Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

On 10/12/2017 at 3:51 PM, Nidratime said:

OK that's odd.  I could have sworn I'd seen photos or something to suggest Sam was gay, but there's a girlfriend + sex question in here.  Is he trying to pretend to be straight (do people even have to do that anymore?) or am I mistaken?

42 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I think you're mistaken. There's been a girlfriend in the picture for quite a while.

Sam and Cait are both very private about their personal lives. I think all she's said in the past is that she doesn't date guys in the business and refused to elaborate beyond that.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, areca said:

there's a girlfriend + sex question in here

Actually there isn't.  The question was "how did the character Sam played in a soap opera die" and Katrina guessed "in bed with his girlfriend."  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Actually there isn't.  The question was "how did the character Sam played in a soap opera die" and Katrina guessed "in bed with his girlfriend."  

Which is true - I saw that on YouTube. ;-)  

2 hours ago, areca said:

OK that's odd.  I could have sworn I'd seen photos or something to suggest Sam was gay, but there's a girlfriend + sex question in here.  Is he trying to pretend to be straight (do people even have to do that anymore?) or am I mistaken?

I wish the PR machines of the industry weren't wedded to tying the actual lives of the actors so closely to this show. I feel bad for the actors - both C. and S. are in their late 30's with personal relationships and family connections that shouldn't need parading into promotional materials. I think it does them a disservice, and I think the actors are charming and engaging. The idea that fans feed off the crossover of C. and S.'s personal lives into the narrative of Outlander is creepy. 

Edited by koboldin
Fixed the initial of the actor
  • Love 7

There's a spoiler towards the very end of this article, so for those who don't want to know where this show is heading during the second, I'd say stop reading after the photos of Jamie at Ardsmuir prison. Otherwise, this article has some beautiful photographs of scenes we've seen. Just beautiful and describes the intricacies of the cinematography and their challenges.

Outlander: Love Is A Battlefield

https://ascmag.com/articles/outlander-love-is-a-battlefield

I especially thought this paragraph was interesting:

Walker adds that he and Steele attended a Kodachrome photography exhibit by William Eggleston. Admiring his work prompted them to introduce progressive additions of color as the years went on, resulting in the 1940s being more washed out in comparison to 1968s Kodachrome feel, with its stronger reds and blues.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

That makese sense.  I was kind of skipping through, saw the answer and went "Ew, no" so not interested in knowing anything about that question.

The idea that fans feed off the crossover of C. and S.'s personal lives into the narrative of Outlander is creepy. 

That fact that I DON'T do that is precisely why I was confused.  I never get involved with any of that and also didn't go back and sort out the question for precisely the reason that it's squicky, but I could have sworn I saw something to that effect back when Outlander was announced as a series is all.  Anyway...judge on Judgy McJudgerson, judge on.  :-D

Utterly fascinating!  Thank you for sharing this!

Edited by areca
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, areca said:

That makese sense.  I was kind of skipping through, saw the answer and went "Ew, no" so not interested in knowing anything about that question.

That fact that I DON'T do that is precisely why I was confused.  I never get involved with any of that and also didn't go back and sort out the question for precisely the reason that it's squicky, but I could have sworn I saw something to that effect back when Outlander was announced as a series is all.  Anyway...judge on Judgy McJudgerson, judge on.  :-D

No disparaging meant!

If you want to get a sense of the actor's actual social lives, the (non-PR constructed) information is out there. I just feel bad for them that they seemed pressured into providing a window into the personal lives for the sake of the show and that there was obvious effort put into manufacturing personas by marketing. 

I don't know either actor personally, but it doesn't seem that either actor actively seeks to insert their after hours business on the world. That's why I get defensive for them. 

• Love 1

If you want to get a sense of the actor's actual social lives, the (non-PR constructed) information is out there.

I really don't.  Like really, really don't.  I just always thought Sam was an even better actor than I thought.  :P

• Love 1

Can I ask where the show is on on Saturday night? I see the promo on twitter for the episode, counting down like it's on tonight, but I thought it was Sundays. Is it on outside the US on Saturdays or something?

Outlander: A deep dive into 'A. Malcolm'

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/22/outlander-a-malcolm-heughan-balfe-roberts/

Hmm....

Want to keep diving? Join me and Amy Wilkinson at noon ET Monday on Outlander Live!, Sirius XM 105. We’ll gladly take your calls (observations? criticisms?) before talking with Chris Parnell, the co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios, which produces Outlander, about the chances of a fifth season!

Haven't read this one very closely:

Why the Sex in That Outlander Episode Was So Damn Good

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/outlander-sex-so-damn-good.html

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Geneva was 17, I think? I always thought she was the younger. And now I'll have to back and verify. Because I'm anal-retentive that way. And also because Isobel did not look 15.

