Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh good god. 32 year old therapist from Chicago. I think she needs a better therapist of her own to work on the narcissism. She’s very impressed with herself. She’s so proud that she’s able to buy a home at her age (Hello? Her Mom just told us they were helping the daughter with the down payment.) Plus she compares her situation to her 90 year old Grandmothers! What do you mean women born in 1930 wouldn’t have been able to buy homes by themselves when they were 32?? She must be a truly remarkable person if she’s able to do in 2022 what women weren’t able to do in 1960.

She’s been looking for a year+ and can’t even afford a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath she likes even with financial help from Mommy and Daddy. Maybe she fell off her stripper pole a few times and hit her head.

• LOL 11
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Oh good god. 32 year old therapist from Chicago. I think she needs a better therapist of her own to work on the narcissism. She’s very impressed with herself. She’s so proud that she’s able to buy a home at her age (Hello? Her Mom just told us they were helping the daughter with the down payment.) Plus she compares her situation to her 90 year old Grandmothers! What do you mean women born in 1930 wouldn’t have been able to buy homes by themselves when they were 32?? She must be a truly remarkable person if she’s able to do in 2022 what women weren’t able to do in 1960.

She’s been looking for a year+ and can’t even afford a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath she likes even with financial help from Mommy and Daddy. Maybe she fell off her stripper pole a few times and hit her head.

I hope she's an animal therapist. I can't imagine her helping any human being.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

I missed the beginning, so didn’t know Chicago woman  was a therapist.  I thought she was a dancer and that’s why she wanted a room for a pole.  Was the pole for exercise? I thought she was very annoying too.  Laminate countertops — heaven forbid!!! 🙄🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Chicago HH - planning to ruin the nice wood cabinets with a crappy paint job that will peel and chip within a few months because neither the mother nor HH have a clue regarding how to properly paint cabinets.

So the ugly duct work is I guess a cheap way to put in air conditioning and not have to conceal the ducts in a ceiling. I lived in a "loft" in NYC and it didn't have ugly ducts exposed on the ceiling. Exposed brick is one thing - how did exposed ducts become an aesthetic choice when they were obviously a way to put in A/C inexpensively?

The first unit had death stairs. Forget coming home drunk. I can't imagine those stairs could pass code since you could fall off on either side. 

I'll give her a pass on talking about the grandmothers because the reality is that women could not get credit until the late 1960's absent extremely unusual circumstances but the standard woman couldn't and married women definitely couldn't establish a separate line of credit.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Thumper said:

I missed the beginning, so didn’t know Chicago woman  was a therapist.  I thought she was a dancer and that’s why she wanted a room for a pole.  Was the pole for exercise? I thought she was very annoying too.  Laminate countertops — heaven forbid!!! 🙄🙄

She began pole dancing as an escape from her very “stressful job.” I’ll allow that she has a lot of responsibility (if she practices on humans 😂, @Dehumidifier), but the way she presented it rolled right into her self-ingratiating manner.

This was good for many laughs. 👍

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I wouldn't have replaced or repainted the kitchen or bathroom cabinets.   Refacing will give you any look you want, is done in a few days, with any color or style you want, and compared to replacing, a lot cheaper.   

The NY area couple were cute.   They had a budget, they had a reasonable list of wants, and ended up with a nice house.    Two people who know what compromise is.    

Bay City, Michigan couple, very incompatible.   He wants a house to accommodate a future family, she wants a small house and to move on once they have kids.  She actually said they should get a small house, and move in a couple of years.    Since they'll probably have to go over list price, and selling you have to pay all of the commissions when you sell, and probably more closing costs, this is a recipe for disaster.    Who knows what the housing market will be like in a couple of years.   You know the biggest factor in the demise of marriages?   Financial issues, and other different goals.   

Personally, she seems to have a huge array of padded headbands, and I dislike every one of them.        In the third house, the cubby for the fridge is too small to fit a normal one, the realtor suggests getting an apartment size, or two of them.  My suggestion is rip the little cabinet in the fridge cubby, and  a regular one will fit.    It will take five minutes to fix the fridge issue.     A couple who need sparate houses.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, amarante said:

I'll give her a pass on talking about the grandmothers because the reality is that women could not get credit until the late 1960's absent extremely unusual circumstances but the standard woman couldn't and married women definitely couldn't establish a separate line of credit.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. (Not sure what a "standard" woman is, though). It's just hard to believe that a woman her age didn't already know this. Each day, I'm stunned by the things people don't know despite access to information at their fingertips. Wait till she finds out that K Harris is the first female Vice President. It'll rock her world.

