Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The books jumped the shark for me somewhere in the middle of the fifth, so how is the show not going to do that too?  (In my opinion, of course.)  If it goes that long, I guess I'll be curious to see how the show can "fix" it.

The show has already demonstrated that the books are an outline, not a bible, so I'm really not worried about that.   There is enough plot to drive a show - the only question is how compelling that show would be.   And I guess we'll just have to see.  But if it goes longer than 6 seasons, I'll be surprised, simply because the people involved are going to be so very sick of it. 

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

How does it compare ratings-wise to Black Sails or Spartacus?

Power is by far Starz' biggest hit, followed by Outlander.  Both did much better than Black Sails.  

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/starz-tv-show-ratings/

On 1/18/2018 at 11:23 PM, ganesh said:

A ten year show would be a first.

There have been lots of 10 year shows over the years...  Right off the top of my head SNL, Survivor, American Idol, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Real World, This Old House, 60 Minutes, ER, South Park, CSI, It's Always Sunny...  There has to be tons more...

18 minutes ago, areca said:

There have been lots of 10 year shows over the years...  Right off the top of my head SNL, Survivor, American Idol, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Real World, This Old House, 60 Minutes, ER, South Park, CSI, It's Always Sunny...  There has to be tons more...

I think they meant it would be a first for STARZ to have a 10-year show. Which, I'm kinda of the opinion that it would be cool for Outlander to be their first. ;)

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I could have sworn Power premiered after this show. Regardless, I am willing to stay on the ride for as long as it runs. And hope it gets to 8 at least.?

Power premiered in June 2014 and Outlander in August 2014.  Power has completed 4 seasons and I don't think a release date for season 5 has been announced yet, thought it should be sometime in 2018.  

On 1/19/2018 at 6:35 AM, DittyDotDot said:

Well, there aren't 10 books, there currently are eight with a ninth set to come out...whenever Diana finishes it. But, I don't think the source material will determine the length of the show. I think ratings and interest in the show will. As long as people keep watching, I think they'll keep renewing it. 

Not if the actors aren't into doing it. Starz is handicapped by whatever the actors' contracts are. The network can renew til their blue in the face, but if they actors are only signed until say, seven seasons, then that's it. Starz would have to negotiate new contracts -- which would likely be paying them way more than before, thus driving the shows' budget up and making it more expensive to produce. Or maybe the actors won't want to do it anymore.

13 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Not if the actors aren't into doing it. Starz is handicapped by whatever the actors' contracts are. The network can renew til their blue in the face, but if they actors are only signed until say, seven seasons, then that's it. Starz would have to negotiate new contracts -- which would likely be paying them way more than before, thus driving the shows' budget up and making it more expensive to produce. Or maybe the actors won't want to do it anymore.

Of course! My point being that I don't think the network is basing their decision to renew on how much source material they have to work with; it's a business decision more than anything and cast contracts are a part of that. 

• Love 1

That was my initial point. They could have 57 books out; it's irrelevant to producing a tv show. Plus, when you get deeper into a series run, the lead actors tend to get producer credits which could up the costs. I don't know if that's the case here, but it's a fairly common practice. 

I still think that the renewal of 5 and 6 at the same time is intended to wrap the series. The network and anyone who wants to buy the books know where the story is going. They may not think it's sustainable much longer.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

I still think that the renewal of 5 and 6 at the same time is intended to wrap the series.

I can't speak for the network, but seasons 3 and 4 were also renewed at the same time, and right after season two was coming to an end. I've read nothing that would indicate a wrap up to the series.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:09 AM, kariyaki said:

Isn't that sort of what's happening with Game of Thrones? I thought I read that between actor salaries and the enormous amount of CGI, the series was getting too expensive to produce. An hour length drama with no commercials is almost like shooting a mini-movie. I can see where actors would get burnt out after so many seasons and want to move on to something else. 

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Isn't that sort of what's happening with Game of Thrones? I thought I read that between actor salaries and the enormous amount of CGI, the series was getting too expensive to produce. An hour length drama with no commercials is almost like shooting a mini-movie. I can see where actors would get burnt out after so many seasons and want to move on to something else. 

It's my understanding that HBO would be happy for Game of Thrones to go on indefinitely and it is the showrunners who have set the limits since they would like to go and have lives again.  Yeah, it's expensive but it's ENORMOUSLY successful for HBO.  

HBO isn't Starz though. Starz hasn't had a long running series in the history of their network. HBO has navigated several that were 5-7 seasons. I don't think comparing the networks is apt. It could be that Starz made a network decision to find a long running, epic series since there's clearly a market for it. 