Well, Geneva didn't look 17 to me either.  But then, I've never been very good at guessing ages.  

37 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Okay. This is total over reach, to say the least!

How Outlander’s Middle-Aged White Women Fans Abandoned Their Real-Life Claire

https://wearyourvoicemag.com/more/entertainment/outlanders-middle-aged-white-women-fans-abandoned-real-life-claire

Oh, for Fuck's sake. I only got a third of the way, before I stopped. And SERIOUSLY side-eyeing this:

She has killed men, lied,

cheated on her husband Frank (Tobias Menzies) and even forced him to raise another man’s (Jamie’s) baby.

DA FUCK, you say? Claire didn't FORCE Frank to do any-fucking thing. And if the writer of the piece really was a huge fan of the show, she would fucking know that. 

Why can't stupid people leave politics out of shows I watch?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

Talk about over-complicating and infusing politics everywhere! Totally agree @GHScorpiosRule! Good grief.

And this... "They even had a theory as to why the audience was largely older adult women." ... Their theory is all Strong Women this, Strong Women that. 

I'm a middle-aged woman, and for me, it's simple. I have been waiting over twenty freaking years to see these books done, and I'm ecstatic that they're done well. It has nothing to do with politics, feminism, or social-anything. It's simply that they're fantastic character-driven stories, and I like them. Of course I'd become a fan of the show! I read the first book when I was 24 or 25 years old, for Pete's sake. When it came out! I have lived most of my adult life with these characters existing!

FFS. I should have followed @WatchrTina's lead and not clicked on the link. My own fault. Live and learn, I guess.

• Love 5

LOL I was wondering the same thing about the podcast.  If they waited to record it until after the episode aired then, yeah, they must be drawing straws over who has to be the one to talk about the creative decisions that affected the print shop / photos-of-Bree scene.  I wonder if they'll even mention the twitter back-and-forth between Sam and the "Outlander Writers" twitter handle. I bet not -- why draw attention to that for the non-twitter crowd?  But even if they ignore that they ARE going to have to address the changes from the book in that scene because so many people have talked about it.

Now if they recorded it before the episode aired, that would also be interesting.  I'd like to know what their unvarnished thoughts were on the episode.

• Love 2

Okay because I’m bored and want to watch the last episode right before tonight’s episode, I watched the Comic Con and hoooo boy! If I can’t get a clean shaven Roger, then that scrub he was sporting would be acceptable!???

I’m really not a fan of the thick beard.

I ??????? at the arms crossed at his chest Sam had as he looked at Cait when Jenna asked which costar she preferred to kiss-Tobias or Sam! And she chose to dance instead of answering. So diplomatic!

• Love 1

Not a bad review of this episode. However, I don't know why the reviewer would be surprised by Jamie's "jealousy." Jealousy is not often based on logic, but on feelings more about oneself -- shortcomings, opportunities missed, past decisions, etc. Jamie might be the "King of Men," but he is a man. As for Claire, she's always felt frustrated by what she couldn't do medically for those in the past that she could do in the future. But, I can imagine her feeling it much more right now since she's fresh from the future and is also a *surgeon* -- someone who is part of a group who were often treated like gods in "modern times" and modern medicine.

Claire and Jamie are still being jealous fools on Outlander

https://www.avclub.com/claire-and-jamie-are-still-being-jealous-fools-on-outla-1819952349

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Not a bad review of this episode. However, I don't know why the reviewer would be surprised by Jamie's "jealousy." Jealousy is not often based on logic, but on feelings more about oneself -- shortcomings, opportunities missed, past decisions, etc. Jamie might be the "King of Men," but he is a man. As for Claire, she's always felt frustrated by what she couldn't do medically for those in the past that she could do in the future. But, I can imagine her feeling it much more right now since she's fresh from the future and is also a *surgeon* -- someone who is part of a group who were often treated like gods in "modern times" and modern medicine.

Claire and Jamie are still being jealous fools on Outlander

https://www.avclub.com/claire-and-jamie-are-still-being-jealous-fools-on-outla-1819952349

I"m not even going to click on that article based on asinine headline. Nothing against you, @Nidratime!

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I"m not even going to click on that article based on asinine headline. Nothing against you, @Nidratime!

The person reviewing Outlander for the AV Club isn't very good, I'm afraid.  She isn't very insightful and misses a lot of stuff.  When reviewers base their opinions on incorrect information I lose my mind.  

• Love 2

The writers are doing a Q&A on twitter right now. This is their handle if you want to check it out later:

Outlander Writers‏Verified account @OutlanderWriter

Here's a question/answer that just popped up:

Q: Loved changes from book; was strain/discord added for more depth/realism or for suspense for them to rediscover each other #OutlanderALN

A: Yes, strain/discord built in to explore/demonstrate how each has changed after 20 years apart in vastly different centuries. #OutlanderALN

• Love 2