Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

@FnkyChkn34 I love them too but I haven't seen a new one yet.  She used to post them on Scotland Now's website and I just searched it but did not find the one for S3E01.  I follow her on Twitter so I'll tweet her now.  If I hear anything I'm post it here.

ETA:  it looks like Connie WILL be recapping the episode on a new website (link below) but in the meantime she's posted a few preliminary thoughts.

http://tvkillstime.com/2017/09/10/deep-thoughts-outlander-301-the-battle-joined/

Thank you!!!

ETA:  Just read everything on her blog.  I love it.  It's as if I could have written it myself, but I'm not that confidently witty. :-)

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Just listened to Moore's podcast. No spoilers in it -- so no worries there -- but very interesting. It answers a number of questions I've seen asked on a few threads on this board.

Does he smoke and drink during it? I swear I have misophonia and those sounds drive me up a wall. I find smokers annoying anyway.

He does drink whisky through it, but I don't think he's smoking. Someone announces at the very beginning that they are not going to simultaneously play the audio of the episode loudly while he talks, but they do tell you when to cue up your episode so that it's running for you while he talks. I guess they may have heard that people found the audio to be too loud. I don't know.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:59 AM, Nidratime said:

Ron D. Moore's first podcast covering episode 3.01. Haven't listened to it yet, so I hope there are no spoilers.  He should only be discussing his thoughts and decisions regarding the first episode which we've all seen.

http://assets.starz.com/stzcom/outlander/301podcast.mp3

Hey @Nidratime can I ask how you found the link?  I've tried navigating around in the STARZ.com website to find it with no luck.  I also subscribed to the podcast on iTunes so it is supposed download automatically onto my iPad and so far that hasn't happened either.  If you had not posted the link I would not have been able to listen to it (which I'm about to sit down and do now.)  But how did you find it in the first place?  Is STARZ promoting the link anywhere?

ETA: Okay, I figured out the navigation on STARZ.com.  To find the podcasts the drill down is as follows:

STARZ.com > Series > Outlander > More > Podcasts

I don't know how I missed it before.  But I do think it is odd that STARZ still hasn't uploaded it to iTunes.

ETA2:  Whoever is in charge of uploading the podcasts to iTunes must have gotten nudged because both ep 301 and 302 are now there.

Edited by WatchrTina

We're still cutting grass in North Carolina and it takes my push mower and me about an hour to finish the job.  Listening to Ron's Podcast on my wireless headphones was a great way to pass the time.  I found interesting his description of how he kept rearranging and revising his original script, which originally timed at fewer than 40 minutes.  Thus the fleshing out of Claire's time in Boston.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:51 PM, Grashka said:

pretending that woman, who is supposed to be 50 (no matter how much attractive), has a body of still young former super model.

People were, on average, much thinner then.  Food was healthier, less available, and generally something to be saved for hard times combined with much greater amounts of manual labor in simple daily life.  Today's people, particularly Americans, are grossly overweight in general.  We've just recently had to come up with a category PAST "morbidly obese" so the medical community could adequately communicate about their patients for heaven's sake.

Edited by areca
  • Love 4

That's absolutely true. Because of rationing during the WWII, the inability to get certain food items due to both blockades and food needed for the troops, and government encouragement to grow personal and community gardens (like Victory Gardens) in which you would use veggies and other things to substitute for foods you'd otherwise eat, people ironically did end up being much healthier (in the U.K. at least) after the war. Lower obesity, lower cholesterol, lower diabetes, etc. Of course, there was a higher risk of being hit with a bomb during the Blitz, so that was the down side.

There was a TV show on British television, that I managed to see called "Supersizers Go..." in which a food critic and a comedian/radio personality would "go back in time" for a week to various periods in British history and pretend to live during that time, with an emphasis on the food. It's an extremely funny, entertaining show. (One of the two people involved was Sue Perkins who used to host the Great British Bake-Off Show.) And the point I made above was their conclusion after the episode which focused on the U.K. during WWII. Generally, people ended up healthier due to being deprived of fattening, sugary foods.

SupersizersGo ... Wartime:

• Love 1

Very interesting!  I will have to check it out.  I absolutely believe people have grown to accept huge sizes as normal now.  We as a society keep eating more and more and often move less and less and it's just not good.  

I look at pictures of my grandparents post ww2 and their friends/family and not one is overweight, let alone obese.  