But it's also true that salaries will increase, or actors want a producer credit etc., so Starz may have additional constraints. 

2 hours ago, Nidratime said:

From ET. I guess this would be considered a spoiler for the season 3 DVD, so don't watch if you don't want to see the chemistry test between Sam and Cait. (There will probably be more on the DVD.)

http://www.outlandertvnews.com/2018/02/first-footage-released-from-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe-outlander-chemistry-test/

Oh it had my heart thumping and bumping!!!!! They are soooooooo GOOOOOOD in this!

On 1/24/2018 at 10:54 PM, BitterApple said:

I don't think so - I think GoT is wrapping up because the story is wrapping up.  George RR Martin told the 2 showrunners how it would/should end, and they are honoring that vision and plot.

• Love 1

Heads up from Twitter:

Yvonne Villarreal @villarrealy -- #Outlander fans: @latimesent has a treat for you. We'll have @SamHeughan in the studio Monday (3/19) for a live video chat at 10:30 am PT... AND THEN we'll be joined by @caitrionambalfe at 11:30 am. Send in your Qs using #askLATimes (Link will be posted soon)

15 hours ago, Nidratime said:

For those ordering the Season 3 DVDs, here is a deleted scene. Don't watch if you want to wait for the DVDs. This is from Entertainment Weekly.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/03/outlander-bonus-scene-heartsick-lord-john-grey/

I'm actually glad that's a deleted scene because it kind of makes LJG look like an idiot.  Surely there was a less lame way to communicate his sadness over Jamie.  Isobel is probably thinking he's a loon. 

• Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, toolazy said:

I'm actually glad that's a deleted scene because it kind of makes LJG look like an idiot.  Surely there was a less lame way to communicate his sadness over Jamie.  Isobel is probably thinking he's a loon. 

Could not agree more.  This is awful.

1 hour ago, areca said:

I wish Sam would bulk back up and put some weight on his face.  He doesn't look like Jamie anymore really.

He's supposed to look 20 years older.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, areca said:

Which means he should not be a Euroslim modern looking man at *all*.

I don't think he looks "Euroslim" whatever that is nor do I agree that he looks modern.  He looks like a man who makes his living with his body, but inside.  Printing presses are hard work.  I'm pretty sure that the kind of body that Sam had in the first season - all that bulked-up muscle - wasn't that common back them.  He got that body in a gym, not from working on a farm or as a groom.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, toolazy said:

I don't think he looks "Euroslim" whatever that is nor do I agree that he looks modern.  He looks like a man who makes his living with his body, but inside.  Printing presses are hard work.  I'm pretty sure that the kind of body that Sam had in the first season - all that bulked-up muscle - wasn't that common back them.  He got that body in a gym, not from working on a farm or as a groom.  

It was definitely common.  At any rate, there is no requirement for agreement and so we will agree to disagree.  I think he looks waifish, gaunt, and not at all manly at this point in time.  Tall just isn't enough.

Reading that TV Line article more closely, it also says that season 5 and 6 will be 12 episodes, so we're losing one -- unless some of them will be supersized. I haven't read books 5 and 6, but I'm guessing 5 could withstand losing an episode. Don't know about 6. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Reading that TV Line article more closely, it also says that season 5 and 6 will be 12 episodes, so we're losing one -- unless some of them will be supersized. I haven't read books 5 and 6, but I'm guessing 5 could withstand losing an episode. Don't know about 6. 

There's also been some hints from RDM and the other writers than some material may essentially be switched between books; I gather these two books are most likely the possible subjects for moving material around for television.

Edited by theschnauzers

Personal arguments over an actor’s body type are off topic for this thread and were removed. Let’s stick to media discussion, please. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Hmm, 7 month hiatus after season 4? Who knows when season 5 will actually air, then.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/outlander/news/a857054/outlander-season-5-air-date/

So it's what? About a year and two months from the beginning of season 3 (September) to the beginning of season 4 (November) so if they keep to that schedule, it will be January 2020 before we see season 5.   I don't really mind - I rather that they do it right rather than quickly.

(edited)

As some of you may know, Outlander (the book series) is on the list of the 100 books being celebrated via PBS for The Great American Read. The Great American Read tv program was on PBS last night and you can also watch it online, I think. But, most importantly, they're giving every one a chance to vote for their favorite book of the 100 offered, and the winner will be announced in the fall. You can vote for as many books as you want and as often as you want. If Outlander is truly one of your favorites, here's your chance to throw it one vote or a few votes over the summer!

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/

Edited by Nidratime