was brick and so was tidy instead of bulbous.

Heh, I wished I understood more the location of the places. They got the only one I thought was reasonable, so I was happy.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mountainair said:

My husband frequently works on Town Mountain and comes home with bear prints on his door handles from where they’ve tried to open his door. Fortunately we don’t have bear out here in the country. They seem to be mostly a problem closer to the city. 

The bears are probably too full from the bungie corded trash can buffets the buyers from the show the other night are offering every night.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

I love Asheville.  I'm looking forward to when I'll feel comfortable flying again and I want to go back for fall colors. (Floridian)

I love Asheville too. I did the Asheville Marathon a couple of years ago (at the Biltmore), and just enjoyed the whole area.  

• Love 1

I thought the Tucson couple were weird. The producers must have done a happy dance when they saw their audition tape. They must rent a storage unit for their Halloween crap. And 30-60 people at their parties? Good thing they live in the boonies. I wouldn't want them next door to me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

30-60 people at a party.  I told DH I have a hard time coming up with 15 people I want to spend more than a few hours with.  Yikes!   I would love to see the house fully decorated for Halloween.  I wonder if its a theme or just random stuff.

• Love 5

I found the Chicago wife to be annoying. I got the impression she was trying out for her own Reality TV show. She evidently memorized every phrase in the producer's script. Her walking into a walk-in closet the size of a room and dismissively calling it "too small" was the height of pretentiousness. Get over yourself woman.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I found the Chicago wife to be annoying. I got the impression she was trying out for her own Reality TV show. She evidently memorized every phrase in the producer's script. Her walking into a walk-in closet the size of a room and dismissively calling it "too small" was the height of pretentiousness. Get over yourself woman.

Agree. And they started out so far apart budget wise.   I am originally from Chicago and was glad they picked the house in Pill Hill.  Woodlawn home was lovely but Woodlawn is still pretty crime ridden.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

She was a bit much.  I loved her husband and how affected he was when she spoke of her father's illness.  He seemed like a great guy.  I thought for sure they'd pick the newish suburban house and I loved that they picked the Pill Hill house.  I never heard of Pill Hill and spent an hour or so googling, interesting history.  The house was dated but I loved it.  I hope they keep some of its 70s glory.

• Love 3

I had to laugh when the Chicago wife called the room sized closet, "too small".    With doing built ins yourself, you could put a ton of clothes, and storage in there.   That's when I knew they didn't buy that house.   I did like the one they bought, and think with some sweat equity, it will be spectacular.     However, I would have spent a little extra, and on day one hire a construction dumpster, and crew to strip the carpets, or other flooring that needed to go, get rid of the hideous drapes, and clear out places like the attic or basement or other storage that people often overlook when clearing out.   All of the old ugly stuff removed at once would be worth it.     I wonder if the big box stores are still doing the installation bargains the way they used to?    The ideal situation would be walking into your home, with flooring replaced, and ready to paint, and move in.  

The San Diego couple tonight are delusional!    They want something for $1.4 million, gourmet kitchen, many bedrooms, big yard, near the beach, and with an ocean view.   Guess what, their realtor obviously wants to have them both committed for their wish list, and prices.    No surprise that they've been looking for over 2 years, without success.    The wife was a Raiders cheerleader for a while, and says she just tried out on a lark, and was the worst cheerleader on the squad.    That was funny.  

On the second house, I have to laugh about the husband liking the privacy of the back yard, when you can see the neighboring houses with clear views of the yard, and house.   I actually agree with the wife on this house, the dark cabinets in the kitchen, and built-ins make the place look dark.   So they bought the second house, with no privacy, and for just over $2.0 Million.     The poor realtor who is working with them looks like she wants to be anywhere but with the house hunters. 

The couple in Vancouver, WA are such a joke.    The wife actually said, she wants her dream home, and doesn't care that it's over budget.    As the wife said, only the husband is working, but they should still get what she likes, because she'll be designing it.      I bet designing it means, buying everything her little, trendy heart desires.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I’m trying to find the humor in Joe, the insufferable asshat who’s failed for two years to bend the San Diego real estate market knee to his stupid delusions.

Karen isn’t much better, she can’t take much more of the emotional roller coaster she keeps buying tickets for. Who raised these misfits?

Waiting for agent Rannie to start blinking in Morse Code to send help.

Allegedly, they got their purchase price down $150k or so, but, ha, not under the 2 mil he seemed determined to beat. Ugh. I need a shower.

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had to laugh when the Chicago wife called the room sized closet, "too small".    With doing built ins yourself, you could put a ton of clothes, and storage in there.   That's when I knew they didn't buy that house.   I did like the one they bought, and think with some sweat equity, it will be spectacular.     However, I would have spent a little extra, and on day one hire a construction dumpster, and crew to strip the carpets, or other flooring that needed to go, get rid of the hideous drapes, and clear out places like the attic or basement or other storage that people often overlook when clearing out.   All of the old ugly stuff removed at once would be worth it.     I wonder if the big box stores are still doing the installation bargains the way they used to?    The ideal situation would be walking into your home, with flooring replaced, and ready to paint, and move in.  