I'm not sure how far removed she is from her grandmothers if she needs her parents to put out the money for her home's down payment.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, mojito said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. (Not sure what a "standard" woman is, though). It's just hard to believe that a woman her age didn't already know this. Each day, I'm stunned by the things people don't know despite access to information at their fingertips. Wait till she finds out that K Harris is the first female Vice President. It'll rock her world.

I'm not sure how far removed she is from her grandmothers if she needs her parents to put out the money for her home's down payment.

By standard I just meant there might have been extremely unusual circumstances in which a particular woman had established a separate financial life but it was rare. 

I don’t think having parents provide a down payment is rare as many people I know got help with the down as their parents gave them some of what was going to be their inheritance. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, amarante said:

I don’t think having parents provide a down payment is rare as many people I know got help with the down as their parents gave them some of what was going to be their inheritance. 

Right. So she's relying on Mommy and Daddy to purchase her home as her grandmothers used to rely on their husbands. How far she's come!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, mojito said:

Right. So she's relying on Mommy and Daddy to purchase her home as her grandmothers used to rely on their husbands. How far she's come!

I don't think this is gender based as boys as well as couple - both gay and straight get help from their parents on down payments. My parents gave both my brother and I equal amounts for the downpayment on our first home purchases. 

At any rate the issue would be the mortgage which would have been almost impossible for a woman to get prior to the 1970's absent unusual financial circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, edie3 said:

I'm surprised the Bay City woman didn't demand a walk in closet for all her headbands!

I felt sad for them. It was a cute home, but I’d be embarrassed to tell people we were living there because the self-proclaimed Bridezilla spent all our money.

eta: She has more headbands than I do shoes! Literally.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

It was a cute home, but two bed 1 bath is going to be out grown quickly, especially since I'm positive the Princess Bride will demand the second bedroom be turned into a giant closet for her dressing room, closet and make up room.    I would have bought either one of the two bigger homes.     Then, you can fix up as you go along with items like the carpet or other flooring, and not have to move in a couple of years.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I haven't been able to watch because the "service" I used to watch live episodes is apparently down. And Discovery + only has old episodes. Most recent is from summer 2021. Very sad.

Same here. I have to go back about 20 pages to see commentary on the shows that Discovery+ adds each week. I recently cancelled my U-verse service and I don’t want the packages that Sling & Hulu offer. Any ideas on how I can keep current? 

36 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

Same here. I have to go back about 20 pages to see commentary on the shows that Discovery+ adds each week. I recently cancelled my U-verse service and I don’t want the packages that Sling & Hulu offer. Any ideas on how I can keep current? 

I broke down and bought Sling. It's $35 a month. The previous service I was using probably got sued and was therefore taken down. That happens a lot. With Sling I can at least watch episodes live.

• Love 1

So tonight's new one is Breaking Free in Los Angeles.   A yound skin care entrepreneur looking for something in Hollywood, her sister wants her to buy a bigger place in the burbs. Her opinionated sister is also her agent.   Her budget is $700k, her sister wants her to get three bedrooms, she wants 2, sister wants her to spend $750k (my guess is if she finds something for $700k, it will probably go for at least $750k)  

#1-$695k, West Hollywood 1 bed 1 bath, high rise,  HOA is just under $1k a month.   condo is less than 900 sq. ft. kitchen is smallish, but lots of cabinets for storage. closet is small. 

#2-Santa Clarita, single family, $739k, 1500 sq ft 3 bed 3 bath, plus a movie theater room,   no HOA, I think there's too much stuff in the house for it to be a real choice. 

#3- Porter Ranch, west valley, a corner single family, with a nice garage.  $729k,  2 bed 2.5 bath $172 month HOA, 1255 sq. ft., both bedrooms upstairs have en suites.  nice closet.  I don't think stairs, two bedrooms, and the upstairs bedroom carpet will be $8k to replace.  

She picks #3.

• Love 3

Hollywood. Younger sister always wearing outfits to show how much slimmer she is. Wonder if after the pool is finished, the HOA will go down at #1? I like #3 but that yard spot was so tiny.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2022 at 10:11 AM, Dehumidifier said:

I hope she's an animal therapist. I can't imagine her helping any human being.

She said she was a physical therapist, I believe.