• Love 1
On 9/16/2017 at 10:48 PM, areca said:

People were, on average, much thinner then.  Food was healthier, less available, and generally something to be saved for hard times combined with much greater amounts of manual labor in simple daily life.  Today's people, particularly Americans, are grossly overweight in general.  We've just recently had to come up with a category PAST "morbidly obese" so the medical community could adequately communicate about their patients for heaven's sake.

I have absolutely nothing to support this, but I also think people might be getting taller each generation, as well.  But I do definitely agree with weight.  For example, when I was 18, I could fit into the dress my grandmother wore to my parents wedding in 1970, when she would have been 55ish and a mother of 3.  I think the tag said size 8, but it is definitely a modern-day size 2/4.  I'm not sure it would even still fit me and I'm considered a healthy weight today.  She definitely fit in to the category of being thinner then.

Yesterday Laura Donelly was a guest on #Outlanderlive on EWRadio. It's a weekly show from Lynette Rice.She recaps and interviews actors/writers and other people from the show. so below is the interview with Laura Donelly from the show. I don't think there are any spoilers in the interview.

LOL! Reese Witherspoon's mother wants to meet "The Outlander."

Oh, and here's a cute article on David Berry who plays Lord John Grey:

David Berry considered saying no to Outlander role until mother-in-law stepped in

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/aussie-actor-david-berry-considered-saying-no-to-outlander-role-but-his-motherinlaw-helped-change-his-mind/news-story/695b04e2e1b7896b95c7605634535912

• Love 1

What I should have said was I thought the practice of referring to Laoghaire by that term originated here.  I've never seen anyone but posters on this board call Laoghaire by that expression until now.  So I was startled to see Connie use it in her photo recap as if it was a commonly understood nickname for her.  Then again, this is really the only Outlander board I read.  Maybe the term has spread across the fandom and I just didn't realize it.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hosebeast has been around for a while. According to the online slang dictionary, it was popularized by Wayne's World in the 90s and again on United States of Tara.

Huh. And here I thought my friends who had been trying to convince me to give this series a try, came up with that term for Laoghaire!? This was 15 years ago.

10 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

What I should have said was I thought the practice of referring to Laoghaire by that term originated here.  I've never seen anyone but posters on this board call Laoghaire by that expression until now.  So I was startled to see Connie use it in her photo recap as if it was a commonly understood nickname for her.  Then again, this is really the only Outlander board I read.  Maybe the term has spread across the fandom and I just didn't realize it.

I remember when we all were anticipating the pilot that I confessed that was my nickname for her and I don't recall anyone correcting me that the term had been around for quite some time.

10 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

That nickname has apparently been around for awhile.  I stumbled around through a number of different boards when I was first reading the books and was nearly scared off of them and the fandom entirely by some of the ... vehemence there.

I've only ever been on three boards in my life since the internet came into existence-my first one was a message board, dedicated to Nora Roberts, but where we could also discuss other authors, television shows, etc., TWoP, and this one. And a yahoo! Group, where my friends talked about this series and hosebeast was used to describe Laoghaire. A lot.??

I rather like the NY Times review that calls the show's version of Jamie and Geneva, as I have, a "fun-house mirror" of Jamie's beginnings with Claire  It also makes the point that many of us have been arguing that while this season has increasingly found Jamie as its center, it's really left Claire as a character flailing.

'A Merciful Heart'

• Love 2

Someone on twitter tweeted the following info, although I don't know where it's posted officially:

Coming up on Outlander:
Oct 8th Episode 305
Oct 15th marathon of 301-305
Oct 22nd Episode 306, 75 minutes long

36 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Okay, I know we're not yet done with Season 3, but I am greedy, and I'm wondering if there is any word on when Season 4 will start filming?

I do not want another Droughtlander... 

It started Saturday or Sunday! Some of the producers and actors mentioned it on Twitter. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Rilla-my-Rilla said:

It started Saturday or Sunday! Some of the producers and actors mentioned it on Twitter. 

As I understand it, TPTB are looking for season 4 to air starting in September 2018. We can expect some new casting announcements soon, I suspect.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

As I understand it, TPTB are looking for season 4 to air starting in September 2018. We can expect some new casting announcements soon, I suspect.

Ah, yes. I wondered if that might be the case. If they go past season 4, this might give them more of a set schedule and probably a longer break for the actors. I'm super curious about some of the casting coming up!