The San Diego couple tonight are delusional!    They want something for $1.4 million, gourmet kitchen, many bedrooms, big yard, near the beach, and with an ocean view.   Guess what, their realtor obviously wants to have them both committed for their wish list, and prices.    No surprise that they've been looking for over 2 years, without success.    The wife was a Raiders cheerleader for a while, and says she just tried out on a lark, and was the worst cheerleader on the squad.    That was funny.  

On the second house, I have to laugh about the husband liking the privacy of the back yard, when you can see the neighboring houses with clear views of the yard, and house.   I actually agree with the wife on this house, the dark cabinets in the kitchen, and built-ins make the place look dark.   So they bought the second house, with no privacy, and for just over $2.0 Million.   

The couple in Vancouver, WA are such a joke.    The wife actually said, she wants her dream home, and doesn't care that it's over budget.    As the wife said, only the husband is working, but they should still get what she likes, because she'll be designing it.      I bet designing it means, buying everything her little, trendy heart desires.  

Yes, she definitely showed she's every bit a 21 year-old!  Although she seemed to have watched too many episodes of "Donna Reed."  

4 hours ago, buttersister said:

I’m trying to find the humor in Joe, the insufferable asshat who’s failed for two years to bend the San Diego real estate market knee to his stupid delusions.

Karen isn’t much better, she can’t take much more of the emotional roller coaster she keeps buying tickets for. Who raised these misfits?

Allegedly, they got their purchase price down $150k or so, but, ha, not under the 2 mil he seemed determined to beat. Ugh. I need a shower.

He was a like an entitled 2 year-old.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

No kidding! He's been looking for 2 years. He knows what the market is. Wanting something doesn't make it reality. The repeated mantra - for 1.8 million we should get everything we want. No dumbass, the market is whatever people are willing to pay, not what you "want". 

• Love 3
On 9/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, chessiegal said:

I thought the Tucson couple were weird. The producers must have done a happy dance when they saw their audition tape. They must rent a storage unit for their Halloween crap. And 30-60 people at their parties? Good thing they live in the boonies. I wouldn't want them next door to me.

...but if you lived next door, you would probably be be part of the 30-60 people invited to the party.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There are people who are day trading? Seriously? And someone is in paying money for instructions on how to lose a lot of money quickly?

He married his mother as his mother looks like what the wife will look like 30 years from now if not sooner. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

San Diego Joe Fuknut was a pain in the ass.  Total jerk, and his wife, who found the kitchen cabinets in house too depressing wasn’t much better.  How can cabinets make someone sad, like she commented.  But when I looked at Fuknut, if he put on some weight, he’d be a close copy of Uncle Fester from Adams Family——pale face and sunken eyes. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

I realize personal finances are relative but I am generally really confused when HH buying relatively expensive homes grouse about doing remodeling or maintenance or having to clean rooms.

In my experience those who can afford expensive homes generally hire people to do work around the house unless they have a particular passion and do stuff as a sort of hobby. 

Certainly I don't think someone living in a million dollar home is cleaning his/her own bathrooms nor are they doing yardwork unless gardening is a real interest.

I can understand why someone doesn't want to do a major kitchen or bath renovation because it's incredibly disruptive. But people earning enough to buy an expensive home don't generally spend their nights and weekends putting down floors. For starters, they generally have jobs which aren't 9 to 5 and/or their hourly "wage" is far more valuable than what they would be paying for the services.

I just saw a rerun of HH in Texas buying what I think would be upscale homes ($700,000) and the guy is acting as if he would be physically hauling out dirt and putting up sheet rock 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

In 2 years they couldn't find a house that was 1.8m.  So they ended up paying well over their budget and far from the beach. I wonder if they could have found more of what they wanted if their budget was realistic to begin with.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, twinks said:

In 2 years they couldn't find a house that was 1.8m.  So they ended up paying well over their budget and far from the beach. I wonder if they could have found more of what they wanted if their budget was realistic to begin with.

What they wanted would be about three million dollars at minimum. The more you can spend the less you have to compromise  most people realize what their budget will buy after a shorter period of time and determine what’s most important to get at their highest price point.

So what they actually wanted was a large house in a community for $2 million which is what they got. 

In my experience, unless you literally II even within walking distance of the beach, you still run into issues of parking and shlepping your stuff if you actually want to be at the beach. 

Don’t get me wrong. If you live in a California coast town like Santa Monica there are benefits. The air is better and the climate is more temperate because you get ocean breezes. But for actual day to day use, a pool makes more sense in terms of being used. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, amarante said:

There are people who are day trading? Seriously? And someone is in paying money for instructions on how to lose a lot of money quickly?