11 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I felt sad for them. It was a cute home, but I’d be embarrassed to tell people we were living there because the self-proclaimed Bridezilla spent all our money.

eta: She has more headbands than I do shoes! Literally.

Those headbands were ridiculous. Grow up, lady! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

The home prices in Bay City, Michigan were really cheap. I hated that mid-century home, but I am surprised the husband compromised so much. Their choice was the small 2 bedroom and didn't he say he needed a separate office? He mentioned turning the dining room into an office, but then where would they eat? As I recall, their kitchen was small. On a shallow note, the wife's posture was atrocious. I also thought a home purchase is more important than a wedding in terms of allocating a ridiculous sum for a reception that could go towards a hefty down payment. Mileage may vary.

I liked the NY couple and enjoy seeing other parts of my state. I believe Pleasantville is upper Westchester, though. I'm always shocked that a person doesn't drive. The woman said she was originally from Florida. Perhaps she grew up in a large city and didn't need to know how to drive? Anyway, I think they made a good choice. 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Hollywood. Younger sister always wearing outfits to show how much slimmer she is. Wonder if after the pool is finished, the HOA will go down at #1? I like #3 but that yard spot was so tiny.

I was suspicious about the pool rehab at condo #1.    It looked more like drained, not ready for replastering or anything else.   I wonder if something happened, and the pool was drained until they could get on the pool repair company's schedule? 

I hated all of the mirrors in the condo, and it was just too small.   By the way, taking mirrors down is best left to a mirror company.   The first use the big vaccuum handles, and if it doesn't come off easily, they used a wire, pull down and that cuts the stickum that holds the mirror to the wall.    The worst part is getting the sticky stuff flat and painted over.     You don't run in, smash everything with a sledge hammer, and get someone hurt.   Also, often the mirrors can get recut and reused

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
54 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was suspicious about the pool rehab at condo #1.    It looked more like drained, not ready for replastering or anything else.  

I live in a high rise condo in Los Angeles and we have occasionally had these kinds of major projects. It is quite believable that it was in the process of being done because these buildings would not have a pool and common area left like this.

In general major projects are funded by the reserves which condos are required to fund and maintain. If the reserve doesn't have enough because the project is too costly then there is a special assessment and in general you can either pay it off right away or you can pay in installments over the course of five years or so. When a unit is sold the special assessment has to be paid in full as part of the escrow disbursements.

I am not sure why she had such awful choices although I am pretty sure that she wanted to stay in that area which would be closer to the family business.

West Hollywood is very expensive but she could have gotten a much nicer condo in the closer areas of the San Fernando Valley or Burbank. Santa Clarita and Porter Ranch are really exurban and not normally where most single people would choose to live.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 3
(edited)
51 minutes ago, mojito said:

Hollywood

I couldn't get past the parents' home! I could only imagine the kind of comments they'd get if their house was featured on HH.

There are houses and design centers in Los Angeles that cater to that specific design taste. In certain neighborhoods in Los Angeles there were homes built in that style about a decade ago but that seems to have subsided to a great extent.  It is viewed as exhibiting one’s affluence. 

I am not surprised she liked the mirrors although most people viewing the unit would have been immediately calculating the cost to rip out and repair the walls. 😂😂😂🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️But I found all of her options terrible and she could have gotten a nicer place in a better location for a single woman although ironically West Hollywood isn’t exactly a straight single woman Mecca althiugh the area she was looking in was more accurately Beverly Hills adjacent because thst is where the condos with valets are near Doheny. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, amarante said:

But I found all of her options terrible and she could have gotten a nicer place in a better location for a single woman although ironically West Hollywood isn’t exactly a straight single woman Mecca althiugh the area she was looking in was more accurately Beverly Hills adjacent because thst is where the condos with valets are near Doheny. 

I agree with you.  My daughter and her family live in West L.A. and I was very surprised at the 3 choices her sister showed her.  I thought one was worse than the other.  

As an aside, did anybody catch what business the family was in?  I replayed the mention of it several times; however, the answer was unintelligible.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojito said:

Hollywood

I couldn't get past the parents' home! I could only imagine the kind of comments they'd get if their house was featured on HH.

It seemed to me what people who don't really have a point of reference would think a classy, expensive home would look like. Cram as many overly ornate objects into a room as possible to show everyone you're wealthy. Except it comes across as trying too hard.

I actually thought the one she'd purchased was the best of the three options. WeHo was too small and the other one was too obviously a decoy and was impractical for a single woman who owns and runs her own business.

