Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's a very good thing. And I wonder what Parnell means about no more Droughtlander? Does he mean he wants each season to air in the spring and the fall, so there's no...drought? I can't imagine the kind of toll that would take on the cast and crew. I'd also like if they could increase the episodes to 15. This season could definitely have used another two episodes, I think.

I agree. IIRC, RDM made a comment at the beginning of this season that the aim is to start the season in August-September every year going forward.

if they do hit a source material snag, then Starz could green light some of the novellas, similar to what Starz had to do with Spartacus a few years back due to Andy Whitfield’s final illness that led to a six-episode prequel.

34 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Outlander, Caitriona Balfe, and Sam Heughan were all nominated for Satellite Awards:

‘Dunkirk,’ ‘The Shape of Water’ Lead Satellite Award Nominations

https://www.thewrap.com/dunkirk-the-shape-of-water-lead-satellite-award-nominations/

I can't take these awards seriously - they consider This Is Us as a "comedy or musical."  Uh... sure, Mandy Moore and Chrissie Metz sing occasionally, but I wouldn't call it a musical...

On 11/27/2017 at 8:21 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Has anyone heard if either of the last 2 episodes will be longer than an hour?

On 11/27/2017 at 11:21 AM, Glade said:

I'm hoping the finale will be 2+ hours!

According to the schedule at tvguide.com, the finale is only one hour. It's listed as airing 8:00-8:56pm.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Outlander got a few shout outs on this week's episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (S3.E7 - Getting Over Jeff):

Paula: My life is chores and working and studying and never having enough time to finish the last season of Outlander.

Paula: Scott has been so pissy lately. Oh, sometimes I wish I could just touch a stone wall and go back to 1743 to be with my other husband, the Scottish warrior.

Paula: Paula: If I could go through a magical stone wall and pick any man in any time period in any universe I would pick Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise.
Scott: Strong choice. Me same.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Outlander got a few shout outs on this week's episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (S3.E7 - Getting Over Jeff):

Paula: My life is chores and working and studying and never having enough time to finish the last season of Outlander.

Paula: Scott has been so pissy lately. Oh, sometimes I wish I could just touch a stone wall and go back to 1743 to be with my other husband, the Scottish warrior.

Paula: Paula: If I could go through a magical stone wall and pick any man in any time period in any universe I would pick Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise.
Scott: Strong choice. Me same.

I just watched this morning!  Loved the shout outs!

Ron Moore seems pretty confidant that they're going to get season 5, at least:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/outlander-finale-spoilers-caitriona-balfe-sam-heughan-ronald-d-moore-golden-globes-tobias-menzies-electric-dreams-starz-1202223270/

DEADLINE: What about a Season 5 renewal? You got a Season 3 and Season 4 pick-up at the same time last time, so should we expect the same soon here?

MOORE: (laughs) I hope so. Yeah, there’s definitely talks between Sony and Starz. You know, there’s always a lot of negotiations around various renewals, but yeah, I feel pretty confident we’re going to get it. I don’t know when it would be official, or you know what their order pattern is, or any of that kind of stuff. But yeah, I’m not sweating it. Just put it that way.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Nidratime said:

These guys are looking very Daniel Boone-ish, Davy Crockett-ish in their Season 4 get-ups.

At least Jamie got a new coat, and Claire has a new dress!  It's about time!!!!  I have a feeling that season 4 might give us a Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman vibe.

“When you throw this rain in front of the camera in post, and you pump up the wind sounds, and the soundtrack, you just want to believe it,” Moore says with a chuckle. “If you break it down and you really look at it, you go, ‘Wow, that is not a storm at all,’ but the audience just goes with you. They want to believe it's a storm. They're not looking for the flaws. We look for the flaws.”

Oh Ron. You clearly don't know this fandom...

• Love 4

I totally snarked on the lack of waves in the eye of the storm in one of my postings.  So no, Ron, we DO notice these things.  We (or at least *I*) love the show anyway.  But we notice.  Don't get me started again on Jamie "Aquaman" Fraser.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

I totally snarked on the lack of waves in the eye of the storm in one of my postings.  So no, Ron, we DO notice these things.  We (or at least *I*) love the show anyway.  But we notice.  Don't get me started again on Jamie "Aquauaman" Fraser.

Agree with all of this, plus the fact that Claire can hold her breath for... what, like 12 hours?  