He married his mother as his mother looks like what the wife will look like 30 years from now if not sooner. 

There are YouTubers claiming that they turned $5k into $500k in a month with stock/options/forex trading, and enough gullible idiots out there to give them millions of views, so that's how people like him make money.

I totally agree about the wife looking like the mom, I even thought at first that they were living with her mom, not his. What the heck does she do as a "stay at home wife" with no children and living in someone else's house?

San Diego husband can't really be that ignorant about the housing market two years into the search. They're coming from Silicon Valley, which is in the same state and also competitive and overpriced. Most people would have figured out the situation after a week, and either lowered their expectations or increased their budget.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, amarante said:

I realize personal finances are relative but I am generally really confused when HH buying relatively expensive homes grouse about doing remodeling or maintenance or having to clean rooms.

In my experience those who can afford expensive homes generally hire people to do work around the house unless they have a particular passion and do stuff as a sort of hobby. 

Certainly I don't think someone living in a million dollar home is cleaning his/her own bathrooms nor are they doing yardwork unless gardening is a real interest.

I can understand why someone doesn't want to do a major kitchen or bath renovation because it's incredibly disruptive. But people earning enough to buy an expensive home don't generally spend their nights and weekends putting down floors. For starters, they generally have jobs which aren't 9 to 5 and/or their hourly "wage" is far more valuable than what they would be paying for the services.

I just saw a rerun of HH in Texas buying what I think would be upscale homes ($700,000) and the guy is acting as if he would be physically hauling out dirt and putting up sheet rock 

I hear you, but I really think it depends on the person and the area.  Many of the people I know who live in expensive houses have afforded them only because they've been frugal and do most, if not all, of their domestic work.

2 hours ago, readheaded said:

I hear you, but I really think it depends on the person and the area.  Many of the people I know who live in expensive houses have afforded them only because they've been frugal and do most, if not all, of their domestic work.

I realize that there are variations - but it seems to be a producer driven cliche much like woman wants large closets - man wants man cave for his hot dog machine. There are economics involved for sure in buying homes that need major remodels. 

Someone doesn't want to do any kind of remodeling to force the fake issue between new build and fixer upper or something in between that just needs a coat of paint.

And it is really crazy and stupid when the person saying this is someone who is in the construction, remodeling or design business because then it is automatic that they are going to take the home that needs the most work :-).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

There are YouTubers claiming that they turned $5k into $500k in a month with stock/options/forex trading, and enough gullible idiots out there to give them millions of views, so that's how people like him make money.

I totally agree about the wife looking like the mom, I even thought at first that they were living with her mom, not his. What the heck does she do as a "stay at home wife" with no children and living in someone else's house?

San Diego husband can't really be that ignorant about the housing market two years into the search. They're coming from Silicon Valley, which is in the same state and also competitive and overpriced. Most people would have figured out the situation after a week, and either lowered their expectations or increased their budget.

That is like at the height of the housing bubble before it collapsed in 2008 there were flippers who made money by traveling from city to city and selling expensive how to manuals. I know there was a flipper in Texas called Armando who had a show and was a true scammer. And there were some brothers with a show that also peddled their formula for getting rich by flipping. When they were getting rich from selling books and their shows were essentially just infomercials. And also a show on flippers based in Atlanta who were also scammers. 

And I also thought they were mother/daughter and had to go back and realize that Cameron was the man and therefore it was his mother.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Where would we be without the crisis created by the wrong color cabinet doors? Remember several years ago when a prospective kitchen without stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and an island was an abomination against the Lord? Who were these people and how could they live like this?!

Walking into a house and expecting it to be to their specifications is a combination of producer-driven plot lines and entitled semi-delusional house hunters whose lives operate like a letter to Santa. That's why the occasional normal hunters with realistic expectations and no need to pick at each other or their realtor in front of a camera are enjoyable to watch. You know, so you can see a bunch of houses and try guessing which one they will pick/already own!

• Love 11

Oh, just wait until the very young blonde wife in Vancouver, WA achieves her goals. 

Right now, she’s living in her mother-in-law’s home, and not working!  

She undoubtedly spends her days looking at Pinterest and dreaming of her perfect future children in their perfect future home.  

She seemed very entitled and unaware what her  responsibilities will be as a wife (without her mother-in-law), busy mother, and homeowner.

• Love 6

Just watching all of my DVR'd episodes...13 in all!!  Anyway I was picking and choosing and chose the Sept 29 episode with the young girl buying in Millford, Ct because I've been there and the town is beautiful.

Oh my God!  Her parents went with her and they are the most annoying parents yet.  The mother obsessed with having a mud room/coat closet and acted like she was auditioning for a game show!!  Come on down, Ma.

The houses were very depressing and she ended up going against her parents and getting a crappy condo. 

But those parents...ugh.  Worth watching for the snark.

Edited by NYGirl
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1