I thought she said her dad has his own health care products business. Something like that. 

• Love 1
On 5/26/2022 at 11:53 AM, amarante said:

It's not rare at all, but the HHer was acting like she was doing it all on her own and how amazing she could at her age, when in reality she wasn't doing it all on her own.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, amarante said:

At any rate the issue would be the mortgage which would have been almost impossible for a woman to get prior to the 1970's absent unusual financial circumstances. 

Which is why comparing herself to her grandmother regarding buying a home on her own was stupid to begin with.

23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It was a cute home, but two bed 1 bath is going to be out grown quickly, especially since I'm positive the Princess Bride will demand the second bedroom be turned into a giant closet for her dressing room, closet and make up room.    I would have bought either one of the two bigger homes.     Then, you can fix up as you go along with items like the carpet or other flooring, and not have to move in a couple of years.  

Some people would be perfectly happy with that cute 2 bed/1 bath house for the rest of their lives.  Not that princess, of course.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I liked the NY couple and enjoy seeing other parts of my state. I believe Pleasantville is upper Westchester, though. I'm always shocked that a person doesn't drive. The woman said she was originally from Florida. Perhaps she grew up in a large city and didn't need to know how to drive? Anyway, I think they made a good choice. 

My grandmother was a born and raised New Yorker and never learned to drive. My mother, also born and raised in NYC, didn’t learn to drive until college where she met my father, who taught her. My grandfather knew how but I’m pretty sure they didn’t own a car when she was growing up so he didn’t teach her. (I’m not sure when her sister learned.)

I thought the Westchester woman said she didn’t like to drive, not that she didn’t know how. She said something like “driving into the city is a problem.” They were a nice couple. Some of those bathrooms were hideous, my God - the green toilet and sink?

1 hour ago, mojito said:

Hollywood

I thought it was so tacky, I’m sorry. I hate decor like that.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:53 AM, amarante said:

It’s not - the Westchester couple was using some or all of the non-driving one’s inheritance as the down payment. The issue was more of the “born on third and thinks she hit a triple” attitude. It’s like in Knives Out when Jamie Lee Curtis’s character says she built her business from nothing when her father loaned her $1M to start it. 

18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Hollywood. Younger sister always wearing outfits to show how much slimmer she is.

The house hunter wasn’t overweight - in fact she had a nice curvy figure, small waist - but she wore a purple dress that was too small when she saw the first place. I kept thinking “go up a size!” The blue dress she wore to see the third place fit better.

She kept saying the second house was too big but I think it was like 1500 square feet, which doesn’t sound huge to me. I don’t think I’d want more space than that as a single person (and I wouldn’t want a third bathroom) but I could easily fill a 3/2 or 2/2 1500-square-foot place, particularly since I work remotely. I think the place she ended up with was around that size.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

My grandmother was a born and raised New Yorker and never learned to drive. My mother, also born and raised in NYC, didn’t learn to drive until college where she met my father, who taught her. My grandfather knew how but I’m pretty sure they didn’t own a car when she was growing up so he didn’t teach her. (I’m not sure when her sister learned.)

I thought the Westchester woman said she didn’t like to drive, not that she didn’t know how. She said something like “driving into the city is a problem.” They were a nice couple. Some of those bathrooms were hideous, my God - the green toilet and sink?

Yes, she knew how but didn't want to.

6 hours ago, amarante said:

thst is where the condos with valets are near Doheny.

I didn't understand the valet.  Valet parking?  That guests have to use it if they come visit you?  Do the tenants have to, too? 

5 hours ago, edie3 said:

I thought I heard water filtration maybe.

That's what I heard.  At one point they were talking about how many gallons some new client was going to be having treated.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I didn't understand the valet.  Valet parking?  That guests have to use it if they come visit you?  Do the tenants have to, too? 

Many of the larger condo buildings in Los Angeles have valet parking for residents and guests. They are scattered in certain neighborhoods and from what was seen of the neighborhood around the first home, it looked like it was one of the buildings around Doheny. 

This is a significant benefit because parking can be difficult. If someone rents a condo from an owner they have all the benefits/rights of the condo owner so they would have valet parking as well. A resident doesn't have to use the valet as they can just drive to their designated spot if they want but you can't have guest parking in a high density area without valet parking. 

It is also a significant safety factor as is a doorman which also are in certain of the larger condo buildings in Los Angeles.