• Love 4

Actually, there is little wave action on an ocean surface in the eye of a fully developed hurricane with a large enough eye. So Ron and company got it right.  And it had to have been a large cyclone in order to push the Artemis and its survivors to shore. And the high wave action in the eyewall was accurate as well.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Actually, there is little wave action on an ocean surface in the eye of a fully developed hurricane with a large enough eye. So Ron and company got it right.  And it had to have been a large cyclone in order to push the Artemis and its survivors to shore. And the high wave action in the eyewall was accurate as well.

From Wikipedia:

Though the eye is by far the calmest part of the storm, with no wind at the center and typically clear skies, over the ocean it is possibly the most hazardous area. In the eyewall, wind-driven waves all travel in the same direction. In the center of the eye, however, the waves converge from all directions, creating erratic crests that can build on each other to become rogue waves. The maximum height of hurricane waves is unknown, but measurements during Hurricane Ivan when it was a Category 4 hurricane estimated that waves near the eyewall exceeded 40 m (130 ft) from peak to trough.[28]

Assorted other sources mention that waves in the eye are dangerous.  

Also, hurricanes do not start suddenly the way this storm did.   They aren't tornadoes; they do not appear out of nowhere.  There is a day or two of increasing wind and rain before a hurricane really gets down to business.  Especially the big ones.  

I'm willing to accept that the show, for its own dramatic purposes, had the storm behave the way they needed it to, but I'm not going to pretend that it is depicted accurately.

Edited by toolazy
comma slice
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Also, hurricanes do not start suddenly the way this storm did.   They aren't tornadoes; they do not appear out of nowhere.  There is a day or two of increasing wind and rain before a hurricane really gets down to business.  Especially the big ones.  

If you’re on the cleaner side of a hurricane, it could be a surprise. At least to the magnitude that we saw on the boat, they kind of cut from the “hm, looks like a storm” revelation straight to the “holy shit, we're all gonna die” scenario. 

But at any rate, it’s the dirty side that gets days and days of rain. I was on the cleaner side of Hurricane Ike and we didn’t have any storms until a few hours before it hit.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, toolazy said:

From Wikipedia:

Assorted other sources mention that waves in the eye are dangerous.  

I'm willing to accept that the show, for its own dramatic purposes, had the storm behave the way they needed it to, but I'm not going to pretend that it is depicted accurately.

A rapidly intensifying tropical cyclone with a large enough eye could do what the shoe depicted. While wiki does list known landfalling Atlantic hurricanes during the late 1760s, with 1767 being among the most active on record, less is known about their intensity or size.  The article you cite in Wikipedia is not the case in every instance, and I said as much upthread.

I just received my year-end double-issue of Entertainment Weekly and I'm delighted to report that Sam is featured on the cover (part of a collage of approximately 40 images).  He is not, alas, featured inside (other than his photo on the cover being identified on the table of contents page.)

So, yay for the cover image, but boo for nothing more (and for no Cait.)

Am I wrong?  Did anyone else find a mention of Sam IN the magazine?

• Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 10:27 AM, Nidratime said:

I think the article means that people lie about having read them, when they haven't, instead of lying about not having read them. I can't imagine anyone saying they hadn't read To Kill a Mockingbird when they actually had read it, as most people and critics love that book. Most of those books listed are required reading in many literature courses.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just hope the batshit crazees leave her and her fiancé alone!!!

Yep. I've noticed that this cast is pretty good at keeping their personal lives very private. Not easy to do now. I didn't even know she had a boyfriend, but I don't keep up with their personal lives much.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just hope the batshit crazees leave her and her fiancé alone!!!

Terry Dresbach apparently tweeted her congratulations from her Outlander Costume account and ended up deleting the tweet because the whack jobs came out to play. Apparently they aren't taking this news well, if they even believe it.  

2 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Terry Dresbach apparently tweeted her congratulations from her Outlander Costume account and ended up deleting the tweet because the whack jobs came out to play. Apparently they aren't taking this news well, if they even believe it.  

I saw that! Man, what is it with these people? I feel so bad for Cait's fiancé  and Sam's girlfriend? Or is she his fiancée?

6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I saw that! Man, what is it with these people? I feel so bad for Cait's fiancé  and Sam's girlfriend? Or is she his fiancée?