The reason why a valet offers additional safety is that no one can sneak into the garage as can happen with an unattended garage gate. That happens when the gate opens to let a car enter and someone sneaks in after the car and lurks in the garage and either steals from the cars or worse attacks residents. It is also theoretically a way for someone to enter the building and gain access to higher floors.

My building has 24 hour doormen and valets and there has never been any theft, attack or vandalism in my building. All of the CC cameras also help provide security of course but the reality is that why would someone choose to attempt to break into my building when there are buildings all around which are easier to access and even if they got into the building how would they remove any stolen goods and their face would be on multiple video cameras as they moved through the building. My sardonic joke is that I would always have an alibi in the event my loved one was murdered even if I were home with no one to verify my alibi because there would be a video record of when I came into my unit and when I left it.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Just catching up with HH on my DVR. 
I couldn't believe that, when presenting/discussing the houses that the New York couple looked at, the solar panels (on two of the three!) were not even mentioned. I would think that would be a significant feature.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, amarante said:

My building has 24 hour doormen and valets and there has never been any theft, attack or vandalism in my building. All of the CC cameras also help provide security of course but the reality is that why would someone choose to attempt to break into my building when there are buildings all around which are easier to access and even if they got into the building how would they remove any stolen goods and their face would be on multiple video cameras as they moved through the building. My sardonic joke is that I would always have an alibi in the event my loved one was murdered even if I were home with no one to verify my alibi because there would be a video record of when I came into my unit and when I left it.

So you never ever leave on foot?

10 hours ago, amarante said:
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

So you never ever leave on foot?

In Los Angeles people do generally drive everywhere - that cliche is true even though I live in what by LA standards is a very walkable neighborhood.

I am not sure what you are questioning but I assume you meant my tongue in cheek comment regarding always having an alibi because all of my movements are being videotaped as are the theoretical criminals in the building.

However I have to physically walk out of my unit to get to my car - into the common area hallway - onto the elevator and these areas have video cameras recording 24/7 so anyone moving about any area of the building is recorded. Not only are they recorded but there is a screen at the doorman's desk which shows what is being taped by the cameras.

In high rises the parking for residents and guests is generally in the lower levels because the reason there are high rises is because the land values make it economically rational to have density on the plot of land and so an open parking lot would be a waste of land and money.

In other words as soon as I open the door to my unit I am recorded. In fact if I decide to actually walk outside the building I would be even more conspicuous because I would not only be recorded but since I would have to go through the lobby, the doormen would see me and the security cameras in the lobby also record sound 🤷🏼‍♀️😂

That is pretty much the kind of security that most high rise buildings in metropolitan areas like New York and Chicago have as well. Doormen buildings are much more common in New York City of course although most buildings in New York don't have parking so they don't have valet parking but the doormen in will often help people in and out of the taxi (or now Uber) and in the old days would hail a taxi.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, amarante said:

In other words as soon as I open the door to my unit I am recorded. In fact if I decide to actually walk outside the building I would be even more conspicuous because I would not only be recorded but since I would have to go through the lobby, the doormen would see me and the security cameras in the lobby also record sound 🤷🏼‍♀️😂

Wouldn't want that. Find the senior citizens in my building watching everyone come and go annoying enough!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, edie3 said:

I thought I heard water filtration maybe.

House Hunter said she is the marketing director in the family's water filtration business and CEO of her own company, selling a beauty device she invented.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Wouldn't want that. Find the senior citizens in my building watching everyone come and go annoying enough!

Different strokes. I am glad that I have a high level of security and many people deliberately seek out doorman buildings. Even multifamily homes without doormen now have closed camera security systems in the halls and elevators. 

In HH security is sometimes mentioned as a concern of HH - especially single women because they should be aware of potential security issues. In most cities all of the homes will have some form of security system. In poorer areas it will be bars on the windows and some kind of security door and in more affluent areas it will be wired alarm systems with the ubiquitous signs that they are protected by X Company.

I roll my eyes at some of the stupider HH storylines like being worried if the staircase was by the door because the burglar would go up the stairs but I can't imagine the security of the neighborhood and building not being a rational factor in a real house hunt just the same as school district or commute.

If one watches any of the true crime programs, video surveillance is pretty ubiquitous wherever one goes. Since I am not doing anything particularly interesting or nefarious I am fine with someone theoretically being able to look at video watching me. If I were buying shovels and large trash bags at Walmarts at 3 AM I might be worried. 😂🤣

• LOL 6