I just made the huge mistake of googling around for some of the reactions and there is an apparently sizable contingent of people who think that the engagement news is a lie. They believe that Cait's relationship with her fiance is a lie.  Apparently because this man has the wisdom to stay off of social media his existence is "practically mythical." I guess if you aren't on Twitter you don't exist?  I don't know, I just really don't get how people can let their own happiness get wrapped up in the lives of people they don't know and will never know. 

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They are seriously lucky that there are 10 books in the series, as opposed to the problem with Game of Thrones.

And don’t forget Starz can green light production of the various Lord John novellas if they need to, something else GoT didn’t have for HBO.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

And don’t forget Starz can green light production of the various Lord John novellas if they need to, something else GoT didn’t have for HBO.

I thought George RR Martin has written other GoT short stories and spin-offs too?  I think there is other material that HBO could source if they really wanted to... but I think they also know when to end on a high note and not beat a dead horse, so to speak.  

If Outlander goes 8-10 seasons, AND they try a LJG spinoff?  They'll be exhausting their audience; I just don't see it working.

Yeah, I don’t see them finishing this book series. Starz’s track record for not running shows this long notwithstanding, I doubt the actors will want to stick around that long either. 

It’ll end up being like the Traveling Pants movie series when they realized they weren’t gonna get Blake Lively to do more than the two she signed up for: they’ll cram all the rest of the books into the last movie — or in this case, season.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they're negotiating two seasons at once. 5 and 6 and wrap it up. I'm going to watch because I want to see how it ends, but if this season is more indicative of the books than S1 or S2, it's not that good and just hanging around for the sake of hanging around isn't really what the network does. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, ganesh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they're negotiating two seasons at once. 5 and 6 and wrap it up. I'm going to watch because I want to see how it ends, but if this season is more indicative of the books than S1 or S2, it's not that good and just hanging around for the sake of hanging around isn't really what the network does. 

Starz doesn't make these decisions based on what is subjectively "good" or "not that good."  They make decisions based on ratings, subscriptions and probably all kinds of metrics we can't even imagine.  Whether you and I liked the third season is irrelevant - it had series-high ratings and that's what's important. 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 0:23 PM, ganesh said:

I would be surprised if it goes 10 seasons. Just about all the starz shows have short runs. 

Name any other Starz series with such extensive source material. I can’t think of any, which is one reason why Outlander is breaking Starz’s mode. It’s decision to adapt the books with the budget that was required has paid off in eyeballs (of subscribers) for both Starz and Sony, as well as Starz’s new parent company, Lionsgate. 

• Love 1
On 1/17/2018 at 0:12 PM, toolazy said:

Starz doesn't make these decisions based on what is subjectively "good" or "not that good."  They make decisions based on ratings, subscriptions and probably all kinds of metrics we can't even imagine.  Whether you and I liked the third season is irrelevant - it had series-high ratings and that's what's important. 

Just an aside: I just cancelled my Starz app now that this season is over. In the box where they asked why I was cancelling I made sure to say I would be back when S4 starts. (And that I am in the habit of rotating my subscription services anyway for overall cost reasons.) So if they read that I don't know if it helps or not for gauging the success of any particular show, but I at least wanted to give my reasons both for signing up and for (temporarily) dropping their service. I'm on board with the idea that there are many ways the entertainment providers gauge how successful any of their programs are, beyond any niche group voicing opinions around the internet. I think I might be more worried that the "over-invested" members of the fandom could become too toxic for the production company's health and sanity that they decide to cut and run.

Eh, I've been watching the network since its inception, and just don't see it. A ten year show would be a first. Plus I would find it hard to think that the actors would want to play the same characters for 10 years anyway. 

I don't know anything about the books and I don't care to, but if the books have some kind of soft reboot where Brianna and Roger take over and the others fade away then that's a different argument. 

I don't necessarily think that because there's extensive source material that it guarantees a long running show. I don't buy that a show should be long running because there's just a lot of source material either. If the rest of the books are based on this Season's template I think people are going to tire of the show. 

Six seasons is a very good run for any show. 

Well, there aren't 10 books, there currently are eight with a ninth set to come out...whenever Diana finishes it. But, I don't think the source material will determine the length of the show. I think ratings and interest in the show will. As long as people keep watching, I think they'll keep renewing it. 

• Love 1

The books jumped the shark for me somewhere in the middle of the fifth, so how is the show not going to do that too?  (In my opinion, of course.)  If it goes that long, I guess I'll be curious to see how the show can "fix" it.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
Grammar is important.